PDA

View Full Version : Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding - good for beginners?

PTB
11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I, like many when I first started working out used Arnold's book as a guide, and followed his exercises/sets/reps to the letter.

I was often extremely sore afterwards.

I was just browsing it again in a bookstore. My question is would many of you consider this overtraining - particularly for a beginner?

I found his level II beginner extremely high in volume, and you are basically training body parts twice per week.

I'm sure everyone's body is different, but given today's approach, is this a bit much?

TheTransformator
11-24-2009, 11:53 AM
It is high volume training based on the fact that ergogenic usuage is included within the training sessions...so yes...overtraining wouldn't be out of the question if you attempt his routine natrually...!

ironwarrior22
11-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Over training isn't always a bad thing in my opinion. As a beginner it can be good in that it will assimilate your body and muscles to the new movements very quickly.

Irish
11-24-2009, 12:50 PM
I think beginners get disillusioned with working out when they follow a high volume workout with little or no knowlege in regards to nutrition. They put in max effort for little gains, IMO keep it simple at first, and training should be enjoyable (to a point).

TheTransformator
11-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Over training isn't always a bad thing in my opinion. As a beginner it can be good in that it will assimilate your body and muscles to the new movements very quickly.

Yes...you're right...but usually a beginner gets stuck and after the initial gains wonders why he is not improving anymore...while he follows the program to the T...do this for a long time and you garantueed to burn out and loose the joy for training and getting results...

Youngguns
11-24-2009, 01:08 PM
The entire book is pretty poor quality. Albeit much better than 0 knowledge, but tis the age of the internet.

Ironman19871
11-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Best beginners book. Period. Anyone that says otherwise doesn't know their ass from their elbow. The book covers everything. It gives a beginner a good knowledge base. Bodybuilding is trial and error at all levels.

No such thing as over-training. Under-recovering is the real issue.

DICE
11-24-2009, 02:06 PM
^ GREAT beginners book. I probably helped sell a hundred or so over the years, when people come up to me at the gym and ask stupid questions I direct them to buy said book.

PTB
11-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Best beginners book. Period. Anyone that says otherwise doesn't know their ass from their elbow. The book covers everything. It gives a beginner a good knowledge base. Bodybuilding is trial and error at all levels.

No such thing as over-training. Under-recovering is the real issue.
To be fair, certainly Arnold and those BB'ers from the "golden era", spend their whole day training, whereas you see most pros today spend an hour in the weight room, and an hour doing cardio.

Certainly there are more drugs to choose from besides d-bol.

I'm also sure most of those ol skool guys do not like to see today's physiques anyway, so even more they would see no reason to change what worked for them, and what create what they feel are still the ideal physiques.

But for a guy who is just getting on board, I'm not sure I'd start them on Level I out the gate, and certainly not Level II - especially if they are just looking to build muscle or get into shape - and not become a hardcore bodybuilder.

I do however like most of the book as it gives a good intro and explains Arnold's principles on getting started, diet, and contest prep. I'm mostly focusing on the training programs.

MusclesMarinara
11-25-2009, 02:43 PM
The book is filled with a ton of information about bodybuilding, although it is somewhat outdated ofcourse.

The only problem i see with the book is even his beginning training programs would be too much for a beginner imo.

G-Roy
11-25-2009, 04:07 PM
when I started lifting about 5 years ago, I ordered two books, The encyclopedia and some publication from the 90's filled with spandex. I tossed the later. I would pick out excercises before each workout and there was always something new. I love that book, I do think the volume is a little bit much, but as a beginner you can handle it.

Atom Smasher
12-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Beginners benefit from high volume in a way that more advanced bb'ers don't. Volume provides intensity most beginners don't provide for themselves.

Even Dorian recommends High Volume for beginners. Come on people. Arnold has a great program, even if the time in the gym is a little excessive for most recreational bodybuilders.

Landworth
12-21-2009, 12:11 AM
This is the one book that I started with! I love it! It is what truly got me into bodybuilding!!! However I don't think that any one workout works for everyone... It is very important to think for yourself and explore the limits of your own body. While I love the book and the knowledge that it gave me starting out I never once used arnolds set workouts. I created my own workouts and have gone from a tiny 150lb wanna be football stud to a 210 lb driven and goal oriented bodybuilder. And when I say bodybuilder I don't just mean physically, but the mental change and lifestyle change was the most significant. Books are opinions, and anyone who accepts someone elses reality so readily has severely crippled themselves. Take in all of the information u can, and the encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding has a great "base" for information, but expand yourself and your own philosephies and build your internal bodybuilder as well as your external... But beginners should keep in mind that building your own philosiphies has it's grey areas when it comes to how hard u push yourself. Always push your limits and strive for greatness on a personal level. With that I at least have reached and surpassed many of my own goals

DBowden
12-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Great book with a ton of information useful to a beginner.

DBowden
12-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Arnold has a great program, even if the time in the gym is a little excessive for most recreational bodybuilders.

Key to the whole thing.

Aussie_Muscle
01-13-2010, 04:45 AM
This is the one book that I started with! I love it! It is what truly got me into bodybuilding!!! However I don't think that any one workout works for everyone... It is very important to think for yourself and explore the limits of your own body. While I love the book and the knowledge that it gave me starting out I never once used arnolds set workouts. I created my own workouts and have gone from a tiny 150lb wanna be football stud to a 210 lb driven and goal oriented bodybuilder. And when I say bodybuilder I don't just mean physically, but the mental change and lifestyle change was the most significant. Books are opinions, and anyone who accepts someone elses reality so readily has severely crippled themselves. Take in all of the information u can, and the encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding has a great "base" for information, but expand yourself and your own philosephies and build your internal bodybuilder as well as your external... But beginners should keep in mind that building your own philosiphies has it's grey areas when it comes to how hard u push yourself. Always push your limits and strive for greatness on a personal level. With that I at least have reached and surpassed many of my own goals

I agree. A great book for everything to do with bodybuilding a nutrition but its not always good to follow the workouts of others of precribed by others. Use the knowledge you gain from the book to try your own stuff out and see what works for you. Stick at it for a while and you will see results. The main thing is to train, eat and sleep.

vboissiere
01-13-2010, 04:47 AM

Never thought of it that way, but good point!

mygirlsdad
01-13-2010, 10:27 AM
a lot of info and some classic pics, but definitely not up to date in regards to supps and nutrition

"Rodz"
01-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Definately a motivating book, lots of exercises to use as guides