PDA

View Full Version : Freebird's Lean Bulk

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Mac
01-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Progress picts I have posted are revealing enough for me.

I liked those pictures. :yep:

Not revealing enough for me. :no:

bodyhard
01-18-2010, 12:00 PM
I went to bed at 10 last night. Didn't get up until 9:30 when the phone rang!!!

Now that is what I am talking about :D :D

freebirdmac
01-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Chest and quads

Chest:

Bb incline
65x12
85x10
95x10
105x8
110x5

Db flat
35x10
40x8
45x6

HS decline
90x10
110x8
130x6

Cable mid chest
30x10
40x8
45x6

Quads

Leg press
270x10
360x10
410x10
450x8
500x6

Vertical leg press (Matrix)
180x10
230x10
270x8

Leg extension
125x10x2 (toes in, toes out)
135x10 (feet straight)

My left shoulder is really hating chest day. Not really the shoulder but a tendon just above the shoulder blade. I didn't feel it until decline on the HS machine. Cables made it worse. I wonder if I'll have to dumb decline HS like I did decline bb. Next week we'll do db decline so I'll see if that's an issue too. Crossing my arms in front of me to pull off a shirt is not fun. I think this is why my left pect was bothersome last week. Tendonitis in that shoulder blade area tends to wrap around and affect my chest. Bring on the Motrin!

Bob45
01-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Nice heavy workout. Sorry to hear about the shoulder.

freebirdmac
01-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Back and traps

Back:

Pullups
BWx10
10x10x2
(I can tell we haven't done these in a few weeks and that we had a good chest workout last night)

Wide grip pull downs
70x10
75x8
80x6

Close grip pulldowns
70x10
75x8
80x6
(Need to go up next time)

FM mach cable pull down
70x10
80x8
90x6

Good Mornings
65x12
85x10
95x8
105x6
(Much better rom on last set. Getting close to next weight)

Traps:

Upright rows:
35x10
(felt left pec. Again. Started second set with the idea that if it got worse I'd stop. It did and so did I)

I'm so glad tomorrow is a rest day. Although I have a dentist appointment at 8am. Hopefully the numbing agent we chose won't send me to the ER :eek:

Mac
01-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Oh God, the dentist. My worst fears are going there.

Nice work out. I hope that pectoris muscle heals soon.

Bob45
01-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Back and traps

Back:

Pullups
BWx10
10x10x2
(I can tell we haven't done these in a few weeks and that we had a good chest workout last night)

Wide grip pull downs
70x10
75x8
80x6

Close grip pulldowns
70x10
75x8
80x6

FM mach cable pull down
70x10
80x8
90x6

Good Mornings
65x12
85x10
95x8
105x6

Traps:

Upright rows:
35x10
(felt left pec. Again. Started second set with the idea that if it got worse I'd stop. It did and so did I)

I'm so glad tomorrow is a rest day. Although I have a dentist appointment at 8am. Hopefully the numbing agent we chose won't send me to the ER :eek:

You are great at pullups! Maybe you need a pec massage to make it better. :yep:

gman
01-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Hope the dentist goes well...that's one of my phobias

freebirdmac
01-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Oh God, the dentist. My worst fears are going there.

Nice work out. I hope that pectoris muscle heals soon.

Hope the dentist goes well...that's one of my phobias

Mine too! I hate just getting my teeth cleaned! But I have genetic gum recession and a root is showing. It's got some staining that couldn't be cleaned out. So he's going to fill the area. Once I get the shot over with I'll be ok. I hate the shot! Always hurts like a mofo :mad:

freebirdmac
01-19-2010, 08:50 PM
You are great at pullups! Maybe you need a pec massage to make it better. :yep:

Nice try Bob :)

gman
01-19-2010, 08:51 PM
He isn't shy, is he?

freebirdmac
01-20-2010, 10:42 AM
I survived the dentist. He had some plain carbocaine without sulfites or a vasoconstrictor. I'm going to behind on my meals while I wait for the feeling to come back. It's been over two hours and it was tough just to eat a spoonful of sunflower butter. And this stuff is supposed to wear off quickly!

Everyone be careful! One coworker in his 50's fell in his bathroom/bathtub (not sure of the entire story). Banged himself up pretty good and is home for the week. Another coworker texted me at 6am this morning. His wife fell down the stairs and needed 15 staples in her head. So watch your step everyone!!!

Bob45
01-20-2010, 10:47 AM
The last time I went to the dentist I had a crown put in. The numbness lasted forever. I ate a snadwich and didn't realize I was chewing on my lip also. What a mess.

bodyhard
01-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Back and traps

Back:

Pullups
BWx10
10x10x2

Wide grip pull downs
70x10
75x8
80x6

Close grip pulldowns
70x10
75x8
80x6

FM mach cable pull down
70x10
80x8
90x6

Good Mornings
65x12
85x10
95x8
105x6

Traps:

Upright rows:
35x10

Question, why so many width and no thickness exercises for the back?

freebirdmac
01-20-2010, 10:53 AM
The last time I went to the dentist I had a crown put in. The numbness lasted forever. I ate a snadwich and didn't realize I was chewing on my lip also. What a mess.

Yeah the stuff he would normally use blocks pain better and lasts longer. This stuff is lasting long enough. I know he loaded me up but I still felt a twinge every now and then. I'm screwed if I need something significant done.

As my dentist said, people complain about how long the numbness lasts, but they don't complain while they are in the chair :)

tifflex
01-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Good back workout! How do you like GM's?

freebirdmac
01-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Good back workout! How do you like GM's?

I like them a lot. I've been doing them straight legged but have yet to feel them in my hamstrings. Just lower back. I assume as the weight goes up that'll change and I'll have to switch to bent leg GMs. Which feel really weird to me!

There is a group of heavy lifting guys in the gym when I'm there. Nice guys really pushing some weight around. One asked me about GMs and I said I hoped they'd help my deadlifts. Soon after I saw one of the guys doing them. Dunno if it was my example or coincidence but it was the first time I saw anyone doing GMs :)

HeavyDutyGuy
01-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Monday's workout:

Chest:
bb flat bench 65x12
85x12
95x10
105x8
115x6 (w/a bit of help for last two)
85x12

bb decline bench 65x12
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x6
85x12
(and here I thought decline would suck after already doing flat)

db incline 25x12
30x10
35x8
40x6 (ready for 45)
(just so ya know, I do not get the db up by myself. Max helps me get them in position)

cable flyes 30x10
35x8
40x6 (35 was easy, this was hard)

Quads:

Leg press (PWO): 180x12
230x10
270x10
320x10
360x8
410x6 (ready for 460 but also felt this set in lower back)
(this is a 45 degree machine, feet mid way up, about shoulder width, going low)

Extension: 110x10 (toes out)
110x10 (toes in)
120x10 (toes straight)
(we do these last but tonight someone was on the machine we needed next)

Vertical press: 140x10
PWO 180x10
230x8
270x6
(Haven't done these in over a year. Using a Matrix (Smith-like), lying on a bench, feet shoulder width)

Nice one! Pretty good numbers, especially with the volume. Now about this "lean bulking" thing...

HeavyDutyGuy
01-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Birdie...we need a thong shot like Blu's in order to further evaluate your fat. ;)

Baldie

Thong shots? What thong shots??

freebirdmac
01-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Nice one! Pretty good numbers, especially with the volume. Now about this "lean bulking" thing...

Wut? I should gain 15 pounds just to get 5 pounds of muscle?

HeavyDutyGuy
01-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Wut? I should gain 15 pounds just to get 5 pounds of muscle?

Who said THAT? Certainly not me. I haven't gone more than 18 lbs over my last contest- fat, water and all. (Unlike last (or previous) years when I had to sheed 30+ lbs to cut up) Just that 'lean' 'bulk' is a contradiction in terms. Just build muscle! You will gain SOME fat, but honestly, if you eat right, it won't be much. Arthur Jones used to make people get lean first, THEN build muscle... they usually ended up looking dam good. Harder, but better .(and healthier) approach, I now believe. Best part? No extreme keto diets or hours on the treadmill. You get to keep what you've built/..

freebirdmac
01-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Who said THAT? Certainly not me. I haven't gone more than 18 lbs over my last contest- fat, water and all. (Unlike last (or previous) years when I had to sheed 30+ lbs to cut up) Just that 'lean' 'bulk' is a contradiction in terms. Just build muscle! You will gain SOME fat, but honestly, if you eat right, it won't be much. Arthur Jones used to make people get lean first, THEN build muscle... they usually ended up looking dam good. Harder, but better .(and healthier) approach, I now believe. Best part? No extreme keto diets or hours on the treadmill. You get to keep what you've built/..

Then we're on the same page. You just defined lean bulk :)

gman
01-20-2010, 08:09 PM
I am gonna do one someday. Need to get lean first, then build it back up the right way this time!

freebirdmac
01-20-2010, 08:13 PM
I am gonna do one someday. Need to get lean first, then build it back up the right way this time!

We will hound you to death if you go back to you old ways!

gman
01-20-2010, 08:21 PM
You mean I can't go to DQ and get a medium Reese's Cup Blizard 4 days running? I have done that in the not too distant past!

freebirdmac
01-20-2010, 08:28 PM
You mean I can't go to DQ and get a medium Reese's Cup Blizard 4 days running? I have done that in the not too distant past!

No, and you won't want to! After eating clean for so long you're going to find that a lot of old foods do not taste as good and/or make you physically ill. As long as you don't force yourself to eat them and re-acclimate to foods your body really doesn't want, you'll find staying in line is much easier.

HeavyDutyGuy
01-20-2010, 08:28 PM

Yeah I think we are. I'm just a stickler for defining terms. Damed objectivist training! Lol. History- Bill Pearl was probably the biggest (literally) advocate of bulking up - ie training heavy and eating tons of food, gaining 30 to 50 lbs, then reversing the whole process and cutting down, via faster workout tempos and a strict diet. Worked great for Bill. Problem is, you gained a lot of fat with the muscle- bulk is muscle and fat, not muscle. When you diet down, many ended up losing the muscle along with the fat. Many (Ferrigno, Mentzer, Bass, etc) found this out and stopped doing it. By the 70's, according to Charles Gaines in "Pumping Iron" (the book), "the best bodybuilders don't bulk and cut any more. Thet bomb all the time, keeping the muscle near the surface. They hardly ever have a lot of fat to lose". In the late 70's and 80's bulking was really anathema, you didn't catch Arnold, Zane, Robinson, Haney, Gaspari going up 30 or 50 lbs between shows. They often went DOWN, then trained back up. With the advent of more powerful bodybuilding drugs by the 90's such as symthetic GH, insulin, more advanced steroids, T3, Clen etc etc. Some went back to the bulk and cut..

freebirdmac
01-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Yeah I think we are. I'm just a stickler for defining terms. Damed objectivist training! Lol. History- Bill Pearl was probably the biggest (literally) advocate of bulking up - ie training heavy and eating tons of food, gaining 30 to 50 lbs, then reversing the whole process and cutting down, via faster workout tempos and a strict diet. Worked great for Bill. Problem is, you gained a lot of fat with the muscle- bulk is muscle and fat, not muscle. When you diet down, many ended up losing the muscle along with the fat. Many (Ferrigno, Mentzer, Bass, etc) found this out and stopped doing it. By the 70's, according to Charles Gaines in "Pumping Iron" (the book), "the best bodybuilders don't bulk and cut any more. Thet bomb all the time, keeping the muscle near the surface. They hardly ever have a lot of fat to lose". In the late 70's and 80's bulking was really anathema, you didn't catch Arnold, Zane, Robinson, Haney, Gaspari going up 30 or 50 lbs between shows. They often went DOWN, then trained back up. With the advent of more powerful bodybuilding drugs by the 90's such as symthetic GH, insulin, more advanced steroids, T3, Clen etc etc. Some went back to the bulk and cut..

I agree, terminology can hang people up. At another place "lean bulk" came to replace "bulking" for that very reason. So women wouldn't think they had to gain a bunch of fat in order to gain muscle. I'm totally sold on gaining muscle with minimal fat gains. Old Superman has a great article on it and has lived it. Baldy is doing the same thing for the first time. Makes total sense to me.

HeavyDutyGuy
01-20-2010, 09:05 PM
I agree, terminology can hang people up. At another place "lean bulk" came to replace "bulking" for that very reason. So women wouldn't think they had to gain a bunch of fat in order to gain muscle. I'm totally sold on gaining muscle with minimal fat gains. Old Superman has a great article on it and has lived it. Baldy is doing the same thing for the first time. Makes total sense to me.

Figures the contradixctory terms had something to do with women! Lol. I believe you're on the right road. Baldie and I talked at some length about this a while back. Growing into a show. And look at him now! I read Ed's article and it was a good read. While others are dying on almostno to very low carbs and spending half their life on a treadmill for 20 weeks, he, Baldie and I, will still be building muscle, albeit eating "clean"- hate that term too..then ramp it up the last 8-10 weeks ... its funny, because all that fat doesn't help really ---i'm 19 lbs lighter than last Jan and much stronger. Keep it up!

freebirdmac
01-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Figures the contradixctory terms had something to do with women! Lol. I believe you're on the right road. Baldie and I talked at some length about this a while back. Growing into a show. And look at him now! I read Ed's article and it was a good read. While others are dying on almostno to very low carbs and spending half their life on a treadmill for 20 weeks, he, Baldie and I, will still be building muscle, albeit eating "clean"- hate that term too..then ramp it up the last 8-10 weeks ... its funny, because all that fat doesn't help really ---i'm 19 lbs lighter than last Jan and much stronger. Keep it up!

Thanks! I figure I have at least two years of gaining ahead of me. Working on pound number 5 now :) I eat 130-160g of carbs and am bad at not doing cardio. Yet I don't have the tell tale belly pooch.

I'm not looking to compete, I just want to look like I could if I wanted to. And not look like a typical 50 year old woman!

kimm4
01-21-2010, 01:04 AM

Lean bulk FTW!!

How's goes it Pam? I'm trying to catch up!!

freebirdmac
01-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Lean bulk FTW!!

How's goes it Pam? I'm trying to catch up!!

It's going fine! Slow but steady progress. There's the usual aches and pains but no real injuries. Shoulders and hams tonight!

Bob45
01-21-2010, 08:25 AM
What song is it you want to hear?! Freebird! Good mornng Pam.

Mac
01-21-2010, 08:27 AM
From one mac to another. Good morning !

freebirdmac
01-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Songwriters: Collins, Allen;Vanzant, Ronald

If I leave here tomorrow
Would you still remember me?
For I must be travelling on, now,
'Cause there's too many places I've got to see.
But, if I stayed here with you, girl,
Things just couldn't be the same.
'Cause I'm as free as a bird now,
And this bird you can not change.
Lord knows, I can't change.

Bye, bye, its been a sweet love.
Though this feeling I can't change.
But please don't take it badly,
'Cause Lord knows I'm to blame.
But, if I stayed here with you girl,
Things just couldn't be the same.
Cause I'm as free as a bird now,
And this bird you'll never change.
And this bird you can not change.
Lord knows, I can't change.
Lord help me, I can't change.

buckimscl
01-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Excellent song Free!!! Grew up with Southern Rock and it was an anthem to say the least. Thanks for taking the time to type out the lyrics.

bodyhard
01-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Question, why so many width and no thickness exercises for the back?

Did you just avoided this question or did you not see it?

freebirdmac
01-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Did you just avoided this question or did you not see it?

Oh! I didn't see it!
We alternate focus each week. One week it's all rows, the next week it's all pulls. We got off track one week, can't remember why, and repeated rows. Personally I'm far more concerned about thickness. I turn sideways and I disappear. But I do have a small waist so width is ok, but doesn't buy me as much.

bodyhard
01-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Oh! I didn't see it!
We alternate focus each week. One week it's all rows, the next week it's all pulls. We got off track one week, can't remember why, and repeated rows. Personally I'm far more concerned about thickness. I turn sideways and I disappear. But I do have a small waist so width is ok, but doesn't buy me as much.

You know that great thickness in the back, even shows in a front view.

freebirdmac
01-21-2010, 12:54 PM
You know that great thickness in the back, even shows in a front view.

Hadn't thought about that. Truthfully, I need everything everywhere! So nothing gets left out.

bodyhard
01-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Hadn't thought about that. Truthfully, I need everything everywhere! So nothing gets left out.

:) Now that is what I am talking about!

freebirdmac
01-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Shoulders/hams/glutes

Shoulders:

Seated front press (Matrix)
65x12
85x10
95x6
(I was so sleepy starting out that I forgot to do 75# :eek:. The last set is still tough for me)

HS press
70x10
80x8
90x6

Rear flye machine
50x10
55x8
60x6

Front raises (bb)
20x10x3
(left pec wasn't a problem!)

Hams/glutes

Box squats
65x10
85x10
95x8
105x6
(No bouncing)

RDL
115x12
135x10
145x8
155x6

Kneeling single-leg curl
50x10
60x8
70x4
(couldn't make it to 6 on last set. Hams were done)

Abductor/adductor
135x12x3/60x12x3

Cable kickbacks
45x10
50x8
55x6

Mac
01-21-2010, 07:24 PM
That's quite the workout. Good job !

Bob45
01-21-2010, 07:52 PM
How did you like the box squats? What is HS? It isn't coming to me.

freebirdmac
01-21-2010, 08:08 PM
How did you like the box squats? What is HS? It isn't coming to me.

I need box squats to help me strengthen whatever muscles are used to get out of the hole during atg squats. My quads can take so much more than 105#. It sucks. I'll see how they go. One bad thing is the lowest "box" I could find only has me at parallel. I'd like something just a bit lower. Damn short legs.

HS = Hammer Strength

HeavyDutyGuy
01-21-2010, 08:52 PM
I need box squats to help me strengthen whatever muscles are used to get out of the hole during atg squats. My quads can take so much more than 105#. It sucks. I'll see how they go. One bad thing is the lowest "box" I could find only has me at parallel. I'd like something just a bit lower. Damn short legs.

HS = Hammer Strength

Nice strategy! You look pretty long legged in your icon pic, how tall are you? If its problems getting out of the hole, its glute, some hamstrings - (and maybe even lower back- I can't even get IN the hole- at 6'2" long torso- waay tooo much back bend..). PS to parallel is all you need for quads (and even hams). That's what both Eric Bui and Mike Mentzer (or a bit below) told me. They both had insane legs...

bodyhard
01-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Shoulders/hams/glutes

Shoulders:

Seated front press (Matrix)
65x12
85x10
95x6
(I was so sleepy starting out that I forgot to do 75# :eek:. The last set is still tough for me)

HS press
70x10
80x8
90x6

Rear flye machine
50x10
55x8
60x6

Front raises (bb)
20x10x3
(left pec wasn't a problem!)

Hams/glutes

Box squats
65x10
85x10
95x8
105x6
(No bouncing)

RDL
115x12
135x10
145x8
155x6

Kneeling single-leg curl
50x10
60x8
70x4
(couldn't make it to 6 on last set. Hams were done)

Abductor/adductor
135x12x3/60x12x3

Cable kickbacks
45x10
50x8
55x6

How did you feel on the box squats? Were they uncomfortable? How many inches was the box off the floor?

Mac
01-21-2010, 09:02 PM
N That's what both Eric Bui and Mike Mentzer (or a bit below) told me. They both had insane legs...

Do you know Eryk personally? I have spoken with and corresponded with him at great lengths. He is a great person too.

His conditioning was among the best.

freebirdmac
01-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Nice strategy! You look pretty long legged in your icon pic, how tall are you? If its problems getting out of the hole, its glute, some hamstrings - (and maybe even lower back- I can't even get IN the hole- at 6'2" long torso- waay tooo much back bend..). PS to parallel is all you need for quads (and even hams). That's what both Eric Bui and Mike Mentzer (or a bit below) told me. They both had insane legs...

I'm 5'4" with a long torso. I'd think if I can deadlift 155 and curl 70 with one leg that it wouldn't be a problem with my glutes or hams. :dunno:

How did you feel on the box squats? Were they uncomfortable? How many inches was the box off the floor?

They felt fine. I paused on the box but tried to keep it very brief. On the last set I have a bit of a wobble, but nowhere near as much as I would if I were doing atg squats. I should be able to go up a bit next week. I know my upper body is tight and stays in form.

I don't know how tall the box is, but I'm pretty much at parallel when I sit.

bodyhard
01-21-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm 5'4" with a long torso. I'd think if I can deadlift 155 and curl 70 with one leg that it wouldn't be a problem with my glutes or hams. :dunno:

They felt fine. I paused on the box but tried to keep it very brief. On the last set I have a bit of a wobble, but nowhere near as much as I would if I were doing atg squats. I should be able to go up a bit next week. I know my upper body is tight and stays in form.

I don't know how tall the box is, but I'm pretty much at parallel when I sit.

When and if you can, get a lower box just slightly below parallel.

HeavyDutyGuy
01-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Do you know Eryk personally? I have spoken with and corresponded with him at great lengths. He is a great person too.

His conditioning was among the best.

Yep. Met him at a few of my shows, he even judged a couple. I agree, he's a great guy! I asked him for help on my squat, next thing you know, in the crowded lobby mind you, he's having me free squat and working on my form, making suggestions! How many pros nowadays would do that? He had great arms too in person..

gman
01-21-2010, 09:53 PM
I need to meet him...I can hardly squat with body weight...I tend to come up on my heels. Having weight on helps push me down

HeavyDutyGuy
01-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Hmm, perplexed now..if quads aren't the problem, and its not glute or hams (which are the primary movers out of the whole)0, what's left? Adductors?

HeavyDutyGuy
01-21-2010, 09:58 PM
I need to meet him...I can hardly squat with body weight...I tend to come up on my heels. Having weight on helps push me down

Mike, or both of you, try this, dont think of squatting, think of sitting down, then once you're as far down as you need to go, think of Leg Pressing the floor out from under you....push through it...

buckimscl
01-22-2010, 06:42 AM
Hey Free just wanted to stop in for some Friday attention.

Bob45
01-22-2010, 11:52 AM

HS = Hammer Strength

HS, I knew it was something easy. So I guess you aren't sure if you like the box squats yet or not. Do they have a low bench around? Mine is low and worked good for me.

bodyhard
01-22-2010, 12:09 PM
This guy truly nails how to properly squat.

wY4gwVlO_k0

freebirdmac
01-22-2010, 12:37 PM
HS, I knew it was something easy. So I guess you aren't sure if you like the box squats yet or not. Do they have a low bench around? Mine is low and worked good for me.

I do like them. I feel though that I need a lower box. What I'm using is a seat with no back. It's the lowest thing around and would get most people lower than parallel. Just not short me. I'm going to ask around and see if there's something else I can use.

This guy truly nails how to properly squat.

Nice video! Flexibility and GM'ing aren't a problem. It must be more of an adductor issue. I'll keep at it!

bodyhard
01-22-2010, 12:41 PM
I do like them. I feel though that I need a lower box. What I'm using is a seat with no back. It's the lowest thing around and would get most people lower than parallel. Just not short me. I'm going to ask around and see if there's something else I can use.

Nice video! Flexibility and GM'ing aren't a problem. It must be more of an adductor issue. I'll keep at it!

Pam, you can go to home depot and have them build one for you. Or if you know how you can build one yourself. It is really easy.

The video was for the guys :)

freebirdmac
01-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Pam, you can go to home depot and have them build one for you. Or if you know how you can build one yourself. It is really easy.

The video was for the guys :)

Hehe, I already take a gym bag full of toys they don't have at the gym. I can see me walking in with a box :D

I've seen some of those platforms used for step aerobics around. Just the base parts, not the top. I'll quiz some of the trainers and figure something out.

bodyhard
01-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Hehe, I already take a gym bag full of toys they don't have at the gym. I can see me walking in with a box :D

I've seen some of those platforms used for step aerobics around. Just the base parts, not the top. I'll quiz some of the trainers and figure something out.

Do it Pam that will make you the hardest-core-female in the whole fucking gym!! Then leave it there for other people to use it :D

freebirdmac
01-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Biceps:

Incline curls
10x12 (what a waste of energy)
15x10
20x7 (one arm at a time)
20x10 (two arms at a time, worked better)
20x7 (two arms at a time)

Rope curls
55x10
60x8
65x6

Lying wide curls
75x10
80x8
85x6

Concentration curls
20x15...... one arm only then I walked out of the gym

Let me explain...

Max started training me a bit over two years ago at a local community center. He charged $15 per session which was/is a bargain for his knowledge, experience, and work ethic. He was able to do this as he did not work for the community center and they didn't mind him training there. Within 9 months he was working out with me. A year ago I knew I wanted more out of gym and looked into Gold's Gym. Once I walked in and saw what they had I knew I'd never go back to the community center. Max wanted to move with me but there were money issues. He had lost his 17 year long job and had to take an hourly wage job so money was tight. The community center had started getting pissy about him training people there so that really wasn't a loss. So I agreed to pay his membership out of what I'd normally pay him weekly. I also thought he'd eventually get a better job or pick up another part time job. Which he has tried to do but nothing has panned out. While I sympathize with him I also feel that after a year I'm being taken advantage of. He's a workout partner, not a trainer to me anymore. I'm essentially helping to support him. I even think how many days we work out is based on the money, not on what may make sense from a workout stance.

Now while I have sympathy for the bad job situation I do not like the sometimes underlying tone that somehow I still need him as a trainer. Yes, having a spotter is great. Yes, having someone occasionally correct my form is nice. Yes having someone experienced to go over what program I'd like to try is great. But don't turn this into anything other than what it has become. Which is simply supplemental income. There are times when he will jump in to "help" me finish a set when it's not needed or correct my form when I know there was nothing wrong. There's more than one motivation for this as well.

Which brings me to another aspect that has been grating on my nerves. Max is very good at paying attention to clients. Always has been. He doesn't chat with other people or get on the phone when he's with a client. He is very good at spotting, believes in forced reps to finish a set, and gets up close and personal as needed. Whether the client is male or female. He's taken that to a new level at times since we joined this new gym. Everyone there, unless I have corrected them, think we are a couple. At times he spots someone who he thinks is checking me out and needlessly hugs, grabs my hand, or does something to make it look like we are a couple. This in particular I have had enough of. We are not a couple!!! I think he is afraid I'll start seeing someone else in the gym and he'll lose me so he acts that way. He has a girlfriend that he lives with and he knows I have no interest so I know that's not it. I do not care to be anyone's gym girlfriend nor do I care to have anyone in the gym think we are a couple.

I'm ranting and rambling but I've been on a slow boil for awhile. My good nature is wearing out. I've outgrown this relationship and don't care to be taken advantage of anymore. Today he knew I was being quiet and had things on my mind. I was not ready to talk to him. Too much anger building up below the surface and I didn't trust my mouth. So he tries to hug, I say no. He wants to spot me on incline curls by straddling me, I say get off. So I get my form corrected on rope curls. He starts to jump in to "save" me on the last set of lying curls, I told him to get out of my face (not meanly, I said it with a smile). So I get my form corrected on concentration curls. I had enough and knew I was going to boil over so I walked out. This is just fucked up. It's a shame too as we were really good workout partners. Drop the using me for money and trying to act like we're some sort of couple and it'd be great.

I'll see him Monday. Maybe I'll calm down enough by then. Right now I'm ready to tell him to hit the road with no room for him to show he can be different. There would be a lot of freedom in that. My workout times would no longer be constrained and my workouts could be designed for me alone. Some of my exercises would not be as heavy as they are now as I wouldn't have the safety of a spotter. Oh well. Chest will suffer the most. But that can be worked.

I'm normally a very calm person and I don't have a temper. But piss off this red-headed lady and you take your ears and your life in your own hands.

Mac
01-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Drop him. There is always someone who can spot you, for free.

You deserve better.

bodyhard
01-22-2010, 04:50 PM
I always thought he was your workout partner I never knew you were paying him as a PT.

partsRheavy
01-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Hi freebird -

Sorry I did not check here when I posted about the box squats. Obviously you've got those covered!!!!

He definitely got too close to you with that straddling thing!!!! I've NEVER seen anything like that go on in a gym. I've seen people doing the medicine ball toss where they sit with feet opposed to one another, but anything closer is definitely a NO GO in my book!!!!

I would definitely let him know that it wasn't proper. I can see how it is awkward paying his Gold's Gym membership every month, also. Has he not found any other clients for training so he could pay for his own membership?

Bob45
01-22-2010, 05:58 PM
He's gotta go!

Bob45
01-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Any more thoughts on what you are going to do about the training partner?

freebirdmac
01-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Any more thoughts on what you are going to do about the training partner?

Been thinking about it all day. For numerous reasons it's time to move on.
He's going to be pissed.

gman
01-23-2010, 08:18 PM
You do what you need to Pam...you know enough to go it alone. More than 99% of the trainers themselves.

freebirdmac
01-23-2010, 08:41 PM
You do what you need to Pam...you know enough to go it alone. More than 99% of the trainers themselves.

I know I can go it alone. He hasn't really been training me for quite some time. I let it slide as I knew how badly he needed the money. Well I need money too and it's time to stop.

I have 3 big reasons for ending this; money, scheduling, and his acting like we're a couple thing. It'll be a lot easier to workout at my convenience based on my schedule and my daughter's. The other two are self-explanatory. A bonus is having workouts designed solely for myself.

The cons are not having a spotter, not having that repertoire that makes workouts fun and pushes you harder, and not having someone anal about form. I can grab someone in the gym if I need to for spots or checking form. Like I said earlier some exercises will be lighter. Dumbbell work in particular, but I'll live. I think I'll do fine motivation wise.

Bob45
01-24-2010, 09:49 AM
I know I can go it alone. He hasn't really been training me for quite some time. I let it slide as I knew how badly he needed the money. Well I need money too and it's time to stop.

I have 3 big reasons for ending this; money, scheduling, and his acting like we're a couple thing. It'll be a lot easier to workout at my convenience based on my schedule and my daughter's. The other two are self-explanatory. A bonus is having workouts designed solely for myself.

The cons are not having a spotter, not having that repertoire that makes workouts fun and pushes you harder, and not having someone anal about form. I can grab someone in the gym if I need to for spots or checking form. Like I said earlier some exercises will be lighter. Dumbbell work in particular, but I'll live. I think I'll do fine motivation wise.

Why will DB work be lighter? Do they have cages their for squats and bench presses?

freebirdmac
01-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Why will DB work be lighter? Do they have cages their for squats and bench presses?

Db work will be lighter as I can't get 40+ db's up by myself. At least not yet.

Yep, we have 3 racks and one cage. I can drag a bench over for flat bb work. I can use a Smith like machine for incline if need be. Or even for flat.

Bob45
01-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Db work will be lighter as I can't get 40+ db's up by myself. At least not yet.

Yep, we have 3 racks and one cage. I can drag a bench over for flat bb work. I can use a Smith like machine for incline if need be. Or even for flat.

My elbow hurts when I lift them off the ground while sitting. So I pick them up off the floor while standing. Then sit on the bench with them on my thighs. When I lie down they are high up on my thighs and also leaning against my chest/stomach. After you lie down they are pretty much in position to lift. I could make a video if I'm not explaining it good. You could practice it with light one's and move up when you get the hang of it.

freebirdmac
01-25-2010, 05:35 PM
I didn't get much sleep last night. I think it was a combination of stressing over how Max would react and getting too much sleep on Sunday. I probably got about 3 hours of sleep :eek:

I also woke up to find the tendon behind my left shoulder bothering me. I think I aggravated it throwing a bunch of trash in a dumpster yesterday. I was smart and put a Motrin in my pocket this morning. But I forgot to take it!

Max called me this afternoon to say he couldn't train today. I went ahead and told him this was our last week working out together. He didn't ask why. We're supposedly working out tomorrow. We'll see.

So I was set up for an interesting workout this afternoon. I intentionally went lighter due to my shoulder and also because I wouldn't have a spotter. I've worked by myself maybe a handful of times so it's very different for me. I need to build up a bit of self confidence. That shouldn't be a problem. It's just a matter of adjusting to the new circumstances.

Chest:

Incline bb
65x10
85x10
95x6
(I had hoped to get to 105# but between my shoulder and lack of confidence I stopped)

HS press
50x10
60x6
(left shoulder said STOP!)

Flat db
30x10
35x10
(I have *never* even tried to get db's into position alone. It was something I should have been doing. Anyway I believe with some self confidence and a not so sore shoulder that I can get the 40's up. I don't know how much harder incline will be)

Seated cable flyes
30x10
35x10
40x6

Quads:

45 degree leg press
180x10
230x10
320x10
410x10
450x8
(did not do 500x6. My legs are short and I had to slide down in the seat to push the sled up enough to lock out. At lighter weights it's not a problem to stretch. At 450 right now I can't stretch enough. Sliding puts a strain on my back. Not too bad but enough. Eventually I'll be able to stretch at 450.)

Leg extensions
125x10x2
135x8

Standing 1-leg calf raises ss w/seated pedal calves
75x12x3/140x20, 160x20x2

Not too bad of a workout. If I can keep bb and db within 10 pounds of where I was working out with a spotter I'll be happy. I should be able to make up that territory soon enough. My body could probably use a break from forced reps and I can tell I'll be building something by getting the db's into position by myself.

Bob45
01-26-2010, 12:04 PM
My body could probably use a break from forced reps and I can tell I'll be building something by getting the db's into position by myself.

Sounds like you don't like my idea for getting db's into position. It works so easy for me. I use to struggle and lose a couple reps just getting them in position.

freebirdmac
01-26-2010, 12:07 PM
My elbow hurts when I lift them off the ground while sitting. So I pick them up off the floor while standing. Then sit on the bench with them on my thighs. When I lie down they are high up on my thighs and also leaning against my chest/stomach. After you lie down they are pretty much in position to lift. I could make a video if I'm not explaining it good. You could practice it with light one's and move up when you get the hang of it.

No, that's pretty much how I got them up for flat bench.

bodyhard
01-26-2010, 12:12 PM
No, that's pretty much how I got them up for flat bench.

Getting the DB's up comes with practice. And you will get stronger just as in any other lift and once perfected it will be extremely easy to get them up.

freebirdmac
01-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Back:

Bent over rows
65x12
85x10
95x8
(numbers were low. I just wasn't comfortable with Max hovering and felt really distracted)

One arm db rows
40x10
45x8
50x6

Seated close grip rows
80x10
85x8
90x6

Seated one arm rows
40x10
45x8
50x6

Things were a tad uncomfortable. Max went off to do traps, I had to wait for him to finish as he uses my versa grips. So I chatted with a few people. I completely forgot good mornings!!! This was our last workout together. I feel even more relieved than I thought I would. I love my freedom!! :D

gman
01-26-2010, 06:47 PM
I clean and press the damn db's up even with my shoulders and then sit down and lie back on the bench...not a good way to go about it, but I can't do the one motion thing when I am lying back like some guys can.

You are going to be just fine on your own, you know you will!

freebirdmac
01-26-2010, 06:52 PM
I clean and press the damn db's up even with my shoulders and then sit down and lie back on the bench...not a good way to go about it, but I can't do the one motion thing when I am lying back like some guys can.

You are going to be just fine on your own, you know you will!

Oh yeah, I will do fine. Better than fine! Now my workouts will be earlier, not during rush hours, and my workouts will solely be structured for me. No worrying about someone crossing the line with me either or having everyone think we are a couple. The other stuff like getting dumbbells up is just transient. I'll adapt pretty quickly.

Mac
01-26-2010, 07:03 PM
This was our last workout together. I feel even more relieved than I thought I would. I love my freedom!! :D

Good for you. You will thrive on your own!

freebirdmac
01-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Good for you. You will thrive on your own!

Thanks! I think I will too. It was time to clean house and make some changes.

HeavyDutyGuy
01-26-2010, 08:24 PM
About the workout partner. Weird. Never heard the whole "thinking were a couple" thing before. I don't personally use dbls much for chest, because how fun is it to 130's or more in position? Not very! But get a spot if you can. I don't know about the checking your form thing... that's what a trainers for, not other people doing their workouts. I'm sure you form is fine anyway, women usually have better form than men. The confidence?- guess you will build that in time, not sure, never had that issue. But I think its an experience thing sometimes. I do think it was a good move because you seem happy!

freebirdmac
01-26-2010, 08:38 PM
About the workout partner. Weird. Never heard the whole "thinking were a couple" thing before. I don't personally use dbls much for chest, because how fun is it to 130's or more in position? Not very! But get a spot if you can. I don't know about the checking your form thing... that's what a trainers for, not other people doing their workouts. I'm sure you form is fine anyway, women usually have better form than men. The confidence?- guess you will build that in time, not sure, never had that issue. But I think its an experience thing sometimes. I do think it was a good move because you seem happy!

Max crossed the line in how he spotted, when he spotted, and said things that were not appropriate. He intentionally at times did things to show anyone looking that we were a couple. Like grabbing my hand as we walked to the next station, or suddenly hugging me, or moving in too close. There were periods of time when he was fine. But inevitably he'd cross the line again. I think part of it was just not wanting anyone to tempt his workout partner away. Especially since he needed the money.

Now I'm no prude and I work in a field that is and has always been almost all male. I've learned how to handle stuff like this deftly. However at work I have no choice. I do however have a choice in the gym. And I choose not to deal with this crap.

It'll all be good. No, better!

Bob45
01-26-2010, 09:00 PM
You are good at db rows. 50 pounds for one arm is a lot. Those aren't so easy. They always get me winded.

freebirdmac
01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
You are good at db rows. 50 pounds for one arm is a lot. Those aren't so easy. They always get me winded.

Thanks! I do have to use versa grips for them. Otherwise I'd drop them. I'm close to going up in weight. Not sure yet if I can get 6 reps at 55 pounds yet.

gman
01-26-2010, 09:09 PM
one arm rows make me sweat worse than any other exercise I do. Have always wondered why. Probably because I hold my breath the whole set! lol

freebirdmac
01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
one arm rows make me sweat worse than any other exercise I do. Have always wondered why. Probably because I hold my breath the whole set! lol

Uh, yeah. That would do it!!!!

gman
01-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Intervals , in a whole different way!

freebirdmac
01-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Intervals , in a whole different way!

No. More like a way to cause yourself to pass out. Not to mention you won't be able to lift as much. Straighten that out Mike!

gman
01-26-2010, 09:19 PM
I am teasing, I breathe at least once during the set, honest

tifflex
01-27-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm glad things are resolved with Max:). Strong one arm rows:yep:!

freebirdmac
01-27-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm glad things are resolved with Max:). Strong one arm rows:yep:!

Thanks girl! I saw you were benching the 75# dumbbells! That is truly impressive :D

tifflex
01-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks girl! I saw you were benching the 75# dumbbells! That is truly impressive :D
Thank you! I think today was my 5th attempt at 75. Last week, I dropped back to 65s for 10-12 reps. Today, I wanted to try 75s again and nailed it.

I knew my chest could handle the weight, but getting the dumbbells up--after getting them in place--was the challenging point.

I just refuse to get weaker while losing fat. I realize that strength will eventually wane, but I don't expect that to happen until I'm a few weeks out.

I am very impressed with your strength:).

gman
01-27-2010, 03:22 PM
I wish I could do 75's!!!!

freebirdmac
01-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Thank you! I think today was my 5th attempt at 75. Last week, I dropped back to 65s for 10-12 reps. Today, I wanted to try 75s again and nailed it.

I knew my chest could handle the weight, but getting the dumbbells up--after getting them in place--was the challenging point.

I just refuse to get weaker while losing fat. I realize that strength will eventually wane, but I don't expect that to happen until I'm a few weeks out.

I am very impressed with your strength:).

Your strength and strength gains while cutting have been absolutely amazing! I've said it before... when you get on a bulk... holy freaking cow!

buckimscl
01-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Hey Free glad that situation was resolved.

freebirdmac
01-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Ahhhh, working out at 2:45 is soooo nice. No crowds :D

Shoulders/hams/glutes:

Shoulders

Seated press (Matrix)
barx12
65x10
85x7
85x6

HS press
70x10
80x7
80x6

Front bb raises
30x6x3
(20 was too light so going to 30 was only option)

Rear flyes
45x10
50x8
55x6
(need to go up)

Hams/glutes:

Box squats
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x2
(hehe, thought I'd get more than 2 on the last set. Once I touched the bench I was not getting back up. Leaned forward and dumped the bar on the rails. Then started laughing. Caught me off guard as they were feeling so good)

RDL
115x12
135x10
145x8
(Whew! I'm used to doing RDLs first, not after box squats. Felt a little sloppy on last set so called it done)

Kneeling sing leg curls
50x10
60x7
70x4
(My hammies threw up the white flag)

Abductor/adductor
140/65x12x3
(went up 5#)

Cable kickbacks
45x10
50x8
55x6

One more workout tomorrow then a new routine for next week!

Bob45
01-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Good thing you were in the cage. Did you miss Max?

freebirdmac
01-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Good thing you were in the cage. Did you miss Max?

Nope. Didn't miss him at all. I was much more relaxed. He'd have jumped right on box squats to make a show of "saving" me while teasing me and giving me "you shouldn't be trying that" looks. Nope. Don't miss him at all. Nothing wrong with safely failing on any exercise.

gman
01-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Great first training session on your own!

Down4whatever
01-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Funny how box squats are like that. I think lunges are the same way.....I failed on lunges this morning with 160lbs on my back, but after I was assited back up, I still had 4 more in me. It's all in the momentum.

freebirdmac
01-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Funny how box squats are like that. I think lunges are the same way.....I failed on lunges this morning with 160lbs on my back, but after I was assited back up, I still had 4 more in me. It's all in the momentum.

Yeah, I thought about trying another set. All of the previous sets felt so good. But it was my first try at that weight so I'll try again next week.

Were you doing walking lunges or in the rack?

Down4whatever
01-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I thought about trying another set. All of the previous sets felt so good. But it was my first try at that weight so I'll try again next week.

Were you doing walking lunges or in the rack?

I was in the rack, but I got too confident and had just stepped out of the rack for that set.....oops!

freebirdmac
01-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Arms and abs

Biceps:

Incline curls
15x10
20x10
20x8

Rope curls, no flare
50x10
55x8
60x6

Lying wide curls
75x10
80x8
85x6

Strive machine preacher
35x10
40x8
45x6

Triceps

V-bar push
85x10
95x8
105x6

Db press
30x10x2
30x8

OH, pause at flare
40x10
45x10
50x10

dips, as straight up as possible
10x10
25x10
25x8

Cable crunch, seated
100x10x4

New routine next week!!

Bob45
01-29-2010, 05:46 PM
I like those incline curls. If you don't pick your head up off the bench they are tough. A big drop in weight is needed from just being seated. Have you ever tried lying curls with a cable machine? Those are pretty good too.

freebirdmac
01-29-2010, 06:01 PM
I like those incline curls. If you don't pick your head up off the bench they are tough. A big drop in weight is needed from just being seated. Have you ever tried lying curls with a cable machine? Those are pretty good too.

Look again. I did lying (cable) curls :)
Incline curls kick my ass. They also highlight wrist weakness. I should have lowered the weights even further but I lose my ability to keep my wrist cocked. Once my wrist straightens up, game is over. I'll be at 20# for awhile.

Bob45
01-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Look again. I did lying (cable) curls :)
Incline curls kick my ass. They also highlight wrist weakness. I should have lowered the weights even further but I lose my ability to keep my wrist cocked. Once my wrist straightens up, game is over. I'll be at 20# for awhile.

Oh yeah you did. I need to step up my arm work a lot now. I think my elbow will handle it. At least I hope it will.

gman
01-29-2010, 07:49 PM
any hints on the next phase, Pam? Or are you going to figure it out this weekend while you play in the snow?

freebirdmac
01-29-2010, 07:50 PM
any hints on the next phase, Pam? Or are you going to figure it out this weekend while you play in the snow?

I'll get my marching orders this weekend. I'm anxious to see what it is I'm going to be doing :D

Bob45
01-29-2010, 09:05 PM
I'll get my marching orders this weekend. I'm anxious to see what it is I'm going to be doing :D

You have someone that follows your progress that makes up a routine? You seem to have the knowledge to do it on your own. You have done so many lifts and see how you react to them. I like making my own routines.

freebirdmac
01-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Unfortunately the snow changed to sleet around noon. So we won't get that foot of snow :(

Jessica is the bit of red. She was feeding the ducks.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/snow_10.jpg

gman
01-30-2010, 03:34 PM
never heard of sleet at 27 degrees...only around here could this be happening.

freebirdmac
01-30-2010, 03:37 PM
never heard of sleet at 27 degrees...only around here could this be happening.

Cold air ------ warm air ------- cold air ------- ground = sleet

If the cold air near the ground is thin enough you get freezing rain.

Sucks doesn't it.

Bob45
01-30-2010, 04:15 PM
You guys have more snow than us. We are supposed to get it.

blu2xtreme
01-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Cool pic Pam
It looks really cold
It is 60 and sunny here today but it was rainy and cold a few days ago

gman
01-30-2010, 06:35 PM
snow ended way before they said it would. around 5pm. It was supposed to snow up to midnight.

Oh well, at least we got some!

I am jealous of 60, but I do love snow too.

blu2xtreme
01-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Hey Pam
Did I remember you saying you have lactose deal

I don't have cottage cheese on weekends and I seem a lot less bloated on weekends - I really don't have much dairy otherwise
most of the time I use a lactose free whey
How did you figure out it was a problem?

freebirdmac
01-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey Pam
Did I remember you saying you have lactose deal

I don't have cottage cheese on weekends and I seem a lot less bloated on weekends - I really don't have much dairy otherwise
most of the time I use a lactose free whey
How did you figure out it was a problem?

I knew it was an issue for 20 some years. I ignored it as I loved milk, cheese, and yogurt. But t clearly bothered my tummy and gradually got worse. To the point I could not ignore it any longer. As it turned out the problem was with all forms of milk protein. I found that out when just using lactose free products didn't do the trick.

I think you are on to something. It's pretty common to develop an intolerance as we get older. I wonder how you'd feel if you didn't use the lactose free whey. At any rate, since you've made the connection, stay away from lactose :)

Bob45
01-31-2010, 09:08 AM
Did you get the new routine plans yet?

freebirdmac
01-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Did you get the new routine plans yet?

Not yet. Should get them today.

fatbackgoal
01-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Not yet. Should get them today.?

Who are you working with?

blu2xtreme
01-31-2010, 10:23 AM
I knew it was an issue for 20 some years. I ignored it as I loved milk, cheese, and yogurt. But t clearly bothered my tummy and gradually got worse. To the point I could not ignore it any longer. As it turned out the problem was with all forms of milk protein. I found that out when just using lactose free products didn't do the trick.

I think you are on to something. It's pretty common to develop an intolerance as we get older. I wonder how you'd feel if you didn't use the lactose free whey. At any rate, since you've made the connection, stay away from lactose :)

Thanks Pam
I am going to try and stay away from lactose this week and see how I do - it will be hard because I rely on bars and drinks so much but I definitely feel less bloated this week and I have had no cottage cheese and I eat a lot during the week - I also have a lot of oatmeal during the week so I guess it could be that also - will try eliminating the dairy first.

Bob45
01-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Unfortunately the snow changed to sleet around noon. So we won't get that foot of snow :(

Jessica is the bit of red. She was feeding the ducks.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/snow_10.jpg

Is this in back of your house? Is that a lake or are you right on the ocean?

gman
01-31-2010, 01:57 PM
I believe that is a tidal inlet, Bob

freebirdmac
01-31-2010, 02:04 PM
It's a lake. A borrow pit filled by rain and an underground spring. The removed soil was used in building either the Coliseum or the mall. Can't remember which. Good fishing but the fish taste like the bottom of the lake. Silty. We've got catfish, largemouth, stripers, crappie, and pan fish. Oh, and eels, turtles, ducks, egrets, geese, and muskrats. A waterskiing association governs use of the lake and takes priority.

gman
01-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Is that where they used to have the waterski ramp in the old days.

freebirdmac
01-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Is that where they used to have the waterski ramp in the old days.

Yep. Right beside I-64 just west of Mercury Blvd. The walls block the interstate now. I've been here 21 years.

Bob45
01-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Yep. Right beside I-64 just west of Mercury Blvd. The walls block the interstate now. I've been here 21 years.

How big is the lake? It looks nice. I love the water.

freebirdmac
01-31-2010, 03:06 PM
How big is the lake? It looks nice. I love the water.

I dunno, 14 acres or so?

freebirdmac
02-01-2010, 05:12 PM
So I was wrong. My new routine will start next week. As some of you have probably guessed, John (Bodyhard) will be writing my routines. It's going to be less volume, all about compound lifts, lower reps, and longer rests.

This week is more of the same.

Chest/quads:

Chest:

BB flat bench
65x10
85x10
95x8
105x6
(got a spot for the last one. Still having tendon issues near left shoulder blade)

DB incline
30x10
(yeouch! getting the db's up really cranked my left shoulder. It's pissing me off)

DB flat
30x10
35x10x2
(yeesh, I should be trying 50's but it's tough enough getting the 35's in position. I suck)

DB flye
25x10
30x10x2
(hadn't done these in awhile. better on my aching tendon than cable flyes)

Quads:

45 degree leg press
230x10
320x10
410x10
450x8
500x6
(got a spot on the last set in case I couldn't stretch enough to lock the sled back out. Felt good. With a spot to lock out I'd go up next time)

leg extensions
125x8x2
135x6x2
(felt heavy as shit tonight)

Calves:
Superset seated pedal with seated plate
140x20/70x12
160x20/90x10
180x20/100x10

Gym was more crowded than normal. Roads were really bad this am due to the weekend snow so a lot of people were off work. Main roads were great by this afternoon. Back roads and residential streets are still a mess. We get so little snowfall that it doesn't make sense for cities to budget money for snowplows or sand/salt. Only the main roads are plowed/treated.

I'm going to have to pull a bench into rack or cage for benches in the coming weeks so I can go heavy safely.

I really need this tendon crap to go away!

Bob45
02-01-2010, 05:32 PM
The new routine sounds like something I would like. Did you watch my workout video? I never had to lift the db's into position at all besides off the floor to my thighs. It's a matter of hanging on to them. Too bad you can't make a video how you are doing it.

gman
02-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Benching off a safety rack is a great chest exercise. It's a little too high up to engage the tris, so you end up using all chest.

You rack it in between each rep. sort of a deadlift for the chest!

Good luck with the new routines, it sounds like a good way to go for you, Pam.

freebirdmac
02-01-2010, 05:45 PM
The new routine sounds like something I would like. Did you watch my workout video? I never had to lift the db's into position at all besides off the floor to my thighs. It's a matter of hanging on to them. Too bad you can't make a video how you are doing it.

Getting them in a low position isn't the problem. It's getting them from that low position to what is normally my ending position. Which is higher. It's an unworked zone.

When I say getting in position what I really mean is my starting position for the exercise. Arms outstretched.

Bob45
02-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Getting them in a low position isn't the problem. It's getting them from that low position to what is normally my ending position. Which is higher. It's an unworked zone.

When I say getting in position what I really mean is my starting position for the exercise. Arms outstretched.

Got it.

freebirdmac
02-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Benching off a safety rack is a great chest exercise. It's a little too high up to engage the tris, so you end up using all chest.

You rack it in between each rep. sort of a deadlift for the chest!

Good luck with the new routines, it sounds like a good way to go for you, Pam.

Hmmm. Didn't know that. I wondered how the bars would line up for my rom.

gman
02-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Hmmm. Didn't know that. I wondered how the bars would line up for my rom.

In my gym, the bar height that allows me to slide under on the bench is such that I start with my arms bent at elbows just at about 90 degrees

here is an article on it

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler36.htm

he addresses weak points about halfway down the page

freebirdmac
02-01-2010, 06:47 PM
In my gym, the bar height that allows me to slide under on the bench is such that I start with my arms bent at elbows just at about 90 degrees

here is an article on it

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler36.htm

he addresses weak points about halfway down the page

Cool! Thanks Mike!

What's in the pict is what I call a cage. As opposed to the racks which only have the lower side rails plus the front tall frame for pins. Either will work. We have 1 cage and 3 racks.

kimm4
02-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Great work girl!

New program will be exciting! :)

bodyhard
02-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Hey just have to pop in and say that Pam is fucking hilarious on the phone, she kept making me laugh!

Also I love simply love the determination in this young ladies voice, real fucking deal here!!

Big Ups Pam!

Bob45
02-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Cool! Thanks Mike!

What's in the pict is what I call a cage. As opposed to the racks which only have the lower side rails plus the front tall frame for pins. Either will work. We have 1 cage and 3 racks.

Are you sure you don't have just one rack?

freebirdmac
02-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Hey just have to pop in and say that Pam is fucking hilarious on the phone, she kept making me laugh!

Also I love simply love the determination in this young ladies voice, real fucking deal here!!

Big Ups Pam!

Thanks John! It was you who had me laughing. The frog feet visual was too much! My daughter looked at me like I was nuts.

50 year old women like being called young lady :)

Are you sure you don't have just one rack?

Har har :p

freebirdmac
02-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Back/traps

Back:

Bent over rows
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x6
(All the way into the belly button. Felt good :D )

Pullups
bx10
bwx8x2
(tough tonight)

Seated close grip rows
80x10
85x8
90x6
(these went really well too. felt strong)

Good mornings
65x10
85x10
95x8
105x6
(still not ready to go up)

Traps:

Db shrugs
35x10x3
(haven't done these in months. started lighter)

Upright rows
35# plate x10x3

Overall a pretty good workout. Back is done.

Bob45
02-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Those are some good bentover rows. Everything else too.

Conrad
02-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Yes, those are some nice numbers. Looks like a nice solid workout.

tifflex
02-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Back/traps

Back:

Bent over rows
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x6

Pullups
bx10
bwx8x2
(tough tonight)

Seated close grip rows
80x10
85x8
90x6

Good mornings
65x10
85x10
95x8
105x6

Traps:

Db shrugs
35x10x3

Upright rows
35# plate x10x3

Amazing work Pam! Your bb rows and good mornings are very strong.

Do you mind sharing your current macros?

Have a great day!

Mac
02-03-2010, 07:03 AM
That's a great workout you did with some solid weight.

Are you officially a student of bodyhard now?

kimm4
02-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Back/traps

Back:

Bent over rows
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x6

Pullups
bx10
bwx8x2
(tough tonight)

Seated close grip rows
80x10
85x8
90x6

Good mornings
65x10
85x10
95x8
105x6

Traps:

Db shrugs
35x10x3

Upright rows
35# plate x10x3

Lot of work in here, looking solid Pam! :)

freebirdmac
02-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Amazing work Pam! Your bb rows and good mornings are very strong.

Do you mind sharing your current macros?

Have a great day!

I strive for close to 1900 cals (maintenance is around 1750 or so). Macros end up around 35/35/30. I was higher in protein initially. Then I saw the effect on my blood work so I dropped it back down. I'll still stay in the 140-160g range. Which shouldn't be too bad for weighing 112#.

That's a great workout you did with some solid weight.

Are you officially a student of bodyhard now?

Yep. He's working on my routine this week. I should get started on it on Monday.

Lot of work in here, looking solid Pam! :)

Thanks Kim!

freebirdmac
02-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I love living on the coast...

Fresh tuna, sliced right off the fish. Probably caught yesterday, never frozen, no crap added to it. Was $9.99/lb. Gets cheaper in the summer.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/Misc/tuna.jpg

joedemarco
02-03-2010, 09:05 PM
I love living on the coast...

Fresh tuna, sliced right off the fish. Probably caught yesterday, never frozen, no crap added to it. Was $9.99/lb. Gets cheaper in the summer.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/Misc/tuna.jpg

Agreed! Nothing better then living along the coast for fresh seafood!

freebirdmac
02-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Shoulders, hams, glutes

Shoulders:

Seated press (Matrix)
45x12
65x10
75x10
85x8
95x5

BB front raise
30x10
30x8x2

Rear flye mach
50x10
55x8
60x6

Side cable raises
15x10
15x8x2

Hams/glutes

Box squats
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x2

RDL
115x12
135x10
145x8
155x6

Seated curls
65x10
80x10x2

Abductor/adductor
145x12x3/65x12x3

Cable kickbacks
50x10
55x8
60x6

I am pooped and everything is sore. Except arms. That's tomorrow :D

blu2xtreme
02-04-2010, 06:33 PM
How are yo uliking the box squats?

Love the tuna - we have crap sea food out here , so I almost always use frozen

freebirdmac
02-04-2010, 06:38 PM
How are yo uliking the box squats?

Love the tuna - we have crap sea food out here , so I almost always use frozen

I'm liking them. I'll like them more when the numbers go up and start challenging my quads.

gman
02-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Get your arms sore too...we want every muscle equally sore so we don't notice how sore we are.

My hams are killing me from monday still

blu2xtreme
02-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Get your arms sore too...we want every muscle equally sore so we don't notice how sore we are.

Mike is so hard on me ...I never have a day I am not sore any more...guess I wasn't working myself very hard before.

Thanks Pam for suggesting I put numbers up - it has made me work harder.

freebirdmac
02-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Mike is so hard on me ...I never have a day I am not sore any more...guess I wasn't working myself very hard before.

Thanks Pam for suggesting I put numbers up - it has made me work harder.

Yep. Something always hurts. By Sunday evening I hope most soreness is gone as it all starts again on Monday.

You're welcome! Intensity does make a big difference when trying to grow muscles.

freebirdmac
02-04-2010, 06:52 PM

Mine too. And Monday was quads :eek:

Oh yeah, kill arms tomorrow and come home and hibernate during the weekend storm.

partsRheavy
02-04-2010, 07:08 PM
So ya had enough snow yet???? :p

freebirdmac
02-04-2010, 07:16 PM
So ya had enough snow yet???? :p

Phfftt. We did get 5" last weekend. Out of the 10-16 we were supposed to get.

partsRheavy
02-04-2010, 07:30 PM
We'll probably get about 5 inches this time.

Last weekend was 4 inches. December 19-20 was the big one, with a foot.

Mac
02-04-2010, 08:26 PM
What a bunch of lightweights. :yep:

We get 4 - 5 inches every other day. January 4 - 8 we got 44" of that white stuff.

freebirdmac
02-04-2010, 08:28 PM
What a bunch of lightweights. :yep:

We get 4 - 5 inches every other day. January 4 - 8 we got 44" of that white stuff.

I'd love that! Winter is useless unless it snows. May as well stay 70 year around.

gman
02-04-2010, 09:43 PM
35 degree rain is hell in my opinion...and that's what we get around here all the time

blu2xtreme
02-04-2010, 09:48 PM
35 degree rain is hell in my opinion...and that's what we get around here all the time

That is one reason I live in Vegas:)

Mac
02-04-2010, 09:52 PM
That is one reason I live in Vegas:)

I will be in Vegas in April. Need to find a good gym to workout during my 4 day stay.

blu2xtreme
02-04-2010, 10:08 PM
I will be in Vegas in April. Need to find a good gym to workout during my 4 day stay.

I work out at home but I hear the Golds on Flamingo is great
Are you staying on the Strip ?
I know that a lot of the Hotels have decent ( survivable ) fitness centers
Ask Mike I know he used his hotels place.

Mac
02-04-2010, 10:15 PM
We will be staying on the strip at Harrahs. I didn't make the plans, and I will learn the details later. Not much into gambling however.

gman
02-04-2010, 10:20 PM
We will be staying on the strip at Harrahs. I didn't make the plans, and I will learn the details later. Not much into gambling however.

harrah's was where I stayed...you can do ok there for a hotel gym

they had a smith machine at least, and a ez bar tree with different weights.

not great but I think it was good compared to other places I have stayed.

pricey though...I am thinking 20 a day, but can't remember

Mac
02-04-2010, 10:22 PM
pricey though...I am thinking 20 a day, but can't remember

You're kidding, they make you pay extra for the gym?

Isn't there a Gold's Gym on the strip or close by there? I would rather pay a day fee at one of those then 20 at a hotel.

The gyms at hotels can range from a treadmill and single dumbbell to some rather nicely equipped ones.

blu2xtreme
02-04-2010, 10:24 PM

Isn't there a Gold's Gym on the strip or close by there? I would rather pay a day fee at one of those then 20 at a hotel.

The gyms at hotels can range from a treadmill and single dumbbell to some rather nicely equipped ones.

Its not to far about 5 miles - if your renting a car no big deal
It's in a older area of town but everyone raves about it.

gman
02-04-2010, 10:24 PM

nothing is near the strip as far as gyms go

the gyms in the hotels are technically not run by the hotels...it's always in connection with the SPA! SPA=EXPENSIVE

freebirdmac
02-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Arms/abs

Biceps:

Incline curls
15x10
20x10
20x8

Rope curls, no flare
55x10
60x8
65x6

Lying wide curls
75x10
80x8
85x6

Triceps:

V-bar press
85x10
95x8
105x6

Skull crushers
30x10x3

Dips
10x10
25x10x2

Wrist curls ss w/reverse wrist curls
15x10/10x10
20x10x2/10x10x2
(needed to throw these in)

Abs:

Cable crunches
100x10x4

Was going to do more abs but my daughter texted me. Her class let out early.

freebirdmac
02-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Lousy dusting of snow.... should have been more.

And now I get to watch my daughter eat pizza. And smell it!!! Grrrr.

Mac
02-07-2010, 05:55 PM
I like the new avatar. You have great arms and shoulders!

freebirdmac
02-07-2010, 06:01 PM
I like the new avatar. You have great arms and shoulders!

Thanks! Gonna make them even better :)

freebirdmac
02-07-2010, 06:08 PM
New Routine Starts Monday!!!

In a nutshell:

Mon: Quads and shoulders
Tues: Back and traps
Thurs: Chest and abs (John is going to make me do more than crunches!)
Fri: Hams and calves

One to two very light warmups at 15-20 reps (no more pyramiding to working weight), 3 to 4 sets at working weight, 3 minute rest between sets, 4-5 minutes between exercises, 6-8 or 10 or 20 reps (depending on muscle group), all working sets to failure.

Looking at what is on tap for tomorrow, John is fucking crazy!!!! :D

tifflex
02-07-2010, 07:19 PM
New Routine Starts Monday!!!

In a nutshell:

Mon: Quads and shoulders
Tues: Back and traps
Thurs: Chest and abs (John is going to make me do more than crunches!)
Fri: Hams and calves

One to two very light warmups at 15-20 reps (no more pyramiding to working weight), 3 to 4 sets at working weight, 3 minute rest between sets, 4-5 minutes between exercises, 6-8 or 10 or 20 reps (depending on muscle group), all working sets to failure.

Looking at what is on tap for tomorrow, John is fucking crazy!!!! :D
I love it!

freebirdmac
02-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I love it!

You would! This is going to be right up your alley :)

freebirdmac
02-08-2010, 09:22 AM
There's going to be a 1 day delay in starting this new routine. I have a busted water pipe under my house and it looks like the plumber won't be able to get to it until later this afternoon. Wiping out gym time. The good news is shutting off water to the outside lines seems to have stopped unwanted water flow. And the break does not effect the inside of my house or my heat (uses hot water heater).

It might also be providence. My lats on the left side started talking, loudly, to me yesterday. The only thing I can figure is that I worked them so hard on Tues that when I did dips on Fri they got overstressed. So my plan is to do quads and shoulders tomorrow and skip back this week.

bodyhard
02-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Hey Pam sorry about the the pipe.

Was going to tell you why don't you give yourself one week layoff? this will actually be good for you. You will start the new routine fresh, body fully rested.

freebirdmac
02-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Hey Pam sorry about the the pipe.

Was going to tell you why don't you give yourself one week layoff? this will actually be good for you. You will start the new routine fresh, body fully rested.

Hmm. I thought about that. At least for upper body.

Bob45
02-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Should be interesting for sure. No direct arm work. I haven't been doing much of it either. It doesn't seem to make a difference. The heavy push pulls give you most of the size. The only thing I wouldn't be able to do is not acclimate. I always get hurt when I don't.

freebirdmac
02-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Should be interesting for sure. No direct arm work. I haven't been doing much of it either. It doesn't seem to make a difference. The heavy push pulls give you most of the size. The only thing I wouldn't be able to do is not acclimate. I always get hurt when I don't.

I've never not pyramided but John assures me it'll be ok. Really, my weights are so light that I'd only see a difference on leg press. Even with that we're changing my foot position so the weight will drop from before. Not a huge difference between light and heavy for my other exercises.

Bob45
02-08-2010, 11:50 AM
I've never not pyramided but John assures me it'll be ok. Really, my weights are so light that I'd only see a difference on leg press. Even with that we're changing my foot position so the weight will drop from before. Not a huge difference between light and heavy for my other exercises.

I was thinking that after I wrote it.

bodyhard
02-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Hmm. I thought about that. At least for upper body.

No the whole body. Lets do that, lets rest this week and start fresh and strong next week, remember we are not in a race. Besides the rest will only do you good.

freebirdmac
02-08-2010, 04:54 PM
No the whole body. Lets do that, lets rest this week and start fresh and strong next week, remember we are not in a race. Besides the rest will only do you good.

I think you talked me into it :)
I can catch up on some errands this week.

tifflex
02-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Enjoy the much deserved break! Will you be taking a break from cardio?

freebirdmac
02-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Enjoy the much deserved break! Will you be taking a break from cardio?

I haven't done cardio in 6 weeks! John also doesn't want me doing cardio during this program. However, this week, I may do a little. I have this brand new elliptical I'd like to try out. My daughter has been using it, just not me.

tifflex
02-08-2010, 06:32 PM
I haven't done cardio in 6 weeks! John also doesn't want me doing cardio during this program. However, this week, I may do a little. I have this brand new elliptical I'd like to try out. My daughter has been using it, just not me.

I liked you until I read your reply:p. I remember the new elliptical and thought you were using it.

My plans are to NEVER do as much cardio as I'm doing now. Staying lean FTW:yep:.

freebirdmac
02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I liked you until I read your reply:p. I remember the new elliptical and thought you were using it.

My plans are to NEVER do as much cardio as I'm doing now. Staying lean FTW:yep:.

Hehe. One can definitely maintain or "bulk" without cardio and not blimp out :p

You will find this out after your competition. I promise!!!

bodyhard
02-09-2010, 08:28 AM

Thats the spirit, enjoy the time off.

Bob45
02-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Your not going to need the new routine!

YouTube- Shake Weight Commercial #2

freebirdmac
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Your not going to need the new routine!

YouTube- Shake Weight Commercial #2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVogg_0Hhus)

Gee, thanks Bob!

Mac
02-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I haven't done cardio in 6 weeks! J

Aren't you the lucky one! Everyone else is trying to lose while you're bulking up.

freebirdmac
02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Aren't you the lucky one! Everyone else is trying to lose while you're bulking up.

I know! It gets lonely!

It's not like I need to lose anything :)

Bob45
02-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Gee, thanks Bob!

I saw that on TV and got a good laugh out if it.

gman
02-09-2010, 09:07 PM
i better never see a guy using one

bodyhard
02-09-2010, 10:13 PM
i better never see a guy using one

LOL that would be a fucking sight now wouldn't it?

freebirdmac
02-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Wow! Tendonitis above and to the inside of my left shoulder blade is in full glory. This is a problem that started long before I started lifting. I had problems finding a comfortable position to sleep in when I first went to bed last night. I should have gotten up and taken a Motrin. But I was too lazy/tired. Slept ok once I found a comfortable position. Took Motrin this am and will take some later. I need to find a good masseuse. I know it's getting bad when referred pain starts wrapping around the chest and my tongue starts tingling :eek: Should be gone by Monday though :)

gman
02-10-2010, 08:39 AM
If you can drive to vb I know a really good and inexpensive ART guy

freebirdmac
02-10-2010, 09:14 AM
If you can drive to vb I know a really good and inexpensive ART guy

ART guy???

Snow showers, roads will be fine...hehe. The grass is already covered and snow is on the roads. Temp is dropping. Many more of these snow bursts and it'll be hell getting home.

blu2xtreme
02-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Rained here all day yesterday and traffic was crazy ...so snow showers would close the roads down here.
Have a great and safe day:)

gman
02-10-2010, 09:34 AM
ART guy???

Snow showers, roads will be fine...hehe. The grass is already covered and snow is on the roads. Temp is dropping. Many more of these snow bursts and it'll be hell getting home.

ART is active release technique

here is the guy's web site. It's really just him, and he is damn good. I have gone with pain in my shoulder and he has cleared it up several times in just one session, two tops.

http://www.kinetichealth.net/

what's interesting is most of the time, the pain you feel is being caused by something opposing it. Like when my shoulder hurt in front, it was my teres minor muscle in my back that was causing it

gman
02-10-2010, 09:37 AM
the ART section

http://www.kinetichealth.net/page3.html

Bob45
02-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Wow! Tendonitis above and to the inside of my left shoulder blade is in full glory. This is a problem that started long before I started lifting. I had problems finding a comfortable position to sleep in when I first went to bed last night. I should have gotten up and taken a Motrin. But I was too lazy/tired. Slept ok once I found a comfortable position. Took Motrin this am and will take some later. I need to find a good masseuse. I know it's getting bad when referred pain starts wrapping around the chest and my tongue starts tingling :eek: Should be gone by Monday though :)

I'll be driving to Florida in a couple weeks. I can stop by and give you a good rub down, haha. I won't even charge.

gman
02-10-2010, 09:47 AM
I'll be driving to Florida in a couple weeks. I can stop by and give you a good rub down, haha. I won't even charge.

yeah, you will...lol

freebirdmac
02-10-2010, 09:53 AM
ART is active release technique

here is the guy's web site. It's really just him, and he is damn good. I have gone with pain in my shoulder and he has cleared it up several times in just one session, two tops.

http://www.kinetichealth.net/

what's interesting is most of the time, the pain you feel is being caused by something opposing it. Like when my shoulder hurt in front, it was my teres minor muscle in my back that was causing it

I may try this. It's been a long off and on problem and if can help, it'd be worth the drive.

freebirdmac
02-10-2010, 09:54 AM

How nice of you!

gman
02-10-2010, 10:10 AM
I may try this. It's been a long off and on problem and if can help, it'd be worth the drive.

he really is good. it hurts so damn good what he does. Hard to describe. Pain and relief at the same time. I need to go see him myself.

freebirdmac
02-10-2010, 10:15 AM
he really is good. it hurts so damn good what he does. Hard to describe. Pain and relief at the same time. I need to go see him myself.

How long do you have to wait for an appointment? Is he usually booked pretty solid?

How are your roads? Ours are covered and the temp is now below freezing. I think they are waiting to serve the lunch that was already cooking before letting us go. Big Oops! on the forecasters. John Cash was adamant that what we would get would only stick to the grass and not the roads so below freezing temps wouldn't make for travel problems.

gman
02-10-2010, 10:15 AM
How nice of you!

never seen such a selfless man, have you?

freebirdmac
02-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Ugh. Snow showers stopped and roads cleared a bit so no being sent home. Slush on the roads must be freezing over out there though. The bad news is work had a power outage last night that took out the boilers. So no heat. My oil filled heater is working it's ass off just to keep it somewhat reasonable in my office. The other bad news is the winds are kicking up and my windows leak like a sieve. I can feel a breeze. Almost time to work with my coat on.

This is why I never, ever complain about 100 degree weather. Skinny, hypo me can take the heat. Even with meno hot flashes.

gman
02-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Ugh. Snow showers stopped and roads cleared a bit so no being sent home. Slush on the roads must be freezing over out there though. The bad news is work had a power outage last night that took out the boilers. So no heat. My oil filled heater is working it's ass off just to keep it somewhat reasonable in my office. The other bad news is the winds are kicking up and my windows leak like a sieve. I can feel a breeze. Almost time to work with my coat on.

This is why I never, ever complain about 100 degree weather. Skinny, hypo me can take the heat. Even with meno hot flashes.

I may like hot weather more now in this sleeker body. This will be my first summer lean in at least 35 years.

freebirdmac
02-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I may like hot weather more now in this sleeker body. This will be my first summer lean in at least 35 years.

Scroll back Mike. I had a question about that ART guy.

gman
02-10-2010, 12:25 PM
How long do you have to wait for an appointment? Is he usually booked pretty solid?

How are your roads? Ours are covered and the temp is now below freezing. I think they are waiting to serve the lunch that was already cooking before letting us go. Big Oops! on the forecasters. John Cash was adamant that what we would get would only stick to the grass and not the roads so below freezing temps wouldn't make for travel problems.

I usually can get an appointment on a day notice, two tops. What the heck, give him a call, maybe you can go this afternoon!

I haven't been in a while, I am remembering about 45 bucks for 45 minutes. Tell him Mike Gartman told you about him. He is a great guy...he treats a lot of bench pressers from Brute Strength Gym

I am going to call him too in a minute, I am worried about my shoulder hurting like it did last night.

gman
02-10-2010, 12:32 PM
I just left him a message, told him you might be calling.

gman
02-10-2010, 12:41 PM
did you hear, 300 car pile up on 64 West on your side of the water.

http://www.wvec.com/news/slideshows/Accidents-slippery-roads-mar-Wednesday-commute-84016352.html

freebirdmac
02-10-2010, 01:14 PM
did you hear, 300 car pile up on 64 West on your side of the water.

http://www.wvec.com/news/slideshows/Accidents-slippery-roads-mar-Wednesday-commute-84016352.html

Yep. I saw some of it on the jam cams.

gman
02-10-2010, 01:17 PM
you must have got more than we did. barely a dusting here.

freebirdmac
02-10-2010, 01:21 PM
It was a blizzard for awhile. Coated everything in a very short period of time.

freebirdmac
02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Ahhh, BenGay pain patches. It isn't vioxx but it darn sure helps. I had no idea what I felt Sunday was going to blow up further. I stopped at Walmart on my way home from work. When I got back in the car it seemed my abs hurt. Then I realized it was my back pain coming through to the front.

Mike, I wouldn't have anyone mess with this tendon right now. I think that would just piss it off more. Later, when it's just typically sore would be a good time.

bodyhard
02-10-2010, 06:42 PM
You better be relaxing.....

freebirdmac
02-10-2010, 06:47 PM
You better be relaxing.....

Can't do anything else John. I've gotta get this tendon calmed down. Just work, errands, and cooking.

bodyhard
02-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Can't do anything else John. I've gotta get this tendon calmed down. Just work, errands, and cooking.

Good and bad, but at least you are resting.

freebirdmac
02-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Good and bad, but at least you are resting.

It'll calm down. Usually it's just an annoying pain that I only feel during certain movements. Once in a great while it gets carried away. It's just one of those things to deal with and sometimes work around.

Bob45
02-11-2010, 08:42 AM
My left elbow gets bad like that. When I have a lot of work and train it really bothers me. All you have to do is touch the skin in that area and it hurts. I hope yours gets better soon with the rest.

gman
02-11-2010, 09:40 AM
I am going to see the ART guy at 130...I will let him know you are resting up and letting it settle first. I can see what he says about helping when it's really inflamed.

freebirdmac
02-11-2010, 09:56 AM
I am going to see the ART guy at 130...I will let him know you are resting up and letting it settle first. I can see what he says about helping when it's really inflamed.

Thanks Mike! The last thing I need is something to send it into yet more spasms.

gman
02-11-2010, 10:01 AM
I will tell you, it hurts like hell at first but when it kicks in, it feels like the pain is rushing out of your body. If yours is like mine, he won't even be touching you where you think it hurts...it will be an opposing muscle causing it all.

bodyhard
02-11-2010, 10:12 AM
How you feeling today?

freebirdmac
02-11-2010, 10:42 AM
How you feeling today?

I think it's a bit better. I'll know more as the day goes on. It usually tends to get worse after a day of moving around.

It's funny, but in the past when the tendon settles down, it just does it. Almost a day/night kind of change.

Oh, thanks! Time for Motrin :) You'd think I'd have a hard time forgetting to take it.

gman
02-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Jim says coming when in pain is actually good. Most of the time it's a symptom and not the actual spot of the problem.

I had pain in my shoulder way up almost at the cap, and he worked on my pec, my scapula and my lat. never touched my shoulder! Feels awesome now!

the best thing about him vs a chiro is he never says you need to come again or get a series of visits. Told me to call him next week if I needed to come back, but he didn't think I would need to.

freebirdmac
02-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Jim says coming when in pain is actually good. Most of the time it's a symptom and not the actual spot of the problem.

I had pain in my shoulder way up almost at the cap, and he worked on my pec, my scapula and my lat. never touched my shoulder! Feels awesome now!

the best thing about him vs a chiro is he never says you need to come again or get a series of visits. Told me to call him next week if I needed to come back, but he didn't think I would need to.

Thanks Mike! Pain is one thing, and happens often. This is another ballgame. Once it settles back down then would be the time. Maybe to prevent it from going ballistic like this again.

gman
02-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks Mike! Pain is one thing, and happens often. This is another ballgame. Once it settles back down then would be the time. Maybe to prevent it from going ballistic like this again.

It's really worth a shot at only $45! At least that's the price I got...

freebirdmac
02-11-2010, 03:47 PM
It's really worth a shot at only $45! At least that's the price I got...

I just wish he were closer. At best it's a 35 minute drive one-way.

HeavyDutyGuy
02-11-2010, 10:47 PM
I went back two pages.. Whuch tendon is it?

freebirdmac
02-12-2010, 05:19 AM
I went back two pages.. Whuch tendon is it?

It's right above the left shoulder blade.

blu2xtreme
02-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Hope your feeling better this morning
Have a happy Friday:)

freebirdmac
02-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Shoulder blade area is slowly getting better. I expect that all of a sudden I'll realize the pain is gone. I'd like to get on the elliptical this weekend and remind my legs that they can't get too used to rest.

Mac
02-12-2010, 05:54 PM
I thought you weren't supposed to be doing cardio!

freebirdmac
02-12-2010, 07:16 PM
I thought you weren't supposed to be doing cardio!

New program doesn't start until Monday :D

freebirdmac
02-14-2010, 04:36 PM
So I didn't do any cardio, yet. There's still time left in the day.

I cannot wait to get into the gym tomorrow! I'm going crazy! Yeah I still have some twinges but I don't care. I'm going freaking nuts here!

tifflex
02-14-2010, 06:47 PM
So I didn't do any cardio, yet. There's still time left in the day.

I cannot wait to get into the gym tomorrow! I'm going crazy! Yeah I still have some twinges but I don't care. I'm going freaking nuts here!

How are you feeling?

freebirdmac
02-14-2010, 06:58 PM
How are you feeling?

Raring to go!!! Ok, I still have some pain, but it's minor. Hopefully it'll stay that way. Sometimes at this point working out helps. Interestingly chest work aggravates it the most. I have quads/shoulders tomorrow. Back/traps on Tues. I cannot stay out of the gym any longer. I will lose my mind!

tifflex
02-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Raring to go!!! Ok, I still have some pain, but it's minor. Hopefully it'll stay that way. Sometimes at this point working out helps. Interestingly chest work aggravates it the most. I have quads/shoulders tomorrow. Back/traps on Tues. I cannot stay out of the gym any longer. I will lose my mind!
Great! I get antsy being out of the gym more than a few days.

I'm sure you will enjoy training tomorrow:yep:.

freebirdmac
02-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Great! I get antsy being out of the gym more than a few days.

I'm sure you will enjoy training tomorrow:yep:.

No doubt! My body is itching to lift some weight!

buckimscl
02-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Hey Free just checking in.

freebirdmac
02-15-2010, 06:29 PM
New Workout Finally Starts!

Quads and shoulders:

Quads:

Box squats
65x18x2
105x6-8x4

Leg press, feet together
90x15x1
270x8
360x8x3
(finding my weight here, new foot position. Go up in weight)

Hack squat machine to parallel
Sled only x15
90x8x3
(was supposed to do lunges first. Oops)

Stationary bb lunges
bar x 15 x1
65x8x3
(I've rarely done lunges. Was like a wobbly newborn filly :emb: )

Shoulders:

Clean and press
bar x 6-8 x 6
(never done these before!! Need to use a lighter bar for warmups. Not too far from going up in weight. Need another round to get form down)

Giant set; Front, side, and lateral raises
5# x10x2
(Holy crap! My shoulders were tight! I started off with 10# and had to drop back to 5#. Weak as shit after clean and presses)

Since I have a minimum of 3 minute rests between sets and 5 minute rests between exercises this workout took a bit over 2 hours!! It should go faster as I adjust, but it'll still be a long workout. The great news is nothing I did tonight bothered my tendonitis. One of the PTs helped me out with learning the clean and press and gave me some pointers for dealing with that sticking point at parallel on squats and hacks.

I'm glad I have this Polar hrm. I may have to up my cals. This week will see the highest expenditure since it's a new program. What'll really count is the numbers next week.

bodyhard
02-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Pam
Sorry I wasn't around today my pops was sick and I had to attend to him.

The works out wont take that long once you get into your comfort zone. Like everything else this is a learning curve with your set wieghts.

Question how did it feel to you to jump to the heavy weight without pyramiding?