PDA

View Full Version : GirlyMuscle's Hangout

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

GirlyMuscle
12-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I know..not a very imaginative title for a thread. I'll change it when I think of something better.

Well, it's off season time. :D I finally get to say that since I competed.

As most of my friends here know, I'm spending my winter in the Australian summer with Sledge. He's going to train me while I'm here. This will be new to me. I've never had anyone train me in the gym. I've always worked out on my own. Sledge is very knowledgeable and a certified trainer. We start on Wednesday and I can't wait!

I haven't trained at all since my show. I needed the break. Six months of contest dieting was exhausting but now I'm rested and very ready to go.

I'm not sure if I'll post every workout. I have to get used the metric system. I'll try to post in pounds. I will post pics as well.

I haven't chosen a show yet for 2010. Sledge and I have to talk about it and plan things more. I'm thinking it will be August/Sept. I competed at 135 but should have been about 10 pounds leaner. Conditioning will be the main goal once I start to cut.

For now, I'll be working on building more delts and arms. I also want to change the look and quality of my glutes. I'm also going to train abs more. I'll come clean...I never train abs. Ever. Not even during my contest prep. I could come up with lots of excuses but the true reason is I hate training them. Gotta suck it up now and do it anyway.

So three weeks after my show, I'm weighing in at 151 pounds. I don't want to put on too much more weight. I do have a mental problem with the scale numbers. To relieve that and keep it from inhibiting my progress, I'm still going to weigh-in but not look at the number. Sledge will and he'll monitor my progress and make the necessary changes. He's also calculated and planned my diet. I'm just going to trust him and his plan. I have complete confidence in him. That's something I learned from Suzanne Germano. Trusting her trainer Jeremy relieves the stress on her and allows her to enjoy the process.

The plan is to follow a MAX-OT training plan. I'll do the 16 minute HIIT cardio required but in addition I will do quite a bit of low intensity cardio because I will be biking to and from the gym and just about anywhere else I want to go. My diet is Dave's off season plan. Basically, it's his protein/fat part of the contest diet but we'll add carbs slowly, starting at 2-3 meals a day and upping that as Sledge sees fit. That should allow for growth without getting too fat.

I can't wait to get started!

SallyAnne
12-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Woop! First in!

musclemilf
12-06-2009, 09:20 PM
yeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssss!

stephaniewicked
12-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I love your honesty. I don't train abs as much as I should... I had my training partner talk me into it on Friday night. When I put my head to it, I do it but otherwise I'll throw in only a few sets of stuff a couple times a week and I know that isn't enough to make progress.

Anyway, on a non-training/non-diet-related note... What else are you planning to do during your time down under? It isn't winter there right now, is it? I hope you keep us posted on all the other fun stuff too! I've always wanted to go to Australia! Have a safe flight!!

Ninja Loco
12-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Prescribed!!

partsRheavy
12-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Yeah!!!! Looking forward to reports of lots of 20kg plates goin' places!!!!:lift:

Don't try to convert everything. It can be Googled easily, and sometimes Google returns an impressive lifting video, as it did when I Googled "250 kg lbs"

Quick chart -

1kg = 2.2 lbs
5 kg = 11 lbs
10 kg = 22 lbs
15 kg = 33 lbs
20 kg = 44 lbs
25 kg = 55 lbs
40 kg = 88 lbs
50 kg = 110 lbs
75 kg = 165 lbs
80 kg = 176 lbs
100 kg = 220 lbs
140 kg = 308 lbs
150 kg = 330 lbs

and for those monster leg presses...

250 kg = 550 lbs!!!!!:p

And, don't look at that metric bathroom scale!!

GirlyMuscle
12-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks parts. Hey...do you have a name we can use in conversation? Doesn't have to be your real one. I just feel werid calling you "parts."

Actually, Sledge did make up a laminated chart like you just posted. He's created my training log as well. He's too organized. LOL

And I DID use the bathroom scale. Looks weird to see "68.8" come up instead of 151something.

I'll be posting my Australian Adventures in my other thread. Not that we can't talk here. Anyone who knows me knows I love to chat! Not to rub it in (yes it is) it's summer here...sunny and 26C (79F). :D

It's Monday so two more days til training starts!

Ninja Loco
12-06-2009, 11:48 PM
I need to hire Sledge........ but only if he trains me personaly and spots me on squats. I'll help with the fencing if he flies me in.

GirlyMuscle
12-06-2009, 11:51 PM
You have a crush, don't you?

Ninja Loco
12-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Im not tellin...........

partsRheavy
12-06-2009, 11:57 PM
That is so cool that sledge created a chart!!!!

You can say PRH, and if you get mad, PartsFarts LOL! (It happens when I have whey or eggs....):p

GirlyMuscle
12-07-2009, 12:00 AM
OMG! My farts were deadly at the end of my contest prep. I couldn't even stand myself! Now I'm back to normal.

GirlyMuscle
12-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Im not tellin...........

And YOU! Go get your own Australian! I'm not sharing!

Ninja Loco
12-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Why you selfish little tart you........

stephaniewicked
12-07-2009, 12:40 AM
I didn't realize you were there already. You missed all the snow yesterday... I'm sure you didn't mind though! :p I gotta check the hangout thread more.

buckimscl
12-07-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm following along Erin.

GirlyMuscle
12-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Very cool! THe more the merrier!

It'll be interesting to me to see what my starting weights will be. I'm sure much lower than I'm used to. During my 6 month contest prep they dropped considerably towards the end and like I said I haven't trained in 3 weeks. Actually, 4 if I count the week prior to the comp. I wasn't worth shit that week.

buckimscl
12-07-2009, 01:15 AM
What time is it on Oz?

GirlyMuscle
12-07-2009, 02:21 AM
You're central time? Then I'm 12 hours ahead of you...into the future. I time traveled to get here.

buckimscl
12-07-2009, 02:50 AM
Nope EST here. Did you drive the Delorean with the flux capacitor????

GirlyMuscle
12-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Then I'm 13 hours into your future. Yep, even at 88 mph that damned Delorean took 26 hours to get me here. I gotta have the Dr Brown tune it up.

buckimscl
12-07-2009, 03:15 AM
LMFAO!! So how long are you living in Sledgeland??

GirlyMuscle
12-07-2009, 03:16 AM
Until we get sick of each other.

GirlyMuscle
12-07-2009, 03:25 AM
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs, and comes up short and short again-because there is no effort without error and shortcomings-who does actually try to do the deed, who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly."

But I'm not gonna fail. :D

buckimscl
12-07-2009, 03:26 AM
Until we get sick of each other.
Hmmm, don't see that happening anytime soon. :)

GirlyMuscle
12-07-2009, 03:29 AM
Well, my return ticket is booked for March 1st or something but we've decided to go to the Australian Pro show in Melbourne and it's mid March. So we'll have to change it the return flight. We're gonna kinda wing it and see how things go. I would like to compete in August/Sept so....who knows....

buckimscl
12-07-2009, 03:31 AM
Well, my return ticket is booked for March 1st or something but we've decided to go to the Australian Pro show in Melbourne and it's mid March. So we'll have to change it the return flight. We're gonna kinda wing it and see how things go. I would like to compete in August/Sept so....who knows....
That's cool. The Aussie Pro huh?? Nice! I am still doing the Masters Challenge for the Arnold and probably a show in the fall. I'll be posting progress pics this week. The only person seeing them so far has been Fitbody who is doing my prep.

GirlyMuscle
12-07-2009, 03:36 AM
I just saw that about Dawn prepping you. Good job so far! Have you picked a fall show? I want to do Aug/Sept. So far I'm thinking the Delaware, the Maryland or the Continental in IL.

I just wish the Aussie Pro had chickie bbers. Oh well.

buckimscl
12-07-2009, 03:40 AM
She is great! I haven't settled on a fall show yet but I am thinking about something in the Sept time frame. that will be 6 months from the challenge and I just won't let myself get out of hand so I should be able to dial things in.

GirlyMuscle
12-07-2009, 03:42 AM
Continental is September. It's a good show, decent size, national qualifier.

buckimscl
12-07-2009, 03:45 AM
Not sure for my first actual show how big I want to go. I thought about trying a local show in the tri-state area? Not really sure yet.

GirlyMuscle
12-07-2009, 04:18 AM
The Continental isn't huge. I think they get like 80 competitors. On second thought I guess that's pretty many. With crossovers it would be around 100.

What shows are you thinking about?

buckimscl
12-07-2009, 04:21 AM
There is a Tri State in Erie in October. Not sure of the dates. I'll be looking at some of the schedules after first of the year because mnay of them aren't finalized till then.

Gerb
12-07-2009, 06:58 AM
sub'd

GirlyMuscle
12-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Today's the day! I'm so excited!

Weighed in at 68.6kg which translates to 151.24 pounds. I'll post up after the gym and hopefully with some pics.

I'll start my meal plan here and edit as the day goes. I think we're having a cheat meal tonight. It's been a week so I'm ready.

meal 1 6am 2 whole eggs, 1 c egg whites
meal 2 9am 1/2 oats, 1 scoop chocky protein powder, 1T mac nut oil
meal 3 12 .......

SallyAnne
12-08-2009, 08:29 PM
lol chalky protein powder. Tell him to get some Isolyze, for jeebuses sake. :D

Suzanne
12-08-2009, 08:31 PM
I will be following along :yep:

GirlyMuscle
12-08-2009, 08:37 PM
LOL...Chocky is Sledge's description of Chocolate. It's good actually. I'm trying to learn to speak Australian. hee hee

SallyAnne
12-08-2009, 08:42 PM
LOL...Chocky is Sledge's description of Chocolate. It's good actually. I'm trying to learn to speak Australian. hee hee

Speak American, dammit.

http://www.americansweets.co.uk/ekmps/shops/statesidecandy/images/velveeta-cheese-8oz-stick-when-it-s-gone-it-s-gone--3484-p.jpg

GirlyMuscle
12-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Ewwww...Velveeta. What brought that up?

edit:..nevermind...I see...American. LOL

SallyAnne
12-08-2009, 08:48 PM
It's American. lol

GirlyMuscle
12-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Yield signs over here say "give way." It makes me giggle when I see that.

SallyAnne
12-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Yield signs over here say "give way." It makes me giggle when I see that.

have you tried vegemite yet?

GirlyMuscle
12-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Hell no. I heard it's disgusting. I guess I'll have to give it a whirl though since I'm here. I'll put it on the shopping list.

Other funny things...toilets have buttons not handles. One for a half flush, the other for a full flush. And they go by the saying, "If it's yellow let it mellow. If it's brown flush it down." They're all big about water conservation here. So I guess I'll do my part by showering WITH Sledge. :D

Drugstores are Chemist shops. And they only carry drugs. No makeup, hair products, candy, soda.

Soda is a soft drink. Sledge's sister laughed when I called it soda.

Screen doors have a different name. I think he called it a fly wire door.

They have no pennies. Everything gets rounded off. They have no paper $1 or $2. Both are coins. Money is almost plastic feeling and is very colorful and all different sizes.

SallyAnne
12-08-2009, 09:10 PM
where do you buy makeup and other girly stuff?

GirlyMuscle
12-08-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't know. No Wal-Marts here but they do have K-Mart. I don't buy expensive makeup. I don't think I'll be wearing much more than sunblock anyway.

I walked down to the little store on the corner the other day just to see what was in there. It's a deli/convenience store. I like looking ta the products since there's very few I recognize. Even stuff that we have is packaged differently.

GirlyMuscle
12-08-2009, 09:23 PM
OH! And they have drive thru bottle shops! It looks like one of our quickie oil change places or a car wash. You drive in, order your alcohol, pay for it and drive thru. I couldn't believe it. I gotta get a pic of that.

SallyAnne
12-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I don't know. No Wal-Marts here but they do have K-Mart. I don't buy expensive makeup. I don't think I'll be wearing much more than sunblock anyway.

I walked down to the little store on the corner the other day just to see what was in there. It's a deli/convenience store. I like looking ta the products since there's very few I recognize. Even stuff that we have is packaged differently.

Every time I travel out of the country, I make it a point to go to a grocer to see what interesting stuff they have. I even do it when I travel some place new in the US. I went to a gourmet grocer while in FL. They had valet parking. lol I bought a bag of red, seedless grapes that were the size of golf balls.

Tu Holmes
12-08-2009, 09:26 PM
OH! And they have drive thru bottle shops! It looks like one of our quickie oil change places or a car wash. You drive in, order your alcohol, pay for it and drive thru. I couldn't believe it. I gotta get a pic of that.

They have that in North and South Carolina... They are called "Brew Thru"s there.

GirlyMuscle
12-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Sally...are you sure they weren't plums?

GirlyMuscle
12-08-2009, 09:28 PM
They have that in North and South Carolina... They are called "Brew Thru"s there.

I knew they had walk up daquiri jiont sin The Big Easy (not to be confused with The Big Sexy) but I didn't know that about NC and SC. Never been there. I wonder if there's a higher rate of alcohol related traffic incidents?

SallyAnne
12-08-2009, 09:28 PM

they have them here in Arizona, too. Liquor Barn. lol Smaller mom/pop places sometimes also have drive throughs.

...and they weren't plums. lol GRAPES - HUGE GRAPES - and they tasted like candy. Best I've ever had - but that could be because I haven't been able to eat any for months...

Tu Holmes
12-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I knew they had walk up daquiri jiont sin The Big Easy (not to be confused with The Big Sexy) but I didn't know that about NC and SC. Never been there. I wonder if there's a higher rate of alcohol related traffic incidents?

Nah... Mostly they are just on the coasts by the beaches... you drive up... grab your booze then get over to the sand. It probably causes less, because you don't have to stress over the beer run. (I know there's not a real correlation, but it works for me).

I, myself, have been drinking all day today... I had a beer in my hand when the boss walked into the office at 11:00 and I haven't stopped yet.

GirlyMuscle
12-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Being from PA we have some of the strictest liquor control laws. We can only buy alcohol in state stores or beer distributors. All liquor is sold by the state. Beer by individual business owners. No alcohol is sold in grocery stores, convenience stores, walmarts, etc. So when I go anywhere that does it differently it freaks me out. I remember years ago the first time I saw alcohol in a grocery store I was floored. I just walked up and dow the isles with my mouth hanging open in awe.

GirlyMuscle
12-08-2009, 09:40 PM
As a side note...actually it's not since this is a training journal...but...I just wanted to say I'm going to be using this stuff to tan for my next show. I wasn't happy with Protan. I didn't get dark enough wiht four coats and gosh darn I'm not gonna layer 5, 6, etc coats.

From the Tan Man

www.pke.com.au

Tu Holmes
12-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Being from PA we have some of the strictest liquor control laws. We can only buy alcohol in state stores or beer distributors. All liquor is sold by the state. Beer by individual business owners. No alcohol is sold in grocery stores, convenience stores, walmarts, etc. So when I go anywhere that does it differently it freaks me out. I remember years ago the first time I saw alcohol in a grocery store I was floored. I just walked up and dow the isles with my mouth hanging open in awe.

Virginia is also the same... You have to do the ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) store.

The local corner liquor stores are a great thing.

I think the fact that Pennsylvania and Va. are both commonwealths may have something to do with their strict laws.

Other commonwealths also have very harsh liquor laws it seems... Kentucky being one of them.

GirlyMuscle
12-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Tonight will be a cheat meal....with some Australian red wine. Sledge hooked a couple of bottles that were left over from his work Xmas party. :D

He just texted to tell me he's on his way home. So now I post, look out the front door, post, look out the front door, post...now I'm off to the front door....

GirlyMuscle
12-08-2009, 09:45 PM
*siiiighhhhh*

Tu Holmes
12-08-2009, 10:06 PM
*siiiighhhhh*

:no:

GirlyMuscle
12-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Sledge is home! YAY!!!

sweetjane57
12-09-2009, 12:05 AM
this one is gonna be soooo FUN!!!!!

Great to hear you are well and having a blast....

you will have to keep on with the Aussie stories, I lol'd a ton reading this!

partsRheavy
12-09-2009, 12:55 AM
The funny thing about drive-through's in NC is that:

A certain mostly rural county has been completely dry for many years. Then, the largest town passes a referendum on alcohol sales. Now, there's a drive-through beer place that looks like a car wash there. (As if beer weren't available at the grocery store).

There aren't drive-through places in the other nearby counties. Beer/wine is sold in grocery stores and mini-marts and liquor is sold at the ABC stores.

GirlyMuscle
12-10-2009, 04:32 AM
What a way to restart training....leg day! We're doing MAX-OT as it's written. Feels like not enough because I'm used to 3-4 working sets of 8-10 reps. Holy Cow, got out of the car and my hamstrings are already achy and tight. I have to use kgs in stead of lbs so I'll post the conversion to lbs in parenthesis. All my weights are much lower than I usually lift. Gimme a couple of weeks to get back into the swing of things.

Squats
w/u sets
1x10@bar
2x10@40 (88)
acclimation sets
1x1@60 (132)
working sets
3x6@90 (198)

Leg Press
1x6@200 (441)
1x6@240 (529)

Stiff Leg Deads
1x6@120 (264)
1x6@130 (285)
Holy crap! I never did stiff leg deads with more than 185lbs.

Standing calf raises
1x8@120 (264)
1x6@ 160 (353)

Seated Calf Raises
1x8@20 (44)
1x8@30 (66)

Weird that I can lift so much more on standing calf than seated. I tried 90lbs but no way.

tammyp
12-10-2009, 06:10 AM
how are you liking the gyms down under?

Gerb
12-10-2009, 06:56 AM
What a way to restart training....leg day! We're doing MAX-OT as it's written. Feels like not enough because I'm used to 3-4 working sets of 8-10 reps. Holy Cow, got out of the car and my hamstrings are already achy and tight. I have to use kgs in stead of lbs so I'll post the conversion to lbs in parenthesis. All my weights are much lower than I usually lift. Gimme a couple of weeks to get back into the swing of things.

Squats
w/u sets
1x10@bar
2x10@40 (88)
acclimation sets
1x1@60 (132)
working sets
3x6@90 (198)

Leg Press
1x6@200 (441)
1x6@240 (529)

Stiff Leg Deads
1x6@120 (264)
1x6@130 (285)

Standing calf raises
1x8@120 (264)
1x6@ 160 (353)

Seated Calf Raises
1x8@20 (44)
1x8@30 (66)

Weird that I can lift so much more on standing calf than seated. I tried 90lbs but no way.

Wow, great job on he SLDL, I predict DOMS on the hams!

I think that is normal on the calves, seated vs standing strength.

GirlyMuscle
12-10-2009, 08:22 AM
I've only been to the one we went to today. The Warehouse in Freemantle. It's not the one I'll normally be going to but I liked it a lot. It was the type most of us like. Kinda dark, old equipment that worked just fine, plenty of weights. When we were squatting an older gentleman came up to us and asked if we were training for powerlifting. Sledge told him no, he just lifts and I compete in bodybuilding to which the man replied I didn't think I'd seen either of you on the powerlifting circuit. I get that a lot....people asking me if I'm a powerlifter.

Ninja Loco
12-10-2009, 10:16 AM
I love it!! :)

sweetjane57
12-10-2009, 07:01 PM

Squats
w/u sets
1x10@bar
2x10@40 (88)
acclimation sets
1x1@60 (132)
working sets
3x6@90 (198)

Leg Press
1x6@200 (441)
1x6@240 (529)

Stiff Leg Deads
1x6@120 (264)
1x6@130 (285)

Standing calf raises
1x8@120 (264)
1x6@ 160 (353)

Seated Calf Raises
1x8@20 (44)
1x8@30 (66)

same way here.....

ok and YEA...THOSE SLDL #'s...WTF????? 285lb x 6!!!!!!!!!!! INSANE!

GirlyMuscle
12-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I love it!! :)

Thanks Sweetie. You ain't seen nothing yet. ;)

I'll come clean. I have not trained legs in about 3-4 months. I was doing so much cardio for the show and I know I have decent legs so I let the leg training slip so I could concentrate on burning off fat with cardio. I also haven't lifted AT ALL in the last month. I just felt I needed the recovery. So I was pretty satisfied with this workout.

I don't really have DOMs yet. (It's the next day here) Just a little tightness in my hammies. Then again, leg DOMs usually take a little more time to hit me than other body parts.

GirlyMuscle
12-10-2009, 07:11 PM
same way here.....

ok and YEA...THOSE SLDL #'s...WTF????? 285lb x 6!!!!!!!!!!! INSANE!

Yeah...It just goes to show how limiting the mind can be. Because everything is in kgs here I didn't know what poundage I was lifting. It was only after I did and made the conversion that I was like..WTF?!?!?! And I started that set from the floor like a regular deadlift so it was one deadlift and 6 SLDL. My someday goal is a 300 pound deadlift set. I see that in the very near future. :D

SallyAnne
12-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks Sweetie. You ain't seen nothing yet. ;)

I'll come clean. I have not trained legs in about 3-4 months. I was doing so much cardio for the show and I know I have decent legs so I let the leg training slip so I could concentrate on burning off fat with cardio. I also haven't lifted AT ALL in the last month. I just felt I needed the recovery. So I was pretty satisfied with this workout.

I don't really have DOMs yet. (It's the next day here) Just a little tightness in my hammies. Then again, leg DOMs usually take a little more time to hit me than other body parts.

You actually burn more calories during a leg workout than any other, really. lol I know what your schedule and life was like, though - so understand completely.

karenfromcali
12-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Erin!!! You look amazing in your comp photos!!!!:hot:

GirlyMuscle
12-10-2009, 09:06 PM
You actually burn more calories during a leg workout than any other, really. lol I know what your schedule and life was like, though - so understand completely.

Yeah, it wasn't so much that I thought cardio burned more calories, it's that I knew if my legs were too DOMsy I wouldn't get the cardio done. At the end of my prep I was on 2 1/2 hours a day.

SallyAnne
12-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah, it wasn't so much that I thought cardio burned more calories, it's that I knew if my legs were too DOMsy I wouldn't get the cardio done. At the end of my prep I was on 2 1/2 hours a day.

I was with you. lol

Not being able to work out was what screwed me in the end. I couldn't even hold the bar to do squats, so had to stretchy band myself to death. I seriously wanted someone to shoot me. lol

You are correct in that your legs were awesome. This is something I need to build back up - my hammies, especially.

GirlyMuscle
12-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Erin!!! You look amazing in your comp photos!!!!:hot:

Thanks, hun!

Gaoshang Xiongshou
12-10-2009, 09:50 PM

Squats
w/u sets
1x10@bar
2x10@40 (88)
acclimation sets
1x1@60 (132)
working sets
3x6@90 (198)

Leg Press
1x6@200 (441)
1x6@240 (529)

Stiff Leg Deads
1x6@120 (264)
1x6@130 (285)

Standing calf raises
1x8@120 (264)
1x6@ 160 (353)

Seated Calf Raises
1x8@20 (44)
1x8@30 (66)

It looks like the Tank is rolling again :)

GirlyMuscle
12-11-2009, 06:03 AM
Sledge and I are trying to work out what body parts on what days...taking into consideration his work schedule and injured shoulder. So we did back and traps today. Even though we did SLDLs yesterday we had to do deads today.

We started out with bent over rows. Believe it or not, 10 yrs of training and I've never done them, so I had to do more acclimation sets to figure out weights.

bent over b/bell rows
w/u
3x10@25kg (55lbs)
acclimation
1x1@30 (66)
1x1@50 (110)
1x1@70 (154)
So that felt good. Moved the weight to 80kg (176) but I could only get 3 good reps so I backed up to 70 (154) where I got 6 good reps. The following set I added 5kg and got 4 reps. So...

working sets
1x3@80
1x6@70
1x4@75

close grip pulldowns
1x6@60 (132)
1x6@70 (154)
1x5@75 (165)

AS I typed this I can't believe I actually did 165. I've never done that much for close grip before. I didn't convert the weights from kg to lbs until just now.

So after close grips I moved on to pull ups. Well, assisted pullups. I had to put 36kg (80) just to haul my fat ass up. That got me really pissy.

ASSISTED pullups
2x6@36 (80)

Cable Rows
1x6@50 (110)
1x6@60 (132)

Way too easy. I'll have to go up next week.

Deadlifts

Set up the bar with 286 and couldn't pull one. Very annoyed. I know I was depleted and I did SLDL with the same weight yesterday. I shouldn't have tried it. When I couldn't pull it I got even more pissed off, pulled off some plates, mumbles something like "fucking pussy weights" and did my sets.

1x0@130 ( 286)
2x6@ 110 (242)

Barbell shrugs
1x 6@50 (110)
1x6@70 (154)

Food:

meal 1 1/2c oatmeal, 1T mac nut oil, 1 scoop protein powder
meal 2 3 whole eggs, 1/2c egge whites
meal 3 150g salmon, 1/2 rice
meal 4 pwo shake, 2 scoops pro powder, 25g dextrose
meal 5 150g steak, salad with mac nut oil dressing
meal 6...I dunno yet....probably cottage cheese

I haven't done any cardio the last couple of days. I'm going to start biking in the mornings before the winds get too strong. In the afternoons here, the winds kick up from the beach and it's hard cycling into it.

Gotta run...steaks are ready to go on the grill!

sassy69
12-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Putting up some REALLY nice numbers there GM!

And yes, there's nothing like the day AFTER the day after your first day back on legs.... If you have access to a foam roller, break that bad boy out! Joe DeFranco has a great leg day warmup sequence called the Agile Eight:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html

Particularly if you're finding yourself going back into the gym after some time off, and also eating & training for big PRs, the more "support" you give your body to handle it, the better off you are! Otherwise you'll find what you used to be able to brute-force your way thru, all of a sudden you get lots of little tweaks that will start to cause problems.

As an > 40 BB, the DeFranco stuff is one of the greatest tools I"ve added to my aresenal. I never really spent a lot of time stretching - I'd do a 5 min bike warmup - but stuff like active warmup and foam roller will make your performance much better and w/ less pain as you go forward. The other major thing I've adopted is a lot of ATF squats - these day I have to do a couple sets of bodywt squats just to be sure my ankles, knees, hips and lower back are all aligned and won't start tweaking on me.

Gerb
12-11-2009, 02:11 PM
heavy rowing and deads GM! Impressed!

buckimscl
12-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Nice numbers GM. Tell Sledge I said hey!

GirlyMuscle
12-13-2009, 06:06 AM
Today was a quickie. Biceps and abs.

Straight bar curls
w/u
[email protected] (27.5lbs)
acclimation sets
1x1@20 (44)
1x1@30 (66)
working sets
1x6@35 (77)
1x1@40 (88)
1x6@35 (77)

hammer curls
1x6@15 (33)
[email protected] (38.5)
1x6@15 (33)

EZ Bar curls
1x6@30 (66)

Way too easy so next time I'll go up.

Hanging Leg lifts
1x12 @ bodyweight
1x9@bodyweight

Cable crunches
2x8@50 (110)

Never did these before either. I can easily take the weight up on these as well.

Food:

meal 1 100g steak, 3 whole eggs
meal 2 pwo shake, 2 scoops protein powder, 25g dextrose
meal 3 150g ground turkey, 1 c salad with olive oil
meal 4 150g ground chicken, 1/2 rice
meal 5 150g salmon, 1/2 rice
meal 6 1c cottage cheese

SallyAnne
12-13-2009, 03:30 PM
How do you like the diet?

GirlyMuscle
12-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Better than contest and it's holding my weight but I get annoyed at still being ON a diet. It's not the foods but more the feeling of still depriving myself. Yet, I'm not really depriving myself. I mean, if I want some wine or a bowl of ice cream I could go eat it, but I'm trying to keep the cheat meal thing under control. It's hard to explain. When it is cheat meal time and Sledge asks me what I want I have no idea. It's not that I want any one thing in particular. I guess after hard contest dieting for 6 months I've gone the other way and I resent being told (by a diet protocol) what to eat and not eat. It's still a mental game.

Ninja Loco
12-13-2009, 04:40 PM
It's still a mental game.
That you have beat many times before..... should be no different now.

GirlyMuscle
12-13-2009, 05:00 PM
You're right, sweetie. :) I will.

It's just a matter of attaining balance in my brain. I liken it to a pendulum. Contest dieting is one extreme and when you swing the bob hard to one side and then let go (stop the diet) it has no choice but to swing the other way.

Another thing is that I contest dieted for 6 months. THen I pigged out for three weeks. Now I'm on a plan and it's taking getting used to that again.

slumcookie
12-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Lol! you are a funny gal. I look forward to reading how you acclimate yourself to Australian life :-)
and my god, you are STRONG!

Why are you on a diet still if your next show isn't til August?

GirlyMuscle
12-13-2009, 05:52 PM
I use the word "diet" to mean a nutritional plan. It's not calorie restrictive like a contest diet. It's a plan drawn up to allow me to gain muscle mass over the next several months.

slumcookie
12-13-2009, 06:37 PM
I get it. So does this mean you'll be eating some kangaroo steaks soon? I heard they're super lean and quite tasty...

GirlyMuscle
12-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Oh hell yeah. I'm looking forward to trying kangaroo. Lamb is also very plentiful here so I'll be dining on lamb chops as well.

debbiebramwell
12-13-2009, 10:44 PM
well look what I found! I will be following along..question for you do I see you doing sets with 1 reps? alot of sets under 6 reps? if so how come?
also no skipping legs no matter what next time for your show!:p very important to train them up to 10 days out then lay off happy offseason to you!!
How were you able to get the time off to stay there until march? will you move there someday? fill me in;)

Ninja Loco
12-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Slumnookie will fit right in here, heh heh heh........

So you're doing MAX OT, eh........ this will be interesting. Im glad you have an open mind now because I could not get you to do minimal sets last time we trained. Then again that seems like a lifetime ago. Certainly a whole nuther person ago ........ Im also interested to see if Sledge will have you do the OT cardio or something else. Id say HIIT like I do with my students but hey......he sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Sledge if you train me I would totaly do the plastic daisies thing. Unlike SOMEONE we know....

GirlyMuscle
12-13-2009, 11:59 PM
well look what I found! I will be following along..question for you do I see you doing sets with 1 reps? alot of sets under 6 reps? if so how come?
also no skipping legs no matter what next time for your show!:p very important to train them up to 10 days out then lay off happy offseason to you!!
How were you able to get the time off to stay there until march? will you move there someday? fill me in;)

I'm doing the MAX-OT program as written. The 1 rep sets are acclimations sets in order to get my muscle ready for the heavy working sets. My working sets are as heavy as I can, to failure within the 4-6 rep range.

Slumnookie will fit right in here, heh heh heh........

So you're doing MAX OT, eh........ this will be interesting. Im glad you have an open mind now because I could not get you to do minimal sets last time we trained. Then again that seems like a lifetime ago. Certainly a whole nuther person ago ........ Im also interested to see if Sledge will have you do the OT cardio or something else. Id say HIIT like I do with my students but hey......he sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Sledge if you train me I would totaly do the plastic daisies thing. Unlike SOMEONE we know....

We did talk about doing the 16 min hiit cardio that goes along with max-ot but I will be biking everywhere, especially to and from the gym, so I figured I'll be getting cardio anyway. And since I'm trying to build right now I'm not too concerned with cardio for fat loss, just general cardio health.

Suzanne
12-14-2009, 12:14 AM
I guess after hard contest dieting for 6 months I've gone the other way and I resent being told (by a diet protocol) what to eat and not eat. It's still a mental game.

I totally get this

Which is why i refuse to eat ANY fish or chicken right none zero nanda no fucking fish!

My plan i like cuz i have macro amoutns but i choose the food
ie i am told meal 1 75 g carbs meal 2 45 g carbs (all my meals are 3-4 oz protien or equivalent egg white cept last meal 8 oz protein) anyway i get to choose what my carbs source is and now it includes things like ww pasta ww bread so altho on a plan i don't feel it is at all similar to prep and of course i have my weekly cheat

GirlyMuscle
12-14-2009, 05:39 AM
I'm going to be totally honest here. I loved dieting with the keto approach but next time I will tweak to suit me better. I won't follow Dave's plan as written. I'll follow the macros but I will give myself more choices. In fact, in trying to regain balance Sledge is doing just that with my diet. He gives me choices. For instance, tonight we're having pork chops....after I couldn't decide what cut of lamb I wanted have. (There's lamb a plenty here and I don't know enough about it to choose.) I'm also having a flavored rice at his suggestion. I never eat flavored rice because I've always done the brown rice thing. Plus, I'm having a bit of red wine. So while I'm not totally cheating I am enjoying the foods we chose today. After all, it is off season and I want to enjoy my life.

Gerb
12-14-2009, 11:09 AM
In fact, in trying to regain balance Sledge is doing just that with my diet. ........ So while I'm not totally cheating I am enjoying the foods we chose today. After all, it is off season and I want to enjoy my life.

That Sledge is a good guy.

GirlyMuscle
12-15-2009, 05:34 AM
He is a good guy. :)

Today is cheat meal day. We're having pizza with ice cream and donuts for dessert. However, I didn't realize that in Australia donuts are actually an ice cream topping.

GirlyMuscle
12-15-2009, 06:06 AM
Shoulders and triceps

DB Presses
w/u
[email protected] (16lbs)

acclimation sets
1x1@10 (22)
1x1@15 (33)

working sets
[email protected] (49.6)
[email protected] (49.6)

Not bad since I have a wonky shoulder.

Straight bar standing military press
1x6@30 (66)
1x6@35 (77)

Sledge was surprised that I have never done military presses. I didn't go as heavy as I could have because I wanted to get the form right first. Afterwards, I realized I could have gone heavier and I will next week.

DB Side Laterals
2x6@10 (22)

close grip bench
1x6@40 (88)
2x6@50 (110)

Cable pushdowns with rope
1x6@55 (121)
1x4@60 (132)

F*ckin' A!

Seated overhead press
[email protected] (49.5)

:D

Ninja Loco
12-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Just FYI, in case you dont know. Proper form for military press is to bring your head under and through the bar as it goes over your head. The bar should be behind your head at the top, resting on your rear delts.

Wolfpack
12-15-2009, 06:40 PM

Today is cheat meal day. We're having pizza with ice cream and donuts for dessert. However, I didn't realize that in Australia donuts are actually an ice cream topping.

I'm not a huge ice cream "craver" (except Coldstone), but love me some pizza and donuts!!! :drool:

GirlyMuscle
12-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Just FYI, in case you dont know. Proper form for military press is to bring your head under and through the bar as it goes over your head. The bar should be behind your head at the top, resting on your rear delts.Maybe I called it the wrong thing. Like I said, I'd never done anything close to this. This is the exercise we did.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/oxford/Oxford_Food_Fitness/0198631472.military-press.1.jpg

GirlyMuscle
12-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm not a huge ice cream "craver" (except Coldstone), but love me some pizza and donuts!!! :drool:

I love Coldstones. Hey...I wonder if they would franchise in Australia....

sweetjane57
12-15-2009, 08:57 PM

I'M the ice cream CRAVER!!!!

I love to read about your "australian" tales.....
workouts are looking good, Girlie!

partsRheavy
12-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Overhead Press. I think some folks call 'em military press.

You never did 'em? They're good for delts. (my shrimpy part LOL)

P.S. Great weight overhead!

Maybe I called it the wrong thing. Like I said, I'd never done anything close to this. This is the exercise we did.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/oxford/Oxford_Food_Fitness/0198631472.military-press.1.jpg

GirlyMuscle
12-15-2009, 10:09 PM
I'M the ice cream CRAVER!!!!

I love to read about your "australian" tales.....
workouts are looking good, Girlie!

Today we're going to a gym in the next town, Mandurrah. We're going to have lunch at an cafe Sledge knows. Then we're going to go find pelicans and swans along the coast. After that it's training at a gym there. Taking the camera and Flip video so we'll see what happens. I'll blog about the adventure later. :)

Suzanne
12-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Coldstone my FAV!

I can't do them like in the picture with palms facing straight up at bottom also can't do front squats like that my arms/wrist just don't do that

Ninja Loco
12-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Maybe I called it the wrong thing. Like I said, I'd never done anything close to this. This is the exercise we did.

Yeah thats it. Military press, overhead press, shoulder press... It's called by many names, even Bob. I just meant dont just raise the weight straight up so that the weight rests soley on your front delts, as soon as the bar is going past your head pull back with the rear delts a bit. Put your head through the bar and rest the weight on your rear delts for a quick sec before lowering.

GirlyMuscle
12-16-2009, 07:27 AM
OK cool. Will do. Sledge said I had perfect form but I'll keep it in mind since I won't always have him around to watch me doing Bobs.

GirlyMuscle
12-16-2009, 08:00 AM
chest and forearms

Flat bench
w/u
3x10@30 (66lbs)
1x1@40 (88)
1x1@50 (110)
3x5@60 (132)

I don't usually do flat bench because I'm skkerd to without a spotter but with Sledgeyman as my trainer so I can. Not too bad. I've handled b135 in the past so I expect that number to increase pretty quickly.

Incline bench
1x5@60 (132)
2x6@55 (121)

Never did these either. I always use DBs.

Decline Bench on a smith
1x6@30 (66)

Barbell wrist curl

[email protected] (27.5)

Needs to go up next time

DB wrist curl
[email protected]

I never train forearms. I have bad wrists from years of doing nails so I'll just do what I can.

kimm4
12-16-2009, 08:22 AM

I'm sorry, I didn't see anything else but this...:)

Kidding, great workouts looking solid!

sweetjane57
12-16-2009, 01:21 PM
pelicans and swans......I want pics.

GirlyMuscle
12-16-2009, 06:12 PM
It was so windy on the water in Mandurah that even the seagulls weren't flying. We didn't see any pelicans or swans. Sledge said that normally the pelicans are as bad at begging for food as the seagulls. We ate by the water and the seagulls just circled us, walking on the ground bitching the whole time that they were hungry too.

We were sitting outside by the water's edge at a cafe having a beer. THere was a table of three or four people sitting two tables away from us. They were finished with lunch and enjoying their last bits of wine. When they left, the seagulls attacked the table of leftover food. There must have been 20 of them. Every time I turned around the take a pic they all flew away. I'd turn back to Sledge and they'd attack the table again, squawking and carrying on. They even broke wine glasses in their fury. I'd turn around to snap a pic and they'd fly away. It's like they KNEW.

Today we're going to Subiaco for a doc appt. Sledge has a messed up shoulder. Then we'll hit Scarborough Beach which Sledge says is a real beach. LOL I think the beach here is just gorgeous. In fact, every beach we've been to has been gorgeous. I asked what makes this one a real beach and he said this one has waves. Growing up, Sledge lived at the beach, surfing and shit with his mates. So I guess to him sand, sun, seashells and crystal clear blue water isn't a good beach unless there's surfable waves. I'm a crappy swimmer so I never cared about the waves.

ANEE-WAY...it's also leg day and we'll be going to Freemantle again to train. I liked that gym best. :D

Ninja Loco
12-16-2009, 06:19 PM
I love these stories.

GirlyMuscle
12-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Training has been sporadic the last couple of days. I'm not going to bother going back over workouts. Nothing exciting anyway.

I had been training on a free pass which expired. So Sledge and I started looking at other option. A new gym opened about 5.5 km away and we did the tour and figured the new gym with new equipment would suit us. Tonight was my first workout there alone since he had to back to work for 6 days.

The gym is ok. Problem is it's not finished. No locker rooms...just roughed in plumbing. And after the first warm up set hammy GirlyMuslce realized there are NO MIRRORS anywhere!!!! So I did my workout and left. They said there would be TVs and mirrors and such.

It took me 30 minutes to bike to the gym but only 20 to get back. There was a strong wind blowing right into me on the way there but not on the way back.

I don't want to bore RX with details so check out my blog at

www.girlymuscle.blogspot.com

partsRheavy
12-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Love your blog!!!!

Australia has large Arachnids!!!!

Your bike rides look lovely!!

GirlyMuscle
12-25-2009, 06:57 PM
With Sledge at work, I get bored and that's when i start cruisin the kitchen looking for food. So I'm going to log it out here so i can stick to my plan a bit better.

meal 6am 40g oatmeal, 1 scoop pro powder
meal 2 9am 2 scoops whey shake, 29g almonds
meal 3 noon 3 whole eggs, 1/2c egg whites
meal 4 3pm 150g ground beef, 1/2c pasta
meal 5 6pm 150g turkey rissole, 2c green beans
meal 6 9pm 150g cottage cheese

I also have to remember to take my fish oil and evening primrose.

No training yesterday or today since the gyms are closed.

Dec 26th is Boxing Day in Australia. The origin is that employers and wealthier people would give gifts to the less fortunate/employees. Now it's a national holiday where stores open and have great sales. It's the American equivelant of Black Friday.

I cleaned the whole house yesterday and did all the laundry so i don't know what I'll do today. I guess I could drag myself down to the beach on this 80+F day and take a walk. :)

Ninja Loco
12-25-2009, 07:00 PM
How many calories is that??

GirlyMuscle
12-25-2009, 07:02 PM
I dunno. I don't count. We took Dave's keto diet and slowly started adding carbs. Actually, now that I look at it I'm supposed to be at 3 carbs meals and I only have two. I'll have to throw another carb in there.

Ninja Loco
12-25-2009, 07:06 PM
And you feel full on that??

GirlyMuscle
12-25-2009, 07:18 PM
I dunno. I never feel truly full. But if I eat more I'll gain more and I don't want that either.

GeminiJedi
12-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Dec 26th is Boxing Day in Australia. The origin is that employers and wealthier people would give gifts to the less fortunate/employees. Now it's a national holiday where stores open and have great sales. It's the American equivelant of Black Friday.

I cleaned the whole house yesterday and did all the laundry so i don't know what I'll do today. I guess I could drag myself down to the beach on this 80+F day and take a walk. :)

Ugh!! I hope it's not as crazy as Black Friday is here :(

And that beach thing sounds good right now!! Although hot tubbing when it's snowing is pretty sweet, too :cool:

GirlyMuscle
12-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Shopping is much different over here. Just about everything closes at 6pm. Something about protecting small business. Their late shopping hours were only from 9-9 the last couple of days before Christmas. Stores will be open today from 10-5. It's crazy like our Black Friday. Security in stores, tons of traffic, everyone looking for bargains. From what I understand it's the biggest retail day of the year.

GeminiJedi
12-25-2009, 08:22 PM
That's nice that they're still (apparently) looking out for the little guy and not the corporate giants :)

GirlyMuscle
12-25-2009, 08:26 PM
That's the whole idea. Aussies think a bit differently than Americans. Kinda makes me ashamed of America and how greedy we are compared to other parts of the world. Not saying there isn't greed everywhere but we're really pigs. No offense to americans. but think about it. If all of the sudden Walmart had to close at 6pm Americans would flip out. We all want what we want ,when we want it, even at 2am, and who cares who it screws.

essmonet03
12-25-2009, 08:30 PM

I think that is a great national holiday. I hope there weren't any people gouging eyes out over sales like they do over here in Chicago. I am so jealous of the fact that you can go to the beach! Its like 35 degress and rainy. Just cleaned the house too on some kind of rampage... i smell like windex and orange glo... lovely ;o)

GirlyMuscle
12-25-2009, 08:32 PM
I did that yesterday. Cleaned the whole house simply out of boredom.

essmonet03
12-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Continental is September. It's a good show, decent size, national qualifier.

Hey hope the weather is great... just got 6 inches out here in Chicago! Yay!
I didnt know if you knew this already but there will be no more Continental in September. i just found this out recently... it was an awesome show too, great turn out! :byeb: Too many haters out there were jealous of how great the turn out was, so they whined and complained. And low and behold the show was axed!

Nothing wrong with cleaning out of boredom! :yep:

GirlyMuscle
12-26-2009, 07:53 PM
No Continental???? Dang it! Do you know the scoop? Having lived out there I know of all the promoters and powers that be in the Illinois area shows. PM me if it's too gossipy to post. Shoot. That figures. That's the one I was leaning towards since I have so many bbing friends in the Chicago area. I have friends I could have stayed with, access to one of the best videographer, some photographers. Darn it. I was there two years ago to see a friend compete and I liked the size of the show. Big enough to be competitive but not so big I'd get lost in the shuffle.

GirlyMuscle
12-26-2009, 11:05 PM
I just had the best lunch. Pre-cooked chicken breast sliced and thrown into a fry pan with green beans, hokkien noodles all stir fried in a Sesame ginger marinade. Damn this bbing lifestyle is rough. LOL

Sledge
12-28-2009, 10:27 AM
I fly home tomorrow for a week. Time to crack the whip on this girlymusclechicks training.

Of course I'd crank up my own training too but I have an injury. Poor little poppet that I am.

GirlyMuscle
12-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Well, I'm back in here. The gym was closed on Christmas Day and the day after (Boxing Day) so no training. I woke up Christmas Eve morning to a nasty headcold. Christmas Day I got my period for the first time in almost a year. Thanks, Santa. :( Guess I was a bad girl this year. On Sunday I was still too sick to bike to the gym. On Monday I tried to bike to the gym but I got about 1/2 mile down the road and I was gasping for breath and my chest hurt. I couldn't imagine getting all the way to the gym, training and biking back so I turned around and went home. Tuesday was Sledge's first day home from working nightshifts so we just hung out and he relaxed. Wednesday was our Christmas with his family. So here we are on Thursday. Leg Day. I only have a cough left from my cold and no Aunt Flo (girl code for periods). Hopefully, she doesn't come visit again for another year.

Weight is at an uncomfortable point for me. I'm just going to try to deal with it. I'm trying to put on muscle and also enjoy the holidays and just life in general. I needed out of the diet mentality for awhile. The restrictions and feelings of deprivation really gets to me. I don't want a diet to ruin my time here. I'm in Austrlia for cryin' out loud. I want to enjoy it!

Problem is I have a hard time balancing. I'm an all or nothing person. I don't know how to be in the middle. I haven't been binging but I'm small and everything I eat shows up immediately. Heck, at 15 pounds above my last comp weight I don't look like a bodybuilder. So imagine what 20-25 looks like. I hate the way it feels. Seems most of the weight has come back in my tummy and low back so I feel like I'm lugging an inner tube with me everywhere I go. For me 8-10 pounds is a whole clothing size and my stuff is getting tight. Good thing it's hot here. I don't think any of the jeans I brought along are going to fit right now.

I'm not going to change my plan at this point. I'm also going to do my best to shut up about it. I know Sledge is tired of hearing me whine about it. He likes me chubby anyway. I just wish I liked me chubby.

GeminiJedi
12-30-2009, 11:00 PM
That's the whole idea. Aussies think a bit differently than Americans. Kinda makes me ashamed of America and how greedy we are compared to other parts of the world. Not saying there isn't greed everywhere but we're really pigs. No offense to americans. but think about it. If all of the sudden Walmart had to close at 6pm Americans would flip out. We all want what we want ,when we want it, even at 2am, and who cares who it screws.

Tell me about it. I work in retail pharmacy, and from December through March people are so incredibly rude between "holiday travel" and insurance changing and wanting to squeeze as much out of it as they can. I understand the thrifty mentality, but COME ON!! And when there's an hour wait, and that just won't work for you, please feel free to ask the 15 other people waiting in line ahead of you if it's ok if you butt ahead :mad::mad: I think EVERYONE should work retail/food service for a holiday season and then see what @ss holes people really are, and check their own behaviour.

/rant (sorry for the hijack :hugme: )

GeminiJedi
12-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Weight is at an uncomfortable point for me. I'm just going to try to deal with it. I'm trying to put on muscle and also enjoy the holidays and just life in general. I needed out of the diet mentality for awhile. The restrictions and feelings of deprivation really gets to me. I don't want a diet to ruin my time here. I'm in Austrlia for cryin' out loud. I want to enjoy it!

Problem is I have a hard time balancing. I'm an all or nothing person. I don't know how to be in the middle. I haven't been binging but I'm small and everything I eat shows up immediately. Heck, at 15 pounds above my last comp weight I don't look like a bodybuilder. So imagine what 20-25 looks like. I hate the way it feels. Seems most of the weight has come back in my tummy and low back so I feel like I'm lugging an inner tube with me everywhere I go. For me 8-10 pounds is a whole clothing size and my stuff is getting tight. Good thing it's hot here. I don't think any of the jeans I brought along are going to fit right now.

I'm not going to change my plan at this point. I'm also going to do my best to shut up about it. I know Sledge is tired of hearing me whine about it. He likes me chubby anyway. I just wish I liked me chubby.

Hang in there!! :hmn: It will get better. I'm with you on the weight thing: I'm the same way. It's hard when such little changes yield DRASTIC results. Just keep in mind the end goal, and that it's worth it. If there's one thing this lifestyle teaches is discipline, but it's also about holding to your plan and goals and knowing that it's all worth it in the end :)

GirlyMuscle
12-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Yeah...I just wish it went the other day. What took me 6 months to lose only took 6 weeks to gain back.

Melissa
12-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah...I just wish it went the other day. What took me 6 months to lose only took 6 weeks to gain back.

I can relate to everything you've mentioned about the recent offseason weight gain, being a fellow shortie and experiencing the same thing right now myself. But the one thing you can reassure yourself with now that you didn't necessarily have in the past is that you know you can get in shape now. You've already proved that you can lose the weight, diet for a show, and get on stage. Hang in there, and just keep training your ass off:yep:

GeminiJedi
12-31-2009, 11:15 AM
I can relate to everything you've mentioned about the recent offseason weight gain, being a fellow shortie and experiencing the same thing right now myself. But the one thing you can reassure yourself with now that you didn't necessarily have in the past is that you know you can get in shape now. You've already proved that you can lose the weight, diet for a show, and get on stage. Hang in there, and just keep training your ass off:yep:

Amen!

GirlyMuscle
12-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for reminding me Melissa.

I've decided to just stay the course. Sledge and I are going to the Australian Pro show in mid-March. If there's anything I hate it's going to a bbing show, not looking like a bber. So at about 6 weeks out we'll evaluate where I am and I'll probably do a 4 week mini keto cut just to drop a bit of the bloat and allow me to feel good. Until then, it's stick to my off season diet, train heavy and hopefully, build some muscle.

GirlyMuscle
12-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Yesterday's leg workout. I didn't feel like training but we went anyway and I'm glad we did. This happens to me a lot where I don't feel like training but I do it anyway and end up with a great workout. I felt great afterwards and I'm already feeling the DOMs this morning.

Squats
w/u sets
3x10@40kg (88lbs)

acclimation sets
1x3@60 (132)
1x2@70 (154)

Working sets
1x6@90 (198)
2x4@100 (220)

Leg Press
1x6@260 (573)
1x6@280 (617)

SLDL
1x6@90 (198)
1x6@110 (242)

Standing Calf Raises
1x8@160 (353)
1x8@170 (375)
1x6@175 (386)

Seated Calf Raises

We used a rickety old stack weight machine. I didn't write down the weights. We did 2 sets of 8 reps.

Sledge is an awesome cook. He made a fish called basa on the grill. He seasoned it and sauteed some green and red capsicum (peppers are called capsicum here in Australia) and onions. The veggies went on the fish. It was so amazingly good! Cool thing is he just makes his dishes up as he goes along.

No training today. All the gyms are closed. We're going to take the dogs to the beach. It's a beautiful sunny day again. Perfect weather. :)

partsRheavy
01-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Happy New Year Eastern and Central U.S.A. time!!!!!! :yep:

GirlyMuscle
01-02-2010, 04:14 AM
Happy New Year!

Back Day!

Bent over rows
w/u sets
3x10@ bar

acclimation
1x3@30 (66)
1x3@50 (110)

working sets
1x6@ 70 (154)
1x6@75 (165)

Close Grip Pulldowns
1x6@67 (148)
[email protected] (153)

Assisted Pull ups
1x6@12
1x5@5

Cable Rows
1x6@67 (148)
[email protected] (153)

Deadlifts
1x6@100 (220)
1x6@105 (231)

Barbell Shrugs
1X6@85 (187)

I have some pretty good DOMs from my leg workout. I can already feel the back workout today.

AVBG
01-02-2010, 05:03 AM
I am getting a kick out of reading about your Aussie adventure.. You seem to have picked up on our lifestyle down to a tee. I can't believe we'll meet in Melbourne in 10 weeks!

GirlyMuscle
01-03-2010, 02:11 AM
More Aussie adventures at www.girlymuscle.blogspot.com!

Today was delts and triceps

Seated DB Press
w/u
3x10@8kg (17.5lb)

Acclimation sets
1x3@15 (33)
[email protected] (38.5)

working sets
[email protected] (49.5)
2x6@25 (55)

I can relatively easily push out the 6 reps at 25kg but I can't get the first one up without help.

Military press
1x4@40
1x6@40

The first set was less because I had the bar set too low and I expended too much energy get the bar off the rack. I know better now.

DB side laterals
1x6 @ 10 (22)
1x5@ 12.5 (27.5)

Lying tricep press with EZ Curl bar
1x6@50 (110)
1x3@55 (121)

[email protected] (46.8)
[email protected] 9 (52.4)
[email protected] (57.8)

This one was weird. The stack weights had strange numbers on it and it seemed much heavier than a typical stack weight system. WEird.

Overhead DB Tri Press
[email protected] (49.6)

Sledge
01-03-2010, 04:06 AM
More Aussie adventures at www.girlymuscle.blogspot.com (http://www.girlymuscle.blogspot.com)!

but I can't get the first one up without help.

Don't worry it happens to everyone especially when your in your 40s. At least thats what they tell me.

The first set was less because I had the bar set too low and I expended too much energy get the bar off the rack. I know better now.

That's my fault. I have a shoulder injury so cant train delts. So I am privileged to act as GM's "Gym Caddie". I figured because she's a short arse the bar should be lower on the rack. I was suitably reprimanded and won't make that mistake again.
Wonder if she feels like Flex Wheeler with someone following her around putting her weights away and setting up each exercise for her.

GirlyMuscle
01-03-2010, 04:14 AM
It's good to be the World Famous GirlyMuscle. :D

Gerb
01-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Great training lately GM, must be nice having your own personal gym sherpa in Sledge.

A little late but I wish you and Sledge all the best in the New Year!

GirlyMuscle
01-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Biceps and abs today

Straight Bar Curls
w/u

acclimation
1x3@20 (44)
[email protected] (60.6)

Working sets
[email protected] (82.6)

Hammer Curls
1x6@15 (33)
[email protected] (38.5)
[email protected] (38.5)

EZ Bar Curls
1x6@ 33 (72.7)

Hanging leg lifts
2x12 @ body weight

Weighted Cable crunches
1x10@24
1x10@31

Don't know what these weights really are. On a regular weight stack I used 50kgs. This one felt much heavier and only went up to 45. All I know is it was a bitch to get down on the floor so it must be heavy if it off set my body weight.

ActionTan
01-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Love this journal!

slumcookie
01-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Love this journal!
I second this. I lurk here alot, is that creepy?

So do you like Australia better than the US in general.. I mean like the culture, the food, and the lifestyles?

GirlyMuscle
01-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Not creepy at all! That's why I have a journal.

Australia is the same yet different. I'll be honest. I am having a bit of culture shock. I'm surrounded by an accent I don't always understand. They use words I've never heard of. I can't get used to the driving on the other side of the road. Adjusting to kgs instead of lbs. The money is different and while the exchange rate is close to even, things cost a lot more here. There's a lot of things we can't get here. Selection is much less than in the USA. The weather is different, the landscape is different. The job market is different. Job training is different. Do you know they actually have a certification to be a barister? A certificate to pour coffee. LOL There are good things...more employment opportunities, higher minimum wage (double ours), no recession.

I'm not complaining. It's just getting used to something very different than what I've always known.

SallyAnne
01-04-2010, 09:48 PM
barista?

a barister is a lawyer thingy.

GirlyMuscle
01-04-2010, 09:53 PM
What do they call coffee pourers?

GirlyMuscle
01-04-2010, 09:55 PM
From Starbucks.com.au

Careers...

baristas

Our baristas are responsible for

•Delivering legendary customer service
•Providing quality beverages and food products
•Maintaining a clean and comfortable work environment

We'd love to hear from people with

•High levels of energy and enthusiasm
•The ability to work as part of a positive team
•Passion and commitment

GirlyMuscle
01-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Off season GirlyMuscle. The crown is an Aussie Christmas thing.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qM3t7qCflOA/Sz3SeFNTBrI/AAAAAAAAATA/ohJT49zfahM/s200/IMGP3325.JPG

GeminiJedi
01-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Heh... My husband was banned from Starbucks when he patted another barista on the head, yet other baristas could hug her without punishment....

I thought the crown was something Sledge gave you to signify your being Queen of the Bedroom ;)

GirlyMuscle
01-06-2010, 12:48 AM
I am that. :D

There's a custom in Australia, UK, and some other places where each person gets a Christmas Cracker. It's a tube of sorts gift wrapped like a big piece of candy. One person takes one end and another the opposite end. Then you each pull, like a wishbone. It pops and inside is a little toy, a joke and a paper crown. The person with the biggest side wins. We all wore our crowns while we ate Christmas Pavlova.

And Christmas Pavlova is a dessert made with whipped cream and egg white meringue cookies and strawberries. Sometimes they're made with kiwi fruit. They were originally made for Anna Pavolva the ballerina when she was touring Australia.

I still haven't gotten to try Christmas Pudding. :(

GeminiJedi
01-06-2010, 11:38 PM
I am that. :D

There's a custom in Australia, UK, and some other places where each person gets a Christmas Cracker. It's a tube of sorts gift wrapped like a big piece of candy. One person takes one end and another the opposite end. Then you each pull, like a wishbone. It pops and inside is a little toy, a joke and a paper crown. The person with the biggest side wins. We all wore our crowns while we ate Christmas Pavlova.

And Christmas Pavlova is a dessert made with whipped cream and egg white meringue cookies and strawberries. Sometimes they're made with kiwi fruit. They were originally made for Anna Pavolva the ballerina when she was touring Australia.

I still haven't gotten to try Christmas Pudding. :(

Niiice!! That sounds like a lot more fun than going to the parent's house, mom yelling in the kitchen then disappearing and not eating dinner with us, then appearing for presents, then disappearing again.

Too bad about Christmas Pudding :( You should demand it, as Queen of the Bedroom/House ;)

GirlyMuscle
01-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Maybe on cheat day....which won't be until next week. Then again I think I'd rather have ice cream.

As Queen of the Bedroom, I already warned him that when he gets home next week to expect to spend the first 24 hours in there. ;)

Sledge
01-07-2010, 12:14 AM
With icecream and christmas pudding! COOL

Sledge
01-07-2010, 12:14 AM
And a couple of Golden Gaytime

Darnelle B
01-07-2010, 02:22 AM
hey GM im loving the journal. :) i will be hanging around here.:yep::hmn:

GirlyMuscle
01-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Cool! the more the merrier!

I just got in from a leg workout. Went really well except for smashing a 110kg (242lb) barbell on my pinkie. I was racking it after SLDLs. There's a bruise under the nail and it's sore but I think I'll live. I don't type in the correct way so I never realized I actually use my pinkie to type until now.

I took video but I have to edit and put it all together. I thnk i might post that instead of a boring log with only numbers.

Side note...there was a herd of young boys (about 18yrs old) in the gym at the same time as me today. About 6 of them. After I did my leg press two of them tried the leg press opposite the one I was using. I had 7 plates on each side. They couldn't do 4 on each side. One kid got stuck when it bottomed out and he hadn't set the safety bars. After that they scurried back to the others with the machines. I was in the free weight area almost the entire time and they we're in the machines area. They'd do some machines then play on the cardio equipment, back to the machines, repeat. It was only after I packed up and headed out the door that they all made a beeline to the free weights and starts slinging around the 10kg DBs.

GeminiJedi
01-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Cool! the more the merrier!

I just got in from a leg workout. Went really well except for smashing a 110kg (242lb) barbell on my pinkie. I was racking it after SLDLs. There's a bruise under the nail and it's sore but I think I'll live. I don't type in the correct way so I never realized I actually use my pinkie to type until now.

I took video but I have to edit and put it all together. I thnk i might post that instead of a boring log with only numbers.

Side note...there was a herd of young boys (about 18yrs old) in the gym at the same time as me today. About 6 of them. After I did my leg press two of them tried the leg press opposite the one I was using. I had 7 plates on each side. They couldn't do 4 on each side. One kid got stuck when it bottomed out and he hadn't set the safety bars. After that they scurried back to the others with the machines. I was in the free weight area almost the entire time and they we're in the machines area. They'd do some machines then play on the cardio equipment, back to the machines, repeat. It was only after I packed up and headed out the door that they all made a beeline to the free weights and starts slinging around the 10kg DBs.

LMAO!! Way to scare them away GM! I love outlifting the high school boys :baby: Show 'em how it's done!

GirlyMuscle
01-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Opinions please....

I can't seem to straighten my legs for SLDLs. Hamstrings are too tight and I bend my knees too much. If I try to straighten them more it hurts behind my knees. In fact, this morning when I got up the back of my knees was really achy and sore and not in a good DOMs way. Do I need to stretch more? I used to be able to bend over, legs straight and put my hands flat on the floor. I can't do that anymore.

These are supposed to be SLDLs but after reviewing my video...yeah...not really.

_oMF8GRVcLk

GeminiJedi
01-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Lighten the load and, keeping your legs straight (but not locked), go as far forward as you can. Each rep (or set) try to go a little lower. It helps me to think of sticking my butt out and relaxing my hamstrings so they stretch more, but not sacrificing form, while doing these. When I first started training with my trainer last year, I could only go just below my knees. By the time show rolled around 5 months later I could pretty much go to my feet. It's a matter of regaining flexibility. Also, roll on a foam roller. It's painful, but it really does help.

GirlyMuscle
01-08-2010, 01:30 AM
I wasn't sure about the load being the problem since I can't really touch my toes without any weight. I'll try it. :(

GirlyMuscle
01-08-2010, 01:33 AM
Foam roller. yeah...I have no idea what to do with it. Haven't seen ay at the gym either.

GeminiJedi
01-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Don't worry--I couldn't touch my toes without weight either (and can't again since I stopped stretching again). The foam roller is a piece of foam that looks like those noodle pool toys. It's literally a piece of hard foam that you sit on and roll back and forth.

5lLw81kGeXg

GirlyMuscle
01-08-2010, 01:45 AM
I'm not really seeing how that stretches anything but if I can get my hands on one I'll try it. Thanks!

GeminiJedi
01-08-2010, 01:50 AM
It's myofacial release. Breaks up any scar tissue or tightness in the muscles. It will help it release and stretch. Do add in the normal stretches too. I think this and stretching normally with the bar (keep form and just go as low as you can) you'll see good results :)

GirlyMuscle
01-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I decided to move. You guys are having too much fun in master's bbing and I want in. :D 45 yrs old is old enough, right?

Baldiewonkanobi
01-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Is this thread our Christmas Cracker in Masters Bodybuilding? If so GREAT. Looks like you plucked your entire journal from elsewhere and dropped it in here. Our gain.

Baldie

GirlyMuscle
01-08-2010, 09:21 AM
I did. I was over in Women's training journals but you guys and gals seem to be having so much fun (and support) that I decided I move. Hope you don't mind a new neighbor. :)

gman
01-08-2010, 09:35 AM
the more girls, the better I feel...welcome!

AnglicanBeachParty
01-08-2010, 09:37 AM
I decided to move. You guys are having too much fun in master's bbing and I want in. :D 45 yrs old is old enough, right?

Very cool!

But I think you're going to have to provide some proof of age - you don't look it!

blu2xtreme
01-08-2010, 09:42 AM
So cool ...I was reading your journal last night over in the girlie section and thought I should hang there more and now I don't have to :)
45 year olds are perfect :D

joedemarco
01-08-2010, 09:45 AM

Awesome! Glad to see you moved your journal over here!

By the way, I don't want you to feel out of place, but most of us are only 20-25 years old over here....:p

gman
01-08-2010, 09:47 AM
I love it how all the women on here look younger than they are...living proof that lifting heavy weights does good things.

Still haven't figured out why all the guys look older than they are though

vboissiere
01-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Maybe on cheat day....which won't be until next week. Then again I think I'd rather have ice cream.

As Queen of the Bedroom, I already warned him that when he gets home next week to expect to spend the first 24 hours in there. ;)

show off!

GirlyMuscle
01-08-2010, 09:53 AM
show off!

What can I say...once a horndog always a horndog! Does that make me a bitch? :D

vboissiere
01-08-2010, 09:53 AM

I was just wondering why this was in the masters section.
Are you really 45?!? While weight training surely helps, good genes don't hurt any...

vboissiere
01-08-2010, 09:55 AM
What can I say...once a horndog always a horndog! Does that make me a bitch? :D

Horndog just shows desire. Being given the title of queen shows matery of your skillset! :yep:

as for the bitch part, never that...

vboissiere
01-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Don't worry--I couldn't touch my toes without weight either (and can't again since I stopped stretching again). The foam roller is a piece of foam that looks like those noodle pool toys. It's literally a piece of hard foam that you sit on and roll back and forth.

5lLw81kGeXg

Awesome tool! Used it a lot when I was powerlifting to get knots out. I should get back to that.

GirlyMuscle
01-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Horndog just shows desire. Being given the title of queen shows matery of your skillset! :yep:

as for the bitch part, never that...

Only women who are true bitches are offended by the term "bitch." I am not offended. :)

I'll be honest and it's not secret. I love sex. Anyway, anyhow. :D

gman
01-08-2010, 10:03 AM
why is every woman like that except the ones I know.(half joking, half serious!) ;)

blu2xtreme
01-08-2010, 10:05 AM
why is every woman like that except the ones I know.(half joking, half serious!) ;)

You don't know many women do you;)

GirlyMuscle
01-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Proof of age...my 21 yr old son, Cody...I had him when I was 24. He's 6'4" and 250#.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/GirlyMuscle/Cody1-1.jpg

gman
01-08-2010, 10:13 AM
You don't know many women do you;)

I know about 3.

blu2xtreme
01-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I know about 3.

Don't count me in the group you know already...
I don't belong;)

gman
01-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Don't count me in the group you know already...
I don't belong;)

I don't count you and your friends, only met you once.

Bob45
01-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Found the old lady journal. Subscribed.

Bob45
01-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Awesome tool! Used it a lot when I was powerlifting to get knots out. I should get back to that.

I wouldn't mind rolling around with that blonde selling it!

Neal Grossman
01-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Erin,

Good to see you over here.

Neal

GirlyMuscle
01-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Hi, Dr Neal!

SallyAnne
01-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Opinions please....

I can't seem to straighten my legs for SLDLs. Hamstrings are too tight and I bend my knees too much. If I try to straighten them more it hurts behind my knees. In fact, this morning when I got up the back of my knees was really achy and sore and not in a good DOMs way. Do I need to stretch more? I used to be able to bend over, legs straight and put my hands flat on the floor. I can't do that anymore.

These are supposed to be SLDLs but after reviewing my video...yeah...not really.

_oMF8GRVcLk

You need to stretch. Not only will it give you a bigger range of motion, but it will help prevent injury.

On leg day, I do 1/2 hour of cardio before I workout, then stretch, then do sets and stretch in between them.

bodyhard
01-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Opinions please....

_oMF8GRVcLk

The problem I see here is that you are not doing SLDL rather a traditional deadlift.

SLDL you bend at the hips and only at the hips

Position yourself, bar resting against your thighs, unlock the knees slightly. Start bending at the hips, again only at the hips, let the bar pull you down, there should be no up and down movement with your quads/thighs.

Only go down as far as your flexibility allows you, in time your hammies will begin to stretch and you will be able to go further down.

You should also stretch the hammies on days you do not work out, put one leg in front of the other and bend over hold for 7-10 seconds. Start by holding the back of your thighs and work your way down to your calves until you can touch your toes. This like everything else will take time.

This will not only stretch your hammies it will also stretch the back of your knees.

Ninja Loco
01-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Thats.......alotta fukin weight............ WOW.

Hun you know where I stand on stretching. Stretching every morning for an hour for more than 20 years...never a problem. I stop for a month and wham, bye bye hamstring.

Gaoshang Xiongshou
01-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Thats.......alotta fukin weight............ WOW.

Hun you know where I stand on stretching. Stretching every morning for an hour for more than 20 years...never a problem. I stop for a month and wham, bye bye hamstring.

Yes sir, it does not take long to lose it at all. I still do not understand that.

GirlyMuscle
01-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks, guys. Stretch it is. blech.

I forgot to post up yesterdays training and now I have today's as well.

Friday

Chest and forearms

Hammer Strength Incline Press
w/u
3x10@30kg (66lbs)

acclimation sets
1x3@50 (110)
1x3@60 (132)

working sets
1x6@70 (154)
2x6@80 (176)

Hammer Strength chest press
1x6@70 (154)
1x6@75 (165)
1x5@75 (165)

Decline Bench
1x6@50 (110)
1x6@55 (121)

Too easy...need to go up next time

Babrbell wrist curls
1x10@20 (44)
[email protected] (49.6)

Go up next time.

DB wrist curls
[email protected] (27.5)

Saturday

Back and traps

Bent over BB rows
w/u
3x10@20 (44)

acclimation sets
1x3@30 (66)
1x3@50 (110)

working sets
1x6@70 (154)
1x6@75 (165)

Close grip pulldowns
1x6@67 (148)
1x5@69 (152)

Assissted pullups
2x6@5 (11)

I'm thinking next time I'm doing it unassisted. Never been able to do that before.

Cable rows
1x6@67 (148)
1x6@69 (153)

Deadlifts
1x6@110 (242)
1x6@115 (254)

Barbell shrugs
2x6@85 (187)

I also bike to and from the gym when Sledge is at work and I've been averaging about 23 minutes each way so that's roughly 45 min of cardio. I wore my HR monitor and I am in the 125-135 zone.

I also started logging my food on fitday just to see what kind of calories and carbs I've been eating. I average 2000-2500 cals a day and 65-100 carbs a day. I seem to be putting on about 2 pounds a week. I am trying to build but I thnk that may be a little too much. I dunno. I think I'll just stick to the plan until I start my mini cut on Feb 2nd.

Ninja Loco
01-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Thats 4 friggin plates on the incline hammer.........jesus you're moving some serious fucking weight. Im still massaging my own balls after seeing that SLDL vid.

GirlyMuscle
01-09-2010, 12:56 AM
The weights I posted on the Hammer stuff is combined...both sides. The Hammer Strength stuff they have at this gym is stacks instead of plate loaded. And the kg thing keeps me guessing. Remember when you would load the machine and tell me to lift without me knowing the weight and I could always lift more than I thought I could? It's like that. :)

Ninja Loco
01-09-2010, 01:01 AM
The weights I posted on the Hammer stuff is combined...both sides. The Hammer Strength stuff they have at this gym is stacks instead of plate loaded. And the kg thing keeps me guessing. Remember when you would load the machine and tell me to lift without me knowing the weight and I could always lift more than I thought I could? It's like that. :)
I do remember that. First time you almost thought I was lying....then almost had an orgasm over realizing you really did. That was fun to watch.

4 plates is still 4 plates.....wow.

GirlyMuscle
01-09-2010, 01:22 AM
I could actually do more weight. The problem, like with DBs, is getting the first one up. The handles are levered so that they are way back and it's hard on my shoulder to push the first one. Once I have it up I can pump out the reps easily. I don't bring my elbows back behind me, just even with my body. Does that make sense?

Ninja Loco
01-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Totaly. Did you take a vid of the hammer press?

GirlyMuscle
01-09-2010, 01:44 AM
I did not. My batteries died. I have to get some more.

vboissiere
01-09-2010, 04:37 AM
Stretching will help your hamstring development as well as prevent injury. Having said that, once you lock yourself in mechanically to do the movement, go down until the tension in the muscle gives you the message to reverse. As you become more flexible, the range of motion will obviously increase, but that's secondary for short term development.

GirlyMuscle
01-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Next Thursday...I'll let you know. I already started stretching. I'll video too next Thursday.

vboissiere
01-09-2010, 04:44 AM
Next Thursday...I'll let you know. I already started stretching. I'll video too next Thursday.

The cool thing about stretching is that once you're consistent, you will see results quickly.

buckimscl
01-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Checking in GM.

Baldiewonkanobi
01-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Hey Girlie,

Your thread has drawn new blood into the Masters. Good stuff.

I was one blind date away from taking a job at the Bank of New South Wales in 1966 when I met Randee, my sweetheart. 44 years now. My passport was stamped and flight booked. Never since had the notion to visit Oz. Been a lot of places in the world...but all above the equator.

Baldie

GeminiJedi
01-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I could actually do more weight. The problem, like with DBs, is getting the first one up. The handles are levered so that they are way back and it's hard on my shoulder to push the first one. Once I have it up I can pump out the reps easily. I don't bring my elbows back behind me, just even with my body. Does that make sense?

Stand up in the machine (like you would be seated in it but stand up) and as you slide down into the seat push the machine up. That will get the first rep up without bring it too far back so as to hurt your shoulder. I have to do that with my hammer chest here, too.

GirlyMuscle
01-09-2010, 06:56 PM
I never thought of that. I'll give it a try next week. Thanks!

Ninja Loco
01-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Shit me neither......great tip! We dont have a hammer, but we do have a similar chest press with cable plates. It has a foot push to get you started.

Sledge
01-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Cool another chick in the masters section for me to schm.....erm....I mean follow.

Oh it's you.

partsRheavy
01-09-2010, 10:34 PM
I see you're very close to unassisted pullups!!!!

Do you do glute-ham-raises for hamstrings?

GirlyMuscle
01-09-2010, 10:53 PM
glute-ham-raises?

Nope. Don't know what that is. Right now I'm doing the MAX-OT program exactly as written.

Leaving now for the gym...it's delt day.

partsRheavy
01-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Girly -----

Certainly, you've seen one of these odd contraptions before? That's a glute-ham raise.

They're not in all gyms.

It works the back of the legs. It's a good stretching type exercise if you hold no weight, and a good complement to squats/leg press if you hold some weight.

Just something for later or when ya get lucky and see one in a gym. :-)

GirlyMuscle
01-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Your pic doesn't show up. Is it a Butt Blaster? I like those things. Used one at my gym in PA. edit: I clicked on the pic and it showed up. We just have a regular hyperextension thingie. I do have one of those at my PA gym.

So as if I wasn't in a bad mood already...

I get dressed, write out my workout (starting weights), pack my backpack, take my bike outside when is dawns on me it's Sunday. Since I'm not working I forget what day of the week it is. I came back inside and check the time. 12:37pm. Called the gym to see what the hours are today...close at 1pm. gggrrrrrrr!!!! Now I'm REALLY cranky!

partsRheavy
01-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Ohh is that ever annoying!!!! Closing at 1 pm even on Sun is way too early!!!! They might as well not open at all....

Glad the pic worked when you clicked.

gman
01-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Your pic doesn't show up. Is it a Butt Blaster? I like those things. Used one at my gym in PA. edit: I clicked on the pic and it showed up. We just have a regular hyperextension thingie. I do have one of those at my PA gym.

So as if I wasn't in a bad mood already...

I get dressed, write out my workout (starting weights), pack my backpack, take my bike outside when is dawns on me it's Sunday. Since I'm not working I forget what day of the week it is. I came back inside and check the time. 12:37pm. Called the gym to see what the hours are today...close at 1pm. gggrrrrrrr!!!! Now I'm REALLY cranky!

that's more like a time the gym should OPEN on Sunday, and that's only if the owner goes to church

GirlyMuscle
01-10-2010, 07:15 AM
So get this...some chick commented on my youtube videos and told me I lift too heavy. She said I shouldn't push myself so hard because I'm overtraining. LMAO!

Amber-Leigh
01-10-2010, 10:09 AM
So get this...some chick commented on my youtube videos and told me I lift too heavy. She said I shouldn't push myself so hard because I'm overtraining. LMAO!

Wow are you serious? Oh ya and look at the "damage" it has done to your body...lol. Some people should just keep comments to themselves!

Bob45
01-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Good morning. Nice new avatar!

GirlyMuscle
01-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Thank you!

Nighttime here...I can't sleep. Dozed off for about 20 minutes and had a weird dream. Once I woke up I couldn't get back to sleep. So..here I am...

Bob45
01-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Thank you!

Nighttime here...I can't sleep. Dozed off for about 20 minutes and had a weird dream. Once I woke up I couldn't get back to sleep. So..here I am...

I started taking 3mg of Melatonin. That helps me sleep. I have weird dreams all the time. Wish I would have some fun dreams. The days have been boring this winter.

buckimscl
01-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Checking in GM.

GirlyMuscle
01-10-2010, 10:54 AM
I take GABA before bed. Melatonin never did anything for me.

I missed the gym today. Didn't do much today to get tired enough for sleep. I can think of something that would relax me and help me get to sleep but, alas, he doesn't get home from work for another 36 hours or so. ;)

GirlyMuscle
01-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Checking in GM.

Hi Schweetie!:hmn:

buckimscl
01-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey Baby!!! How's everything down under this a.m.?

GirlyMuscle
01-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Well, it's midnight and I'm wide awake for starters....

Bob45
01-10-2010, 11:05 AM
I can think of something that would relax me and help me get to sleep but, alas, he doesn't get home from work for another 36 hours or so. ;)

Yeah, that works much better than Melatonin.

GirlyMuscle
01-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Ok...going back to bed. If I don't fall alseep in the next 30 minutes "I'll be back..."

buckimscl
01-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Good Night....................maybe

GeminiJedi
01-10-2010, 05:28 PM
I never thought of that. I'll give it a try next week. Thanks!

Shit me neither......great tip! We dont have a hammer, but we do have a similar chest press with cable plates. It has a foot push to get you started.

:D

Those foot pushes are nice, though. Saves the standing trick lol

gman
01-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Yeah, that works much better than Melatonin.

i thought that only worked with guys though!

blu2xtreme
01-10-2010, 07:24 PM
i thought that only worked with guys though!

Remember Baldie recommend I take it too
I have been taking it a few weeks

gman
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Remember Baldie recommend I take it too
I have been taking it a few weeks

read bob's post again, it's a response to GM.

About sex helping her fall asleep.

I thought it only worked for guys.

GirlyMuscle
01-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Sex? Sex? Did some say Sex??

gman
01-10-2010, 07:34 PM
I knew that would get you back on the boards...

blu2xtreme
01-10-2010, 07:34 PM
read bob's post again, it's a response to GM.

About sex helping her fall asleep.

I thought it only worked for guys.

I am off my game ...had to re-read the posts 3 times to catch that :dunno:

Maybe that's why I haven't been sleeping - I thought the gaba just wasn't working.

GirlyMuscle
01-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I found I needed to up the dose on GABA. Sledge has a powdered form that states 1/4tsp as a dosage. I use a rounded teaspoon.

blu2xtreme
01-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I found I needed to up the dose on GABA. Sledge has a powdered form that states 1/4tsp as a dosage. I use a rounded teaspoon.

I was using ZMA - I never relax enough to sleep well
I will try more - see if that helps out
I workout late at night which doesn't help

GirlyMuscle
01-10-2010, 08:04 PM
I just need to do something during the day. Yesterday I missed the gym, no sex (not with anyone anyway) so I had too much energy left over at the end of the day, I guess. I need something to burn it off. Today I'm hitting the gym early and then cleaning the whole house in preparations of Sledge coming home. Not that it will matter...he's not going to see much more than the bedroom for the first 24 hours. ;)

So anyway, yeah, that and GABA will have me sleeping good tonight.

Ninja Loco
01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Id ask you if you had a sister but.........no. Just no.

GirlyMuscle
01-10-2010, 08:08 PM
She's married and not your type at all.

GirlyMuscle
01-10-2010, 11:02 PM
TMI for the guys so fingers in your ears.

I just found out why I was so bitchy/cranky yesterday. Aunt Flo decided to visit again today. I'm pissed...it's only been two weeks since she left!

GeminiJedi
01-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Ewwwwwwwwwww...that sucks!

blu2xtreme
01-10-2010, 11:57 PM
So glad I don't have to deal with that anymore - hell I haven't had to deal with it since I was 32 - hysterectomy - best thing ever.
Only bad thing is I never have a reason to be bitchy:hypno:

Ninja Loco
01-10-2010, 11:59 PM
She's married and not your type at all.
I know. And thank God.

GirlyMuscle
01-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Don't worry. You aren't her type either.

GirlyMuscle
01-11-2010, 03:02 AM
Since I missed the gym yesterday I kind of combined two workouts. I did delts, tris and bis, dropped the abs. I can do some abs training from home tomorrow.

DB Press
w/u

Acclimation sets
1x3@15 (33)
[email protected] (38.5)

working sets
[email protected] (49)

I can't get the 25kgs up by myself. I think maybe next time I will try to since Sledge will be there to give me a little push. Since I can knock out the reps I went a little higher than the plan called for.

Standing Military Press
1x6@40 (88)
1x5@45 (99)

DB Side laterals
[email protected] (28)

Close Grip Bench
1x6@50 (110)
1x6@55 (121)

Can go higher next time.

[email protected] (54)
[email protected] (58)

This machine is ghey. First, it's weighted in really weird numbers. Second, the way it's levered makes it harder. I mean, on most cable machines I can do over 100. On this one I barely make it into the 50s.

Seated Overhead DB Press
[email protected] (49)

Could really feel this in my left delt..not in a good way either.

Straight Bar Curls
w/u
3x10@ 12.5 (28)

acclimation sets
1x3@20 (44)
1x3@25 (55)

working sets
2x6@35 (77)

Hammer Curls
1x6@15 (33)
[email protected] (38.5)

Hmmm...need to go up on this one as well.

EZ Curls
2x6@30 (66)

Too easy...need to go up next time.

I've decided to cut back on the carbs a little. I feel like I'm putting on bodyfat a little too fast. I'm not going to diet or go keto yet though because Sledge has the next 3 weeks off and we're going to do touristy things. I don't want to be strict dieting through that. So I'll just have carbs during our cheats and outings.

Mac
01-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Hi Girly, great journal! Keep up the hard work.