PDA

View Full Version : deep fried turkey

jgrogs
11-26-2009, 12:49 AM
hey guys, so, tommorrow is thanksgiving and i am going to my parents who have got the brilliant idea of deep frying a turkey. i hear its unbelievably good butdoes anyone know how bad it is for you?

jassa1989
11-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Anything fried is bad for u but once in a while is not gonna kill u

antonbrn
11-26-2009, 02:09 AM
My brother-in-law made two for us, they're always good. Try to get it cripy on the outside.

Mouse
11-28-2009, 11:16 AM
I've had these before. They're very good but it's an awful lot of work. You need a ton of peanut oil (not sure what you do with it all afterward) and if you're not careful, it can be a bit dangerous. Put a bird that's not completely defrosted in the oil and you'll create a Napalm situation. I'll stick with the old fashioned method.

MichaelWayne
11-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Don't be a gay, try it. But, agree with having a lot of Peanut Oil left over afterwards (strain it and you'll get another 2-3 uses out of it. BUT, you have to freeze it, doesn't keep to long after)...wish I would've bought the Infra-red cooker. Looks just like the oil style cooker, but, yep..no OIL!

Regardless if you do one or not here is how I roll, get the oil to 325, bird should be around 12-14lbs (go over and it turns out not so decent), and fully defrosted. The night before brine that baby overnight, hour before drop, inject the hell out of it.....3.5mins a pound and you're all set. Should be 175-180 internal (will continue to cook after its been taken out) Let sit for 15 and serve.

I'll never make a oven bird again...no matter what you do and how you do it, you get a turkey thats too dry for me and taste oh so bland in my eyes.

timmytimm3
01-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Don't be a gay, try it. But, agree with having a lot of Peanut Oil left over afterwards (strain it and you'll get another 2-3 uses out of it. BUT, you have to freeze it, doesn't keep to long after)...wish I would've bought the Infra-red cooker. Looks just like the oil style cooker, but, yep..no OIL!

Regardless if you do one or not here is how I roll, get the oil to 325, bird should be around 12-14lbs (go over and it turns out not so decent), and fully defrosted. The night before brine that baby overnight, hour before drop, inject the hell out of it.....3.5mins a pound and you're all set. Should be 175-180 internal (will continue to cook after its been taken out) Let sit for 15 and serve.

I'll never make a oven bird again...no matter what you do and how you do it, you get a turkey thats too dry for me and taste oh so bland in my eyes.

I do the same, but get the oil to around 370 before I drop the bird in (slowly). I cook at 350 for about 3 mins/pound. I find that if you can keep the heat up, the oil won't get into the meat as much. As long as you don't eat the skin, it's not very oily at all. The skin is definately the best part though...