PDA

View Full Version : boobs and front squats

tammyp
12-01-2009, 04:40 PM
i cant be alone here....i have to sit the bar higher on my chest than i should due to boobs, and it kills my wrists. anyone got any tips to work around this?

no wise asses either:p

Ninja Loco
12-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Maybe a Dave Draper Top Squat bar used from the front. Ive thought about it before it's just so expensive.

http://www.davedraper.com/fitness_products/product/TTS.html

SuperSnake
12-01-2009, 05:01 PM
The bar should rest on your shoulders and nowhere near your boobs. The bar should be right under your chin.

Lift your elbows more.

I might need to see a visual for me to understand the dilemma completely. :)

tammyp
12-01-2009, 05:52 PM
well when i hold the bar its across my upper chest..and it puts alot of stress on my wrists. i cant do the crossed arm grip like i see others doing,,are thier any other options?

amd NL..i do know what your talking about..my hubby said hed get me one til he saw the price.

Ninja Loco
12-01-2009, 05:56 PM
well when i hold the bar its across my upper chest..and it puts alot of stress on my wrists. i cant do the crossed arm grip like i see others doing,,are thier any other options?

amd NL..i do know what your talking about..my hubby said hed get me one til he saw the price.
My right hand said the same thing.....

ob205
12-01-2009, 06:08 PM
A Manta Ray is pretty reasonable and should alleviate this.

Youngguns
12-01-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm sure you consult with your right hand often...

powergirl
12-01-2009, 06:29 PM
The bar should rest on your shoulders and nowhere near your boobs. The bar should be right under your chin.

Lift your elbows more.

Ditto on this Tammy. Not sure what you're doing but the bar should be resting in the 'crook' of your shoulder with elbows in line with your shoulders throughout the whole movement. (Otherwise the weight will throw you forward and part of this exercise is to displace the center of gravity so less stress on lower back).

You will feel your mid-back and abs work a lot harder with front squats done this way...but perhaps you have a wrist or flexibility issue that we cannot see...so maybe PM with a pic if you don't want to get SuperSnake too excited by your chest-resting front squat form LOL LOL;)

HammerStrength12
12-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Bar should be on your clavicles - feels awkward since it presses on your throat, but you'll be fine. Easier on your back like one said. Try using a power clean grip too, I had to work on my wrist flexibility a lot to be able to do this, but it will absolutely pay off in the form of a much safer and more effective front squat

tammyp
12-02-2009, 06:24 AM
ok..i got the bar a bit low. ill try them a bit higher...i havent done these in ages, so its new lately.

mike ..my smith stinks!

powergirl
12-02-2009, 07:26 AM
I prefer them with a free squat bar, better for overall muscle develpment (abs, back) and also for allowing more ease of natural movement.

Try them with both though, see what you like, everyone is built a little differently! :)

sassy69
12-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Wrist flexibility is a huge deal w/ front squats - maybe consider that part of the prep towards improved form.

pfunk
12-02-2009, 03:19 PM
People who feel discomfort or have flexibility issues with their wrists tend to use straps to hold onto the bar with. See:

YouTube- Front Squat (Poliquin Style - with Wraps)

zander
12-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I cross arms is much easier ... that looks painful with arms out front .... bar kinda rests behind front delt as arms are pushed forward crossed and thumbs hooked under bar and fingers lock over ... lift elbows and the bar sits high , if it pushes down onto pecs then its too heavy maybe to manage safely .. go light does the job just fine , I used to like doing them off a milk crate or low box ..

djh0582
12-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Maybe a Dave Draper Top Squat bar used from the front. Ive thought about it before it's just so expensive.

http://www.davedraper.com/fitness_products/product/TTS.html I would luv this if i did alot of squats. Great peice of equipment.

HammerStrength12
12-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Was always under the impression that using a clean grip is a lot better than cross - maybe a weightlifter like Sistersteel or brotheriron would be better able to explain.

wildcat22
12-19-2009, 05:14 PM
i cant be alone here....i have to sit the bar higher on my chest than i should due to boobs, and it kills my wrists. anyone got any tips to work around this?

no wise asses either:p

Not being a wise ass but I wish I had your problem!! I got very little to work around when doing front squats.