PDA

View Full Version : Offseason and Contest day BF%

fatbackgoal
11-26-2009, 07:19 PM
I was curious what bf% most people try to stay at during the offseason. As I work my way down I was thinking that staying somewhere around the 12% range would be good for starting your pre-contest diet. Also what are the usual bf% when natural competitors step onstage for a local show? I am sure as you move up the ladder it gets lower and lower

ArabMuscle
11-26-2009, 11:25 PM
10-12% is the range to be when bulking up (clean). Personally, if I bulk up dirty I go up to 14%. If I bulk up clean I stay around 7-10%.

I've read somewhere a long time back (sorry, couldn't find the article to reference my statement) that bulking on 10% is best, since your body's metabolic and anabolic mechanisms work optimally at that range.

AminoAmigo
11-27-2009, 04:15 AM
i can't even tell my bf level ... i think i was down to like 6-8 % ( all time minimum ) and now i'm maybe like 12 % or higher ... i really don't know because that's nothing i like to measure.

i just go by the mirror and the scale. if i can add some weight and still look ok, it's all good.

i think i just can't get really fat, because my metabolism is so fast.

heard somebody say that natural competitors can't get really lean but i have seen some really shredded natty bbs on stage ... it seems like if you're natural, your genetics are much more important if you want to become really lean.

DAVIDHARDY
12-01-2009, 10:26 AM
i can't even tell my bf level ... i think i was down to like 6-8 % ( all time minimum ) and now i'm maybe like 12 % or higher ... i really don't know because that's nothing i like to measure.

i just go by the mirror and the scale. if i can add some weight and still look ok, it's all good.

i think i just can't get really fat, because my metabolism is so fast.

heard somebody say that natural competitors can't get really lean but i have seen some really shredded natty bbs on stage ... it seems like if you're natural, your genetics are much more important if you want to become really lean.

That's because most people are flat out lazy and want an excuse for not being ripped. They say, "Well, I don't have the assistance like those guys do". Fuck that shit! Put in the work and you WILL get ripped! There are less ripped natty guys though, I have noticed that, so maybe they just are scared of "over dieting" so they don't diet hard enough or do enough work because they might "lose size". I'd rather be peeled and slightly "under sized" than "big" and smooth.

juiceinator3000
12-01-2009, 10:41 AM
natural competitors tend to be able to get more lean than assisted ones. i don't know who the hell said they can't get really lean, but they obviously have no clue what they're talking about.

DAVIDHARDY
12-01-2009, 10:49 AM
natural competitors tend to be able to get more lean than assisted ones. i don't know who the hell said they can't get really lean, but they obviously have no clue what they're talking about.

I think that lighter competitors in general get more shredded than the bigger guys. Nattys are lighter, obviously, so that is a good point that you make. Never thought of it like that.

juiceinator3000
12-01-2009, 11:34 AM
I think that lighter competitors in general get more shredded than the bigger guys. Nattys are lighter, obviously, so that is a good point that you make. Never thought of it like that.

10% BF at 300 pounds is 30 pounds and 10% at 200 is 20 which makes it less drastic dieting and generally less time needed to diet. its obviously easier to lose 20 pounds as opposed to 30. in my personal opinion to, considering top pros arent losing 30 pounds usually more like 50 or so, your skin won't generally adapt as well so i think it could be why imo the bigger national guys always look less conditioned (ie loose skin on their ass) than the smaller guys. regardless, being natural does have its disadvantages. although it is generally easier to get lean, you will undoubtedly lose muscle while dieting.

DAVIDHARDY
12-01-2009, 12:11 PM
10% BF at 300 pounds is 30 pounds and 10% at 200 is 20 which makes it less drastic dieting and generally less time needed to diet. its obviously easier to lose 20 pounds as opposed to 30. in my personal opinion to, considering top pros arent losing 30 pounds usually more like 50 or so, your skin won't generally adapt as well so i think it could be why imo the bigger national guys always look less conditioned (ie loose skin on their ass) than the smaller guys. regardless, being natural does have its disadvantages. although it is generally easier to get lean, you will undoubtedly lose muscle while dieting.

I have seen a lot of sloppy natty's too. Usually the heavyweights look the worse. I think that across the board, natty or not, the heavies and supers are too concerned with the scale than the mirror. That holds them back from being peeled.

juiceinator3000
12-01-2009, 02:09 PM
rule of thumb in natural orgs.. generally you are not a heavyweight. people think they are hvywt. however they are generally not nearly in condition to be on stage. they should give it up and go to LH. unless a really tall guy is up there, the majority of Amateur natural competitors do not have the muscle to compete above 190 shredded

DAVIDHARDY
12-01-2009, 02:16 PM
rule of thumb in natural orgs.. generally you are not a heavyweight. people think they are hvywt. however they are generally not nearly in condition to be on stage. they should give it up and go to LH. unless a really tall guy is up there, the majority of Amateur natural competitors do not have the muscle to compete above 190 shredded

Agreed. The heavyweights are generally sloppy. Exception; fiallpaul won the pro card at the Florida NGA Championships and was SHREDDED at 205ish. Ripped glutes and all; he looked great, but like you said, he is a tall guy at like 6'1". There are a few out there, but the LHW is a really tough class:)

AVBG
12-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Off season I have got well over 20% These days however I have stayed under 12%. My last show was at around 4-5%.

fatbackgoal
12-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the input. I am at 6'5" so trying to figure out where to come in shredded but not looking stringy is tough. It seems as though some of the big guys come in shredded but they don't have the muscle for their frame or they come in with size but less conditioning then get scored down for it.

ANADROLicfreak
12-01-2009, 03:44 PM
damn at 6'5" how much are you weighing?

NATURAL-1987
12-01-2009, 11:57 PM
It happens with assisted athletes as well. We have all seen guys come in and know that they should be 15 lbs lighter but you hear them saying, I am the biggest and best I have ever been. As far as weights go, definately depends on the height and genetics where you can get to. A guy like Jim Cordova looks like he dwarfs guys 30lbs heavier then him because he is shorter and has better symetry IMO. You make good points.

DAVIDHARDY
12-02-2009, 07:48 AM
It happens with assisted athletes as well. We have all seen guys come in and know that they should be 15 lbs lighter but you hear them saying, I am the biggest and best I have ever been. As far as weights go, definately depends on the height and genetics where you can get to. A guy like Jim Cordova looks like he dwarfs guys 30lbs heavier then him because he is shorter and has better symetry IMO. You make good points.

Ah la BSA...

DAVIDHARDY
12-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the input. I am at 6'5" so trying to figure out where to come in shredded but not looking stringy is tough. It seems as though some of the big guys come in shredded but they don't have the muscle for their frame or they come in with size but less conditioning then get scored down for it.

Fuck dude, just play basketball lol.