PDA

View Full Version : Gyms in Cork Ireland

ccn916
12-03-2009, 04:57 PM
I am studying abroad spring semester at UCC in Cork Ireland. Anyone on here from the city? Which are the good gyms? If there are students how is the schools gym? Thanks.

Irish
12-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Im not from Cork but this could be a good link for you.

Looking for a good gym in Cork city - boards.ie

ccn916
12-04-2009, 06:28 PM
thanks

donkey15
12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I am living in cork ucc have a fantastic gym but very busy, Fitton street gym in the city center is very good about 400 euro years sub, jurys hotel has a nice gym 60 euro a month to use city aswell

irishmuscle
12-10-2009, 09:40 AM
ucc have a very nice gym,it can be quite busy tho, mayfield sports complex is not too bad and jurys too, middleton has a nice gym too,bout 15 miles from cork city. I run a gym in castlemaine,co kerry,its bout 70 miles from cork,i know you wount be able to train here cause its too far but if ur ever in the area,let me know and i will let u train here for free

ccn916
12-10-2009, 08:06 PM
ucc have a very nice gym,it can be quite busy tho, mayfield sports complex is not too bad and jurys too, middleton has a nice gym too,bout 15 miles from cork city. I run a gym in castlemaine,co kerry,its bout 70 miles from cork,i know you wount be able to train here cause its too far but if ur ever in the area,let me know and i will let u train here for free

Thanks for the feedback, and I will definitely keep that in mind if I am in the area. Thank you again.

ccn916
12-10-2009, 08:09 PM

By the way I am really excited to come visit. What is the bodybuilding culture like in Ireland? I hear all of the people in Ireland are very nice, what's your favorite part of living there?

irishmuscle
12-11-2009, 06:53 AM
By the way I am really excited to come visit. What is the bodybuilding culture like in Ireland? I hear all of the people in Ireland are very nice, what's your favorite part of living there?
the bb scene is very small in ireland, we have 2 federations,ribbf and nabba. there is about 3-4 shows a year but most shows get pros to guest,last few years we had branch,dennis james,bill willmore,gustavo baddell,markus ruhl and dennnis wolf. People on ireland are generally nice but you might find a few haters because your a bb,but i suppose you get them everywhere! My favourite thing about living here is that my family also live here,the weather sucks ass, living costs are expensive,gas prices are expensive and buying a car is expensive,i hate being so negative buddy but i dont want you to come over here with too high an expectation. the social scene is very good and you will enjoy going to the pub(if you drink). I lived in boston,MA for a few years and loved it,did some work in philly too. I love America,really. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask anytime.
also if ya need anything when you get here dont be a stranger,i will try to help you out if i can

Irish
12-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Irishmuscle is right lower your expectations.

Powerlifting and strong man are starting to gain popularity in Ireland.

The cost of living is high. Most social events revolve around alchohol. My advice is to pick a "good" gym and get to know a few of the regulars who will can show you the best places/pubs/clubs to go etc...

ccn916
12-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys, and Irishmuscle hopefully I'll have some time to make up to Kerry to at least say Hello , again, I appreciate the hospitality!

irishmuscle
12-12-2009, 04:24 AM
Irishmuscle is right lower your expectations.

Powerlifting and strong man are starting to gain popularity in Ireland.

The cost of living is high. Most social events revolve around alchohol. My advice is to pick a "good" gym and get to know a few of the regulars who will can show you the best places/pubs/clubs to go etc...
well said!
ccn,your welcome mate i will be on rx everyday so you can reach me here,or send a p.m. and i can give you my cell

ccn916
01-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Irish Muscle. I just got in on Saturday and turns out UCC's gym is closed until Feb. 18th because of all the flood damage. Anyway our school is giving away free passes to Leisure World in Bishopstown and Churchfield. What do you know about those two facilities? Are they worth hitting up? Or would I be better off doing push ups lol.

irishmuscle
01-06-2010, 05:52 AM
Irish Muscle. I just got in on Saturday and turns out UCC's gym is closed until Feb. 18th because of all the flood damage. Anyway our school is giving away free passes to Leisure World in Bishopstown and Churchfield. What do you know about those two facilities? Are they worth hitting up? Or would I be better off doing push ups lol.
leisure world is supposed to be ok from what ive heard,but ive never been there so cant say for sure,where r you staying? the number 8 bus will get u to bishopstown,not sure bout churchfield tho. if they dont work out for ya ive got a friend who is training in c.i.t. gym,not great but it would do the job for a month or 2,its 4 students of c.i.t only but he can get u in whenever u want. let me know how you get on.

ccn916
01-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Will do, thanks Irishmuscle. I am in Victoria Lodge and the number 8 bus goes right past me, so that would be perfect. The university also offers buses at certain times so it shouldn't be a problem getting there. I think I'll try it out then as soon as I can.

irishmuscle
01-06-2010, 08:48 AM
no problem bud,good luck