PDA

View Full Version : Freebird's Lean Bulk

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

freebirdmac
09-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Shoulder press machine
90x10
110x6x2
(holy cow were these awful tonight. shoulders felt like they had been worked before I even started.

Front db raises
15x10x3

Side db raises
12.5x10x3

Cable across body
10x3

Cable (rope) front raises
20x3
(shoulder burn and fatigue big time!)

Reverse flyes
10x15x3

Cable upright rows
10x3

Db shrugs
40x20x3

An assortment of new ab exercises followed.

I have got to improve my form on chest day so that I don't have such sore traps. I'd also like it if chest day didn't wipe my shoulders out so much. Fat chance.

freebirdmac
09-23-2010, 07:54 PM
I have used a 2" foam topper on my bed for years. Even before starting to lift I found it helped my shoulders and back. A couple of weeks ago I found out that Costco was selling a gel foam topper. The selling point for me was no or less heat. The plain foam topper does get pretty warm at times. So I bought one. It is much firmer than the plain foam. At first I didn't like that, but loved that it was cooler. Then I somewhat adjusted to the firmness. Now I know I have to go back to the plain foam. I need the softer foam. I've been waking up with stiffer shoulders and lower back. It gets better as the day goes on, but this isn't worth it. No doubt it's not helping my gym efforts. So it'll go to my daughter and if she doesn't like it, back to the store.

freebirdmac
09-24-2010, 04:34 PM
So tired today. Eyes kept drooping at the office. Kept thinking my 2nd leg workout was really going to be tough. Especially after shoulders last night.

I was pleasantly surprised :D

Front squats
45x10
65x10
85x10
95x10
115x6 (need more depth)

(now I know this is wimpy weight. But I've had 3 groin pulls and back squats always generate another strain around 100#. I don't know if I've strengthened my adductors or there's something about front squats that keeps me from torquing them. My only issue with front squats thus far is pain on my shoulders from the bar. I do seem to be adapting. Lighter weight which used to hurt doesn't hurt so much now. Just going to take it slow and keep depth to parallel)

Extensions
(finding weight)
80x10 (toes out)
95x10 (toes in)
110x10x2

GHR
4 sets of 3 :eek:

(set a bar at the bottom of the rack. Slid on 45's, parked a couple of 35's in front of the 45's to keep the bar from rolling, put on my bar pad, and stole a "do not remove from room" yoga mat. Worked perfectly! Much better than my previous ghetto method. Except they kicked my ass)

DB reverse lunges
15# x 10 (each leg) x4

(back foot returns to starting position. Complete reps on one leg before doing the other. At first I thought I was an idiot for doing GHR's first. Now I think it's actually better. Dunno)

Smith calve raises
140x15x4
(nice and slow)

Talked to my trainer and asked him to remind me to keep my ears over my shoulders and neck relaxed on chest day. I have got to fix my form so I don't feel like I worked shoulders and traps on chest day, messing up the rest of the week.

Wonder what my lower body will feel like tomorrow?

freebirdmac
09-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Ha! I wondered how to do donkey calf raises on the Smith

TMn_E7Q_dLQ

Gotta see if the hook on my dip belt will work.

freebirdmac
09-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Nope. Gotta make a trip to Lowe's.

Baldiewonkanobi
09-25-2010, 07:47 AM
:hypno: those are legal in Va. ?

Baldie

freebirdmac
09-25-2010, 09:47 AM
:hypno: those are legal in Va. ?

Baldie

Can't look any worse than kneeling one-leg ham curls. At least they turned that machine around. The rear shot when women were using the machine was causing a lot of distraction :)

freebirdmac
09-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Hoist chest press
90x12
110x10
120x8
130x6
(Tried hard to keep head back on pad and neck relaxed. Had some sharp pain in left trap, but ignored it)

DB incline press
30x10
35x10
40x10
45x6
:D

Decline press
30x a few
(ouch! This sharp pain in left trap area could not be ignored)

Cable flyes
(upped weight by too much on second set, dropped back a bit for 3rd)

Pullovers
35x10
40x8
45x6
50x4

Incline db curls
15x10
20x10
25x6
(took a few very short breaks to get all 6 on both sides)

Cable curls

Machine hammer curls
70x10
80x8
90x8
100x6

Cable reverse curls

Concentration curls
20x10
25x8 (had to help myself on last couple)
30x4 (same here)

Hopefully I spared my traps some and will have a better shoulder day later in the week.

Having some diet issues :hypno: I can eat the country loaf bread from Panera bread, but apparently not every day. Too much gluten and it catches up with me. Not fun. Adding quinoa back in to help make up the difference. I already upped oats from 1/2c in the am to 3/4c. I seem ok with that. But I still have a bit of a cal shortage. Working on it. Sucks to have such a limited food choice.

freebirdmac
09-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Smith squats
140x10
160x8
180x5x2
190x5x2
200x5

RDL's
135x8
Fuck! My lower back!!!!! Shit! And here I was worried about my damn traps.

Driving home I thought a lot about this. My form was fine. This was a warm up weight. What happened? Looking back (heh) my lower back has been sending some signals for a few weeks. Twinges here and there, slight soreness when I wasn't expecting it, spasming during abs. None of which made me think of my workouts. I actually thought that gel foam mattress pad was partially responsible.

So, I gotta make some changes. Smith squats on Tues and front squats on Fri both work my lower back. I don't want to drop either so I think I'll table RDL's for awhile.

Any opinions?

BTW, Walgreen's has Ben Gay Pain Patches on sale right now. How lucky am I?

Down4whatever
09-28-2010, 05:02 PM
RDL's
135x8

So, I gotta make some changes. Smith squats on Tues and front squats on Fri both work my lower back. I don't want to drop either so I think I'll table RDL's for awhile.

Any opinions?

I assume (without researching) that RDL is primarily a hamstring exercise. Why not go with some prone leg curls for 5 sets with limited rest?

Just a suggestion and to get the discussion started...

freebirdmac
09-28-2010, 05:24 PM
I assume (without researching) that RDL is primarily a hamstring exercise. Why not go with some prone leg curls for 5 sets with limited rest?

Just a suggestion and to get the discussion started...

It is a posterior, lower chain exercise. It doesn't hit the lower back as much as straight leg, but it does hit the lower back, glutes, and hams.

This is what I had:

Tues: Squats, RDL's, and leg press. Primarily 5x5

Fri: Front squats, leg press, GHR, reverse lunges. 4x8-12

I'll talk to my trainer too. I'd just like to get opinions of the folks here too.

Thanks Matt!

freebirdmac
09-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Lower back is sore. I can't walk upright, have to bend a bit at the waist. Fortunately for me I can telecommute so I don't have to deal with sitting in an office chair all day. Or walking up and down 3 flights of stairs. Using the pain patches since last night. Going to try the heating pad later. Looks like no gym for the rest of the week :(

I still believe tabling RDL's for awhile is the right move. Now I'm pondering moving GHR to Tues and doing another ham exercise on Fri.

Down4whatever
09-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Lower back is sore. I can't walk upright, have to bend a bit at the waist. Fortunately for me I can telecommute so I don't have to deal with sitting in an office chair all day. Or walking up and down 3 flights of stairs. Using the pain patches since last night. Going to try the heating pad later. Looks like no gym for the rest of the week :(

I still believe tabling RDL's for awhile is the right move. Now I'm pondering moving GHR to Tues and doing another ham exercise on Fri.

Wow, that sux Pam. Do you have a history of chronic back issues? Sorry if you've mentioned before..

freebirdmac
09-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Wow, that sux Pam. Do you have a history of chronic back issues? Sorry if you've mentioned before..

Nope. Just have issues when/if I do something stupid.

I worked up to 200 pounds doing Smith squats fairly quickly. At first, at the lower weights, I could really feel it working my lower back. I wasn't doing RDL's at the time. Then recently, over a short period of time I added RDL's back in (on a different day) and got back up to 155-165# range. Not long after that I switched routines and started doing Smith squats and RDL's on the same day. Back to back.

I was over confident in my lower back. Stupid me didn't consider that 200# squats just might be working something other than my quads.

freebirdmac
10-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Lower back is progressing nicely. I still feel a little bit of crankiness on the right side. I think I'm at 85%. Wonder if the quercetin/bromelain helped. I seem to be recovering faster than I would have thought.

Got a long over due deep tissue massage last night. Kat spent an hour on my upper body. Mostly on my back (upper and lower). Yikes there was a lot of work to be done. And yes, it hurt like hell at times.

My traps were pretty darn tight but I found out that the sharp pain I was feeling in the trap/collar bone area was coming from a muscle that runs from the neck to the collar bone.

Scheduled another massage in two weeks. I need to get and stay on top of this.

KevinCouch
10-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Lower back is progressing nicely. I still feel a little bit of crankiness on the right side. I think I'm at 85%. Wonder if the quercetin/bromelain helped. I seem to be recovering faster than I would have thought.

Got a long over due deep tissue massage last night. Kat spent an hour on my upper body. Mostly on my back (upper and lower). Yikes there was a lot of work to be done. And yes, it hurt like hell at times.

My traps were pretty darn tight but I found out that the sharp pain I was feeling in the trap/collar bone area was coming from a muscle that runs from the neck to the collar bone.

Scheduled another massage in two weeks. I need to get and stay on top of this.

Glad to hear your healing quickly! Deep tissue massage done properly hurts like hell but it really loosens up the areas that need it. I'm having my first deep tissue massage tonight after injuring my back 4 weeks ago. Every 2 weeks is a good schedule to stick to.

Keep Training!

freebirdmac
10-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Chest and bi's at the big gym

New routine

DB incline
25x12
30x10
30x8
30x5
30x4
30x3
35x2
40x1
(I wasn't clued into the rep scheme until after we started so my starting weight was too high. I'll fix that next week)

DB flat
25x10
30x8
35x5
40x5

incline cable flyes
30x12, 35x12x3

Ez bar curls
30x12
40x10
50x8,7
(haven't done these in months! I was glad I could handle 50 ok although I had bad form getting the first rep up)

Seated alt db curls
15x12
20x10
25x8 (was supposed to be two sets but couldn't find but one #25 :mad: then trainer had to get back to the express gym down the street. I followed and we finished at the express gym)

rope curls
x10x4

Reverse cable curls with curl bar
x18x4
(phfftt, this is a wrist exercise)

I'll do better next week now that I know what the routine is.
No back pain!! :D

freebirdmac
10-04-2010, 06:47 PM
I was thinking... tomorrow is heavy leg day. I had been doing Smith squats, RDL's, and leg press. Since heavy Smith's followed by heavy RDL's resulted in a lower back strain last week I decided to take RDL's out of my routine and substitute with another ham exercise. Probably GHR.

Tomorrow I was going to pass on heavy squats and instead do the hack squat machine to parallel and go heavy. Give my lower back another week even though it feels pretty good.

So, the thinking part... what if I switch from Smith squats to heavy machine hacks to parallel for awhile. That takes the load off of my back and I can add RDL's back in. Good idea? Bad idea? I do Smith squats as opposed to bb squats because of 3 previous groin pulls. By doing hacks to parallel would I not accomplish the same thing?

freebirdmac
10-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Thought about this some more. Since my legs are over powering my lower back it makes more sense to keep RDL's out for awhile and focus on building me lower back. Trainer had changed routines, which I didn't get to last week. I know back extensions are in there. Never did them before. I've relied on good mornings in the past.

freebirdmac
10-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Heavy leg day

Hack squat machine
50x10
90x8
140x5
160x5
180x5
200x5
(to parallel. staying away from adductors. feet set to focus on quads)

Leg press
180x10
270x5
320x5
360x5
410x5x2
(felt heavier than 2 weeks ago)

GHR
3x5

Tried to rig donkey calves. Between my short height and lots of slack from an oversized belt I couldn't rig it. I'd need to stand on the bench to get tension between the belt and the bar. Tried hack machine calves, not loving that either. Going to try seated again. Maybe since I'm not doing Smith squats it won't bother me.

Back is only slightly sore :)

KevinCouch
10-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Thought about this some more. Since my legs are over powering my lower back it makes more sense to keep RDL's out for awhile and focus on building me lower back. Trainer had changed routines, which I didn't get to last week. I know back extensions are in there. Never did them before. I've relied on good mornings in the past.

Back extensions are a good alternative to good mornings since you also have lower back issues. Good mornings are hard on your lower lumbar insertions. You can also try back extensions on the hyper extensions bench just pull you hips closer to the pad and instead of keeping your back arched, round it on the way down allowing your spinal erectors to do the work instead of your glutes and hams and don't come up above parallel hyperextending any muscle group IMO isn't good for it and runs the risk of injury.
Kevin

PS. If your bodyweight isn't enough resistance grab a weight or small dumbell and hold it while doing the exercise.

freebirdmac
10-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Back extensions are a good alternative to good mornings since you also have lower back issues. Good mornings are hard on your lower lumbar insertions. You can also try back extensions on the hyper extensions bench just pull you hips closer to the pad and instead of keeping your back arched, round it on the way down allowing your spinal erectors to do the work instead of your glutes and hams and don't come up above parallel hyperextending any muscle group IMO isn't good for it and runs the risk of injury.
Kevin

PS. If your bodyweight isn't enough resistance grab a weight or small dumbell and hold it while doing the exercise.

Funny you should mention these. Today is back day and I was going to give extensions a go. Never did them before.

freebirdmac
10-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Wow. Took a major energy dive today. Hit a wall in the gym.

Back and tri's

Pullups
bw x 30
(felt a sharp pain in left tri during pullups. quickly switched from wide grip to neutral grip. don't know where that came from)

Narrow grip pull downs
4x10 pyramiding weight
(these felt good but I kept feeling that tri)

One-arm seated rows, machine
120x10
140x10
(this is where the wall showed up)

Incline db rows
35x10x3

Back extensions
bwx8xx3
(lol! I could have done more but my quads were so sore it felt like I was laying on rocks)

I attempted tri press downs and stopped. I have no desire to tear up another body part. I can try some tri exercises on Friday.

The good news is my neck feels the best it has in weeks! Not doing machine chest press on Mon seems to have made a difference.

Now I just need to ignore the Yankee game tonight and get to bed early :rolleyes:

Hammerfit
10-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Sounds like your hips may be the problem with your lower back. Common problem, Matt and Joe can expound on this more. If your hips are not flexable it transfer stress to lower back when squatting. I fought with this for a long time. I stretch ALOT before squatting and it has helped, but you got to get down and dirty to really stretch your hips (uncomfortable)

SLD best exercise there is for hams/glutes, if this bothers you it is most likely your form have a trainer watch you while you perform to make sure you are not rounding your back

Mike Horn always told me when you squat and it hurts your back, it's too heavy for your form, either drop the weight and learn the proper form or just do lighter weight with alot of reps

freebirdmac
10-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Sounds like your hips may be the problem with your lower back. Common problem, Matt and Joe can expound on this more. If your hips are not flexable it transfer stress to lower back when squatting. I fought with this for a long time. I stretch ALOT before squatting and it has helped, but you got to get down and dirty to really stretch your hips (uncomfortable)

SLD best exercise there is for hams/glutes, if this bothers you it is most likely your form have a trainer watch you while you perform to make sure you are not rounding your back

Mike Horn always told me when you squat and it hurts your back, it's too heavy for your form, either drop the weight and learn the proper form or just do lighter weight with alot of reps

Hmm. I can bb squat butt to ankles with up to 90#. Then my adductors and history of groin pulls come into play. Which is why I switched to the Smith.

RDL's have never bothered me before, except when I lost focus once. Learned that lesson :hypno: I get watched a lot doing them :rolleyes: I get the rounded back comments once in awhile when I've increased the max weight too much. The guys will stop being guys long enough to note form and let me know.

I truly think my quads have overtaken my lower back. The last time I did good mornings my top weight was 105. I do have RDL's up to 165, but that uses a lot of ham and glutes.

I dunno. This can get really confusing :dunno:

I do know I need to stretch more.

Hammerfit
10-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Hmm. I can bb squat butt to ankles with up to 90#. Then my adductors and history of groin pulls come into play. Which is why I switched to the Smith.

RDL's have never bothered me before, except when I lost focus once. Learned that lesson :hypno: I get watched a lot doing them :rolleyes: I get the rounded back comments once in awhile when I've increased the max weight too much. The guys will stop being guys long enough to note form and let me know.

I truly think my quads have overtaken my lower back. The last time I did good mornings my top weight was 105. I do have RDL's up to 165, but that uses a lot of ham and glutes.

I dunno. This can get really confusing :dunno:

I do know I need to stretch more.

Just my 2 cents worth; others may disagree w me but I would stay away form smith machine for squats you will never have good form squatting if you use the "cruch" My wife started on the smith machine, when I finally got her off she really struggled with having to use "less" weight. You have to ask yourself why you are training. Is it to use more weight which is impressive or do you want a better body? Hence the name bodybuilding.

Try stretching and I mean real stretching which is painful after you have warmed up on a bike or treadmill or whatever, then do BB SLDL with a weight that doesnt put you under alot of stress for around 10-12 reps. Do about 3 or 4 sets of them slowy. The idea here is to stretch out the hams and glutes before putting yourself under the squat bar. Now go back to your 90lb deep squats and do pyramids of escalting weight until you have reached your limit at least 5-6 reps. Just dont go up if you have a form break. I watch Lisa very closely, if she wobbles or one legs it, I make her go back down in weight and start over.

Oh and the guy thing doing DL's. I know we are pigs. Turn around to the wall simple solution. Best trick to get rid of rounded back: dont move anything, just stick your butt out as far as you can.

freebirdmac
10-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Just my 2 cents worth; others may disagree w me but I would stay away form smith machine for squats you will never have good form squatting if you use the "cruch" My wife started on the smith machine, when I finally got her off she really struggled with having to use "less" weight. You have to ask yourself why you are training. Is it to use more weight which is impressive or do you want a better body? Hence the name bodybuilding.

Try stretching and I mean real stretching which is painful after you have warmed up on a bike or treadmill or whatever, then do BB SLDL with a weight that doesnt put you under alot of stress for around 10-12 reps. Do about 3 or 4 sets of them slowy. The idea here is to stretch out the hams and glutes before putting yourself under the squat bar. Now go back to your 90lb deep squats and do pyramids of escalting weight until you have reached your limit at least 5-6 reps. Just dont go up if you have a form break. I watch Lisa very closely, if she wobbles or one legs it, I make her go back down in weight and start over.

Oh and the guy thing doing DL's. I know we are pigs. Turn around to the wall simple solution. Best trick to get rid of rounded back: dont move anything, just stick your butt out as far as you can.

I've had 3 groin pulls in the last couple of years. Every time I go back to bb squats it's not long and I have another. I video taped myself doing squats a few months back and had John (bodyhard) critique my form. Made a few adjustments, re-taped, got the ok, and soon after had a slight groin strain. Stayed out a week, back at it, strain again. This went on for several weeks and just got ridiculous. Every other week I couldn't work my legs.

I know the adductors have to be addressed. I've been good about stretching them. I was hoping that through front squats I could strengthen them without worrying about not taxing my quads. In the meantime I still wanted to be able to build my quads. Leg press, lunges, and extensions are fine. But if Smith squats or hack squats can help, then I'll do them.

The guys don't bother me. There aren't too many in the gym when I'm there and the regulars who would comment on my form behave themselves.

Hammerfit
10-06-2010, 07:19 PM
I've had 3 groin pulls in the last couple of years. Every time I go back to bb squats it's not long and I have another. I video taped myself doing squats a few months back and had John (bodyhard) critique my form. Made a few adjustments, re-taped, got the ok, and soon after had a slight groin strain. Stayed out a week, back at it, strain again. This went on for several weeks and just got ridiculous. Every other week I couldn't work my legs.

I know the adductors have to be addressed. I've been good about stretching them. I was hoping that through front squats I could strengthen them without worrying about not taxing my quads. In the meantime I still wanted to be able to build my quads. Leg press, lunges, and extensions are fine. But if Smith squats or hack squats can help, then I'll do them.

The guys don't bother me. There aren't too many in the gym when I'm there and the regulars who would comment on my form behave themselves.

sounds like your hams are weaker than your quads? If you have the same stance in smith machine as BB shouldnt be difference Do you do hip adductions? I would rather you do hacks than smith anyday hacks are great if you go deep here's a video of my wife doing SLDL's may helpYouTube - Stiff Leg BB dead lift.wmv

freebirdmac
10-06-2010, 07:27 PM
sounds like your hams are weaker than your quads? If you have the same stance in smith machine as BB shouldnt be difference Do you do hip adductions? I would rather you do hacks than smith anyday hacks are great if you go deep

First, thank you for taking all of this time :)

Dunno about the hams. I haven't suspected that they were lagging. Then again GHRs are showing me they ain't all that.

Stance in the Smith is feet forward. Similar to the hack machine.

I tossed the adductor machine months ago as adding it in seemed to be too much for them on top of the other exercises I was doing. Even light and easy. I have been toying with the idea of bringing it back in.

I do hacks like I was doing Smith squats. To parallel to stay away from that sticking point where the adductors get me. Like bb squats I'd really have to drop the weight to go deep and then I'm not getting what I need on my quads.

Hammerfit
10-07-2010, 09:39 AM
First, thank you for taking all of this time :)

Dunno about the hams. I haven't suspected that they were lagging. Then again GHRs are showing me they ain't all that.

Stance in the Smith is feet forward. Similar to the hack machine.

I tossed the adductor machine months ago as adding it in seemed to be too much for them on top of the other exercises I was doing. Even light and easy. I have been toying with the idea of bringing it back in.

I do hacks like I was doing Smith squats. To parallel to stay away from that sticking point where the adductors get me. Like bb squats I'd really have to drop the weight to go deep and then I'm not getting what I need on my quads.

yep from what I hear you sayin, the problem with your squat is you are negletting the most powerful muscle in the leg, the hamstring. I understand the emphasis on the quad sweep, it is what you can see. But to build truley great legs you must start at the foundation and work outward.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing now, just a different perspective. I know from personal experience with Lisa, she did the same thing. I got her squatting out of the rack and doing lots of adductions as well as various lunges and her legs took off. Her sweep improved greatly and she has much more seperation in her quads now.

freebirdmac
10-07-2010, 02:10 PM
yep from what I hear you sayin, the problem with your squat is you are negletting the most powerful muscle in the leg, the hamstring. I understand the emphasis on the quad sweep, it is what you can see. But to build truley great legs you must start at the foundation and work outward.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing now, just a different perspective. I know from personal experience with Lisa, she did the same thing. I got her squatting out of the rack and doing lots of adductions as well as various lunges and her legs took off. Her sweep improved greatly and she has much more seperation in her quads now.

So are you thinking my adductors get overtaxed on deep squats because my hams are weak?

Hammerfit
10-07-2010, 02:24 PM
So are you thinking my adductors get overtaxed on deep squats because my hams are weak?

yep

freebirdmac
10-07-2010, 05:42 PM
yep

Interesting. Not something that had ever crossed my mind. Thanks for the analysis!

freebirdmac
10-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Blah. That's how I felt when I woke up. Just that all over icky feeling where you just want to curl up in bed and sleep all day. Of course I went to work and the gym.

Shoulders/traps/abs

Started off in the big gym so I used the Hammer Strength machine not knowing what weight to do. Immediately felt my left tri again. I guess I somehow managed to strain it doing pull ups yesterday. Weird.

HS press
50x12
90x10x2
(decided not to push it. between feeling ill and my tri)

Front raises
15x10x3

Side raises
10x10x3

Cable across body
10x3
(upper weight on 2nd set. slow negative)

Reverse incline flyes
10x15x3

Cable upright rows
10x3

Shrugs
40x15x3

Assorted ab work.

Hope I feel better for legs part two tomorrow.

freebirdmac
10-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Hey Hammer.. I think this article further supports your weak hamstring theory http://www.ergo-log.com/squatsadductors.html

Sledge
10-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Ha! I wondered how to do donkey calf raises on the Smith

TMn_E7Q_dLQ

Gotta see if the hook on my dip belt will work.

Ahh good old Josh Dickinson. Haven't seen him around for a while. One of Australia's best natural competitors, just ask him he'll be happy to tell you how good he is. :)

Why would you do them anyway Freebirdy. Just get someone in the gym to sit on your back. Start with a teen and work your way up till you have Marcus Ruhl sitting on you.

freebirdmac
10-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Ahh good old Josh Dickinson. Haven't seen him around for a while. One of Australia's best natural competitors, just ask him he'll be happy to tell you how good he is. :)

Why would you do them anyway Freebirdy. Just get someone in the gym to sit on your back. Start with a teen and work your way up till you have Marcus Ruhl sitting on you.

Hehe, a bb with an ego??? I'm shocked! :D

If my trainer is available I'll ask him. I think he's around 190 atm. My daughter is around 120 so I might try to rig up something here at home. Otherwise... dunno if I'd want most of the folks at the gym climbing on my back. I'll figure this out.

Sledge
10-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Oh sheesh. At least pick a random hotty in the gym. Even if you don't get the reps out you can have fun while they climb up

freebirdmac
10-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Oh sheesh. At least pick a random hotty in the gym. Even if you don't get the reps out you can have fun while they climb up

There are hotties in the gym?? Where? :p

Sledge
10-08-2010, 08:02 AM
You need to change gyms. Or start drinking heavily before you go.

freebirdmac
10-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Felt a bit better today. Not 100%, but better than yesterday.

Front squats
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x8,6
(still a bit sore from hacks on Tues. Felt it on every rep :) . Focused on form. Did well until the last set when the bar started rolling forward. Should be better next week. Hadn't done hacks in awhile so there's more soreness this week)

Reverse db lunges
20#(each hand) x10 (each leg)x4

Extensions ss w/kneeling one-leg curls
95x10x4 / 50x10x4

Seated calves ss w/adductor/abductor
90x10x4 / 95x10x4 (abduct) / 50x10x4 (adduct)
(went really light on abduct/adduct to start off. Seated calves worked so much better since I didn't do Smith squats this week)

Hammerfit
10-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Felt a bit better today. Not 100%, but better than yesterday.

Front squats
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x8,6
(still a bit sore from hacks on Tues. Felt it on every rep :) . Focused on form. Did well until the last set when the bar started rolling forward. Should be better next week. Hadn't done hacks in awhile so there's more soreness this week)

Reverse db lunges
20#(each hand) x10 (each leg)x4

95x10x4 / 50x10x4

Seated calves ss w/adductor/abductor
90x10x4 / 95x10x4 (abduct) / 50x10x4 (adduct)
(went really light on abduct/adduct to start off. Seated calves worked so much better since I didn't do Smith squats this week)

nice job

freebirdmac
10-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Up 4.5 pounds but don't have the big belly pooch to show got it :D

Been testing out some recipes free of gluten, dairy, corn, and sulfites. Coconut bread was awful and buckwheat pancakes were ok, the cinnamon apple topping saved them. Made some pumpkin muffins with coconut and rice flours today that were actually good! They are the first cake like food I've eaten in almost 5 years! Yay!!! I needed cals that weren't protein or heavy on the fiber. Hopefully I won't have a delayed reaction to some of the iffy ingredients. I must be one of the few you'll ever hear of who has trouble finding enough food to eat :p

KevinCouch
10-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Up 4.5 pounds but don't have the big belly pooch to show got it :D

Been testing out some recipes free of gluten, dairy, corn, and sulfites. Coconut bread was awful and buckwheat pancakes were ok, the cinnamon apple topping saved them. Made some pumpkin muffins with coconut and rice flours today that were actually good! They are the first cake like food I've eaten in almost 5 years! Yay!!! I needed cals that weren't protein or heavy on the fiber. Hopefully I won't have a delayed reaction to some of the iffy ingredients. I must be one of the few you'll ever hear of who has trouble finding enough food to eat :p

Do you have food allergies? My son has severe food allergies to all dairy, peanuts and shellfish. I've got some recipes if you want to try something new. We use soy protein for all of his recipes..What type of protein are you using right now?

freebirdmac
10-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Do you have food allergies? My son has severe food allergies to all dairy, peanuts and shellfish. I've got some recipes if you want to try something new. We use soy protein for all of his recipes..What type of protein are you using right now?

No gluten, milk protein, corn (and it's derivatives), and sulfites. The milk protein problem I saw coming for decades. Eventually got to the point where I couldn't ignore it anymore about 5 years ago. Gluten was probably the same way I just didn't know it. Shortly after that the corn and sulfite stuff hit. That's how I got so skinny. I only knew of a few safe foods.

Crabs and shrimp are proving to be trouble. Even though I can get them unadulterated from the boat. I can buy fresh, unsulfited tuna and wild salmon works.

I get all of my protein from food. Lots of Trader Joe's chicken. I tried soy protein and bloated like crazy. Even on 1/2 scoop a day. I do ok with using soy milk with my oatmeal. And I bought soy flour to try in some recipes. I was hoping the latter wouldn't cause bloating when used in cooking.

The only nuts without sulfites are macadamias. I eat those once in awhile.

So yeah, if you have some recipes pass 'em on. I can't eat any more chicken, black beans, sweet potatoes, oats, or quinoa. I really don't need any more protein or fiber. I'd just about kill for a good bread recipe.

tifflex
10-11-2010, 10:11 AM
No gluten, milk protein, corn (and it's derivatives), and sulfites. The milk protein problem I saw coming for decades. Eventually got to the point where I couldn't ignore it anymore about 5 years ago. Gluten was probably the same way I just didn't know it. Shortly after that the corn and sulfite stuff hit. That's how I got so skinny. I only knew of a few safe foods.

Crabs and shrimp are proving to be trouble. Even though I can get them unadulterated from the boat. I can buy fresh, unsulfited tuna and wild salmon works.

I get all of my protein from food. Lots of Trader Joe's chicken. I tried soy protein and bloated like crazy. Even on 1/2 scoop a day. I do ok with using soy milk with my oatmeal. And I bought soy flour to try in some recipes. I was hoping the latter wouldn't cause bloating when used in cooking.

The only nuts without sulfites are macadamias. I eat those once in awhile.

So yeah, if you have some recipes pass 'em on. I can't eat any more chicken, black beans, sweet potatoes, oats, or quinoa. I really don't need any more protein or fiber. I'd just about kill for a good bread recipe.
Wow, you have to be careful when choosing what to eat.

4.5lb gain with no belly pooch is exciting! Good job:).

freebirdmac
10-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Wow, you have to be careful when choosing what to eat.

4.5lb gain with no belly pooch is exciting! Good job:).

Thanks Tiff! I think so too :)

freebirdmac
10-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Got up today and my neck was killing me. I don't know what I did when I was sleeping last night, but I hope I never do it again. Took my quercetin/bromelain, a Motrin, and crossed my fingers.

BB flat bench
45x15
65x15
85x12
95x10
105x8
115x4
115x6
120x3
120x2
120x1
(holy heck! me bb benching again? :eek: I freaked out when my trainer said to do these. I protested that this is where my shoulder blade screws up. He told me not to be afraid of them, that I had gotten stronger since I last did them (somewhere back in March), and to do them. So I trusted him and did them. I don't know how much he helped at 115, and especially 120. I do know he made me work. 115x4 was the best I ever did, maybe a year ago)

Flat db
30x10
35x10
40x8
45x5
(started losing in on the 45's)

Incline cable flyes
x12, x9, x7
(couldn't tough out 12x3 at the same weight)

BB curls
30x12
40x10
50x8x2
(50's went really well. I want to try 60's next week)

Close grip reverse
20x12

Wide grip curl
40x12

DB hammer curls
20x10
25x8
30x8

Concentration curls
20x12
25x10

Didn't feel my neck except on the first set or two of bb bench. Until now. Sucker hurts.

I'm pretty happy with tonight's workout :)

partsRheavy
10-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Good w/o!! Hope ya wake up tomorrow feeling great!

freebirdmac
10-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Good w/o!! Hope ya wake up tomorrow feeling great!

I do feel good! Neck is ok. Sore where I should be sore :rolleyes: Traps stayed out of it last night. Scary good. Know what I mean?

Long time no see! How's things with you?

freebirdmac
10-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Heavy leg day

Hack squat machine
90x8
140x5
160x5
180x5
200x5
220x5
(to parallel. staying away from adductors. feet set to focus on quads. Felt my lower back on last two sets. Had to focus on not letting it come off the pad)

Leg press
270x8
320x5
360x5
410x5
460x5
500x5
(felt really good! Wanted 550 but kept remembering the left quad crap @500 a couple of weeks ago when I jumped right into this machine after a long layoff. may have been too conservative. dunno. )

GHR
(phfftt)

Seated calves
90x10
110x8x3

I did tweak my back a little bit last night hauling 42 lb litter bags around. Didn't exactly use good form getting the stuff in/out of cart/car :rolleyes: It's fine, but I gotta quit doing stupid stuff.

partsRheavy
10-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Goin' good! I've moved out of North Carolina just in time to avoid winter.

Obviously, I'm at a new gym...a true Old Skool gym!! Everyone works hard, and it's a real lifters' gym.

Of course, I'll miss the scenery and the beautiful mountains of NC, as well as the quiet. But I'm enjoying riding the bike around here ---- I'm in Austin, which is a really bike-friendly city.

I do feel good! Neck is ok. Sore where I should be sore :rolleyes: Traps stayed out of it last night. Scary good. Know what I mean?

Long time no see! How's things with you?

partsRheavy
10-12-2010, 11:58 PM
How many kitties?

Remember to use proper form with the cat litter, or with remodeliing stuff like bricks or cement! :p :hugme:

I did tweak my back a little bit last night hauling 42 lb litter bags around. Didn't exactly use good form getting the stuff in/out of cart/car :rolleyes: It's fine, but I gotta quit doing stupid stuff.

freebirdmac
10-13-2010, 08:42 AM
How many kitties?

Remember to use proper form with the cat litter, or with remodeliing stuff like bricks or cement! :p :hugme:

We have 4 kitties and a rabbit. Although the rabbit uses a paper type litter.

Texas?! Cool! I didn't know you were on the move. New job?

freebirdmac
10-13-2010, 08:45 AM
I have another pict to add to my inspiration list.

Sharon Bruneau

Down4whatever
10-13-2010, 05:35 PM

Sharon Bruneau

I honestly don't think youre too far from that now, Pam. Keep hammerin' away. What are your thoughts on vitamin S? Just curious; don't respond if you're not comfortable doing so :D

freebirdmac
10-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Pullups
bw x30

Close grip pill down
12, 10, 8, 8, 8
(trainer is trying to work on my rep cadence. I tend to have a steady state cadence and he'd like a more explosive movement)

Machine 1-arm rows
140x10x3
0x burn out x 2
(made some form adjustments and worked on cadence)

Seated (on floor) cable rows wide grip
12x2

Seated (on floor) cable rows narrow grip
8x2

Back extensions
bx15x3

CGBP Smith
20x30x4

Press down

Skull crushers
15x8x3

Reverse pull down
12x3

Machine dip
failure x3

Chest is some kind of sore. But where it should be sore. Not in the traps or neck :)

freebirdmac
10-13-2010, 05:42 PM
I honestly don't think youre too far from that now, Pam. Keep hammerin' away. What are your thoughts on vitamin S? Just curious; don't respond if you're not comfortable doing so :D

Vitamin S??

Hammerfit
10-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Pullups
bw x30

Close grip pill down
12, 10, 8, 8, 8
(trainer is trying to work on my rep cadence. I tend to have a steady state cadence and he'd like a more explosive movement)

Machine 1-arm rows
140x10x3
0x burn out x 2
(made some form adjustments and worked on cadence)

Seated (on floor) cable rows wide grip
12x2

Seated (on floor) cable rows narrow grip
8x2

Back extensions
bx15x3

CGBP Smith
20x30x4

Press down

Skull crushers
15x8x3

Reverse pull down
12x3

Machine dip
failure x3

Chest is some kind of sore. But where it should be sore. Not in the traps or neck :)

Pullups
bw x30

Are you serious?! Holy Smokes!

freebirdmac
10-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Pullups
bw x30

Are you serious?! Holy Smokes!

Not all in one set or all wide grip. Usually I do 50 wide over multiple sets then 20 neutral grip over a few sets. My chest and bi's have been so sore lately that my numbers are coming down. That was only 14 wide grip and 16 neutral. Which is pretty pathetic.

AnglicanBeachParty
10-14-2010, 10:25 AM

Sharon Bruneau

Very inspiring, indeed.

freebirdmac
10-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Shoulders/traps

Seated bb press
bar x 15
65x12
75x10
(hadn't done these in forever. trainer called at this point and switched over to small gym)

DB upright rows
20x15
25x10
30x8

Smith press PWO
50x10
70x4
60x3
50x8
70x5
80x3 (lots of help)
80x1 (lots of help)
(was supposed to be 10,10,8,5,3,1 chasing weights to figure out what I needed)

Standing db press
15x10
20x10
25x8
30x3
25x3
(supposed to be 10,8,6 chasing weight again. With 30's it was too much in my back)

Leaning lateral
12.5x12
15x12
(I like these! Not as painful and I can go heavier)

Cable rev flyes
10x2

Cable upright rows
10x3

DB shrugs
45x10,10,12

No time for abs. Awwww :p

freebirdmac
10-14-2010, 07:02 PM
I like this shoulder workout. Aside from db rows, nothing aggravated my shoulder/shoulder blade. That's something. I will have to go slow on the weight for standing presses to stay out of my back.

partsRheavy
10-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Going to be looking for work - job market is better here AND winter doesn't involve feet of snow on top of feet of snows.

4 kitties will keep ya totin' cat litter!

We have 4 kitties and a rabbit. Although the rabbit uses a paper type litter.

Texas?! Cool! I didn't know you were on the move. New job?

Sledge
10-15-2010, 01:06 AM

Sharon Bruneau

Mmmmm Yes. She's ummmmmm very aesthetically pleasing and has great symmetry.

freebirdmac
10-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Leg day #2 Hypertrophy

Front squats
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x10
115x8x2
(need to get lower at 115)

Reverse db lunges
25#(each hand) x10 (each leg)x4

110x10x4 / 60x10x3, 60x8/7

Seated calf machine ss w/adductor/abductor
200x10x3 / 105x10x3 (abduct) / 60x10x3 (adduct)

Off to get a massage :p

freebirdmac
10-18-2010, 06:09 PM
It was a Monday. A comedy of errors I suppose. Trainer texted me that we'd start about 3:30 at the big gym. Didn't reply when I asked for an update at 3:10. Lounged around the gym for a good 20 minutes. Got a text he was down the street at the chiropractor. My text app was acting weird as I *know* I saw a text that said small gym. So I hopped in the car and passed him on the road. Turned around. Got set to workout then saw he didn't have his gloves. They were at the other gym. So we head to the small gym :eek:

By this time it's already 4:30. An hour and a half later than normal workout time. I should be done by this time. I'm up at 5am and last ate at 1:30. I'm fading. So we get the Smith setup for presses. Trainer said a few things that made me realize he wasn't in the best of moods. I did two light sets and he had disappeared to his desk. I think he did this as he knows I don't want his moods messing with my workouts. So I packed my shit up and left.

I am more mad at myself than anything. I should have started my workout at 3:30 period. If it wasn't what he had in mind, so what. I know I start fading by 5. I knew I had some errands to run and cooking to do after the gym. Phfftt. I can be too nice sometimes.

I have to take my daughter to a community college in the valley on Wed. They're one of two places in the state where you can take the licensed vet tech classes. Open house is at 4. It's 3.5 hours away. So I already knew I wouldn't get back/tri's in on Wed. I'll get my two leg days in as normal. Not sure what I'll do with upper body yet. We had been talking about a light week. May be lighter than we were originally thinking.

Hammerfit
10-18-2010, 06:14 PM
It was a Monday. A comedy of errors I suppose. Trainer texted me that we'd start about 3:30 at the big gym. Didn't reply when I asked for an update at 3:10. Lounged around the gym for a good 20 minutes. Got a text he was down the street at the chiropractor. My text app was acting weird as I *know* I saw a text that said small gym. So I hopped in the car and passed him on the road. Turned around. Got set to workout then saw he didn't have his gloves. They were at the other gym. So we head to the small gym :eek:

By this time it's already 4:30. An hour and a half later than normal workout time. I should be done by this time. I'm up at 5am and last ate at 1:30. I'm fading. So we get the Smith setup for presses. Trainer said a few things that made me realize he wasn't in the best of moods. I did two light sets and he had disappeared to his desk. I think he did this as he knows I don't want his moods messing with my workouts. So I packed my shit up and left.

I am more mad at myself than anything. I should have started my workout at 3:30 period. If it wasn't what he had in mind, so what. I know I start fading by 5. I knew I had some errands to run and cooking to do after the gym. Phfftt. I can be too nice sometimes.

I have to take my daughter to a community college in the valley on Wed. They're one of two places in the state where you can take the licensed vet tech classes. Open house is at 4. It's 3.5 hours away. So I already knew I wouldn't get back/tri's in on Wed. I'll get my two leg days in as normal. Not sure what I'll do with upper body yet. We had been talking about a light week. May be lighter than we were originally thinking.

You need a new trainer! That's BS. Sorry that happened to ya.

freebirdmac
10-18-2010, 06:55 PM
You need a new trainer! That's BS. Sorry that happened to ya.

I know he tried to squeeze in a much needed trip to the chiro (couldn't hardly walk last week) and got tied up. I didn't have to be so patient though. Shit happens. I know that. I gotta get tough with me too. Don't wait around. Just start. He won't get paid for the time and I get a workout in.

BTW, when this guy strikes out, I'm done with trainers. At least for awhile.

partsRheavy
10-19-2010, 12:19 PM
I'll bet you know enough to do fine on your own without the expenditure and hassle of having a trainer. I'll bet you know your strong points, weak points, what exercises you respond best to etc. If you need a spotter, you can probably ask around the gym.

KevinCouch
10-19-2010, 02:51 PM
From everything I read, you are knowledgeable enough to go on without a trainer at all. You know your body best by now and know what works for you and what doesn't.

My advice is ditch the trainer! Hope you weren't paying too much for this guy. You probably know more about training than him!!

freebirdmac
10-19-2010, 04:36 PM
I'll bet you know enough to do fine on your own without the expenditure and hassle of having a trainer. I'll bet you know your strong points, weak points, what exercises you respond best to etc. If you need a spotter, you can probably ask around the gym.

I think so too. :)

freebirdmac
10-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Heavy leg day

Hack squat machine
90x10
180x5
200x5x2
220x5x2
(to parallel)

Leg press
270x10
320x5
360x5
410x5
460x5
500x5

GHR
(still really tough)

Seated calves
120x10x4

I should go up on hacks and leg press next week.

freebirdmac
10-19-2010, 05:06 PM
This guy was in the gym tonight http://www.hampton.gov/halloffame/steve_stanaway.html

A few more years under his belt but still involved in arm wrestling. He and another guy set a bar up in the cage like they were going to do hammer rows. But what they were doing were wrist curls. Something about the angle and how it hits the forearm. Pretty cool to watch.

I was in the rack next to them doing GHR's. Had to explain that exercise :p

Baldiewonkanobi
10-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Did you see Ax's Sticky comment? You and Mac host a Herbal/Homeopathic thread.

Baldie

freebirdmac
10-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Did you see Ax's Sticky comment? You and Mac host a Herbal/Homeopathic thread.

Baldie

Oh yeah?

freebirdmac
10-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Just spent most of the past 11 hours in a car. My head is buzzing :eek:

At least my daughter liked what she heard about the licensed vet tech program and liked the valley area. I'm hoping it motivates her to get her ducks in a row. Like getting a damn learner's permit before she turns 19 in Feb :hypno:

freebirdmac
10-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Shoulders/traps

DB upright rows
20x15
25x10
30x8

Smith press PWO
50x10
60x8
70x5 (didn't get low enough)
60x8x2

Standing db press
20x10x3
(I know I can press heavier. problem is I can't press heavier and stay out of my lower back)

Leaning lateral
15x12x3

Seated Cable rev flyes
10x3
(seated, standing...they both are tough)

Cable upright rows
10x3

DB shrugs
45x15x3

partsRheavy
10-22-2010, 02:16 AM
I was a late driver too. Got my license at around 20.

Is your daughter a bike rider? I hope maybe there are other bike riders around the college and maybe she can hook up with them, if she doesn't want to drive a car.

At least my daughter liked what she heard about the licensed vet tech program and liked the valley area. I'm hoping it motivates her to get her ducks in a row. Like getting a damn learner's permit before she turns 19 in Feb :hypno:

Sledge
10-22-2010, 04:09 AM

Stop driving her places. Nothing motivates someone more than inconvenience.

freebirdmac
10-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Stop driving her places. Nothing motivates someone more than inconvenience.

Phhfft. She doesn't go anywhere. Except to classes and my mom takes her as I'm at work. That alone should have done it. My mom can make her crazy :p

GirlyMuscle
10-22-2010, 08:54 AM
I didn't get my license until I was 18. Same with my son which is kinda weird for a car nut boy.

freebirdmac
10-22-2010, 08:55 AM
I was a late driver too. Got my license at around 20.

Is your daughter a bike rider? I hope maybe there are other bike riders around the college and maybe she can hook up with them, if she doesn't want to drive a car.

You too? I cannot relate. I made my dad take me to the DMV on my 16th birthday. I wanted that license asap!

This community college is in a rural area. The roads are two lanes wide, no bike paths, and in many places barely a shoulder. Not the best area for riding bikes. A bit further up the road at JMU there are some bike paths. Also some killer hills. Still, I don't trust most drivers on the road when it comes to bikes :eek:

freebirdmac
10-22-2010, 05:15 PM
I didn't get my license until I was 18. Same with my son which is kinda weird for a car nut boy.

What is wrong with you people???????

freebirdmac
10-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Leg day #2 Hypertrophy

Front squats
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x10
115x8x2
(115 sure felt heavy today)

Reverse db lunges
30#(each hand) x10 (each leg)x4

200x20x3 / 120x10x3 (abduct) / 60x10x3 (adduct)

partsRheavy
10-23-2010, 01:30 AM
Tell ya what. I'll write up a post in my journal about the driving thing. The answer is too long and would clutter up your journal. Might take a couple days. However, I believe that us late drivers and/or non-drivers are in good company. I think that Kai Greene and our own Suzanne Germano don't own cars. ;)

What is wrong with you people???????

kimm4
10-23-2010, 02:50 AM
Leg day #2 Hypertrophy

Front squats
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x10
115x8x2
(115 sure felt heavy today)

Reverse db lunges
30#(each hand) x10 (each leg)x4

Looks good girl!!

Sledge
10-23-2010, 03:04 AM
I got my learners permit on the 1st morning I could. and sat my drivers test 2 days after I turned 17.

One of my best friends has twin sons. and they were 19 and still no licence. And he was getting pissed off of driving them to work and every where else. He made them start taking the bus to work etc and guess what, they couldn't wait to get their licence.

freebirdmac
10-25-2010, 08:09 AM
I have been toying with the idea of changing leg press to unilateral leg press. Aside from lunges, I've never done any unilateral work. It would also help me in that I need someone to help me unlock/lock the press when I go above 410#. Short legs and not enough adjustment on the sled.

Any thoughts?

Baldiewonkanobi
10-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Instead of changing leg press start adding in a few Unis at end of leg session and see where you are at.

I drove at 14. We were visiting Portland,Or from L.A. and my dad had to be flown back due to emergency surgery. Mom was too shook to drive...I drove the 1100 miles. I taught my 3 kids to drive by 15 and they were out on their own by 16.

Baldie

Hammerfit
10-25-2010, 09:14 AM
I have been toying with the idea of changing leg press to unilateral leg press. Aside from lunges, I've never done any unilateral work. It would also help me in that I need someone to help me unlock/lock the press when I go above 410#. Short legs and not enough adjustment on the sled.

Any thoughts?

You should give it a try. Very humbling. You will be surprised at how little weight you will have to use. Switch back and forth. One week bilateral, heavy; next week unilateral heavy as possible but keep working back and forth from leg to leg without stopping for 4 sets. I promise your quads will be fried!

Lisa has the same problem -5'2" she slides up off the seat a few inches once the weight is engaged, that may help.

freebirdmac
10-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Whoa. Nothing in the tank today. Sure is frustrating to have workouts that suck. Not even going to list weights. It was that bad :(

Flat BB bench
Incline cable flyes
Pullovers

E-Z bar partial reps immediately followed by full reps
Lying wide cable curls
Concentration curls

I have been under treated for hypothyroid for years. The initial larger dose gave me PVCs. The fatigue though is getting to me. I get blood work done next Mon so I'm going to ask the Doc if we can't bump up the dose. Maybe not as high as the initial dose. Somewhere in between that dose and what I have been taking.

joedemarco
10-25-2010, 09:43 PM
I would definitely work some unilateral leg presses into your workout. It's a good exercise and will hit your legs in a different way then regular leg presses. Let us know how you make out after you try them.

freebirdmac
10-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Felt better today. Just the normal tired. Not the overwhelming tired like yesterday. Maybe that was just menopause talking and not my thyroid. Funny thing is, I'm sore! And the weight I pushed around last night was pitiful!

Heavy leg day

Hack squat machine
90x10
180x5
230x5x4 (up 10#)
(to parallel)

Leg press
270x10
360x5
410x5
460x5
500x5
(I really wanted 6 plates but it just wasn't there tonight. I could kick myself for not doing a second set at 500. Where was my mind??? :mad: )

GHR
5x5
(not pretty, but got it done)

Seated calves
110x10x4

I get attention w/5 plates on the leg press. Guys like that :P I think it's kind of funny myself.

I did get two guys who were watching me on leg press to try the GHR. Neither had done them before. One guy totally failed. The other did as well as me. Wonder if they'll ever do the again. Probably not :)

KevinCouch
10-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Felt better today. Just the normal tired. Not the overwhelming tired like yesterday. Maybe that was just menopause talking and not my thyroid. Funny thing is, I'm sore! And the weight I pushed around last night was pitiful!

Heavy leg day

Hack squat machine
90x10
180x5
230x5x4 (up 10#)
(to parallel)

Leg press
270x10
360x5
410x5
460x5
500x5
(I really wanted 6 plates but it just wasn't there tonight. I could kick myself for not doing a second set at 500. Where was my mind??? :mad: )

GHR
5x5
(not pretty, but got it done)

Seated calves
110x10x4

I get attention w/5 plates on the leg press. Guys like that :P I think it's kind of funny myself.

I did get two guys who were watching me on leg press to try the GHR. Neither had done them before. One guy totally failed. The other did as well as me. Wonder if they'll ever do the again. Probably not :)

Totally awesome!! Bet that made you feel pretty f**king good, didn't it?
Great workout freebird.....looks like you're on your way without a trainer.
Keep up the hard training and it's paying off.

freebirdmac
10-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Totally awesome!! Bet that made you feel pretty f**king good, didn't it?
Great workout freebird.....looks like you're on your way without a trainer.
Keep up the hard training and it's paying off.

I would have felt better if I had done 6 plates :rolleyes:

Trainer is still in the picture for upper body. He only had input on adding front squats and reverse lunges for lower body and checking form. He's still on probation, and knows it.

partsRheavy
10-27-2010, 12:37 AM
I envy your leg press numbers!!

It's funny, but the GHR is not all that hard for me whereas getting down to parallel with squats and hacks is hard. I wonder what my weakness is and what is strong in the GHR?? I've never worked with a trainer (can't afford it), so sort of have to figure this sort of stuff out myself.

freebirdmac
10-27-2010, 06:20 AM
I envy your leg press numbers!!

It's funny, but the GHR is not all that hard for me whereas getting down to parallel with squats and hacks is hard. I wonder what my weakness is and what is strong in the GHR?? I've never worked with a trainer (can't afford it), so sort of have to figure this sort of stuff out myself.

Can you do a good, deep body weight squat?

freebirdmac
10-27-2010, 07:40 AM
On Oct 4th I took some measurements. Did again this am.

height 5'4"
weight: 109; 111 ____________+2
Upper Arms: 11 1/4; 11 1/2___+1/4
Waist: 24 1/4; 24 1/2 ________+1/4
Mid Thigh: 19; 19 1/2 ________+1/2
Chest: 31 1/2; 31 3/4 ________+1/4
Calf: 11 7/8; 12 1/4 __________+3/8
Hips: Did not measure (now 34 1/2)

A lot of pump going on, but I'll take it! :D

As long as my leg growth outpaces my waist growth I'll maintain my current caloric intake.

Mac
10-27-2010, 08:11 AM

Nothing like a great pump, eh?

Good job on the numbers going in the right direction.

Hammerfit
10-27-2010, 08:22 AM
On Oct 4th I took some measurements. Did again this am.

height 5'4"
weight: 109; 111 ____________+2
Upper Arms: 11 1/4; 11 1/2___+1/4
Waist: 24 1/4; 24 1/2 ________+1/4
Mid Thigh: 19; 19 1/2 ________+1/2
Chest: 31 1/2; 31 3/4 ________+1/4
Calf: 11 7/8; 12 1/4 __________+3/8
Hips: Did not measure (now 34 1/2)

As long as my leg growth outpaces my waist growth I'll maintain my current caloric intake.

good job!

freebirdmac
10-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Lol, I am so sore. Chest and tri's from Mon, upper back from hack squats. I am going to move pullovers from chest day to back day as for whatever reason they kill my tri's. And I don't hit tri's directly until back day.

Pullups
bw x14
(Soreness really impacted these)

Wide grip pull down

Machine 1-arm rows
90x10, 110x8, 130x6
(focused on keeping shoulders back entire time. no rolling shoulder forward)

Lying incline db rows
30x10x3
(I like these. it's hard to use any other muscle than the back)

Press down

Standing db extensions
35x8x3
(very slow, trying to get really deep)

Skull crushers
15x8x3

Bench dip
failure x3

My strength wasn't bad, but boy did it hurt to do everything!

Baldiewonkanobi
10-27-2010, 05:20 PM
I see you did your whammy dammie and brought over Yak from BB.com. We were gonna hook up while he was in the USA a year or so ago. I was gonna host him to the Mecca but he never called after he arrived. Got any more up your sleeve?

Baldie

freebirdmac
10-27-2010, 05:49 PM
I see you did your whammy dammie and brought over Yak from BB.com. We were gonna hook up while he was in the USA a year or so ago. I was gonna host him to the Mecca but he never called after he arrived. Got any more up your sleeve?

Baldie

Not yet :)

I hope Yak starts a journal here. He'd make a great addition and I think he'd enjoy the company.

freebirdmac
10-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Shoulders/traps

DB upright rows
20x10
25x10

Smith press PWO
50x10
60x8
70x6
80x4 (with help)

Front db raises
15x10
17.5x10x2

Side db raises
12.5x10
15x10x2

Cable rev flyes
10x3

Db incline reverse flyes
10x15x3

Cable upright rows
10x3

DB shrugs
45x15x3

Assorted ab stuff

joedemarco
10-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Good solid workout, Freebird!

freebirdmac
10-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Leg day #2 Hypertrophy

Front squats
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x10
(I had some sort of body wave thing going on at the of this last set. I was literally staring into my own eyes in the mirror asking myself wtf is going on??? Oh. Abs last night, Been ditching abs for a few weeks and they are sore. Duh. Core was giving out on me. No more ditching abs! So I didn't do 115#. I'm not pushing it and risking injury)

Reverse db lunges
25#(each hand) x10 (each leg)x4
(didn't update my book and repeated 25# rather than grab 30's. No wonder they felt easy. Yeesh)

110x10x4 / 60x10x3, 60x8
(go up on extensions next week. I'm going to sneak up curls with the 2.5 pounders)

DUKE56
10-29-2010, 05:12 PM
whew, that makes me tired just reading it.
Cant forget the abs. Looks like a great workout.

freebirdmac
10-30-2010, 10:11 AM
I've done this Layne Norton strength/hypertrophy routine for legs for six weeks. I love the results but I think I need to cycle off of it for awhile. Recovery is slowing and lower body workouts do effect upper body muscles.

The question becomes what to do with those 2 leg days. Split hams and quads, have a hypertrophy and endurance split, or simply work lower body once a week. :dunno:

Sledge
10-30-2010, 11:28 AM
I've done this Layne Norton strength/hypertrophy routine for legs for six weeks. I love the results but I think I need to cycle off of it for awhile. Recovery is slowing and lower body workouts do effect upper body muscles.

The question becomes what to do with those 2 leg days. Split hams and quads, have a hypertrophy and endurance split, or simply work lower body once a week. :dunno:

Or just have an extra rest day. If "Recovery is slowing and lower body workouts do effect upper body muscles" then allow more time for recovery.

I also like the idea of splitting quads and hams. It always made sense to me. maybe keep running the program your doing for another 2 weeks then take a week off legs to give them a chance to recover than back into a new heavy leg routine that splits quads and hammies/calves. Or as my friend and ex-training partner Tracy used to say split your front and back legs.

freebirdmac
10-30-2010, 11:45 AM
I also think I need to rework my overall schedule. I do better with a mid-week break. This Mon-Fri split only has me resting on Sat and Sun. Going back to a 4 day split with Wed also off will be tough with legs 2x week, but legs are my priority.

Sledge
10-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Throw in an upper part with leg days

day 1 Front legs, rear/side delts
Day 2 back
day 3 off
Day 4 back Legs, Arms
Day 5 Chest, front delts
Day 6/7 off

Something like that just mix it up a bit.

tifflex
10-30-2010, 02:27 PM

Congratulations! IMO, you should do only go 6-10 weeks on the program and then give your body a break. Have you considered a de-load week?

Day 2 back
day 3 off
Day 4 back Legs, Arms
Day 5 Chest, front delts
Day 6/7 off

I like this split as it gives you a break every couple of days, which improves recovery.

I'm interested to see your new split. Enjoy the weekend!

freebirdmac
10-30-2010, 02:52 PM

Day 2 back
day 3 off
Day 4 back Legs, Arms
Day 5 Chest, front delts
Day 6/7 off

Yeah, I like the way that looks.

Congratulations! IMO, you should do only go 6-10 weeks on the program and then give your body a break. Have you considered a de-load week?

I like this split as it gives you a break every couple of days, which improves recovery.

I'm interested to see your new split. Enjoy the weekend!

I essentially did a deload week on upper body last week by only getting in a shoulder workout. I think this is a long term thing. I switched to a 5 day routine in May and my body is saying that's enough. Give me that rest day back. I believe I'm at a point where weeks off and deloads won't fix it. I need that regular mid-week break.

My trainer is still handling upper body. I'll talk to him on Monday. See what he comes up with.

Sledge
10-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I like the way that looks.

That was just a quick off the cuff layout to give you the idea. Have a think about week/strong points etc when you lay out your plan.

freebirdmac
10-30-2010, 04:19 PM
That was just a quick off the cuff layout to give you the idea. Have a think about week/strong points etc when you lay out your plan.

I am. I want RDL's back in the program, I need to get good morning's worked in, chest has led off the week for awhile and should be pushed later, don't want to over load my lower back...

I was even thinking where I'd put lunges. Quad day with front squats, hack, and leg press or ham/glute day with RDL's, GHR, and curls. Would holding the db's for lunges interfere with working bi's later on in the same workout...

Lol! It's like trying to put a puzzle together.

freebirdmac
10-31-2010, 04:25 PM
My bursitis/tendonitis in my left shoulder blade area is in it's full glory today :( I forgot to take my quercetin/bromelain yesterday too. I've noticed over the past few weeks that my chest is a bit sore after front squats. Tight chest pulls shoulders forward and bingo! I have shoulder issues. I was supposed to get a massage Friday too. But when I set the appointment two weeks ago their computer was down. The receptionist forget to add me in when it came up. So I get one this Friday for free :)

I'm going to switch to bb back squats this week. If I can do front squats without tweaking my adductors, I should be able to do bb back squats. Right? I don't want to go back to Smith squats as I had gotten heavy enough to load my lower back.

I swear I'm always chasing around an injury :daz:

Mac
10-31-2010, 06:01 PM
I would go back to Smith Squats and target your leg muscles vs. all the other muscles that come into play with free form squatting. You don't need heavy weights to build muscle. Do a couple sets to failure with moderate weights and your muscles won't know the difference and they will grow.

freebirdmac
10-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Good point. I wouldn't be doing 5x5 with the Smith. I can stay in the 12 rep range.

Thanks!

freebirdmac
11-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Standing down tonight. Left pec is gnawing at me. I know it's referred pain from the bursitis in my shoulder blade. I need it to calm down. I did the tennis ball in the sock thing last night trying to work it out. That was a mistake. It just got the tendons ringing!!! Usually when the tendons get whacked out like this it'll take a few days to a week. Then they magically calm down. Like someone flicks a switch.

I thought about going in and working bi's. Just moving my arms with nothing in my hands starts to annoy my chest fast. So I'll go home and lay on a heating pad instead. Hoping I can do legs tomorrow.

joedemarco
11-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Standing down tonight. Left pec is gnawing at me. I know it's referred pain from the bursitis in my shoulder blade. I need it to calm down. I did the tennis ball in the sock thing last night trying to work it out. That was a mistake. It just got the tendons ringing!!! Usually when the tendons get whacked out like this it'll take a few days to a week. Then they magically calm down. Like someone flicks a switch.

I thought about going in and working bi's. Just moving my arms with nothing in my hands starts to annoy my chest fast. So I'll go home and lay on a heating pad instead. Hoping I can do legs tomorrow.

Smart move, Freebird. You have to listen to your body sometimes.

freebirdmac
11-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Feeling better but gave myself the week off :)

Here's the split I'm mulling over:

Monday: Quads; front and side delts

Tuesday: Back; traps

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Chest; tri; rear delts

Friday: Hams; bi; abs

Notes:

Alternate weeks for good mornings on back day and deadlifts on ham day so lower back isn't over worked

Keep pullovers on chest day since tri's are worked that day

Chest and rear delts may seem weird, but rear delt exercises stretch the chest. Maybe it'll help my bursitis issue.

Want to take legs back to a 12-15 rep range. Except deadlifts (8-10)

Hammerfit
11-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Feeling better but gave myself the week off :)

Here's the split I'm mulling over:

Monday: Quads; front and side delts

Tuesday: Back; traps

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Chest; tri; rear delts

Friday: Hams; bi; abs

Notes:

Alternate weeks for good mornings on back day and deadlifts on ham day so lower back isn't over worked

Keep pullovers on chest day since tri's are worked that day

Chest and rear delts may seem weird, but rear delt exercises stretch the chest. Maybe it'll help my bursitis issue.

Want to take legs back to a 12-15 rep range. Except deadlifts (8-10)

Good looking split, I looked at the delts/traps being back to back might be my only comment but even that is not that big of a deal

mastersfreak
11-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Outstanding log.

In, to follow....

joedemarco
11-03-2010, 09:27 AM
I like the new split. I don't know exactly what exercises you perform on the various days, but the split itself looks good.

For example, I would have trouble doing back after leg (quad) day because I usually squat on leg day and deadlift heavy on back day. I need a couple days off between those two workouts.

Good luck with it Freebird! Let us know how it goes.

freebirdmac
11-03-2010, 10:09 AM
I like the new split. I don't know exactly what exercises you perform on the various days, but the split itself looks good.

For example, I would have trouble doing back after leg (quad) day because I usually squat on leg day and deadlift heavy on back day. I need a couple days off between those two workouts.

Good luck with it Freebird! Let us know how it goes.

Yeah, putting together a split really is like putting a puzzle together. I'll do squats on quad day but at higher reps so it shouldn't mess with my lower back. Deads for me means RDL's which will come later in the week on ham day. What I don't know yet is how the shoulder work will impact my back day.

Having two leg days really squeezes upper body. I try to keep shoulders and chest far apart (except rear delts) and don't want back near ham day (due to RDL's). It'd be easier if legs were only worked 1x week.

freebirdmac
11-05-2010, 08:39 PM
One week off. I'm surprised at how sore my hands, forearms, neck, and shoulders are. Not horrible or anything, but more than I would have thought. Got a massage tonight and therapist found even more sore spots. Oh well :)

Bursitis pretty much went away by Tues. I swear the quercetin and bromelain makes a big difference. I have also heard good things about boswellia and turmeric so I started taking them today. We'll see.

I'm ready to get back to the gym and start my new routine Monday!

I'm also going to try and take picts this weekend.

musclegoddess65
11-05-2010, 09:33 PM
sometimes I hate when your all comfy and relaxed during a massage then.... they find... THAT spot the one you had NO idea hurt so bad...

freebirdmac
11-08-2010, 04:38 PM
sometimes I hate when your all comfy and relaxed during a massage then.... they find... THAT spot the one you had NO idea hurt so bad...

Heh, comfy and relaxed... I don't think I'm ever in that state. Too many sore spots :p

freebirdmac
11-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Week off is over!!!

Quads and shoulders (sans rear delts)

Talked with my trainer about doing higher reps for legs. He wants me to do 15, 10, 8, and 4 rep scheme. Okay, I'll give it a whirl.

Trained at the small gym with their Hoist selectorized machines so I won't list weights.

Unilateral leg extensions
15, 10, 8, 6/4 (left leg kept up with the right until the last set. got 6 on the right leg and struggled for 4 on the left)

Walking db lunges
25# (each hand) x 30, 15, 20 (steps)
(legs actually gave out before lungs)

Unilateral leg press
15, 10, 8, 6

Smith squats
(playyed with weights but all I felt was my lower back. I do not want a sore back from working quads! I want deads and good mornings back in my routine. So I need to do legs at the big gym and use the hack squat machine.

Smith shoulder press
40x10
50x8
60x6
70x4

Front raises ss w/side raises
17.5x10x3 ss w/15x10x3

Reverse grip Smith presses
bar x 10
10x6x3
(damn I have weak thumbs! Going to try versa grips next time, see if that helps)

freebirdmac
11-08-2010, 05:04 PM
I also think next week I'll do traps on Mon rather than with back. Maybe then do abs with back.

Hammerfit
11-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Week off is over!!!

Talked with my trainer about doing higher reps for legs. He wants me to do 15, 10, 8, and 4 rep scheme. Okay, I'll give it a whirl.

Trained at the small gym with their Hoist selectorized machines so I won't list weights.

15, 10, 8, 6/4 (left leg kept up with the right until the last set. got 6 on the right leg and struggled for 4 on the left)

Walking db lunges

Unilateral leg press
15, 10, 8, 6

Smith squats
(playyed with weights but all I felt was my lower back. I do not want a sore back from working quads! I want deads and good mornings back in my routine. So I need to do legs at the big gym and use the hack squat machine.

Smith shoulder press
40x10
50x8
60x6
70x4

17.5x10x3 ss w/15x10x3

bar x 10
10x6x3
(damn I have weak thumbs! Going to try versa grips next time, see if that helps)

Love your routine and hard work, however the members here care about the other members so Im going to say whats on my mind without fear of consequence: your newest trainer is giving you some strange advice.

freebirdmac
11-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Love your routine and hard work, however the members here care about the other members so Im going to say whats on my mind without fear of consequence: your newest trainer is giving you some strange advice.

This is the same trainer that I've had for awhile. I think he, like many others, understand the various rep schemes but have it ingrained that lower reps = growth and higher reps are for deloads or for cutting up. His thinking is to work all of the rep schemes in the same workout rather than focus on one at a time.

I know there's more than one way to skin a cat. I've done a lot of work in the 8-12 rep range and have gone through a few 5x5 cycles. But I have never done a 15 rep cycle outside of a deload week. I have no idea what a 15 rep cycle would do for me. I do know that I saw more growth out of the strength/hypertrophy cycle I just finished over anything I have done before. But my body needed a break from it. I'm going to restart it after the holidays.

Sometimes this sport is like being confronted with a buffet. There's so many things you want to try but you can't fit them all on your plate in one pass.

Hammerfit
11-09-2010, 09:47 AM
This is the same trainer that I've had for awhile. I think he, like many others, understand the various rep schemes but have it ingrained that lower reps = growth and higher reps are for deloads or for cutting up. His thinking is to work all of the rep schemes in the same workout rather than focus on one at a time.

I know there's more than one way to skin a cat. I've done a lot of work in the 8-12 rep range and have gone through a few 5x5 cycles. But I have never done a 15 rep cycle outside of a deload week. I have no idea what a 15 rep cycle would do for me. I do know that I saw more growth out of the strength/hypertrophy cycle I just finished over anything I have done before. But my body needed a break from it. I'm going to restart it after the holidays.

Sometimes this sport is like being confronted with a buffet. There's so many things you want to try but you can't fit them all on your plate in one pass.

sorry I was referring to 4 rep sets for legs, I dont see the point unless you are trying trying to increase strength, I hope I didnt offend you I am only trying to help

I get on to my clients for listening to outside information and now Im doing it myself, I will shut up.

freebirdmac
11-09-2010, 09:50 AM
sorry I was referring to 4 rep sets for legs, I dont see the point unless you are trying trying to increase strength, I hope I didnt offend you I am only trying to help

I get on to my clients for listening to outside information and now Im doing it myself, I will shut up.

Lol! No worries! I appreciate the input. :)

mastersfreak
11-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Week off is over!!!

Walking db lunges

Unilateral leg press
15, 10, 8, 6

Smith squats

Smith shoulder press
40x10
50x8
60x6
70x4

17.5x10x3 ss w/15x10x3

bar x 10
10x6x3

Outstanding work, and really enjoy your determination...

freebirdmac
11-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Outstanding work, and really enjoy your determination...

Thanks Freak!

freebirdmac
11-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Back/traps/abs

Pullups
Wide grip bw x6x4
Neutral grip bw x6
(pullups felt better than in previous weeks, just couldn't do many)

Close grip pulldowns
10, 8, 6, 6

Machine 1-arm rows
90x10x2
110x8x2

Incline db rows
30# x 10x3
10# x 20

Db shrugs
45# x 15x3

Cable upright rows
10x3

Assorted ab exercises.

Dang, weights were off a bit on back. Week off? Doing shoulders last night? Who knows.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-09-2010, 05:15 PM
How many girlies can do a pull up in No. America....out of 200 million females maybe 10,000??

Good work :yep:

Baldie

freebirdmac
11-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Ugh. Woke up yesterday and today feeling like total crud. Some kind of cold bug. Bleck! Yesterday was a rest day. Today chest, rear delts, and tri. Couldn't skip tonight since I took last week off. I did what I could.

Hoist press
90x12
100x10
110x8,2

Incline db press
25x12
30x10

Incline db flyes
20x10x2

Pullovers
40x10x2

Cable across body
10x3

Incline rev flyes, db
10x15x3

V-bar press

Db extensions
35x8x3

Db skull crushers
15x10,8,10

Bench dips to failure x3

partsRheavy
11-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Sorry to hear you seem to have caught a bug. Do you do anything for it i.e. extra vit C, tea/honey, etc.? Also, I read somewhere that low vit D levels are correlated with susceptibility to respiratory crud.

I don't w/o when I'm sick. When I'm sick I totally don't feel like it, and also it's not fair to give a cold to the bros and sistas in the gym. I thank my lucky stars that most of my colds have come from places OTHER than the gym!

freebirdmac
11-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Sorry to hear you seem to have caught a bug. Do you do anything for it i.e. extra vit C, tea/honey, etc.? Also, I read somewhere that low vit D levels are correlated with susceptibility to respiratory crud.

I don't w/o when I'm sick. When I'm sick I totally don't feel like it, and also it's not fair to give a cold to the bros and sistas in the gym. I thank my lucky stars that most of my colds have come from places OTHER than the gym!

Vit D tested at 78 a couple of weeks ago so I'm good there. No extra C as vitamins are loaded with corn derivatives. Honey is dicey from flowers/bees being near corn fields. I will drink homemade ginger tea.

It's worse during the morning hours. This morning is a bit better than yesterday. At the gym yesterday I wasn't coughing and didn't have a runny nose. I just felt lousy.

mastersfreak
11-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Ugh. Woke up yesterday and today feeling like total crud. Some kind of cold bug. Bleck! Yesterday was a rest day. Today chest, rear delts, and tri. Couldn't skip tonight since I took last week off. I did what I could.

Hoist press
90x12
100x10
110x8,2

Incline db press
25x12
30x10

Incline db flyes
20x10x2

Pullovers
40x10x2

Cable across body
10x3

Incline rev flyes, db
10x15x3

V-bar press

Db extensions
35x8x3

Db skull crushers
15x10,8,10

Bench dips to failure x3

Outstanding workout, you would never know you weren't a 100%..

freebirdmac
11-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Outstanding workout, you would never know you weren't a 100%..

Yeah you would. I'm not normally that wimpy :p

freebirdmac
11-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Felt better today. Not quite 100%, but much improved.

Hams/calves/bi

Good mornings
bar x 10
65x10
85x8x2
(haven't done these in 6+ months. going to alternate between gm's and rdl's. took it easy and didn't push since it's been so long)

Lying ham curls
(bilateral positive, unilateral negative)
55x10
55x5
35x5x2
(holy heck do these wear out the hams fast! I got the idea here http://stacktv.stack.com/video.aspx?videoID=1172099117_111)

Glute ham raises
bw x 5 x 4
(still suck at these)

Superset calves/adductors/abductors

Seated calves (plate loaded)
110x10x3

Abductor/adductor
120x10x3/60x10x3

Seated calves (selectorized pedals)
200x20x3

Incline curls
15x10
20x10x3

Lying wide cable curls

Rope hammer curls

Concentration curls
20x10x2
25x8

Nice to see my biceps pumped up again :)

freebirdmac
11-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Oh! I almost forgot... while I was doing good mornings there were these two guys doing leg press. And one was really making some noise, the other just normal grunts. I counted the plates at 5 each side. Now the quieter guy was big. As in tall, not skinny, and obviously works out some. I looked to see if there were plates on top... nope. Were they doing unilateral? Nope. Their last set was 6 plates. I didn't count reps but it was in the 8-10 rep range. I kind of snickered. Good thing I wasn't doing heavy leg press :p

After leg press they did kneeling ham curls. With 40 pounds.

I am sooo bad :D

freebirdmac
11-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Yowza my hammies are sore. I can't remember the last time they were this sore. Guess that curl exercise is a keeper :)

partsRheavy
11-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Congrats on beating those big ol' guys in the leg press dept!!!! Amazing!!

And, glad you're feeling better too!

tifflex
11-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Oh! I almost forgot... while I was doing good mornings there were these two guys doing leg press. And one was really making some noise, the other just normal grunts. I counted the plates at 5 each side. Now the quieter guy was big. As in tall, not skinny, and obviously works out some. I looked to see if there were plates on top... nope. Were they doing unilateral? Nope. Their last set was 6 plates. I didn't count reps but it was in the 8-10 rep range. I kind of snickered. Good thing I wasn't doing heavy leg press :p

Funny story!

How are the hammies?

Baldiewonkanobi
11-14-2010, 07:24 AM

You have become an ANIMAL in that gym. All good.

Baldie

freebirdmac
11-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Congrats on beating those big ol' guys in the leg press dept!!!! Amazing!!

And, glad you're feeling better too!

If they keep working legs they should pass me in no time. But I know they would have been embarrassed if I had done a heavy leg press workout beside them.

Funny story!

How are the hammies?

Hammies are still sore! :)

You have become an ANIMAL in that gym. All good.

Baldie

Yeah, a real animal. Lol! It's more of a sad state with so many guys neglecting their legs.

partsRheavy
11-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Back in our day as old fogies many of us walked or biked to school. In the past 15 or 20 years, they built a lot of centralized schools and they bus the kids in. Or, moms drive the kids to school when they used to tell them to walk themselves.

I occasionally see a young guy in a gym really struggling in the leg dept. I think what's happening is that they didn't play sports in school AND never walked or biked to school when young. Saw it a few times back in NC.

I haven't been in TX long enough to really see this here yet. Seems most ppl train a little more effectively here and I think more participate in sports in HS.

There's also a movement to get the kids walking to school here.

It takes a long time to get strength in legs. My opinion is that it's the responsibility of mom & dad to get the kids active so they can have a fair start in life and not have "pencilneck legs" (or be obese).

freebirdmac
11-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Back in our day as old fogies many of us walked or biked to school. In the past 15 or 20 years, they built a lot of centralized schools and they bus the kids in. Or, moms drive the kids to school when they used to tell them to walk themselves.

I occasionally see a young guy in a gym really struggling in the leg dept. I think what's happening is that they didn't play sports in school AND never walked or biked to school when young. Saw it a few times back in NC.

I haven't been in TX long enough to really see this here yet. Seems most ppl train a little more effectively here and I think more participate in sports in HS.

There's also a movement to get the kids walking to school here.

It takes a long time to get strength in legs. My opinion is that it's the responsibility of mom & dad to get the kids active so they can have a fair start in life and not have "pencilneck legs" (or be obese).

These weren't young guys. The big dude is older than me. The other guy is probably in his 30's. Anyone who has a gym membership has no excuse for not working their legs. Outside of medical issues. What I hear is that many just hate working legs. Too much pain :rolleyes:

It does suck about kids not walking or biking as much. As a mom it just wasn't going to happen for my kid. Neighborhoods aren't what they used to be. Heck, I stopped letting her ride the bus due to the way a lot of kids acted.

axioma
11-15-2010, 10:08 AM
The black bean muffins are crazy good! I am compiling a freebird's muscliscious recipe list....AWESOME!

Hammerfit
11-15-2010, 10:11 AM

That is great! We have 2 leg presses that are side by side. We had similar situation (without the grunting) guy next to Lisa was really struggling w 4 pl for 10 or 12 or so and Lisa was on the other press reppin out 5 pl for like 30 or 40 or so. He said to her, "you're husband is mean to make you train like that" she looks down at her quad, which has much more definition than his and says "really"?

freebirdmac
11-15-2010, 10:13 AM
The black bean muffins are crazy good! I am compiling a freebird's muscliscious recipe list....AWESOME!

Glad you liked them! Who'd have thought black beans would make a good chocolate cupcake?

axioma
11-15-2010, 12:04 PM
They are better than the best chocolate cake...period. Of course, I used a bit more cocoa and used fresh ground coffee instead of instant...I was wired.

freebirdmac
11-15-2010, 01:01 PM
That is great! We have 2 leg presses that are side by side. We had similar situation (without the grunting) guy next to Lisa was really struggling w 4 pl for 10 or 12 or so and Lisa was on the other press reppin out 5 pl for like 30 or 40 or so. He said to her, "you're husband is mean to make you train like that" she looks down at her quad, which has much more definition than his and says "really"?

Lol! Meanie!

5 plates for 30 or 40??? I might be able to survive 15 but then I'd have to crawl away :eek:

They are better than the best chocolate cake...period. Of course, I used a bit more cocoa and used fresh ground coffee instead of instant...I was wired.

Ha! I know of someone else who loaded them up for a pre-workout energy boost. Makes me wish I hadn't given up the caffeine decades ago. Other than what is in chocolate or decaf coffee.

mastersfreak
11-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Felt better today. Not quite 100%, but much improved.

Hams/calves/bi

Good mornings
bar x 10
65x10
85x8x2
(haven't done these in 6+ months. going to alternate between gm's and rdl's. took it easy and didn't push since it's been so long)

Lying ham curls
(bilateral positive, unilateral negative)
55x10
55x5
35x5x2
(holy heck do these wear out the hams fast! I got the idea here http://stacktv.stack.com/video.aspx?videoID=1172099117_111)

Glute ham raises
bw x 5 x 4
(still suck at these)

110x10x3

Abductor/adductor
120x10x3/60x10x3

Seated calves (selectorized pedals)
200x20x3

Incline curls
15x10
20x10x3

Lying wide cable curls

Rope hammer curls

Concentration curls
20x10x2
25x8

Nice to see my biceps pumped up again :)

speaking of a "pumped bicep" yours is SOLID!!

Awesome gunz you're sporting.. :yep: I have bicep envy...

freebirdmac
11-15-2010, 05:44 PM
speaking of a "pumped bicep" yours is SOLID!!

Awesome gunz you're sporting.. :yep: I have bicep envy...

Thanks! They're growing :)

freebirdmac
11-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Did legs at the big gym so I could do hack squats.

Unilateral extensions
50x15
55x10
60x8
65x8/6 (left leg lags)

Walking lunges
25# x 27, 20, 20 (steps)

Unilateral leg press
(ok, this was embarrassing. I couldn't lift shit. Tried all kinds of foot placement for comfort, staying out of adductors...)
25# on one effin side! x 10
(my trainer was working chest, walked over chuckling, "Need a spot?" :emb: Guess that'll teach me to snicker at those guys and 5 plates. I am humbled and don't really know wtf was up with this)

Hack squat to parallel
90x15
140x10
160x8
180x6

Quads were fried. Hams still a bit sore.

Db upright rows
20x15
25x10
30x8

Hoist press
90x12
100x10
110x5
(I had nada so followed with low weight high rep db)

Db press
15#x15x2

Db front raises
20# x 10 x3

Db leaning lateral
17.5x10x3

Cable upright rows
10x3

Db shrugs
45x10x3

Good workout with definite weird and weak moments.

freebirdmac
11-15-2010, 07:40 PM
My quads are hurting! I can definitely tell I hit them differently :)

Hammerfit
11-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Did legs at the big gym so I could do hack squats.

Unilateral extensions
50x15
55x10
60x8
65x8/6 (left leg lags)

Walking lunges
25# x 27, 20, 20 (steps)

Unilateral leg press
(ok, this was embarrassing. I couldn't lift shit. Tried all kinds of foot placement for comfort, staying out of adductors...)
25# on one effin side! x 10
(my trainer was working chest, walked over chuckling, "Need a spot?" :emb: Guess that'll teach me to snicker at those guys and 5 plates. I am humbled and don't really know wtf was up with this)

Hack squat to parallel
90x15
140x10
160x8
180x6

Quads were fried. Hams still a bit sore.

Db upright rows
20x15
25x10
30x8

Hoist press
90x12
100x10
110x5
(I had nada so followed with low weight high rep db)

Db press
15#x15x2

Db front raises
20# x 10 x3

Db leaning lateral
17.5x10x3

Cable upright rows
10x3

Db shrugs
45x10x3

Good workout with definite weird and weak moments.

Everyone gets humbled on the uni presses! Keep doing them for a few weeks and see how much stronger your bilaterals will get. Lisa absolutely hates me when I make her do them!

freebirdmac
11-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Everyone gets humbled on the uni presses! Keep doing them for a few weeks and see how much stronger your bilaterals will get. Lisa absolutely hates me when I make her do them!

I wasn't expecting to be *that* humbled! Oh and it was 3x10. Forgot to note that.

I can't wait to see how the quads feel tomorrow. They're aching and burning pretty good right now. Grow dammit!!!

joedemarco
11-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Great job! Nice workout.

freebirdmac
11-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Back and abs

Pullups
bw x 36
(I'm 7 pounds heavier than prior to Sept. Think that extra weight is making these harder? I've got to put more into them)

Wide grip pulldowns
12, 10, 8, 6

Standing wide grip pulldowns
lost count of reps and sets. Had trouble getting this right so the weight wasn't pulling me.

Seated cable rows, wide grip
15, 15, 10, 12
(finding weight)

Straight arm pulldowns
12x4

Various ab exercises

freebirdmac
11-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Blah. Started feeling yucky late yesterday. Felt crummy enough this afternoon that I came home and put my pj's on. Unlike last week when I worked through a cold, I knew I couldn't do it today. I hate this time of year with everyone walking around with some kind of crud.

Hammerfit
11-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Back and abs

Pullups
bw x 36
(I'm 7 pounds heavier than prior to Sept. Think that extra weight is making these harder? I've got to put more into them)

Wide grip pulldowns
12, 10, 8, 6

Standing wide grip pulldowns
lost count of reps and sets. Had trouble getting this right so the weight wasn't pulling me.

Seated cable rows, wide grip
15, 15, 10, 12
(finding weight)

Straight arm pulldowns
12x4

Various ab exercises

(I'm 7 pounds heavier than prior to Sept. Think that extra weight is making these harder? I've got to put more into them) for sure! The heavier you get the harder they get. At 230 they are darn right intimidating now!

freebirdmac
11-20-2010, 08:36 AM
So no workout yesterday. I hate this cold crap!!!!!

I've also been having issues with fatigue, achy hands and feet (slight swelling, mostly am), and not feeling recovery as fast as I should. Took a week off a couple of weeks ago but still carried more soreness than I thought I should. Overall just not feeling like myself. This morning when I woke up to stiff hands, ring was tight, initial walking was stiff, I started wondering wtf is going on? Some dreaded disease?

I think it's diet related. I've added some gluten free baked items and soy milk to my diet to get my cals up. While I didn't react to the new ingredients with a typical corn/sulfite reaction, I think cumulatively my body is reacting. To what exactly I don't know. Too many new ingredients. So I'm going back to my normal, time proven foods. I hope I can keep my magic muffins or at least the black bean cupcakes. Getting enough cals on my safe diet is really, really hard.

Diet may not be responsible for everything but something ain't right.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Hey QT. Some kind of dreaded disease? Could it be welcome to aging? Geeez...you outta wake up in my body some morning. I truly believe that it were not for Hyaluronic Acid, co-enzyme CQ 10 and Resveratrol that I would have succomed to arthritis years ago.

Baldie

freebirdmac
11-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Hey QT. Some kind of dreaded disease? Could it be welcome to aging? Geeez...you outta wake up in my body some morning. I truly believe that it were not for Hyaluronic Acid, co-enzyme CQ 10 and Resveratrol that I would have succomed to arthritis years ago.

Baldie

Ha! I knew someone would play the age card! :p

Yeah, I considered that. May very well be part of it especially since I'm now on the other side of menopause. But as you well know with your gout, diet can make things worse. I can hope it's diet! Right?

freebirdmac
11-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Unilateral extensions
50x15
55x10
60x8
65x8/6 (left leg lags)
(left knee had complained a bit just twice late last week. Felt it on these. Took the first two reps on each set slow to make sure it was ready. Felt ok after that. Right leg is ready to go up in weight. Hopefully next week the left knee will behave. Never had knee problems)

Walking lunges
25# x 28 (steps) x 3

Unilateral leg press
25x15
50x10
90x8
140x6
(did much better this week!)

Hack squat to parallel
90x15
140x10
160x8
180x6
(after leg press gong better these were tough)

Shoulders/traps

Smith press PWO
50x10
60x6x2
30x10
(I had nada. Again :( )

Db front raises
20# x 10 x3

Db leaning lateral
17.5x10x3

Db shrugs
45x10x3

Cable upright rows
10x3 (upped weight)

freebirdmac
11-22-2010, 06:19 PM
At Joe's suggestion to use a forearm band I bought a pair of these
Amazon.com: BandIT Therapeutic Forearm Band: Sports & Outdoors

Wore them all day today and while working out. During the day I didn't have any episodes of my hands aching. When I left the gym my hands weren't as sore. Neither were my forearms. I do feel a bit of pain just above the elbow when I bend my arms but not as bad in the past. I hope these things help what appears to be tennis elbow. We'll see.

My trainer joked that I looked like Wonder Woman. I told him I'd use the things to deflect any smart ass comments back on him :p He tried them on and they're really not sized for his arms. Which are pretty damn big.

Over the weekend I also cut out the newer foods I had been eating to boost my cals. I do feel better! So there's enough bad stuff in these foods to gradually accumulate and cause problems. I'm so used to a pronounced reaction anywhere from 15 minutes to 12 hours later that I didn't pick up on this sooner. No doubt there's corn hidden in what I was eating. Maybe I can eat the stuff once in awhile. Figuring out which ingredients are to blame is almost impossible. I hate the corn industry!!!!

joedemarco
11-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Hope the bands help. Like I mentioned, some people have great results with them, others don't. Sounds like you had some success with them today. That's great!

I see you mentioned something in your post about a trainer. I thought you were going to go without a trainer? Did you hire a new one?

freebirdmac
11-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Hope the bands help. Like I mentioned, some people have great results with them, others don't. Sounds like you had some success with them today. That's great!

I see you mentioned something in your post about a trainer. I thought you were going to go without a trainer? Did you hire a new one?

I hope I get good results too!

This is the same trainer. I fired him, he asked if we could talk, we did, and things have been better. Two big egos :) Unless he mucks up again we'll probably continue until I lean out.

partsRheavy
11-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Interesting about the BandIt. Apparently it is magnetic?

Mac
11-22-2010, 09:49 PM
At Joe's suggestion to use a forearm band I bought a pair of these

I made something very similar from left over gym bags straps with velcro. Wore them as often as possible and it cured my forearm pain.

I couldn't pour milk because it hurt so bad but with these on, no problem. The compression keeps the ligaments and muscles in your forearms from popping and binding against each other.

freebirdmac
11-23-2010, 05:37 AM
Interesting about the BandIt. Apparently it is magnetic?

There are two versions, one magnetic, one without magnets. I bought the one without magnets. I don't see the value of magnets plus you'd have to keep the magnetic ones away from computers, cell phones, credit cards, etc. Pretty much impossible for me :)

I made something very similar from left over gym bags straps with velcro. Wore them as often as possible and it cured my forearm pain.

I couldn't pour milk because it hurt so bad but with these on, no problem. The compression keeps the ligaments and muscles in your forearms from popping and binding against each other.

Good to hear! I didn't want my early response to be psychological.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-23-2010, 08:13 AM
I'd sware I carry a paramedics bag with me into the gym. If you ever train with me and I have my bag along I can wrap you up like a mummy. ;)

Baldie

freebirdmac
11-23-2010, 05:21 PM
I'd sware I carry a paramedics bag with me into the gym. If you ever train with me and I have my bag along I can wrap you up like a mummy. ;)

Baldie

No doubt! :)

freebirdmac
11-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Wide grip pull ups ss w/wide grip pulldowns
8,6,3 ss w/ 15 rep weight repped out to failure
Neutral grip pull ups ss w/close grip pull downs
6,6 ss w/ 15 rep weight repped out to failure
(Now that was fun :eek: )

Seated (floor) close grip rows
10, 10, 8, 8

Reverse pull downs
10, 8, 6, 4

Assorted abs.

Back strength seems weaker but damn are my tops and bra bands getting obnoxiously tight :cool:

freebirdmac
11-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Btw, pull ups always aggravate my elbows/forearms. I felt my left one a bit tonight when doing them. Not as bad as last week. After the gym through now, nothing. No elbow pain, no hand pain... nothing! Thanks Joe! :D

joedemarco
11-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Btw, pull ups always aggravate my elbows/forearms. I felt my left one a bit tonight when doing them. Not as bad as last week. After the gym through now, nothing. No elbow pain, no hand pain... nothing! Thanks Joe! :D

You're welcome! ....and the bill is in the mail. I do accept payment through Paypal. haha

freebirdmac
11-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Hoist chest machine
50x15
90x10
110x8
120x3
115x4

Decline Smith
50x10
60x8x2
70x9
90x5

Incline Db flyes
20x10x3
(shoulder pain kept me from going heavier)

Pullovers
40x10
45x6,4

Close grip Smith
10x15
30x6x3
(sharp pain in neck limited me. do I sound whiny?)

v-bar pressdowns
8x3

Db skull crushers
15x8x3

Reverse flyes
10x15x3

Ick. I needed today to be my regular rest day but I didn't want to work out tomorrow. Shoulders and neck made it tough at times. Tri's pooped out fast tonight too.

freebirdmac
11-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Hams/calves/bi

Good mornings
bar x 10
65x10
85x10,8
(need to get a bit lower before upping weight)

Lying ham curls
5 reps bilateral (positive & negative) plus 5 more reps bilateral positive/unilateral negative (alternating leg) x 3

Glute ham raises
5x3 (I suck!)

Superset; seated calves/abductor/adductor/selectorized seated calves x 3

Lying wide cable curls
3x10

Standing db preacher curls
25 x 10 x 3

Dropset concentration curls
20x10 immediately followed by 15x15, immediately followed by 10x20
2 sets
(left arm did fine. right arm gave up the ghost on the second set of 25#)

freebirdmac
11-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Oct 4; Nov 29

height 5'4"
weight: 109 ;113
Upper Arms: 11 1/4 ; 11 7/8
Waist: 24 1/4 ; 24 1/2
Mid Thigh: 29 ; 29 1/2
Chest: 31 1/2 ; 31 7/8
Calf: 11 7/8 ; 12 1/8

I be happy :D

I normally don't use morning weight as I did above as it's very fleeting. Instead I use gym weight which is consistently 5 pounds heavier.

Hammerfit
11-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Unilateral extensions
50x15
55x10
60x8
65x8/6 (left leg lags)
(left knee had complained a bit just twice late last week. Felt it on these. Took the first two reps on each set slow to make sure it was ready. Felt ok after that. Right leg is ready to go up in weight. Hopefully next week the left knee will behave. Never had knee problems)

Walking lunges
25# x 28 (steps) x 3

Unilateral leg press
25x15
50x10
90x8
140x6
(did much better this week!)

Hack squat to parallel
90x15
140x10
160x8
180x6
(after leg press gong better these were tough)

Shoulders/traps

Smith press PWO
50x10
60x6x2
30x10
(I had nada. Again :( )

Db front raises
20# x 10 x3

Db leaning lateral
17.5x10x3

Db shrugs
45x10x3

Cable upright rows
10x3 (upped weight)

Very nice leg routine

freebirdmac
11-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Grrrr. Copy/pasted from my original post with the wrong thigh measurement. It's 19 and 19.5" inches :emb:

Hammerfit
11-29-2010, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE=freebirdmac;1252599]Grrrr. Copy/pasted from my original post with the wrong thigh measurement. It's 19 and 19.5" inches :emb:[/QUOTE
:yourock:

freebirdmac
11-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Unilateral extensions
55x15
60x10
65x8
70x8/6 (left leg lags)
(left knee was fine, went up 5#. Will do the same next week)

Walking lunges
25# x 30, 24, 28 (steps)

Unilateral leg press
50x15
90x10
140x8
160x6
(Left leg was scary on the last set. It'd be easier if this weren't a 45 degree machine)

Hack squat to parallel
90x15
140x10
160x8
180x6

Shoulders/traps

Db upright rows
20x15
25x10
30x8

Smith press PWO
50x10
60x8
70x6
(not pretty but better)

Db front raises
20# x 10 x3

super setted with

Db leaning lateral
15x10x3

(will go up to 25 next week. Misread leaning laterals and used 15 instead of 17.5)

Cable upright rows
10x3 (up weight next week)

Db shrugs
45x10x3
20x30
40x15
40x10 then a couple of holds at the top
(trainer decided to wear my traps out)

I am freaking beat!!!!!

Mac
11-29-2010, 06:46 PM
I am freaking beat!!!!!

I wonder why. Nice workout.

joedemarco
11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Unilateral extensions
55x15
60x10
65x8
70x8/6 (left leg lags)
(left knee was fine, went up 5#. Will do the same next week)

Walking lunges
25# x 30, 24, 28 (steps)

Unilateral leg press
50x15
90x10
140x8
160x6
(Left leg was scary on the last set. It'd be easier if this weren't a 45 degree machine)

Hack squat to parallel
90x15
140x10
160x8
180x6

Shoulders/traps

Db upright rows
20x15
25x10
30x8

Smith press PWO
50x10
60x8
70x6
(not pretty but better)

Db front raises
20# x 10 x3

super setted with

Db leaning lateral
15x10x3

(will go up to 25 next week. Misread leaning laterals and used 15 instead of 17.5)

Cable upright rows
10x3 (up weight next week)

Db shrugs
45x10x3
20x30
40x15
40x10 then a couple of holds at the top
(trainer decided to wear my traps out)

I am freaking beat!!!!!

Wow! Awesome work!

tifflex
11-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Wow! Awesome work!
I concur; good work Pam!

freebirdmac
11-29-2010, 08:41 PM
I concur; good work Pam!

Hi Tiff!!!!!!!!!! Missed ya girl!

partsRheavy
11-29-2010, 09:43 PM
How long were you in the gym??!! Three hours???

freebirdmac
11-30-2010, 05:46 AM
How long were you in the gym??!! Three hours???

Nah. It takes about 90 minutes.

freebirdmac
11-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Wide grip pullups ss w/wide grip pulldowns
5,5,2 / 10, 8, 8

Neutral grip pull ups ss w/close grip pulldowns
5x3 / 10, 8, 8

Seated (floor) wide grip cable rows
10x4

Incline db bent over rows
30x10
35x10
40x10
45x10
(obviously need to start higher next time)

Hanging straight leg raises (ab straps)
10x4

Hanging bent knee leg raises (ab straps)
12x1

Incline hip thrusts
15x2

Flat hip thrusts
20x2

V- crunches with medicine ball
10x3

ss w/ leg stretches

Hammerfit
11-30-2010, 06:26 PM
5,5,2 / 10, 8, 8

5x3 / 10, 8, 8

10x4

30x10
35x10
40x10
45x10

10x4

12x1

Incline hip thrusts
15x2

Flat hip thrusts
20x2

10x3

ss w/ leg stretches

good job girl!

joedemarco
11-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Great workout!

KevinCouch
11-30-2010, 09:15 PM
5,5,2 / 10, 8, 8

5x3 / 10, 8, 8

10x4

30x10
35x10
40x10
45x10

10x4

12x1

Incline hip thrusts
15x2

Flat hip thrusts
20x2

10x3

ss w/ leg stretches

Great Work My Lady!
Kevin

freebirdmac
12-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Hoist chest machine
90x12
110x10
120x8
130x2

Decline Smith
50x12
60x10
70x5,5

Incline Db flyes
20x10
25x8x2
(same shoulder pain kept me from going heavier)

Pullovers
35x10
40x10
45x8
50x3
(wasn't getting full rom with the 50's)

Close grip Smith
10x10
20x10
30x8x2
(uncomfortable like last week)

v-bar pressdowns

Extensions
35x8x3

Db skull crushers
15x10x3

A bit better than last week. Totally forgot to do reverse flyes!! Dumb!

freebirdmac
12-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Compressed workout. Had to get it done in 1 hour so I could run home, grab some food, go get a massage and then pick my daughter up from work. Didn't mean to skip good mornings, but I did.

Superset seated calves and abductor/adductor

110x10, 120x10,130x8x2 (calves)
60x10, 65x10, 70x10 x 2 (adductor, staying easy on groin still)
120x10, 125x10, 130x10x2 (abductor)

Lying curls
5 reps bilateral, 5 reps unilateral negative
40x10, 45x10, 50x10
(last week unilateral fell like a rock at 40. Got 10# more this week)

Glute ham raises
5x4
(these were even better this week)

Lying wide curls
90x10
95x10
100x6x2
(forgot my forearm straps!!! what a day to forget them)

Db preacher curls
25x10x3
(better than last week)

Concentration curls
Supserset 25x10/15x15/10x20 for 2 sets

I have *got* to clean up my notebook. It is so cluttered with various exercises that I missed out on rear delts and good mornings this week. Some weeks I'm not starting with the right weight. That is my task this weekend.

Massage was great. Kat had her work cut out for her. She spent most of the hour on my neck and traps. They were not cooperating and loosening up. She barely got to my back. She did spend a little time on my forearms. Next time
I may have to book 1.5 hours.

KevinCouch
12-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Massage was great. Kat had her work cut out for her. She spent most of the hour on my neck and traps. They were not cooperating and loosening up. She barely got to my back. She did spend a little time on my forearms. Next time
I may have to book 1.5 hours.

An hour really isn't enough time. I go about once per month for a two hour deep tissue session and she still doesn't finish. Probably need to go two-hour sessions twice per month but $$$ too expensive....
Kevin

freebirdmac
12-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Ok, took some progress picts. Didn't take any in Sept when I upped cals so I had to go back to June's picts. Other than softening I'm not seeing much for my 7 pounds. Measurements made progress seem better than these photos :p

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/back_10_comp.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/front_10.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/Legs_comp_10.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/arm_comp_10.jpg

tifflex
12-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Good job Pam!

You've added more width to the lats and arms are bigger.

Beautiful smile by the way; keep up the good work.

partsRheavy
12-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Looking good! Very lean!

joedemarco
12-05-2010, 03:41 PM
I think your progress looks good for that short period of time. I notice an overall increase in thickness in both the upper and lower body. I realize that nothing "jumps out" at you when you look at the comparison photos, but that's a good thing. You didn't just add size in one area. Your gains are through out your entire physique. Great job and keep it up!!!

Hammerfit
12-05-2010, 04:27 PM
I think your progress looks good for that short period of time. I notice an overall increase in thickness in both the upper and lower body. I realize that nothing "jumps out" at you when you look at the comparison photos, but that's a good thing. You didn't just add size in one area. Your gains are through out your entire physique. Great job and keep it up!!!

Yep, what he said:yep:

freebirdmac
12-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys! Maybe I'll see more after the next 7 pounds :)

Cleaned up my logbook by starting a new one. Tonight I'm going to rework my magic muffin recipe to hopefully make it safer. Don't want that fatigue reaction building again. But I need cals! I can't eat enough of my proven safe foods to get up to where I want to be.

I've got to stop catching these colds too. I think all of the interior security doors with keypads we had to install at work are responsible. It's not realistic to wash or use Purell every time I go through these doors. I think I will carry a pen with me and use it to punch in my pin. That'll cut down on one source.

freebirdmac
12-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Unilateral extensions
55x15
60x10
65x8
70x8/6 (left leg lags)
(didn't go up as planned. left leg wasn't very energetic)

Bb reverse lunges
bar x 10 (each leg) x 4
(reps are completed on one leg before repeating with the other. Always returning to feet together. Switched to these to give my forearms/elbow a break)

Unilateral leg press
50x15
90x10
140x8
160x6
(I feel my adductor when doing left leg. I've checked body position to make sure I'm not torqued. I think it's just a weak area)

Hack squat to parallel
90x15
140x10
160x8
180x6
(going to try and goose these up.)

Shoulders/traps

Db upright rows
20x15
25x10
30x8

Hoist
90x12
110x6
100x6
(I suck at presses!)

Db front raises
25# x 10 x3
(up 5#)

Db leaning lateral
20x10x2
(upped weight but could only do 2 sets)

Cable upright rows
10x3 (upped weight each set. last two sets were higher than last week)

Db shrugs
45x10x3

Meh, mixed results. Sure don't know why shoulder and chest presses stink.

Hammerfit
12-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Unilateral extensions
55x15
60x10
65x8
70x8/6 (left leg lags)
(didn't go up as planned. left leg wasn't very energetic)

Bb reverse lunges
bar x 10 (each leg) x 4
(reps are completed on one leg before repeating with the other. Always returning to feet together. Switched to these to give my forearms/elbow a break)

Unilateral leg press
50x15
90x10
140x8
160x6
(I feel my adductor when doing left leg. I've checked body position to make sure I'm not torqued. I think it's just a weak area)

Hack squat to parallel
90x15
140x10
160x8
180x6
(going to try and goose these up.)

Shoulders/traps

Db upright rows
20x15
25x10
30x8

Hoist
90x12
110x6
100x6
(I suck at presses!)

Db front raises
25# x 10 x3
(up 5#)

Db leaning lateral
20x10x2
(upped weight but could only do 2 sets)

Cable upright rows
10x3 (upped weight each set. last two sets were higher than last week)

Db shrugs
45x10x3

Meh, mixed results. Sure don't know why shoulder and chest presses stink.

Try lowering your feet on the platform, for quads: 8-10" apart and feet pointed straight up, hams wide as possible and as high as possible, feet angled outward also helps to lower weight and get more reps on leg press try as heavy as possible for 15-20 reps next time to see the difference warning: "it's gonna hurt", but as I always tell Lisa we are not in the bodybuilding work until the pain begins, it's what you do after that, thats tears down tissue If you like the feel of the weight, do heavy as possible for 6-8 reps bilateral then strip the weight down and do at least 15-20 reps unilateral

freebirdmac
12-06-2010, 06:39 PM

Try lowering your feet on the platform, for quads: 8-10" apart and feet pointed straight up, hams wide as possible and as high as possible, feet angled outward also helps to lower weight and get more reps on leg press try as heavy as possible for 15-20 reps next time to see the difference warning: "it's gonna hurt", but as I always tell Lisa we are not in the bodybuilding work until the pain begins, it's what you do after that, thats tears down tissue If you like the feel of the weight, do heavy as possible for 6-8 reps bilateral then strip the weight down and do at least 15-20 reps unilateral

I've felt this on my left leg since I started unilateral press. That first week I tried several different foot positions. It didn't matter.

It's a 45 degree press and I really need my feet mid plate so that I can still unlock/lock the machine. Short legs :rolleyes: I have the seat up at #3 to help. If I go to #4 rom is affected. They really need to design these machines for shorter people. I have a long torso. I think my legs belong to someone much shorter.

I actually think this a good thing. It's easy to see on extensions that my left quad is weaker. It stands to reason that everything on the left is weaker. May be a contribution to the groin pulls I've had on the right side.

Hammerfit
12-06-2010, 07:33 PM
I've felt this on my left leg since I started unilateral press. That first week I tried several different foot positions. It didn't matter.

It's a 45 degree press and I really need my feet mid plate so that I can still unlock/lock the machine. Short legs :rolleyes: I have the seat up at #3 to help. If I go to #4 rom is affected. They really need to design these machines for shorter people. I have a long torso. I think my legs belong to someone much shorter.

I actually think this a good thing. It's easy to see on extensions that my left quad is weaker. It stands to reason that everything on the left is weaker. May be a contribution to the groin pulls I've had on the right side.

yep lisa is 5'2" she has to unlock it one way and then move her feet, its abitch to be short except that u guys have those short quads that r easier to develope I have the same issue w my left knee on unis I wrap the sucker not tight but just 2 wraps under the knee and 2 wraps over the knee not covering the cap helps alot

DUKE56
12-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Ok, took some progress picts. Didn't take any in Sept when I upped cals so I had to go back to June's picts. Other than softening I'm not seeing much for my 7 pounds. Measurements made progress seem better than these photos :p

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/back_10_comp.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/front_10.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/Legs_comp_10.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/arm_comp_10.jpg
Your looking pretty cut even in Dec.
Great job!

axioma
12-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Most change upper body:
1. back thick, wider
2. arms (especially long head of tri) bigger
3. Abs thicker...a good thing:)
4. Not much change in legs

Great to finally see ya! Congrats on tenacity...you are doing THIS!

freebirdmac
12-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Most change upper body:
1. back thick, wider
2. arms (especially long head of tri) bigger
3. Abs thicker...a good thing:)
4. Not much change in legs

Great to finally see ya! Congrats on tenacity...you are doing THIS!

Yeah, it's funny. My mid thigh is 3/4" larger in the last pict. Yet it looks the same.

freebirdmac
12-07-2010, 05:43 PM
10,5,4 / 12, 8, 8

10,10,8 / 12, 10, 8
(First set started out so well... pooped out fast)

10x4

40x10
45x10
50x10
(right side was good with 50#, left needs work)

10x4

10x1

Incline hip thrusts
15x2

Flat hip thrusts
20x2

10x3

ss w/ leg stretches

Hammerfit
12-07-2010, 06:03 PM
10,5,4 / 12, 8, 8

10,10,8 / 12, 10, 8

10x4

40x10
45x10
50x10

10x4

10x1

Incline hip thrusts
15x2

Flat hip thrusts
20x2

10x3

ss w/ leg stretches

next time with the hanging leg raises ditch the straps Its like working three body parts at one time lats, bis and absYouTube - Leg Raises.wmv

Hammerfit
12-07-2010, 06:05 PM
10,5,4 / 12, 8, 8

10,10,8 / 12, 10, 8

10x4

40x10
45x10
50x10

10x4

10x1

Incline hip thrusts
15x2

Flat hip thrusts
20x2

10x3

ss w/ leg stretches

Awesome job on the pullups and chins

freebirdmac
12-07-2010, 06:18 PM
next time with the hanging leg raises ditch the straps Its like working three body parts at one time lats, bis and absYouTube - Leg Raises.wmv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeqEQqp2_Fg)

Shoulders no likey hanging leg raises, thus the ab straps. :)

freebirdmac
12-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Awesome job on the pullups and chins

Heh, after I got 10 on each of the first sets I thought "Great! I'm getting my numbers up again!" phfftt.

Hammerfit
12-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Heh, after I got 10 on each of the first sets I thought "Great! I'm getting my numbers up again!" phfftt.

Have someone who knows how to spot do PRs at the end I did that with Lisa and it helped increase her strength They need to give you just enough assitance to do the positive and then let you do the negative slow on your own.

KevinCouch
12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
You've made a lot of progress from June...especially in your upper body. Noticeably rounder muscles. Keep up the great work FBM!

freebirdmac
12-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I hate cold weather!!! Someone please turn the heat back on! :thumbsdown:

freebirdmac
12-08-2010, 11:29 AM
You've made a lot of progress from June...especially in your upper body. Noticeably rounder muscles. Keep up the great work FBM!

Thanks Kevin!

freebirdmac
12-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Chest/tri

Hoist
90x15
100x12
110x10
120x8
130x5 (sloppy)
120x3
110x3
90x3
50x12

Decline Smith
40x12
50x12
60x9,6
50x6
40x6
20x12
(used to stop when arms were parallel, went all the way to chest instead)

Db flyes
20x10
25x8x2
(by this time my traps and shoulders were all fired up)

Db pullover
35x10
40x8,5
(went for deep rom over weight)

Tri's didn't go so hot. Trap pain made it hard. Except on db skull crushers

Smith close grip (short rom)
bar x20x3
(was shooting for 30)

V-bar
(couldn't even get past first weight)

Db extensions
30x8x3
(dropped weight)

Db skull crushers
15x10x3
15x10x3 with pause at top

I tried really hard to keep my neck and traps relaxed and out of presses. Obviously I need more practice. But I did feel much better pressing tonight.

joedemarco
12-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Chest/tri

Hoist
90x15
100x12
110x10
120x8
130x5 (sloppy)
120x3
110x3
90x3
50x12

Decline Smith
40x12
50x12
60x9,6
50x6
40x6
20x12
(used to stop when arms were parallel, went all the way to chest instead)

Db flyes
20x10
25x8x2
(by this time my traps and shoulders were all fired up)

Db pullover
35x10
40x8,5
(went for deep rom over weight)

Tri's didn't go so hot. Trap pain made it hard. Except on db skull crushers

Smith close grip (short rom)
bar x20x3
(was shooting for 30)

V-bar
(couldn't even get past first weight)

Db extensions
30x8x3
(dropped weight)

Db skull crushers
15x10x3
15x10x3 with pause at top

I tried really hard to keep my neck and traps relaxed and out of presses. Obviously I need more practice. But I did feel much better pressing tonight.

Good stuff, Freebird! Try some wet heat on that trap tonight.

freebirdmac
12-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Oh! Forgot to add rear delt

Db bent over flyes
10x15x3

Db incline reverse flyes
10x15x3

freebirdmac
12-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Good stuff, Freebird! Try some wet heat on that trap tonight.

Good idea. Last two times I've had a massage almost all of the time was spent on my neck and traps :eek:

freebirdmac
12-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Hams/calves/bi

Good mornings
65x10
85x10
95x8x2

Lying ham curls ss w/ leg press calf raises
5 reps bi, 5 reps w/negative uni
40x10
45x10
50x10
55x4 all bi
50x6 all bi
45x6 all bi
35x6 all bi

ssw/
90x20
180x15x3

Glute ham raises
bw x 5 x 4

120x8
110x10x3

Abductor/adductor
125x10, 130x10x3/65x10, 70x10x3

Lying wide cable curls
(did these at small gym so did a number of what turned out to be warmup reps trying to find weight)

Hoist 1-arm preacher
50x8x3
(right wrist got tweaked a bit on lying curls. couldn't push these as hard as I wanted)

Concentration curls
2 sets of 3 weight superset
25x10/15x15/10x20

Mac
12-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Great workouts. Definitely can see improvements in your pictures especially in your triceps and inner thighs.

freebirdmac
12-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Unilateral extensions
55x15
60x10
65x8
70x8/6 (left leg lags)
75x8/6 (right leg had to help left leg a bit)
(at least went up a bit)

Bb reverse lunges
65 x 10 (each leg) x 4
(reps are completed on one leg before repeating with the other. Always returning to feet together. Switched to these to give my forearms/elbow a break. Upped weight by 20#)

Unilateral leg press
90x15
140x10
160x8
180x6
(misread my log and started with 90 instead of 50. didn't realize it until after the second set. mental lapse meant no psyching myself out and upped weight by 20#)

Hack squat to parallel
90x15
140x10
160x8
180x6
(heh, quads were fried and seizing up the last few reps of every set. So didn't up weight)

Shoulders

Smith press
50x10
60x6,8
50x8
10x12
(I don't know what this Smith bar contributes. I'm guessing 35#)

Db upright rows
20x15
25x10
30x8

Db front raises
25# x 10 x3

Db leaning lateral
17.5x10x2
20x10

Skipped the cable upright rows and shrugs to give my traps and neck a break. Had to pop a Motrin prior to workout just to get them to settle down and stave off a headache.

freebirdmac
12-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Great workouts. Definitely can see improvements in your pictures especially in your triceps and inner thighs.

Every little bit adds up eventually. Right? :)

KevinCouch
12-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Every little bit adds up eventually. Right? :)

That's right! I'm hoping to gain about 5 pounds of muscle from last year's Masters Nationals to this year's Masters Nationals. Doesn't seem like much but it really shows up in the right places and can make a dramatic difference in your physique.

Keep up the hard work FBM!!

HeavyDutyGuy
12-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Workouts look great! Are you hydrating enough?

freebirdmac
12-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Workouts look great! Are you hydrating enough?

Given how often I visit the bathroom I certainly think so :p

freebirdmac
12-14-2010, 04:44 PM
10,4 / 12, 10

8,8 / 10, 8

10x5 upping weight each time, got to a higher weight today

30x10

That was all I could do. I'm having food issues. The foods I added to help me gain did fine for awhile but eventually accumulated enough that they subtly started to bother me. Lots of fatigue mainly. Took me awhile to figure out it was my food as I'm used to reacting within a few minutes to 12 hours. Not weeks. Once I dropped those foods I immediately started feeling like myself again. But I also didn't gain weight for two weeks. So I started eating some of them again. Not as often or as much to find my limits. Found a limit today. I just hit a wall. I know from the way I felt that it was what I had eaten. To be specific, corn is in my supposed corn free food.

So I gotta restart, drop those foods again, then try once more with more spacing between servings. I freaking hate the corn industry!!!!!! I've been exposed so much lately that what took weeks to show up took only a couple of days. Phfftt. This sucks.

freebirdmac
12-16-2010, 05:27 PM
No gym due to weather. Snow, sleet, freezing temps... Work closed at noon but I wasn't able to leave until 2 due to traffic on the base. Main roads weren't too bad. I imagine the back roads will be a sheet of ice in the morning.

KevinCouch
12-16-2010, 05:49 PM
No gym due to weather. Snow, sleet, freezing temps... Work closed at noon but I wasn't able to leave until 2 due to traffic on the base. Main roads weren't too bad. I imagine the back roads will be a sheet of ice in the morning.

Yea we got 4 inches here in Richmond, VA too!! Fortunately, I have a home gym to workout in on these occasions...

freebirdmac
12-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Yea we got 4 inches here in Richmond, VA too!! Fortunately, I have a home gym to workout in on these occasions...

Sat/Sun could be a 5-8" coastal storm :eek:

KevinCouch
12-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Sat/Sun could be a 5-8" coastal storm :eek:

I heard:no: My son is stoked because he was off of school today and tomorrow too. So his Winter vacation began yesterday for 2 1/2 weeks...
I remember those days when we would all be glued to the TV at night waiting to hear if schools were closed.

freebirdmac
12-16-2010, 06:32 PM
I heard:no: My son is stoked because he was off of school today and tomorrow too. So his Winter vacation began yesterday for 2 1/2 weeks...
I remember those days when we would all be glued to the TV at night waiting to hear if schools were closed.

Me too! Pissed me off that I couldn't leave work at noon due to traffic getting off the base. Air Force usually keeps people home if schools are closed. Not today. It was a nightmare. At least the snow changed to rain/sleet and I didn't get stuck having to sleep at work.

You guys get a lot more snow than we do. The ocean keeps us too warm. We have a better chance with coastal storms.

I bet schools are closed all over tomorrow. Maybe some can open late.

Hammerfit
12-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Damn, we had 72 degrees here today, shorts and flips again!!

freebirdmac
12-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Damn, we had 72 degrees here today, shorts and flips again!!

Grrrrr! I hate cold weather!

No workout again today. Missed two this week. Roads were fine, I wasn't. Tummy issues today. I got dressed to go, then sat down on the couch and napped for 2 hours. Getting ready to make some ginger tea.

freebirdmac
12-20-2010, 04:41 PM
The next two weeks will be squirrelly so some workouts I'm making up as I go along.

Lower body

Squats (!!)
barx15
65x15
85x12
95x10
115x10x2
(This is huge for me! Every time in the past when I'd get to 95-105# I'd end up with a groin pull/strain. I have never squatted 115! Everything felt good, not a bunch of wobbling, depth can be improved a bit, but I am happy!!! Obviously everything I have been doing has worked to strengthen my stabilizers. The only body parts really complaining were my hands. I think I have tendonitis in them :rolleyes: )

Extensions - machine was binding something fierce. Had to move on and wait for the other machine to open up.

40x10
45x10
50x10
55x10 all bilateral

ssw/
180x20
240x20x3

Unilateral Extensions
50x15
60x10
65x8
70x6

110x10x4

ss w/
Abductor/adductor
130x10x4/70x10x4

:D :D I'm doing a happy dance!

Hammerfit
12-20-2010, 04:58 PM
The next two weeks will be squirrelly so some workouts I'm making up as I go along.

Lower body

Squats (!!)
barx15
65x15
85x12
95x10
115x10x2
(This is huge for me! Every time in the past when I'd get to 95-105# I'd end up with a groin pull/strain. I have never squatted 115! Everything felt good, not a bunch of wobbling, depth can be improved a bit, but I am happy!!! Obviously everything I have been doing has worked to strengthen my stabilizers. The only body parts really complaining were my hands. I think I have tendonitis in them :rolleyes: )

Extensions - machine was binding something fierce. Had to move on and wait for the other machine to open up.

40x10
45x10
50x10
55x10 all bilateral

ssw/
180x20
240x20x3

Unilateral Extensions
50x15
60x10
65x8
70x6

110x10x4

ss w/
Abductor/adductor
130x10x4/70x10x4

:D :D I'm doing a happy dance!

Congrats on the squats!

freebirdmac
12-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Did shoulders and back tonight and kept it really light. I'm used to off and on tendonitis in my shoulders, but this tennis elbow and what seems to be tendonitis in my hands is new and driving me crazy. It's hard to push for heavier weights in the state they are in. So I'm hoping that a light week will help.

It's been a week since I worked upper body and I could feel an improvement. So here's hoping!

I also looked over my routine and I'm going to pull out exercises that seem to aggravate my elbows and hands the most. I already pulled db lunges. Next are pullups and wide grip bi curls. Oh and direct trap work. Not just for the elbows and hands but incredibly after a week of no upper body my traps (especially right side) are still sore. Yeesh. Doing lots of stretching too.

joedemarco
12-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Great job on the squats! Hope the elbows/wrist come around and start feeling better!

Hammerfit
12-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Did shoulders and back tonight and kept it really light. I'm used to off and on tendonitis in my shoulders, but this tennis elbow and what seems to be tendonitis in my hands is new and driving me crazy. It's hard to push for heavier weights in the state they are in. So I'm hoping that a light week will help.

It's been a week since I worked upper body and I could feel an improvement. So here's hoping!

I also looked over my routine and I'm going to pull out exercises that seem to aggravate my elbows and hands the most. I already pulled db lunges. Next are pullups and wide grip bi curls. Oh and direct trap work. Not just for the elbows and hands but incredibly after a week of no upper body my traps (especially right side) are still sore. Yeesh. Doing lots of stretching too.

Doing lots of stretching too. Thats the key to injury prevention IMHO. On leg days I always start w 10-15 min of stationary cycling to loosen up the knees for stretching, then do static stretches for 20-30 each for a total of about 10 minutes, then do 2-3 sets of light weight exercise for that particular joint before starting the session. Lots of prep but I atribute that to my not getting hurt.

Bryan Hildebrand
12-23-2010, 10:54 AM
being thorough in your diary will give you something to look back on and be proud. and yes, it was 78 here yesterday....