PDA

View Full Version : Freebird's Lean Bulk

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

freebirdmac
02-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Pam
Sorry I wasn't around today my pops was sick and I had to attend to him.

The works out wont take that long once you get into your comfort zone. Like everything else this is a learning curve with your set wieghts.

Question how did it feel to you to jump to the heavy weight without pyramiding?

No problem John. I didn't even try to contact you :) Hope your dad feels better soon. Was it a cold or some transient bug?

Jumping to the heavy weights instead of pyramiding definitely felt different. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I think I can adjust. What I did have to do was mark the time so I didn't shorten the rests.

Gotta video of the deads for tomorrow?

blu2xtreme
02-15-2010, 09:33 PM
I always pyramid ...no reason but old habit
and I suck at resting in between sets

I need to change stuff up when I get settled in

freebirdmac
02-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Yowza! I had a rotten time sleeping last night. I think my cns was over stimulated. I kept tossing and turning. And my ass is sore! Lol! On quad and shoulder day no less. Gotta love those lunges! The first week of a new routine is always the worse for this stuff.

bodyhard
02-16-2010, 09:18 AM
No problem John. I didn't even try to contact you :) Hope your dad feels better soon. Was it a cold or some transient bug?

Jumping to the heavy weights instead of pyramiding definitely felt different. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I think I can adjust. What I did have to do was mark the time so I didn't shorten the rests.

Gotta video of the deads for tomorrow?

No I meant online, if I am am going to start helping you then the first day was the day I should have PM you some words of encouragement, or asking you if you were ready, how did you feel etc etc, ya feel me?

He had some pain in his chest we took him to the hospital to be sure but all his vital signs were good except some slight stuff they fond in his heart but it is expected at his age, but nothing serious to admit him.

I will try and find you a good video, but as stated I need to see how you performed them so I can make an accurate assessment on what to correct.

bodyhard
02-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Here is a good one on foot placement, remember what you and I spoke about?

Syt7A23YnpA

The lift.

MX8jgCFXYTU

bodyhard
02-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Here is a good one as well:

cs-wOHN5tdw

bodyhard
02-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Can I call you today so we can discuss further?

freebirdmac
02-16-2010, 09:43 AM
No I meant online, if I am am going to start helping you then the first day was the day I should have PM you some words of encouragement, or asking you if you were ready, how did you feel etc etc, ya feel me?

He had some pain in his chest we took him to the hospital to be sure but all his vital signs were good except some slight stuff they fond in his heart but it is expected at his age, but nothing serious to admit him.

I will try and find you a good video, but as stated I need to see how you performed them so I can make an accurate assessment on what to correct.

No worries John! I don't really need much hand holding or cheerleading. It'll get it done even if you ignore me :D

Videos of me will be coming! I promise. You'll have plenty to critique without a doubt. Right now I'm just finding a starting point with these new exercises. Some of the corrections I can make on my own as I get familiar with them.

Glad your dad is ok!!

Here is a good one on foot placement, remember what you and I spoke about?

The lift.

Ahh, I remember these. I use that foot placement for rdls. Yes I remember.

freebirdmac
02-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Can I call you today so we can discuss further?

Sure. I'm at work until 2, then I head to the gym.

bodyhard
02-16-2010, 10:13 AM
No worries John! I don't really need much hand holding or cheerleading. It'll get it done even if you ignore me :D

Videos of me will be coming! I promise. You'll have plenty to critique without a doubt. Right now I'm just finding a starting point with these new exercises. Some of the corrections I can make on my own as I get familiar with them.

Glad your dad is ok!!

Ahh, I remember these. I use that foot placement for rdls. Yes I remember.

Now what kind of fucking training would I be if I ignore you ;) Nah I will be with you for the ride, remember your success/failure is mine as well.

gman
02-16-2010, 10:25 AM
This is going to be really good Pam. Can't wait to see the progress you make.

freebirdmac
02-16-2010, 01:54 PM
This is going to be really good Pam. Can't wait to see the progress you make.

Better be. Or a real life Guido may show up on my doorstep :p

freebirdmac
02-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Back and traps:

Back:

Pullups
bwx8x4

Deads
115x10x3
115x8,7,6
(First time with this type of deadlift. Once I get the hang of these they'll be heavier in the 4-6 rep range. I had someone at the gym check my form. It was tough doing them as my quads and glutes (especially glutes) thought I was insane for asking them to do anything. Yes my shins are red/scraped up)

Bent over rows
105x8x4

V bar pulldowns
85x8x4

Traps:

Db shrugs
45x8x3
(go up in weight)

Farmer's walk
50x 16 steps x5
(go up in weight. new to these too)

bodyhard
02-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Hmm anxious to see how todays workout went

LOL you posted the workout at the same time!!

freebirdmac
02-16-2010, 05:10 PM
You were reading my mind :)

bodyhard
02-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Pam, I don't see the warm ups, are you just not jotting them down?

freebirdmac
02-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Pam, I don't see the warm ups, are you just not jotting them down?

Yeah, I didn't include them. But I did do them!

bodyhard
02-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I didn't include them. But I did do them!

They are extremely, extremely important when jumping to heavy weight without pyramiding so you better be doing them ;)

freebirdmac
02-16-2010, 06:04 PM
They are extremely, extremely important when jumping to heavy weight without pyramiding so you better be doing them ;)

I am!
Next time I'm including them

HeavyDutyGuy
02-16-2010, 06:18 PM
I didn't comprehend anything past the "my ass is sore"...

freebirdmac
02-16-2010, 06:39 PM

Hehe. I don't really feel anything except my sore ass! It overwhelms everything else. I need rails to get up off the couch after adding deads to the mix. And glute day isn't until Friday!

HeavyDutyGuy
02-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Hehe. I don't really feel anything except my sore ass! It overwhelms everything else. I need rails to get up off the couch after adding deads to the mix. And glute day isn't until Friday!

Umm yeah, that really helped get my focus on your ass, lol. I don't think you tried too hard anyway.. But I hear you on deads. I don't know if you caught my post on my thread about that, I did RACK deads, low knee level and my lower body was traahed.. Full deads involve even more glute, so I can see that totally happening....

bodyhard
02-16-2010, 07:24 PM
I am!
Next time I'm including them

:cool:

We are going to put some mass on that ass:yep:

freebirdmac
02-16-2010, 07:27 PM
We are going to put some mass on that ass:yep:

Yes!!!! :hmn:

HeavyDutyGuy
02-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Like Leroy in "Blood and Guts" Mass that ass!.... cmon get nasty... lol...

freebirdmac
02-17-2010, 06:13 AM
Did I mention my glutes are screaming! I thought walking up and down 3 flights of stairs was fun yesterday. Today will be even more interesting. I'm sure I'm sore elsewhere but it's completely overshadowed by my backside. Guess that'll teach me to ignore lunges. We need a walking funny emoticon.

Baldiewonkanobi
02-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Cheap trick Birdie. Using your butt to up your thread count.

Baldie

freebirdmac
02-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Alright. I'll quit whining about sore glutes :)

Now about these bruises on my shins... good thing it's winter time.

Mac
02-17-2010, 09:02 AM
There is nothing like a good glute massage!

That will fix you up for a little while.

bodyhard
02-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Fuck I am up early damn pup! :(

How is it going this morning thus far?

blu2xtreme
02-17-2010, 09:09 AM

ahhh..the joys of fatherhood ...got to love pups

freebirdmac
02-17-2010, 09:09 AM

Not bad. Usual soreness from a new routine (other than the glute whining). I did notice my forearms were sore. I guess the farmer's walk did that. Slept much better last night. I'm ready to go hit chest! After today's rest day.

Sorry the puppy had you up again. It won't last too long.

Mac
02-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Hi John... how you doing bro? Good to see birdie has a great trainer now. I expect awesomeness results.

freebirdmac
02-17-2010, 09:53 AM
I've been going over my diet. This routine is going to require more food! I was eating close to 1900, going to take it up to around 2000. Macros close to 40/30/30. Maintenance for me is around 1750. Although I track my diet on fitday it's not exact. I don't weigh my servings of oats, sweet potato, or sunflower butter, count breath mints or supps. So fitday under reports what I consume. Thus the "close to" and "around" words. At any rate, more food!

Today's menu:

Oatmeal and coffee
Chicken, blueberries, sun flower butter
Chicken, zucchini, sweet potato
Chicken, zucchini, sweet potato
Chicken, asparagus, sweet potato
Chicken, sunflower butter
Banana
and a few pieces of dark chocolate. Veggies are cooked with evoo.

I will occasionally have fresh tuna and buffalo burger. Steak a little more infrequently. Yellow squash has been hard to find lately but I eat of that too.
Supps are Mega Red (krill oil), CEE, beta-alanine, BCAAs, glutamine, vit D, and the occasional coq10. I roast my own coffee and have a great grinder-espresso setup. So on weekends I'll have 1-2 toffeenut soy lattes. During the week it's french press.

bodyhard
02-17-2010, 10:16 AM
ahhh..the joys of fatherhood ...got to love pups

LOL Yup Fatherhood all over again!

Not bad. Usual soreness from a new routine (other than the glute whining). I did notice my forearms were sore. I guess the farmer's walk did that. Slept much better last night. I'm ready to go hit chest! After today's rest day.

Sorry the puppy had you up again. It won't last too long.

Yeah the farmers walk will work your grip as well, you are going to go heavier on these next time around correct?

Nah don't be sorry, I love the pup, feels good to wake up early and do something constructive.

Hi John... how you doing bro? Good to see birdie has a great trainer now. I expect awesomeness results.

I am chilling just mad busy with the pup, they take a lot of time as when they get to adults they are very big, powerful dogs you don't want running around untrained.

Ohh you will see awesome results, Pam is the real deal, a trooper I hear that shit in her voice!

freebirdmac
02-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Yep. I'll go heavier on a few things I've done so far.

bodyhard
02-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Yep. I'll go heavier on a few things I've done so far.

Kool, it's all a learning curve and feel right now.

HeavyDutyGuy
02-17-2010, 08:44 PM
I'd even go a bit higher- 300 above maintainance- minimum. You can always back off a bit. But one thing I've found, when you intensify your workouts, you better intensify your nutrition as well. Otherwise you just won't get the results you could, or even worse, get run down or even sick. Lot of chicken there, may have to inspect those glutes for feathers down the line...

freebirdmac
02-17-2010, 09:02 PM
I'd even go a bit higher- 300 above maintainance- minimum. You can always back off a bit. But one thing I've found, when you intensify your workouts, you better intensify your nutrition as well. Otherwise you just won't get the results you could, or even worse, get run down or even sick. Lot of chicken there, may have to inspect those glutes for feathers down the line...

2000 is about 250 above. Another 50 is doable. May even be there considering my tsp and tbs of sunflower butter are using regular spoons :)

Yeah, it's a wonder I don't cluck and lay eggs. But milk protein is out, pea protein had hidden sulfites/corn, and soy bloats me up. I try not to dwell on the boring, repetitive nature of my diet.

HeavyDutyGuy
02-17-2010, 09:53 PM
2000 is about 250 above. Another 50 is doable. May even be there considering my tsp and tbs of sunflower butter are using regular spoons :)

Yeah, it's a wonder I don't cluck and lay eggs. But milk protein is out, pea protein had hidden sulfites/corn, and soy bloats me up. I try not to dwell on the boring, repetitive nature of my diet.

Turkey, fish, even lean cuts of beef?

gman
02-17-2010, 09:55 PM
all the chicken you eat, you should raise your own!

blu2xtreme
02-18-2010, 01:31 AM
Chicken question ...since you eat a large amount of chicken ...what is your prefered cooking method?
I am not fond of dried out chicken
I have been eating why to much tuna just because it's easy and moist.

freebirdmac
02-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Turkey, fish, even lean cuts of beef?

A couple of times a year I'll buy a turkey from a farmer's market that I know has not had anything added to it. It's just more of a hassle to get to this market and then I have to eat turkey for awhile.

I'll eat fresh of the boat tuna a couple of times a week. Frozen wild salmon a couple of times a month. Both are kind of pricey.

I used to eat steak once a week until I saw what it did to my LDL numbers. Not a huge impact, but a definite impact. I'll still have one once a month or so. I may go back to eating buffalo burgers more often. They're leaner and it's a pretty calorie dense food.

Chicken question ...since you eat a large amount of chicken ...what is your prefered cooking method?
I am not fond of dried out chicken
I have been eating why to much tuna just because it's easy and moist.

My preferred method is grilling. Do you have a George Foreman grill? The key is to not over cook chicken, which many do. I'll undercook a slight bit as most of what I cook will be reheated in the microwave. Which means further cooking. Funny, I think chicken is moister than tuna :)

Mac
02-18-2010, 08:57 AM
My preferred method is grilling. Do you have a George Foreman grill? The key is to not over cook chicken

I learned how to make great chicken and the key is just as freebird stated, do not overcook it.

Cut the chicken into small pieces or thin strips as it cooks faster. Cooking too long is what makes it dry and tougher. Trim as much fat as you can if there is any on the breast.

blu2xtreme
02-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Grilling may be out, not sure if we can grill on our balconies or not.
I will have to pick up a George Foreman ...that would work well since it's just the 2 of us.

freebirdmac
02-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Hmmm. Another thread got me thinking, which is always dangerous :) I have this dead zone when doing squats and hack squats right around parallel. After doing deep machine hacks for months I made little progress. Box squats are looking like they'll also provide slow progress. Meanwhile my quads are laughing at the puny weights for both. Hamstrings seem to be ok as I can do one-legged kneeling curls with 70# and RDLs with as much as 155#. While I struggle with box squats at 105# and parallel hacks at 90#. Sooooo, the thinking part. Given how sore my glutes were from lunges I'm wondering if that is the weak link. Yeah I know a new exercise can cause soreness beyond normal and glutes are in play with RDLs. But I wonder. It's not the overall weight that bothers me so much as the extremely slow progress. I should not be having so much trouble squatting my body weight. It just doesn't make sense given what I can do on the other exercises.

gman
02-18-2010, 01:41 PM
I learned how to make great chicken and the key is just as freebird stated, do not overcook it.

Cut the chicken into small pieces or thin strips as it cooks faster. Cooking too long is what makes it dry and tougher. Trim as much fat as you can if there is any on the breast.

I am one of the few who loves my chicken dry and stringy off the grill. Almost like chicken beef jerky.

freebirdmac
02-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Chest and Abs

Chest:

Incline bb
bar x 15 x2
85 x 6,8,7
(felt my shoulder blade area a bit. Damn these weights felt heavy. I assume it's from missing last week and not pyramiding)

Flat bb
bar x 15
95 x 6,6, 5 and an oh shit!
(trainer across from me had to get the bar off my chest :emb: Of course I forgot there were no collars and I could have dumped the weight. And this was 10 pounds less that what I should be working with!)

Incline bb
Uh oh. Setting the bench up I felt my shoulder blade area. It was not pleased. Even had some sharper pains wrapping under my arm. Stopped chest here. No inclines or pullovers.

Abs:

Hanging leg raises
10x1
(do you know how stupid it is to hang from a bar when your shoulder blade is pissed off)

Lying leg raises
10x1
(Ahhh, now I remember why I hate these. They kill my lower back!)

Alright, at this point I'm sitting on the floor of the ab area, no one around, and I'm ready to either cry or beat the shit out of something. So I pulled out my cell and called John :D He talked me down. Thanks John!!

I've put in a call to Mike's ART guy, we'll switch to all dumbbells next Thursday, and came up with some alternate ab exercises.

Cable crunches
80x20x3

Incline leg raises
20x3
(bending knees as needed to unload lower back)

Forearm supported knee raises
15x3
(shoulder was annoyed, but ok with this)

As soon as Mike's ART guy calls I'll set up an appointment. This problem existed long before I took up weight lifting and is bothered far more by chest work than shoulder work. I'm sick of it. Hams and calves tomorrow. Motrin and bengay pain patches tonight and tomorrow.

gman
02-18-2010, 05:08 PM
I think it's going to be a similar injury to mine. ...I hope he calls, if you don't hear from him soon, let me know.

bodyhard
02-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Pam, you are a feisty one!!! Lets hope this shoulder issue is something minor. Read your PM

freebirdmac
02-18-2010, 05:13 PM
I think it's going to be a similar injury to mine. ...I hope he calls, if you don't hear from him soon, let me know.

I figure he's gone for the day and won't call until tomorrow.

Jessica just put the pain patch on me. She loves doing this as it's very cold going on. I usually grimace and groan. She likes torturing me. She pokes me with her finger to know where to put it. Poke. "Does it hurt here?" Me: "Aarg! Yes!" She laughs. Such a good kid :p

Mac
02-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Motrin and bengay pain patches tonight and tomorrow.

You have my sympathies. I hope you feel better soon.

freebirdmac
02-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Pam, you are a feisty one!!! Lets hope this shoulder issue is something minor. Read your PM

Hehe. You so don't know how bad I can get :D

You have my sympathies. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks. This is one of those times when misery does not want company.

freebirdmac
02-18-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm sitting here on the couch with a pain patch on and motrin in my system. All I can think about it getting back to the gym tomorrow and erasing tonight's horrible workout. I've already visualized it a few times. I practiced a couple ghr's before I left the gym tonight so I'd know how I would set it up. That is going to be one ham killing exercise.

This truly is a sickness :p

blu2xtreme
02-18-2010, 07:36 PM
I know it sucks to have a bad workout ...makes me very pissy

Hope the recovery is a quick one :)

Forgot to mention ..I did buy a George Foreman today:D

tifflex
02-18-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm sitting here on the couch with a pain patch on and motrin in my system. All I can think about it getting back to the gym tomorrow and erasing tonight's horrible workout. I've already visualized it a few times. I practiced a couple ghr's before I left the gym tonight so I'd know how I would set it up. That is going to be one ham killing exercise.

This truly is a sickness :p
You are TOUGH:yep:. I hope you're better soon.

freebirdmac
02-18-2010, 07:44 PM
I know it sucks to have a bad workout ...makes me very pissy

Hope the recovery is a quick one :)

Forgot to mention ..I did buy a George Foreman today:D

Thanks Paula! Enjoy the grill! You should get a lot of use out of it.

You are TOUGH:yep:. I hope you're better soon.

I didn't feel tough today. I felt like a whiny mess. I need redemption! :)

Mac
02-18-2010, 08:55 PM
I didn't feel tough today. I felt like a whiny mess. I need redemption! :)

Must be something going around. I had to be the motivational coach for my girl. She was also a whiny little princess today. :dunno:

blu2xtreme
02-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Must be something going around. I had to be the motivational coach for my girl. She was also a whiny little princess today. :dunno:

Definitely going around ...I found out today my furniture will not be here until March 12th so I won't have a bed for weeks yet...I was very whiny about. I know my training is suffering from not resting enough and the stress.

freebirdmac
02-18-2010, 09:19 PM

At least my whining to John went something like "This fucking sucks!" But I felt like a whiner.

bodyhard
02-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Tear shit up today Pam, no holds bar!

How is the shoulder doing?

Bob45
02-19-2010, 10:27 AM
I hope that shoulder gets better Pam. I like how much you are into this! My left shoulder kept me up all night last night. I feel your pain.

freebirdmac
02-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Shoulder is ok today. I didn't send it back to how it was last week. Restocked my supply of pain patches :)

Mike's ART guy called. I'll see him Monday at 11. Crossing fingers that this works/help.

I am ready for hams and calves!!!

Mac
02-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Shoulder is ok today.

I am ready for hams and calves!!!

Don't forget the glutes!!!

Glad to hear your shoulder is feeling better.

freebirdmac
02-19-2010, 11:14 AM
My daughter is 18 today!!! I don't know how that happened :eek: Just finished baking, from scratch, a German chocolate cake. This is one cake whose nutritional profile you do not want to see. But it's damn good. I'll risk one small bite tonight :)

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/J240x174-10879.jpg

freebirdmac
02-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Don't forget the glutes!!!

Glad to hear your shoulder is feeling better.

I don't think the glutes will let me forget. They're still just a bit sore. No doubt they'll feel differently in several hours :)

gman
02-19-2010, 11:17 AM
18! Yikes....she's all growed up!

I would eat a slice of that cake even now....I haven't had German Chocolate Cake in years. It brings back memories, my mom used to make them when I was a kid.

ART hurts and feels good at the same time, so be ready!

freebirdmac
02-19-2010, 11:25 AM
18! Yikes....she's all growed up!

I would eat a slice of that cake even now....I haven't had German Chocolate Cake in years. It brings back memories, my mom used to make them when I was a kid.

ART hurts and feels good at the same time, so be ready!

I've only had one massage, so I get hurts but feels good. This could be worse. I'm ready.

Oh this is one cake you just want to savor. It's unbelievable.

Mac
02-19-2010, 11:50 AM
My daughter is 18 today!!! I don't know how that happened :eek: Just finished baking, from scratch, a German chocolate cake. This is one cake whose nutritional profile you do not want to see. But it's damn good. I'll risk one small bite tonight :)

Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Have the cake just after you're done lifting, wait about 15-20 minutes and then have your protein drink.

Spike the insulin to drive the aminos into your cells.

bodyhard
02-19-2010, 11:55 AM

Is that you and your daughter in the pic? If so I see some biceps there!! :D :D

freebirdmac
02-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Have the cake just after you're done lifting, wait about 15-20 minutes and then have your protein drink.

Spike the insulin to drive the aminos into your cells.

I can only have a small taste. There's stuff in there I'll react to :(

Is that you and your daughter in the pic? If so I see some biceps there!! :D :D

Yep. She was 7 months old. I was a mere 33. Still had some tennis muscle left.

freebirdmac
02-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Hams and calves:

Hams:

RDLs
95x15x2
145x8
155x6x2
(Ahh, nothing like a good set of deads to make the world right :D
I could have done another set)

Lying curls
35x20
60x8
70x5
65x6
(finding my weight)

GHR
6x3
(Holy cow! I dragged a bench to the lat pulldowns and raised the back. It'll take awhile for me to build up reps and improve a very poor rom)

Calves:

Standing
115x20
122.5x20
135x20

Seated
50x20
60x20
70x20

Leg Press
90x20
140x20
160x20

Adductors
75x12x3

Whew! What a relief to end the week with a good workout!

Mac
02-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Great workout Freebird !

freebirdmac
02-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Great workout Freebird !

It felt good!

bodyhard
02-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Hams and calves:

Hams:

RDLs
95x15x2
145x8
155x6x2

Lying curls
35x20
60x8
70x5
65x6
(finding my weight)

GHR
6x3
(Holy cow! I dragged a bench to the lat pulldowns and raised the back. It'll take awhile for me to build up reps and improve a very poor rom)

Calves:

Standing
115x20
122.5x20
135x20

Seated
50x20
60x20
70x20

Leg Press
90x20
140x20
160x20

Adductors
75x12x3

Thats my girl!! Nice and smooth. Your hams will grow on the GHR, trust me!

tifflex
02-20-2010, 12:43 PM
x2! This is a TOUGH exercise with many benefits!

Excellent work Pam:).

freebirdmac
02-20-2010, 06:23 PM

I'm counting on some growth :)

x2! This is a TOUGH exercise with many benefits!

Excellent work Pam:).

Phew! I see what you've been doing Tiffany!

freebirdmac
02-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Some food pron. Made from scratch German chocolate cake for my daughter's birthday

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/cake.jpg

She wanted to see CATS for her birthday. As close to the stage as we could get. She's a fan and went looking like this

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/Jessica_cat.jpg

Mac
02-20-2010, 06:33 PM
It's a good thing I am dieting. I would eat the entire cake.

bodyhard
02-21-2010, 03:46 PM
How are you feeling? Are you ready for tomorrows workout, physically I mean?

freebirdmac
02-21-2010, 04:25 PM
How are you feeling? Are you ready for tomorrows workout, physically I mean?

Calves and abs are sore but getting better. Shoulder area is tender and I'm seeing Mike's ART guy tomorrow at 11. Am I ready? Hell yes! Been visualizing the workout all day :D

HeavyDutyGuy
02-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Hams and calves:

Hams:

RDLs
95x15x2
145x8
155x6x2

Lying curls
35x20
60x8
70x5
65x6
(finding my weight)

GHR
6x3

Calves:

Standing
115x20
122.5x20
135x20

Seated
50x20
60x20
70x20

Leg Press
90x20
140x20
160x20

Adductors
75x12x3

So how are you walking today? Need a leg massage? Seems like a lot of us hammered legs to end our weeks, sick sick people...

freebirdmac
02-21-2010, 05:38 PM
So how are you walking today? Need a leg massage? Seems like a lot of us hammered legs to end our weeks, sick sick people...

Only calves complained about Friday's workout. Now tomorrow will be a different story. Hopefully not as much as last week.

HeavyDutyGuy
02-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Why whats on for tommorrow? knowing John its something sadistic, huh??? (looks out for Jonh, making sure hes still 3000 miles away..)))

freebirdmac
02-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Why whats on for tommorrow? knowing John its something sadistic, huh??? (looks out for Jonh, making sure hes still 3000 miles away..)))

Hehe. Same as last Monday. Trash quads and shoulders.

HeavyDutyGuy
02-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Oh GREAT! so you cant move your legs or arms??? Clever one, that John...

freebirdmac
02-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Oh GREAT! so you cant move your legs or arms??? Clever one, that John...

He is sadistic though. Clean and press after squats/press/lunges/hacks is sick!!

HeavyDutyGuy
02-21-2010, 05:48 PM
He is sadistic though. Clean and press after squats/press/lunges/hacks is sick!!
Yeah it is./ I think its actually illegal in 48 states...

bodyhard
02-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Calves and abs are sore but getting better. Shoulder area is tender and I'm seeing Mike's ART guy tomorrow at 11. Am I ready? Hell yes! Been visualizing the workout all day :D

That last sentence is a sign of greatness, you do know that don't you?

gman
02-21-2010, 09:44 PM
let me know how you feel after you see Jim tomorrow. He is a great guy.

bodyhard
02-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Yup I am awake before 9:00 AM :eek:

Just checking in to see how we are doing both mentally as well as physically.

freebirdmac
02-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Mentally ready. Lower body ready. Shoulder hurts more this am. Probably from the way I slept. I'll see the ART guy at 11. Motrin at the ready. I've already eaten oatmeal w/flaxseed, sunflower butter, chicken, and a banana.

blu2xtreme
02-22-2010, 09:07 AM
My daughter just saw the pic of the cake and of your daughter - she says you are a cool mom...but then she thinks I am cool too so I'm not sure if that's a compliment:p

bodyhard
02-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Mentally ready. Lower body ready. Shoulder hurts more this am. Probably from the way I slept. I'll see the ART guy at 11. Motrin at the ready. I've already eaten oatmeal w/flaxseed, sunflower butter, chicken, and a banana.

Hope he has good news. I will call you today before you head to the gym.

freebirdmac
02-22-2010, 09:16 AM
My daughter just saw the pic of the cake and of your daughter - she says you are a cool mom...but then she thinks I am cool too so I'm not sure if that's a compliment:p

We are cool moms!!!! And we didn't need to resort to immature/destructive behavior to gain the cool status :)

Baldiewonkanobi
02-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Some food pron. Made from scratch German chocolate cake for my daughter's birthday

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/cake.jpg

She wanted to see CATS for her birthday. As close to the stage as we could get. She's a fan and went looking like this

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/Jessica_cat.jpg

OMG...I just slipped off my chair. That cake must be illegal.

BTW....Daughter is a doll!!

You are a good Mom. Need a 70 year old son with the libido and attitude of a 16 year old??

Baldie

freebirdmac
02-22-2010, 12:37 PM
OMG...I just slipped off my chair. That cake must be illegal.

BTW....Daughter is a doll!!

You are a good Mom. Need a 70 year old son with the libido and attitude of a 16 year old??

Baldie

Lol! We'd have shared the cake! It should be illegal. It's practically orgasmic :D

freebirdmac
02-22-2010, 12:49 PM
One visit Mike??? Try 4-6!! Apparently I am quite the mess. The point of pain comes from where the rhomboid and levator scapulae attach. As you suspected, tightness in the upper pecs and under the arm (didn't catch that muscle name) pulling the scapula up, stressing the traps, rhomboids and levator. Remind anyone of that T-Nation article on rotator cuffs?? Tons of scar tissue on the left side. Snap, crackles, and pops galore. Did I mention pain?Nothing he did on the left side was of the feels so good description. It was more like how much pain can I take before I say Uncle! He only found one spot on the right hand side under the arm that had some scar tissue. Everything else on the right was of the feels so good description. Even tickled at times.

So I am to ice the shoulder and blade area after lifting and stretch. I'll see him again on Thursday.

I blame my daughter. I carried her on my left hip. A lot. Kid would climb out of a stroller if it stopped moving so I carried her. All my shoulder problems started then. Bah.

gman
02-22-2010, 01:03 PM
wow, Pam...women have a lot more pain tolerance than men. I only need to go once usually and I feel pretty bad pain...so needing to go 4-5 times would probably have me in tears.

Hope it gets better.

bodyhard
02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Fuck Pam I got caught up with the new wash and dryer I bought my wife, they were delivering a new one today (the first one was defective).

Hope the workout goes well!~!

freebirdmac
02-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Quads and shoulders:

Quads:

Box squats
bar x20
bar x10

Sign. Inner thigh muscle, adductor I guess started tightening up. It hurt. This felt like the two groin pulls of the past. Tried stretching and going back to warmups. Nope. Tried leg press. I couldn't push 90 pounds without feeling some pain. It's not horrible, but I do feel it now when walking or just sitting. It did not bother me at all over the weekend. This caught me quite off guard. I suppose doing the adductor machine Friday played a role. It's supposed to help rehab groin pulls, not cause them. Like I needed another complaint. I just hope this is a one week bump in the road. But of all things! I hate missing quad day!!!

Since Jim worked on my shoulder today I made an executive decision and turned this into a back/trap day.

Back:

Warm up with wide lat pulldowns
25x20x2

Pullups
10# x6x3
(forgot to do 4th. mind was still out of focus)

Bent over rows
barx20
105x8x4

Good mornings (in place of deads)
barx20
105x8,7,6,6

V-bar pull down
25x20
85x8x4

Traps:

Db shrugs
50x8x3

Farmer's walk
55x16x5

I went heavier on traps but not as heavy as planned. Deadlifting the db's wasn't cool. A bench did open up which helped on farmer's walk.

I'm trying not to be too depressed. Shit happens. Let's just get it al out of the way now!! This is like a failure to start or a host of false starts. It sucks.

gman
02-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Get it taken care of now, then it's all downhill!

freebirdmac
02-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Get it taken care of now, then it's all downhill!

All I can say is grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Can't get any size with crap like this going on.

bodyhard
02-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Pam what the fuck???? :confused:

Check your PM.

blu2xtreme
02-23-2010, 01:31 AM
Sorry Pam for your set back ...I'm sure it's a short one ...your an amazing person - and as tough as they come...even for a girl:p

freebirdmac
02-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Pam what the fuck???? :confused:

Check your PM.

Poor John. I guess I could have been clearer. I swapped out deads for GMs as I knew my adductor wasn't going to let me do deads. I didn't mean to imply they were interchangeable. I just wanted to hit my lower back.

Sorry Pam for your set back ...I'm sure it's a short one ...your an amazing person - and as tough as they come...even for a girl:p

Thanks. I'm just pissed off. I just want to get going on this routine and not have one thing or another pop up.

bodyhard
02-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Damn Pam you got me going crazy over here, I really wish I could be there with you/training you.

I am definitely going to have to shoot out to VA and get a training session with you. I always go to VA in the summer so Ia m going to make a piss stop in your neighborhood.

freebirdmac
02-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Damn Pam you got me going crazy over here, I really wish I could be there with you/training you.

I am definitely going to have to shoot out to VA and get a training session with you. I always go to VA in the summer so Ia m going to make a piss stop in your neighborhood.

That would be so cool!

If I remember right your brother was up in Stafford? That's about 2 hours away I think. We need a Richmond connection.

GirlyMuscle
02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
I have a richmond connection. What are we talking about?

freebirdmac
02-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I have a richmond connection. What are we talking about?

If John comes to Va to visit his brother, Richmond would be a good halfway point. Meet up and work out.

GirlyMuscle
02-23-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm sure I could get us girls a place to stay, if John stays with his bro....or maybe all of us. Or however it works out. I have a good friend who lives half the month in Richmond and half the month in LA. I'm sure he could put us up. He's cool.

freebirdmac
02-23-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm sure I could get us girls a place to stay, if John stays with his bro....or maybe all of us. Or however it works out. I have a good friend who lives half the month in Richmond and half the month in LA. I'm sure he could put us up. He's cool.

I was just thinking a day trip to a gym. Somewhere close enough so that we don't have to do too much driving for a workout. A meet up in the area would be fun too. Mike was offering his place in the Outer Banks in the spring.

gman
02-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Spring invitation still stands!

freebirdmac
02-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Shoulders and a hint of quads

Shoulders:

Clean and press
20#x20x2
45x8
55x6x2
(these felt much better the second time around. Went up 10#. I don't know if I need to do wrist curls with this exercise in the plan. Anyone ever scraped their nose doing these? :D )

Giant set (front/side/bent over raises)
5#x10x2
(5# is embarrassing! If it weren't a giant set I could do 10# at least.)

Quads:

Leg extensions
35x15x2
135x8x4
(tried empty leg press, felt slight adductor pain. Walked away. Would rather go heavy next week and not risk further injury)

Adductors were talking to me last night but were quiet today. Only felt it when squatting down to open the garage door. Will keep trying to stretch it out.

freebirdmac
02-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Rest day. Shoulder feels pretty good. I see the ART guy tomorrow at 11. Then it's chest and abs at 3. I'll have a PT hanging out with me for chest. I'll see if he can make corrections to my form to help my shoulders as well as my lifts.

Adductor still has some mild twinges. The test is when I squat down to open my garage door in the mornings. I have promised John that I will dedicate time every day to stretching. I don't know why, but I never stretch. Well, except for getting up from my chair at work and stretching my hams, or working on my shoulders/traps while at my desk. I've been bad and I'm paying for t.

gman
02-24-2010, 06:30 PM
I am the same way on stretching. I use the excuse that I am not flexible enough to stretch!

hope the shoulder keeps getting better

HeavyDutyGuy
02-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Stretchings good, but a bit overated. Think blood flow, blood flow, blood flow. Light exercise, heating pads, hot showers.... ps hydrotherapy is very underated. If I had pick one, it would be that... back to blood flow- warming up is critical past age 30 or so, way critical over 40, etc.. Lastly keep your mental energy POSITIVE. You will heal faster, I have no doubt. Hope you're 100% before you know it!

freebirdmac
02-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Stretchings good, but a bit overated. Think blood flow, blood flow, blood flow. Light exercise, heating pads, hot showers.... ps hydrotherapy is very underated. If I had pick one, it would be that... back to blood flow- warming up is critical past age 30 or so, way critical over 40, etc.. Lastly keep your mental energy POSITIVE. You will heal faster, I have no doubt. Hope you're 100% before you know it!

Heh. I was POSITIVE Monday was going to be a good quad day. I did one set of 20 rep, bar only, box squats to get the blood flowing. All was good. Immediately into the second 20 rep, bar only set I felt the muscle tighten up, and get tighter and tighter. I agree with what you're saying. But I also have to agree with stretching. Especially this muscle. It's tight normally and I think I'll suffer far fewer problems with it if I consistently work on it's flexibility.

If this ART guy were a woman I'd get it worked on tomorrow too.

bodyhard
02-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Pam I am holding you to this. I have to disagree with Heavy D. with stretching. Although I do agree with him that stretching in bodybuilding. i.e stretch before you lift and after is overrated, stretching in general is not overrated. In martial arts, gymnastics, baseball, football etc etc stretrching is extremely important.

Stretching wont help a muscle grow, as a matter of fact if you stretch too much while you are lifting you might even weaken the muscle, but stretching daily, will keep your tendons and ligaments strong and healthy and will definitely prevent injuries such as pulls and twinges.

freebirdmac
02-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Just finished stretching lower body :)

bodyhard
02-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Just finished stretching lower body :)

:) :)

freebirdmac
02-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Saw the ART guy again today. I had felt pretty good Tues and Wed. Pain reappeared late Wed night and had moved up to just over my shoulder. He said that was a good sign and I could expect a couple of good days after seeing him. Then it'll want to tighten up. He'll be out of town through next Thursday so I won't see him again until next Friday. He's 95% sure the problem stems from tight pects.

Chest and abs:

I waited a few minutes as one of the PTs was supposed to meet with me. He didn't show for some reason.

Incline bb
bar x20 x 2
75x8x3
(stayed light as shoulder area was hurting)

Flat bb
bar x 20 x 1
85x6 x3
(light again, did not want to push it)

Decline bb
95x6x3

Pullovers
(!!!! I completely forgot! After bb I went to abs. I did not remember pullovers until driving home. What a brain dead moron!!!)

Abs:

Forearm supported leg raises
20x3

Leg raises
15x3

Cable crunches
80x20x3

Shoulder really hurts at the moment. At least it's high up. Oh and John, I stretched legs before doing chest :D

Baldiewonkanobi
02-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Tight pecs?? I have know men with tight nutts.

Who knew??

Baldie

bodyhard
02-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Saw the ART guy again today. I had felt pretty good Tues and Wed. Pain reappeared late Wed night and had moved up to just over my shoulder. He said that was a good sign and I could expect a couple of good days after seeing him. Then it'll want to tighten up. He'll be out of town through next Thursday so I won't see him again until next Friday. He's 95% sure the problem stems from tight pects.

Chest and abs:

I waited a few minutes as one of the PTs was supposed to meet with me. He didn't show for some reason.

Incline bb
bar x20 x 2
75x8x3
(stayed light as shoulder area was hurting)

Flat bb
bar x 20 x 1
85x6 x3
(light again, did not want to push it)

Decline bb
95x6x3

Pullovers
(!!!! I completely forgot! After bb I went to abs. I did not remember pullovers until driving home. What a brain dead moron!!!)

Abs:

Forearm supported leg raises
20x3

Leg raises
15x3

Cable crunches
80x20x3

Shoulder really hurts at the moment. At least it's high up. Oh and John, I stretched legs before doing chest :D

Slow and steady wins the race...

Keep that stretching going :yep:

freebirdmac
02-26-2010, 08:25 AM
I put a pain patch on before bed. Shoulder feels better this am than it did yesterday am. We'll see if I get that rebound pain late this weekend. I hope when the pain is gone strength doesn't take too long to come back. Chest numbers are way off. Not just because of the pain, but also because there's little strength. It affects shoulder day as well but far less so.

Adductor seems better too. I'll keep the daily stretching going (as promised to John!).

PT called me last night to apologize. He's going to meet me next chest day.

gman
02-26-2010, 09:51 AM
That's nice the PT actually called and apologized!

freebirdmac
02-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Hams and calves:

Hams

RDLs
95x15x2
155x6x3

Lying curls
35x15x2
65x8x3

Glute Ham raises
6x3
(sucky rom, Yeesh. But you can almost feel the hams pumping up)

Calves

Standing
115x20
122.5x20
135x20

Seated
50x20
60x20
70x20

Leg press
90x20
140x20
160x20

I think my body is looking forward to the weekend off. I'll stretch before bed.

bodyhard
02-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Hams and calves:

Hams

RDLs
95x15x2
155x6x3

Lying curls
35x15x2
65x8x3

Glute Ham raises
6x3

Calves

Standing
115x20
122.5x20
135x20

Seated
50x20
60x20
70x20

Leg press
90x20
140x20
160x20

Very very nice!!

tifflex
02-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Hams and calves:

Hams

RDLs
95x15x2
155x6x3

Lying curls
35x15x2
65x8x3

Glute Ham raises
6x3

Calves

Standing
115x20
122.5x20
135x20

Seated
50x20
60x20
70x20

Leg press
90x20
140x20
160x20

Good work Pam!

freebirdmac
02-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Very very nice!!

Good work Pam!

Thanks! Ham/calves day is my bright spot of the week.

The ART guy had told me that I'd feel good for a couple of days after he worked on me. Then pain could return. No lie. Pain woke me up early this am. It was further forward again. In the upper/outer part of my chest near the armpit. It was hard to find a comfy position and it hurt to take a deep breath. But as usual the pain is referred. The real problem is the attachment point near my shoulder blade. I've taken my Motrin and I'll get my daughter to plop a pain patch on me when she gets up. I just hope quads go ok tomorrow. I'm scared squats will piss off my adductors preventing me from working them again.

John, what would you think of me doing squats last? In the past I could do press and hacks with an aggravated adductor as long as I didn't attempt squats first. Never really had lunges in my routine so not sure about them. I was thinking that maybe I should do press, hacks, lunges, then try squats.

freebirdmac
02-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Good work Pam!

New avi!!! I see you have your killer red posing suit! Can't wait to see more picts :D

bodyhard
02-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks! Ham/calves day is my bright spot of the week.

The ART guy had told me that I'd feel good for a couple of days after he worked on me. Then pain could return. No lie. Pain woke me up early this am. It was further forward again. In the upper/outer part of my chest near the armpit. It was hard to find a comfy position and it hurt to take a deep breath. But as usual the pain is referred. The real problem is the attachment point near my shoulder blade. I've taken my Motrin and I'll get my daughter to plop a pain patch on me when she gets up. I just hope quads go ok tomorrow. I'm scared squats will piss off my adductors preventing me from working them again.

John, what would you think of me doing squats last? In the past I could do press and hacks with an aggravated adductor as long as I didn't attempt squats first. Never really had lunges in my routine so not sure about them. I was thinking that maybe I should do press, hacks, lunges, then try squats.

You could do the presses before the quads but no way in hell will you be able to do the squats last unless you are looking to reduce the weight by about 50%. and that is NOT what we are looking for. I am going to call you tomorrow so we can further discuss. around 1:00 is good for you?

freebirdmac
02-28-2010, 12:25 PM
You could do the presses before the quads but no way in hell will you be able to do the squats last unless you are looking to reduce the weight by about 50%. and that is NOT what we are looking for. I am going to call you tomorrow so we can further discuss. around 1:00 is good for you?

I have a meeting at 1. It'd have to be before that or today.

Yeah, I know squats will be tough after all of that. I'm just paranoid. I don't want another week where I can't work quads.

tifflex
02-28-2010, 03:35 PM
New avi!!! I see you have your killer red posing suit! Can't wait to see more picts :D
Thank you:). I'll post more soon;).

bodyhard
02-28-2010, 04:17 PM
I have a meeting at 1. It'd have to be before that or today.

Yeah, I know squats will be tough after all of that. I'm just paranoid. I don't want another week where I can't work quads.

OK I will call you at or around 11:00 AM is that good?

We'll discuss the squats situation further.

bodyhard
02-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Thank you:). I'll post more soon;).

Looking forward to them as well, nice AV!

freebirdmac
02-28-2010, 04:24 PM
OK I will call you at or around 11:00 AM is that good?

We'll discuss the squats situation further.

11 will work just fine.

bodyhard
03-01-2010, 09:24 AM
11 it is

freebirdmac
03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Quads and shoulders:

Quads:

Flipped the normal routine to do squats last. Just in case the adductor acted up again. This way I could hit quads no matter what. Unlike last week.

Press:
90x15x2
360x8x4
(go up next week)

Hack squat
no weight x 15
90x8x4
(did an extra set as I didn't look at John's plan or my journal. should have been 3 sets. I can go up a bit if I'm not a stickler about being exactly at parallel. Where I get stuck)

BB lunges
bar x 14/13
65x8x3
(better this week. No as wobbly. Go up a bit next week)

Squats
65 x 15
95x8x4
(whew! no adductor issues! Cheated on this by not quite letting my butt touch the box. I didn't care as they were last and I was just happy that my adductor wasn't screaming at me)

Shoulders:

Clean and press
20 x 15 x2
55 x 6,6,5,5
(was tougher this week. funny how that works)

Giant set front/side/lateral raises
5x10x2
(I want to use 15# for front raises but my shoulders were so toasted after clean and press. One day)

My butt hurts already!! Hacks and lunges ftw! :D

gman
03-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Good job on legs! Hope the pain is easing some in your shoulder.

I do my lunges stationary...once I get the first lunge done, I just straighten the leg out and bend it again for the entire set, then I switch sides and do it again.

freebirdmac
03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Good job on legs! Hope the pain is easing some in your shoulder.

I do my lunges stationary...once I get the first lunge done, I just straighten the leg out and bend it again for the entire set, then I switch sides and do it again.

Yep. That's how I do them. I'll specify that next time as you did in your journal.

Shoulder is still bothersome. I'll see Jim Fri morning.

gman
03-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Yep. That's how I do them. I'll specify that next time as you did in your journal.

Shoulder is still bothersome. I'll see Jim Fri morning.

Those stepping lunges look pretty dangerous and I am not taking a chance on blowing out a knee at 48 just to do "real" lunges!

did he give you the "put two tennis balls in a tube sock and lean against the wall and roll your shoulder up and down on them while holding the sock over your shoulder" thing to do?

freebirdmac
03-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Those stepping lunges look pretty dangerous and I am not taking a chance on blowing out a knee at 48 just to do "real" lunges!

did he give you the "put two tennis balls in a tube sock and lean against the wall and roll your shoulder up and down on them while holding the sock over your shoulder" thing to do?

Yeah, I need to go to Walgreens. I'm supposed to be icing too :emb:

gman
03-01-2010, 06:38 PM
know what you mean...I don't ever do what he tells me.

blu2xtreme
03-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Damn my leg press machine doesn't even go that high ...I have a lot of strength to build yet.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Damn my leg press machine doesn't even go that high ...I have a lot of strength to build yet.

Your leg press doesn't go up to 360? Where is it from, Ethiopia?

gman
03-02-2010, 05:55 AM
I see a lot of one legged leg presses in Paula's future if the machine is that low

blu2xtreme
03-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Your leg press doesn't go up to 360? Where is it from, Ethiopia?

I see a lot of one legged leg presses in Paula's future if the machine is that low

I could be wrong on that ...I will check it again tonight when I go.

freebirdmac
03-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Let's see, quads a bit sore and fatigued. Check. Glutes hurting. Check. Deadlifts tonight. Check. :eek: It's going to be fun. At least my glutes aren't raising as much hell as they were week before last.

bodyhard
03-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Let's see, quads a bit sore and fatigued. Check. Glutes hurting. Check. Deadlifts tonight. Check. :eek: It's going to be fun. At least my glutes aren't raising as much hell as they were week before last.

Fun fun fun!!!

freebirdmac
03-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Back and traps:

Back:

Wide grip pull down (warm up only)
45x15x2

Pullups
10#x7,6,6,5 (one more set than last time)

Dead lifts
115x5 (my ass screamed "I hate you John!")
115x10
135x8,8,8,7 (upped weight from last time)
(form is still a little off. hard to correct when your body does not want to squat down and your glutes are on fire)

Bent over rows
45x20
105x8x4
(these were harder coming after deads rather than before. I'm glad I didn't go up in weight)

V bar pulldown
40x15
95x6,7,7,6 (up in weight)

Traps:

Shrugs
55x6x3 (upped weight)

Farmers walk
70x16x5 (upped weight)
(a really well meaning guy saw me walking back to the rack with the 70's and without asking he grabbed the one of my right hand. I was using the walk to the rack as my last set, and had completed the desired number of steps. But the suddenness of having the one on the right removed almost made me tip over! Even with versa grips I was having trouble with my left grip. This also left me vulnerable to dropping that db. Fortunately I didn't tip over or drop the weight. Now that would have been embarrassing and not even my fault!)

I am beat up! It looks like I'll finally get a full week of workouts :D

bodyhard
03-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Back and traps:

Back:

Wide grip pull down (warm up only)
45x15x2

Pullups
10#x7,6,6,5 (one more set than last time)

Dead lifts
115x5 (my ass screamed "I hate you John!")
115x10
135x8,8,8,7 (upped weight from last time)
(form is still a little off. hard to correct when your body does not want to squat down and your glutes are on fire)

Bent over rows
45x20
105x8x4
(these were harder coming after deads rather than before. I'm glad I didn't go up in weight)

V bar pulldown
40x15
95x6,7,7,6 (up in weight)

Traps:

Shrugs
55x6x3 (upped weight)

Farmers walk
70x16x5 (upped weight)
(a really well meaning guy saw me walking back to the rack with the 70's and without asking he grabbed the one of my right hand. I was using the walk to the rack as my last set, and had completed the desired number of steps. But the suddenness of having the one on the right removed almost made me tip over! Even with versa grips I was having trouble with my left grip. This also left me vulnerable to dropping that db. Fortunately I didn't tip over or drop the weight. Now that would have been embarrassing and not even my fault!)

I am beat up! It looks like I'll finally get a full week of workouts :D

You are doing farmers with 70lbs??? Fucking aye!

Love reading this Pam, glad you did the whole routine, hate me all you want but you will be loving me in 4-6 months!!

freebirdmac
03-02-2010, 09:20 PM
You are doing farmers with 70lbs??? Fucking aye!

Love reading this Pam, glad you did the whole routine, hate me all you want but you will be loving me in 4-6 months!!

Hey, If it weren't for concern for my left grip I could do 80's! I did keep them on a bench rather than dead lifting them up.

Once I came home it really hit me. I can hardly walk. The back should chime in tomorrow. I'm going to feel sooooo good in the morning. :D

bodyhard
03-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Hey, If it weren't for concern for my left grip I could do 80's! I did keep them on a bench rather than dead lifting them up.

Once I came home it really hit me. I can hardly walk. The back should chime in tomorrow. I'm going to feel sooooo good in the morning. :D

How are you this AM? Don't forget the pics very important.

freebirdmac
03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm better than I thought I would be. Glutes are the worse, followed by adductors then quads. My back is fine. Maybe that'll kick in tomorrow. Still, walking up and down 3 flights of stairs here at work is fun. Something I do many times a day.

I'm going to try and get those picts this afternoon!

bodyhard
03-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm better than I thought I would be. Glutes are the worse, followed by adductors then quads. My back is fine. Maybe that'll kick in tomorrow. Still, walking up and down 3 flights of stairs here at work is fun. Something I do many times a day.

I'm going to try and get those picts this afternoon!

Stairs are your friend :eek: ;)

I will hold you up to the pics!

freebirdmac
03-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Stairs are your friend :eek: ;)

I will hold you up to the pics!

Just woke up from a nap and saw this. Picts done. PM me your email addy.

One thing I saw in these casual relaxed photos was my left shoulder. I felt like I was standing straight and square but it's noticeably lower than my right. It doesn't even hurt much today.

bodyhard
03-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Just woke up from a nap and saw this. Picts done. PM me your email addy.

One thing I saw in these casual relaxed photos was my left shoulder. I felt like I was standing straight and square but it's noticeably lower than my right. It doesn't even hurt much today.

PM sent

Funny when I went to see my physical therapist, when I was rehabilitating my shoulder, once I turned around he said he could tell right away what the problem was by the way I was standing.

freebirdmac
03-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Chest and abs:

Chest

Incline bb
bar x 15 x2
75x8
85x8
94x4
(sorry for the pyramids John but I didn't know what my shoulder could take)

Flat bb
bar x 15
95x6x3

Incline bb
bar x 15
95x 8,6,7

(bb was a bit stronger than last week but still weaker than normal. Yes, my shoulder hurts)

Pullovers
20x15
30x8x3
(stayed medium on weight as I've never done these before and I did not know how my shoulder would like them. I think they'll be good for my shoulder as my chest gets a good stretch)

Abs:

Leg raises (forearm supported)
20x3

Lying leg raises
15x3

Cable crunches
80x20x3

Pain patch is on the shoulder, I'll take a motrin later, and I'll see the ART guy in the am.

Once I get hams and calves in tomorrow I will have actually completed the entire planned routine for once! Chest may suck but I'm getting it in :D

Oh, and John, I've been stretching.

bodyhard
03-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Chest and abs:

Chest

Incline bb
bar x 15 x2
75x8
85x8
94x4
(sorry for the pyramids John but I didn't know what my shoulder could take)

Flat bb
bar x 15
95x6x3

Incline bb
bar x 15
95x 8,6,7

(bb was a bit stronger than last week but still weaker than normal. Yes, my shoulder hurts)

Pullovers
20x15
30x8x3
(stayed medium on weight as I've never done these before and I did not know how my shoulder would like them. I think they'll be good for my shoulder as my chest gets a good stretch)

Abs:

20x3

Lying leg raises
15x3

Cable crunches
80x20x3

Pain patch is on the shoulder, I'll take a motrin later, and I'll see the ART guy in the am.

Once I get hams and calves in tomorrow I will have actually completed the entire planned routine for once! Chest may suck but I'm getting it in :D

Oh, and John, I've been stretching.

No worries on the pyramiding, shoulder is more important. One more day and we will have a full week, maybe not the full routine but we are getting there.

I can just imagine how much more we would be able to do if you didn't have these little quirks!

Keeping your word, I love it.

I always say that my word is my bond.

I love that Tony Montana saying,

"All I have in this world are my balls and my word and I don't break em for no one!"

freebirdmac
03-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Ahhh, just got back from the ART guy. I feel so much better. Of course it'll only last a few days but it's nice to get some relief. Next thing I need to do is find a good masseuse. And not way out in Va Beach.

bodyhard
03-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Ahhh, just got back from the ART guy. I feel so much better. Of course it'll only last a few days but it's nice to get some relief. Next thing I need to do is find a good masseuse. And not way out in Va Beach.

Glad to hear that Pam. I gather you are ready for today's workout~:yep:

freebirdmac
03-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Hams and calves:

Hams:

RDLs
95x15x2
155x8x3
(upped reps, time to up the weight :D )

Lying curls
35x15x2
70x8,7,6
(went up in weight)

GHR
6x3
(rom sucks)

Calves:

Standing calves
115x20
122.5x20
135x20

Seated calves
50x20
60x20
70x17

Leg press
90x20
140x20
160x20

Yay! I finally got through a whole week! The only bothersome thing on me at the moment is something deep in my right glute. Fortunately it did not hinder me tonight. Gotta figure out how to stretch this thing out.

bodyhard
03-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Hams and calves:

Hams:

RDLs
95x15x2
155x8x3
(upped reps, time to up the weight :D )

Lying curls
35x15x2
70x8,7,6
(went up in weight)

GHR
6x3
(rom sucks)

Calves:

Standing calves
115x20
122.5x20
135x20

Seated calves
50x20
60x20
70x17

Leg press
90x20
140x20
160x20

Yay! I finally got through a whole week! The only bothersome thing on me at the moment is something deep in my right glute. Fortunately it did not hinder me tonight. Gotta figure out how to stretch this thing out.

Nice!! One short term goal accomplished. Inch our way.

Why does your ROM suck on the GHR? How are you doing them?

freebirdmac
03-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Nice!! One short term goal accomplished. Inch our way.

Why does your ROM suck on the GHR? How are you doing them?

I'm using the pad for the lat pull down to hold my feet/ankles. I set up a bench in front of me, back is up. I don't go very far from upright before I have to put my hands out for the back of the bench.

bodyhard
03-06-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm using the pad for the lat pull down to hold my feet/ankles. I set up a bench in front of me, back is up. I don't go very far from upright before I have to put my hands out for the back of the bench.

Please please please record this for me. I need to see you doing it.

freebirdmac
03-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Please please please record this for me. I need to see you doing it.

It essentially looks like this http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/renegade10.htm. The second pict is about the point where I need assistance.

bodyhard
03-06-2010, 03:53 PM
It essentially looks like this http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/renegade10.htm. The second pict is about the point where I need assistance.

Ohh I am not looking for a pic, I want to see you performing them to get an idea.

freebirdmac
03-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Ohh I am not looking for a pic, I want to see you performing them to get an idea.

Yes I know. In the interim I thought a pict would help.

freebirdmac
03-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Ugh. I have felt like crap on and off today. I don't think it's a bug. I think menopause hormones are really screwing with me. It happens occasionally. I seriously considered not going to the gym, but I put a smile on my face and made myself go. This was not one of those times when going when not feeling hot worked.

Squats
bar x 15 x 2
105 x 8,8,8,6
(adductors got sore fast. Great.)

Leg press
90x15
410x8x4
(went up in weight and ignored adductor pain. These felt awful but I did them)

Lunges
(did a few body weight and knew adductors were done)

Hack squats
(same as lunges)

Clean and press
20# x 15 x2
55x4
(zero energy left. Zilch. Cut my losses before I hurt something else)

John I want to move squats to last. Let's face it at those weights I'm just working stabilizers, not quads. Since I'm so prone to adductor issues I don't want to miss out on doing everything else. I was ready to go up in weight on lunges. That'll probably buy me more right now than squats.

I did get a video of my squats. After I take a nap I'll start playing with the video.

Ugh. I feel like I need to sleep for a couple of days. ZZZZZZZZ

freebirdmac
03-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Waiting for freaking ever for youtube to "process video". Maybe it'll complete overnight. At the moment I've got a sore throat. Going to bed.

bodyhard
03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Ugh. I have felt like crap on and off today. I don't think it's a bug. I think menopause hormones are really screwing with me. It happens occasionally. I seriously considered not going to the gym, but I put a smile on my face and made myself go. This was not one of those times when going when not feeling hot worked.

Squats
bar x 15 x 2
105 x 8,8,8,6
(adductors got sore fast. Great.)

Leg press
90x15
410x8x4
(went up in weight and ignored adductor pain. These felt awful but I did them)

Lunges
(did a few body weight and knew adductors were done)

Hack squats
(same as lunges)

Clean and press
20# x 15 x2
55x4
(zero energy left. Zilch. Cut my losses before I hurt something else)

John I want to move squats to last. Let's face it at those weights I'm just working stabilizers, not quads. Since I'm so prone to adductor issues I don't want to miss out on doing everything else. I was ready to go up in weight on lunges. That'll probably buy me more right now than squats.

I did get a video of my squats. After I take a nap I'll start playing with the video.

Ugh. I feel like I need to sleep for a couple of days. ZZZZZZZZ

Sleep is good.

Lets stick with the squats last, until we figure this out. We will work this out together.

Waiting on the video.

Sorry I was not on earlier, a friend of my son got killed and we've been running around trying to find out what happen

freebirdmac
03-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Sleep is good.

Lets stick with the squats last, until we figure this out. We will work this out together.

Waiting on the video.

Sorry I was not on earlier, a friend of my son got killed and we've been running around trying to find out what happen

Holy shit John!!! That's awful! I am so sorry!

freebirdmac
03-09-2010, 07:40 AM
I just dragged myself out of bed to email in sick. I hate being sick. I'll have to cancel with the ART guy too. Blech.

bodyhard
03-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Holy shit John!!! That's awful! I am so sorry!

Yeah it really is awful he was only 27, not even his beef he was trying to be a peace maker breaking up a fight and got stabbed once in the chest and died on the way to the hospital. The guy who stabbed him turned himself in the following day. The viewing is today. My son is taking it really bad as well as my nephew who grew up with him and he was suppose to baptize his 6 month old son.

I just dragged myself out of bed to email in sick. I hate being sick. I'll have to cancel with the ART guy too. Blech.

Don't train while sick.

freebirdmac
03-09-2010, 05:07 PM
youtube is still wonky.

http://gallery.me.com/freebird#100010

freebirdmac
03-09-2010, 06:21 PM
No workout. Still feeling crummy. I stayed home from work and napped. Gotta get my mojo back tomorrow. And my appetite.

tifflex
03-09-2010, 07:07 PM
No workout. Still feeling crummy. I stayed home from work and napped. Gotta get my mojo back tomorrow. And my appetite.
Feel better!

gman
03-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Good video! Have you tried the bar a little lower across your traps for more comfort. It almost looks like it's at the base of your neck.

Hope you feel better soon!

freebirdmac
03-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Good video! Have you tried the bar a little lower across your traps for more comfort. It almost looks like it's at the base of your neck.

Hope you feel better soon!

If I put it lower it'll roll off :) It is off my neck. Maybe when I get bigger traps I can lower it further.

freebirdmac
03-10-2010, 06:19 AM
Sleep was awful last night. Hot, cold, hot, cold, right arm asleep, left arm asleep... I have to get one of our cats to the vet this am for teeth cleaning then it's back to bed for me. It feels like a cold but fortunately there's little congestion. Just a bit of a sore throat, hint of congestion, an all over achy feeling, and fatigue. I really hate being sick.

Mac
03-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Hope you get to feeling better soon. Get the cat's teeth cleaned another day and stay in bed!

HeavyDutyGuy
03-10-2010, 04:21 PM
dang girl, youve had a few obstacles lately. I hope you feel better soon..

freebirdmac
03-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Feel better!

Thanks girl!

Hope you get to feeling better soon. Get the cat's teeth cleaned another day and stay in bed!

Heh. Teeth cleaning took a turn for the worse. Cat's blood work and x-rays showed kidney problems. We're hoping it's just an infection. Culture will take a few days.

dang girl, youve had a few obstacles lately. I hope you feel better soon..

Look who's talking! I'll take my obstacles over yours any day!

gman
03-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I was going to see if you wanted to meet at East Coast gym Sunday, but the way things are going with your luck lately, I might regret it! ;)

freebirdmac
03-10-2010, 06:40 PM
I was going to see if you wanted to meet at East Coast gym Sunday, but the way things are going with your luck lately, I might regret it! ;)

We can pencil it in. I'm feeling better. What I thought I might do with you is a few of my exercises with light weights so you can get video. That way I can get a form check on a few things.

gman
03-10-2010, 06:53 PM
We can pencil it in. I'm feeling better. What I thought I might do with you is a few of my exercises with light weights so you can get video. That way I can get a form check on a few things.

I will let you know for sure if I can do it. they have really short hours on Sunday, 10-1!

Would be happy to film you on my iphone, no limit on length of video so we can get you doing a whole set of something.

freebirdmac
03-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I will let you know for sure if I can do it. they have really short hours on Sunday, 10-1!

Would be happy to film you on my iphone, no limit on length of video so we can get you doing a whole set of something.

Oh I have a camcorder and I've been using my iPod nano for what's posted here. Just let me know.

bodyhard
03-10-2010, 07:03 PM
If you guys can do it (the videos) that would be fucking great! Hope it works out.

Pam I will get you the video by weekend I promise.

bodyhard
03-11-2010, 12:33 PM
How are we feeling today Pam?

freebirdmac
03-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Chest and abs

Chest:

Incline bb
bar x 15 x2
70x3 (6-8 reps, didn't write them down)

Flat bb
bar x 15 x1
75x3

Decline
bar x 15 x1
95x3

(Had the pt check my form. Basically it's fine. I can stand to work the shoulders in a bit but it's not bad. Rom is fine. Pain is keeping my numbers off still)

Pullovers
20# x 15
40# x8 x3
(went up in weight)

Abs:

20x3

lying leg raises
15x3

cable curls
85#x20x3

Feeling better today.

blu2xtreme
03-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Glad your feeling better :)
Good looking workout

bodyhard
03-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Chest and abs

Chest:

Incline bb
bar x 15 x2
70x3 (6-8 reps, didn't write them down)

Flat bb
bar x 15 x1
75x3

Decline
bar x 15 x1
95x3

(Had the pt check my form. Basically it's fine. I can stand to work the shoulders in a bit but it's not bad. Rom is fine. Pain is keeping my numbers off still)

Pullovers
20# x 15
40# x8 x3
(went up in weight)

Abs:

20x3

lying leg raises
15x3

cable curls
85#x20x3

Feeling better today.

Cable curls??????

freebirdmac
03-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Cable curls??????

Yeesh. Cable crunches.

Also, "I can stand to work the shoulders in a bit" should have been "I can stand to bring the elbows in a bit".

I think I'm a bit tired :)

bodyhard
03-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Yeesh. Cable crunches.

Also, "I can stand to work the shoulders in a bit" should have been "I can stand to bring the elbows in a bit".

I think I'm a bit tired :)

LOL I have to stay on top of you!!

freebirdmac
03-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Shoulder blade area was killing me this morning. Fortunately I had a 9am appointment with the ART guy. I feel so much better! However this doesn't mean pain free.

I'm seriously thinking that I need to stop working chest for awhile and let this area heal/calm down. It affects everything I do. I talked about this with the ART guy and his feelings were to stop incline and decline and just try flat only for a week. Then decide if I needed to quit all of it. My gut feeling is I need to take a complete break. I'll feel it on flat too. This business of feeling better some days, feeling worse after chest, but always feeling some pain is for the birds.

John, we need to talk about this. My thinking at the moment is no direct chest work for next week. The following week start doing some pushups. I think we ought to give the face pulls and shrugs outlined in that T-Nation article some routine time. After I get to a point where I'm pain free in that area, then start back with flat bench only.

I don't mind dancing around nagging pain and injuries, like putting squats last again. But in this case I don't think I can work chest and dance around this one. I am hoping pushups won't be a problem. Back and shoulder work should benefit from this approach.

gman
03-12-2010, 10:52 AM
would flys aggravate it, or is it just the pressing motion...maybe light flys would help stretch things out good, especially cable work where your stabilizers don't have to work so hard

freebirdmac
03-12-2010, 11:42 AM
would flys aggravate it, or is it just the pressing motion...maybe light flys would help stretch things out good, especially cable work where your stabilizers don't have to work so hard

Cable flyes really made my traps talk.

I dunno Mike. I think the theory is my pectorals are too tight and it's pulled everything else forward. Working the chest just pulls everything forward and then tightens everything back up which also pulls everything forward. Stretching and letting the area heal/rest seems to be the best solution.

bodyhard
03-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Shoulder blade area was killing me this morning. Fortunately I had a 9am appointment with the ART guy. I feel so much better! However this doesn't mean pain free.

I'm seriously thinking that I need to stop working chest for awhile and let this area heal/calm down. It affects everything I do. I talked about this with the ART guy and his feelings were to stop incline and decline and just try flat only for a week. Then decide if I needed to quit all of it. My gut feeling is I need to take a complete break. I'll feel it on flat too. This business of feeling better some days, feeling worse after chest, but always feeling some pain is for the birds.

John, we need to talk about this. My thinking at the moment is no direct chest work for next week. The following week start doing some pushups. I think we ought to give the face pulls and shrugs outlined in that T-Nation article some routine time. After I get to a point where I'm pain free in that area, then start back with flat bench only.

I don't mind dancing around nagging pain and injuries, like putting squats last again. But in this case I don't think I can work chest and dance around this one. I am hoping pushups won't be a problem. Back and shoulder work should benefit from this approach.

Lets discuss can I call you after 1:00 today?

freebirdmac
03-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Lets discuss can I call you after 1:00 today?

Today isn't good until after 5:30pm.

gman
03-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Cable flyes really made my traps talk.

I dunno Mike. I think the theory is my pectorals are too tight and it's pulled everything else forward. Working the chest just pulls everything forward and then tightens everything back up which also pulls everything forward. Stretching and letting the area heal/rest seems to be the best solution.

sounds good, maybe Jim will talk to you about strengthening the back with high rows to even things out on the push pull opposing muscle groups

bodyhard
03-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Today isn't good until after 5:30pm.

OK I will call you after 5:30

freebirdmac
03-12-2010, 01:21 PM
sounds good, maybe Jim will talk to you about strengthening the back with high rows to even things out on the push pull opposing muscle groups

Ever read this Mike?
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/pushups_face_pulls_and_shrugs

freebirdmac
03-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Hams and calves

Hams:

RDL's
115x15,12
165x6x3 (went up in weight)
(Ahh, RDLs save my sanity again :D Cut short the second warm up as left adductor started talking to me. Stretched it out and was fine afterwards)

Lying curls
35x15x2
70x7x3

GHR
6x3
(Did the first two with the bench. A PT showed me how to use a bar instead of the bench. Just put on end in an outer hole of a 25# plate. Tilt the bar towards you. As you come down move your hands down the bar, up as you come up. This allows for full rom as well as assistance.)

Calves:

Standing
115x20
122.5x20
135x20

Seated
50x20
60x20
70x20

Press
(got a call as I started. My daughter got out of class an hour early. Had to leave to pick her up)

bodyhard
03-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Hams and calves

Hams:

RDL's
115x15,12
165x6x3 (went up in weight)
(Ahh, RDLs save my sanity again :D Cut short the second warm up as left adductor started talking to me. Stretched it out and was fine afterwards)

Lying curls
35x15x2
70x7x3

GHR
6x3
(Did the first two with the bench. A PT showed me how to use a bar instead of the bench. Just put on end in an outer hole of a 25# plate. Tilt the bar towards you. As you come down move your hands down the bar, up as you come up. This allows for full rom as well as assistance.)

Calves:

Standing
115x20
122.5x20
135x20

Seated
50x20
60x20
70x20

Press
(got a call as I started. My daughter got out of class an hour early. Had to leave to pick her up)

You take a cell with you to the gym? :(

freebirdmac
03-12-2010, 09:11 PM
You take a cell with you to the gym? :(

Yep. It's rare that I use it.

bodyhard
03-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Yep. It's rare that I use it.

Just busting your chops!

freebirdmac
03-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Just busting your chops!

Yeah, yeah. :D

Nice chatting with you btw :p

bodyhard
03-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah, yeah. :D

Nice chatting with you btw :p

Fuck I forgot about that, can I call you tomorrow or is that not good?

freebirdmac
03-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Fuck I forgot about that, can I call you tomorrow or is that not good?

Ha! Yes, you can call me tomorrow.

bodyhard
03-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Ha! Yes, you can call me tomorrow.

I would call you now but that might be too late for you or not?

freebirdmac
03-12-2010, 10:25 PM
I would call you now but that might be too late for you or not?

Yep. Headed to bed. Tomorrow.

bodyhard
03-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Yep. Headed to bed. Tomorrow.

Okay will do

bodyhard
03-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Video is being uploaded. I will call you tomorrow to discuss this was a really bad week/weekend for me because of the death of my friend.

freebirdmac
03-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Video is being uploaded. I will call you tomorrow to discuss this was a really bad week/weekend for me because of the death of my friend.

No problem John. You've seen my plan via PM. We'll just continue to play this by ear.

freebirdmac
03-14-2010, 08:58 PM
I am so freaking tired of the injury b.s. I've come up with a plan to address both my adductor issue and nagging shoulder issue. I am optimistic that I can get back on track and start accomplishing something once again.

Here's what I'm thinking:

This week. No direct chest work. See ART guy on Fri morning. Keep the chest stretching going. Move shoulders to Thurs w/abs and add face pulls. Put squats last in the quad lineup. At the weight I can lift I'm only working obviously weak stabilizer muscles anyway. This way if my adductors start screaming I can stop without sacrificing the rest of my quad workout. I can get back to adding weight to presses and start getting some weight on my lunges.

Next week. Same as week one but also add pushups in after quads. Note I have not done pushups since I was a kid.

Repeat this for another 3 weeks. Evaluate and hopefully add flat bench and pullovers back in. Move shoulders back to Mon.

I am so ready for multiple good weeks in a row. No more of this every other week shit. Train smarter right?

bodyhard
03-14-2010, 09:15 PM
I am so freaking tired of the injury b.s. I've come up with a plan to address both my adductor issue and nagging shoulder issue. I am optimistic that I can get back on track and start accomplishing something once again.

Here's what I'm thinking:

This week. No direct chest work. See ART guy on Fri morning. Keep the chest stretching going. Move shoulders to Thurs w/abs and add face pulls. Put squats last in the quad lineup. At the weight I can lift I'm only working obviously weak stabilizer muscles anyway. This way if my adductors start screaming I can stop without sacrificing the rest of my quad workout. I can get back to adding weight to presses and start getting some weight on my lunges.

Next week. Same as week one but also add pushups in after quads. Note I have not done pushups since I was a kid.

Repeat this for another 3 weeks. Evaluate and hopefully add flat bench and pullovers back in. Move shoulders back to Mon.

I am so ready for multiple good weeks in a row. No more of this every other week shit. Train smarter right?

Yes agree 100% Train smarter. Check your email I sent you the video

bodyhard
03-15-2010, 04:25 PM
hmmmmm where is the workout for today?

partsRheavy
03-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi Freebird ----

I'm just checking in. I'm not on the computer very often these days, but I feel bad hearing about your injury.

Us moldy-oldies sometimes need to take breaks for a while, whether it's just a couple days or a week or two. I'm aware that the tendons and cartilage recover and build much more slowly than muscle does. This is probably particularly true for the small but delicate machinery like the rotator cuff.

One thing I always keep in mind while training is that if I feel a little twinge in something, I generally go easier on that part for the rest of the workout and the next few days. Those little twinges are like warnings that something is almost at the injury point. So far, knock on wood, am doing OK. But then again, I'm a little lazy sometimes....:p

freebirdmac
03-15-2010, 05:17 PM
hmmmmm where is the workout for today?

Impatient aren't we? :D

Hi Freebird ----

I'm just checking in. I'm not on the computer very often these days, but I feel bad hearing about your injury.

Us moldy-oldies sometimes need to take breaks for a while, whether it's just a couple days or a week or two. I'm aware that the tendons and cartilage recover and build much more slowly than muscle does. This is probably particularly true for the small but delicate machinery like the rotator cuff.

One thing I always keep in mind while training is that if I feel a little twinge in something, I generally go easier on that part for the rest of the workout and the next few days. Those little twinges are like warnings that something is almost at the injury point. So far, knock on wood, am doing OK. But then again, I'm a little lazy sometimes....:p

Glad to see you around again! Thanks for the thoughts!

bodyhard
03-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Impatient aren't we? :D

Very ;)

freebirdmac
03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Quads:

Leg press
90x15x2
410x8x4
(go up in weight next week)

BB static lunges
20# x 15
75x8x3 (went up in weight)

Hacks
empty sled x 15
90x8x3
(need to get a tad more depth to parallel but it felt much better today)

Squats
bar x15x2
95x8x4
(worked on form. will post a video later. went lighter more from everything else that came before squats than for working on form)

No adductor issues! I did some stretching during presses and after warming up on squats which I think helped.

bodyhard
03-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Looking forward to the video.

freebirdmac
03-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Looking forward to the video.

I emailed you the link hours ago :p

bodyhard
03-16-2010, 12:00 AM
I emailed you the link hours ago :p

Ohh shit I was expecting it here duh!!

Let me go look at it.

axioma
03-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Quads:

Leg press
90x15x2
410x8x4
(go up in weight next week)

BB static lunges
20# x 15
75x8x3 (went up in weight)

Hacks
empty sled x 15
90x8x3
(need to get a tad more depth to parallel but it felt much better today)

Squats
bar x15x2
95x8x4
(worked on form. will post a video later. went lighter more from everything else that came before squats than for working on form)

No adductor issues! I did some stretching during presses and after warming up on squats which I think helped.

For the depth, I will do a warm-up then just get in the "bear crappin in the woods" stance, hold it, hold it and then very slowly, keeping the heels anchored push all the way up and squeeze the glutes at the top. Shake it out and then get in the hack or under the bar. Are you calves or achilles tendons tight? They can really affect depth.

freebirdmac
03-16-2010, 09:32 AM
For the depth, I will do a warm-up then just get in the "bear crappin in the woods" stance, hold it, hold it and then very slowly, keeping the heels anchored push all the way up and squeeze the glutes at the top. Shake it out and then get in the hack or under the bar. Are you calves or achilles tendons tight? They can really affect depth.

Depth isn't the problem. It's getting out of the hole. I apparently have some severely lagging stabilizers. Adductors being a big part of it. My quads think these weights are a joke. So I have a choice when doing squats. Work on my weak areas or build my quads. So far I've been trying to correct form and work on my weak areas.

freebirdmac
03-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Before getting to today's workout I would like to say one thing....
My ass hurts dammit!!!

Back and traps:

Back:

Lat pulldowns
45x15x2 (warmup)

Pullups
10# x 6 x3

Deads
115x10 (forgot 2nd warmup)
135x6x4

BO Rows
bar x15x2
105x8x4

V-bar pulldowns
45x15
95x6x4

Traps:

Shrugs
55x8x3

Farmer's walk
70x16x3

Everything felt heavy today. I was going to blame the time change then I remembered I didn't do back last week due to illness. It's probably a combo of both. But I did not reduce any of my weights.

bodyhard
03-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Pam, I love the fact that you keep shit going, you are a trooper! I know if you didn't have these little quirks we would have been kicking mayor fucking ass in the training 100%!

freebirdmac
03-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Pam, I love the fact that you keep shit going, you are a trooper! I know if you didn't have these little quirks we would have been kicking mayor fucking ass in the training 100%!

Thanks John. I feel like all I've done since we've started is whine and cry. I'm tired of it. This alteration to my routine should get things on track.

It had better!!

axioma
03-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Depth isn't the problem. It's getting out of the hole. I apparently have some severely lagging stabilizers. Adductors being a big part of it. My quads think these weights are a joke. So I have a choice when doing squats. Work on my weak areas or build my quads. So far I've been trying to correct form and work on my weak areas.

gotcha, hope you don't think i am being patronizing, you obviously know what you are doing. have you ever used resistance bands?

axioma
03-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Back and traps.

Back:

Bent over rows, overhand grip
65x12
75x12
85x10
95x8
105x6 (very tough, Max aided)

Pull ups
body weight x 12
10# x 10 x 2
(wanted to go to 15# on last set but went for more rom instead)

Seated rows, close grip
70x10
75x8
80x6
(go up next week)

Wide grip lat pulldown

65x10
70x8
75x6
(felt weak on these, lats were giving out at neck instead of chest)

FreeMotion cable pull downs
60x10
70x8
80x6
(probably can go up next week. Machine only has 10# increments)

Traps:

I stopped working traps directly a month ago. The previous 2 day split twice a week took a toll on them. It had gotten to the point where they were never not sore. With this new split I expect to pick them up again after another week.

So instead Max suggested I try doing some glute specific exercises.

Cable kickbacks
40x12
45x10
50x8
55x6

Tried bb glute bridges lying on the floor. Wasn't impressed. Would need to try with neck/shoulder on a bench for more rom.

The gym has a so-called but blaster machine, but it's horizontal. All I feel is quads. I didn't bother.

I apparently didn't get the split Max was forming. Or more likely he hadn't finished forming it in his head last night :) So it looks like Mon - chest/quads, Tues - back/traps, Thurs - shoulders/hams, Fri - arms. Still working on where to place calves, abductors/adductors, and abs. We'll figure it out.

I have to say this is a very different split from anything I've done. I've always worked at least 3 body parts and haven't worked legs once a week in almost 2 years. This seems like a vacation! Although I know it's not. I should be able to hit each body part even harder than before.

I already know I'm adding hack squats to quad day and good mornings to back day.

just been reading through...very impressive reps and weights on your movements, especially that bent row.

freebirdmac
03-17-2010, 11:02 AM
gotcha, hope you don't think i am being patronizing, you obviously know what you are doing. have you ever used resistance bands?

Not at all! I appreciate any comments or feedback. Sometimes I actually know what I am doing. Other times, not so much :)

No, I have not used bands. John is training me for the next 5 months. And using video to correct my form on squats.

just been reading through...very impressive reps and weights on your movements, especially that bent row.

Thanks!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
John as your trainer...cool. Just becareful about his cardio approach..... Chasing down cars and clearing out neighborhood bars with one hand tied behind your back.

Baldie

bodyhard
03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks John. I feel like all I've done since we've started is whine and cry. I'm tired of it. This alteration to my routine should get things on track.

It had better!!

On the contrary you have complained in a good way! Most people would use injuries/pain/niches as an excuse to not workout. You on the other hand complain by saying, this is getting in the way, why don't we try it this way! That is what I like about you, there is no quitting in you...

bodyhard
03-17-2010, 11:52 AM
John as your trainer...cool. Just becareful about his cardio approach..... Chasing down cars and clearing out neighborhood bars with one hand tied behind your back.

Baldie

LMFAO! Damn I have build such a fucked up reputation :(

Hey but in my defense I have not had a fight in 3 months!

freebirdmac
03-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Baldie

Lol!

Whoohoo! 3 whole months!

Just remember a fight could slow up your return to the gym. Just sayin :D

freebirdmac
03-17-2010, 12:45 PM
BTW, it is really hard to walk today. And sit. And stand. :p

axioma
03-17-2010, 01:21 PM
On the contrary you have complained in a good way! Most people would use injuries/pain/niches as an excuse to not workout. You on the other hand complain by saying, this is getting in the way, why don't we try it this way! That is what I like about you, there is no quitting in you...

very good point. adapt.

axioma
03-17-2010, 01:24 PM

Hey, hey bro..come here :hmn:buddy hug! It has taken me the last three YEARS to put a dent in the rep of the previous 25! So, keep keepin' the PEACE bro!

MsGuns
03-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Freebird, I want to public apologize for not posting in your thread. Good for you getting in the gym with everything going on and keeping the weight up. I will stop by for sure.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-17-2010, 04:21 PM
I love it.. we have ourselves a warrior..

partsRheavy
03-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Glad to see that YOU'RE BACK!!!!! :)

freebirdmac
03-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Freebird, I want to public apologize for not posting in your thread. Good for you getting in the gym with everything going on and keeping the weight up. I will stop by for sure.

Wow! No apologies needed. No one is obligated. But you are more than welcome here :)

I love it.. we have ourselves a warrior..

Dunno about warrior, but I am determined.

Glad to see that YOU'RE BACK!!!!! :)

Shhhh. Don't jinx me :) I need a solid month before I'll feel better about all of this.

bodyhard
03-18-2010, 12:22 PM
How are we feeling today? Did you stretch?

freebirdmac
03-18-2010, 12:44 PM
How are we feeling today? Did you stretch?

Quads, adductors, and glutes have lingering soreness, but are much better. I was concerned about my shoulder this am as it was not happy but it's loosened up as the day has gone on. Ready for shoulders and abs.

joedemarco
03-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Good decision!

freebirdmac
03-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Good decision!

Correcting form definitely but I'm torn on the working the weak areas part. Not that they should't be addressed, but rather should they be addressed differently and do partial squats to build the quads. I'm hoping as things are now that leg press and lunges are sufficient for building size.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Good ideas in this journal.. and still loving that arm shot ICon pic.

joedemarco
03-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Correcting form definitely but I'm torn on the working the weak areas part. Not that they should't be addressed, but rather should they be addressed differently and do partial squats to build the quads. I'm hoping as things are now that leg press and lunges are sufficient for building size.

What I tend to do is have some days where I reduce my weight and squat super deep (way past parallel). On these days you would definitely be hitting those weak spots. I then have squat days where I just go parallel so that I can load up the weight and hit my quads harder. Might be something to consider...:)