PDA

View Full Version : How much do you charge? (Personal Training)

Youngguns
03-02-2009, 02:17 PM
How much do you charge just to make a diet?
What if someone just wants to lose fat?

What are your rates?

Youngguns
03-02-2009, 02:23 PM
If someone just wants to lose fat, what type of training do you put them under?

indianamonster1986
03-02-2009, 02:26 PM
You still have that client that pays you $40 an hr?

Are you certified?

If your starting out I would charge $200 a diet until you build your rep and clientele up.

pnohe
03-02-2009, 02:34 PM
these answers are all based on my gym rates, people who actually come to see me.

I charge $75 an hour

I do not write up diets for people unless they are regular clients of mine. This is a huge mistake that many new trainers make. ALL of my clients (regardless of goal/ability) do some combination of resistance training, cardiovascular training and nutrition.

I work with a wide variety of clients and train between 8-10 hours per day monday-friday

DaveV
03-02-2009, 02:46 PM
I had to go to a mandatory fitness assessment today at my gym and then they put the hard sell on for $960 a month personal training (4 days a week for the month).

Johnny Phenomenon
03-02-2009, 02:49 PM
I had to go to a mandatory fitness assessment today at my gym and then they put the hard sell on for $960 a month personal training (4 days a week for the month).

Premier Fitness? lol

Sledge
03-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't charge a cent.

But PT's here usualy charge usualy from $30 an hour up to $100 and beyond if they specialize and have good reputation.
Also PTs are not allowed to write up diet plans here, you have to be a dietition to do that. I can however give diatary guidance and sugestions but I am not supposed to write up a plan or program.

derekanthony
03-02-2009, 02:55 PM

What are your rates?i have rich clientel out east ny were i live. 100$ a hour ususally make them sign a package. diet consultation one time fee 50$ or if its for say 12 weeks i charge 300$ and they have access to my cell,aim,email etc 24-7.

CLIENTS THAT DONT HAE A LOT OF $ i usually charge 70$ and 10$ goes to the gym were ever gym i go to and usually train them once a week or every 10 days. thats for more advanced that dont have $ but want to try no exciting routines! to perfect there build

either way im the best . cause im a 3 certification trainer have trained hundreds of people from all kinds. bodybuilders,old,young,guys that want to build muscle,loose fat etc. everyone is different thats why i like doing it. everyone is a challenge.

DA

www.derekanthony.com

Sledge
03-02-2009, 03:01 PM
And modest too :)

DaveV
03-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Premier Fitness? lol

Goodlife.... just as bad.

When I said I was on disability she look like I shot her in the stomach. "Sorry hun, I couldn't afford it even if I wanted it". So she pretty much wasted an hour or our time. But I found out how to work the machine that tests bodyfat %. So it wasn't all a loss.

I really like the facility though. My friend trains there, that's why I chose it.

John Romano
03-02-2009, 03:08 PM
$2,500 a month
Training 5 days a week for an hour
+Diet

Glenda Bozett
03-02-2009, 03:13 PM
My gym sets the rates, it is $79.00 an hour, packages runs from $825 3x a week to $1375 for 20 sessions of one hour.

What are your rates?

wavelength
03-02-2009, 03:21 PM
I charge nothing.

MUSCLEMUFFINS TEAM
03-02-2009, 03:22 PM
min 40 per session for friends and those who are suffering with the economy right now, it was 65, but times are hard for people now, and 85 for a diet!

Youngguns
03-02-2009, 03:24 PM
It would be nice if everyone gave their 0.2 cents so we can all get a really good idea.

Koubs
03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
I used to charge nothing... But i hated writing diets and/or training programs for people that didn't end up following it...

If people put forth some money and treat it like an investment in themselves, I've found they're MUCH more likely to stick to it and get results, and it makes it worthwhile for me... Also, now I have my degree in exercise science

I charge people $200 for diet programs after giving them a questionarre that they fill out... Then individualize the program based on their goals, time restrictions, etc... I'll do a diet and training program for $300... I give a general "12 week" time period to monitor their progress, make adjustments, etc...

The majority of my clients come from 'everyday people' that want to lose weight... My office job which has 150+ people has given me many clients

Jacquester
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
PT rates are set by the Club $60/hr $535/10 hrs; buy more spend less. Fairly standard in this area. I only do diets for regular clients and only if they are committed. Zero charge for mother-in-law.

musclegoddess65
03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't mind paying for a personal trainer... what I can't stand is knowing most of the money goes to the gym....but then again... I see a lot of PT that #1 are fatter than some of their clients and #2 teach horrid form and #3 are doing everything BUT paying attention to their client...

PJ BRAUN
03-03-2009, 10:33 AM
I charge $100 a session, or ten sessions up front for $800. My diet and other program fee's vary on the amount of time I spend consulting.

Jacquester
03-03-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't mind paying for a personal trainer... what I can't stand is knowing most of the money goes to the gym....but then again... I see a lot of PT that #1 are fatter than some of their clients and #2 teach horrid form and #3 are doing everything BUT paying attention to their client...

Stop watching me:D I do have to give most of the money to the gym; but I don't pay for the building, equipment, paperwork, etc. I have been guilt of #3 so I try to limit my clients to so many in a row so I don't lose concentration.

Youngguns
03-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Well I'm currently training a friend who makes pretty decent money (at least 50g's/year) and she really really really wants to lose weight. Shes 5'4'' 180 and wants to get to around 130. I'm thinking about charging $50 for the diet, and $20 per session.

Joshua H
03-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Mine is very variable pending what the client is looking for. I charge for diet alone, training alone, or diet and training together. I also do specialized contest prep rates for full 16 week preparation programs. I also adjust rates based on if it includes face to face training each week or not. I have clients who live beyond 50 miles from my gyms and so we do "distance coaching" per se. I am a contraced trainer through Anytime Fitness and a independent trainer as well.

I also work with high school and college athletes who want sport specific training programs for their sport. Or they need to add/drop weight for a sport based on coaches/parents wishes. These rates are also variable pending what they want from me.

I have a BS in Kinesiology, an MS nearly completed in Human performance, 3 national certs and over 11 clients who have competed in INBF contest including myself. I also have a handfull of incoming college athletes I have helped one on one. I base my rates off of a combonation of these credentials/experiences.

I dont claim to be the best of the best by any means but I am damn confident that every penny I charge is well spent by who ever I work with.

Joshua H
03-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Just a side not.....I am glad to see that there are so many TRUE trainers out there helping people get in shape and live a more healthy and active lifestyle. I swear by the bible that its trainers like us with bodybuilding/figure/fitness backgrounds who have the real world academic/gym/research insights to synthesize the best of all worlds so that the client gets the best possible results.

I cant stand trainers who are all dogma and hersey. The kind who do things because "it works cause I do it that way" Then we have the purest who stick to the textbooks like flys on shit with no room to adjust for individual variation.

On that note I had one guy who also contracts at my gym who gave some poor women during a free 1st workout a lecture on how creatine and ATP help her muscles contract. Then he proceded to give her the 411 on beta-oxidation while she did her cardio. She politely gave him a bunch of head nodds and "ok, ok, ok" replys. I have not seen her back since with him......sad sad story!

SallyAnne
03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Well I'm currently training a friend who makes pretty decent money (at least 50g's/year) and she really really really wants to lose weight. Shes 5'4'' 180 and wants to get to around 130. I'm thinking about charging $50 for the diet, and $20 per session.

That's really cheap. Charge more.

tammyp
03-03-2009, 05:56 PM
i live in butt fuck USA...and get less than big areas...for diet i do 75$ to start,,,50$ for modifications. training 40$ hour.

Youngguns
03-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Ahh, I don't want to say a crazy number.

How about, $75 for diet, and $25 per workout?

She also has access to my MSN, phone etc 24/7, and since she's my friend when we shoot the shit I give her a lot of tips and really explain everything about woking out/diet and most trainers would never do that.

So the goal is to go from 180 down to 130.

Should I charge everything from the start?

tammyp
03-04-2009, 06:24 AM
dont make the mistake of doing something for nothing. thats alot of weight and alot of time on your end. i look at it this way, i paid for my knowledge in form of certification, why cheat yourself and give it away? people take it more seriously when they have something invested.

BigJD69
03-04-2009, 08:28 AM
A buddy of mine does real well with the P.T. He will charge his wealthier clientele $100- per session, and his not so wealthy $40-$75.

Jacquester
03-04-2009, 11:10 AM
dont make the mistake of doing something for nothing. thats alot of weight and alot of time on your end. i look at it this way, i paid for my knowledge in form of certification, why cheat yourself and give it away? people take it more seriously when they have something invested.

Absolutely! You devalue what you know and do by not charging enough. Personal Trainiers, too often, underestimate the value of what we can do to change peoples lives. One of my clients was talking to me about Bob on The biggest Loser and I told her that I heard that he has a 4 month waiting list now and charges $250/ hr!! I couldn't imagine that what he can do is that much better than what another good trainer does and it's all about fame and being in LA. She told me that if that's how much money it would take her to get what I gave her she'd pay it. I was shocked and told her when her session package was up we needed to talk about the new rates;)

DaveV
03-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I've been fortunate to have people help me for free through the internet because I can't afford to pay them. I'm on disability so I don't have any extra money. Gregg Valentino gave me a lot of exercise advice and on another board a guy who's a PT gave me a free diet/training schedule. I guess they felt sorry for me, but it's really nice of them to do it and I'm thankful for it.

maximusmac
03-16-2009, 03:31 AM
Ahh, I don't want to say a crazy number.

How about, $75 for diet, and $25 per workout?

She also has access to my MSN, phone etc 24/7, and since she's my friend when we shoot the shit I give her a lot of tips and really explain everything about woking out/diet and most trainers would never do that.

So the goal is to go from 180 down to 130.

Should I charge everything from the start?

Never under sell yourself ever you need to make a living too you need to understand that and the same with a client now you state she is a friend this is the hardest part your training a friend if your going to look at this person as a friend and train them as one..you really can't charge them if your going to treat them and work with them as a client then you charge I not going to tell you what to charge could that is depended on so many things How long you been training people how much knowledge and experience in diet creation and understanding. just cause you read a mens health with a nutrition article does not make you a nutritionlist. now you could have extensive knowledge in both personal training and nutrition therefore you have the right to charge alot more than someone who never set foot in a gym.

Ryan Wacht
12-18-2010, 09:49 AM

So did your friend ever lose the weight?

Youngguns
12-18-2010, 10:02 AM
A buddy of mine does real well with the P.T. He will charge his wealthier clientele $100- per session, and his not so wealthy $40-$75.How do you go about that charging different prices? Learn their goals and then set a price basing on that? What if people call and ask what your rates are...?

So did your friend ever lose the weight?
She actually started at 190 and I got her down to 150 (she has really wide hips so 140 would be her "normal slender girl" look. I haven't trained her for about 6 months though.

Chrisplu
01-17-2011, 10:39 PM
That's crazy! I am a trainer at a Gold's in Florida. We have orientations but are not mandatory. The membership guys are misleading in explaining it, so I get a lot of upset people that think they are getting all the answers for free, but it's good face time. Not a huge fan of training FOR a gym, but just getting started, got to do it. They take almost half! That's why GYM training rates are high. Can't wait to get into my own thing!

Chrisplu
01-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Just a side not.....I am glad to see that there are so many TRUE trainers out there helping people get in shape and live a more healthy and active lifestyle. I swear by the bible that its trainers like us with bodybuilding/figure/fitness backgrounds who have the real world academic/gym/research insights to synthesize the best of all worlds so that the client gets the best possible results.

I cant stand trainers who are all dogma and hersey. The kind who do things because "it works cause I do it that way" Then we have the purest who stick to the textbooks like flys on shit with no room to adjust for individual variation.

On that note I had one guy who also contracts at my gym who gave some poor women during a free 1st workout a lecture on how creatine and ATP help her muscles contract. Then he proceded to give her the 411 on beta-oxidation while she did her cardio. She politely gave him a bunch of head nodds and "ok, ok, ok" replys. I have not seen her back since with him......sad sad story!
There are definitely a lot of trainers trying to prove a point about how much they "know" instead of showing what they understand. I got most of my clients from them seeing me push myself so hard on my break, when I train. I have very few people who want to look like me and range from very over weight to elderly women, but all were confident that I would push them to they're goals after an initial meeting and not the goals I had for them like some trainers. Everyone doesn't want to be ripped, or huge, just healthy. I have bodybuilders and athletes, but I am most proud of a client that came to me at 420 lbs and he is now down to right at 300 after 16 weeks and is still going strong!

Shariff Abel
01-18-2011, 01:07 AM
$2,500 a month
Training 5 days a week for an hour
+Diet

WOW Best Deal ever , 2,500 a month with the best and Famous John Romano! unbeatable price. :drool:

asdf
01-18-2011, 03:08 AM
How do you go about that charging different prices? Learn their goals and then set a price basing on that? What if people call and ask what your rates are...?

She actually started at 190 and I got her down to 150 (she has really wide hips so 140 would be her "normal slender girl" look. I haven't trained her for about 6 months though.

5'4 140 is not normal nor slender

HeavyDutyGuy
01-19-2011, 01:53 PM
For an hour $30- for my HITT FITT special - half hour for $20.
Place I work charges 100 for a single session and $50 for a package of a 100 sessions- all other rates in between,, I have got no clients from them in two months.

minibabe
01-19-2011, 03:46 PM
My trainer charges me a flat rate of $55 per session. And he writes everything down on a card for me and I meet with him every two or three weeks to rotate up my cards. I have access to him whenever I want though. He would have done a diet plan for me for free but I went with a different nutritionist

We are located in Long Island and at a private gym

JakcIeStaN
01-31-2012, 05:33 AM
I do not write up diets for people unless they are regular clients of mine. This is a huge mistake that many new trainers make. ALL of my clients (regardless of goal/ability) do some combination of resistance training, cardiovascular training and nutrition.

jewelisa
01-31-2012, 08:37 AM
Great thread ! I am in a wee town in NC and I am charging right now 40 hr or 30 if 10 sessions paid for. The gym takes $5. The other gym took 10 UGH ! Anyways the economic situaton Sucks and I am hoping to get more clients as this is my only source of income besides weekend salon receptionist and making figure suits ! And I really like training!!

I am seperated and he is not giving me a penny and he won't :no: Selling our house ( if it ever sells will just break even at this point ) OK enough poor me stuff my point was ....

Gonna try to say this without sounding full of myself ( which I am not ) I am actually quiet and shy in person til you get to know me...

That said I am being told

I am to pretty
I am a girl dudes will want a guy and girls intimated ?? wives will not let thier men train with me ?
To in shape ad to the I am a Nat. Level Figure comp. lol
I wear cute w/o outfits ( I do cover up when training )

These are reasons I am being told I do not have more clients.

I am trying to think of frugal ways to promote myself. Should I wear a shirt that says trainer on it ?? Was thinking of investing in a couple to wear over w/o cloths etal

I was asked about diet advice etc. In our area also we are not suppose to give diet plans either if not a nutritionist. I tell them I can offer ideas and such. But like mentioned above I really shoud not be doing this for free !

Expecially if they are not training with me???

I have 2 clients right now since coming back to training. My guy wants to train 5 days now and meet and chat ....Do you give special rates if a 5 day a week ?? Say monthly? The meet and chat thing I am being assured he is just that way. He is a Writer and x hippie type. I am the more reserved keep it biz type lol

Thanks for listening RX peers and I appreciate any advice ??? xoxox

Matt Knappick
01-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Great thread ! I am in a wee town in NC and I am charging right now 40 hr or 30 if 10 sessions paid for. The gym takes $5. The other gym took 10 UGH ! Anyways the economic situaton Sucks and I am hoping to get more clients as this is my only source of income besides weekend salon receptionist and making figure suits ! And I really like training!!

I am seperated and he is not giving me a penny and he won't :no: Selling our house ( if it ever sells will just break even at this point ) OK enough poor me stuff my point was ....

Gonna try to say this without sounding full of myself ( which I am not ) I am actually quiet and shy in person til you get to know me...

That said I am being told

I am to pretty
I am a girl dudes will want a guy and girls intimated ?? wives will not let thier men train with me ?
To in shape ad to the I am a Nat. Level Figure comp. lol
I wear cute w/o outfits ( I do cover up when training )

These are reasons I am being told I do not have more clients.

I am trying to think of frugal ways to promote myself. Should I wear a shirt that says trainer on it ?? Was thinking of investing in a couple to wear over w/o cloths etal

I was asked about diet advice etc. In our area also we are not suppose to give diet plans either if not a nutritionist. I tell them I can offer ideas and such. But like mentioned above I really shoud not be doing this for free !

Expecially if they are not training with me???

I have 2 clients right now since coming back to training. My guy wants to train 5 days now and meet and chat ....Do you give special rates if a 5 day a week ?? Say monthly? The meet and chat thing I am being assured he is just that way. He is a Writer and x hippie type. I am the more reserved keep it biz type lol

Thanks for listening RX peers and I appreciate any advice ??? xoxox
How about a snug fitting, polo with a catchy logo, polo with a logo looks very professional, and if it's tight, with high cut sleeves to show your physique, you will stand out.
I seen a few do something similar, I honestly dont know if it worked well or not, but it looked good

floridairon
01-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Ive got about 20-22 consistent clients at the Golds I train at, we charge $30 for 30 min and $45 for a hour. I always give new clients a free workout for 30 min and to sit down and talk about training, cardio and nutrition.

As for diet advice, Ill give all the little tip I can but as far a writing out full diets Ill only do that if Ive been training with the client for a few months and they are doing everything Ive recommended Ill sit down and we write out a diet using their schedule together.

Rawstrength
01-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Lots of good info in here

JakcIeStaN
02-04-2012, 02:55 AM
Pasadena Fitness (http://ultimatefitnessbreakthrough.com/redeem/fitness-trainer-in-pasadena-shows-quick-way-to-lose-weight/)