PDA

View Full Version : How many carbs per LB of bodyweight?

applemac
12-06-2009, 03:33 PM
I have been trying to figure out how many carbs per LB of bodyweight a person should consume to gain muscle or for cutting.

For bulking, one site says 1.5g per LB of bodyweight and another says 4g's.
I am rather lost with the true answer. I know everybody is different but is there a sorta rough estimate?.

tammyp
12-06-2009, 03:50 PM
for bulking i would stay start with 2g. you can always increase. if your a hard gainer, then you might go with 4x. i stick with about 1.5x or i gain too much fat.

applemac
12-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Thank you.

I am at 235lbs right now and pretty fit. I was running 4 - 5 miles per day for military purposes. Now only doing cardio 4 times per week at around 3 miles each. I have just been so overwhelmed by all the info out there. I would like to maybe get to around 245lbs muscular. I am 6ft 2, so this is probably ideal for my height. I gain and lose weight easy also.

tammyp
12-06-2009, 04:25 PM
i would say go high then.

Youngguns
12-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Start at 2grams. If you aren't gaining anything after 2 weeks, eat some more.

I just eat whatever I want, but since I've measured out food for a few years, I have a good eye.

mr intensity
12-06-2009, 09:35 PM
adjust according to the macronutrient ratios

200lbs, with 180lbs lean mass:

1.5g Protein per lb: 300g

.5g Fat per lb. of lean mass: 90g

1.5-2g Carbs per lb. of lean mass: 270-360

360-Carb split example:

Meal # 1. = High carb = 90g

Meal # 2. = Moderate carb = 60g

Meal # 3. = (pre-WO) Moderate/low carb = 40g

Meal # 4. = (post-WO #1)-(Shake) High Carb = 80g

Meal # 5. = (Post-WO #2)-(Meal) Moderate carb = 60g

Meal # 6. = (Low Carb) - 30g

Meal # 7. = (Zero Carb)

This is only an example, you'll need to find out what works best for you through trial & error

when u plateau add 400 to 500 calories in the form of complex carbs that wud be 100 to 125 grams of carbs

Sledge
12-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Id also suggest you work on Lean body weight not total body weight.

ArabMuscle
12-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Id also suggest you work on Lean body weight not total body weight.

Exactly. Carbs can be very tricky.

I don't condone a high carb intake. My macronutrient ratios go like this:
50p / 30f/ 20c
These are the ratios after I calculate my total calorie intake based on my daily activity expenditure.

I've witnessed nothing but lean gains and you wouldn't want anything but lean gains.

zander
12-09-2009, 03:48 PM
I have been trying to figure out how many carbs per LB of bodyweight a person should consume to gain muscle or for cutting.

For bulking, one site says 1.5g per LB of bodyweight and another says 4g's.
I am rather lost with the true answer. I know everybody is different but is there a sorta rough estimate?.

its not rocket science , dont let all the information on the net overwhelm you .... take your time working things out since its a lifestyle not a fad diet that lasts only 3 months looking for results. In time you will get a feel for what works for you ... everyone is different !

Keep it simple , eat a good wholesome clean and healthy diet , if your training hard then get some protien every meal every 3-4 hours , loads of vegies to keep your digestive system in balance, keep your saturated fats low because your probably end up eating more than the average human , get the good carbs into you too over the day, oats, rice , sweet potato etc .. you need to work for a living , and have the steam to train and dont want to be a zombie around family and friends .. so dont be scared of carbs.

Whole food ! most of the supplements are just going to suck your wallet dry...

Seriously if your going to bulk then do it slowly over 6-12 months and do it properly making slow lean gains... dont kill your heart with getting fat youll regret it latter...

In the words of one of my first coaches IFBB Pro Charlie Duca .. ' more food only equals more shit '

Ryan Wacht
12-12-2009, 10:44 PM
If you're bulking and assuming you're taking in enough protein, I would keep carbs as high as you can tolerate without getting fat.

RicanMuscle216
12-17-2009, 01:16 PM

360-Carb split example:

Meal # 7. = (Zero Carb)

This is only an example, you'll need to find out what works best for you through trial & error

when u plateau add 400 to 500 calories in the form of complex carbs that wud be 100 to 125 grams of carbs

Just wondering how you came about this? Any articles? What would it be for non-workout days?

miamibodybuilder
02-23-2011, 11:31 PM
well this question is going to get many different responses because every individual is different. my body reacts very well to carbs so i use 2g per pound of LEAN BODY WEIGHT, not total body weight. 4g would be for someone who is an extremely hardgainer, thats extremely high man. i think 1-2g is average in my opinion but you just gotta find out for yourself and experiment to see what works best for your body.

ZenFit
04-04-2011, 12:53 PM

360-Carb split example:

Meal # 7. = (Zero Carb)

yep listen to what he just said!

mr intensity
11-02-2011, 03:48 AM
Just wondering how you came about this? Any articles? What would it be for non-workout days?

On non training days you must drop the carbohydrates, but not the calories! to let`s say 50grams is your carbohydrate intake on Non Training Days and 350grams on training day. So if you consume 50 grams of carbs and drop 300 grams of carbs = 1200 calories, So now the question is how do we maintain the calories, ON NON TRAINING DAYS GO FOR HIGHER NUMBER OF FATS THAN, the training days. which comes out to be 34-35 grams of extra fat. (ON NON TRAINING DAYS).

YOU MUST MAINTAIN THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF CALORIES AS IN "calorie surplus",

carbohydrates are tricky: if you see your self "Bloated"
1. Then assume it as the first sign of fat gaining---"u cut down your carbs" body is not ready to digest

2. If you start looking flat:- then assume it as glycogen depleted state and increase the carbs

hope this helps
mr intensity