PDA

View Full Version : Amount of omega 3's needed per day?

Mighty
03-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey guys, I did a couple searches and couldn't find an exact number. Is there a target specific amount in milligrams or grams that we should be getting of omega 3's for Daves diet? Thanks a million for the help

natron
03-23-2009, 05:07 PM
4-6 grams of DHA/EPA daily, in divided doses, with meals.

Frosty
03-24-2009, 12:38 AM
natron, would you agree that short term high doses can be beneficial to make rapid changes?

I say this because most people eat way too many omega-6s and way too many omega-3s, so their cell membranes are messed up in composition and function. Very high doses of omega-3s and low amounts of omega-6s (essentially the opposite of a SAD) would facilitate rapid changes in cell membranes and make good changes in the body quickly. Then you can back off to a more maintenance dose with somewhere around a 1:1 ratio of the EFAs.

Dr. Joel Nathan
03-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Through my work in Age Management, just want to let you in on a prescription Omega 3 proprietary product called Lovaza. It comes in 1gm caps. The FDA recommends it for lowering triglycerides; however, the Age Management Literature says that in doses of 4 gm/day, it will help with concentration and focus.

Lovaza is made from herring, anchovies and halibut. Tuna or Shark live a long time and pick up heavy metals. The smaller fish don't live as long and so don't pick up the high heavy metal concentrations.

So for you guys with pharmacy coverage, this might be cheaper and more reliably pure than buying it over the counter.

Joel

SonOfPluto
03-24-2009, 03:17 AM
Does ingesting a lot of fish oil, cause your skin to smell like it?

NPCKnight
03-24-2009, 04:52 AM
1-3 pills is prob 'good'. 6-10 pills is better in my mind and obviously a complete and deliberate attempt to consume a lot of fish oil.
I use 6-10 whenever I have the abundance and always pre contest. I am going to start megadosing with 6-7 per meal...should get in almost 50g per day of fish oil alone.

natron
03-24-2009, 06:07 AM
Does ingesting a lot of fish oil, cause your skin to smell like it?

No it doesn't

natron
03-24-2009, 06:08 AM
natron, would you agree that short term high doses can be beneficial to make rapid changes?

I say this because most people eat way too many omega-6s and way too many omega-3s, so their cell membranes are messed up in composition and function. Very high doses of omega-3s and low amounts of omega-6s (essentially the opposite of a SAD) would facilitate rapid changes in cell membranes and make good changes in the body quickly. Then you can back off to a more maintenance dose with somewhere around a 1:1 ratio of the EFAs.

What do you mean "High doses"??? Personally I would never go over 20g/daily.

Frosty
03-24-2009, 10:44 AM
natron, I've been using 4g of fish oil per meal, 6 meals a day. It's a very high dose in my opinion because my fish oil is 60% EPA/DHA, and 8.4g of DHA total. I've been having very fast results with this.

natron
03-24-2009, 11:07 AM
natron, I've been using 4g of fish oil per meal, 6 meals a day. It's a very high dose in my opinion because my fish oil is 60% EPA/DHA, and 8.4g of DHA total. I've been having very fast results with this.

I really don't see too much a problem with that. The results are probably great.

I still wish someone would come out with a 1gram softgel that contained 1gram of EPA/DHA.

natron
03-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Whats the epa/dha ratio of your product, out of curiosity???

natron
03-24-2009, 11:10 AM
The only real worries would be COX inhibition, ala ibuprofen, naproxen sodium etc... Also a negative effect on testosterone levels however I've never seen how much it affects this??? May be somewhat of a moot point, I'm not too sure.

Legend
03-24-2009, 12:57 PM
1-3 pills is prob 'good'. 6-10 pills is better in my mind and obviously a complete and deliberate attempt to consume a lot of fish oil.
I use 6-10 whenever i have the abundance and always pre contest. I am going to start megadosing with 6-7 per meal...should get in almost 50g per day of fish oil alone.

???

natron
03-24-2009, 01:01 PM
[/size]

???

HAHA, that's a LITTLE exessive

Youngguns
03-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Very excessive. However there will always be someone taking things to the edge. 3 grams of a quality oil should be fine. Especially if you eat salmon a few times per week.

Put your oil in the freezer, does it freeze? How fast does it thaw? This will show the purity. Omega 3 is how fish live in frigid waters. And if it gets cloudy in the fridge... low quality or possibly not even real fish oil. Be weary of cheap producs.

natron
03-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Very excessive. However there will always be someone taking things to the edge. 3 grams of a quality oil should be fine. Especially if you eat salmon a few times per week.

Put your oil in the freezer, does it freeze? How fast does it thaw? This will show the purity. Omega 3 is how fish live in frigid waters. And if it gets cloudy in the fridge... low quality or possibly not even real fish oil. Be weary of cheap producs.

That's a bold statement, please elaborate???

NPCKnight
03-24-2009, 04:33 PM
excessive....taking it to the edge...whatever you want to call it.

I have been bouncing this idea around for over a year and a half now first starting with Charles Polquin's ideas. That is what first turned me onto the fact that it could be beneficial to run a high dose fish oil protocol of [30g+]. You all know Razor and his knowledge...and he himself takes in 7-9g per meal often. He is in the 70g a day range I believe and is a believer. I will have to do a little more in depth thinking about just how long I will do this and what I will watch for and how long ill watch for incase I dont see any benefit.

Also running low dose t3 on a bulk....am I gonna get flak for that?

NPCKnight
03-24-2009, 04:34 PM
[/size]

???

6-7 per meal x 6-7 meals. 36-49g/day
:) hey....cant hurt to try it.

Frosty
03-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Whats the epa/dha ratio of your product, out of curiosity???

I take two fish oil supplements. One is NSI fish oil that's 400mg EPA and 200mg DHA per 1g cap. The other is Carlson DHA which is 500mg DHA and 100mg EPA. 2 of each per meal, which yields 1000mg EPA and 1200mg DHA per meal.

I do this since DHA is the main component to increase insulin sensitivity.

Frosty
03-24-2009, 07:38 PM
HAHA, that's a LITTLE exessive

It may or may not be. 50g of a 30% EPA/DHA fish oil (most cheaper capsules and most liquids) blend is almost identical to my 24g of 60%. The dose of EPA/DHA and the ratios are the important numbers. I get more DHA through my 24g than most people get taking 60+g of regular fish oil.

Youngguns
03-24-2009, 07:45 PM
That's a bold statement, please elaborate???

On the dosage?

Frosty
03-24-2009, 07:50 PM

Cloudy oil could just indicate a lower concentration of PUFAs and more MUFAs, which make up the majority of actual fish fat.

Judge
03-25-2009, 05:23 AM
I aim at about 800mg of EPA and DHA, that means about 2 caps of Omacor (Solvay)

SilverBAK
03-28-2009, 04:49 PM
I take 1 Triple strength fish oil pill (GNC) with each of my 6 meals and I also use 3g evening primrose oil a day for healthy GLA (o-6). I use 6g CLA as well. results from taking that much omega-3 alone have been amazing: focus, strength, improved recovery, joint improvement, body composition improvement.... the list goes on.