PDA

View Full Version : The Paul Revelia (fltallpaul) Q&A Thread

Pages : [1] 2

AVBG
12-01-2009, 03:10 PM
New NGA pro Paul Revelia has come on board here on RX Muscle to share his own experiences on his succession to the pro ranks.

Give us some background Paul?

fltallpaul
12-01-2009, 03:46 PM
First of all I would like to say thank you to Alex who contacted me about posting in this forum. I plan on being a productive contributor and answering any questions. Here is a brief background about me.

My name is Paul Revelia. I turned 34 in October and live in Orlando, Fl. I began bodybuilding to put size on my skinny frame in high school. My first book was the Arnold Schwarzenegger Modern Bodybuilding Encyclopedia. I played baseball in college on Scholarship so my lifting was interrupted often but I always had a passion for lifting. Those initial images or Arnold, Franco and Zane will always be with me and my goal. I am a life time Natural Bodybuilder as well.

In 2007 I decided I wanted to try my luck at competing. I contacted Layne Norton about doing a show and thus began my competitive career. Although I am late in the competitive game I feel that all those years of lifting, over eating, over dieting, frustration and perseverance really gave me a solid base to work with. As soon as Layne got a hold of my nutrition and workout regime he took me to another level. I have not looked back since. I find myself more motivated than ever to step on the Pro Stage as a force in the coming years.

I do bring something a bit unique to the table in that I am 6'3". Height and bodybuilding don't necessarily work but I will not let that slow me down. I have had success thus far and I feel with the work I plan on putting in I will continue to do so in the future. As I prepare for the Pro Stage I will also share some videos and workout highlights. I will be more than happy to answer any questions anyone has and give my insights on any topic I feel qualified to answer.

Contest History
2008 NPC Mid Florida Muscle Classic Novice Champion
2009 NGA Florida Natural Championships Overall Champion
2009 OCB Midwest States Tall Class Champion

A few pictures I have in my collection. I will post more as they come in. I have had two photo shoots in the last few weeks which I should be getting some great pictures from.

One week out
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/workout/rearlat110309.jpg http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/workout/reardub110309.jpg

4 Days out
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/workout/sidechest110409.jpg

Day before
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/workout/hams110609.jpg

Overall Presentation
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/NGA%20Florida%202009/IMG_0439-2.jpg

fltallpaul
12-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Photoshoot between shows
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/workout/3point.jpg

Midwest States
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/groupfront.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/SideChestRoutine.jpg http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/MMroutine.jpg

Again, thanks to Alex for this opportunity.

GENESIS
12-01-2009, 03:55 PM
do you ever plan on doing any NPC shows?

fltallpaul
12-01-2009, 04:06 PM
do you ever plan on doing any NPC shows?

Great question and the answer is yes. Here is why.

In Florida there are a ton of NPC shows and very few Drug Tested shows. I only know of 1 Pro Drug Tested show in Florida which I plan to do that is the NGA Pro Universe. There are several drug tested NPC shows and some really great NPC shows in general. Here is a list of shows I would like to do in the future.

NPC Dexter Jackson Classic in Jacksonville, Fl
NPC Mid Florida Muscle Classic in Orlando, Fl
NPC Typhoon Bay in Tampa Bay, Fl
NPC Gold Cup in West Palm Beach, Fl

I will also keep an eye out for other shows which catch my eye. Some day I would like to try my luck at the Team Universe but that is several years away I feel. For now I am going to focus on putting on the size I need to compete at my best.

Down4whatever
12-01-2009, 04:18 PM
I know being tall is rough as I'm 6'1". It's especially difficult in the leg area if a person is not genetically gifted.

Your legs have great detail and appear to be a strength area (not that you lack anything), what kinds of leg work/movements do you put the most focus on?

fltallpaul
12-01-2009, 04:32 PM
I know being tall is rough as I'm 6'1". It's especially difficult in the leg area if a person is not genetically gifted.

Your legs have great detail and appear to be a strength area (not that you lack anything), what kinds of leg work/movements do you put the most focus on?

Thank you and I have been working very hard over the last few years to make sure my legs were not a glaring weakness. I feel they have responded well in that time and become a strong point for me as well.

Being tall means long range of motion so I have always put an emphasis on this. I will never be the strongest person around so I instead place more focus on building muscle through range of motion and mind muscle connection. Ofcourse no one is getting big without getting strong so I am constantly pushing for new Personal Records. Here are the movements which have yielded the best gains for me with legs.

Hack Squat (full range and varied foot positions)
Stiff Legged Dead Lift
Squats
Deadlifts
Lunges
Leg Press (various foot positions)

I stick to the basics and use all of these as power movements. I have recently learned how to squat with the bar lower on my back, below my traps. This is allowing me to squat deep without pitching forward and keeping my legs more involved. I will post a video soon with this technique.

Thank you.

AVBG
12-01-2009, 06:07 PM
I already like this guy!

Paul, speak on range of motion particularly for us taller guys?

NATURAL-1987
12-01-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm 5'11". so lets hear what your saying on this. You were in a class of your own in that comparison shot. Just unreal condition, if I recall your one of Laynes guys?

nutratroy
12-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Paul is the real deal. I had the pleasure of meeting him and seeing him earn his Pro Status in Fl. He will be a force to recok with. I see a few pro wins for him in the next decade:)

Hey Beef!

nutratroy
12-02-2009, 01:16 AM
I already like this guy!

Love this guy!

AVBG
12-02-2009, 04:21 AM
Love this guy!

You're not too bad yourself stud;)

fltallpaul
12-02-2009, 07:36 AM
I already like this guy!

Range of motion is a term that gets thrown around alot. Often time you hear people say that you have to use the "full range of motion" for a workout to be effective. This saying is a bit off because full range of motion is limited when we use bodybuilding equipment.

For example. The chest muscles are designed to move the arm across the body. The bench press is widely considered the best chest builder yet the bar does not allow us to get a full range of motion.

I began examining all my lifts several years ago and learned to use what I call the "exercises full range of motion". Each lift I do I think about the muscles being worked and use the lift to its greatest benefit. For something like curls I make sure to get full extension and contraction. For bench press I put the bar in a position which puts my chest in action, what some consider a power lifters position.

I have also always gotten a much better response and muscle growth when I make sure that the muscle is activated at the bottom of its stretch. Sure cheating and swinging have thier place and time but for the most part I use each rep as a brand new starting point. Activating the muscle from the start really has helped me get thicker over the years, and I have trained others who have noticed the same thing. When they train with me and with my style they get thicker even though they use less weight initially. Something funny also happens when you lower the weight and use perfect form...your strength goes right back up to where it was.

This is such a good topic especially for tall guys. My basic thought process is to think about each lift I am doing and what muscles are being targetted. This ensures I use the lift most efficiently to build thicker, stronger muscles, because that is my goal.

fltallpaul
12-02-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm 5'11". so lets hear what your saying on this. You were in a class of your own in that comparison shot. Just unreal condition, if I recall your one of Laynes guys?

Thanks Natural yes I am one of Layne's clients and have learned a great deal from him. We have actually become friends and spending time in his pressence and asking questions is a great way to learn. I will actually be doing some power lifting under his guidance early next year once I get my strength back to full off season numbers. I am looking forward to hitting some nice goals on the big 3.

Paul is the real deal. I had the pleasure of meeting him and seeing him earn his Pro Status in Fl. He will be a force to recok with. I see a few pro wins for him in the next decade:)

Hey Beef!

Thanks Troy, I will never forget what you said to me before we even knew each other as you walked into the athletes meeting, lol.

Layne told me you were a really nice guy but he still sold you short. You are a great example of how we should all behave in this sport, supporting each other. Gaspari is lucky to have you on thier team as you are a great ambasador for the sport, Krissy isn't too bad either, lol.

I am going to bust my ass so I can make your prediction true, winning a Pro Show is my ultimate goal. I would also like to make callouts at Team Universe someday.

DAVIDHARDY
12-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the pics Paul. Do you have them in another format? Gmail isn't allowing them to be downloaded, because it is saying that the files are corrupt for some reason. Maybe my computer is just being a bitchass. Sorry for the non-bodybuilding related question lol.

fltallpaul
12-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the pics Paul. Do you have them in another format? Gmail isn't allowing them to be downloaded, because it is saying that the files are corrupt for some reason. Maybe my computer is just being a bitchass. Sorry for the non-bodybuilding related question lol.

I will try sending them over one at a time, I think they are too big to send together. Sorry for that, getting on it now.

DAVIDHARDY
12-02-2009, 08:08 AM
I will try sending them over one at a time, I think they are too big to send together. Sorry for that, getting on it now.

No problem man, take your time. I'm at work now and can't access that e-mail...thank God they haven't banned Rx yet lol.

NATURAL-1987
12-02-2009, 12:35 PM
How much weight did you drop for the NGA show and in what time period? Your skin is tight, your vascularity is crazy, and your skin is like an onion skin. Not to mention I don't think we could find any fat on you from head to toe.

k-dawg
12-02-2009, 01:05 PM
what did the end of your diet look like? macros? what do you feel is the best as far as fatloss, keto or carbs included? a

fltallpaul
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
No problem man, take your time. I'm at work now and can't access that e-mail...thank God they haven't banned Rx yet lol.

I sent you one more just to see how it goes, they are rather large files. Each one is over 5mb.

How much weight did you drop for the NGA show and in what time period? Your skin is tight, your vascularity is crazy, and your skin is like an onion skin. Not to mention I don't think we could find any fat on you from head to toe.

I lost 30lbs in 23 weeks going into the NGA show. I chose this number after chatting with several Pro's. One person in particular is the example I used. Brian Whitacre seems to be the most shredded pro out there and so I thought I would ask him his thoughts on diet. He responded that he dieted for 27 weeks this year for the WNBF World's after winning his class last year. I also asked if he did anything special at the end and he said he was actually ready about 3 weeks out and just stayed there.

As far as making the skin look thin I think that is a combo of being very low bodyfat and then filling out. My carbs are over 400 on refeed days and on show day probably well beyond that. I also drink two gallons of water a day through the show, being sure to drink 12 ozs with each meal. Add a pump to the fact that I am lean and full and then you get the effect of added vascularity and the illusion of thin skin. I still think I can get leaner for the next go around. I had glute striations but not all the way up, I only had about 4 hard lines in my butt and looking at Brian I see he gets his entire glute striated. My diet lasted two more weeks after the NGA show and I actually noticed a bit more seperation in my glutes and lower back during that time so I know I can be more efficient next time around. Here is a picture of Brian that I used as motivation all year.

This is him 1 week out...does he look like he needs to rely on any peak week strategy or just show up and fill out...this picture still gets me motivated.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/whit1317/RD1week.jpg

fltallpaul
12-02-2009, 01:48 PM
what did the end of your diet look like? macros? what do you feel is the best as far as fatloss, keto or carbs included? a

The last few weeks of my diet I was eating 260p/200c/55f. This also included a refeed of 250p/330c/45f.

I can't speak intelligently on Keto diets because I have never tried one. From everything I can tell though people on Keto diets have a harder time filling out because they are not used to large amounts of carbs. I do know Jason (Scoobysnacks) uses Keto during his prep but he is very experienced and knows how to go in and out of keto while using carbs effectively.

Personally I burn through carbs very very fast. The first 16 weeks of my diet I was over 300 carbs a day and still losing weight on 4 days of cardio a week. I also do HIIT cardio which I have heard is not a good idea on Keto. Hope this helps.

bhman6
12-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Paul what food choices did you prefer to hit those macros, and how did you generally set up your daily diet?

fltallpaul
12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Paul what food choices did you prefer to hit those macros, and how did you generally set up your daily diet?

Protein Sources: Chicken, Tilapia, Eggs, Tuna, Whey, Turkey
Carb Sources: Sweet Potato, White Potato, Fiber One Bars, Granola, Oat Meal, Baked Lays, Fat Free Pop Corn
Fat Sources: Almonds, Avocado, Yolks

Supplements:
Whey
Xtend
VasoCharge
Dialene 4x
Cell Tech
Fish Oil
Sessamin

Here is a typical day of cooking at my house. My girl helps alot and she is also getting into competing so she has taken to this sport like a duck to water. It really helps that we both eat alot of the same foods and help each other cook.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Random/photo.jpg

My typical daily diet would look like this during contest prep. I eat more off season so I would add a meal or two depending on needs.

7am: 40c\50p\10f
11am: 30c\40p\10f
3pm: 20c\40p\10f
6pm: 55c\60p\5f pre workout
9pm: 55c\50p\5f post workout
10pm: 20c\30p\10f

This would be my strategy if I was on 220 carbs which was the last few weeks.

NATURAL-1987
12-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I see you giver on the seasonings going by the pics. Only ms. dash or any with sodium? Also what condiments do you use if any?

fltallpaul
12-03-2009, 12:35 PM
I see you giver on the seasonings going by the pics. Only ms. dash or any with sodium? Also what condiments do you use if any?

I don't worry about sodium too much. I have always had success by keeping my sodium consistent and water high. The body adapts to what you do with sodium so I just make sure not to make drastic changes which would force the body to adjust.

As for seasoning I use Old Bay Seafood Rub on the fish and Lawry's for the chicken. I am not a big condiment user but Mustard is a favorite. I avoid Mayonaise mostly because I love it. I do use fat free Mayo for making Tuna sometimes, although mustard does the job just fine for me.

I do account for everything I eat and my diet is very consistent during contest prep so even if my calculations are off, they are off consistently and when I make an adjustment it still adjusts for me.

Fitday has been a great tool which I have learned to use in tracking my diet precisely. I create custom food labels for items I make at home like omlettes with fat free cheese. I also include sodium information so when the time comes I can track that as well. My daily sodium tends to be around 2.5-3grams.

nutratroy
12-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Paul...thanks for the kind words brother....Hey, how much posing did you practice for the show?

fitcorps
12-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Paul, congrats on the thread! You deserve it bro. It was an honor to share the stage with you on that day in Florida. Here's to bigger and better things bro!

BTW, great answers to the thread questions!

vboissiere
12-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Here is a picture of Brian that I used as motivation all year.

This is him 1 week out...does he look like he needs to rely on any peak week strategy or just show up and fill out...this picture still gets me motivated.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/whit1317/RD1week.jpg

simply incredible!!! I'm putting a copy of this up on my fridge when I start dieting.

fltallpaul
12-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Paul...thanks for the kind words brother....Hey, how much posing did you practice for the show?

No need to Thank me Troy but you are welcome. Posing practice for me was a daily occurence. I did my mandatories every day atleast 2 or 3 times. The last few weeks I actually would have Misty call out the poses and have me hold them for up to 30 seconds each. I also sent pictures of each pose to Layne for critique. The last thing I did was hire NGA and IFPA Figure Pro and Judge Nicole Weeks to help me. She owns a studio style gym where she does personal training so I met her there and went through my posing a week before the show. She was very pleased with my posing and actually only tweaked a few things but those things made a difference.

Before the OCB show in Dekalb I had Tommy and Layne both take a look at my posing and they both noticed I wasn't squeezing my glutes correctly so they brought out something new.

I have found that as I get leaner and leaner toward the show my posing changes a bit so its important to keep posing, I also posed my back year round because it was such a tough thing for me to grasp, my lats like to stay hidden but when I pose them right they actually look pretty decent.

Paul, congrats on the thread! You deserve it bro. It was an honor to share the stage with you on that day in Florida. Here's to bigger and better things bro!

BTW, great answers to the thread questions!

Thanks Kyle, Alex contacted me and I was very excited...its great to see my name by yours, Troy's and JRod's. I plan on updating this with videos and pictures to keep it interesting. It was great to see you as well and hopefully one day we can just hang. I am seriously considering the Arnold again...more just to see all my friends in the industry.

simply incredible!!! I'm putting a copy of this up on my fridge when I start dieting.

I have that picture on my phone, my goal was to stop dieting when I got that lean...never made it but I got damn close. When people ask how long do you need to diet for I show them this picture and say you can stop when you get this lean. Not many people want to diet for 20+ weeks, but that's what it takes to keep muscle while shedding fat.

nutratroy
12-04-2009, 12:25 PM
When is Misty's show? Couple that trains together, stays together!...lol

fltallpaul
12-04-2009, 12:38 PM
When is Misty's show? Couple that trains together, stays together!...lol

Misty did her first show this year in October. It was a big NPC show called the Hurricane Bay in Tampa. Layne did her diet and we trained together. She had only been lifting for a short time but had a background as a D1 cross country runner. She looked amazing but didn't place as the girls in her class, about 16, seemed to carry more muscle. All the girls who placed had thickness in thier backs and legs, shoulders as well. This has motivated Misty to really hit the gym hard and put on some muscle. Seeing Krissy in person blew her away as well.

I am not sure when she will compete again, if I had to guess late 2009 or early 2010. She may also do bikini for fun before doing figure again. She was one of the leanest girls on stage so that won't be an issue for her, she just needs the muscle.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Hurricane%20bay%202009/IMG_4535_edited-1.jpg

AVBG
12-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Misty looks amazing Paul. You must be very proud.

fltallpaul
12-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Misty looks amazing Paul. You must be very proud.

Without a doubt. Misty is my first girlfriend who has ever really understood my passion for bodybuilding. I used to date the typical "trophy girls" who asked me why I go to the gym when I am already in good shape. Having her by my side this last year made all the difference. She got hooked and now helps with food prep, gym, cardio...color and posing she loves it all. I am sure she has a bright future and will contend for some overalls in the future...she has a nice structure and loves the gym and kitchen, her favorite exercise is squats and I love watching when she puts 155 on it and does reps to the floor, the faces of the kids around her is hilarious.

I am very proud of her and very lucky. Here is a nice picture of both of us from her show.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Hurricane%20bay%202009/photo7.jpg

nutratroy
12-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Dude...I got to get that shirt! LMAO.

She has amazing structure! Hey When Chinster started, she was 100 pounds in 2003! I use to cal her "Skeltor in heels...LOL" true story-Krissy competed at the O this year on stage at 127lbs. She is 5'4. So if Krissy can do, Misty can! trust me;) I now recall you telling us that did Tim's show. She is beautiful and your a lucky guy brother!

What do you think is your weakest kink (if any..lol) that your focused onfor your pro debut?

Actually, whats your overall thoughts from the pro men's show (ur opinion...like how analytical your responses are)

thymwndd
12-06-2009, 01:52 AM
I accept with information: Protein Sources: Chicken, Tilapia, Eggs, Tuna, Whey, Turkey
Carb Sources: Sweet Potato, White Potato, Fiber One Bars, Granola, Oat Meal, Baked Lays, Fat Free Pop Corn

Supplements:
Whey
Xtend
Taux calculette pret immobilier | (http://calculettepretimmobilier.com/)Calcul emprunt pret immo | (http://calculettepretimmobilier.com/)Taux interet calculette credit immobilier (http://calculettepretimmobilier.com/)

flaccid_member
12-06-2009, 03:21 AM
Paul, welcome to the Rx boards. Congrats on your NGA pro card. Question for the longer-limbed/tall guys: because of our muscle bellies, it's tough for a taller person that is a true ecto/meso to get that "thickness" that a shorter athlete might possess. Give us an example of some of your routines. Thanks, and see you on stage soon!

rockhard
12-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Paul, What strategy do you employ in the offseason with your nutrition? Macros,refeeds, cheats? Supplementation? How much/what type of cardio? You have built a very impressive physique and will be a force on the pro stage.

Thanks

tornquad2
12-06-2009, 11:31 AM
how much cardio did you do and a example of it !!!

Justin-27
12-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Ya big Paul in da House!
I post in your log on bb.com a bit.
Again, awesome work this year big guy!

fltallpaul
12-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Dude...I got to get that shirt! LMAO.

She has amazing structure! Hey When Chinster started, she was 100 pounds in 2003! I use to cal her "Skeltor in heels...LOL" true story-Krissy competed at the O this year on stage at 127lbs. She is 5'4. So if Krissy can do, Misty can! trust me;) I now recall you telling us that did Tim's show. She is beautiful and your a lucky guy brother!

What do you think is your weakest kink (if any..lol) that your focused onfor your pro debut?

Actually, whats your overall thoughts from the pro men's show (ur opinion...like how analytical your responses are)

That is great to hear I hope Misty can put on a few lbs of muscle and use her natural structure to her advantage. Thank you.

My weakest link is just my overall thickness. My legs are not huge but they get really seperated so that helps make them a strength. I plan to put alot of size on my legs, hams in particular so they are just plain nasty on stage. I really think my back came along way in the time I focused on it so again that is going to be one thing I bring up more. To me the most improtant poses are the front relaxed, which I need more lat width for, quad sweep as well as shoulder mass. Overall the big picture is to just put 10lbs of solid muscle on and get on stage thicker and more ripped up than last time.

My thoughts on the pro mens' show is that to win you have to bring everything. Being lean seperated that top 7 from everyone else. I believe the guy who got second was the best bodybuilder at the show that day. David Lovelace looked great but he was not as lean and crazy looking as the second place guy. I will have to dig up some pictures when I can to show you. I am sure you noticed as well.

In my opinion though to have a shot at top 3 I will need more muscle, split hams and glute striations. In fact anyone will need that, and next year Tommy Jeffers and Layne are planning on competing so you know those two guys are going to be in the top 5.

Paul, welcome to the Rx boards. Congrats on your NGA pro card. Question for the longer-limbed/tall guys: because of our muscle bellies, it's tough for a taller person that is a true ecto/meso to get that "thickness" that a shorter athlete might possess. Give us an example of some of your routines. Thanks, and see you on stage soon!

I believe you are correct that it is tougher but what you have to realize is that true Ecto's have smaller joints, waists and generally higher metabolism. Once an Ecto learns to eat and put on some muscle it looks just nasty. Compare that to a true Endo who is thicker and stronger but has a harder time getting striated glutes and hams and will often have a larger waist. Perhaps it is just because I am closer to Ecto but my favorite bodybuilders are just those guys with tiny joints and crazy shredded contest physques like Brian Whitacre, Clement Yearwood, and old school guys like Zane, Robby Robinson, and Serge Nubret.

My routines focus on getting stronger and using rep ranges in the 5-8 area. I will use higher rep ranges but not that often. I find that by progressing my numbers and getting stronger I am able to do hypetrophy work with bigger weights. My favorite lifts to build mass for each muscle group would be.

Chest - Incline Bench
Shoulders - Military Barbell
Back - Weighted Pullups
Lower Back - Deadlifts
Biceps - Seated Incline DB Curls
Triceps - Skull Crushers
Traps - Smith Machine Shrugs
Quads - Hack Squat
Hams - Stiff Legged Deadlifts
Calves - Standing or Donkey

Paul, What strategy do you employ in the offseason with your nutrition? Macros,refeeds, cheats? Supplementation? How much/what type of cardio? You have built a very impressive physique and will be a force on the pro stage.

Thanks

Off season I have started to reverse my diet but with a bit more loose eating on the weekends. I typically bring my food to work with me, eat at home and know exactly my macros mon-fri. On the weekends I will eat out but always know that I am getting a solid meal of 40\40\20. My current Macros are
260p/300c/70f
Supplements are
EFA's
BCAA's
Creatine
Whey
Multi Vitamin
Glucosamine
Pre Workout NO

I am pretty simple with supplements, I have found food and the gym is where most of the results come from. Still supplements are very necessary once the first two are in place.

how much cardio did you do and a example of it !!!

Off season cardio I do 3-4 20 minute sessions on the bike. I will also run around with my dog or play sports. I am very active in nature.

Contest cardio I was doing 2 30 minutes sessions and 2 HIIT sessions a week.

Ya big Paul in da House!
I post in your log on bb.com a bit.
Again, awesome work this year big guy!

Hey good to see you over here, this forum is becoming a favorite of mine. Glad to see you here too!

DAVIDHARDY
12-08-2009, 10:07 AM
That is great to hear I hope Misty can put on a few lbs of muscle and use her natural structure to her advantage. Thank you.

My weakest link is just my overall thickness. My legs are not huge but they get really seperated so that helps make them a strength. I plan to put alot of size on my legs, hams in particular so they are just plain nasty on stage. I really think my back came along way in the time I focused on it so again that is going to be one thing I bring up more. To me the most improtant poses are the front relaxed, which I need more lat width for, quad sweep as well as shoulder mass. Overall the big picture is to just put 10lbs of solid muscle on and get on stage thicker and more ripped up than last time.

My thoughts on the pro mens' show is that to win you have to bring everything. Being lean seperated that top 7 from everyone else. I believe the guy who got second was the best bodybuilder at the show that day. David Lovelace looked great but he was not as lean and crazy looking as the second place guy. I will have to dig up some pictures when I can to show you. I am sure you noticed as well.

In my opinion though to have a shot at top 3 I will need more muscle, split hams and glute striations. In fact anyone will need that, and next year Tommy Jeffers and Layne are planning on competing so you know those two guys are going to be in the top 5.

I believe you are correct that it is tougher but what you have to realize is that true Ecto's have smaller joints, waists and generally higher metabolism. Once an Ecto learns to eat and put on some muscle it looks just nasty. Compare that to a true Endo who is thicker and stronger but has a harder time getting striated glutes and hams and will often have a larger waist. Perhaps it is just because I am closer to Ecto but my favorite bodybuilders are just those guys with tiny joints and crazy shredded contest physques like Brian Whitacre, Clement Yearwood, and old school guys like Zane, Robby Robinson, and Serge Nubret.

My routines focus on getting stronger and using rep ranges in the 5-8 area. I will use higher rep ranges but not that often. I find that by progressing my numbers and getting stronger I am able to do hypetrophy work with bigger weights. My favorite lifts to build mass for each muscle group would be.

Chest - Incline Bench
Shoulders - Military Barbell
Back - Weighted Pullups
Lower Back - Deadlifts
Biceps - Seated Incline DB Curls
Triceps - Skull Crushers
Traps - Smith Machine Shrugs
Quads - Hack Squat
Hams - Stiff Legged Deadlifts
Calves - Standing or Donkey

Off season I have started to reverse my diet but with a bit more loose eating on the weekends. I typically bring my food to work with me, eat at home and know exactly my macros mon-fri. On the weekends I will eat out but always know that I am getting a solid meal of 40\40\20. My current Macros are
260p/300c/70f
Supplements are
EFA's
BCAA's
Creatine
Whey
Multi Vitamin
Glucosamine
Pre Workout NO

I am pretty simple with supplements, I have found food and the gym is where most of the results come from. Still supplements are very necessary once the first two are in place.

Off season cardio I do 3-4 20 minute sessions on the bike. I will also run around with my dog or play sports. I am very active in nature.

Contest cardio I was doing 2 30 minutes sessions and 2 HIIT sessions a week.

Hey good to see you over here, this forum is becoming a favorite of mine. Glad to see you here too!

I agree with you about the 2nd place guy. His name was Rob Thomas and he was absolutely peeled and big! He looked like a damn anatomy chart up there and to not be awarded was a shame!

fitcorps
12-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Bro, congrats on the thread! It's awesome to see you get a thread. So many great answers and amazing information so far as well. I fell behind and need to go back and re-read everything when I have more than a few minutes.

Hey, no luck on getting ahold of Alex yet. Don't know why. I'll keep trying. I don't have any pics of you from the U either...sorry. Did you get any of the Pro's? Just wondering.

Keep it up bro and enjoy a little food, I'm in the same boat right now!

fltallpaul
12-09-2009, 07:54 AM
I agree with you about the 2nd place guy. His name was Rob Thomas and he was absolutely peeled and big! He looked like a damn anatomy chart up there and to not be awarded was a shame!

Yeah Rob Thomas, atleast he is making money with music if he isn't taking Overall Pro Titles. I am not sure how he didn't win but I am no judge. Perhaps he was missing something but from the audience it seemed like he was on another level from the rest of the Pro's that day. I will have some pictues of him before too long.

Bro, congrats on the thread! It's awesome to see you get a thread. So many great answers and amazing information so far as well. I fell behind and need to go back and re-read everything when I have more than a few minutes.

Hey, no luck on getting ahold of Alex yet. Don't know why. I'll keep trying. I don't have any pics of you from the U either...sorry. Did you get any of the Pro's? Just wondering.

Keep it up bro and enjoy a little food, I'm in the same boat right now!

Thanks Kyle...I really love this sport so anything I can do to promote or help or even just remove some mystery I am very happy. I only wish boards like this were around when I was young and looking for answers in the pages of the magazines....30 sets for chest and 500g protein...hmmm how come I was only getting fatter?

I saw the pictures from our show online. The link is available at axisdzn.com. I will have the pictures my friend took on Thursday and I know I will have some good shots of the Pro's I will send them your way.

I am enjoying the food but just trying to slowly add back the size and strength. It's working so far and I am really enjoying the gym. I will post some videos soon.

fltallpaul
12-09-2009, 08:54 AM
I got some professional shots done during my last show and I got them back yesterday. I will post up a new picture everday this week.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/StudioMM.jpg

buffdaddy
12-09-2009, 12:01 PM
She came from a background kinda like mine. It is so hard goign from trying to stay lean and not gaining muscle to working so hard to build mass

tony63
12-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Protein Sources: Chicken, Tilapia, Eggs, Tuna, Whey, Turkey

Supplements:
Whey
Xtend
VasoCharge
Dialene 4x
Cell Tech
Fish Oil
Sessamin

Here is a typical day of cooking at my house. My girl helps alot and she is also getting into competing so she has taken to this sport like a duck to water. It really helps that we both eat alot of the same foods and help each other cook.

My typical daily diet would look like this during contest prep. I eat more off season so I would add a meal or two depending on needs.

7am: 40c\50p\10f
11am: 30c\40p\10f
3pm: 20c\40p\10f
6pm: 55c\60p\5f pre workout
9pm: 55c\50p\5f post workout
10pm: 20c\30p\10f

This would be my strategy if I was on 220 carbs which was the last few weeks.

Awesome- Do you bake/broil your fish and chicken?

fltallpaul
12-09-2009, 01:35 PM
She came from a background kinda like mine. It is so hard goign from trying to stay lean and not gaining muscle to working so hard to build mass

Yeah it is not easy to change your mind set but once you do it becomes a routine.

Awesome- Do you bake/broil your fish and chicken?

I bake it and make it very easy to clean up. I place a piece of aluminum foil on the cookie sheet. Spray it with non fat, 0 calorie cooking spray. I then place the fish on top and cook at 400 for 12-15 minutes. When I am done I take the fish and place into tupperware, then throw the foil away and that's it. 20 minutes later you have fish for a few days and no mess.

tony63
12-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Yeah it is not easy to change your mind set but once you do it becomes a routine.

I bake it and make it very easy to clean up. I place a piece of aluminum foil on the cookie sheet. Spray it with non fat, 0 calorie cooking spray. I then place the fish on top and cook at 400 for 12-15 minutes. When I am done I take the fish and place into tupperware, then throw the foil away and that's it. 20 minutes later you have fish for a few days and no mess.

Do you just nuke the fish when you are ready to eat it?

fltallpaul
12-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Do you just nuke the fish when you are ready to eat it?

Yeah one good thing about fish is it reheats really well. Chicken can get chewy but fish reheats and stay flaky in the microwave. This is also true of potatoes, I bake a bunch and just nuke em for a few and it works great.

tony63
12-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Yeah one good thing about fish is it reheats really well. Chicken can get chewy but fish reheats and stay flaky in the microwave. This is also true of potatoes, I bake a bunch and just nuke em for a few and it works great.

Awesome- Thank you very much for the info....

tony63
12-09-2009, 01:55 PM
One more question-

Layne guides your nutrition correct?

Does he also outline your workouts as well??

fltallpaul
12-09-2009, 02:10 PM
One more question-

Layne guides your nutrition correct?

Does he also outline your workouts as well??

Layne taught me how to eat with respect to getting enough macronutrients. Layne does not tell anyone what food to eat, his concern is more based on meeting needs for the day, not how those needs are met.

I did purchase the Power\Hypertrophy split from Layne during my first prep and have used it off and on ever since. I strongly believe in varying training to keep things fresh and the body adapting.

flaccid_member
12-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Quite true, Paul. Conditioning will usually put you much higher in the placings. As I am smal-jointed like many on here, It's all the more imperative we practice our posing to show our strengths. Great to see you believe in the compound movements as well! Welcome aboard!

fltallpaul
12-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Quite true, Paul. Conditioning will usually put you much higher in the placings. As I am smal-jointed like many on here, It's all the more imperative we practice our posing to show our strengths. Great to see you believe in the compound movements as well! Welcome aboard!

Posing makes a world of difference. Being comfortable on stage really shows. Yeah I love the good ole heavy compounds. Thanks.

fltallpaul
12-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Simply Shredded.com has interviewed me and posted it on thier web site. Here is the link, very nice guys.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/paul-revelia.html

DAVIDHARDY
12-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah Rob Thomas, atleast he is making money with music if he isn't taking Overall Pro Titles. I am not sure how he didn't win but I am no judge. Perhaps he was missing something but from the audience it seemed like he was on another level from the rest of the Pro's that day. I will have some pictues of him before too long.

Thanks Kyle...I really love this sport so anything I can do to promote or help or even just remove some mystery I am very happy. I only wish boards like this were around when I was young and looking for answers in the pages of the magazines....30 sets for chest and 500g protein...hmmm how come I was only getting fatter?

I saw the pictures from our show online. The link is available at axisdzn.com. I will have the pictures my friend took on Thursday and I know I will have some good shots of the Pro's I will send them your way.

I am enjoying the food but just trying to slowly add back the size and strength. It's working so far and I am really enjoying the gym. I will post some videos soon.

You fucker! I actually looked that up lol.

fltallpaul
12-14-2009, 09:57 AM
You fucker! I actually looked that up lol.

Well then I am sure you found he is quite the musician...lol.

fltallpaul
12-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Here is another studio shot I really like. I can't emphasize how much I recommnend getting pictures taken on the day of or near your contest. All the work that goes into getting into contest condition should really be captured as best as possible and stage pictures never turn out as good as we want.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/studioSC.jpg

rockhard
12-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Paul, Could you detail your pre, intra, and post workout nutrition plan, both pre-contest and off season? Timing, macros, supps, etc. Thanks for the great info you are putting out, very informative.

DAVIDHARDY
12-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Are you going to do the NGA pro show in Atlanta on the 5th of June? It's also an amateur show and I was thinking about either doing that one or the Night of Champions in NC; they are both on the same day...don't you hate it when they do that!

fltallpaul
12-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Paul, Could you detail your pre, intra, and post workout nutrition plan, both pre-contest and off season? Timing, macros, supps, etc. Thanks for the great info you are putting out, very informative.

Sure not a problem. I think mine is pretty in line with the current thinking of most programs. I have noticed a great deal of improvement in strength and recovery with my current system. I don't change much pre contest of off season. The only thing that changes would be the amount of carbs taken in. I do focus on getting a large amount of carbs pre and post workout. Here is my typical routine.

6pm Pre Workout Meal 50p/80c/10f I often use eggs or fish for this meal as it digests easily for me. For carbs I use a potato source of either sweet, baked lays or plain potatoe. I will also use a carb with some sugar to get it into my blood faster. This can be Granola Bars, Pop Tarts, Gatorade or anything I am in the mood for.

6:45 Pre Workout DrinkI currently use Vasocharge. Here are some ingredients of Vasocharge. I also include BCAA's into the pre workout drink.
Creatine + Citrulline Malate
- Synergistically increases performance.
Creatine + Beta-Alanine
- Synergistically increases performance and lean mass gains.
Citrulline Malate + Arginine
- Increases blood flow and amino acid deliver to skeletal muscle, leading to increased protein synthesis (muscle growth).
Tyrosine + ALCAR + Caffeine
- Increases energy and mental focus while delaying fatigue, allowing you to workout harder and longer.
Intra workout approximately 8pm
6 scoops of Xtend with Gatorade. Xtend is my BCAA supplement of choice and the Gatorade just acts as a simple carbohydrate to keep catabolism to a minimum. Xtend consists of the proven 2:1:1 ratio of Branched Chain Amino Acids (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine and L-Valine), Glutamine, Citrulline Malate, and Vitamin B6. I also drink this throughout the day between meals.

Post Workout approximately 9pm
50 grams of protein from Whey for fast absorption, 80 grams of carbs from oats, 5 grams of creatine. I usually bring two packets of Instant Quaker Oats which are around 40 carbs per package and throw those into my shaker with the whey. I fill with water and chug it down as I walk to my car. When I get home I then have another scoop of Xtend while I relax. My last meal of the night is usually higher in protein and fat, depending on where I am for my daily numbers.

I hope this paints a pretty clear picture, I keep it pretty simple.

fltallpaul
12-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Are you going to do the NGA pro show in Atlanta on the 5th of June? It's also an amateur show and I was thinking about either doing that one or the Night of Champions in NC; they are both on the same day...don't you hate it when they do that!

I don't plan on competing until 2011. Unless I am able to pack on some serious size in the next few months. I realize at my age and experience its going to take me some time to put on thickness. I have never been as motivated or knowledable as I am right now so I am going to take the next year plus to have a productive off season before a pro debut. This way I can also get on an NPC stage as well.

I spent a lot of time with Layne Norton and Tommy Jeffers recently and it really showed me what taking time off can do. Those guys have added so much size in the last few years away from the stage.

Contest dieting no matter how perfect you do it does decrease some muscle mass. The post contest rebound can take a few months to get back to full strength. I dieted for 25 weeks this year so for me to do a show in 2010 I would have only 6 months of non contest dieting and that is not enough for me to effectively add muscle. Once I have more established muscle I may compete for than once every two years but for now my plan is to get thicker and stronger...then compete in a few shows at the end of 2011 as a new bodybuilder!

fltallpaul
12-15-2009, 12:57 PM
These two pictures are different cameras but the on the left I was a few days out from a show in June 08, The second is a few days out from a show in November 09. Imagine what I can do with a full 18 months before I have to diet again.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/STRI-3.jpg http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/workout/stri110409.jpg

I took 18 months off in between shows and made some pretty good improvements overall. I also learned alot more about nutrition. I plan on using this to make sure i make another leap forward going into my first Pro Show and whatever else I decide to enter.

jscan1
12-15-2009, 06:16 PM
not sure if you've already answered this but what do you use for your on stage tanning/color?

rockhard
12-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Sure not a problem. I think mine is pretty in line with the current thinking of most programs. I have noticed a great deal of improvement in strength and recovery with my current system. I don't change much pre contest of off season. The only thing that changes would be the amount of carbs taken in. I do focus on getting a large amount of carbs pre and post workout. Here is my typical routine.

6pm Pre Workout Meal 50p/80c/10f I often use eggs or fish for this meal as it digests easily for me. For carbs I use a potato source of either sweet, baked lays or plain potatoe. I will also use a carb with some sugar to get it into my blood faster. This can be Granola Bars, Pop Tarts, Gatorade or anything I am in the mood for.

6:45 Pre Workout DrinkI currently use Vasocharge. Here are some ingredients of Vasocharge. I also include BCAA's into the pre workout drink.
Creatine + Beta-Alanine
- Increases blood flow and amino acid deliver to skeletal muscle, leading to increased protein synthesis (muscle growth).
- Increases energy and mental focus while delaying fatigue, allowing you to workout harder and longer.
6 scoops of Xtend with Gatorade. Xtend is my BCAA supplement of choice and the Gatorade just acts as a simple carbohydrate to keep catabolism to a minimum. Xtend consists of the proven 2:1:1 ratio of Branched Chain Amino Acids (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine and L-Valine), Glutamine, Citrulline Malate, and Vitamin B6. I also drink this throughout the day between meals.

50 grams of protein from Whey for fast absorption, 80 grams of carbs from oats, 5 grams of creatine. I usually bring two packets of Instant Quaker Oats which are around 40 carbs per package and throw those into my shaker with the whey. I fill with water and chug it down as I walk to my car. When I get home I then have another scoop of Xtend while I relax. My last meal of the night is usually higher in protein and fat, depending on where I am for my daily numbers.

Thanks for the detail and taking the time to respond, this is quickly turning into the best natty thread going! Have a great Holiday.

fltallpaul
12-16-2009, 08:28 AM
not sure if you've already answered this but what do you use for your on stage tanning/color?

My first few shows I used Pro Tan. I started applying it Thursday night and kept putting coats on until I didn't get any darker. I also did some tanning bed work to remove my tan lines. I used the Pro Tan stage finish on top and got pretty dark.

For my last show I was able to use Dream Tan. I used the Red Bronze and I have never recieved so many compliments on my color. I had several people tell me I had the best color at the show which was pretty cool. HEre is the method I used to apply it.

Saturday morning 6am. First application. Cover the entire body by spreading and smacking the color into the pores.

Before stage, apply another coat but add a teaspoon of baby oil to the Dream Tan bottle and apply evenly while smacking again. This will provide the sheen for stage as well as optimal color.

Once the show is over, grab a loofa from the drug store and rub baby oil over the entire body. 99% of the Dream Tan comes off at that moment. The morning after the show you couldn't even tell I had competed...which if you have used Pro Tan you know it takes weeks for it to completely disapear. Pro Tan will be used whenever it is allowed from now on!

Here is a picture at breakfast after my last show with Dream Tan. In one day I put it on and took it off, very cool and takes alot of the stress away with having to worry about the Pro Tan for a few days.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/P1110752.jpg

fltallpaul
12-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the detail and taking the time to respond, this is quickly turning into the best natty thread going! Have a great Holiday.

I appreciate the kind words. I am just trying to do my part and perhaps help some others reach thier goals.

fltallpaul
12-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I recently starting squatting again but with a lower bar placement on my back. I have found this is really helping me get full depth while not bothering my back. My structure has always been tough to deal with so squats have always been either light or smith machine. I feel with my current form I will be able to get much heavier going forward. I shot a video to document.

s3O86elAUFU

ConLaV
12-17-2009, 12:03 PM

X2, Paul is the man... it's great to see your thread on here!

Seeing that we are both 6'3'' and have similar structures, I feel the same way with back squats. However I feel like I was made for front squats... how do you feel about them?

tony63
12-17-2009, 12:49 PM

Creatine + Beta-Alanine

These two pictures are different cameras but the on the left I was a few days out from a show in June 08, The second is a few days out from a show in November 09. Imagine what I can do with a full 18 months before I have to diet again.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/STRI-3.jpg http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/workout/stri110409.jpg

I took 18 months off in between shows and made some pretty good improvements overall. I also learned alot more about nutrition. I plan on using this to make sure i make another leap forward going into my first Pro Show and whatever else I decide to enter.

Knowledge is a gift- so thank you for sharing some of your nutritional insights.
You definitely made some improvements. Damn fine job. You not only added size, but have a harder-leaner look.

fltallpaul
12-17-2009, 03:54 PM
X2, Paul is the man... it's great to see your thread on here!

Seeing that we are both 6'3'' and have similar structures, I feel the same way with back squats. However I feel like I was made for front squats... how do you feel about them?

actually they feel very natural...they only tend to bother my shoulders and collar bone once I get strong. I got to a point where I was using 275 for full deep sets of 10 and started to ache. I may give them a shot when my core is stronger down the road. For now I want to learn the back squat.

There are so many exercises I don't feel like I have time to include them all.

fltallpaul
12-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Knowledge is a gift- so thank you for sharing some of your nutritional insights.
You definitely made some improvements. Damn fine job. You not only added size, but have a harder-leaner look.

Yes I was definitley leaner which is more apparent in my pictures from behind...I was showing hamstrings and glutes this year which I did not have the first go round...I still believe I can get leaner and have a more efficient prep. I still look at Doug Miller and Brian Whitacre and see myself at that level of leanness...we shall see if I can make it reality.

Thank you.

fltallpaul
12-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Couple recent videos in the gym. I am happy to be back to this level one month post contest...excited what the coming months will bring.

Incline DB Press 125x6
dOpqQjE80LU

Deadlift 375x6
BQYFqHkv4T4

Pullups BW(224)+20x6
7g0hPPiN9mA

Hack Squat 410x6
atOfCpBoAnc

bhman6
12-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Paul I'm loving this thread so far

I especially like the hack squat video between the 0:01-0:05 mark....not so much after that. not sure why :)

nutratroy
12-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Paul...wishing you the absolute best brother! Krissy and Myself.

fltallpaul
12-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Paul I'm loving this thread so far

I especially like the hack squat video between the 0:01-0:05 mark....not so much after that. not sure why :)

thanks and i will make sure Misty makes more guest appearances going forward...lol.

Paul...wishing you the absolute best brother! Krissy and Myself.

Thanks Troy I really appreciate it. I am hoping to come see Krissy kill it at the Arnold.

nutratroy
12-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Well, were knee deep in prep now. We just got home. We moved to san bernadino and drove all of the house stuff we don't need to KS. So she had only cardio for a week..LOL

Question: What's your take on chocolate during the offseason and do you like whoppers as much as I do...?;)

ygbodybuilder10
12-30-2009, 05:35 AM

omg that talipa looks so good

fltallpaul
01-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Well, were knee deep in prep now. We just got home. We moved to san bernadino and drove all of the house stuff we don't need to KS. So she had only cardio for a week..LOL

Question: What's your take on chocolate during the offseason and do you like whoppers as much as I do...?;)

I have been to San Bernadino a few years back for holiday's. Nice place but all I remember were the Santa Anna Winds coming through and wreaking havoc. It was insane, knocked over Semi's and fences all over.

I eat alot of chocolate covered almonds. I tell myself the healthy fats balance the sugar, lol.

omg that talipa looks so good

I just bought some Tilapia this weekend that is covered in bread crumbs and it is delicious.

fltallpaul
01-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I set a new Personal Record on the Deadlift this weekend. I have been deadlifting for three years now and I still making progress. My goals before contest prep are to hit 400lb bench, 500lb deadlift and a 400lb squat. Here is a video of my 435lb deadlift on Saturday.

uxQCG8fOzM4

AVBG
01-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Great lifting man! I see some inluence from Layne with how you construct your diet and training, very meticulous. I am sure learning from your thread.

garry engle
01-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Great lift! Much harder for u tall guys.

fltallpaul
01-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Great lifting man! I see some inluence from Layne with how you construct your diet and training, very meticulous. I am sure learning from your thread.

Layne has been a huge influence on me over the last few years. Everything he does is well thought out and fits into what he believes. I like that he doesn't blindly do things just because that's how they have been done for years. His research is going to change the way alot of people think about protein use in the future...

Never mind the fact that he is setting Raw Power lifting records and is a Natural Pro...

Great lift! Much harder for u tall guys.

I really enjoy the deadlift...I wish I felt the same way about the squat. I am currently doing all I can to get myself better at squatting which I feel will help my deadlifting as well.

fltallpaul
01-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Begiinning on Monday I am going to start using a new training method. I have always been interested in how Dorian trained for one max set per exercise. With that in mind I found a workout designed by Derek and Marc from Scivation. Here is the document which details the program.

http://scivation.com/teamscivation/articles/AGS-10_Marc.pdf

DAVIDHARDY
01-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Have you always deadlifted like that? Starting from the rack and walking it back? I like to just pick it up off the floor myself. Seems like you're using a lot of energy up by walking it back and forth.

fltallpaul
01-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Have you always deadlifted like that? Starting from the rack and walking it back? I like to just pick it up off the floor myself. Seems like you're using a lot of energy up by walking it back and forth.

Heavy sets I do from the floor. The issue is my workout partners use considerably less weight and loading while on the floor is a pain without the Jack, and LA Fitness doens't have a deadlift Jack.

I have noticed it takes a lot to lower the weight and pull it again. My PR deadlift is from the floor.

DAVIDHARDY
01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Heavy sets I do from the floor. The issue is my workout partners use considerably less weight and loading while on the floor is a pain without the Jack, and LA Fitness doens't have a deadlift Jack.

I have noticed it takes a lot to lower the weight and pull it again. My PR deadlift is from the floor.

Yeah loading that shit does suck balls. It must really suck when y'all do legs. At least someone is getting some extra cardio in unloading all of the plates from the leg press lol.

Do you feel like you get a better workout when you start from the top like that?

fltallpaul
01-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah loading that shit does suck balls. It must really suck when y'all do legs. At least someone is getting some extra cardio in unloading all of the plates from the leg press lol.

Do you feel like you get a better workout when you start from the top like that?

When we do leg press I usually do two sets in a row or we try to use two machines. For whatever reason I am much stronger on leg press than my friends.

I prefer to start from the bottom, starting from the top is just about convenience and never when I am near my 1RM. I did get 405 for 4 on Saturday which is PR for me with that weight....nothing like Doug Miller's 27 reps at 405...but I am closing in each week!

DAVIDHARDY
01-25-2010, 01:27 PM
I do 27 with 405 with one hand tied behind my back, so that ain't shit...yeah, about that...

And thanks for the e-mail.

fltallpaul
02-01-2010, 10:11 AM
I have been working hard on getting my squat depth better. I have never been a strong squatter but I am determined to become one. Here is my latest video from last night. I am going to begin a PL based routine shortly to really improve on these.

R9FKXHhV1r8

DAVIDHARDY
02-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Good depth on those squats man. Question:

I'm trying to get lower on my side poses, but I feel like I'm going to fall over when I try getting down that low. How do you distribute your weight when you get so low on your side poses? Is your forward leg toe more out front or back further?

fltallpaul
02-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Good depth on those squats man. Question:

I'm trying to get lower on my side poses, but I feel like I'm going to fall over when I try getting down that low. How do you distribute your weight when you get so low on your side poses? Is your forward leg toe more out front or back further?

When I hit my side poses I place the front foot in the middle of the back foot. I spike my calf as high as possible. I then press my front and back quads together forcing the hamstring to push down a bit. I also sit down a bit and really squeeze the glute. That's only the lower half. It takes some time but once you get used to it you can really feel everything pop...I think my side poses saved me this year...I was able to look full and thick from the side while being tall.

DAVIDHARDY
02-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Awesome thanks. That's one thing that I have to make myself to this year is practice posing. I might have done it a total of an hour last year. I just hate doing it lol.

fltallpaul
02-16-2010, 10:38 AM
After recently attending a powerlifting competition with Layne Norton I became a bit excited about the idea of competing myself. I am far from strong but really believe that competition brings out the best in me. I don't plan on getting back on a bodybuilding stage until 2011 so competing in a PL meet will really put the fire in me. I have chosen a competition in Orlando later this year. This is a RAW United event.

I have been researching and chosen to use the Westside Barbell methodology which is derived from Russian Strength Programs. The basic idea is a speed day followed by a Max day. There is much more to it than that but I am still learning.

Obviously powerlifting and bodybuiding are both built around muscle. I feel my weaknesses on stage will only be enhanced by thickening my pecs, legs, and back. I am going to be using a program given to me by Layne over the next several months and working with some local Power Lifters on learning technique and adding some strength. My weakest lift will be the squat. I have never been comfortable with a free weight squat and usually focused on hacks, smith or other methods to build my legs. Oddly my legs are a strength on the bodybuilding stage, hopefully adding size and strength will result on some positive changes.

I am not sure what to expect but I am meeting with a local Power Lifter tonight. I will post some videos and keep everyone up to date with my lifts and post update pictures as well. This should be an interesting change. I already feel the excitement within myself that I used to feel when I found a new bodybuilding routine.

AVBG
02-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Cool days ahead man!

NATURAL-1987
02-17-2010, 12:18 AM
I think that throwing powerlifting into a bodybuilders program can ony help in the long run. Contemplating doing some next off-season myself. We will see what happens.

DAVIDHARDY
02-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Yeah good move on the pl. I was thinking about taking next year off and doin a meet but the bench press scares the hell out of me. I don't want to tear a pec like so many have done before.

fltallpaul
02-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Cool days ahead man!

Yes it is a bit exciting to start something new.

I think that throwing powerlifting into a bodybuilders program can ony help in the long run. Contemplating doing some next off-season myself. We will see what happens.

I agree. I am using some close friends as examples of changes they made to thier physiques doing power lifting. A lot more heavy weight, a lot more rest.

Yeah good move on the pl. I was thinking about taking next year off and doin a meet but the bench press scares the hell out of me. I don't want to tear a pec like so many have done before.

I have been benching since I was 16 and have come a long way with my form. I now use a very PL type of movement. I plant my toes and arch my back. I drive with a narrow grip from the bottom of my chest. This has allowed me to really get my entire body involved in the lift and take alot of stress off the pec tie in area. I used to bench with elbows out wide and never got hurt so I count myself lucky.

Don't let fear keep you from doing something you might enjoy, train smart and you will be fine.

Last night was my first experience training with a professional Power Lifter. My squat form was not terrrible but I still had a few problems. After correcting me I felt alot more confident but thinking and lifting are difficult. I will be focusing on getting my form perfect in the next few weeks and then hopefully the numbers will climb.

Lessons I learned last night.

1. Start the squat by holding the bar firmly across your traps, pull on the bar with your hands as if trying to wrap it around you.

2. Look up at the ceiling the entire time your squatting, this keeps you from going forward.

3. Take a deep breath and hold the air in against your belt, this prevents going forward at the bottom of the lift.

4. Start the movement portion by throwing the butt back, then lowering the weight.

5. Don't blow air out at the bottom, wait until you are above parallel to keep tension on the belt.

6. HOLY CRAP WERE MY QUADS FRIED, lol.

I really enjoyed this session but felt like I had never squatted before. I was literally thinking the entire time. I can't wait until these things become second nature and I can focus on putting weight on the bar. The journey has begun!

MHurricane
02-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Hey, I'm 18 and I have been working out for a year. I am an ectomorph, also, I am 6'1. Currently, I am 170 lbs and around 8% BF. I have two questions: What does your BF peak at in the off-season (if you don't powerlift). Also, could you give me some tips on increasing my weight (as it has stagnated). Thanks... oh, yeah. I was born in Florida, too. I live in Canada now, though.

Yes it is a bit exciting to start something new.

I agree. I am using some close friends as examples of changes they made to thier physiques doing power lifting. A lot more heavy weight, a lot more rest.

I have been benching since I was 16 and have come a long way with my form. I now use a very PL type of movement. I plant my toes and arch my back. I drive with a narrow grip from the bottom of my chest. This has allowed me to really get my entire body involved in the lift and take alot of stress off the pec tie in area. I used to bench with elbows out wide and never got hurt so I count myself lucky.

Don't let fear keep you from doing something you might enjoy, train smart and you will be fine.

Last night was my first experience training with a professional Power Lifter. My squat form was not terrrible but I still had a few problems. After correcting me I felt alot more confident but thinking and lifting are difficult. I will be focusing on getting my form perfect in the next few weeks and then hopefully the numbers will climb.

Lessons I learned last night.

1. Start the squat by holding the bar firmly across your traps, pull on the bar with your hands as if trying to wrap it around you.

2. Look up at the ceiling the entire time your squatting, this keeps you from going forward.

3. Take a deep breath and hold the air in against your belt, this prevents going forward at the bottom of the lift.

4. Start the movement portion by throwing the butt back, then lowering the weight.

5. Don't blow air out at the bottom, wait until you are above parallel to keep tension on the belt.

6. HOLY CRAP WERE MY QUADS FRIED, lol.

I really enjoyed this session but felt like I had never squatted before. I was literally thinking the entire time. I can't wait until these things become second nature and I can focus on putting weight on the bar. The journey has begun!

fltallpaul
02-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Hey, I'm 18 and I have been working out for a year. I am an ectomorph, also, I am 6'1. Currently, I am 170 lbs and around 8% BF. I have two questions: What does your BF peak at in the off-season (if you don't powerlift). Also, could you give me some tips on increasing my weight (as it has stagnated). Thanks... oh, yeah. I was born in Florida, too. I live in Canada now, though.

I have never tested my bodyfat with any method which I would consider valid. I can always see my abs in the off season although I am far from lean. When I was 18 I don't think I ever got over 6-7%...very little fat on my body as I had trouble keeping any weight on. This didn't change until I hit my early 20's and started working in a restraraunt and had food in front of me all the time. I worked out religously but still played alot of basketball, volleyball and any other sport I could get involved in.

To increase your weight you have to learn to lift heavy, constantly making progress with good form...and most of all eat...eat even if you aren't hungry. Every few hours just learn to get some good carbs\protein and fats into your system. Use your strength as a gauge but if you are truly an ecto and 18 its going to be a battle for a while, especially if your active on top of that.

Bottom line everyone has a point at which they gain weight, sometimes its just hard to commit to eating that much.

MHurricane
02-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks, bro. I do lift heavy (4-6 rep range) similar to max-ot principles. However, I do cycle my training. What is your macro-nutrient breakdown?

fltallpaul
02-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks, bro. I do lift heavy (4-6 rep range) similar to max-ot principles. However, I do cycle my training. What is your macro-nutrient breakdown?

Right now my Macro's are around 300p\400c\80f

My focus right now is just improving my lifts. I will say that this is the first time that I have been able to remain vascular and with abs over 230lbs so I am excited about that.

fltallpaul
03-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Here are a few videos from my training last week. I am re learning to squat with the help of some seasoned powerlifters. My numbers are very low but then I have never been very good at squatting. I am going to change that though and become respectable. The second video is of a sissy squat with bands attached. I will record more videos this week of bench, deadlift and some various other things we are doing.

MD1M36737KY

hDa26nkEcMQ[/quote]

AVBG
03-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Looking good Paul

AVBG
03-08-2010, 01:56 PM
My legs are sore after those bands!

kglic1
03-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Paul is the man

fltallpaul
03-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Looking good Paul

My legs are sore after those bands!

They are unique that's for sure, still learning to do them correctly.

Paul is the man

Thanks Kyle, its your time to shine now!

fltallpaul
03-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Video from last night, 90% bench for 4 sets of 4. Hopefully I will be able to get my 107% set at the end of this routine with 375x1...That would be very exciting for me!

Vupxcy_a3MA

axioma
03-09-2010, 09:56 AM
great stuff. you have a link for the bands used on the sissy squat? I will try to retrofit mine to work with bands.

fltallpaul
03-09-2010, 10:03 AM
great stuff. you have a link for the bands used on the sissy squat? I will try to retrofit mine to work with bands.

I will speak to Mike on Wednesday night and find out where he got those. He told me they were from a Powerlifitng company...I asked if they were off a refrigerator box or something...lol.

bhman6
03-09-2010, 02:25 PM
they look like HPL (Human Potential Labs) bands

Jump Stretch make the same thing and they're sold everywhere

fltallpaul
03-12-2010, 12:35 PM
By the way, new MuscleMag cover....if your an Arnold Fan its a must own, tons of great articles!
http://www.thearnoldfans.com/pictures/magazines/arnoldmag.jpg

fltallpaul
03-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Here are a few videos from my Rack Deadlift session on Friday. We alternate between floor pulling and rack pulling each week. The chains weigh 27lbs each when fully extended.

2ZHS_oTPebU

99yhp4-nG_k

rockhard
03-18-2010, 04:48 AM
Paul, What is your protocol for your contest week prep? Training, carbs, H2O, sodium, etc. You came in very hard and dry yet still very. Any info you are willing to share would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

fltallpaul
03-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Paul, What is your protocol for your contest week prep? Training, carbs, H2O, sodium, etc. You came in very hard and dry yet still very. Any info you are willing to share would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't manipulate sodium or water. I keep water over 2 gallons a day until show day then I drink with meals. Carbs are very much dependent on your diet that you used leading up to the show. I loaded my carbs at the beginning of the week and tapered towards contest day. I used the mirror to judge if I needed more carbs or to burn more off. Show day I woke up 6 hours before stage and ate every 2 hours some protein and carbs. 2 hours before stage I had my customary meal which is a hamburger and fries. This allows me to really fill out and become vascular. This is the only time the sodium is in excess for me.

These techniques have worked for me through trial and error but I ams still learning. The most improtant thing to do is have a plan and stick to it so you can adjust each time. Also take note of changes in your body the last few weeks with certain foods and workouts. I hope this helps.

rockhard
03-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks Paul!!!!

Forrest
03-19-2010, 02:48 AM
Awesome stuff Paul, thanks for sharing with the vids.

fltallpaul
03-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Awesome stuff Paul, thanks for sharing with the vids.

Thanks I have been enjoying the feedback from the videos. I will get a squat video up this wednesday. I am getting more comfortable with my form which I believe will translate into finally adding weight to the bar.

Here is a video from last Monday. This is my 4th of 330x3. On this set I was told to wait for each command before the lift. Last night I got all three sets of 330x3, then did 350x1 clean. I am happy my bench seems to be climbing recently.

up9FpsNjMhU

BOHICA762
03-24-2010, 07:42 AM
My first few shows I used Pro Tan. I started applying it Thursday night and kept putting coats on until I didn't get any darker. I also did some tanning bed work to remove my tan lines. I used the Pro Tan stage finish on top and got pretty dark.

For my last show I was able to use Dream Tan. I used the Red Bronze and I have never recieved so many compliments on my color. I had several people tell me I had the best color at the show which was pretty cool. HEre is the method I used to apply it.

Saturday morning 6am. First application. Cover the entire body by spreading and smacking the color into the pores.

Before stage, apply another coat but add a teaspoon of baby oil to the Dream Tan bottle and apply evenly while smacking again. This will provide the sheen for stage as well as optimal color.

Once the show is over, grab a loofa from the drug store and rub baby oil over the entire body. 99% of the Dream Tan comes off at that moment. The morning after the show you couldn't even tell I had competed...which if you have used Pro Tan you know it takes weeks for it to completely disapear. Pro Tan will be used whenever it is allowed from now on!

Here is a picture at breakfast after my last show with Dream Tan. In one day I put it on and took it off, very cool and takes alot of the stress away with having to worry about the Pro Tan for a few days.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/P1110752.jpg

do you use the sponge thing they sell or....??? also do you tan at all before the event or just the dream tan in itself???

fltallpaul
03-24-2010, 08:40 AM
do you use the sponge thing they sell or....??? also do you tan at all before the event or just the dream tan in itself???

I removed the dream tan with the loofas that they sell at Wal Greens or CVS. The kind for lathering soap. I tanned for a month before getting on stage at a tanning salon just to remove all the tan lines I had from years of going to the beach with shorts on. It gave me a nice base to work with but I don't think it is necessary if your evenly white.

BOHICA762
03-24-2010, 01:37 PM
I removed the dream tan with the loofas that they sell at Wal Greens or CVS. The kind for lathering soap. I tanned for a month before getting on stage at a tanning salon just to remove all the tan lines I had from years of going to the beach with shorts on. It gave me a nice base to work with but I don't think it is necessary if your evenly white.
Yep for living in florida i got a nice farmer tan. I wanted to know about the aplicators for when you apply. did you buy their aplicator or did you rig something up. I am married so we have a million of the lofas sitting around. also did you just apply it the day of, or a lil bit everyday. its my first time. thats why all the questions. i just dont want to look like a freak. i have seem some tans that i think are so extreme they take away from all the work the guy or gal put into their bods. thanks again

fltallpaul
03-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Yep for living in florida i got a nice farmer tan. I wanted to know about the aplicators for when you apply. did you buy their aplicator or did you rig something up. I am married so we have a million of the lofas sitting around. also did you just apply it the day of, or a lil bit everyday. its my first time. thats why all the questions. i just dont want to look like a freak. i have seem some tans that i think are so extreme they take away from all the work the guy or gal put into their bods. thanks again

For Dream Tan there is no applicator, you simply put some on your skin and then smack it lightly so it goes into your pores. Here was my process.

Friday Night - before bed apply 1 coat to entire body except face. Apply evenly and let dry for 15 minutes before going to bed. Sleep on black sheets.

Saturday Morning - Wakeup about 5am for my first meal then reapply and DT that needs some touchups. Include face now.

Saturday before pre judging - 10 minutes before I start to pump up for the stage take a dime size amount of baby oil and put directly into the DT container. Mix this around until it become consistent. Apply sparingly as a sheen to entire body. This is all you need, no other sheen products.

BOHICA762
03-27-2010, 01:33 PM
For Dream Tan there is no applicator, you simply put some on your skin and then smack it lightly so it goes into your pores. Here was my process.

Friday Night - before bed apply 1 coat to entire body except face. Apply evenly and let dry for 15 minutes before going to bed. Sleep on black sheets.

Saturday Morning - Wakeup about 5am for my first meal then reapply and DT that needs some touchups. Include face now.

Saturday before pre judging - 10 minutes before I start to pump up for the stage take a dime size amount of baby oil and put directly into the DT container. Mix this around until it become consistent. Apply sparingly as a sheen to entire body. This is all you need, no other sheen products. I will defeintly note the slap lightly part to my wife:no: she will see it as her excuse to put a hurting on me

BOHICA762
03-31-2010, 05:56 PM
are you going to do Universe in so beach in june??? i am going to head down and check it out

fltallpaul
04-08-2010, 09:59 AM
are you going to do Universe in so beach in june??? i am going to head down and check it out

I have never been to that show. If I have time and am inclined to do so I will go there. I often travel south to see my good friends who live there.

BOHICA762
04-12-2010, 07:35 AM
been hitting keto hard and the treadmill. I have dropped from 282 to 247lbs, long road ahead of me but I am planning on Universe next year as my first show. maybe I will do a show sooner, just have to see how my body transforms.

fltallpaul
04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Hope everyone is doing well. I will be attending the 2010 Orlando Eurpopa IFBB Pro Bodybuilding show and expo this weekend. I would love to meet board members and chat bodybuilding or just life. Let me know if your going to be attending.

kglic1
04-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Thank you very much Paul for all the help you gave me over the past 10 weeks, Paul has so much knowledge and is willing to share it. People would be stupid to not take advantage of this thread. Thanks again Paul

fltallpaul
04-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Thank you very much Paul for all the help you gave me over the past 10 weeks, Paul has so much knowledge and is willing to share it. People would be stupid to not take advantage of this thread. Thanks again Paul

Congrats on your success this year on stage. You have a bright future ahead of you. Keep in touch and let's keep this momentum going!

fltallpaul
04-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Europa Show of Champions and Layne Norton weekend
Layne drove over from Tampa on Thursday night with his wife Isabel. We both had schedules off days from the gym so no lifting. His client Ava Cowan called and asked if he would be able to take her to buy some groceries. She was working at the Gaspari booth all weekend and needed supplies. We arrived at the hotel to pick up Ava and realized that Mark had come along as well. Mark is IFBB pro Mark Alvisi, pretty much a mountain of a man and Ava's boyfriend. We were kind of cramped in the car so I had to tell Mark and Ava to get in the back!
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/184d170c.jpg
After dropping them off at the hotel we met up with Marc Lobliner and Rob Moran from Scivation. Layne, Isabel, Marc, Rob and I sat and talked general bodybuilding stuff for a while before Layne got antsy for his next meal...contest prep diva, lol.
Friday morning we woke up early and headed to Gold's gym. SimplyShredded.com had a new video editor who wanted to film Layne and I training but the gym would not allow him in. This was a bummer but we proceded to rock some back and chest. Here is the workout from the best of my recollection.
Rack Chins
bwx10, 25lbsx10, 50lbsx10, 75lbsx10, 100lbsx10, 100lbsx8 spot for 2 more
Supported T Bar Row
90x10, 135x12, 135x12, 135x12
Begin Super Setting Chest
Hammer Strength Flat Press SS Narrow Grip Lat Pulldown
90x15 SS 90x12
180x12 SS 135x12
270x10 SS 135x12
270x10 SS 135x10
270x10 SS 135x10
270x9
Hammer Strength Wide Press SS Hammer Strength Low Row
270x10 SS 270x10
340x10 SS 270x10
270x10 SS 270x8
Cable Flys back and forth no rest
110x9, 100x10, 90x10 drop to pushups for 8...done son!
After we showered at Gold's and got ready we headed over to the expo to watch Layne's other client compete in the Pro Bikini. I am really starting to think Layne's job is not so bad. We got to meet Marzia after she went on stage and she was not happy. She wasn't in the first callout which was about right. The top three girls were pretty damn spectacular. Marzia, although beautiful, just did not have the shape of the top 3. I have a feeling that she will be putting in alot of work in the near future to get the placing she wants though. She seemed pretty adamant that it was time to go to work. While walking around the expo I got to try many many samples. Layne, who is into his prep now...may have been a little frustrated with me, lol
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/b685ad2b.jpg
After the Expo on Friday we grabbed Rob and had him come back to my house. We all sat around and watched I Love You, Man. My girlfriend Misty got home from work, we had some food and then it was time to take Rob back to the hotel. Saturday was leg day with Layne at Gold's and I was a little nervous...lol.
Saturday morning we got up early and hit Gold's again. This time Misty worked out with Isabel and they hit back. Layne and I had some work to do so we headed over the hack machine to get things started. Here is the workout which ensued. I will includes Layne's numbers on the hack only because they are ridiculous.
Hack Squat
4platesx10, 4+25x7, 4+25x6, 4platesx11
Laynes Hack numbers
6platesx10, 6platesx10, 6+25x10, 7platesx5 drop top 6 for 3 more....holy sheeeet I have work to do!
Leg Press SS with Donkey Calf Raise
Entire machinex10 4 sets SS 330x8 4 sets
This is where it gets interesting
Leg Extensions
250x10, 250x10, 250x10
Begin Occlusive Training, 1 set to 15 then go to failure rest 1 minute repeat
135x15, 135x10, 135x8, 135x7 remove the wraps...release the pressure!
Single Leg Curl Machine
100x10, 110x10, 130x8, 130x8, 130x8drop 80x8
So I was happy I finally worked legs with Layne. Basically I had proven to myself that I had been putting enough work in as his workouts resemble mine very much. Ofcourse he uses much more weight than I do but that will be fixed with time. The occlusive training is something I have read about but never done. The pain the accumulates by the wraps is pretty excurtiating, waiting for each set is pretty intense but if you ignore the pain and just go to failure its pretty cool. Layne said I was one of the few people who had ever made it through all four sets on their first try. This made my day.
After the workout we headed to the expo again. I hung out with Rob at the Scivation booth and handed out some samples, talked to some folks and enjoyed it. Scivation is going to be sponsoring some local bodybuilding shows this year so I will be helping out by setting up an information booth to talk about products and give out samples. I also met up with local bodybuilder John, or UCFbodybuilder on the bb.com boards. He is in mid prep and is doing everything asked of him by Layne. He even went to his car to grab a meal or two during the expo. After the expo Layne, Isable, Misty and I invited John to come have a bite with us. I always enjoy hanging with fellow bodybuilders, there really are very few of us so its cool to see other people go through the same things I do, lol. Yeah I had a piece of carrot cake in front of Layne and John, lol.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/77b0d1f6.jpg
We got back to my house Saturday night around 9 and watched the Strikeforce fights on CBS and the brawl afterwards. Layne and Isabel got on the road really early Sunday to get to Indiana, grab thier dogs and then head up to Illinois to pack.
Overall I had an amazing weekend. Lots of funny stories and good times with some of my favorite peers. I will also have more news later this week so stay tuned!

fltallpaul
04-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Quake 10.0 by Scivation

Last night was my first time using Quake. I only took two scoops since I have backed off the pre workout blasts from during my prep. I took two scoops one hour after eating and 30 minutes before the workout. There were no Beta Alanine tingles, not huge rush of energy or anything like VasoCharge does, ofcourse I only took half a serving. 30 minutes into the workout my friend Adam asked me how I liked the Quake and I honestly had forgotten I took it. It's amazing how smooth the energy and focus hits you. I had so much energy that I wanted to do some cardio at the end of my workout so I rode the bike for a few minutes. I am excited to use Quake going forward, this weekend I will get Misty to give me her review as well. VasoCharge was too strong for her so perhaps she will enjoy this more.

kglic1
04-22-2010, 11:33 AM
I actually just used Quake yesterday and it is awesome, Scivation has some great products

fltallpaul
04-22-2010, 01:01 PM
I actually just used Quake yesterday and it is awesome, Scivation has some great products

I like what Marc says about Scivation products. They are all made selfishly because Marc, Derek, Rob and those guys are all bodybuilders so they make products that they want to use.

Have you seen Solution 5? I began using this recently. Its an amazing meal replacement. Has everything from healthy fats, daily veggie requirements and protein blend of iso and concentrate....tastes amazing and fills you up.

Check out the details here, they also just came out with Vanilla..

http://www.scivation.com/products/solution5.htm

fltallpaul
04-26-2010, 12:33 PM
I recieved some amazing news a few weeks ago and have been waiting to share it with everyone. Scivation has picked me up as a sponsor and will be providing me with products and services. I have been using Scivation supplements as a staple since I began competing in bodybuilding a few years ago. I could not have imagined then that I would ever be worthy of a sponsor but I guess with some hard work and good fortune it has happened.

Layne Norton introduced me to the Xtend product initially, from there I began using VasoCharge, Essential Fatty Acids, Vanilla and Chocolate Whey, Solution 5, and now Quake the newest addition and pre workout formula is a staple. I have met everyone at Scivation in person from Marc Lobliner and Derek Charlebois to Rob Moran. They also sponsor some of the athletes which I most admire. Layne, Tommy Jeffers, Brian Whitacre, Jason Theobald(ScoobySnacks), Joe Franco, Kurt Wiedner and more. To be sponsered by the same company as these bodybuilders is a huge honor for me.

Look for my videos to be posted in the coming days and weeks for SimplyShredded.com and I am working on a website as well. I am building it myself so it may take a few days, lol.

DAVIDHARDY
04-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Congrats Paul! That's awesome!

fltallpaul
04-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Congrats Paul! That's awesome!

Thanks David..I will be representing!

fltallpaul
04-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Here is a video I have been working on with SimplyShredded.com

Not sure if this is the final version so this link may get changed but here is the first full test of the Back\Chest workout. Give me some feedback of things that could be better. I have a lot of say so as to what goes into these videos. Thanks. The high def version is still uploading, once that's done you can choose up to 1080p.
_c6XX4jP7D0

IL WNBF Pro
05-01-2010, 08:18 AM
260p/300c/70f
Supplements are
EFA's
BCAA's
Creatine
Whey
Multi Vitamin
Glucosamine
Pre Workout NO

Couple of questions.....your video for chest & back was great. When are the rest coming? When doing Laynes type of split, do you use periodization or train within range and not used forced reps much? Lastly...do you count your bcaa's towards protein intake for the day? Thanks...

fltallpaul
05-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Couple of questions.....your video for chest & back was great. When are the rest coming? When doing Laynes type of split, do you use periodization or train within range and not used forced reps much? Lastly...do you count your bcaa's towards protein intake for the day? Thanks...

I have another video up and two more coming in the coming days.

I do periodize the power days, I work my way to a new max every 5-6 weeks on my power movements. I dont' do much forced reps, if ever its on the last set of an exercise on hypertrophy day.

I don't count BCAA's toward my daily total.

Here is the video

j46IZh5ljiY

IL WNBF Pro
05-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Do you use a specific protocol for your periodization like Tommy Jeffers (working from 55% of 1RM to a new PR 6 weeks later) or is it by feel?

Also, do you just periodization on the major groups (chest, back, legs, shoulder) or for everything?

fltallpaul
05-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Do you use a specific protocol for your periodization like Tommy Jeffers (working from 55% of 1RM to a new PR 6 weeks later) or is it by feel?

Also, do you just periodization on the major groups (chest, back, legs, shoulder) or for everything?

The periodization protocal I use with this split is exactly the same as Tommy uses. This was Layne's creation. I can't give you specifics but your on the money with what your saying.

I use the periodization with One exercise for each bodypart. On heavy upper day it would be a Chest Press Movement, A Row or Pullups, A Curl, Tricep and Shoulder mass builder. On lower day it's a squat or Hack Squat, Stiff legged or regular Deadlift.

IL WNBF Pro
05-03-2010, 10:23 AM
The periodization protocal I use with this split is exactly the same as Tommy uses. This was Layne's creation. I can't give you specifics but your on the money with what your saying.

I use the periodization with One exercise for each bodypart. On heavy upper day it would be a Chest Press Movement, A Row or Pullups, A Curl, Tricep and Shoulder mass builder. On lower day it's a squat or Hack Squat, Stiff legged or regular Deadlift.

Ok..I have that protocol. Just wasnt sure of the need to use periodization for curls. I was thinking of just doing it on chest/back/shoulders and then doing something like one exercise for the bi/tri with a 3x5 type of set up on power days....then typical hypertrophy workout.

If you dont mind answering, do you also do the 65% protocol on hypertrophy like Tommy for the power movements?

fltallpaul
05-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Ok..I have that protocol. Just wasnt sure of the need to use periodization for curls. I was thinking of just doing it on chest/back/shoulders and then doing something like one exercise for the bi/tri with a 3x5 type of set up on power days....then typical hypertrophy workout.

If you dont mind answering, do you also do the 65% protocol on hypertrophy like Tommy for the power movements?

I might incorporate that although I usually just go by feel. I am looking for some more structure to the routine this time around so that might be what I use. Tommy also made changes and started going really heavy on Hypertrophy day...but he is strong as hell.

IL WNBF Pro
05-05-2010, 11:43 PM
I might incorporate that although I usually just go by feel. I am looking for some more structure to the routine this time around so that might be what I use. Tommy also made changes and started going really heavy on Hypertrophy day...but he is strong as hell.

Hell yes he's strong.....hes doing a 3-on, 1-off (or maybe 2....not sure) type of routine where he alternates power and hypertrophy. From what I gather he runs from 70 or 82.5% then progresses through to a new PR day.

Just my luck...I was trying something different....my power day was conventional deads (as periodization exercise) then couple sets of hacks, then couple lunges, then couple leg curls. Ended up aggravating a hamstring injury from last year. Right up at the origin. SHIT!! You guys motivate the hell out of me so I will see how I can push through this...

fltallpaul
05-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Hell yes he's strong.....hes doing a 3-on, 1-off (or maybe 2....not sure) type of routine where he alternates power and hypertrophy. From what I gather he runs from 70 or 82.5% then progresses through to a new PR day.

Just my luck...I was trying something different....my power day was conventional deads (as periodization exercise) then couple sets of hacks, then couple lunges, then couple leg curls. Ended up aggravating a hamstring injury from last year. Right up at the origin. SHIT!! You guys motivate the hell out of me so I will see how I can push through this...

Tommy is using something different right now but for a long time he was doing three heavy upper body days, then rest, then three hypertrophy days then rest.

Good luck with the aggravation, rest and recover...I always check form when I tweak something just to be safe.

fltallpaul
05-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Arm workout for SimplyShredded

gZOncCXgGdoYouTube- Natural professional bodybuilder Paul Revelia trains arms with SimplyShredded.com

Matt Cena
05-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Paul, congratulations on the sponsorship as well as the video series for Simplyshredded. Keep up the great work and best of luck at the power lifting meet in August.

Flynn
05-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Arm workout for SimplyShredded Your shoulders look huge during the preachers PR. Is it the shirt, must be shirt, it's the shirt :p. Again, congrats on the sponsorship and series.

turkish1530
05-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Hey Paul how have you been amigo?! Glad to see everything is going phenomal for you....new sponsorship! Video Series! Hanging with Layne and the gang! It's good to see a good hardworking gentleman have some succees. Best of luck brother.

fltallpaul
05-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Paul, congratulations on the sponsorship as well as the video series for Simplyshredded. Keep up the great work and best of luck at the power lifting meet in August.

Thanks Matt. Perhaps we can get together and train in Tampa. I am going to be coming over that way to train with Layne, Benny and Dom from time to time. I am looking forward to the meet.

Your shoulders look huge during the preachers PR. Is it the shirt, must be shirt, it's the shirt :p. Again, congrats on the sponsorship and series.

I purchased a shoulder pad device for my shirt, lol. Actually shoulders have always been a strong point on me...not my favorite bodypart but I am not complaining. Thank you.

Hey Paul how have you been amigo?! Glad to see everything is going phenomal for you....new sponsorship! Video Series! Hanging with Layne and the gang! It's good to see a good hardworking gentleman have some succees. Best of luck brother.

Yeah Layne is moving to an area in Tampa where I grew up and its only an hour away so we will be doing alot more stuff once he gets down from Illinois for good. This is definitely a good stretch for me and I look forward to doing some good for Scivation and the sport if possible...still need to get huge like you!

fltallpaul
05-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Training is going very well. My knee is giving me issues on leg extensions so I am laying off them until I see a Dr. Squats have been feeling more and more natural so I look forward to seeing how my strength is progressing in the next few weeks. I am using the Power\Hypertrophy split and some new PR's should be had in 5 weeks. I found some pics from the OCB Midwest states that I hadn't seen...figured I would post a few up here.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/SideChestOverall.jpg http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/SideChestOverall2.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/RearDubFinals.jpg

kglic1
05-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Paul, You look insane in these pics, I saw the prejudging pics and 1) you made everyone look tiny and 2) conditioning wise you made everyone look 3 weeks out, INSANE. I got a quick question about tricep training, I feel like its my weakest spot what have you been doin for triceps?

kglic1
05-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow Im an idiot I just watched the arm workout for simplyshredded.com haha, I feel like I have the same problem 6'4 with the lanky arms, but again you looked awesome in those pics and look huge in the videos you have to be up to 250 at least. Check out my blog I have for Genr8 when you get a chance I recently signed with them and again thanks for everything. www.kyleglickman.wordpress.com

AVBG
05-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Congrats on the sponsorship Paul! How's the looser diet treating you?

turkish1530
05-15-2010, 02:34 AM
Training is going very well. My knee is giving me issues on leg extensions so I am laying off them until I see a Dr. Squats have been feeling more and more natural so I look forward to seeing how my strength is progressing in the next few weeks. I am using the Power\Hypertrophy split and some new PR's should be had in 5 weeks. I found some pics from the OCB Midwest states that I hadn't seen...figured I would post a few up here.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/SideChestOverall.jpg http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/SideChestOverall2.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/RearDubFinals.jpg

Crazy detail man......just unreal from the sides especially!

Matt Cena
05-16-2010, 07:49 PM
[quote=fltallpaul;1001052]Thanks Matt. Perhaps we can get together and train in Tampa. I am going to be coming over that way to train with Layne, Benny and Dom from time to time. I am looking forward to the meet.

Any time, let me know when and where you guys will be training at and I am sure I will be able to make a few workouts with you, it would be my pleasure. Keep training hard and I look forward to charting your progress.

fltallpaul
05-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Wow Im an idiot I just watched the arm workout for simplyshredded.com haha, I feel like I have the same problem 6'4 with the lanky arms, but again you looked awesome in those pics and look huge in the videos you have to be up to 250 at least. Check out my blog I have for Genr8 when you get a chance I recently signed with them and again thanks for everything. www.kyleglickman.wordpress.com (http://www.kyleglickman.wordpress.com)

Thanks Kyle...I am around 240 and won't get much higher than that. I plan to get more athletically lean after I hit a powerlifting meet or two this year. Next year I plan on doing more than 1 or 2 shows so I may be in contest prep mode for most of the year.

Congrats on the sponsorship Paul! How's the looser diet treating you?

Things are great right now, my strength has been increasing every week in the gym so I know its helping. Scivation has been with me since I started competing so its amazing to be sponsored by someone who I believe in and would use even if not.

Crazy detail man......just unreal from the sides especially!

Thanks Turk...not the biggest but I have my own unique attributes.

[quote=fltallpaul;1001052]

Any time, let me know when and where you guys will be training at and I am sure I will be able to make a few workouts with you, it would be my pleasure. Keep training hard and I look forward to charting your progress.

I might be coming over for the Tampa Pro weekend and training too so I will let you know.

rex
05-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Hey Paul,

I am currently trying to bring up my squat and was wondering how/if you structure deloads into your leg training to keep progressing? Also, are there any specific techniques or exercises that you have found to improve your quad sweep? Keep up the good work!

fltallpaul
05-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Hey Paul,

I am currently trying to bring up my squat and was wondering how/if you structure deloads into your leg training to keep progressing? Also, are there any specific techniques or exercises that you have found to improve your quad sweep? Keep up the good work!

I do structure deloads. Basically on my power days I start at 55% and go up to 107%, then go back and use 55% of my new max. I also lower the volume as I get closer to my max. I have found this to be a very good formula.

Initially I did a lot of close stance hack squats with toes pointed in and front squats for sweep. I am actually starting to feel its better to just get as strong as possible as the leg muscles are going to grow all over, not just innner or outer sweep.

rex
05-21-2010, 01:54 PM
I do structure deloads. Basically on my power days I start at 55% and go up to 107%, then go back and use 55% of my new max. I also lower the volume as I get closer to my max. I have found this to be a very good formula.

Initially I did a lot of close stance hack squats with toes pointed in and front squats for sweep. I am actually starting to feel its better to just get as strong as possible as the leg muscles are going to grow all over, not just innner or outer sweep.

Awesome, I have a just a couple more questions:
How many weeks do you take to get from 55% to 107% (How much weight % should I add each week before I am back working toward new PRs)? Also, during the period in which you are working back up to your old PRs on the squat, do you keep your accessory work* at maintenance, deload accessory work, or try to increase your #'s on the accessory work? Thanks Paul, I really appreciate you taking the time.

*leg extensions, hack squats, leg curls, ect.

fltallpaul
05-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Awesome, I have a just a couple more questions:
How many weeks do you take to get from 55% to 107% (How much weight % should I add each week before I am back working toward new PRs)? Also, during the period in which you are working back up to your old PRs on the squat, do you keep your accessory work* at maintenance, deload accessory work, or try to increase your #'s on the accessory work? Thanks Paul, I really appreciate you taking the time.

*leg extensions, hack squats, leg curls, ect.

I take 6 weeks per period to get to a new max. At the beginning when I am using less weight on the power days I go a bit heavier on the accesory work. As I get heavier I lower a bit but still keep up the intensity. It's a bit of a balance I have learned how to listen to my joints, tendons, and body for signs I need to back off a bit.

Your welcome and good luck with your routine. I have a training journal on RX so you can look at my workouts specifically. The last 3 weeks I have been on the Power Hypertrophy Split so you can get a good idea of numbers and sets.

rex
05-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Cool, I will check it out.

OoFaP
05-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Paul,

I have my first natural show in less than 3 weeks. Since it's summer, my goal is to still stay very lean for at least 2 more months and then transition into my off season where I want to still stay lean and never going above 10% body fat.

My question is how should I transition from contest diet to post contest diet? I'm very capable of not giving into temptation so I know I could continue to keep dieting if I had to. I just don't want to mess up my potential anabolic window by staying too strict. I was thinking of decreasing cardio to 20 minutes a day instead of 40 and adding 10 grams of carbs the first week and then slowly adding calories back in the form of carbs for a few weeks. Am I being too neurotic?

fltallpaul
06-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Paul,

I have my first natural show in less than 3 weeks. Since it's summer, my goal is to still stay very lean for at least 2 more months and then transition into my off season where I want to still stay lean and never going above 10% body fat.

My question is how should I transition from contest diet to post contest diet? I'm very capable of not giving into temptation so I know I could continue to keep dieting if I had to. I just don't want to mess up my potential anabolic window by staying too strict. I was thinking of decreasing cardio to 20 minutes a day instead of 40 and adding 10 grams of carbs the first week and then slowly adding calories back in the form of carbs for a few weeks. Am I being too neurotic?

Post contest dieting is something I struggle with as well. We work very hard to get our bodies into this condition and within a few weeks if we indulge we look much more normal despite our efforts. Ultimately the decision lies within each person's desires. I personally have more trouble adding muscle than adding fat. I am a lean person by nature so I have to work pretty hard to gain muscle. Therefore I let myself gain a bit of pudge so that I can maximise my gains. Even at 230lbs I still find myself in better shape than just about any of my friends.

The idea of an anabolic rebound from contest dieting is not something lost on me either. I started training the Monday after my last show and within 6 weeks was hitting Personal Records. It took still another few months to get my weight back to where I wanted it. I consider myself not just a bodybuilder but also an athlete so for me to be too heavy in the off season would hinder my ability to play volleyball, basketball and softball...among other things.

Ideally I guess you should try to make gains while staying lean enough that you are happy with yourself. Take a look at the big picture and find your happy place.

The reverse diet you speak of is a great idea but it all comes down to controlling your urges when you don't have a specific contest coming up which can be pretty difficult. Good luck at your show.

taxguy
06-03-2010, 01:58 PM
First, I really admire your physique. Good work.

Next, I think you stated that you front-loaded carbs for a recent contest. Could you expand on that some? Did you deplete any prior to front-loading? Did it make a difference what type of carbs you started and ended the week with? Were you happy with the results?

I am looking to try something a little different than the normal deplete then load. That hasn't really done much for me. Thanks in advance.

fltallpaul
06-03-2010, 02:26 PM
First, I really admire your physique. Good work.

Next, I think you stated that you front-loaded carbs for a recent contest. Could you expand on that some? Did you deplete any prior to front-loading? Did it make a difference what type of carbs you started and ended the week with? Were you happy with the results?

I am looking to try something a little different than the normal deplete then load. That hasn't really done much for me. Thanks in advance.

There are a few problems with the typical deplete and then load. One problem can be sodium and water. If your cutting your sodium and water while loading carbs then your body has no way to shuttle those carbs into your muscle. This is often why competitors look so good the day after the show when they have added back in some sodium, water and tons of carbs at a post contest meal or 3, lol.

The other problem can be time, if you start carb loading too close to the show you may come in flat for pre judging, which is the most important part of the show. Waking up early the day of the show I always start my day 6 hours before pre judging. I don't sleep much but that's fine I am usually anxious to go. You need to learn how quickly your body responds to loading carbs. If you are truly depleted it may take a few days for your body to recover. I typically don't go below 200g of carbs during my depletion because if I do it takes me days to recover, I then load starting around 700 per day and taper in each day. This is very individual though and if your uncertain its always best to stick with what you have been doing through contest prep.

I did not do a huge depletion but I did drop my carbs slightly just before the first high carb day. I loaded carbs on Mon, Tues, Wed was back to normal for Thursday and Friday and woke up early Saturday and judged where I needed to be. I have really liked this approach as it ensures your going to be full on stage and still gives time to make adjustments. It's also important to load your carbs with the same sources you used during prep so you know what to expect.

taxguy
06-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Wow, that was quick. Also, how would front-loading affect the normal glycogen depletion workouts that most do early in the final week?

fltallpaul
06-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Wow, that was quick. Also, how would front-loading affect the normal glycogen depletion workouts that most do early in the final week?

My workouts the week of the contest are based on getting a good pump, avoiding failure finding the sweet spot for contest day. If I am doing things right the week of the contest my pumps are through the roof, although I may be a little watery because I up my water and carbs at the same time. By the end of the week the watery look goes away and I am left with insane pumps and tight skin.

fltallpaul
06-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Update pictures, 244lbs

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/sc-8.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/rls-8.jpg

Rsardinia
06-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Lookin great Paul. Excellent color above as I've already told you :D

NATURAL-1987
06-05-2010, 12:07 AM
So your about 30lbs over past contest weight in these current pics?

Matt Cena
06-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Awesome progress Paul, keep it up man! Hope all is well.

fltallpaul
06-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Lookin great Paul. Excellent color above as I've already told you :D

Thanks I hope my advice helps your color at your show.

So your about 30lbs over past contest weight in these current pics?

I was about 206 so a little over 30lbs over contest weight, although I think all the heavy lifting I am doing with legs, back and chest may put a few more lbs on me before I step on stage again...let's hope!

Awesome progress Paul, keep it up man! Hope all is well.

THanks Matt...I'll be over lifting with Layne on Monday and Tuesday. Do you train at Powerhouse?

fltallpaul
06-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Train insane with Layne

http://www.realweighttraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/laynenorton.jpg

Monday and Tuesday were the first two of many workouts with Layne Norton. We also filmed some footage for SimplyShredded.com which should be available within a week or so depending on how soon the footage is edited. We we able to film at Layne's gym in Tampa, Powerhouse gym on N. Florida Ave. What a great gym, just an old school atmosphere with steel plates, no rules hardcore lifting going on. I almost forgot what that was like at LA fitness.

Monday night we did an Upper Body Power workout with Supported Tbar Rows and Flat Dumbell Presses as our power movements. The workout went like this.

Upper Body Power

Supported Tbar Rows
205x5, 225x5, 215x5
Narrow Grip Cable Pulldowns
210x8, 220x8, 230x8(don't recall exactly but this sounds right)

Flat DB Press
138x5, 148x5, 148x9

Cable Flyes
120x8, 120x8

Lateral DB Raise
35x10, 45x10, 45x10, 40x10/drop30x10/drop20x10/drop10x10(oh the burn!)

Preacher Curl Superset with Cable Pressdown 4 sets
I don't remember the weights, I just used what Layne was using(not as easy on the curls though...his biceps are more like quadriceps!)
So that was the end of Upper Power day. Overall I was very pleased, we did some posing afterwards for the camera in the back of the gym. I think I beat Layne in height, he wins everything else. Layne is also looking lean right now which made me feel fat by comparison but our goals are slightly different right now. I can't wait to see him on stage though...talk about epic. After we got back to the house Layne had to show off his new pool. We did some alley oops with his floating goal then did an interview for SimplyShredded. I also took some update pictures for him before we went to bed....Layne is going to bring it this year!

Lower Body Power
Squats

300x5, 300x5, 315x5(Layne Spot on last one)

SLDL
345x5, 345x5, 365x5

Superset Leg Extensions and Calf Raises

Superset Single Leg Curls and Calf Raises

So leg day with Layne. I was both excited and nervous for this. Layne used 505 and 495 for his sets of 5 and got them all. It was damn impressive to see that much weight go up and down. The video of this will be amazing. I also set a Personal Record after getting 300 for 5 two times. Last week I only got 4 on my own. So I went for 315 and got 4 solo and Layne had to help a bit on the last as I started to go back down. I still powered it up with his help and was pretty excited. Something Layne said really struck me...he said if your going heavy on squats its not like going heavy on upper body. On upper body when you go heavy it doesn't feel heavy until the last few reps...with Squats if your going heavy it will feel heavy from the first rep on and you just have to fight through it, not many people are willing to push through the pain once it hits. True words....I can't wait for the video.

We were pretty gassed after legs, we got home and ate...chatted a bit and hit the road back to Orlando. The drive from Layne's to my house is about 75 minutes. I am sure this type of training will be happening much more often. Perhaps before too long I won't have to take plates off when its Layne's turn to squat. I also look forward to deadlifting with Layne. We also saw Dom at the gym. For those who don't know Dom is a professor at USF who competed at Team Universe and has won an Overall at an NPC show as a Natural...just a huge freaking monster. I see some epic training with those guys down the road.

sflynn23
06-09-2010, 08:43 AM
I cant wait to see the videos. I bet that was a blast working with layne.

fltallpaul
06-10-2010, 12:49 PM
I cant wait to see the videos. I bet that was a blast working with layne.

Legs was very humbling but also inspiring...I will be working my ass off until I am squatting within range of my peers!

fltallpaul
06-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Since I have a Powerlifting meet in 7 weeks I wanted to start a new program. Here is what I am going to be doing for a few weeks. I will tweak it a bit as I go as its something I came up with by mixing a few styles together.

This program includes 3 Max Effort days. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday are all max effort days with accessory work included. This program is meant to be used for short periods such as preparing the final weeks for a Power lifting meet. The program is specifically set up to improve max effort on the big 3 lifts. Each lift follows a 7 week period to a new max. Following the below schedule on max effort days.

1RM= One Rep Maximum. Start with 55% and end with 105%.
Week 1: 1RM(.55) 3 sets of 10
Week 2: 1RM(.70) 3 sets of 8
Week 3: 1RM(.80) 3 sets of 6
Week 4: 1RM(.90) 3 sets of 4
Week 5: 1RM(.95) 3 sets of 2
Week 5: 1RM(1.0) 3 sets of 1
Week 6: 1RM(1.05) 1 set of 1

Monday: Dynamic Effort Bench

Dynamic Bench: 8 x 3 @ 60%
Incline DB Bench Press: 5 x 8-12 60-90 seconds rest
Close Grip Bench Press: 3 x 10
Skull Crushers: 4 x 8-12
Supported T-bar Row: 5 x 8-12
Hammer Curl: 4 x 8-12

Tuesday: Maximum Effort Squat

ME Squat
Hack Squat 3 sets 8-10
Leg Extensions 3 sets 10-12
Calf Exercise 1 4 sets 8-10
Calf Exercise 2 3 sets 10-12

Thursday: Maximum Effort Bench

ME Bench
Side Lateral DB Raise: 3 x 10-12
Single Arm DB Row: 3 x 5-8
Pullups: 5 x failure
Barbell Curls: 4 x 5-8

Friday: Maximum Effort Deadlift

ME Deadlift
Farmers Walk\Grip Work
Single Leg Curl 3 x 8-12

fltallpaul
06-30-2010, 10:05 AM
I filmed a set of squats last night in the gym. Not very heavy but for me its beginning to become a very comfortable movement and the weight is increasing each rotation. My max is around 345 right now and hopefully I can get up to 365 by my meet in August.

TETxn056oqQ

fltallpaul
07-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Get ready for a new training series with me and some other guy!
fcRvCUjAaJA

rex
07-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Awesome, the preview already has me pumped.

fltallpaul
07-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Awesome, the preview already has me pumped.

Here is the video

Layne Norton Training Series 2010 Featuring NGA Pro Paul Revelia on Vimeo

Mick
07-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Great work Paul! Looking forward to the next one already!

fltallpaul
07-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Great work Paul! Looking forward to the next one already!

Thanks Mick, there going to be good. I am looking forward to it as well as I have not seen anything but bits and pieces.

fltallpaul
07-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Here is part 2 of 4

Layne Norton Training Series Part 2 on Vimeo

Kay1991
08-01-2010, 01:02 AM
Hey Paul, just wanted to find out what your opinion is on skim milk and the carbs in it for contest prep?
Is it fine as long as i hit my macros for the day?

RIZZ
08-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Paul,

I follow your training and posts along with Layne Nortons. I want to incorporate the power-hypertrophy routine into my off season training. I was going to PM you, but I figured I would post it so everybody can see incase thy're thinking of the same thing. My weak part is my back. I was going to do Monday upperbody power training and Tuesday lower body power with thursday back/biceps, Friday chest,triceps and delts, and Saturday legs ( the last 3 days hypertrophy). I want to specialize on Back would I add another back workout in on Saturday with a 2nd workout or do Thursday lats and friday mid back/traps? What would you do for specializing on weaker bodyparts?

Thanks,

RIZZ

fltallpaul
08-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey Paul, just wanted to find out what your opinion is on skim milk and the carbs in it for contest prep?
Is it fine as long as i hit my macros for the day?

Yes skim milk is fine, hitting your numbers are more important than food choices. Food choices tend to get shaped around your numbers. So called healthy foods tend to be more satiating and filling, and also contain more essentials.

Paul,

I follow your training and posts along with Layne Nortons. I want to incorporate the power-hypertrophy routine into my off season training. I was going to PM you, but I figured I would post it so everybody can see incase thy're thinking of the same thing. My weak part is my back. I was going to do Monday upperbody power training and Tuesday lower body power with thursday back/biceps, Friday chest,triceps and delts, and Saturday legs ( the last 3 days hypertrophy). I want to specialize on Back would I add another back workout in on Saturday with a 2nd workout or do Thursday lats and friday mid back/traps? What would you do for specializing on weaker bodyparts?

Thanks,

RIZZ

No need to add another day, just throw back in first on all the days you are doing it. This is a prioritizaiton principle which I always use. One heavy back day and one hypetrophy back day is plenty to bring it up, just make sure your focusing on hitting the muscle and not using too much weight.

Thanks for watching the vids...

Mick
08-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Hey Paul

Just wanted to stop by and pass on congrats on the PL meet. Pulled some good numbers! Nice work mate!

When are you on stage again??

fltallpaul
08-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Hey Paul

Just wanted to stop by and pass on congrats on the PL meet. Pulled some good numbers! Nice work mate!

When are you on stage again??

Thanks buddy...I will put the video from the meet in here as well.

-9vf_oy293Y

Flynn
08-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Nice job Paul! Were the final numbers the last vid for each lift?

Mick
08-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Made it look easy! Nice work! Any plans on doing anymore??

norway power
08-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Hey Paul, what is your take on using creatine mono during contest prep?

Minnphat
08-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Hey Paul, I have decided to give the Power Hypertrophy a shot bc I figured like Layne said it can't hurt bc I have been doing the same shit for seven years. Two questions, first how many weeks should I give it to see if it is actually working and not hurting progress. Second, I really like deadlifting for back, which day should I throw it in? Right now I dead on back day and straight leg dead on leg day but they are sperate with this program legs and back are one day after the other... thanks man..

fltallpaul
08-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Nice job Paul! Were the final numbers the last vid for each lift?

Squat 365\Bench 380\Deadlift 475

Made it look easy! Nice work! Any plans on doing anymore??

I plan on getting in the gym and killing some higher volume stuff for a while. The low volume of the powerlifting is only fun for a short period. Once I feel I have made improvements I will compete again.

Hey Paul, what is your take on using creatine mono during contest prep?

I use creatine all the way through contest prep.

Hey Paul, I have decided to give the Power Hypertrophy a shot bc I figured like Layne said it can't hurt bc I have been doing the same shit for seven years. Two questions, first how many weeks should I give it to see if it is actually working and not hurting progress. Second, I really like deadlifting for back, which day should I throw it in? Right now I dead on back day and straight leg dead on leg day but they are sperate with this program legs and back are one day after the other... thanks man..

I would say give it about 3-4 weeks to see the progress. The first two weeks your body will be adapting...then you will see some changes.

Deadlifting is a personal choice. I have done everything from giving Dl's thier own day to doing them on leg or back day. Any way you do it just be smart. Use a mixture of Rack Deads and Floor deads to give yourself recovery. Honestly I don't like doing them on leg day as I try to kill quads on leg day.

fitcorps
08-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Paul what's up my man? We gotta chat sometime soon. Have a few questions for you.

Hope all is well.

fltallpaul
08-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Paul what's up my man? We gotta chat sometime soon. Have a few questions for you.

Hope all is well.

Hey buddy...You have my number don't be afraid to use it. I am all ears...you coming down in November?

fitcorps
08-24-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm leaning toward yes. All depends on finances and the ability to get a personal day from school, as well as a flight early enough on Friday so I don't miss the poly.

fltallpaul
08-31-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm leaning toward yes. All depends on finances and the ability to get a personal day from school, as well as a flight early enough on Friday so I don't miss the poly.

Alright well if you come I will buy the IHOP the day after. It would be great to see you on stage with Layne!

Minnphat
09-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey Paul, I have been doing the Power Hypertrophy for a few weeks now and I am getting weeker... And I am on a bulk..... is this Normal in the first couple weeks? Because I should be gettign stronger just by adding carbs and creatine back in and I am not.....

fltallpaul
09-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Hey Paul, I have been doing the Power Hypertrophy for a few weeks now and I am getting weeker... And I am on a bulk..... is this Normal in the first couple weeks? Because I should be gettign stronger just by adding carbs and creatine back in and I am not.....

You should never get weaker. It takes the body a few weeks to adapt to the training because of the higher frequency typically. I felt more fatigued and exhausted post workout at the beginning but I never lost any strength. I would guess loss of strength is related to diet, over training or lack of rest and recovery. Without knowing the entire picture its hard to say if its the routine.

Post the basics of the routine and let me look at it. Also include your diet, thanks.

fitcorps
09-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Alright well if you come I will buy the IHOP the day after. It would be great to see you on stage with Layne!

You got a deal!

I'm hoping I can work it out!

How's the training going? Any new simplyshredded vids?

You should seriously get something set up for the Sunday after the Universe. We could all do something together if possible. I think it'd be awesome grabbing a bunch of the Pro U guys and hitting the gym Sunday morning, then hitting IHOP for some post workout EATS!:yep:

fltallpaul
09-10-2010, 02:37 PM
You got a deal!

I'm hoping I can work it out!

How's the training going? Any new simplyshredded vids?

You should seriously get something set up for the Sunday after the Universe. We could all do something together if possible. I think it'd be awesome grabbing a bunch of the Pro U guys and hitting the gym Sunday morning, then hitting IHOP for some post workout EATS!:yep:

I am down for whatever you want to do after the show. If you want to lift the day after you know I am down. Then we can go to the beach and show ft. lauderdale what's up!

epifiny
09-30-2010, 01:52 AM
wow paul - i just caught up with your thread and i just want to see how much i appreciate you giving back ot the nattie community as i for one have learned alot from people like you layne and jason..

i was curious cuz i seen to talk about your cardio while dieting - for your HIIT sessions.. what's the duration of choice? equipment of choice and how do you do your intervals - some people are 15 secs high 45 low.. some are 1 and 1 all the way thru - was curious as to what u like to do.

fltallpaul
09-30-2010, 08:41 AM
wow paul - i just caught up with your thread and i just want to see how much i appreciate you giving back ot the nattie community as i for one have learned alot from people like you layne and jason..

i was curious cuz i seen to talk about your cardio while dieting - for your HIIT sessions.. what's the duration of choice? equipment of choice and how do you do your intervals - some people are 15 secs high 45 low.. some are 1 and 1 all the way thru - was curious as to what u like to do.

Thanks for the kind words but I don't really think I belong in the same category as Layne or Jason.

Duration of choice is a 15 second sprint. I don't really believe you can put all out effort into a sprint for much more than that. When I do my sprints it is literally as fast as I can go as hard as I can go. Those who do HIIT for 1 minute are not really going all out...you have to pace yourself. I prefer to use the recumbent bike for my HIIT. I have also been known to run on a track but that can become a bit tough on the back and knees over time. The bike allows me to use low impact and really bust it hard. Honestly its really a matter of preference since the bottom line is your going to have to make adjustments. I think with real HIIT work you make less adjustments because as you get in better shape you can make the sprints harder by going a bit faster. It's almost as if the better you get, the harder they get.

I also wouldn't reccomend doing HIIT more than twice a week, maybe 3 times at most. The response I get from HIIT and the time it takes makes is way more efficient than LISS is my book. I think some people are just stuck in the old way or are too lazy to give it a shot...because its freaking hard!

Good luck.

epifiny
09-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the kind words but I don't really think I belong in the same category as Layne or Jason.

Duration of choice is a 15 second sprint. I don't really believe you can put all out effort into a sprint for much more than that. When I do my sprints it is literally as fast as I can go as hard as I can go. Those who do HIIT for 1 minute are not really going all out...you have to pace yourself. I prefer to use the recumbent bike for my HIIT. I have also been known to run on a track but that can become a bit tough on the back and knees over time. The bike allows me to use low impact and really bust it hard. Honestly its really a matter of preference since the bottom line is your going to have to make adjustments. I think with real HIIT work you make less adjustments because as you get in better shape you can make the sprints harder by going a bit faster. It's almost as if the better you get, the harder they get.

I also wouldn't reccomend doing HIIT more than twice a week, maybe 3 times at most. The response I get from HIIT and the time it takes makes is way more efficient than LISS is my book. I think some people are just stuck in the old way or are too lazy to give it a shot...because its freaking hard!

Good luck.

i hear ya man.. i'm one of those people that just enjoy a good LISS round.. i have a treadmill at home - mediocre one that i have always used for just walking - always get fearful of doing hard sprints and falling off.. - question though.. i normally like to train MTRF with TSS off.. 2days on 1 day off, etc. is it ok to take 2 of the 3 days off and do HIIT while keeping LISS on days that i train? and then after HIIT since it's so intense would you treat it as a normal workout in such that you should have a PWO meal/shake aftwards..?

fltallpaul
09-30-2010, 08:50 AM
i hear ya man.. i'm one of those people that just enjoy a good LISS round.. i have a treadmill at home - mediocre one that i have always used for just walking - always get fearful of doing hard sprints and falling off.. - question though.. i normally like to train MTRF with TSS off.. 2days on 1 day off, etc. is it ok to take 2 of the 3 days off and do HIIT while keeping LISS on days that i train? and then after HIIT since it's so intense would you treat it as a normal workout in such that you should have a PWO meal/shake aftwards..?

Yes I always treat HIIT as a workout. I promise if you do it right you will be more tired than you would normally be from a workout. I always start with 10 sprints and don't usually get above 12. Although to shock my body toward the end of prep I did 20 once...about died. If your taking three days off then you could do HIIT on two of your off days. I would also include a 5 minute warmup and cooldown with LISS.

The Solution
09-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Never knew you had a thread on here Paul. Just popping in to say hello and its good to know this place is "Troll" free :)

fltallpaul
10-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Never knew you had a thread on here Paul. Just popping in to say hello and its good to know this place is "Troll" free :)

No place is troll free but so far this section has been a good resource. Thanks for finding it.

fltallpaul
10-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Tbar Rows
270x5, 3 sets
yWJi3lIzzk0

Incline Bench Press
315x5, 305x3, 275x5
fYVeC_lTVfU

I hit a few PR's yesterday on tbar rows and incline bench. I thought I would share the videos here.

Tonight is heavy squats and SLDL's. I will most likely go for 5 reps with 335 on squat and 405 on SLDL. I will have Adam film those with his phone as well.

epifiny
10-05-2010, 10:18 AM
the xtend supplement - i read the macros for the product but did not notice any calorie count even though it's flavor - is there not some type of artifical sweetner in it to make it taste the way it does?

fltallpaul
10-05-2010, 01:30 PM
the xtend supplement - i read the macros for the product but did not notice any calorie count even though it's flavor - is there not some type of artifical sweetner in it to make it taste the way it does?

It does have calories. It has 5g of amino acids per scoop which is 4kcal/gram = 20 total kcals per scoop. The reason it is listed as 0 is because they FDA will not allow a company to list free form amino acids as having calories.

Articifial sweetners are a whole other story...I personally don't count the calories from Xtend, but that is a matter of preference.

fltallpaul
10-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Tbar Rows
270x5, 3 sets
yWJi3lIzzk0

Incline Bench Press
315x5, 305x3, 275x5
fYVeC_lTVfU

I hit a few PR's yesterday on tbar rows and incline bench. I thought I would share the videos here.

Tonight is heavy squats and SLDL's. I will most likely go for 5 reps with 335 on squat and 405 on SLDL. I will have Adam film those with his phone as well.

moved to new page

epifiny
10-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Yes I always treat HIIT as a workout. I promise if you do it right you will be more tired than you would normally be from a workout. I always start with 10 sprints and don't usually get above 12. Although to shock my body toward the end of prep I did 20 once...about died. If your taking three days off then you could do HIIT on two of your off days. I would also include a 5 minute warmup and cooldown with LISS.

jesus! you weren't joking.. i had a plan to get 12-15 in and i BARELY got 10.. like the last 3 were almost feelign like mediocre jogging.. even though i was trying my hardest.. kinda like that feeling when you are doing multiple drop sets and your down to the last one with light weight.. it was fun but exhausting..

fltallpaul
10-06-2010, 08:36 AM
jesus! you weren't joking.. i had a plan to get 12-15 in and i BARELY got 10.. like the last 3 were almost feelign like mediocre jogging.. even though i was trying my hardest.. kinda like that feeling when you are doing multiple drop sets and your down to the last one with light weight.. it was fun but exhausting..

Yes its truly rare to see someone do HIIT correctly. If you aren't exhausted after ten reps your doing it wrong, lol.

fltallpaul
10-06-2010, 08:36 AM
93J2hEU8Kis

x2-QUoFaX6M

With my upper body PR day behind me I was pretty excited to see what I could move for my lower day PR's. Last week heavy squats felt really difficult so I was worried today would be a problem. One thing I did change on my hypertrophy leg day on Friday was to lower the weight I squatted with and do some high reps. I think this may have helped because as soon as I started warming up my legs felt great. I started taking Aleve before each leg day to help with my knee and also noticed that is really helping. I had Adam film again and was able to set a PR with the 335 on squats for 5. After that I put 345 on and did a few reps. My next goal will be 350 for 5 and somewhere along the line I want to get 315 for 10. All of this will get my closer to that 405 squat.

The SLDL's were actually pretty tough as my hams were pretty shot from squats. I didn't do much warming up for this reason and went right into it. My first set went down pretty good and 405 felt nice. By the next set my hams were shot and I only got 3 so I dropped 20lbs and got 5 more. After some heavy calf stuff I spoke with Adam about his show this Saturday and went home to eat and relax. I will probably do one more heavy week and then move on to something new.

The Solution
10-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Paul, what do you think about Layne's advice of squatting away from a window? I saw this on his bb.com thread, did he ever preach this to you when you were squatting or as a client during prep? Your squat form is outstanding, any tips on sitting back into the motion? I have no trouble on front squats, but when it comes to back squats and the weight piles up my chest caves in and my knees collapse a bit.

Any pointers?

Also on the SLDL's do you ever do them without touching/bouncing off the ground? Throwing around some heavy weight, i know most people do them coming just shy of the ground. Would like to hear your 2 cents.

fltallpaul
10-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Paul, what do you think about Layne's advice of squatting away from a window? I saw this on his bb.com thread, did he ever preach this to you when you were squatting or as a client during prep? Your squat form is outstanding, any tips on sitting back into the motion? I have no trouble on front squats, but when it comes to back squats and the weight piles up my chest caves in and my knees collapse a bit.

Any pointers?

Also on the SLDL's do you ever do them without touching/bouncing off the ground? Throwing around some heavy weight, i know most people do them coming just shy of the ground. Would like to hear your 2 cents.

When I decided to enter a powerlifting meet earlier this year I did a search for some local advice. I found a group of drug free powerlifters who trained a few minutes from my house. I was able to work with a few guys who are remarkable power lifters. The owner of the gym Zeid, completed a 716 deadlift at 218lbs drug free. His Raw total is near 1800. The other guy that helped us was Mike Francis. Mike just got an 800 raw deadlift and is in the rankings on powerlifting watch. I was very fortunate if not humbled by them but also learned a ton on each lift.

We squatted each week in the monolift which sits in the middle of the room. There is no mirror there so I learned quickly how to squat without a mirror. I soon found that clearing my hips back and dropping my butt while driving my knees out over my toes was the way to go. I had a few challenges with my structure but just worked hard at over coming them. I am now finally starting to make progress consistantly. I did get 365 at my last meet and am hoping to get over 400 next time I compete. I am pretty sure I am getting close.

Now that I train in a regular gym I will say the mirror does not bother me at all. I don't use it...instead looking around it if you will.

Layne and I have had many talks about form on squats and the bottom line is you just got get your form where it needs to be and get to work. I wish I would have started sooner but luckily my legs have grown over the years through other exercises. I am hoping next time I diet down there is a new level of thickness that only heavy squatting can give you.

I used to do the SLDL's without touching but Layne and I were doing them one day and he was touching. I found I have more power and less strain on my back from doing full touch and go reps. I realize they aren't true stiff leg but my hams are being engaged and not my quads and that's what I am going for. I will get back into standard deadlifting shortly.

Flynn
10-07-2010, 10:53 AM
...I wish I would have started sooner but luckily my legs have grown over the years through other exercises. I am hoping next time I diet down there is a new level of thickness that only heavy squatting can give you.

Same here PR! I just began DLifting this year and [was] fortunate that other exercises allowed by back to grow. But, with having to take things to another level, I had to start DLifting to get improvements. BTW, your squatting form is 'on' especially for someone over 6'.

fltallpaul
10-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Same here PR! I just began DLifting this year and [was] fortunate that other exercises allowed by back to grow. But, with having to take things to another level, I had to start DLifting to get improvements. BTW, your squatting form is 'on' especially for someone over 6'.

Yeah honestly doing the basic movements the right way really just adds a level of thickness to the physique.

Learning how to squat properly took me a while but I am finally able to make consistant process.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

Flynn
10-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Hey PR - share your shoulder routine :yep:!

The Solution
10-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Paul I apprecaite the advice and time you spend with your replies. I am going to go back to 135 and really focus on just sitting back with my butt/hips and letting my knees slide out over my toes. Do you force your knees out on the way down to make sure that they do this? because sometimes i find when the weight gets heavy my knees cave in and it is hard to keep them out.

Also what does a day look like for your meal pattern? Do you dose BCAA's upon waking and have 3-4 meals a day with BCAA's inbetween and Xtend During your workout?

Curious to see how Layne outlines this for you with the lower frequency, i know some clients do 4 or 5, but do you get away with 3 meals spaced 5 hours apart with xtend between?

Thanks again for all your help.

fltallpaul
10-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Hey PR - share your shoulder routine :yep:!

My typical shoulder workout consists of a heavy movement first. My favorite are the DB press and the barbell press. Lately I lean more toward the barbell because getting 110's and 120's into position can be a bit scary alone.

I like to use the first movement as a heavy exercise and then once the anterior delt is truly worked I move into the medial stuff. I feel the medial delt is really what seperates guys on stage from one another. Almost everyone is going to have solid anterior delts from all the chest work we tend to over do. The shoulder cap is really created by doing side lateral work with good form. Most poeple I see are using too much weight and swinging it up. The focus should be on the elbow and keeping the weight in a fixed position. I bend my elbow slightly but try to keep the weight as far from my shoulder as possible as I raise it to really emphasize the medial portion. I work up to a 10-12 reps and on the last set of lateral raises i run the rack dropping 10lbs after each set and going to failure.

Another favorite of mine is the upright row. I like to do this with a bit of a wider grip to really stress the shoulder over the trap muscles.

I usually finish with a lateral raise machine to really finish off the caps.

I don't worry about my rear delts as they tend to get thrashed on back days. Toward the end of prep I will do some rear delt work with the reverse pec dec just to feel them get a pump.

Here is how I would break it down.

Barbell Military Press
4 sets of 8-10
Side Lateral DB Raise
10, 10, 10 drop 10 drop 10 drop 10 drop 10(40 total)
Upright rows
4 sets of 10-12
Machine Side Lateral Raise
3 sets of 15-18

I like this picture as an example of how much difference shoulder caps can make on stage.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/groupfront.jpg

Thanks Flynn!

fltallpaul
10-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Paul I apprecaite the advice and time you spend with your replies. I am going to go back to 135 and really focus on just sitting back with my butt/hips and letting my knees slide out over my toes. Do you force your knees out on the way down to make sure that they do this? because sometimes i find when the weight gets heavy my knees cave in and it is hard to keep them out.

Also what does a day look like for your meal pattern? Do you dose BCAA's upon waking and have 3-4 meals a day with BCAA's inbetween and Xtend During your workout?

Curious to see how Layne outlines this for you with the lower frequency, i know some clients do 4 or 5, but do you get away with 3 meals spaced 5 hours apart with xtend between?

Thanks again for all your help.

My knees used to cave as well. I was told this is a result of your quads being stronger than your hamstrings. To correct this you must force your knees out each and every time you squat. If you feel your knees caving, push them out over your toes. I still have to mentally tell myself this but after a while it feels natural.

My meals are eaten 4-5 hours apart. I eat 5 meals a day with Xtend and some carbs between meals. I wake up at 6 and go to bed at 11 so my day is long. On the weekend I will often eat only 4 meals because I can sleep in, but those meals would be larger.

Thanks Bob good to have you here.

fltallpaul
10-26-2010, 08:03 AM
I set a new PR last night getting 405 for 10 on the deadlift. The plates were not round and the bar was rotating in my hands which caused me to restet but regardless it felt great. Only 17 more reps and I have Doug Miller! lol.

zYun2gPbzRE

The Ox
10-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Paul,
What is the best training split, sets and reps for big and small muscle groups for natural bbs in your opinion ?
thanks!

fltallpaul
10-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Paul,
What is the best training split, sets and reps for big and small muscle groups for natural bbs in your opinion ?
thanks!

Wow that is a loaded question. I would say there is not best training split and that all variations of splits, sets and reps should be used.

I often train bodyparts twice a week, then go back to once a week. I will also do as few as 3 working sets or as many as 20. Reps range from 1 to 50. This all comes down to differnt training programs. Strength based vs hypertrophy based and even one program that does both in the same week which I use quite often.

I would say the most important thing to do is get in the gyma and lift. Don't over analyze things until you are more advanced(not you just beginners in general). You don't need to understand everything when you start. Just get in the gym and move some weight, get stronger in various forms and find what you like.

I personally feel at this point of my training, after 15 years, its more imprortant for me to get stronger to improve my physique.

DAVIDHARDY
11-29-2010, 04:11 AM
Man, you're shoulders are way ahead of those other guys. I really need to start hitting mine harder!

fltallpaul
11-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Man, you're shoulders are way ahead of those other guys. I really need to start hitting mine harder!

I think by far my shoulders are my strongest bodypart. I don't really ever train them directly other than a few sets at the end of a workout. I do feel like my chest and back are catching up and now I can start pounding them to see how much they can grow.

Thanks David!

fltallpaul
12-13-2010, 03:45 PM
I strained my right hamstring running the bases last Thursday but thankfully its nothing too bad. That along with my knee will make lower body power training a bit of a problem. I plan to test the waters over the next few days but will most likely focus more on some upper body weaknesses until I am ready to roll at 100% again.

fltallpaul
01-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Well it's 2011 and I am taking one more year to really pound the weights before I begin a year of competing. I am really happy with the progress I made in 2010. I competed in my first powerlifting meet and added some solid Personal Records to many lifts. Now It's time to lean up a bit and see where I still need some work. I am doing a 6 week cut to get myself into respectable shape before I head off to Australia for three weeks. When I get back it will be time again to bust it and make sure I leave no doubt I worked harder than those I am competing against.

I am starting the year off with a new routine and a new diet. I will be posting pictures and workouts over the next 6 weeks which will track the progess as I attempt to tighten up and lose a few lbs. I am working around a few nagging issues right now in my knee and lower back so I will be using exercises which don't further aggrivate them. For lower power I will use Hack squats which I am very fond of. I would like to do some stiff legged deadlifts for hamstrings but that may bother my back so I will see how that goes.

My contest weight last year was a little over 200lbs...I never did weigh myself on the day of the shows but based on my best guess I was around 205 fully filled out. Last night I stepped on the scale at 245lbs which is the heaviest I have ever been. This is a few lbs heavier than usual for me because of all the eating and drinking I did around the new year but no excuses as the next 6 weeks are going to bring some nice changes.
Last night started cardio with a 30 minute session. I will be doing 4 cardio sessions a week with 1 or 2 being High Intensity Interval Training. I have always had great success with this protocol. Ofcourse my diet and supplements will be spot on with Scivation by my side.

Here are some pictures from last night. I look forward to watching the changes over the next 6 weeks and the entire year as 2011 will be my last year before going all in in 2012. I plan to stay leaner and get stronger to really be my best ever next year.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Bodybuilding2011/FrontRelax.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Bodybuilding2011/RearRelax.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Bodybuilding2011/FrontDouble.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Bodybuilding2011/RearDouble.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Bodybuilding2011/SideChest.jpg

fitcorps
01-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Well this is very exciting. For one, your bakc is definitely wider and thicker, your chest is better, your arms are better and your shoulders are obviously super wide. Plus your legs are freaking DIALED right now!

Have a blast in Australia. Is this a 3 week vacation?

fltallpaul
01-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Well this is very exciting. For one, your bakc is definitely wider and thicker, your chest is better, your arms are better and your shoulders are obviously super wide. Plus your legs are freaking DIALED right now!

Have a blast in Australia. Is this a 3 week vacation?

Thanks buddy...yeah its a three week vacation to see my friend get married. Will have lots of R and R time and hopefully a few solid gym sessions.

fltallpaul
01-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Another update. Lost 7lbs the first week of the diet which means I really was quite bloated. I see some positive changes already and feel much better.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Bodybuilding2011/SideChest01_09_11.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Bodybuilding2011/FrontDB010911.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Bodybuilding2011/BackDB010911.jpg

Hopefully in a few more weeks the changes I have made really start to show....my back is always the place that fat stores burn off first.

flipmonk
01-11-2011, 08:13 AM
wow! those changes in 1 week are impressive! what's your new diet?!

sweed
01-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Glad I found this thread as I am 6'3" ( i like saying 6'2" cuz it sounds better , lol)
I am all natty now, and for good, and this is some great motivation man!
Nice work and keep on killing it! :)

fltallpaul
01-12-2011, 08:31 AM
wow! those changes in 1 week are impressive! what's your new diet?!

My diet id basically 5 meals a day spread out every 4-5 hours. My macros are 260p\300c\55f. I put a higher amount of carbs in my pre and post workout meals and not too much fat in those meals. I spread it around pretty evenly other than that.

Glad I found this thread as I am 6'3" ( i like saying 6'2" cuz it sounds better , lol)
I am all natty now, and for good, and this is some great motivation man!
Nice work and keep on killing it! :)

Funny you think shorter sounds better, that is only in bodybuilding, lol.

Thank you and I hope over the next year to really motivate and keep myself motivated for the stage!

adamrochester
01-13-2011, 04:32 AM
found you on here mate what were your macros before the cut ?

and have you started doing any cardio ?

fltallpaul
01-13-2011, 09:02 AM
found you on here mate what were your macros before the cut ?

and have you started doing any cardio ?

My Macros before my cut were 260\400\100

I am also doing 4 cardio session per week. Two 30 minute and two HIIT sessions. Thanks.

adamrochester
01-14-2011, 03:28 AM
thanks mate ill email you soon

fltallpaul
01-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Hit a new low this morning. Woke up at 232.5. Everything is moving very nicely right now.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Bodybuilding2011/sidechest-1.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Bodybuilding2011/rearlat.jpg

adamrochester
01-19-2011, 04:34 AM
looking good bro mad inspiration !!

what do you eat on a daily basis ? just an example if you dont mind like 5 of your meals you would eat ? maybe some of your fav foods ?

fltallpaul
01-19-2011, 04:25 PM
looking good bro mad inspiration !!

what do you eat on a daily basis ? just an example if you dont mind like 5 of your meals you would eat ? maybe some of your fav foods ?

Woke up at 232 today the day of my refeed of 500g of carbs. Just thought I post that.

Typical day of eating for me.

Meal 1 - Scivation Whey, Fiber One Bar, Almonds
Meal 2 - 7ozs Chicken, Rice, Almonds
Meal 3 - 7ozs Chicken, Sweet potatoe, almonds
meal 4 - 1 cup of eggs, 1 serving fat free cheese, Baked Lays
Meal 5 - 7ozs chicken, Rice Cakes, almonds

Supplements - Scivation Xtend, Scivation Essential Fatty Acids, Multi, Primafore Creatine, Scivation D-Apartic Acid, Scivation Quake 10.0, Primaforce Elastamine

That's pretty basic but thats it. I also use Tuna, Turkey and lean ground beef as well as steak from time to time. When I get deep into prep I like to use fish more, easier to digest.

adamrochester
01-20-2011, 06:05 AM
thanks allot for that man :)

couple of q's what rice do you tend to eat ?

and sweet potatoe do you eat it wit skin or skin of ? and do you bake it or steam them

and dahm wish i lived in the states aussies dont have baked lays !

sorry for the q's man i just need some variety with my foods i have 3 staple diets i mmake up but want to make some new ones with some new foods :)

adamrochester
01-20-2011, 06:10 AM
also another q sorry man how long do you usually bulk for ? do you like to get up to a certain weight or ?

and how long will you do a cut for ? and after the cut will you go straight back to your macros thta you had when bulking

cheers big dogg

fltallpaul
01-20-2011, 08:01 AM
thanks allot for that man :)

couple of q's what rice do you tend to eat ?

and sweet potatoe do you eat it wit skin or skin of ? and do you bake it or steam them

and dahm wish i lived in the states aussies dont have baked lays !

sorry for the q's man i just need some variety with my foods i have 3 staple diets i mmake up but want to make some new ones with some new foods :)

also another q sorry man how long do you usually bulk for ? do you like to get up to a certain weight or ?

and how long will you do a cut for ? and after the cut will you go straight back to your macros thta you had when bulking

cheers big dogg

I usually eat Jasmine Rice, I bake the potatoes in the oven and store them in the fridge. I reheat them as needed and don't eat the skin, although they are a good source of fiber.

My bulk was basically built around my power lifting. My goal was to add weight anytime I hit a plateau and it worked. My strength never leveled off going into my meet and I hit all Personal Records when I did my meet. Now My goal is to reduce some bodyfat and get back into higher volume training. My cut right now is just until I feel lean enough while still able to add strength. I am guessing I will stop around 220-225.

adamrochester
01-21-2011, 05:00 AM
thanks man appreciate that sounds good bra

cant wait to trian with ya will be mad ! do you know which part of melb you will be staying in ?

fltallpaul
01-24-2011, 12:56 PM
thanks man appreciate that sounds good bra

cant wait to trian with ya will be mad ! do you know which part of melb you will be staying in ?

I don't know where in Melbourne. I will probably have to tell you once I arrive as I have never been.

fltallpaul
01-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Sunday night update pictures. Wieght is unchanged this week. I feel like I over did the refeed at 500g of carbs on Wednesday. Cardio last night and tonight along with some intense legs should really get the rest of the spill gone. I expect to be around 230-231 in the AM by the end of the week. I leave for Australia in 16 days so there is time to make some progress. I may step up the cardio for the rest of the time I am here and really make a solid push. The next few weeks are also really heavy in the gym for the power days....this week is 90%, then 100%, then some new PR's hopefully.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Bodybuilding2011/RLSjpg.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Bodybuilding2011/SC.jpg

Gerb
01-24-2011, 01:23 PM
looking good Paul, you got some crazy lines in the quads on the side shot.

fltallpaul
01-25-2011, 01:43 PM
looking good Paul, you got some crazy lines in the quads on the side shot.

Thanks Steve...I am hoping to make lines appear all over next time I step on stage with some added muscle and a leaner physique.