PDA

View Full Version : Ask Dr. Barrett: The Life Extension Doc

Pages : [1] 2

huge285
03-02-2009, 01:55 AM
Ask Dr Patrick Barrett all your questions related to life extension medicine, bodybuilding related issues (infections, ect), and overall health concerns!

tornquad2
03-02-2009, 10:33 AM
while on a cycle how do you control side effects and what are the biggest things to worry about being 41

gman
03-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Is there a reason my doc would have me on only 30mg of compounded Pratt gel, 200mg of pregnenolone (oral) and 25 mg of dhea per day?

I have read many standard TRT protocols as 200mg of test cyp, hcg and arimidex in certain doses per week.

My doc does none of it.

Where are you located anyway, in case I am close enough to switch?

GameofInches
03-02-2009, 03:01 PM
At what age is it usually appropriate for someone to begin using life extension (HRT Test and GH) in order to maxamize their life?

ryjenn
03-02-2009, 05:00 PM
i wasn't happy with my endo so my gen practitioner referred me to someone else,they looked over my papers without my knowledge and sent a letter saying they would not accept me for a second opinion because the original doctor is a good doc and they wouldn't do anything diffrently.. i have never heard of this,my doctor said he didnt know what to say to me. do i look for another doctor or are they all "friends" and don't want to take someone who wasn't happy with their protocol.
whats my next move?

gman
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I am going to discontinue treatment for a while. My money situation is not good, and I have a child who is suddenly undergoing treatment for bipolar. I am not looking for sympathy, just wondered the best way to discontinue treatment: wean off, or cold turkey. I have been paying for everything out of pocket, and never tried to file insurance because I am afraid of what will happen. The doctor and the compounding pharmacy both do not take insurance.

Right now I am doing 1 grain of Armour per day, 30mg of test gel, 200mg of pregnenolone (oral), and 25mg of dhea, and 10mg of htp/5mg carbidopa compounded capsules, along with a laundry list of supplements.

I am pretty sure that armour needs to be weaned, should I start cutting in half and do .5 grains a day until I run out?

My test gel runs out this week, and I have no refills, so that one will be a cold turkey.

Jack of All
03-03-2009, 07:40 PM
I am curious to know how important HCG is to TRT? I have been on TRT for 5 months and HCG now for 2 months to help supplement my therapy. My main drug is of course test cyp. I have noticed very little if anything from the HCG. My testicles are smaller than they were to start and i expected the HCG to get them back to normal and i have not noticed this either. So since I am on TRT for life is HCG necassary?

gman
03-04-2009, 09:22 PM
this is a great thread so far!

Dr Barrett
03-05-2009, 12:36 PM
It depends what your taking buddy. Assuming you're on some form of Testosterone your main concearns are Gyno, hair loss, and acne. All of these are easily controlled with an antiestrogen (ie Nolvadex or Arimidex), A DHT blocker (Proscar), and an oral antibiotic. There are a host of other possibilities depending on what you take. You should have your PSA checked after 40 before you start as well.

Dr Barrett
03-05-2009, 12:38 PM
I would need to see your labs. It sounds like he is trying to raise your Test levels with prohormones. I would need to see your labs though. The anabolic effect of that cocktail would be minimal in my opinion.
I am in Oakdale Long Island.

Dr Barrett
03-05-2009, 01:08 PM
I would start from scratch with a new board Certified doc (Antiaging boarded would be nice). No, we are not all friends. I never heard of anything like that either.

Dr Barrett
03-05-2009, 01:13 PM
If you have legitimate Hypothyroidism you shouldn't stop your Armour....ever. If your just taking for "leaning out" you should taper off and shouldn't be on for more than 6 weeks in the first place. Decrease your dose by 50% over several weeks and stop. If you abruptly stop Test you should take HCG and/or clomid as PCT. You can just stop the other stuff cold.

Dr Barrett
03-05-2009, 01:15 PM
If your on it for life, the only arguement for taking HCG is Testicular atrophy and perhaps increasing sperm count. If your done having kids and it didn't work on your balls I see no benefit.

gman
03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
thanks Doc! I wondered about HCG as well, sounds like I might not need it, I am past the child years!

Dr Barrett
03-05-2009, 01:49 PM
You should see a doc and get labs. If you have a deficiency then ANY age is appropriate. If not, GH therapy and Test therapy have been shown to be cardioprotective but most docs wont prescribe to those with normal levels. They have a tendency to "treat the labs" rather than patients symptoms. The worry is the fact they may be critiqued or punished in some way. Hopefully the future will bring more docs with some testicular fortitude.

gman
03-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Doc

I was speaking to the other answer about whether HCG is needed, you seemed to say no if you don't need to have kids and aren't concerned with shrinkage!

I have had tests, and am in the middle of switching to a better doc, mine is happy with me just having a little test gel, pregnenolone and dhea.

My proposed protocol from a new doc is

200 mg test cyp per week
500 units of hcg on day 5 and 6
.5mg anastrozole eod (my e2 was 49 on my last blood test (0-53 range))

Just wondering if I really need the HCG

NaPent
03-05-2009, 11:11 PM
When on HRT with test cyp at 200mg a week is it ok to increase to 250 a week or do you
think it should be run for a few months then decrease back down to 200mg a week.

Dr Barrett
03-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Hes giving you the HCG to keep your natural Test from dying off forever. If thats already the case then the HCG is a waste.

Dr Barrett
03-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Increasing to 250mg a week is really a small dosage change and I dont see a problem unless you have side effects or liver function elevations.

NaPent
03-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks Dr. for your answer. Do you offer or give seminars for other Drs to attend so they
can learn more about HRT and antiaging. THey look in their book and see 200mg/wk max dosage and think that can't be crossed. Told them once that if I went by the book half the people I put to sleep would remember their surgery and the other half would probably die from overdosage. Thanks again.

Dr Barrett
03-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Sounds like your in Ansesthesia. I don't do seminars but its amazing how little docs know about this stuff (especially Endocrinologists). For example, I they do have the balls to treat a patient with low Test they will give 200mg once a month so the patient feels awesome for a week and then crashes for 3.

Jack of All
03-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Sounds like your in Ansesthesia. I don't do seminars but its amazing how little docs know about this stuff (especially Endocrinologists). For example, I they do have the balls to treat a patient with low Test they will give 200mg once a month so the patient feels awesome for a week and then crashes for 3.

i just dont understand this. Isnt their some kind of continuing education that Dr's can learn how to properly treat this stuff. My dr originally prescribed 200mg once a month. i came back in after 2 weeks and said I feel worse than when i started and he did a blood test and my test levels were even lower than when i first came in. After 6 weeks of me coming in and him bumping dose I finally got to a dose that kep my levels stable and in the 500ng range. 200mg a week. that is a far cry from 200mg once a month.

How long should it take to notice increased testicle size from HCG. i have been on for 2 months and havnt noticed much. Dr said my nuts were smaller than normal when he first diagnosed me. i am thinking they simply dont work and the HCG will do nothing like you said above.

A7mk
03-07-2009, 02:34 PM
I was tested and found to have test levels total of 33. I tried the patches and gels but got no tangilble results. I am now doing 800ml of test enth. but that is only putting me at the very bottom of the "normal" scale from my lab workup. I tried a higher dose once on my own w/o telling my doc and felt like I was a 30 again (I am 43 now). I tried talking to my doc about upping my dosage and he said that he is treating my deficientcy and not how I feel. I have also had some extreme problems with my pharmacy giving me the correct and of test, they keep shorting me and then telling me to take it up with my doc who then pulls back and thinks maybe he is prescribing to much. Whn I confronted him about this he said that since it is now a class 3 drug he needs to be careful in how he prescribes it. I asked him who my doc was him or the pharmacist and he got angry. My last lab test showed a very high level of red blood cells. How can I bring this down and convince my doc to increase my dosage?

apex23
03-08-2009, 12:17 AM
It is crazy how ignorant endos are in regards to Testosterone. I had 2 that told me that I must take Androgel and I felt that it did absolutely nothing for my sex drive.

I have since told my general practioner that I have been taking the juice on my own and she was cool and asked if I needed another script?

She gave me the go ahead to take once a week, but she knows I take more...and is cool.

redline777
03-08-2009, 12:29 AM
the debate continues to rage over the dangers of steroid use . whats your opinion? is it really as bad as they make it out to be?

intel
03-08-2009, 08:02 PM
DOC, This is my story I'm currently 35 years old and was a heavy steriod user from the age of 16 to 26. I have been clean for 9 years. I just had my test checked and it came in at 300. I think this is on the low side but doc said it was fine. I told him that my sex drive does not exist and I think it a result of my years using. He also tested my prostate and all was normal. Do u think I should go get a second opinion on getting treated with test or something. any info on this would be very helpful..thanks

DECABEATZ
03-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Wow really cool dave to have this available to our audience! So dr barrett im waiting for labs to come back is their a age requirement to get hrt if your test levels are low?thanks

Pretty boy
03-09-2009, 07:59 PM
This forum is very fortunate to have someone like Dr Barrett, he is only one of a few handful of Dr's in this country who know what they are doing in regard to HRT.

huge285
03-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Dr Barrett is an extremely knowledgeable with regard to anti-aging medicine and bodybuilding as a whole.

gman
03-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Just a suggestion, Dr Barrett, to use the quote button when replying so we can all see which question you are answering!

Thanks again for doing this great service to our forum.

Dr Barrett
03-10-2009, 10:11 AM
If your nuts didnt grow after 2 m of HCG (assuming your doing it right) they are probably toast. And, I don't care if a doc gives you 100omg of test a month, Once a month wont work. Standard dosing is 200mg IM once a week. Yes, theres plenty of Continuing Ed classes for Docs but they don't do it!!!

Dr Barrett
03-10-2009, 10:18 AM
First, you are taking 800 Mg NOT Ml. How are you doing it 200mg a week? That should be fine. I dose it like that and prescribe a 10 week supply at a time (10cc) and most pts are getting levels of 800-1000 in their blood. And your doc should be treating your symptoms, not the lab sheet. Sometimes meds need to be changed or increased based on size. Your high red blood cells are a side effect of test Tx. One theory is that when your test goes up, youl brawl more (and thus bleed more) and your body is compensating. We all know roid rage is rare if dosed right unless your a Jerkoff in the fist place. You need to donate blood as a high red count is bad for alot of reasons.

Dr Barrett
03-10-2009, 10:26 AM
If docs would do the right thing patients wouldnt have to go to the streets. There are a lot of guys that don't respond to gels because of hairy skin and high levels of 5-alpha -reductase which eats up test before you use it. You can take proscar or Avodart for that problem by the way.

Jack of All
03-10-2009, 10:33 AM
If your nuts didnt grow after 2 m of HCG (assuming your doing it right) they are probably toast.

I was doing 500iu on day 5 and 6 before test shot. i read on some edno article how large nuts should be and mine are samller than their range (yes I measured my nuts with a claiper:) ) Oh well, at least I was able to have kids and dont want anymore. I guess the rest will just be exogenous from here on out. Thanks Dr. Barrett. It is nice having a professional answer questions on this board. Your time is appriciated.

Dr Barrett
03-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Theres more and more data coming out every day about the good that Testosterone and GH do for us all. Test has a cardio protective effect, helps diabetes, dementia, osteoporosis, depression and the list gos on and on. GH does the same and more. This is not stuff I'm making up Its in all the reputable medical journals. Docs arent reading them. It is malpractice to NOT treat these deficiencies based on the data. I'm talking about GH and Test here. Not orals. Like Dave, I m not a fan. And drugs like Trenbelone....powerful but huge side effects. If you must do it on your own, at least have a knowledgable doc follow you. Good luck finding one near you.

Dr Barrett
03-10-2009, 10:43 AM
DOC, This is my story I'm currently 35 years old and was a heavy steriod user from the age of 16 to 26. I have been clean for 9 years. I just had my test checked and it came in at 300. I think this is on the low side but doc said it was fine. I told him that my sex drive does not exist and I think it a result of my years using. He also tested my prostate and all was normal. Do u think I should go get a second opinion on getting treated with test or something. any info on this would be very helpful..thanks

Hey,

Most experts agree that less than 300 is too low. Your doc is treating the lab slip and not you because He or she is either afraid or doesnt know how to treat. What are they doing about your symptoms? Nothing? I would try a round of HCG on you once or twice. Maybe with clomid. If it doesnt work, you are a candidate for therapy.

Dr Barrett
03-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Wow really cool dave to have this available to our audience! So dr barrett im waiting for labs to come back is their a age requirement to get hrt if your test levels are low?thanks

No theres not. If all efforts to restore your Test (ie HCG etc) fail. You are a candidate if your 20.

Dr Barrett
03-10-2009, 10:45 AM
This forum is very fortunate to have someone like Dr Barrett, he is only one of a few handful of Dr's in this country who know what they are doing in regard to HRT.

Thanks Buddy!

Dr Barrett
03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Dr Barrett is an extremely knowledgeable with regard to anti-aging medicine and bodybuilding as a whole.

Love you dave!

Dr Barrett
03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Just a suggestion, Dr Barrett, to use the quote button when replying so we can all see which question you are answering!

Thanks again for doing this great service to our forum.

Thanks. Hows that? Better?

gman
03-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Excellent, thanks!

Pretty boy
03-14-2009, 01:59 PM
So Dr, when are you going to start to "really" treat patients in NY again? LOL. Tell the assholes in Albany to go fuck off!

andypro
03-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm 48yo and have high cholesterol my lost lab work -301mg/dL I have been taking SIMVASTATIN 10MG and didn't work,what it is u opinion on B3(Niacin)
and haw many doses. Andy

Jack of All
03-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Dr. Barrett, I have been told i am a fast metabolizer due to that fact that higher than normal doses of test dont raise my level for very long. For example, 200mg a week when my blood was tested on day 7 my total test was 507 with a range 250-1100. Is there any science to being a so called fast metabolizer? I have been told I would be better off injecting 100mg 2x a week to be more stable and have less peeks. Is there anything that could help make me more sensitive to test Cyp? If it helps my other lab info is:
Total 507 250-1100
free 141 46-224
bioav 297 110-575
shbg 11 8-48
album 4.6 3.6-5.1
e2 42 <29
DHT 32 25-75

DECABEATZ
03-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks doc! I have an appointment next week the labs should be in!

Dr. Joel Nathan
03-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Dear Dr. Barrett,
Although I am certified in age management, I no longer practice in this area. I have gone back to my original specialty of addiction medicine.

What I did find when working in a busy age management center in Manhattan was that there needed to be a source for continued motivation for patients to continue with as much vigor in the 2nd or 3rd year of HRT than it was in the first year.

What motivating factors do you use in your practice to keep your patients on track and not slack off on diet or exercise?

Thanks,
Joel

Dr Barrett
03-17-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm 48yo and have high cholesterol my lost lab work -301mg/dL I have been taking SIMVASTATIN 10MG and didn't work,what it is u opinion on B3(Niacin)
and haw many doses. Andy

Andy,

Simvistatin is a great drug. You were on way too low of a dose. You can go all the way up to 80mg. I would try it again before using Niacin which has a nasty side effect of Flushing. It comes in a once a day 500mg I believe but it is far inferior when it comes to the cardioprotective effects of Simvistatin. A landmark study called the "Scandinavian Simvistatin Survival Study" a few years ago proved that it prevents heart attacks.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-17-2009, 01:31 PM
So Dr, when are you going to start to "really" treat patients in NY again? LOL. Tell the assholes in Albany to go fuck off!

I never stopped. And I Will never stop doing the right thing for my patients.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Dr. Barrett, I have been told i am a fast metabolizer due to that fact that higher than normal doses of test dont raise my level for very long. For example, 200mg a week when my blood was tested on day 7 my total test was 507 with a range 250-1100. Is there any science to being a so called fast metabolizer? I have been told I would be better off injecting 100mg 2x a week to be more stable and have less peeks. Is there anything that could help make me more sensitive to test Cyp? If it helps my other lab info is:
Total 507 250-1100
free 141 46-224
bioav 297 110-575
shbg 11 8-48
album 4.6 3.6-5.1
e2 42 <29
DHT 32 25-75

Your not a fast metabolizer. A T level of @ 500 on day 7 after a shot is about right. Cyp is basically out of you in 7-10 days so I'm not suprised it's 500 on day 7. 500 is fine. You want it in the normal or high normal range. If you were checked on day 2 you probably would have been like 1500. Or an hour after the shot you'd be 2000! I am a fan of twice a week injections although many docs think it's too much. But a 250 lb guy needs it. Drugs are based on body weight. And the manufacturers use a 170 lb guy as the "normal" subject. When a 300lb guy needs treatment for anything I double the dose (even for antibiotics).
The fast metabolizer thing is a farce. Some people have problems with their T being "tied up" by Albumin and SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin). Some say Proviron can "free it up".

PB

Dr Barrett
03-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Dear Dr. Barrett,
Although I am certified in age management, I no longer practice in this area. I have gone back to my original specialty of addiction medicine.

What I did find when working in a busy age management center in Manhattan was that there needed to be a source for continued motivation for patients to continue with as much vigor in the 2nd or 3rd year of HRT than it was in the first year.

What motivating factors do you use in your practice to keep your patients on track and not slack off on diet or exercise?

Thanks,
Joel

Joel,

My average patient is like 40 years old. Most of them really don't need motivation to stay on HRT and workout programs. If they go to an antiaging doc they are probably are serious about their game. However, If they do slack off I'll just tell em they look soft and remind them that if they want to sit in my waiting room they better have veins in their abs!

PB

Manavs
03-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Dr Barrett,

We have a few mutual friends that keep insisting that I make a visit to see you for a routine check up to make sure everything is working ok. Before I make the appointment, I was planning on getting my bloodwork done. I dont have health insurance and can get the following done thru healthtestbenefits.com at lab in Connecticut.

- Am I being over charged?
- and is there anything else you'd recommend I get checked?

IGF-1 (INSULIN -LIKE GROWTH FACTOR, SOMATOMEDIAN C) $108.00
PSA (PROSTATE SPECIFIC ANTIGEN SCREEN) TOTAL $42.00
CBC(COMPLETE BLOOD COUNT) WITH DIFF $19.00
CMP-FASTING(COMPREHENSIVE METABOLIC PANEL)- $24.72
Thyroid Profile Panel TSH T3 T3 - $80.50
LIPID I (LDL, HDL, TOTAL CHOLESTEROL, TRIGLYCERIDES) - $24.25
ESTROGEN TOTAL & FRAC, SRM- $109.00
TESTOSTERONE, Free and Total -$88.00
Total = $502.97

Many thanks for your time
Michael

jixxxer
03-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Just a quick question; I did some blood work the other day and my liver functions are way out of wack. Ive been off cycle for about 2-2.5 months. It was a small cycle of test and deca for about 10 weeks. How long would it take for my liver values to go back to normal? Or will they? Ive done the tb, mono and all kinds of test but they are all negative.

Dr Barrett
03-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Dr Barrett,

We have a few mutual friends that keep insisting that I make a visit to see you for a routine check up to make sure everything is working ok. Before I make the appointment, I was planning on getting my bloodwork done. I dont have health insurance and can get the following done thru healthtestbenefits.com at lab in Connecticut.

- Am I being over charged?
- and is there anything else you'd recommend I get checked?

IGF-1 (INSULIN -LIKE GROWTH FACTOR, SOMATOMEDIAN C) $108.00
PSA (PROSTATE SPECIFIC ANTIGEN SCREEN) TOTAL $42.00
CBC(COMPLETE BLOOD COUNT) WITH DIFF $19.00
CMP-FASTING(COMPREHENSIVE METABOLIC PANEL)- $24.72
Thyroid Profile Panel TSH T3 T3 - $80.50
LIPID I (LDL, HDL, TOTAL CHOLESTEROL, TRIGLYCERIDES) - $24.25
ESTROGEN TOTAL & FRAC, SRM- $109.00
TESTOSTERONE, Free and Total -$88.00
Total = $502.97

Many thanks for your time
Michael

Michael,

I would add FSH/LH and PSA to check pituitary function and prostate.Those prices are very good. Labs on Long Island would charge at LEAST $1000 for all that.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Just a quick question; I did some blood work the other day and my liver functions are way out of wack. Ive been off cycle for about 2-2.5 months. It was a small cycle of test and deca for about 10 weeks. How long would it take for my liver values to go back to normal? Or will they? Ive done the tb, mono and all kinds of test but they are all negative.

Hey,

A cycle like that (at the right doses) shouldn't even raise your Liver tests much. You didn't say which liver tests or how high. But if it was due to the hormones, they should normalize within a month tops. You should be checked for hepatitis and have a liver sonogram if they remain high. They could be up for a host of other reasons as well (ie Alcohol, High cholesterol, and medications.

PB

derekanthony
03-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Dr barrett is the best doctor in ny. He understands the athletes and has seen thousands making him very qualified for the typical athlete. I have been going to doctor barret for 5 years now since 2004 after i have liver problems. Leisons etc. Doctors who i have gone to arent understanding that this is my lively hood and if i choose to take steroids i do it cause i want to better my self and do it the smart way. I go for blood tests, making sure my levels arent wacked etc. And if i need a specialist he refers you to one. And he knows some of the more qualified doctors as well in there specialties.

All in all he is a great doc. One thing though wait is to long cause so many people want to see him. Hey dr barrett dont i get seniority ? Cause i have been coming to you for years . And send you a lot of patients , a lot ! Haha i hate waiting so impatient. Especially when im sick.:d

see you soon for my follow up throat is still sore coughing all the time i got that 6 day 250mg pill for my throat you prescribed today. Hopefully that will kick in.

Derek anthony

Valihora
03-20-2009, 05:57 PM
How long do you suggest to take T3 and what is the maximum time you recomend? What dosage do you recomend during this period?

Thank you!

Pretty boy
03-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Hey Doc, just bustin on yea. I know a lot of your patients, (Myself included) also and everyone has nothing but great praise for you. I have worked with many Dr's in this industry and I have a great amount of respect for what you do and how you do it. I will send you an email regarding what we last spoke about. Ok, got a question, What is your experience in prescribing Cytadren to patients for supressing cortisol? It is for precontest, dosages and duration would be great. Thanks.

Dr Barrett
03-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Dr barrett is the best doctor in ny. He understands the athletes and has seen thousands making him very qualified for the typical athlete. I have been going to doctor barret for 5 years now since 2004 after i have liver problems. Leisons etc. Doctors who i have gone to arent understanding that this is my lively hood and if i choose to take steroids i do it cause i want to better my self and do it the smart way. I go for blood tests, making sure my levels arent wacked etc. And if i need a specialist he refers you to one. And he knows some of the more qualified doctors as well in there specialties.

All in all he is a great doc. One thing though wait is to long cause so many people want to see him. Hey dr barrett dont i get seniority ? Cause i have been coming to you for years . And send you a lot of patients , a lot ! Haha i hate waiting so impatient. Especially when im sick.:d

see you soon for my follow up throat is still sore coughing all the time i got that 6 day 250mg pill for my throat you prescribed today. Hopefully that will kick in.

Derek anthony

Derek,

Thanks for the compliments bro. You may have to wait in my office but I'll always treat you as family. I have to see 50 people a day to survive because these scumbag insurance companies give me 40 bucks for a visit.
If that antibiotic isn't working yet then you have a virus. Ride it out

PB

Dr Barrett
03-21-2009, 03:23 PM
How long do you suggest to take T3 and what is the maximum time you recomend? What dosage do you recomend during this period?

Thank you!

I assume you don't have legitimate Hypothyroidism and your taking it for "leaning out". Don't take it for more than 6 weeks or you could theoretically kill your thyroid. Usually you start at 25 mcg a day and go up by 25 mcg/week till week 3 then taper down by 25 mcg/week to complete 6 weeks worth. I have not seen any major fat loss with this drug in clinical practice though.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Hey Doc, just bustin on yea. I know a lot of your patients, (Myself included) also and everyone has nothing but great praise for you. I have worked with many Dr's in this industry and I have a great amount of respect for what you do and how you do it. I will send you an email regarding what we last spoke about. Ok, got a question, What is your experience in prescribing Cytadren to patients for supressing cortisol? It is for precontest, dosages and duration would be great. Thanks.

Hey,

I didn't realize that was you. Is that pic from 1985? I am looking foreward to our discussion.
As for Cytadren, I havent used it much, but it used to be considered a good Preshow drug (for 2 weeks prior) at 1000 mg/day but it made alot of people tired as hell. At lower doses (250mg-500mg/day) it has a decent antiestrogen effect. The high dosing was used for blocking Cortisol which can break down muscle but it also blocks the formation of testosterone by interfering with the Pregnenolone csacade.

PB

derekanthony
03-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Derek,

Thanks for the compliments bro. You may have to wait in my office but I'll always treat you as family. I have to see 50 people a day to survive because these scumbag insurance companies give me 40 bucks for a visit.
If that antibiotic isn't working yet then you have a virus. Ride it out

PB
Was just cutting with you haha. Sore throat went away still coughing and lots of mucus. I went and bought some robitussen to help break up mucus and settle the cough lot of mucus building up hard to sleep. On 3rd day with antibiotic and taking the robitussen and halls. That's holding me down good just can't wait to be 100%

Have a great weekend doc.

DA

Pretty boy
03-21-2009, 08:23 PM
You think it is worth it? I 'll email you with my current protocol and let me know what you think. That pic is 2006, You may be thinking about that show with me and Bobby G did back in 1996 in NJ,

NaPent
03-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Dr, what are ur thoughts on other anti-aging supplements, such as gingko biloba, st.Johns
wort, and siberian ginseng? Also while on HGH is it useful to take r-ALA? These are what I can think of now are there any others that you see as being helpful for the mature lifter?

apex23
03-23-2009, 08:29 AM
I assume you don't have legitimate Hypothyroidism and your taking it for "leaning out". Don't take it for more than 6 weeks or you could theoretically kill your thyroid. Usually you start at 25 mcg a day and go up by 25 mcg/week till week 3 then taper down by 25 mcg/week to complete 6 weeks worth. I have not seen any major fat loss with this drug in clinical practice though.

PB

You only recommend six weeks worth of t-3? I have ran 50 mcg for several months and I definately saw a good amount of fatloss.

Had thyroid re-checked a 2 weeks letter and it was back too normal.

I have found that if you go too high....muscle can be lost quickly.

Dr Barrett
03-24-2009, 01:24 PM
You only recommend six weeks worth of t-3? I have ran 50 mcg for several months and I definately saw a good amount of fatloss.

Had thyroid re-checked a 2 weeks letter and it was back too normal.

I have found that if you go too high....muscle can be lost quickly.

Hey,

I'm not surprised your Thyroid came back to normal. It's really a theory that prolonged use could damage the Thyroid , but I haven't actually seen it happen. The fat burning effect has been mixed with my patients. I'd say less than half respond to it. Perhaps I'm not using it long enough?
I HAVE seen the Testes shut down in many many cases though when anabolics (even in low doses) are used for more than 4 months.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Dr, what are ur thoughts on other anti-aging supplements, such as gingko biloba, st.Johns
wort, and siberian ginseng? Also while on HGH is it useful to take r-ALA? These are what I can think of now are there any others that you see as being helpful for the mature lifter?

Hi,

Well, I will promote ANY Herb or supplement that has good science behind it. I need to see controlled studies that show intruiging evidence that they work. Ginko is supposed to work by decreasing free radical damage (charged ions that raise hell by interfering with normal chemical reactions in your body) and there is some evidence it helps dementia (JAMA 1997). Phosphatidylserine is another good one for memory that has studies to back it.
St Johns wort is used for depression and does have many studies backing it as well. It shouldn't be combined with serotonin manipulators like Prozac though as it may precipitate serotonin syndrome (fast heart beat,flushing and overheating).
Ginsing for Impotence has pretty bad studies to back it and Siberian Ginseng is not really Ginseng so I wouln't use either.
r-Ala or Alpha-lipoic acid is another free radical blocker. It's supposed to help diabetes and indeed there are studies showing it works. I never heard of using it with GH but I dont think it would hurt. Arginine is supposed to stimulate GH secretion but your way better off taking the real deal.
Also an aspirin a day is key to extending your life as well as an antioxidant like Coenzyme Q.

PB

derekanthony
03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
hey dr b,

mucus cleared up occasional stuffy nose here and there. but my throat still hurts when i swallow and whne i wake up its imbearable. i feel like i got razorblades in my throat. its been over a week, what the hell do i have? my brother said it sounds like you have broncitus, cause when im laying down about to fall asleep i hear weasing like the exorcist girl sick shit. lol.

your thoughts? i cant kick this shit whatever it is.

wasnt strept,,, the cold went away but the pain in the throat when i swallow is still there.i dont think a antibiotic is going to clear it up the only thing that helped sooth it a little was robitussen non drowsy.

apex23
03-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Dr. Barrett-

What are your thoughts on the use of Clenbuterol? I am talking about starting low and taking it up to 100 mcg a day.

Some studies show that it is dangerous, but only in rats.

Do you have any experience with clen?

apex23
03-24-2009, 05:01 PM
The only bad thing I have noticed while using Cytomel is loss of muscle if I am not eating enough calories.

Dr Barrett
03-24-2009, 05:44 PM
You think it is worth it? I 'll email you with my current protocol and let me know what you think. That pic is 2006, You may be thinking about that show with me and Bobby G did back in 1996 in NJ,

I don't think its worth it big guy.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-24-2009, 05:46 PM

I don't think it's worth it big guy.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Dr. Barrett-

What are your thoughts on the use of Clenbuterol? I am talking about starting low and taking it up to 100 mcg a day.

Some studies show that it is dangerous, but only in rats.

Do you have any experience with clen?

Hey,

Clen is an Old school Asthma drug (a Beta 2 agonist) that was pulled off the market for side effects. I think you can still get it in Canada. Look for palpitations and overheating. I never tried it, but I'm not fat. Many of my patients take it and most report good fat burning and increased energy. I would avoid it if you have high blood pressure, cardiac disease or anxiety. And I would get a check up with an EKG and possibly an Echocardiogram before you take it...IF your sure you want to live.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-24-2009, 07:08 PM
The only bad thing I have noticed while using Cytomel is loss of muscle if I am not eating enough calories.

Yes, It's known to be catabolic.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-24-2009, 07:10 PM
hey dr b,

mucus cleared up occasional stuffy nose here and there. but my throat still hurts when i swallow and whne i wake up its imbearable. i feel like i got razorblades in my throat. its been over a week, what the hell do i have? my brother said it sounds like you have broncitus, cause when im laying down about to fall asleep i hear weasing like the exorcist girl sick shit. lol.

your thoughts? i cant kick this shit whatever it is.

wasnt strept,,, the cold went away but the pain in the throat when i swallow is still there.i dont think a antibiotic is going to clear it up the only thing that helped sooth it a little was robitussen non drowsy.

I think you have a virus biggs. The antibiotic I gave you would have squashed anything else most likely.

PB

apex23
03-24-2009, 08:17 PM
I have heard so many conflicting reports about using Niacin for cholesterol health. What is the safest amount that can be used?

I have heard that over 1000 mg of niacin is liver toxic. Any truth to this?

Pretty boy
03-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks Dr, one less thing to remember to take.

GameofInches
03-24-2009, 08:34 PM
If someone has no other health issues (ie. high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.) and has ED issues, what do you typically recommend to them? Also, they have already tried Viagra and Cialis and the results are hit and miss. Thanks!

DR.BB
03-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Dr. Barrett,
1. If labs revealed test levels below normal, could t. cypionate at 200-300mgs/wk be considered appropriate? Of course, there are a host of individual factors behind these decisions but are there cases where such dosing makes sense? Many trt docs seem to prefer 75 mg/wk or the monthly dose at around 400mg.

2. Are gels/creams at 20% (or 200mg/ml so that 20mg is absorbed) viable?

Thank you for the information on theis thread.

BigJeff
03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Hey Doc, I take Test Cyp 200mg a wk for hypogonadism. I also, take 40mg of Simvastatin for high cholesterol and 40mg of Lisinopril/25mg Hydrochlorothiazide for high blood pressure. My Hemoglobin is a little high, 18.4g/dl and my Hematocrit is high too, 54.7g/dl. They both have been high since I started my Test Cyp a little over two years ago. I do drink a little too much. Is this a big concern for me too worry about?

Dr Barrett
03-26-2009, 11:03 AM
I have heard so many conflicting reports about using Niacin for cholesterol health. What is the safest amount that can be used?

I have heard that over 1000 mg of niacin is liver toxic. Any truth to this?

Yo,

Yea 500 to 1000mgs is the standard dose and I have never seen liver toxicity with it. There are so many better choices though (fish oil, Red Yeast Rice etc) so why pick a drug with so many side effects (the main one being Flushing)?

PB

Dr Barrett
03-26-2009, 11:06 AM
If someone has no other health issues (ie. high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.) and has ED issues, what do you typically recommend to them? Also, they have already tried Viagra and Cialis and the results are hit and miss. Thanks!

I would start by finding out what the problem is in the first place. Do u have Diabetes or High blood pressure? Whats your Testosterone level? If those meds don't work for you then your probably missing some underlying problem. you need labs and a checkup.

PB

GameofInches
03-26-2009, 08:22 PM
I would start by finding out what the problem is in the first place. Do u have Diabetes or High blood pressure? Whats your Testosterone level? If those meds don't work for you then your probably missing some underlying problem. you need labs and a checkup.

PB

No diabetes or high blood pressure, Total Test Levels are 541 with the range being 260-1000. BTW, my age is 23 so I am fairly young. I have seen several Drs in regards to this and all have said to just use Viagra and Cialis and basically "deal with it". I don't exactly want to just deal with something that I feel is insufficient, but rather I want to fix the problem.

I have read that Cabergoline (Dosinex) has been reported to produce positive sexual effects (as a secondary result, rather then its intended use). However, do you think Cabergoline is a viable option when trying to treat this? Thanks for the help!

Asmolenski
03-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Do you use HCG for weight loss in your patients? Any thoughts?

Dr Barrett
03-27-2009, 02:03 PM
No diabetes or high blood pressure, Total Test Levels are 541 with the range being 260-1000. BTW, my age is 23 so I am fairly young. I have seen several Drs in regards to this and all have said to just use Viagra and Cialis and basically "deal with it". I don't exactly want to just deal with something that I feel is insufficient, but rather I want to fix the problem.

I have read that Cabergoline (Dosinex) has been reported to produce positive sexual effects (as a secondary result, rather then its intended use). However, do you think Cabergoline is a viable option when trying to treat this? Thanks for the help!

Hey,

Your labs look OK and I assume you aren't on any meds that could cause impotence. Most of the time this is a mental issue (are you sick of your girlfriend or do u have stage fright?). You may want to see a psychologist and get inside your head.
There are many alleged aphrodesiacs out there (Yohimbine being the most widely known) that have mixed results. You could give this a try. Most of the others (like Horny Goat weed etc) are junk. They may have a placebo effect.
Dostinex is a prolactin blocker and Dopamine agonist. I have heard that it can help but I never tried it on my patients. Good luck getting a doc to write it for you.

PB

GameofInches
03-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Hey,

Your labs look OK and I assume you aren't on any meds that could cause impotence. Most of the time this is a mental issue (are you sick of your girlfriend or do u have stage fright?). You may want to see a psychologist and get inside your head.
There are many alleged aphrodesiacs out there (Yohimbine being the most widely known) that have mixed results. You could give this a try. Most of the others (like Horny Goat weed etc) are junk. They may have a placebo effect.
Dostinex is a prolactin blocker and Dopamine agonist. I have heard that it can help but I never tried it on my patients. Good luck getting a doc to write it for you.

PB

Do you think my Total Test levels for my age are lower then the average? Also, you often hear that people he an drastic increase in sex drive/erectile performance when on AAS (specifically Test), but why is it that some individuals do not? Wouldn't it be a given that if Test is the primary catalyst for sex drive and erection, then more of it would lead to an increase. Thanks for the help!

clbbig
03-27-2009, 10:25 PM
I have been using androgel for several yrsbut it has started to breakout my skin. My dr has agreed to injections but i dont believe he is really knowledgeable on this subject. he is very open and easy to work with so what kind of injectable test and dosing schedule should i sugest to him. also how hard is it to learn to inject yourself with test. thx alot

Dr Barrett
03-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Do you use HCG for weight loss in your patients? Any thoughts?

I use it all the time. It's awesome. I put people on it for 40 days and they follow a crazy low cal diet (500/day). It works. If you stick to it, the poundage comes off. Many have lost up to 60 pounds in 40 days.

PB

BigJeff
03-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Hey Doc, don't know if you missed my post. So here it is again. I take Test Cyp 200mg a wk for hypogonadism. I also, take 40mg of Simvastatin for high cholesterol and 40mg of Lisinopril/25mg Hydrochlorothiazide for high blood pressure. My Hemoglobin is a little high, 18.4g/dl and my Hematocrit is high too, 54.7g/dl. They both have been high since I started my Test Cyp a little over two years ago. I do drink a little too much. Is this a big concern for me too worry about? Thank You, Jeff

Dr Barrett
03-28-2009, 10:25 AM
I have been using androgel for several yrsbut it has started to breakout my skin. My dr has agreed to injections but i dont believe he is really knowledgeable on this subject. he is very open and easy to work with so what kind of injectable test and dosing schedule should i sugest to him. also how hard is it to learn to inject yourself with test. thx alot

Hey,

Injecting is quite easy and actually painless if done correctly. I use Depot Testosterone (200mg/cc) one cc a week on my patients. He should give you a script for the pins and the drug and you should bring them to him and get schooled. Follow up and side effects should be dealt with by someone who knows this stuff.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Hey Doc, don't know if you missed my post. So here it is again. I take Test Cyp 200mg a wk for hypogonadism. I also, take 40mg of Simvastatin for high cholesterol and 40mg of Lisinopril/25mg Hydrochlorothiazide for high blood pressure. My Hemoglobin is a little high, 18.4g/dl and my Hematocrit is high too, 54.7g/dl. They both have been high since I started my Test Cyp a little over two years ago. I do drink a little too much. Is this a big concern for me too worry about? Thank You, Jeff

Jeff,

I didn't miss it, I'm just slow. The Cyp probably caused your Hemoglobin to go up. It is a concearn with the other problems you listed. The fix...Donate blood. Or go to a doc who can phlebotomize you (ie drain you and use the blood for shark fishing). If your boozing hard you should have all the appropriate tests for that done (i.e. liver functions, sonogram etc).

PB

BigJeff
03-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks for getting back to me Doc. All my other tests are fine, cbc, kidney and liver functions are fine. Do you have any suggestions?

Jeff

BigJeff
03-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh also Doc, what's a sonogram and what does it tell?

redline777
03-28-2009, 11:22 AM
how much can testosterone decrease for an average guy when he reaches 31?
how much can a HRT doc legally prescribe testosterone for someone thats 31?

Asmolenski
03-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I use it all the time. It's awesome. I put people on it for 40 days and they follow a crazy low cal diet (500/day). It works. If you stick to it, the poundage comes off. Many have lost up to 60 pounds in 40 days.

PB

What type of patient do you use it on - I would think bodybuilders would lose too much muscle mass on such low cals? Have you seen any adverse reactions or bad side effects with it?

Dr Barrett
03-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Dr. Barrett,
1. If labs revealed test levels below normal, could t. cypionate at 200-300mgs/wk be considered appropriate? Of course, there are a host of individual factors behind these decisions but are there cases where such dosing makes sense? Many trt docs seem to prefer 75 mg/wk or the monthly dose at around 400mg.

2. Are gels/creams at 20% (or 200mg/ml so that 20mg is absorbed) viable?

Thank you for the information on theis thread.

Hey,

I usually start with a cream taken daily. If that doesn't work or isn't tolerated standard dosing for injections would be 200mg (Cypionate) a week. Anyone dosing a patient once a month needs to be schooled (even at 400mg). The longest acting Test will be out of you in 2 weeks or shorter, so monthly dosing will leave you with at least a 2 week period where you have Zero Test on board. Many Urolgists do this. Apparently don't understand half lives etc.

PB

GameofInches
03-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Do you think my Total Test levels for my age are lower then the average? Also, you often hear that people he an drastic increase in sex drive/erectile performance when on AAS (specifically Test), but why is it that some individuals do not? Wouldn't it be a given that if Test is the primary catalyst for sex drive and erection, then more of it would lead to an increase. Thanks for the help!

Not sure if my last question blended it with the others, so I am just bumping it. lol

PB

I have never heard of this before, could you elaborate more on how this process works?

Thank you again for your continued help!!

Dr Barrett
03-28-2009, 02:37 PM
What type of patient do you use it on - I would think bodybuilders would lose too much muscle mass on such low cals? Have you seen any adverse reactions or bad side effects with it?

I ony use it on obese people. If you're a body builder you shouldn't be obese. Muscle loss hasn't been a problem and side effects have been Zero.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-28-2009, 02:42 PM
how much can testosterone decrease for an average guy when he reaches 31?
how much can a HRT doc legally prescribe testosterone for someone thats 31?

It depends on the guy. If he's 31 and never used Steroids his levels SHOULD be normal. But I've seen many who never used and are very low for a variety of reasons. The most common reason besides steriods is unknown cause. Theres no real limit on the legal amount one can prescribe, however a Doc would look pretty shady prescribing massive doses.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Not sure if my last question blended it with the others, so I am just bumping it. lol

I have never heard of this before, could you elaborate more on how this process works?

Thank you again for your continued help!!

HCG acts as a fat burner AND appetite suppressant at low doses daily. You have to follow the diet though...tight. HCG makes the starvation tolerable. Sometimes I'll even add a diet pill if I'm pissed off enough at the fat.

PB

redline777
03-28-2009, 11:33 PM
have you ever heard of Reandron 1000 (test decanoate] ? is it just test enanthate but in lower doses per ML? thanks for help

apex23
03-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Dr. Barrett,

I had a metabolic panel ran the other day and was wondering if there is any reason for concern that my creatinine levels were elevated? It took this test in a fasted state and did not even drink anything water until I told the nurse I was dying for a glass of water. I thought I was NOT allowed to drink water.

What about my liver enzymes?

Profile/Panel/TestValueUnitNormal RangeUREA NITROGEN (BUN)15 mg/dL7-25
Comment: CREATININE1.49 mg/dL0.79-1.33
Comment: BUN/CREATININE RATIO10 (calc)6-22
Comment: SODIUM142 mmol/L135-146
Comment: POTASSIUM4.9 mmol/L3.5-5.3
Comment: CHLORIDE104 mmol/L98-110
Comment: CARBON DIOXIDE27 mmol/L21-33
Comment: CALCIUM9.4 mg/dL8.6-10.2
Comment: PROTEIN, TOTAL6.7 g/dL6.2-8.3
Comment: ALBUMIN4.6 g/dL3.6-5.1
Comment: ALBUMIN/GLOBULIN RATIO2.2 (calc)1.0-2.1
Comment: BILIRUBIN, TOTAL0.5 mg/dL0.2-1.2
Comment: ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE57 U/L40-115
Comment: AST38 U/L10-40
Comment: GLUCOSE92 mg/dL65-99
Comment:
FASTING REFERENCE INTERVAL

eGFR NON-AFR. AMERICAN54 > OR = 60Comment:
UNITS: mL/min/1.73m2

eGFR AFRICAN AMERICAN>60 > OR = 60Comment:

GLOBULIN2.1 2.1-3.7Comment:
UNITS: g/dL (calc)

ALT68 U/L9-60

Comment:

BUN/CREATININE RATIO10 (calc)6-22

Comment: SODIUM142 mmol/L135-146Comment: POTASSIUM4.9 mmol/L3.5-5.3Comment: CHLORIDE104 mmol/L98-110Comment: CARBON DIOXIDE27 mmol/L21-33Comment: CALCIUM9.4 mg/dL8.6-10.2Comment: PROTEIN, TOTAL6.7 g/dL6.2-8.3Comment: ALBUMIN4.6 g/dL3.6-5.1Comment: ALBUMIN/GLOBULIN RATIO2.2 (calc)1.0-2.1Comment: BILIRUBIN, TOTAL0.5 mg/dL0.2-1.2Comment: ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE57 U/L40-115

Comment: AST38 U/L10-40Comment: GLUCOSE92 mg/dL65-99Comment:

ALT68 U/L9-60

Thanks for the help.

Dr Barrett
03-31-2009, 10:18 AM
have you ever heard of Reandron 1000 (test decanoate] ? is it just test enanthate but in lower doses per ML? thanks for help

I haven't heard of that one buddy.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Dr. Barrett,

I had a metabolic panel ran the other day and was wondering if there is any reason for concern that my creatinine levels were elevated? It took this test in a fasted state and did not even drink anything water until I told the nurse I was dying for a glass of water. I thought I was NOT allowed to drink water.

What about my liver enzymes?

Comment: BUN/CREATININE RATIO10 (calc)6-22
Comment: SODIUM142 mmol/L135-146
Comment: POTASSIUM4.9 mmol/L3.5-5.3
Comment: CHLORIDE104 mmol/L98-110
Comment: CARBON DIOXIDE27 mmol/L21-33
Comment: CALCIUM9.4 mg/dL8.6-10.2
Comment: PROTEIN, TOTAL6.7 g/dL6.2-8.3
Comment: ALBUMIN4.6 g/dL3.6-5.1
Comment: ALBUMIN/GLOBULIN RATIO2.2 (calc)1.0-2.1
Comment: BILIRUBIN, TOTAL0.5 mg/dL0.2-1.2
Comment: ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE57 U/L40-115
Comment: AST38 U/L10-40
Comment: GLUCOSE92 mg/dL65-99
Comment:

ALT68 U/L9-60

Comment:

BUN/CREATININE RATIO10 (calc)6-22

Comment: SODIUM142 mmol/L135-146Comment: POTASSIUM4.9 mmol/L3.5-5.3Comment: CHLORIDE104 mmol/L98-110Comment: CARBON DIOXIDE27 mmol/L21-33Comment: CALCIUM9.4 mg/dL8.6-10.2Comment: PROTEIN, TOTAL6.7 g/dL6.2-8.3Comment: ALBUMIN4.6 g/dL3.6-5.1Comment: ALBUMIN/GLOBULIN RATIO2.2 (calc)1.0-2.1Comment: BILIRUBIN, TOTAL0.5 mg/dL0.2-1.2Comment: ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE57 U/L40-115

Comment: AST38 U/L10-40Comment: GLUCOSE92 mg/dL65-99Comment:

ALT68 U/L9-60

Thanks for the help.

Buddy,

Your creatinine is a tenth of a point off. That can be attributed to mild dehydration. If your taking creatine it could cause it to go up too. Your liver tests look fine. I would repeat the creatinine with some water on board.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Oh also Doc, what's a sonogram and what does it tell?

A sonogram uses soundwaves (painless) too look at your organs. It's great to see if your liver is enlarged or theres any masses in your body.

PB

redline777
03-31-2009, 10:31 AM
I haven't heard of that one buddy.

PB

i just found out...its
Andriol...lol

redline777
03-31-2009, 10:33 AM
just wondering why i am sweating so much? even in cold/normal weather i'm wearing a t shirt, i sweat, is there something going on i'm not aware of?

BigJeff
03-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for getting back to me Doc. All my other tests are fine, cbc, kidney and liver functions are fine. Do you have any suggestions?

Jeff

Big_Daddy
03-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Wow, this is a great thread. Thanks Dave for setting it up & Thanks Dr. Barrett for taking the time to further help and educate us!!

I am 36 yrs. and have been struggling for yrs with hypothyroid and low test levels...I know all my symptoms were test related. Once I convinced the doc to test me what do you know my levels were 230. Then of course it was the, ok we'll start you on 200mg/month, SO I went to see another doc, after his "treatment" my levels were up 95 to 325 and he was happy and said we need to hold off! Of course I was still feeling like CRAP, so I left there and found an ND that specializes in HRT & anti-aging. She found out from past labs records my thyroid has basically shut down. So she's treating me for that and test for "optimal rage". I'm 4 weeks in.

My questions is, she really likes the pellets, What is your opinion on testostrone pellets and bodybuilding or using the pellets for test levels and stacking an other compound? Thanks

Brock
03-31-2009, 04:27 PM
It depends what your taking buddy. Assuming you're on some form of Testosterone your main concearns are Gyno, hair loss, and acne. All of these are easily controlled with an antiestrogen (ie Nolvadex or Arimidex), A DHT blocker (Proscar), and an oral antibiotic. There are a host of other possibilities depending on what you take. You should have your PSA checked after 40 before you start as well.

Are you saying that acne can be controld by an AI or a SERM??? I hope to God you are right.

I have classic bb'er upper backne. It has plagued me for a while now.

I do not use an AI or SERM on cycle. Would one of these fix this? If so, which one?

By the way, you are an asset to this forum.

apex23
03-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Buddy,

Your creatinine is a tenth of a point off. That can be attributed to mild dehydration. If your taking creatine it could cause it to go up too. Your liver tests look fine. I would repeat the creatinine with some water on board.

PB

Thanks Doc,

I was told by my doctor that my liver ezymes were a little too high. I know that weight lifting can raise liver enzymes, but I have always wondered about how high they may be raised is strength training individuals?

Thanks

Dr Barrett
03-31-2009, 07:10 PM
just wondering why i am sweating so much? even in cold/normal weather i'm wearing a t shirt, i sweat, is there something going on i'm not aware of?

Hey,

If your taking any meds (hormones like test or Thyroid) that could be it. Or you just have an internal thermostat that makes you run hot. I am the same way. I had the A/C on today and the temp outside maxed out at like 50. It's a genetic thing. I have my home thermostat on 65 year round and Still run hot.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Wow, this is a great thread. Thanks Dave for setting it up & Thanks Dr. Barrett for taking the time to further help and educate us!!

I am 36 yrs. and have been struggling for yrs with hypothyroid and low test levels...I know all my symptoms were test related. Once I convinced the doc to test me what do you know my levels were 230. Then of course it was the, ok we'll start you on 200mg/month, SO I went to see another doc, after his "treatment" my levels were up 95 to 325 and he was happy and said we need to hold off! Of course I was still feeling like CRAP, so I left there and found an ND that specializes in HRT & anti-aging. She found out from past labs records my thyroid has basically shut down. So she's treating me for that and test for "optimal rage". I'm 4 weeks in.

My questions is, she really likes the pellets, What is your opinion on testostrone pellets and bodybuilding or using the pellets for test levels and stacking an other compound? Thanks

Hey,

I think you meant NP (nurse practitioner) there. I don't like pellets at all. The absorption is unreliable and hard to control. I don't know what you mean by "optimal rage". What kind of thyroid replacement is she giving you? I think you CAN take pellets and add other compounds yes. But again, I prefer injections.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks Doc,

I was told by my doctor that my liver ezymes were a little too high. I know that weight lifting can raise liver enzymes, but I have always wondered about how high they may be raised is strength training individuals?

Thanks

Yes they can go slightly up from vigorous training, but they shouldn't go up more than twice normal or you should be worked up for another problem.

PB

DR.BB
03-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Dr.,
Thank you for the important info you provide here. Following apex23, I know liver enzymes are elevated in weight trainers and I have been told by a progressive, intelligent doc not to worry too much about the following numbers and I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts. They are not near the double you mention, but I am not sure if these tests are the measure you use. I understand any response you may make is NOT medical advice.

AST (SGOT) 52 iu/l Normal Range: 0-40
ALT (SGPT) 82 iu/l Normal Range: 0-55

On Kidneys my BUN is a little high 32 mg/dl on a range of 5-26.

apex23
03-31-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks DR. B.

I was looking for all kinds of info last night on liver enzymes and creatinine levels.

Does dehydration have any effect on the liver? I have heard both yes and no.

Again, Thanks for your info

Dr Barrett
03-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Are you saying that acne can be controld by an AI or a SERM??? I hope to God you are right.

I have classic bb'er upper backne. It has plagued me for a while now.

I do not use an AI or SERM on cycle. Would one of these fix this? If so, which one?

By the way, you are an asset to this forum.

Hey,

Thanks for the compliment. No, I don't think and antiestrogen is gonna help your acne. A small amount of Estrogen is actually good for you. It has a major antiplatelette effect and protects your heart ( u want it to be at a level of like 20 to 40). Above that level will make you retain water and grow nice little bitch tits. I use an oral antibiotic like Duricef and a potent topical (like Benzamycin) for guys like you and it usually does the trick.

PB

Dr Barrett
03-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Dr.,
Thank you for the important info you provide here. Following apex23, I know liver enzymes are elevated in weight trainers and I have been told by a progressive, intelligent doc not to worry too much about the following numbers and I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts. They are not near the double you mention, but I am not sure if these tests are the measure you use. I understand any response you may make is NOT medical advice.

AST (SGOT) 52 iu/l Normal Range: 0-40
ALT (SGPT) 82 iu/l Normal Range: 0-55

On Kidneys my BUN is a little high 32 mg/dl on a range of 5-26.

The bun elevation is negligable. Using those same units, your liver function tests are only slightly up and can be attributed to vigorous training or just being a big guy. The normal ranges are based on a 70 kg man (about 150 pounds) which is small by todays standards. These numbers could be normal for a 250 pound hombre..

PB

Dr Barrett
03-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks DR. B.

I was looking for all kinds of info last night on liver enzymes and creatinine levels.

Does dehydration have any effect on the liver? I have heard both yes and no.

Again, Thanks for your info

You would have to have serious dehydration for it to effect your liver. I'm talking more than 10% of your total volume would have to be lost to start hurting your liver. That would be like floating on a raft in 90 degrees for 24 hours drinking nothing. At this point your body would shunt blood to the most vital organs (ie heart and brain) thereby damaging the blood-starved organs via ischemia.

PB

BNJ
03-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Is it possible to get a doctor to prescribe hgh? If so how?

Dr Barrett
04-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Is it possible to get a doctor to prescribe hgh? If so how?

Yes it is. First you need labs. Second, you need an antiaging doc. If your GH level is low you can and should be prescribed GH. The problem is that your insurance probably won't cover it (a Serostim kit runs about $1200 to $1400 bucks). Or you can get a generic GH from a compounding pharmacy for like $400 a month (assuming you take like 2 iu/day).
Endocrinologists are supposed to be the experts on hormones and GH but they will rarely treat adult onset GH deficiency in my experience. They can actually get it covered by your insurance too (by doing an Argenine stim test) but most just tell you to deal with it and blow you off. The same is often true for young guys with with testosterone deficiency. I recently had a 25 year old guy come to me with unexplained low T levels and all the symptoms. Because he was 25, 2 different Endocrinologists and his internist blew him off because they were "afraid" to treat a young guy. In fact, most internists do not know how to deal with low T or GH levels. Often, the patient knows more than the doc. It's sad.

PB

BigJeff
04-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Jeff,

I didn't miss it, I'm just slow. The Cyp probably caused your Hemoglobin to go up. It is a concearn with the other problems you listed. The fix...Donate blood. Or go to a doc who can phlebotomize you (ie drain you and use the blood for shark fishing). If your boozing hard you should have all the appropriate tests for that done (i.e. liver functions, sonogram etc).

PB
Hey Doc,

Thanks for getting back to me Doc. All my other tests are fine, cbc, kidney and liver functions are fine. Do you have any other suggestions?

Jeff

BNJ
04-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Is there a way to "help" a lab test show low hgh?

redline777
04-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Hey,

If your taking any meds (hormones like test or Thyroid) that could be it. Or you just have an internal thermostat that makes you run hot. I am the same way. I had the A/C on today and the temp outside maxed out at like 50. It's a genetic thing. I have my home thermostat on 65 year round and Still run hot.

PB

then you and I are bros ...lol :beerbang:

DR.BB
04-02-2009, 08:45 PM
BNJ,
No offense--but I don't think we should be seeking "help" on a test on such boards. HRT is a legtimate therapy that can be easily undermined.
http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/growth_hormone/test.html

WILDMAN
04-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Hey,

I usually start with a cream taken daily. If that doesn't work or isn't tolerated standard dosing for injections would be 200mg (Cypionate) a week. Anyone dosing a patient once a month needs to be schooled (even at 400mg). The longest acting Test will be out of you in 2 weeks or shorter, so monthly dosing will leave you with at least a 2 week period where you have Zero Test on board. Many Urolgists do this. Apparently don't understand half lives etc.

PB
Hello Dr. Barrett I am not questioning you by any means. I just want to make sure I fully understand. A dosage of 400mg of Test Enanthate will be completely out of any ones system within 2 weeks or less? I have always heard 3 weeks. Do you know where a dosage of 100mg a week usualy brings Testosterone levels to on lab test, on a average patient? It truly is great to have you here!

Thank You

Dr Barrett
04-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Is there a way to "help" a lab test show low hgh?

Not that I know of.

PB

Dr Barrett
04-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Hello Dr. Barrett I am not questioning you by any means. I just want to make sure I fully understand. A dosage of 400mg of Test Enanthate will be completely out of any ones system within 2 weeks or less? I have always heard 3 weeks. Do you know where a dosage of 100mg a week usualy brings Testosterone levels to on lab test, on a average patient? It truly is great to have you here!

Thank You

Actually you may have detectable levels even at three weeks post injection but it will proably be at subtherapeutic levels. Thats why it should probably be injected every 10 days or so. The blood level at 100mg/wk will show different levels depending when you draw blood. An hour later it could be 2000. Three days later 800 etc.

PB

WILDMAN
04-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Actually you may have detectable levels even at three weeks post injection but it will proably be at subtherapeutic levels. Thats why it should probably be injected every 10 days or so. The blood level at 100mg/wk will show different levels depending when you draw blood. An hour later it could be 2000. Three days later 800 etc.

PB

I was actually wondering what are the average levels of 100mg on the 7th day?, you mentioned that most of your patients were at 800-1000 on 200mg at the 7th day.

Thank You

Dr Barrett
04-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I was actually wondering what are the average levels of 100mg on the 7th day?, you mentioned that most of your patients were at 800-1000 on 200mg at the 7th day.

Thank You

I'm guessing on day 7 after a shot of 100mg Cyp your level would be like 300-500.

PB

gman
04-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Dr Barrett

Just started on HCG at 500IU 2x a week along with my test cyp and arimidex.

I am having dreams so vivid, to the point that I am waking up 3-4 times a night. Is this from the HCG?

Also having some dull achiness in my nuts too.

apex23
04-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Dr. Barrett-

Do you have the patients you work with always take Arimidex? If so, what dose and why do you like ARimidex?

I always thought it will crush any form of gains and sex drive.

Thanks

WILDMAN
04-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Hello Dr. Barrertt, I have always heard that it takes 3 weeks for Test E., or Test C. To really get in to the blood, after the first injection. As you stated if you take 200mg, and test an hour later levels are probabaly around 2000. Is there any truth to it takes 3 weeks to really get in the blood? Please explain.

Thank You

bio33
04-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi Dr. Barrett, how hard is it to get a residency in your respected field. Is it hard to maintain practice from a financial perspective?

th_vai
04-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Hey Dr.Barret how much time would be proper to wait after hepatitis to do a new steroid cycle?

Dr Barrett
04-07-2009, 10:26 AM

Thank You

I'm not sure. I usually dose it 200mg/wk.

PB

Dr Barrett
04-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Dr Barrett

Just started on HCG at 500IU 2x a week along with my test cyp and arimidex.

I am having dreams so vivid, to the point that I am waking up 3-4 times a night. Is this from the HCG?

Also having some dull achiness in my nuts too.

Hey,

The dull ball pain is fairly common. The HCG is causing cells to proliferate and make Test and its making them work hard. Also theres all kinds of hormonal shifts going on which could account for your crazy dreams. It probably is a combination of both drugs.

PB

Dr Barrett
04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Dr. Barrett-

Do you have the patients you work with always take Arimidex? If so, what dose and why do you like ARimidex?

I always thought it will crush any form of gains and sex drive.

Thanks

I have many that take it. They don't "always" take it though. Only when they are on, and for some time after a hormone cycle. Standard dose is 1mg/day or every other day. It prevents Testosterone from coverting to Estrogen (a hormone we want, but only at low levels [20 or less]) which prevents Gynecomastia and bloating. On the contrary, it will increase your gains and quality of muscle. The higher you Estrogen is, the more you will act like a girl who's premenstrual. You will be apt to take a spin class rather than squat. The Arimidex itself has a small incidence of decreasing sex drive though. In those cases we have several other anti E's we can use. It has also been used post-cycle and has a clomid like effect but I prefer Clomid or Nolvadex to kick on the pituitary post-cycle.

PB

Dr Barrett
04-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Hello Dr. Barrertt, I have always heard that it takes 3 weeks for Test E., or Test C. To really get in to the blood, after the first injection. As you stated if you take 200mg, and test an hour later levels are probabaly around 2000. Is there any truth to it takes 3 weeks to really get in the blood? Please explain.

Thank You

That's BS. I've done that experiment in office many times. The patient starts with a T level of say 150 and an hour after their shot (Cyp 200mg or Enanthate) levels (in blood) are crankin in the thousands. It's rapidly absorbed from the fat and muscle which are full of blood vessels that suck it up. You may not see gains for weeks, but believe me its boomin in minutes.

PB

Dr Barrett
04-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi Dr. Barrett, how hard is it to get a residency in your respected field. Is it hard to maintain practice from a financial perspective?

Good Question. I am boarded in Family Practice AND Antiaging (A4M). It's quite easy to get a Family Practice residency (as long as your'e a Doctor) as there is a big shortage of us. That's a 3 year gig. To get Boarded in Antiaging by the American Academy of Antiaging Medicine (A4M) you need to pass a nasty written exam and then an oral exam at which you are harassed by a board of Gurus until they are satisified you know your shit. You can also do a Fellowship in Aging (similar to residency) which could help you in many ways.
It is very tough today to maintain practice financially. Overhead is rediculous. I like to be surrounded by nurses and assistants, so my payroll is nauseating. And I still take insurance, so they pay me whatever they want whenever they want.

PB

DR.BB
04-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Dr. Barrett:
Sorry if I shouldn't ask this here, but I tried to PM you but may have done it incorrectly. I am currently on HRT with an out of state doc (very good) and have labs, etc. I was wondering what the procedure and costs would be to switch to your pratice as I am about 20 minutes from Oakdale and you are listed in my United Health Care directory. Would an initial consultation be covered by United? Do you have a special set of fees for HRT?
Thank you.

Dr Barrett
04-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Hey Dr.Barret how much time would be proper to wait after hepatitis to do a new steroid cycle?
\

I need some more info on that one bro. What kind of hepatitis? How were you treated? How are you liver functions now?

PB

apex23
04-07-2009, 12:47 PM
There are so that say that Nolvadex decreases IGF-1 levels. Is there any truth too this or are there only rat studies showing this type of info?

Thanks and I love this board.

SUGARSHANE
04-07-2009, 03:56 PM
i just got my mercury level from my docter and im at 2 time the normal range(38.5)at what level does your body start the side effect...and should i stop eating fish for 3 month...

Dr Barrett
04-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Dr. Barrett:
Sorry if I shouldn't ask this here, but I tried to PM you but may have done it incorrectly. I am currently on HRT with an out of state doc (very good) and have labs, etc. I was wondering what the procedure and costs would be to switch to your pratice as I am about 20 minutes from Oakdale and you are listed in my United Health Care directory. Would an initial consultation be covered by United? Do you have a special set of fees for HRT?
Thank you.

Hey,

Your consult and HRT treatment will be covered by United. I don't charge cash for my consults ...YET. You can call and book a slot and also let United know that I am your new PCP (Primary Care Physician). Keep in mind I use the Testosterone creams for most of my patients.

PB

Dr Barrett
04-07-2009, 06:19 PM
There are so that say that Nolvadex decreases IGF-1 levels. Is there any truth too this or are there only rat studies showing this type of info?

Thanks and I love this board.

I heard that also. I have not seen a controlled study yet that proves it. I also remember reading that Femara can block GH but again, no studies.

PB

apex23
04-07-2009, 09:48 PM
I guess I am confused, because is it true that when we inject testosterone into our body produces more IGF-1??

bio33
04-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think anti-aging medicine is very interesting and would love to pursue it as a career. Only problem is I've been rejected from about every med-school I applied for here in the states. I have a friend though that is in the caribbean doing med school at St. Georges. Any thoughts or advice on going this route?

Dr Barrett
04-08-2009, 05:41 PM
I guess I am confused, because is it true that when we inject testosterone into our body produces more IGF-1??

I've never seen that association. I have plenty of patients on Testosterone that have low IGF1.

PB

GameofInches
04-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey,

Your consult and HRT treatment will be covered by United. I don't charge cash for my consults ...YET. You can call and book a slot and also let United know that I am your new PCP (Primary Care Physician). Keep in mind I use the Testosterone creams for most of my patients.

PB

Why is that?

Dr Barrett
04-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Why is that?

Becaue most patient don't want to inject and the cremas are covered by insurance and have less siede effects.

PB

sweetjane57
04-09-2009, 01:11 PM
here is her problem, wondering if you can shed some light that I can pass along.....................

Hello!

I am wondering if any of you health care professionals can shed some light on my blood work. I say my general practitioner today and was not happy with how he glossed over my symptoms and changes in my blood work. Here is the deal...in the past two months, I have gone up 4 sizes and have gained 15 percent bodyfat....I was at 8-10 percent year round for the last 5 years. I have NO ENERGY and HAVE BEEN EATING TOTALLY CLEAN for the last 5 yrs of my life with little change. I was diagnosed with a thyroid (hypothyroidism) a few months after my last show...after all of my reading, I believe at that time I was in metabolic shutdown and that is why my thyroid failed....I did NOT FIGURE THIS OUT at the time and NEITHER DID MY DR and PRESCRIBED 15MCG OF CYTOMEL TWICE A DAY AND .25MCG OF SYNTHROID...I HAVE NOW BEEN ON BOTH FOR ALMOST TWO YEARS. Then...a few months ago, I noticed a fat gain again...so I know an unhealthy decision, but I started taking meltdown twice a day and started two a day workouts to try to shed the fat...to no avail, I just got fatter....Here is my blood work below:

progesterone-1.0 ng/ml (LOW, but in the lowest range)
TSH-.01 (WAY LOW...should be .4-4.5)
ESTRADIOL-17 (Low, but in range)
CORTISOL-15.1 (fasting and in the am, normal is 4-22)
t3, FREE-484 (WAY HIGH...230-420 is normal)...KEEP IN MIND I AM ON CYTOMEL...but does not seem to be working..I read about a negative feedback loop where you body does not use the cytomel provided to it...Is that possible?
ESTRONE: below 10 (Normal 10-173)
Testosterone, TOTAL-10 (normal is 2-45)
Free Test-1.8 (.1-6.4)

IF you can give me ANY medical insight...from a bodybuilders perspective...I am seeing an endocronologist soon...

MORE:

Other symptoms include lack of motivation, hair loss, VERY dry skin, and poor circulation, my feet turn blue always and always freezing cold...such bad circulation that I had to one time get off the step mill bc I could not feel my feet they were tingling so bad. My blood glucose was in range. I forgot to include my total cholesterol is 113, abnormally low, my hdl is also abnormally low...I am REALLY HOPING that a medical person out there has an idea of what is going on.

thanks!

someone mentioned she should get tested for Hashimoto's Diesease. Are you familiar with this or do you have any insight for her.......

Larmer28
04-10-2009, 05:10 AM
Yes it is. First you need labs. Second, you need an antiaging doc. If your GH level is low you can and should be prescribed GH. The problem is that your insurance probably won't cover it (a Serostim kit runs about $1200 to $1400 bucks). Or you can get a generic GH from a compounding pharmacy for like $400 a month (assuming you take like 2 iu/day).
Endocrinologists are supposed to be the experts on hormones and GH but they will rarely treat adult onset GH deficiency in my experience. They can actually get it covered by your insurance too (by doing an Argenine stim test) but most just tell you to deal with it and blow you off. The same is often true for young guys with with testosterone deficiency. I recently had a 25 year old guy come to me with unexplained low T levels and all the symptoms. Because he was 25, 2 different Endocrinologists and his internist blew him off because they were "afraid" to treat a young guy. In fact, most internists do not know how to deal with low T or GH levels. Often, the patient knows more than the doc. It's sad.

PB

Male 43 242 lbs - 31.2 bf %

I had been doing 125 cc Test Cyp weekly, .5 mg A-dex 2x weekly , 1 Avodart Weekly,

Test 866 Up from 574 (241-827) *I started on the cream and my test went to 126*
Free Test 25.8 up from 15.9 (6.8-21.5)
Est. 24 down from 50 (0-53)
Preogestterone 0.9

Colestesterol
Total 238 up from 169 (100-199)
HDL 40 up from 38 (Range says 39 ?)
LDL 177 up from 105 (0-99)

PSA 2.0 up from 1.9 -down from over 10 when I started.

ALT SGPT 202 - not on prior test, Dr wants this down. (0-55)
She is hoping the test cyp isn't bothering my liver, she thinks it may be the avodart, and or the a-dex ?

My new protocol is:

125 cc Test Cyp weekly, .25 mg A-dex 2x weekly, HCG 17.5 cc daily.
I(A-dex down to .25 and no avodart) I am taking DIM also 1 am & 1 pm

I feel pretty good. I am frustrated that I am not losing any weight though, and have gained 40 lbs since starting on the cream about 7 months ago. I have not gained any weight in 2 months, but can't lose any either.
I start following a keto diet tomorrow, and hope to really get some results.
I am doing Ripptoes workout and making great progress strength wise but the scale will not budge :confused: my bf is up to 31% started at 26. My IGF-1 was around 120, 2 blood tests back and I tried an OTC supp but it did nothing.

1. I am wondering what the cost of GH would be through and Endo approximately ? My Dr. said she could order up the test but that it even if I was found to need it it would be so expensive as you said. :mad:

2. Do you you have any recommendations as to how I can get the scale moving downwards ?

heavyiron
04-10-2009, 05:09 PM

I've never seen that association. I have plenty of patients on Testosterone that have low IGF1.

PB
I don't mean to butt into your thread but if I may provide the data for that association it is in the following link. IGF-1 raises in a dose dependant relationship to testosterone administration starting at 300mg per week. I imagine in your practice you would routinely prescribe less T. IGF-1 actually can drop with doses of 125mg of T or less per week.

Serum total and free testosterone, LH, FSH, SHBG, and IGF-I levels;

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/281/6/E1172/T2

Here is the full study;

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/281/6/E1172#T2

Dr Barrett
04-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I don't mean to butt into your thread but if I may provide the data for that association it is in the following link. IGF-1 raises in a dose dependant relationship to testosterone administration starting at 300mg per week. I imagine in your practice you would routinely prescribe less T. IGF-1 actually can drop with doses of 125mg of T or less per week.

Serum total and free testosterone, LH, FSH, SHBG, and IGF-I levels;

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/281/6/E1172/T2

Here is the full study;

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/281/6/E1172#T2

Hey,

Thanks for that very interesting info. I will certainly pay better attention to that association. I usually don't use more than 200mg/week of Test on my patients but I have some who take more. I will review a few charts and see if their IGF is elevated.

PB

Adam Reich
04-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Hey Doc,
Been to you several times however not recently and its probably time for some labs. Does it matter if a patient is currently on cycle when he/she comes in for blood work or do they have to be completely clean, if so, for how long.
Thanks
Adam

Dr Barrett
04-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think anti-aging medicine is very interesting and would love to pursue it as a career. Only problem is I've been rejected from about every med-school I applied for here in the states. I have a friend though that is in the caribbean doing med school at St. Georges. Any thoughts or advice on going this route?

Yea, you'll still get your MD. Do it. Plenty of docs around here went there. It's a little easier to get in.

PB

Dr Barrett
04-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Hey Doc,
Been to you several times however not recently and its probably time for some labs. Does it matter if a patient is currently on cycle when he/she comes in for blood work or do they have to be completely clean, if so, for how long.
Thanks
Adam

Hey,

If you wanna know your baseline hormone levels, wait until a week after you finish your Post-Cycle meds. You should have levels drawn when your on cycle too to monitor Liver, Estrogen, and all that.

PB

Dr Barrett
04-11-2009, 02:15 PM
i just got my mercury level from my docter and im at 2 time the normal range(38.5)at what level does your body start the side effect...and should i stop eating fish for 3 month...

I would recheck your level, but I doubt you will see symptoms at that level. Yes, stop the fish if it comes back high again.

PB

Fit_5"3
04-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Dr. B,
I've been taking HGH for about a year straight (took a break for a few months before this stint).
I believe I've developed carpal tunnel. This is a side effect from using HGH, right?

Any way to continue to use it the next 5 weeks to my contest and still not do too much damage to my arms?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Dr Barrett
04-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Male 43 242 lbs - 31.2 bf %

I had been doing 125 cc Test Cyp weekly, .5 mg A-dex 2x weekly , 1 Avodart Weekly,

Test 866 Up from 574 (241-827) *I started on the cream and my test went to 126*
Free Test 25.8 up from 15.9 (6.8-21.5)
Est. 24 down from 50 (0-53)
Preogestterone 0.9

Colestesterol
Total 238 up from 169 (100-199)
HDL 40 up from 38 (Range says 39 ?)
LDL 177 up from 105 (0-99)

PSA 2.0 up from 1.9 -down from over 10 when I started.

ALT SGPT 202 - not on prior test, Dr wants this down. (0-55)
She is hoping the test cyp isn't bothering my liver, she thinks it may be the avodart, and or the a-dex ?

My new protocol is:

125 cc Test Cyp weekly, .25 mg A-dex 2x weekly, HCG 17.5 cc daily.
I(A-dex down to .25 and no avodart) I am taking DIM also 1 am & 1 pm

I feel pretty good. I am frustrated that I am not losing any weight though, and have gained 40 lbs since starting on the cream about 7 months ago. I have not gained any weight in 2 months, but can't lose any either.
I am doing Ripptoes workout and making great progress strength wise but the scale will not budge :confused: my bf is up to 31% started at 26. My IGF-1 was around 120, 2 blood tests back and I tried an OTC supp but it did nothing.

1. I am wondering what the cost of GH would be through and Endo approximately ? My Dr. said she could order up the test but that it even if I was found to need it it would be so expensive as you said. :mad:

2. Do you you have any recommendations as to how I can get the scale moving downwards ?

GH would really burn fat off you in my opinion. It will make you feel awesome too. You will probably not find an Endocrinologist who will write it for you. Find an antiaging doc if you want a prayer at all. Prices can vary greatly for this.

PB

Dr Barrett
04-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Dr. B,
I've been taking HGH for about a year straight (took a break for a few months before this stint).
I believe I've developed carpal tunnel. This is a side effect from using HGH, right?

Any way to continue to use it the next 5 weeks to my contest and still not do too much damage to my arms?

Thank you for your suggestions.

The Carpal Tunnel syndrome from GH is usually dose dependent and NOT permanent. Try lowering the dose (women need higher doses than men) and taking antiinflammatories. Either way, I don't think you will "damage" your arms.

PB

Dr Barrett
04-14-2009, 11:31 AM
here is her problem, wondering if you can shed some light that I can pass along.....................

Hello!

I am wondering if any of you health care professionals can shed some light on my blood work. I say my general practitioner today and was not happy with how he glossed over my symptoms and changes in my blood work. Here is the deal...in the past two months, I have gone up 4 sizes and have gained 15 percent bodyfat....I was at 8-10 percent year round for the last 5 years. I have NO ENERGY and HAVE BEEN EATING TOTALLY CLEAN for the last 5 yrs of my life with little change. I was diagnosed with a thyroid (hypothyroidism) a few months after my last show...after all of my reading, I believe at that time I was in metabolic shutdown and that is why my thyroid failed....I did NOT FIGURE THIS OUT at the time and NEITHER DID MY DR and PRESCRIBED 15MCG OF CYTOMEL TWICE A DAY AND .25MCG OF SYNTHROID...I HAVE NOW BEEN ON BOTH FOR ALMOST TWO YEARS. Then...a few months ago, I noticed a fat gain again...so I know an unhealthy decision, but I started taking meltdown twice a day and started two a day workouts to try to shed the fat...to no avail, I just got fatter....Here is my blood work below:

progesterone-1.0 ng/ml (LOW, but in the lowest range)
TSH-.01 (WAY LOW...should be .4-4.5)
ESTRADIOL-17 (Low, but in range)
CORTISOL-15.1 (fasting and in the am, normal is 4-22)
t3, FREE-484 (WAY HIGH...230-420 is normal)...KEEP IN MIND I AM ON CYTOMEL...but does not seem to be working..I read about a negative feedback loop where you body does not use the cytomel provided to it...Is that possible?
ESTRONE: below 10 (Normal 10-173)
Testosterone, TOTAL-10 (normal is 2-45)
Free Test-1.8 (.1-6.4)

IF you can give me ANY medical insight...from a bodybuilders perspective...I am seeing an endocronologist soon...

MORE:

Other symptoms include lack of motivation, hair loss, VERY dry skin, and poor circulation, my feet turn blue always and always freezing cold...such bad circulation that I had to one time get off the step mill bc I could not feel my feet they were tingling so bad. My blood glucose was in range. I forgot to include my total cholesterol is 113, abnormally low, my hdl is also abnormally low...I am REALLY HOPING that a medical person out there has an idea of what is going on.

thanks!

someone mentioned she should get tested for Hashimoto's Diesease. Are you familiar with this or do you have any insight for her.......

Hi,
Hashimotos is an underactive thyroid secondary to antibodies attacking it. Sounds like her last Doc thought she had that and put her on Cytomel (thats why her TSH is LOW). If its not working then she should try another throid med. You don't say how old the patient is. If shes 60, it could explain some of her levels. I would start with the throid med and work from there. Try a doc who's well versed in hormones.

PB

musclebitch
04-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Dr. Barret.

I am at a high risk of breast cancer, Can Femara be beneficial to me?

ScorpioChiq
04-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Hey Doc,
I am on thyroid medication (armour thyroid for hypothy/hashimoto's). I want to start GH at 0.5iu daily on the side for fat loss, since the scale doesn't budge despite the thyroid meds. Would I have to lower my thyroid meds to start the GH? How mght it affect my TSH, T3, T4, or blood tests etc? Also, do you have experience with Armour thyroid and if so, what is the average dose in your opinion? Thx!

Mr G
04-20-2009, 04:12 PM
male 43 242 lbs - 31.2 bf %

i had been doing 125 cc test cyp weekly, .5 mg a-dex 2x weekly , 1 avodart weekly,

test 866 up from 574 (241-827) *i started on the cream and my test went to 126*
free test 25.8 up from 15.9 (6.8-21.5)
est. 24 down from 50 (0-53)
preogestterone 0.9

colestesterol
total 238 up from 169 (100-199)
hdl 40 up from 38 (range says 39 ?)
ldl 177 up from 105 (0-99)

psa 2.0 up from 1.9 -down from over 10 when i started.

Alt sgpt 202 - not on prior test, dr wants this down. (0-55)
she is hoping the test cyp isn't bothering my liver, she thinks it may be the avodart, and or the a-dex ?

My new protocol is:

125 cc test cyp weekly, .25 mg a-dex 2x weekly, hcg 17.5 cc daily.
I(a-dex down to .25 and no avodart) i am taking dim also 1 am & 1 pm

i feel pretty good. I am frustrated that i am not losing any weight though, and have gained 40 lbs since starting on the cream about 7 months ago. I have not gained any weight in 2 months, but can't lose any either.
I am doing ripptoes workout and making great progress strength wise but the scale will not budge :confused: My bf is up to 31% started at 26. My igf-1 was around 120, 2 blood tests back and i tried an otc supp but it did nothing.

1. I am wondering what the cost of gh would be through and endo approximately ? My dr. Said she could order up the test but that it even if i was found to need it it would be so expensive as you said. :mad:

2. Do you you have any recommendations as to how i can get the scale moving downwards ?
dr barrett and myself are going to do a whole program together.i suggest to do gh for 1 cycle and follow diet for 16 weeks.so it is a whole program ,hormone replacement ,weight trainingn and diet,you should see a weight loss of up to 50lbs and lose 10-15% of your b odyfat.also shift your thoughts to i am a fat burning muscle building machine.
You must also eat clean otherwise you will not get the results
you need !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I recomend dave palumbos diet for best results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember everyone has a rocky inside them

never give up!
Never give up!
Never give up!

Dr Barrett
04-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Dr. Barret.

I am at a high risk of breast cancer, Can Femara be beneficial to me?

Femara blocks estrogen which can "feed" breast cancer. It has been shown to help those who have already been diagnosed but I don't believe there is any data showing it will prevent you from getting it. I don't think it will hurt you though.

PB

FreakPeak
04-23-2009, 10:07 PM
i just found out...its
Andriol...lol

Reandron is injectable test Undecanoate, same as Nebido.
Andriol is oral test undecanoate.

musclebitch
04-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Femara blocks estrogen which can "feed" breast cancer. It has been shown to help those who have already been diagnosed but I don't believe there is any data showing it will prevent you from getting it. I don't think it will hurt you though.

PB

Thanks very much for your answer, I am a 45 yrs. lady and just got my yearly mammo done, it came back with bilateral breast microcalcifications in my left breast. The Doc. told me to wait 6 months for the next mammo, but I can't sit here and wonder, I am having a MRI done on Monday. In the even the microcalcifications are bening can I continue taking Femara until the calcification are remove?

apex23
04-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Dr. Barret-

Besides fish oil and macadamamian oil, what supplements do you recommend for Heart Health? Please recommend dosages if you can...

Thanks

machine
05-01-2009, 01:18 PM
OK Dr, just got my blood results back. Obviously I am very concerned. My BP, LDL and HDL have all improved drastically, as well as my hemoglobin A1c (FYI I am a type 1 diabetic).

The bad part came with my free test levels...80! My FSH was 0.7 ( normal is 1.6-8). LH was 1.1 (normal is 1.5-9.3).

The tests were done being off for 8 weeks. I was running a very low (in my opinion cycle, roughly 300mgs cyp a week and 300 mgs Eq a week). I MADE A HUGE mistake of not doing any PCT this time because of the low doses and for the first time I did not experience a crash in my energy levels...and I do still have a sex drive (of course nothing like when I am on). I also have experienced my strength dropping drastically...I have never been so weak, but I did not lose much size. I was hoping to start up again, that's why I had my levels tested. For now that will be put on hold until I can bring my body up to a somewhat normal range.

What do you suggest?

Pretty boy
05-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Hey Doc, my right knee has 2 prior surgeries in the past 10 years, main problem is arthritis on the patella, do you do the synvisc injections in your office or do you have to send me to an orthopedic doc? Thanks for your help.

johngorman
05-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Dr. B-

What would be best to do if I have been using ECA and YCA since 10 weeks out and my body has gotten used to it? I started at 20/200/81 on 2 days of ECA and then 2 days of 5/200/81 on YCA 3 times a day. I have built up to using 30/200/81 three times a day on the ECA, but am scared shitless to go up to 40 or 50 three times a day.

Would it be beneficial to just go EYCA? I am a little over 3 weeks out from a contest and just a tad behind, but not much. I have researched this but cant get an answer that's solid stating how long to run an ECA stack, and how high dosage can go in a healthy individual. Thanks for your time..

gman
05-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Dr Barrett, I posted this up on a non bodybuilding forum, and was accused of doing a mild cycle, and was told my TRT doc was giving me too much T, arimidex, and HCG. Just wanted to see what your opinion is:

"I just got my blood levels back. Everything is pretty awesome. My regimen for the past 8 weeks has been 200mg test cyp once a week on day 7, .5mg arimidex MWF, HCG 500 IU 2x a week on day 5 and 6. Here are the highlights:

Total test: 987 (241-827)
Free Test: 37.6 (6.8-21.5)
SHBG: 12 (13-71)
IGF-1: 254 (94-252) [Dr thought I was taking HGH on my own! lol]
Estradiol: 28 (0-53)

RBC: 5.49 (4.1-5.6)
Hemoglobin: 16.6 (12.5-17.0)
Hematocrit: 49.7 (36-50)

All of these blood counts on the edge, but not high.

Glucose: 84 (65-99)
BUN: 17 (5-26)
Creatinine: 1.09 (.76-1.27)
AST: 37 (0-40)
ALT: 35 (0-55)

Cholesterol: 182
Triglycerides: 83 (0-149)
HDL: 41 (>39) kind of low, but actually higher than last bloodwork
LDL: 124 (0-99): high, but actually lower than last bloodwork in 160's

TSH: 2.9 (.45-4.50). I stopped armour about a month ago, and my thyroid is already back to its prearmour TSH.

PSA: 2.8 (0-4.0). I have BPH

In summary, the doctor was well pleased, he said my PSA needs to come down, and wants to try a little bit more frequent arimidex, EOD instead of 3x a week.

The cholesterol numbers need to improve, but he said the TRT may help as we go further along if my diet is good too.

I found it ironic that he had suspected that I was taking HGH! Good sign, I take it?

My strength has been much better just in the last couple of weeks. I need to reign my appetite back in some, but I am definitely dialing in. My one complaint is the amount of time it takes to orgasm, forever and a day. He said the estradiol getting a little lower may help with that as well."

Dr Barrett
05-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks very much for your answer, I am a 45 yrs. lady and just got my yearly mammo done, it came back with bilateral breast microcalcifications in my left breast. The Doc. told me to wait 6 months for the next mammo, but I can't sit here and wonder, I am having a MRI done on Monday. In the even the microcalcifications are bening can I continue taking Femara until the calcification are remove?

Yes, keep taking it.

PB

Dr Barrett
05-12-2009, 01:20 PM
OK Dr, just got my blood results back. Obviously I am very concerned. My BP, LDL and HDL have all improved drastically, as well as my hemoglobin A1c (FYI I am a type 1 diabetic).

The bad part came with my free test levels...80! My FSH was 0.7 ( normal is 1.6-8). LH was 1.1 (normal is 1.5-9.3).

The tests were done being off for 8 weeks. I was running a very low (in my opinion cycle, roughly 300mgs cyp a week and 300 mgs Eq a week). I MADE A HUGE mistake of not doing any PCT this time because of the low doses and for the first time I did not experience a crash in my energy levels...and I do still have a sex drive (of course nothing like when I am on). I also have experienced my strength dropping drastically...I have never been so weak, but I did not lose much size. I was hoping to start up again, that's why I had my levels tested. For now that will be put on hold until I can bring my body up to a somewhat normal range.

What do you suggest?

I doubt you have a Free Testosterone of 80 (normal 1-3). Thats your Total Test which is very low. You need Post Cycle Therapy pronto. I wouldn't go back on until you have exhausted all efforts to preserve natural function.

PB

Dr Barrett
05-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Hey Doc, my right knee has 2 prior surgeries in the past 10 years, main problem is arthritis on the patella, do you do the synvisc injections in your office or do you have to send me to an orthopedic doc? Thanks for your help.

I don't do them. I'd send you to an Orthopedic.

PB

Dr Barrett
05-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Dr Barrett, I posted this up on a non bodybuilding forum, and was accused of doing a mild cycle, and was told my TRT doc was giving me too much T, arimidex, and HCG. Just wanted to see what your opinion is:

"I just got my blood levels back. Everything is pretty awesome. My regimen for the past 8 weeks has been 200mg test cyp once a week on day 7, .5mg arimidex MWF, HCG 500 IU 2x a week on day 5 and 6. Here are the highlights:

Total test: 987 (241-827)
Free Test: 37.6 (6.8-21.5)
SHBG: 12 (13-71)
IGF-1: 254 (94-252) [Dr thought I was taking HGH on my own! lol]
Estradiol: 28 (0-53)

RBC: 5.49 (4.1-5.6)
Hemoglobin: 16.6 (12.5-17.0)
Hematocrit: 49.7 (36-50)

All of these blood counts on the edge, but not high.

Glucose: 84 (65-99)
BUN: 17 (5-26)
Creatinine: 1.09 (.76-1.27)
AST: 37 (0-40)
ALT: 35 (0-55)

Cholesterol: 182
Triglycerides: 83 (0-149)
HDL: 41 (>39) kind of low, but actually higher than last bloodwork
LDL: 124 (0-99): high, but actually lower than last bloodwork in 160's

TSH: 2.9 (.45-4.50). I stopped armour about a month ago, and my thyroid is already back to its prearmour TSH.

PSA: 2.8 (0-4.0). I have BPH

In summary, the doctor was well pleased, he said my PSA needs to come down, and wants to try a little bit more frequent arimidex, EOD instead of 3x a week.

The cholesterol numbers need to improve, but he said the TRT may help as we go further along if my diet is good too.

I found it ironic that he had suspected that I was taking HGH! Good sign, I take it?

My strength has been much better just in the last couple of weeks. I need to reign my appetite back in some, but I am definitely dialing in. My one complaint is the amount of time it takes to orgasm, forever and a day. He said the estradiol getting a little lower may help with that as well."

That whole program seems reasonable to me. Your GH went up a little because of the Cyp Injections.

PB

Dr Barrett
05-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Dr. B-

What would be best to do if I have been using ECA and YCA since 10 weeks out and my body has gotten used to it? I started at 20/200/81 on 2 days of ECA and then 2 days of 5/200/81 on YCA 3 times a day. I have built up to using 30/200/81 three times a day on the ECA, but am scared shitless to go up to 40 or 50 three times a day.

Would it be beneficial to just go EYCA? I am a little over 3 weeks out from a contest and just a tad behind, but not much. I have researched this but cant get an answer that's solid stating how long to run an ECA stack, and how high dosage can go in a healthy individual. Thanks for your time..

That over the counter fat burning stuff isn't my thing buddy. Better off asking Dave Palumbo that stuff. He knows all about it.

PB

musclebitch
05-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Yes, keep taking it.

PB

Thanks Doc.

Crazy Dave
05-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Hello,

I have had obstructive sleep apnea for about 5 years and started using a CPAP machine about a year and 4 months ago to help me breath when I sleep. The CPAP only helps a little. I have good days and really bad days.
On bad days I will be dizzy and have breathing problems.

I weigh 243 pounds @ 27 % body fat.

I think if I could lose 40-50 pounds my apnea would go away. I carry a lot of fat in my face. I'm guessing my neck is full of fat and that is what blocks my airway when I sleep.

I have tried to lose the weight ever since I started having this problem.

A year and a half ago before I got my CPAP I had to go to the emergency room after exercising to one of Jillian Michaels workout. I'll never circuit train again! They said I was hyperventilating. It felt like I was a goner. I have never been the same since that day.

I am currently doing Dave's keto diet. I lift weights on my good days and walk every day for 30 min when I feel up to it. Sometimes the weights and the walking make me feel bad but I have to do something other then sit on my ass all day just hoping to lose weight.

Is there anything I can take to help me recover better.

I have tried creatine, glutamine, ZMA, DHEA and melatonin. Nothing has really worked.

I started taking 5-HTP last week, not sure it is working.

I cant work cause I'm sick most of the time so I don't have insurance. Thank god my dad is still around to help me out.

I am 38 years old. Thank you.

Larmer28
05-17-2009, 11:07 PM
GH would really burn fat off you in my opinion. It will make you feel awesome too. You will probably not find an Endocrinologist who will write it for you. Find an antiaging doc if you want a prayer at all. Prices can vary greatly for this.

PB

Thank you Dr. Barrett. My Dr. is an Anti Aging Dr. she suggested I try "Trev- Tropin" she said she has had real good results with an older gentleman she treats and the cost is substantially less than other GH's she can give me. I was wonder your opinion on Trev- Tropin ? I am thinking of going on for like 6 months, while cheaper than the other options it still bites the wallet.

I am also wondering if I come off in 6 months will there be any noticeable weight gain or things I should be wary of ?

magnus68
05-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Hey Doc, is there any difference in Cyp, Enanth, and compunded sustanon? I have been on Cyp at 300mg every 10 days for 3 years now and thought trying a new test may work better...your thoughts?

Cooker
05-25-2009, 09:44 PM
What are your thoughts on Semorelin as compared to HGH? Thank you.

Dr Barrett
05-28-2009, 02:18 PM

I do a complete physical and check all labs to rule out an Endocrine disorder. I usually find something in the history pointing to the cause. You can also try Levitra.

Dr Barrett
05-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Hello,

I have had obstructive sleep apnea for about 5 years and started using a CPAP machine about a year and 4 months ago to help me breath when I sleep. The CPAP only helps a little. I have good days and really bad days.
On bad days I will be dizzy and have breathing problems.

I weigh 243 pounds @ 27 % body fat.

I think if I could lose 40-50 pounds my apnea would go away. I carry a lot of fat in my face. I'm guessing my neck is full of fat and that is what blocks my airway when I sleep.

I have tried to lose the weight ever since I started having this problem.

A year and a half ago before I got my CPAP I had to go to the emergency room after exercising to one of Jillian Michaels workout. I'll never circuit train again! They said I was hyperventilating. It felt like I was a goner. I have never been the same since that day.

I am currently doing Dave's keto diet. I lift weights on my good days and walk every day for 30 min when I feel up to it. Sometimes the weights and the walking make me feel bad but I have to do something other then sit on my ass all day just hoping to lose weight.

Is there anything I can take to help me recover better.

I have tried creatine, glutamine, ZMA, DHEA and melatonin. Nothing has really worked.

I started taking 5-HTP last week, not sure it is working.

I cant work cause I'm sick most of the time so I don't have insurance. Thank god my dad is still around to help me out.

I am 38 years old. Thank you.

Hey,

You didn't say how tall u were. But it sounds like losing weight would be a priority. At 38 you could have hormone issues. Sleep apnea is associated with low Testosterone. That needs to be checked as well as a full physical with comprehensive lab work.

PB

Dr Barrett
05-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Hey Doc, is there any difference in Cyp, Enanth, and compunded sustanon? I have been on Cyp at 300mg every 10 days for 3 years now and thought trying a new test may work better...your thoughts?

I think you should mix it up and try another compound. There IS a big difference in those drugs. Sust is the most potent with four esters of testosterone surging through the blood.

PB

zipmouth
05-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Dr. Barrett, my internal medicine doctor put me on 10 mg of Androgel per day about 7 months ago (at my request) after borderline low test levels. I felt great for about the first 2 months but results have now diminished. How should I approach her about upping the dosage of moving to injected HRT?

zipmouth
05-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Correction to the above. That's 25 mg per day.

RickBobby
05-31-2009, 11:16 PM
Dr. Barrett, My endocrinologist has me on 8 pumps a day of Androgel around 400-425 for testosterone. Should I try to push my doc to go higher ie IM Test or Compound Test Gel? (He is a runner and doesnt understand lifting weights)
Also Can I add a prohormone for a 4 week cycle to hit strength and size at another angle or is this crazy. Would I need to do a PCT or since I am on Androgel I could skip PCT. O have been on Androgel for 2.5 years and had to increase the dose. I am 44 and 5"8 around 205 lbs Benching 315 wanna hit 405 lbs again like I did 3 years ago when I was on Halodrol before Androgel. Also what are your thoughts on 6-OXO and 3-IC DIM (broccoli derivative) do they work.

RickBobby
05-31-2009, 11:45 PM
Dr Barrett
Another question about test creams. Which do you prefer Androgel or Testim? When would you use Androgel and when would you use TEstim first line? Is one stronger than the other? Whats the best place to apply the creams Arms or abs? Someone said on another forum to apply directly to scrotum for better absorption if you are not going to have sex that day. I know women should not have this applied to them accidently. Whats the most effective place to apply the cream? Is it receptive specific ie if you apple it to triceps then your triceps would be more prone to grow directly

Dr Barrett
06-02-2009, 10:13 AM
What are your thoughts on Semorelin as compared to HGH? Thank you.

The Jury is still oout on that one. Until furthur notice, do the real thing.

PB

Dr Barrett
06-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Dr. Barrett, my internal medicine doctor put me on 10 mg of Androgel per day about 7 months ago (at my request) after borderline low test levels. I felt great for about the first 2 months but results have now diminished. How should I approach her about upping the dosage of moving to injected HRT?

You may not be absorbing it like you should. Ask her to repeat the level while on the gel. If its still low then thats your problem. You are on the max dose already. You should have a custom gel prescribed with 10 times the kick or go to injections.

PB

Dr Barrett
06-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Dr. Barrett, My endocrinologist has me on 8 pumps a day of Androgel around 400-425 for testosterone. Should I try to push my doc to go higher ie IM Test or Compound Test Gel? (He is a runner and doesnt understand lifting weights)
Also Can I add a prohormone for a 4 week cycle to hit strength and size at another angle or is this crazy. Would I need to do a PCT or since I am on Androgel I could skip PCT. O have been on Androgel for 2.5 years and had to increase the dose. I am 44 and 5"8 around 205 lbs Benching 315 wanna hit 405 lbs again like I did 3 years ago when I was on Halodrol before Androgel. Also what are your thoughts on 6-OXO and 3-IC DIM (broccoli derivative) do they work.

Your level is 425 on the gel? Thats fine, you dont need anything higher really. Your doc is not gonna put u on a dose that makes you bigger. He wants levels at normal or high normal range.
Taking a prohormone (ie DHEA) wont help much if your on the gel and prohormones don't require PCT. I heard 6-OXO is powerful stuff but never heard of 3-IC DIM.

PB

Dr Barrett
06-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Dr Barrett
Another question about test creams. Which do you prefer Androgel or Testim? When would you use Androgel and when would you use TEstim first line? Is one stronger than the other? Whats the best place to apply the creams Arms or abs? Someone said on another forum to apply directly to scrotum for better absorption if you are not going to have sex that day. I know women should not have this applied to them accidently. Whats the most effective place to apply the cream? Is it receptive specific ie if you apple it to triceps then your triceps would be more prone to grow directly

I like both gels and have used both extensively. People complain about Testims smell alot. Neither is stronger than the other. You can apply the cream anywhere u want. Chest, abs, ass, legs doesnt matter. I wouldn't put it on your sack...whats the point? And no, it's not site-specific. Meaning....putting on your triceps won't make them grow any more than on another spot.

PB

DR.BB
06-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Dr. Barrett,
What do you make of the theory that applying test gels/creams by the cubital fossa increases absorption or will cause a spike in test levels? Others have suggested that the delts have a greater number of androgen receptors and gels should be applied there? Are these theories nonsense?
Thanks for the info.

gsd1063
06-06-2009, 04:45 PM
hello DR BB, how would you use HCG for weight loss for a 37 female thankyou

tiramisu
06-06-2009, 05:38 PM
[quote=Dr Barrett;72674]It depends what your taking buddy. Assuming you're on some form of Testosterone your main concearns are Gyno, hair loss, and acne. All of these are easily controlled with an antiestrogen (ie Nolvadex or Arimidex), A DHT blocker (Proscar), and an oral antibiotic. There are a host of other possibilities depending on what you take. You should have your PSA checked after 40 before you start as well.[/quot

Do antibiotics reduce, or have impact on, the effects of steroid or vica vwesa?

Cooker
06-07-2009, 06:45 PM
The Jury is still oout on that one. Until furthur notice, do the real thing.

PB

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

derekanthony
06-12-2009, 02:58 AM
Hey dr b hope all is well. Sent three of my clients to you. They said your a pretty cool doc.

My question is bruising. I bruise easly if i get a bruise how can i speed of the healing of a black and blue. Couple days ago i bumped hard into the standing calve machine not paying attetion and left a huge black and blue i mean big. One of my clients is a surgeon he said get arnica montana said that helps heal and speed up the process they give pre and post for surgery for recovery of bruising and swelling. Do you believe in that? And is there anything stronger. I did try the arnica montana on a bruise from a synthol shot lol and it healed in 6 days much faster then normal.but havet tried on this big bruise

thoughts???

Da

SLICED
06-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by GameofInches http://forums.rxmuscle.com/images/okay/buttons/viewpost.gif
you often hear that people he an drastic increase in sex drive/erectile performance when on AAS (specifically Test), but why is it that some individuals do not? Wouldn't it be a given that if Test is the primary catalyst for sex drive and erection, then more of it would lead to an increase. Thanks for the help!

bumping this question..what are your thoughts on this ,doc??

elite_lifter
06-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Hey Dr. Barrett,
I believe you are the one who signs off on all of the blood tests lef sells, I worked for lef as a health advisor for a couple of years. Good to see you here. Great company I still use a lot of their supplements, the lifetime 50% discount is also nice.
EL

BigBilly
06-15-2009, 04:34 PM
i do not have have medical coverage, but i want to get a blood test done, but dont i wanta pay a grip

Jacquester
06-16-2009, 04:59 PM
What do you think might come of this?:

AMA adopts new policy against anti-aging hormones
20 hours ago

CHICAGO (AP) — The American Medical Association says there's no scientific proof to back up claims of anti-aging hormones.

At their annual meeting in Chicago on Monday, AMA delegates adopted a new policy on products such as HGH, DHEA and testosterone used as aging remedies.

With HGH, or human growth hormone, the AMA says evidence suggests long-term use can present more risks than benefits. The risks include tissue swelling and diabetes.

And the AMA says there's no credible evidence that other hormones, so-called bio-identicals, are safer than traditional estrogen and progesterone products.

The traditional hormones are only recommended for menopause symptoms at the lowest possible dose because of long-term health risks.

The AMA says anti-aging hormone promoters need rigorous studies to prove, or disprove, their claims.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Dr Barrett
06-18-2009, 11:52 AM
hello DR BB, how would you use HCG for weight loss for a 37 female thankyou

That's a long talk. Briefly, I prescribe 15 to 18 units a day with a 500-800 cal diet.

PB

Dr Barrett
06-18-2009, 11:57 AM
What do you think might come of this?:

AMA adopts new policy against anti-aging hormones
20 hours ago

CHICAGO (AP) — The American Medical Association says there's no scientific proof to back up claims of anti-aging hormones.

At their annual meeting in Chicago on Monday, AMA delegates adopted a new policy on products such as HGH, DHEA and testosterone used as aging remedies.

With HGH, or human growth hormone, the AMA says evidence suggests long-term use can present more risks than benefits. The risks include tissue swelling and diabetes.

And the AMA says there's no credible evidence that other hormones, so-called bio-identicals, are safer than traditional estrogen and progesterone products.

The traditional hormones are only recommended for menopause symptoms at the lowest possible dose because of long-term health risks.

The AMA says anti-aging hormone promoters need rigorous studies to prove, or disprove, their claims.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Wow, That hurts. But the fact is there are stacks of reputable studies supporting HRT etc. I've never seen tissue sweelling and Diabetes from these meds and I've been doing it 14 years! It's laughable. Please send more jokes Tony.

PB

Dr Barrett
06-18-2009, 11:58 AM
i do not have have medical coverage, but i want to get a blood test done, but dont i wanta pay a grip

Uhhhh....What?

Dr Barrett
06-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by GameofInches http://forums.rxmuscle.com/images/okay/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?p=134477#post134477)
you often hear that people he an drastic increase in sex drive/erectile performance when on AAS (specifically Test), but why is it that some individuals do not? Wouldn't it be a given that if Test is the primary catalyst for sex drive and erection, then more of it would lead to an increase. Thanks for the help!

bumping this question..what are your thoughts on this ,doc??

That has puzzled me for some time but I have theories. One, it may be related to SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin) and defects in it's physiology. It is the Testosterone receptor. Two, many times guys are taking drugs that cause impotence (ie Deca or Tren) with the Testosterone. Or they may be on some prescription that causes it. If all this is ruled out it COULD be mental (ie You hate your wife). There are some guys that none of these apply to and I have no clue.

PB

Dr Barrett
06-18-2009, 01:27 PM
[quote=Dr Barrett;72674]It depends what your taking buddy. Assuming you're on some form of Testosterone your main concearns are Gyno, hair loss, and acne. All of these are easily controlled with an antiestrogen (ie Nolvadex or Arimidex), A DHT blocker (Proscar), and an oral antibiotic. There are a host of other possibilities depending on what you take. You should have your PSA checked after 40 before you start as well.[/quot

Do antibiotics reduce, or have impact on, the effects of steroid or vica vwesa?

It has long been said that Antibiotics may "deactivate" roids. They bind to some of the receptors that roids do. That's why women on The Pill are supposed to use condoms during sex while on antibiotics. I personally have never seen a problem. And In men, I think it's a non-issue. I treat guys on HRT all the time with antibiotics and haven't seen any changes.

PB

Dr Barrett
06-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Hey dr b hope all is well. Sent three of my clients to you. They said your a pretty cool doc.

My question is bruising. I bruise easly if i get a bruise how can i speed of the healing of a black and blue. Couple days ago i bumped hard into the standing calve machine not paying attetion and left a huge black and blue i mean big. One of my clients is a surgeon he said get arnica montana said that helps heal and speed up the process they give pre and post for surgery for recovery of bruising and swelling. Do you believe in that? And is there anything stronger. I did try the arnica montana on a bruise from a synthol shot lol and it healed in 6 days much faster then normal.but havet tried on this big bruise

thoughts???

Da

What's up D? I was just discussing this with a patient yesterday and she said it worked for her too. One study I found said it was no better than placebo, but the internet is loaded with people saying it works. It's really your only option anyway bro. BTW...be careful at the gym. Those gigantic calves are gonna bump into everything.

PB

Dr Barrett
06-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Dr. Barrett,
What do you make of the theory that applying test gels/creams by the cubital fossa increases absorption or will cause a spike in test levels? Others have suggested that the delts have a greater number of androgen receptors and gels should be applied there? Are these theories nonsense?
Thanks for the info.

Hmmmm...never heard that. One thing I advise is to apply the skin to areas that have the least hair. Hair contains 5-alpha reductase which breaks down Test. The antecubital fossa shouldn't be too hairy, but it's your anterior arm and people may smell the gel easier. I have found that my staff (all female of course) is not partial to the "smell". Try putting it on the buttock or legs to minimize that problem.

PB

BigBilly
06-19-2009, 11:13 AM
where can i go to blood work(pre cycle) done with OUT medical coverage

elite_lifter
06-19-2009, 06:34 PM
where can i go to blood work(pre cycle) done with OUT medical coveragewww.lef.org

SLICED
06-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Doc.

I'm planning to jump back on the juice 10-12 weeks long and probably stay on in between cycles ( hrt doses during bridging 250-300mgs)..im approacing 30 ..what are the chances of having kids in the future?

cobra
06-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Hey Doc, I had blood work done and my test levels were 239 in the afternoon, then 245 the next week in the morning. The prob is, the Endo says my LH is low, which means its like my brain is sayin it's okay to have the low test levels. WTF! So the Endo did some more bloodwork and had me do a 24 hr urine sample and I go back to the doc in 2 weeks. He said he don't think that give me test will make me feel better (Tired, low sex drive) so he was talkin about maybe give me clomid. What are your thoughts on all this? It's stressin me the fuck out. Thanx!

Curt James
06-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Dr. Barrett,

Thanks for partipating here and providing answers to our questions.

Extend my life by having someone delete the second "the" in the Subject line! :p

"Ask Dr. Barrett: The the Life Extension Doc"

On a more serious note, what is a ballpark weekly figure for bioidentical hormone replacement and is it your experience that at least some of the cost is covered by insurance?

:beerbang:

P.S. And can you have them delete the period in the Subject line, too? That's what is stressin me the fuck out. Thanx!

Mouse
06-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Dr. Barrett,

Thanks for partipating here and providing answers to our questions.

Extend my life by having someone delete the second "the" in the Subject line! :p

"Ask Dr. Barrett: The the Life Extension Doc"

On a more serious note, what is a ballpark weekly figure for bioidentical hormone replacement and is it your experience that at least some of the cost is covered by insurance?

P.S. And can you have them delete the period in the Subject line, too? That's what is stressin me the fuck out. Thanx!

:):):)

cobra
06-25-2009, 05:48 PM
btw Doc, I'm 22 years old..

derekanthony
06-26-2009, 09:57 AM
hey man hope all is well. to prove my point to a disgusting rumor started by a loser on this site. can you please tell the truth and tell these clowns i dont have aids! that is a vicious lie, and is defimation of charachter. as my doctor can you please state factual information saying iam not hiv positive or have aids. some people are truly pathetic. thanks

see you soon

derek anthony

Curt James
06-26-2009, 11:48 AM
On topic your favor, Derek, your doctor probably can't affirm your health status online. I'm sure it goes against some physician-patient privilege[1] or doctor-patient confidentiality[2].

Plus the doc's last visit to Rx was June 18.

(looks at calendar)

And, heck, you're not even on his friends list. :( You better "Befriend Dr Barrett" pronto, paisano!

Plus there's the time frame from HIV infection to testing positive[3] to consider. It takes the human body a time period of up to 6 months from the first point of infection to produce antibodies to HIV.

That means that someone could have become HIV infected on March 1, tested for HIV on April 1, received a negative, not done anything so far as an HIV risk factor at all from that point forward and still test positive in September. Their body needed that time span to produce the HIV antibodies.

So Dr. Barrett would only be able to state that you tested HIV negative at the time of a specific test. If he could say anything at all with respect to doctor-patient confidentiality.

I guess he could state that much since we have precedent set with doc's revealing personal information on this site. With the patient's permission, of course.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor-patient_privilege
[2] http://www.enotes.com/everyday-law-encyclopedia/doctor-patient-confidentiality
[3] http://www.guardianhealth.org/hiv_testing.htm

Fwiw, I read the one time, years ago, that a person's chances of contracting AIDS was as likely as getting on the Tonight Show, so I doubt you have to wor...

Wait a second! You've been on Letterman. I wonder if that counts.

Seriously, I'd say you're just fine as long as you haven't been swapping needles with someone infected or been having unprotected sex with someone from, say, near the top of this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_HIV/AIDS_adult_prevalence_rate

hey man hope all is well. to prove my point to a disgusting rumor started by a loser on this site. can you please tell the truth and tell these clowns i dont have aids! that is a vicious lie, and is defimation of charachter. as my doctor can you please state factual information saying iam not hiv positive or have aids. some people are truly pathetic. thanks

see you soon

derek anthony

Again, if the doc can say anything at all, it would be just that you tested negative on a specific date. I don't believe any doctor can say, "My client is HIV negative." Well, perhaps pediatricians.

Doc, you out there? Is there a time window there? Can a baby with a mother who has AIDS test negative at birth and then show up positive months later? :(

I'm not a doctor. I'm not a scientist. I loooove me some Google.

I doubt you are HIV or have AIDS, DA.

I think you need to grow a thicker skin and tell your haters that you DO have **** and when you see them that you're going to ana*** r*** them. ;)

And, now, a bit of additional Rx Theater. :popcorn:

But what I wanna know is why can't someone delete the extra "the" in the subject line. Do you think anyone is going to go the extra mile to affirm your health status? :mad:

WHO'S ASLEEP AT THE SWITCH?!

Moderators: Mouse, Gaoshang Xiongshou, tammyp, Ondrea, sassy69, Tatyana, Sistersteel

Oh! I SEE.

Mouse was mocking me by smiling at the extra word. Taunting me because of my OCD for correct whatever that is.

GX is too busy trying to catch up to my score in the trivia game to delete one crummy extra word. HA! I see how you are! And, yeah, he's training TEH MMA XBOX SUPER FIGHTAH. tammyp is somewhere being cute and fun-sized. Automatic Pass!

Ondrea is on Facebook (having a REAL Internet life) and can't be bothered with a Subject line on this site. :-(

sassy69 let the celebrity go to her head. She's probably off doing another interview! :cool:

Tatyana is too busy to help because, hey, she's a scientist. And all that copying and pasting is a LOT more important than an extra the that I'm stressing about. :mad:

Sistersteel refuses to do anything until her hair grows out. :eek:

Curt James
06-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Seriously, I'd say you're just fine as long as you haven't been swapping needles with someone infected or been having unprotected sex with someone from, say, near the top of this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_HIV/AIDS_adult_prevalence_rate

Swaziland and Botswana top that list, but the "Date of Population Data" is from 2008, so considering the time window, well, how useful is that info?

derekanthony
06-26-2009, 01:06 PM
On topic your favor, Derek, your doctor probably can't affirm your health status online. I'm sure it goes against some physician-patient privilege[1] or doctor-patient confidentiality[2].

Plus the doc's last visit to Rx was June 18.

(looks at calendar)

And, heck, you're not even on his friends list. :( You better "Befriend Dr Barrett" pronto, paisano!

Plus there's the time frame from HIV infection to testing positive[3] to consider. It takes the human body a time period of up to 6 months from the first point of infection to produce antibodies to HIV.

That means that someone could have become HIV infected on March 1, tested for HIV on April 1, received a negative, not done anything so far as an HIV risk factor at all from that point forward and still test positive in September. Their body needed that time span to produce the HIV antibodies.

So Dr. Barrett would only be able to state that you tested HIV negative at the time of a specific test. If he could say anything at all with respect to doctor-patient confidentiality.

I guess he could state that much since we have precedent set with doc's revealing personal information on this site. With the patient's permission, of course.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor-patient_privilege
[2] http://www.enotes.com/everyday-law-encyclopedia/doctor-patient-confidentiality
[3] http://www.guardianhealth.org/hiv_testing.htm

Fwiw, I read the one time, years ago, that a person's chances of contracting AIDS was as likely as getting on the Tonight Show, so I doubt you have to wor...

Wait a second! You've been on Letterman. I wonder if that counts.

Again, if the doc can say anything at all, it would be just that you tested negative on a specific date. I don't believe any doctor can say, "My client is HIV negative." Well, perhaps pediatricians.

Doc, you out there? Is there a time window there? Can a baby with a mother who has AIDS test negative at birth and then show up positive months later? :(

I'm not a doctor. I'm not a scientist. I loooove me some Google.

I doubt you are HIV or have AIDS, DA.

I think you need to grow a thicker skin and tell your haters that you DO have **** and when you see them that you're going to ana*** r*** them. ;)

And, now, a bit of additional Rx Theater. :popcorn:

But what I wanna know is why can't someone delete the extra "the" in the subject line. Do you think anyone is going to go the extra mile to affirm your health status? :mad:

WHO'S ASLEEP AT THE SWITCH?!

Moderators: Mouse, Gaoshang Xiongshou, tammyp, Ondrea, sassy69, Tatyana, Sistersteel

Oh! I SEE.

Mouse was mocking me by smiling at the extra word. Taunting me because of my OCD for correct whatever that is.

GX is too busy trying to catch up to my score in the trivia game to delete one crummy extra word. HA! I see how you are! And, yeah, he's training TEH MMA XBOX SUPER FIGHTAH. tammyp is somewhere being cute and fun-sized. Automatic Pass!

Ondrea is on Facebook (having a REAL Internet life) and can't be bothered with a Subject line on this site. :-(

sassy69 let the celebrity go to her head. She's probably off doing another interview! :cool:

Tatyana is too busy to help because, hey, she's a scientist. And all that copying and pasting is a LOT more important than an extra the that I'm stressing about. :mad:

Sistersteel refuses to do anything until her hair grows out. :eek:i dont have fucking hiv or aids im proving a fucking point !

Curt James
06-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Gotcha.

Have a great weekend. Fuck the haters.

Dr Barrett
07-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Correction to the above. That's 25 mg per day.

You cant be on 25mg of Androgel a day. It's usually dosed 5 or 10 grams a day. Make sure you are maxed out on the dose before you change it up. Get a blood test to see if your absorbing it right. If not, maybe she will change you.

PB

Dr Barrett
07-09-2009, 10:03 AM
where can i go to blood work(pre cycle) done with OUT medical coverage

You can have them done in any docs office. It doesn't matter if u have insurance. You will however have to pay out the ass!

PB

Dr Barrett
07-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Doc.

I'm planning to jump back on the juice 10-12 weeks long and probably stay on in between cycles ( hrt doses during bridging 250-300mgs)..im approacing 30 ..what are the chances of having kids in the future?

If you stay on continously (even low dose) your chances of having a kid will go down big time. You shouldn't stay on more than 4 months and should always do Post Cycle Therapy.

PB

Dr Barrett
07-09-2009, 11:02 AM
:):):)

Insurance usually doesn't cover it. It runs about 100 bucks a month for the meds. That doesn't include doctor fees.

PB

Dr Barrett
07-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey Doc, I had blood work done and my test levels were 239 in the afternoon, then 245 the next week in the morning. The prob is, the Endo says my LH is low, which means its like my brain is sayin it's okay to have the low test levels. WTF! So the Endo did some more bloodwork and had me do a 24 hr urine sample and I go back to the doc in 2 weeks. He said he don't think that give me test will make me feel better (Tired, low sex drive) so he was talkin about maybe give me clomid. What are your thoughts on all this? It's stressin me the fuck out. Thanx!

I think Test would DEFINITELY make you feel better. But a young guy with this problem should try to trick on his "natural" Testosterone. Takng Test could further complicate matters. Your brain isn't saying it's OK BTW, your brain is probably the source of the problem. You have Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism (the LH and FSH secretion is abnormal). Clomid will attempt to Increase LH and get you going. If it doesn't work (and I would use HCG with it) then u need Test replacement...period.

PB

strength
07-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Hi Dr. Barrett.

Would like to know your take on my recent TSH, t4, and t3 uptake levels are.

I am on trt, and just got done with a "blast"

TSH- 5.37 (.45-4.5)
T4- 6.0 (4.5-12.0)
t3 uptake- 49 (24-39)

All other labs were normal considering what I was running.

I won't even tell you what total test was ;)

JG1
07-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Dr. Barrett,

We you presrcibe hGH, what is the usual dose you use for men....2iu/day?

And how do you have then use it every day, every other day, or 5 on 2 off?

thanks,

Dr Barrett
07-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi Dr. Barrett.

Would like to know your take on my recent TSH, t4, and t3 uptake levels are.

I am on trt, and just got done with a "blast"

TSH- 5.37 (.45-4.5)
T4- 6.0 (4.5-12.0)
t3 uptake- 49 (24-39)

All other labs were normal considering what I was running.

I won't even tell you what total test was ;)

Those numbers aren't terrible. You may need a higher dose of TRT since your TSH is still high. A "blast" could mean anthing from doing an 8 ball to IV Heroin, hopefully you meant something like a Cytomel cycle?

Dr Barrett
07-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Dr. Barrett,

We you presrcibe hGH, what is the usual dose you use for men....2iu/day?

And how do you have then use it every day, every other day, or 5 on 2 off?

thanks,

I base it on weight. If your a lightweight (200 or less in my book) 2 iu/day will suffice. Above 200 may need 3 -4. Rarely should one take more than 4. I see bone growth and skull expansion (acromegally) with spaces in the teeth with high doses (exceptions include HIV patients and pediatrics). It should be taken every day! I need to know why people are skipping days. What is the logic in that?

PB

strength
07-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Those numbers aren't terrible. You may need a higher dose of TRT since your TSH is still high. A "blast" could mean anthing from doing an 8 ball to IV Heroin, hopefully you meant something like a Cytomel cycle?

I was running 1gram test/600 deca/600 eq

JG1
07-10-2009, 02:32 PM
I base it on weight. If your a lightweight (200 or less in my book) 2 iu/day will suffice. Above 200 may need 3 -4. Rarely should one take more than 4. I see bone growth and skull expansion (acromegally) with spaces in the teeth with high doses (exceptions include HIV patients and pediatrics). It should be taken every day! I need to know why people are skipping days. What is the logic in that?

PB

Here is why a lot of people are using EOD injects.

EOD GH injections are better!..... study says

A very thorough well controlled 4 year study published on
The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Vol. 87, No.8 3573-3577
clearly shows every other day (EOD) hGH injections to be much more beneficial in
the long run to everyday injections. Everyday injections seems to drastically lower
your body's sensitivity to it's own GH secretion. The study included children with idiopathic
short stature, but can be ever casting on us, normal non-deficient hGH individuals who
may use hGH periodically for bodybuilding, sports and health purposes.

The 38 children were divided into 2 groups:
Group I received daily hGH injections.
Group II received alternate day hGH injections.

It is important to note that the total weekly dosage of hGH
was the same for both groups.

Both groups received the hGH therapy contiguously for 2 years.
Their natural growth was followed for an additional 2 years after hGH therapy ended.
They were all measured at 3-month intervals during the 4 years period (2 years
with hGH therapy and 2 years after). Their Serum GH was measured by double antibody RIA kit.

During hGH therapy, both groups accelerated their growth substantially.
Group I receiving the daily hGH injections first & second year velocity was 3.4 and 2.3 SD
Group II receiving the alternate hGH inj. had 3.0 and 2.0 SD for first and second year respectively.

Over the initial 6 months after withdrawal of therapy, growth velocity decelerated to a low nadir -3.9 SD score
for the daily therapy group, whereas it decelerated in the alternate day group to only -0.2 SD score.

During the 2 years off therapy, the later group (taking EOD injections)
maintained growth rates of -0.2 to -1.2 SD score, which is similar to their SD score prior to the hGH treatment.
The daily group also recovered but very slowly, on the fourth semiannual evaluation off therapy.
The cumulative 4-year growth velocity (2yrs on and 2 yrs off therapy) of the alternate day group was greater
than that of the daily therapy group (mean, 0.9 vs. 0.3 SD score).

At the end of the 4-yr therapy period, the adult height prediction of the alternate day group was greater
than that of the daily group by a mea of 6.5cm (that's over 2.5" in height, quite a lot of difference)

In even simpler English, to translate what it may mean to us is that using hGH everyday will only
negligibly give better short-term results. Yet using alternate day hGH will give radically better long-term
results and much better recovery. As the body may get back to homeostasis much faster.

Remember the two groups got the same weekly total hGH dosage,
so your every other day hGH injections would be twice as if you used
it every day.

The researchers said, the dose was of less impotency than the schedule of the injections.
Daily hGH therapy for 3 years caused subnormal growth persisting for 1.5 years (very bad)

It may be that the problem is not enough hGH or IGF-1 secretion but rather
the body's decreased sensitivity to it. The interesting part is that the serum GH levels
and serum IGF-I and IGF-binding protein remained unaffected or relatively mutely affected.
Even your body's endogenous pulsatile secretion of GH resumes within just days
even after long-term hGH therapy.

The researchers hypothesis is that the tolerance may be in the "GH signal transduction in
selective target organs in response to the disappearance of the unique pulsatile
pattern of serum GH during GH therapy". You see, hGH taken via sc injections
do not imitate the your body's own GH secretion.
"Indeed, daily sc administration of GH results in an unphysiological serum GH profile, with peak
levels at 4 h and a slow decline over the course of the following 12–24 h. This pattern can be
regarded as continuous administration, rather than the physiological GH pulses,
with a frequency of about eight per day."
"Assuming that the withdrawal syndrome is related to tolerance that might have developed toward
hGH or IGF-I, we tried to prevent it by alternate day treatment. Moreover, hGH doses used in
therapy often stimulate IGF-I to supraphysiological serum levels, suggesting that target
tissues IGF-I may also be higher than normal. The mechanism seems, therefore, to rest
with hGH and IGF-I action at their target tissues. We now show that alternate day therapy
with hGH in children with an intact GH-IGF-I axis prevents the withdrawal syndrome"

Researchers mark the analogy to another endocrine tolerance and withdrawal syndrome:
"alternate day therapy with glucocoricoids prevents tolerance to that hormone to a substantial degree,
"Interestingly, glucocoricoids withdrawal syndrome can also occur while the
hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis is intact (8), indicating that tolerance to glucocoricoids has developed
at the target organ level (9). "

An example of a good safe protocol to follow in my opinion could be

hGH taken for 4 months (16 weeks) or more at 8IU every other day,
split to 4IU three hours after waking up (say 11:00am)
and another 4IU taken 4 hours later (say 3:00pm).
This approach is quite conservative and may be optimal.

Obviously, you may extend past 4months, and take more IUs per day.
This approach goes with 8IU EOD, so it is equivalent to folks that would
otherwise go with 4IU ED, which is what most do.

There is some controversy as to how many of these IUs the body
can utilize at once

Obviously, there are lot of studies, some better conducted, some less.
Lots of opinions and doctrines in endocrinology, bodybuilding etc..
So you should make your own decision, I guess old individuals on
hGH for life would not mind, as no rebound would affect them. Professional
bodybuilders probably wouldn't mind as well.

I would rather follow a protocol like this. For most part due to the
nasty rebound that I could get after withdrawing from long-term ED hGH treatment.
Nothing worse then look awesome, stop hGH then after several months having:
Low body sensitivity to your own body's GH.
Slow recovery
Decline in resting cardiac output
Increase fat mass
Decrease in metabolic rate
Negative nitrogen balance, phosphorus, sodium and potassium.

Again, I said "could" not "would", because this study cannot absolutely manifest
our use of hGH. Moreso, we are not children, we are not idiopathic hGH deficient
and not aGHD. But since the weekly dosages do remain the same as well as the
duration of the hGH usage. Just changing to the EOD protocol from the well
hyped everyday inj protocol is worth in my honest opinion. It seems statistically
a better bet, with more chance to win, than loose as opposed to the ED protocol.

I just tried to summarize the findings of the study, which was by the way,
a pleasure to read as the study is well written and was prepared by
Dr Hochberg, MD, a renowned well respected figure in endocrinology.

You can read the full article with all the graphs and details here:
http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/87/8/3573 (http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/87/8/3573)
With references to 23 studies.

Here are some interesting graphs:

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/vol87/issue8/images/medium/eg0828721002.gif
This graph shows the difference growth velocity difference pre GH treatment, and at the
end of the trial, 4 years after (2 years after withdrawal from GH treatment)
The dark bar marks the alternate day injections. The light bar marks the every day injections,
note that the every day injections group saw worse long-term (4 yrs) results as opposed
to the alternate day group.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/vol87/issue8/images/medium/eg0828721003.gif
This graph shows the annual bone age advancement in children treated with
alternate GH injections and daily injections.
The light bar marks the every day injections, the dark bar the alternate day injections.
In first two years (the years they were taking hGH), take a look at the relatively
small advantage ED injections gave over the EOD inj, as opposed to the 2 years
after withdrawal of the treatment. The EOD group shows a better response

JG1
07-10-2009, 02:34 PM

PB

Do you think acromegally if of concern with 3-4iu/day in a 200+ lb man?

What about hypertrophy of the heart?

cobra
07-10-2009, 08:06 PM
I think Test would DEFINITELY make you feel better. But a young guy with this problem should try to trick on his "natural" Testosterone. Takng Test could further complicate matters. Your brain isn't saying it's OK BTW, your brain is probably the source of the problem. You have Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism (the LH and FSH secretion is abnormal). Clomid will attempt to Increase LH and get you going. If it doesn't work (and I would use HCG with it) then u need Test replacement...period.

PB

Hey Doc, today the Endo perscribed me Clomid @ 25 mgs two times a week. Just curious, how long until I may see or feel benefits from this and get to feelin better if it works? Thanx.

Cooker
07-12-2009, 10:38 PM
It should be taken every day! I need to know why people are skipping days. What is the logic in that?

It seems many docs recommend 5 on 2 off. I am not sure if this is a cost savings recommendation or if there is a valid reason for this. By your statement it seems you prefer 7 days a week without breaks? Would results suffer greatly by a 5 on 2 off schedule? Thank you for your comments.

SpeedoGuido
07-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi Dr Barrett,

I'm 53 years old, natural for life, been working out for about 38 years.

With my usual summer diet I lose about 2 lbs a week but this year I'm having a heck of a time losing weight.

Also, I'm having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. I sleep for about two hours and can't fall back to sleep. I haven't slept more than a 4 hour stretch in months.

In the last few months I've notice a drastic drop in body temperature. It's gone as low as 96.1 degrees but it's usually around 97.2..... it's never even close to 98.6.

The funny thing is I feel great (other than being cold all the time) and I haven't been sick with a cold or flu in about two years, my sex drive seems ok.... and I have plenty of energy for my workouts..... although I seem to lack motivation for everything else in life.

I'm thinking about getting my Thyroid and Hormone levels checked.
Are these symptoms characteristic of hypothyroid or low hormone levels?
If so, what tests do you recommend?

Thanks!

Maximus78
07-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Hey Doc, im in the area and was wondering if your taking any new patients?

ricker35910
07-17-2009, 12:15 PM
i just finished my run with humilin r, i ramped up to 10iu's a day, i was on for 4wks never really had any problems while on it but now that i'm off i am hypoglycemic, is this something i will have to live with the rest of my life? also i was taking a low dose of hgh prescribed from my doc, can i still take that or will that cause my glucose to drop?

drbill1
07-18-2009, 07:31 PM
dr barrett- i live in long island and have been referred to come see you. i am 49 yod and have, since 10/08 been on test 50 mg oral troches rx'ed by a anti aging md in miami who was referred by some of my buddies down there. after the first 3 mos thru 12/08 he then added winstrol for hardness and i was alternating 50 mg/test troche one day and then winstrol troche the next day...alternated for 4 mos. felt nice increases and my baseline total test was 400 prior to any therapy and went up to 550 thru this therapy. started feeling hypertensive so he took me off winstrol and have been on test 50mg every day since.
just had my total test blood test done twice this week and both times came in at 109 and 119! i am freakin out and need help for post cycle therapy or hormone replacement if my own test is shut off..what do you recomend? i am an oral surgeon on long island-BTW, show no symptoms and feel great!

muscles_1976
07-20-2009, 02:55 PM
is dr barrett still actieve on this thread?

anabolic fyre
07-20-2009, 03:33 PM
hey if i use a 1 1/2 inch pin on my delt nd go all the way in, how much damage can it really do?? some say its ok, some say dont do it. i cant get my hand on 1 inchs so this is why im asking.thanks you.

Dr Barrett
07-22-2009, 01:28 PM
is dr barrett still actieve on this thread?

Yes I am alive and well. Sorry about any delayed responses buddy.

Dr Barrett
07-22-2009, 01:30 PM
hey if i use a 1 1/2 inch pin on my delt nd go all the way in, how much damage can it really do?? some say its ok, some say dont do it. i cant get my hand on 1 inchs so this is why im asking.thanks you.

I don't think you can do much damage. Theres no vital structures or vessels and Nerves under the medial Delt. You dont need to bury the pin 1.5 inches you know. Just go in like an inch. Or hit the butt cheek deep.

PB

Dr Barrett
07-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Doc.

That plan will definitely decrease your fertility. Theres no telling how much though. I would assume you are fertile until proven otherwise with a semen analysis.

PB

Dr Barrett
07-22-2009, 01:56 PM

see you soon

derek anthony

Derek DOES NOT HAVE HIV!! IT IS A REDICULOUS RUMOR. IF I NEED TO I WILL SCAN HIS LAB RESULTS FOR ALL TO SEE. BUT IS THIS REALLY NECESSARY???? I HOPE THIS CLEARS THE AIR DEREK. I AM SORRY YOU HAD TO ENDURE THIS BS.

PB

cobra
07-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Hey Doc, today the Endo perscribed me Clomid @ 25 mgs two times a week. Just curious, how long until I may see or feel benefits from this and get to feelin better if it works? Thanx.

missed me, bump.

Dr Barrett
07-22-2009, 03:32 PM
hey doc, im in the area and was wondering if your taking any new patients?

of course i am!

Pb

muscles_1976
07-22-2009, 04:29 PM
do you check/reply to pm's...........I have sent something there

Dr Barrett
07-22-2009, 05:52 PM

Wow, that dose is very low. most docs write clomid 25mg EVERY DAY for about 6 weeks. It usually takes about a month to feel better. At that low dose it will probably take longer if it works at all.

PB