PDA

View Full Version : training for bulk suggestions

GirlyMuscle
02-10-2009, 10:57 AM
I picked a show. It's not until Oct/Nov. So I have some time to gain a little before I cut. I want to do a clean bulk so I'm using Dave's diet plus moderate carbs. Looks a little like this...

meal 1-4 25g pro/25g carbs/15fat
meal 5-6 will be no carbs, higher fat

post workout meal (whichever it ends up being) will be 50carbs

I want to do a basic training plan to add mass. I want to do it for 8-12 weeks. Suggestions?

Shawn Bellon
02-10-2009, 11:16 AM
I would do a DC split.

Shawn Bellon
02-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Day one would be Monday and would be:

Chest

shoulders

triceps

back width

back thickness

Day two would be Wednesday and would be

biceps

forearms

calves

hams

quads

Day three would be Friday and would be the same as day one but with different exercises

chest

shoulders

triceps

back width

back thickness

(sat+sun off)

Day four would be the following Monday and would be the same as day two but with different exercises

biceps

forearms

calves

hams

quads

and so on Wenesday, Friday, Monday, Wenesday etc.

You’re hitting every bodypart twice in 8 days. The volume on everything is simply as many warmup sets as you need to do- to be ready for your ONE work set. That can be two warmup sets for a small muscle group or five warmup sets for a large muscle group on heavy exercise like rack deadlifts. The ONE work set is either a straight set or a rest pause set (depending on your recovery abilities again). For people on the lowest scale of recovery its just that one straight set---next up is a straight set with statics for people with slightly better than that recovery----next up is rest pausing (on many of the of movements) with statics for people with middle of the road recovery on up.

As you progress as a bodybuilder you need to take even more rest time and recovery time. READ THAT AGAIN PLEASE AS YOU PROGRESS AS A BODYBUILDER IN SIZE AND STRENGTH YOU NEED TO TAKE EVEN MORE REST AND RECOVERY TIME. EXAMPLE: My recovery ability is probably slightly better now than when I started lifting 13 years ago but only slightly...but back then I was benching 135lbs and squatting 155lbs in my first months of lifting. Now I am far and away the strongest person in my gym using poundages three to six times greater than when I first started lifting. With my recovery ability being what it is both then and now, do you think I need more time to recover from a 155lb squat for 8 reps or a 500LB squat for 8 reps? Obviously the answer is NOW! Yet remember this-the more times you can train a bodypart in a years time and recover will mean the fastest growth possible! I’ve done the training a bodypart every 10 days system in the past and while recovering from that--the gains were so slow over time I got frustrated and realized the frequency of growth phases(for me)was to low. I want to gain upwards of 104 times a year instead of 52--the fastest rate that I can accumulate muscle (YET AGAIN WITHIN ONES RECOVERY ABILITY-I CANT SAY THAT ENOUGH)

I have been slowly changing my philosophies of training over the past 13 years to where I am now. I’ve been gaining so fast the last couple of years it’s been pretty amazing. I’ve got my training down to extremely low volume (a rest pause set or ONE straight set) with extreme stretching, and with recovery issues always in the back of my mind. I realize the number one problem in this sport that will make or break a bodybuilder is overtraining. Simply as this--you overtrain your done as a bodybuilder gainswise. Kaput. Zip. A waste of valuable time. But I also think there is a problem with underfrequency (only if you can train hardcore enough with extremely low volume to recover). I skirt right along the line of overtraining--I am right there...I’ve done everything in my power (Stretching, glutamine, "super supplements", sleep)to keep me on this side of the line and its worked for me. I believe everyone has different recovery abilities--the job of a bodybuilder is to find out what their individual recovery ability is and do the least amount of hardcore training to grow so they can train that bodypart as frequently as possible. For anyone who wants to follow my lead that would mean starting out with straight sets training 4 times in 8 days and strictly gauging yourself recovery wise with every step up you take (statics, rest pauses)--I would rather you wait until my next article comes out to go over the details of this kind of training before you attempt it--as its important to me that everyone who wants to do this does it correctly.

GirlyMuscle
02-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Wow...thanks Future!

I figured I'd be doing something like that. Training heavier but shorter with long rest periods. And more calories and weight gain which I'm strangely ok with. I'm mapping out the next ten months and it's all working our perfectly.

Shawn Bellon
02-10-2009, 11:38 AM
This DOES work. Just kick your ass when you train!

IslandGirl
02-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I agree with Future. DC would give you the gains that you want provided your nutrition is on track and you train with intensity. Sounds like you are set to go.

I actually train on a 3-day split tho' because of limited time in the gym and I train with Cam. This has worked for me.

Shawn Bellon
02-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Plus proportionally Trace you are very strong! That is something for you to excel. And being more advanced than so many you might need a little more as well. I tweak Tami's stuff as we go with the normal principles but adjust it from there.

If, Girly, you want to do the 3 day rotation do it after the 2 day rotation for a while. Give it time to see how you excel with it. Its a proven system any way you slice it.

IslandGirl
02-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Plus proportionally Trace you are very strong! That is something for you to excel. And being more advanced than so many you might need a little more as well. I tweak Tami's stuff as we go with the normal principles but adjust it from there.

If, Girly, you want to do the 3 day rotation do it after the 2 day rotation for a while. Give it time to see how you excel with it. Its a proven system any way you slice it.

Yes, I'm with you Shawn. You need to find out what suits you the best. I suggest you try the 2 way first Girly and see what you can get out of that. I have tried it that way and it just seemed that our workouts took so long to complete. Plus when I was prepping, then I still had to do cardio.

Good luck!

Tami Bellon
02-10-2009, 01:40 PM
I can tell you, Erin, that I started DC before my first show 3 years ago and although I change things up every once in a while, I always come back to it. It's VERY intense and my gains haven't stopped yet. I do very well with this scheme even being advanced.

Shawn Bellon
02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
And you back development along with your legs shows it! :)