PDA

View Full Version : Freebird's Lean Bulk

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

freebirdmac
12-24-2010, 10:42 AM
being thorough in your diary will give you something to look back on and be proud. and yes, it was 78 here yesterday....

78??? You suck! You and Hammer! :D

freebirdmac
12-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Last minute car issues and Christmas prep stuff derailed my trip to the gym yesterday. I'm not really bothered by it. The more rest my upper body gets the better chance I have to get back into it without being hindered.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!

Bryan Hildebrand
12-24-2010, 10:47 AM
you too.

partsRheavy
12-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Merry Christmas all!!!!!

freebirdmac
12-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Merry Christmas!!!

freebirdmac
12-25-2010, 05:58 PM
6-10" of snow by late Sunday night??? Here??? In December even?? Wtf??

We get so little/infrequent snow that many of us don't own snow shovels. The city can plow the main roads but never go into residential areas. So every thing shuts down with just a couple inches. I may be homebound until Tues :eek:

freebirdmac
12-26-2010, 12:53 PM
9" so far. Still snowing...

Good thing temps will be in the 40's Tuesday onward. Or we'd be stuck for a week.

Baldiewonkanobi
12-26-2010, 07:45 PM
DON'T EAT YELLOW SNOW :no:

Bill

Hammerfit
12-26-2010, 09:13 PM
9" so far. Still snowing...

Good thing temps will be in the 40's Tuesday onward. Or we'd be stuck for a week.

YUCK!:dunno:

freebirdmac
12-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Well we measured 11.5" by dark. Should only get another 1" overnight. Good thing the storm moved a tad further off the coast. We would have been pushing 20" otherwise. :eek:

Uncharacteristically, work announced closure for tomorrow by 4:30pm today. Usually we have to wait until 5am the day of to find out.

This was one for the records.

Did I say I don't own a snow shovel?

Hammerfit
12-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Well we measured 11.5" by dark. Should only get another 1" overnight. Good thing the storm moved a tad further off the coast. We would have been pushing 20" otherwise. :eek:

Uncharacteristically, work announced closure for tomorrow by 4:30pm today. Usually we have to wait until 5am the day of to find out.

This was one for the records.

Did I say I don't own a snow shovel?

Holy Crap! I hope you stay warm

freebirdmac
12-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Warm and toasty!

I see on facebook that the gym is open. No surprise. They always open. Even when they shouldn't. I feel sorry for the employees. You have to drive through unplowed deep snow to get out of residential areas then on the really slick main roads. Avoiding overpasses and bridges. Same with the malls! Are these managers idiots??? Dept of transportation and police are imploring people to stay off the roads. Yeesh. It'll get above freezing tomorrow and really improve the situation. Why can't they wait one more day and keep people safe at home?
I can't imagine anyone is going to make enough money to justify opening up.

Hammerfit
12-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Warm and toasty!

I see on facebook that the gym is open. No surprise. They always open. Even when they shouldn't. I feel sorry for the employees. You have to drive through unplowed deep snow to get out of residential areas then on the really slick main roads. Avoiding overpasses and bridges. Same with the malls! Are these managers idiots??? Dept of transportation and police are imploring people to stay off the roads. Yeesh. It'll get above freezing tomorrow and really improve the situation. Why can't they wait one more day and keep people safe at home?
I can't imagine anyone is going to make enough money to justify opening up.

The World turns on the almighty dollar......sad but true. I was supposed to leave yesterday to Atlanta to see my girls. I'm waiting until tomorrrow at the least. The M does not drive in snow!

freebirdmac
12-27-2010, 10:13 AM
The World turns on the almighty dollar......sad but true. I was supposed to leave yesterday to Atlanta to see my girls. I'm waiting until tomorrrow at the least. The M does not drive in snow!

Smart man! I've been cat sitting for a friend who went to Atlanta for Christmas. She and her family didn't pay attention to the weather while there. She called yesterday and said they'd be driving home this am. I suggested they wait one more day. We'll see if they listened. Interstate 95 may be ok. I hope. I left extra food for their cats on Sat. Cats should be fine until tomorrow.

Official weather reporting station close to me reported 13". I thought there was more and suspected what had fallen compacted over time.

Think I'll try my hand at making potato soup.

Hammerfit
12-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Smart man! I've been cat sitting for a friend who went to Atlanta for Christmas. She and her family didn't pay attention to the weather while there. She called yesterday and said they'd be driving home this am. I suggested they wait one more day. We'll see if they listened. Interstate 95 may be ok. I hope. I left extra food for their cats on Sat. Cats should be fine until tomorrow.

Official weather reporting station close to me reported 13". I thought there was more and suspected what had fallen compacted over time.

Think I'll try my hand at making potato soup.

Vikings Eagles NFL postponed! Unsafe for fans cited as reason, first time I ever remember this happening

freebirdmac
12-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Vikings Eagles NFL postponed! Unsafe for fans cited as reason, first time I ever remember this happening

Again?! Wow!

<---- Long time Vikings fan.... when Favre isn't on the team.

tifflex
12-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Stay warm Pam:). I love potato soup.

I went to Mississippi for Christmas and we got a little snow while there.

I'll visit you more often:).

freebirdmac
12-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Stay warm Pam:). I love potato soup.

I went to Mississippi for Christmas and we got a little snow while there.

I'll visit you more often:).

Did you get some back home in Ga?

Ok, tell me how you make potato soup. Mine was kind of bland. It didn't help that I can't use good things like onions and garlic :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas Tiff!

Sunnyday
12-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Some nice WOs going on here. Will be tagging along.

BTW, here is my favorite potato soup recipe (saved for cheats), just omit what you can't use.

http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/from-the-editors/all-time-best-recipes-00400000041570/page16.html

Merry Christmas!

tifflex
12-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Did you get some back home in Ga?

Ok, tell me how you make potato soup. Mine was kind of bland. It didn't help that I can't use good things like onions and garlic :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas Tiff!
Yes, it snowed Christmas day in Georgia. I got back last night and was pleased to see the snow on the grass; thankfully the roads were clear.

I've never made potato soup, so I wouldn't be much help:dunno:. I buy it from a local family diner or have my sister make it for me.

freebirdmac
12-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Some nice WOs going on here. Will be tagging along.

BTW, here is my favorite potato soup recipe (saved for cheats), just omit what you can't use.

http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/from-the-editors/all-time-best-recipes-00400000041570/page16.html

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the recipe!

Yes, it snowed Christmas day in Georgia. I got back last night and was pleased to see the snow on the grass; thankfully the roads were clear.

I've never made potato soup, so I wouldn't be much help:dunno:. I buy it from a local family diner or have my sister make it for me.

Well some help you are :p

Sunnyday
12-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Just caught up on the first half of your thread that I hadn't read until today. Since any milk protein will give you tummy issues, you will have to make some major substitutions on that potato soup I posted for you...sorry! If you try it with soy milk and a cheese substitute, let me know what changes you make. I'm actually thinking of trying it with sweet potato instead of white. My husband is lactose intolerant and he really misses that soup...plus I want to try to concoct a contest-friendly version.

freebirdmac
12-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Just caught up on the first half of your thread that I hadn't read until today. Since any milk protein will give you tummy issues, you will have to make some major substitutions on that potato soup I posted for you...sorry! If you try it with soy milk and a cheese substitute, let me know what changes you make. I'm actually thinking of trying it with sweet potato instead of white. My husband is lactose intolerant and he really misses that soup...plus I want to try to concoct a contest-friendly version.

Yeah, the milk, cheese, onions, bacon, and sour cream are off limits. Which is why mine was so freaking bland. I did use paprika to wake it up a bit. I also used soy milk as a milk sub. I considered coconut milk but figured it would alter the taste too much.

Has he tried hemp milk? If I could find a non-enriched version I'd try some.

Next time I might try cooking some red/yellow/orange peppers in a splash of olive oil then throw in the potatoes and everything else.

freebirdmac
12-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Whoa! Work is closed all day again tomorrow! The Air Force Base is opening at noon so I suspect we had trouble calling in enough grounds people.

I shouldn't have any problem getting to the gym tomorrow afternoon. I'm hoping I can run some errands around noon.

Sunnyday
12-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Haven't tried hemp milk yet. Good idea. I'll look for it in the store.

Since you are OK with paprika, try smoked paprika. It is the next best thing to smoked bacon flavor. I used to work for McCormick and I think they have the best one in the supermarket. Even better if you can get some super-fancy expensive smoked stuff through the mail.

freebirdmac
12-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Haven't tried hemp milk yet. Good idea. I'll look for it in the store.

Since you are OK with paprika, try smoked paprika. It is the next best thing to smoked bacon flavor. I used to work for McCormick and I think they have the best one in the supermarket. Even better if you can get some super-fancy expensive smoked stuff through the mail.

Ooohh! Never heard of smoked paprika. I see their only other listed ingredient is Silicon Dioxide so it should be safe (companies sneak just enough sulfites to help preserve their product but not enough for label listing).

Sunnyday
12-27-2010, 10:23 PM
It is yummy. Great in soups and stewy things, also in marinades and dry rubs. Next best thing to a good charcoal broil without the carcinogens.

freebirdmac
12-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Didn't make it to the gym. Instead I helped my daughter get out of the house for awhile to meet up with a friend. They were supposed to meet up Sunday but the storm prevented that. Not sure about tomorrow either. I'm getting my garage door opener replaced and I have an 11-3 window. Who knows when they'll come. Until all of the icy patches are gone I don't want to drive after dark. Which means 5pm.

freebirdmac
12-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Heh, feel like a fat frog not being in the gym for a week and a slug reading everyone else's workouts. No worries though, I'll start fresh on Monday.

I keep waiting for my traps, forearms, and hands to ease up since I haven't been lifting. There's been some improvement but not as much as I'd have liked. :(

I have gotten quite a bit of chores done that I never seem to have time to do. And I've been playing with recipes. If I react at least I won't screw up a workout.

Lastly I've been working on a new routine.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/New_routine.jpg

tifflex
12-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Happy New Year Pam!

The new split looks good and I would love your level of "fatness":yep:. Love ya!

freebirdmac
12-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Happy New Year Pam!

The new split looks good and I would love your level of "fatness":yep:. Love ya!

Ribbit! :D

freebirdmac
12-31-2010, 10:37 PM
Had a crappy lunch at Applebee's (sorry Erin) with my mom and my daughter... caught fireworks at the new city center (ex indoor mall), and I'm now kicking back with a margarita (took years to come up with a safe recipe). First alcohol since Labor Day weekend.

Happy New Year one and all!

partsRheavy
01-02-2011, 01:17 AM
Happy New Year freebird!!!!

Sunnyday
01-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Happy New Year, freebird!

freebirdmac
01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Yay! Back in the gym!

Chest and abs

Hoist press
50x20
90x10x2
50x12

Decline Smith press PWO
20x10
40x8x2
20x10

Cable incline flyes
8x3

Pullovers
35x10x3

Assorted abs

Yikes. It's been close to 3 weeks since I've worked abs and chest and boy could I tell. Except for flyes I felt chest in my shoulders and traps. Traps especially which were still annoying even with the break. I don't know if the traps and shoulders just bark before chest? I also remember a discussion in someone's journal about the pecs not firing but instead the shoulders fire. Dunno. Either way I'll keep pushing.

joedemarco
01-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Three weeks since hitting chest and abs? You're going to feel that workout tomorrow! Good job!

freebirdmac
01-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Three weeks since hitting chest and abs? You're going to feel that workout tomorrow! Good job!

Ya, chest is a tad sore today. Abs too but to a lesser degree. Guess my sore traps didn't hold me back as much as I thought. :)

freebirdmac
01-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Lower body (strength) + back

Leg press (back to bilateral)
180x10
270x5
320x5
360x5
410x5x2

Hacks
90x8
140x5
160x5x2
(yikes, thought I would be able to do more sets)

RDL's
135x5x3
(dang. didn't even feel comfortable going up. This is normally my warm up weight)

BB bent over rows
bar x10
65x10
75x10
85x8
(not bad, haven't done these in almost a year)

Wide grip pull down
40x10
55x10x2
(I do these with a straight back, keeping forearms perpendicular to floor, bar comes down to about my nose.

Hammer row machine ss w/ seated calves
(had to use one arm, had to wrap myself around the chest pad just to reach the handle)
25x10
35x10
45x8

Calves
110x10x3

Close grip pull down
55x10
65x10
75x8
(again, these are with a straight back, pull to chest)

Overall this workout felt really good :) I knew lower body would be off after a two week break. Back was at the big gym so different machine, cable station, and revisited bb rows. I'm happy.

freebirdmac
01-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Two regulars really blew my mind tonight. The first is a super nice guy who always offers to spot me if I need it. He's the one I call over when I get abouve 410# on leg press as I have trouble unlocking/locking (short legs). He was quite animated and needed a hug. He found a text message on his wife's phone that made it clear that she had been cheating. She even had a marriage proposal. He said that they had been having problems and he wanted them to get counseling. He wasn't expecting this! To add to it he found something on his penis and spent new years eve in the ER. He doesn't have those results back. Yeesh. So he asked for support and I gave him my contact info. I know there's no hidden agenda. The guy needs all the friends he can get right now.

The other regular is late 30-ish, really tall (but not skinny), picture of good health, and lifts heavy. He said back in mid Dec he had finished his heavy workout and had been upstairs cooling off and stretching for about 10 minutes. Then his left lung collapsed! Left the gym in an ambulance obviously. Doc told him that maybe when he was growing up that he had a growth spurt that left a weakened area in his lung. Doc also said there was a 20% chance of this occurring again. Yikes! I asked him if he was scared that it would happen again. He said he was when he came back for the first workout, but not now. And oh by the way keep your cell phone handy :rolleyes:

Between Baldy's brush with death and these two guys I'm really appreciating my boring life!

joedemarco
01-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Every day is a blessing and we have to make the most of our time while we can.

Jimmy Valvano, the well known North Carolina State basketball coach, said before he died that every day you should do three things. One is to laugh. Two is to think. Spend some time in deep thought. Three is to have emotions that move you to tears, whether they are happy or sad.

I always think about what he said and try to keep all three things in mind every day.

freebirdmac
01-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Holy cow am I sore. Chest, tri, ab, bi, glutes, lower back.... Funny, I don't feel my forearms or traps. Just everything else. Makes me never want to take a week(s) off again. Good thing today is a scheduled off day. Shoulders and bi's would have been really tough today. Owwwww.

Hammerfit
01-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Holy cow am I sore. Chest, tri, ab, bi, glutes, lower back.... Funny, I don't feel my forearms or traps. Just everything else. Makes me never want to take a week(s) off again. Good thing today is a scheduled off day. Shoulders and bi's would have been really tough today. Owwwww.

that'll teach ya not to lay off again!

freebirdmac
01-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Shoulders

Db upright rows
20x15
25x10x2

Smith press
bar x 15
40x10,8
(tri's are sore from Mon, felt the left one here???)

Front raises
20x10x3

Leaning side raises
12,5x10x2

Seated, bent over rev flyes
10x10x3

Incline rev rows
10x10x3

Tri's are pretty sore so I just played with a variation on JM presses
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise3/jmpress.htm. I find pulling my arms back before lowering the dumbbells hits the tri's better

Stretched my sore lower body. I don't know how much I'll be able to do tomorrow. I feel like a person with a hangover swearing they'll never drink again :p

partsRheavy
01-06-2011, 07:58 PM
It'll be better next week!

Sunnyday
01-06-2011, 09:16 PM
x2!

freebirdmac
01-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Today should be legs part 2 (hypertrophy) and bi's. Heh. My butt and adductors are still so sore walking isn't fun. Guess I shouldn't have tried my 5x5 routine on Tues. Especially since I've been doing unilateral presses and haven't done RDL's in months :rolleyes: Oh well, next week should be more normal. Quads and bi's are sore, but not as much as my glutes and adductors. So I'm calling this a rest day.

I may speed up my schedule next week. Another nor'easter snow storm is threatening for Mon night and Tues. I'm going to pay close attention to the weather. I can do Mon's workout on Sun (chest/abs) and Tues' workout on Mon (legs/back). Another reason why I don't feel bad about giving my legs a day off today.

joedemarco
01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
It's good you are listening to your body. You must have really hit those legs good on Tuesday. Enjoy your rest day today!

freebirdmac
01-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Grrrr. They changed the forecast. Yesterday morning they had us getting rain on Tues. So I did my normal Sunday routine. Slept in, did laundry, cooked an awesome pot roast.... This morning Tues looks dicey. So I did my longer workout today. If I can squeeze chest and abs in tomorrow during a rain period I will.

Leg Press
180x10
270x5
320x5
360x5
410x5
450x5
500x5
(Yeehaw! Back to my pre-unilateral numbers! I had a scare after 410. My left adductor was talking to me, not a lot, but enough to spook me. So I decided to stretch it a bit before my next set. Boy did that seem like a mistake! Then it talked louder! But I decided to go for 450 anyways and bail if it screamed. It didn't. It calmed down. So I kept going :D )

Hack machine (to parallel)
90x8
140x5
160x5
180x5
200x5
(Also back to where I left off the last time I did 5x5)

RDL's
135x5
145x5
155x5
(not pushing these. been too long but I'm only 10# away from my last max)

Bent over rows
65x10
85x10
95x8
(these are fun after RDL's :eek: Gota go slow as my lower back has already been taxed)

Wide grip pulldowns
45x10
50x10
55x10
60x8
65x6
(staying upright, forearms perpendicular to floor)

Hammer seated one-arm low row
25x10
30x10
35x10
45x8
55x6

Seated calves
110x10x4

Close grip pulldown
55x10
65x10
75x8
80x6
(seated upright)

I love this workout! Yeah it's long, but the body parts are so unrelated (except RDL's and bent over rows). I just come out of the gym feeling so damn good!

Mac
01-10-2011, 07:41 PM
I think you forgot a set.

Wow, great workout!

freebirdmac
01-10-2011, 08:08 PM
I think you forgot a set.

Wow, great workout!

Ha ha. You're one to talk :p

Hammerfit
01-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Grrrr. They changed the forecast. Yesterday morning they had us getting rain on Tues. So I did my normal Sunday routine. Slept in, did laundry, cooked an awesome pot roast.... This morning Tues looks dicey. So I did my longer workout today. If I can squeeze chest and abs in tomorrow during a rain period I will.

Leg Press
180x10
270x5
320x5
360x5
410x5
450x5
500x5
(Yeehaw! Back to my pre-unilateral numbers! I had a scare after 410. My left adductor was talking to me, not a lot, but enough to spook me. So I decided to stretch it a bit before my next set. Boy did that seem like a mistake! Then it talked louder! But I decided to go for 450 anyways and bail if it screamed. It didn't. It calmed down. So I kept going :D )

90x8
140x5
160x5
180x5
200x5
(Also back to where I left off the last time I did 5x5)

RDL's
135x5
145x5
155x5
(not pushing these. been too long but I'm only 10# away from my last max)

Bent over rows
65x10
85x10
95x8
(these are fun after RDL's :eek: Gota go slow as my lower back has already been taxed)

Wide grip pulldowns
45x10
50x10
55x10
60x8
65x6

25x10
30x10
35x10
45x8
55x6

Seated calves
110x10x4

Close grip pulldown
55x10
65x10
75x8
80x6
(seated upright)

I love this workout! Yeah it's long, but the body parts are so unrelated (except RDL's and bent over rows). I just come out of the gym feeling so damn good!

Awesome job! Try cycling the unilaterals in maybe just every 3rd or 4th session

freebirdmac
01-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Awesome job! Try cycling the unilaterals in maybe just every 3rd or 4th session

Friday's are lower body again. 4x8-12 for 4 exercises. I was going to keep extensions unilateral. But great idea about cycling on leg press on the strength day!

freebirdmac
01-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Phffttt. The winter storm was nada this am. None of the snow/sleet/freezing rain we were supposed to have. The thing just dried out. But, instead of the temps coming up and rain in the afternoon, we had light rain and temps at 30. Driving to pick up my daughter at noon I did a double take at my side view mirrors. Water drops looked funny. Well duh they were partially frozen. I noticed only a few, really small icicles on the power lines. Roads and even overpasses seemed fine. As the afternoon went on, temps never went up so I debated going to the gym. My daughter said stay home and live. Feeling sufficiently jinxed, I did.

Tomorrow is normally a rest day so I'll do chest and abs then.

Happy to say I'm not too sore from last night's workout :)

Sunnyday
01-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Yowza, woman! That is a workout fit for an ANIMAL! Great going!

partsRheavy
01-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Stay safe in the ice and rest from that w/o!! :p

Sunnyday
01-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Ya, pop some BCAAs and take a soak in some epsom salts, huh?

freebirdmac
01-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Stay safe in the ice and rest from that w/o!! :p

It ended up being fine. Trees, bushes, signs, cars were coated with ice, but there wasn't enough moisture to do in the roads.

Ya, pop some BCAAs and take a soak in some epsom salts, huh?

Never soaked in epsom salts. Heck, I can't even remember the last time I soaked in a bath :(

freebirdmac
01-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Chest and tri's

Hoist machine
90x15
100x10
110x8
50x8

Smith incline
bar x15
20x10
30x8
40x4
20x8
(still not up to snuff on either presses)

Cable flyes
x10, x10, x6, x6

Pullovers
35x10
40x10
45x5

Close grip press (Smith, short rom)
bar x20
10x15x2

V-bar presses
x10, x8, x6

Standing db extensions
35x5
30x7,8

DB skull crushers
15x10x3

(I'll be glad to get back to my planned routine where tri's are not worked on chest day)

I stumbled onto something interesting this week. I was at our normal, 15 minute, morning tag up meeting, hanging out at the door, actually leaning on the door facing. I realized that with the door facing pressing on the top of my arm, at the shoulder, that it hurt. I couldn't press on the area with my fingers and really feel anything. But I sure could pushing against the door facing. The interesting part is when I was applying pressure there, pain in my traps significantly lessened. I looked in my trigger point therapy book and couldn't find an explanation. It sounded like it should be reversed. Pain in the traps could be referred to the top of the arm. :dunno:

I'm getting a massage on Fri so I'll pass this on to Kat. See what she says.

freebirdmac
01-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Shoulders/abs

Db upright rows
20x15
25x10
30x8

Smith press
40x10
50x10
60x4
20x12
(chest and shoulder presses better start going somewhere in the next couple of weeks :mad )

Front raises
25x10x3

Leaning laterals
20x10 (too much for left side)
17.5x10x2

Bent over reverse flyes
12.5x15x3

Incline reverse flyes
12.5x12x3

Straight leg hanging leg raises
10x4

Bent knee hanging raises
12x1

Incline hip thrusts
15, 10

Flat hip thrusts
15x2

Medicine ball v-crunches
12x3

Shoulders hurt. Looking forward to a massage tomorrow and maybe some insight on where my trap issues really were coming from.

KevinCouch
01-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Shoulders/abs

Db upright rows
20x15
25x10
30x8

Smith press
40x10
50x10
60x4
20x12
(chest and shoulder presses better start going somewhere in the next couple of weeks :mad )

Front raises
25x10x3

Leaning laterals
20x10 (too much for left side)
17.5x10x2

Bent over reverse flyes
12.5x15x3

Incline reverse flyes
12.5x12x3

Straight leg hanging leg raises
10x4

Bent knee hanging raises
12x1

Incline hip thrusts
15, 10

Flat hip thrusts
15x2

Medicine ball v-crunches
12x3

Shoulders hurt. Looking forward to a massage tomorrow and maybe some insight on where my trap issues really were coming from.

As always FB, another great workout. Enjoy your massage I had one a couple of nights ago and it made a huge difference with my back. Hopefully it will with your traps.

freebirdmac
01-14-2011, 08:15 PM
I haven't done a day 2 leg workout or hit biceps directly in what? 3 weeks :eek:

Squats
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x10
115x8
(other than trying squats a couple of weeks ago, I haven't done squats in almost a year. I have a history of squats = groin pulls. At 95#. Being able to do 115# now is awesome! I will take it slow so expect to continue to see crappy numbers)

BB reverse lunges
bar x 10/switch leg/10 x 3

BB hip raises
bar x 10, 8, 8
(got some looks doing these! Lol! Definitely felt it in the glutes)

Unilateral leg extensions
55x10
60x10
65x9(right leg), 8(left leg)
70x6

Lying curls ss w/leg press calves
40x5 (bilateral) + 5 w/unilateral negatives (ea leg)
45x5 (bilateral) + 3 w/unilateral negatives (ea leg)
50x10 bilateral
55x8 bilateral

Leg press calves
180x20x3

Abductor/adductor
65x10x4/125x10x4

BB curls
30x10
40x10
50x10x3
(I haven't done bb curls in forever! I wanted to grab the 60# bar but decided since I haven't hit biceps in 3 weeks it would be better to wait a week)

Standing db preacher curls
25x10x3

Concentration curl dropset
25x10/15x15/10x20 x 2 (complete set on one arm, no rest)

Bicep workout felt better than it has in a couple of months. Between using the forearm bands (thanks Joe!) and avoiding exercises that stress my forearms, my forearms feel better. My hands aren't aching and swelling like they were either. :)

Massage went well. I told Kat about leaning on the door facing and feeling pain at the top of my arm and a lessening of pain/tension in my traps. She hit the area hard. And I mean cry uncle and wave the white flag hard. Ahh and owww at the same time.

freebirdmac
01-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Leg Press
180x10
270x5
360x5
410x5
450x5
500x5

90x10
140x5
160x5
180x5
200x5

RDL's
135x5
155x5x2

Bent over rows
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x8

Wide grip pulldowns
55x10
60x10
65x8
70x6

35x10
40x10
45x10
50x8
55x6

Seated calves
110x10x3

Close grip pulldown
65x10
75x10
85x8
95x6
(seated upright)

Legs still seemed a bit fatigued from Fri. Gotta get them used to this 2x routine again. I was able to goose up my back numbers :)

joedemarco
01-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Great numbers on the training. Looked like a tough workout.

You'll adapt to the 2 leg workouts per week in no time.

Sunnyday
01-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Ya, killer leg wo, freebird. So did you walk or crawl back to your car afterward? LOL.

freebirdmac
01-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Ya, killer leg wo, freebird. So did you walk or crawl back to your car afterward? LOL.

Nope. Once I'm accustomed to the 5x5 strength day, I don't get much of the typical, limping out of the gym soreness. It's more of a cns invoking, strain on the muscles type feeling. It's hard to describe. It's different than the higher rep, wheel me to my car workouts.

Now ask to me row anything... :p

Hammerfit
01-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Nice Job girl! Those are some great numbers, keep up the good work!

freebirdmac
01-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Hoist machine
90x10
100x10
110x7
120x3

Smith incline
20x10
30x8
40x4

Db flyes
20x10x3
(left shoulder did not like these)

Pullovers
35x10
40x10
45x6

Hanging leg raises, hip thrusts, crunches

freebirdmac
01-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Shoulders/tri's

Db upright rows
25x10
30x10x2
(more sets at 30)

Smith press
40x10
50x9
60x3
20x10
(felt much better! rom was better as well :) Also verified Smith bar weighs at least 35#)

Front raises
30x10x3
(first time at 30 :) )

Leaning side raises
15x10x3
(improving here too. felt better. weight still not quite as high as in the past)

Seated, bent over rev flyes
12.5x15x3
(upped weight and reps)

Incline rev rows
12.5x15x3
(upped weight and reps)

Close grip press (Smith, short rom)
bar x30
10x15x2

V-bar presses
x10, x10, x10,x10, x8
(yeah! back to old pyramid weights with 2 extra reps at highest weight)

Standing db extensions
30x10
35x10x2
(better here too. hope to be back to the 45's soon)

DB skull crushers
17.5x10x3
(upped weight)

I am soo happy! I finally upped some weights and didn't have pain holding me back so much. I'm sure avoiding those exercises that stress my forearms helped. But, I think most of it came from discovering anterior delt issues I didn't know I had. I've been working them myself this week. Don't get another massage until next week. But what Kat did last Friday really made a difference. For the first time since, what, Oct? my traps aren't killing me either. Makes me wonder if my forearm-hand issues were also coming from the anterior delts. Hmmmm

Sunnyday
01-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Really nice WO there! Rock on!

Isn't it amazing how much some back and shoulder issues can mess up the rest of you? And of course, what a relief when they're finally addressed!

freebirdmac
01-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Really nice WO there! Rock on!

Isn't it amazing how much some back and shoulder issues can mess up the rest of you? And of course, what a relief when they're finally addressed!

Injuries suck. Persistent issues suck. But yes! Feeling some relief and finally being able to push normal weights, and even increase weights is awesome! I was getting really tired of not going anywhere except backwards on my upper body days. That is depressing.

freebirdmac
01-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Squats
65x10
85x8
95x8
105x8
115x8
(played with foot placement. did a few sets with a wider stance. started bothering my back to I returned to my normal stance.)

BB reverse lunges
65 x 10/switch leg/10 x 3
(up 20 pounds. balance is easier w/dumbbells :rolleyes: )

BB hip raises
65 x 10, 9, 8
(up 20 pounds)

65x10
70x8
75x8
80x6
(up 10 pounds)

50x10 bilateral
55x8 bilateral

Leg press calves
180x20x3

Abductor/adductor
70x10x4/130x10x4
(up 5 pounds)

BB curls
40x10
50x10
60x8,4
(first time ever w/60# bar :) )

30x8,6
(heh, went up 5#. needs work)

I was so tired going into the gym. But it went ok anyway. I have got to find a way to get more sleep during the week.

Sunnyday
01-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Squats
65x10
85x8
95x8
105x8
115x8
(played with foot placement. did a few sets with a wider stance. started bothering my back to I returned to my normal stance.)

BB reverse lunges
65 x 10/switch leg/10 x 3
(up 20 pounds. balance is easier w/dumbbells :rolleyes: )

BB hip raises
65 x 10, 9, 8
(up 20 pounds)

65x10
70x8
75x8
80x6
(up 10 pounds)

50x10 bilateral
55x8 bilateral

Leg press calves
180x20x3

Abductor/adductor
70x10x4/130x10x4
(up 5 pounds)

BB curls
40x10
50x10
60x8,4
(first time ever w/60# bar :) )

30x8,6
(heh, went up 5#. needs work)

I was so tired going into the gym. But it went ok anyway. I have got to find a way to get more sleep during the week.

^Truth! Sleep is key.

partsRheavy
01-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Those 60 lb curls mean you ain't messin' around!!!!

freebirdmac
01-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Those 60 lb curls mean you ain't messin' around!!!!

Damn right!!

:D

freebirdmac
01-22-2011, 04:02 PM
I bought a bodymedia from Costco for $150. It comes with a 12 month subscription. http://www.bodymedia.com/

It's a pretty cool tool. I've been wearing it for almost a week and it's showing me that I'm burning more cals than I thought I was. Which is a good thing the way I have been eating lately. :p

One other thing it shows is info about sleep. I usually go to bed at 10pm and the alarm goes off at 5am. Subtracting out a trip to the bathroom and a couple of night sweat episodes and I thought I was getting around 6.5 hours. According to this device I wake up far more than I am aware of. I'm lucky to get 5 hours :eek:

Here's a screenshot of their Activity Monitor:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/bodymedia_overall.jpg

You can drill down into the various categories and get details.

Sleep info:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/bodymedia_sleep.jpg

Activity info:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/bodymedia_activity.jpg

Calories burned info:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/bodymedia_caloriesburn.jpg

I'm not tracking calories. You get to pick your goal; weight loss, weight gain, or increased activity.

partsRheavy
01-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Freebird -

This is fascinating!! Keep us posted on the BodyMedia's results. It's interesting that it's showing you with a high activity level. Is this walking around at work, walking the dog, housework, ??

freebirdmac
01-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Freebird -

This is fascinating!! Keep us posted on the BodyMedia's results. It's interesting that it's showing you with a high activity level. Is this walking around at work, walking the dog, housework, ??

In the am, until 8 it's just getting up, showered, drive to work, and walking up 3 flights of stairs with a loaded laptop bag. Up until two I'm mostly at my desk but do go up and down 3 flights several times a day.

At 2 I drive home, change, and head to the gym. That's where you see the most activity. The day I showed was Friday. Lower body hypertrophy and bi's. There's also a period after the gym where the calorie burn is still elevated. I did come home, roast some coffee beans, cleaned up my kitchen, and made some cookies. Nothing that vigorous.

What is interesting to me is the spike between 10 and 11. When I've gone to bed. That's also when I usually have a couple of hot flashes and do some tossing and turning. I guess it's reading the heat and thinking it's from exercise :p

partsRheavy
01-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Interesting! It seems like it's noticing the stairs @work.

Sunnyday
01-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Really cool tool! Keep posting comments about it. I may need to get one if I keep hearing good things from you about it.

freebirdmac
01-23-2011, 08:53 AM
I finished my week with the bodymedia. It yielded some interesting results, higher cals burned than I previously thought and less sleep than I realized.

Fortunately I haven't been tracking cals during this bulk so I haven't been hindering my metabolism. But prior to this bulk I always tracked cals and definitely didn't give me metabolism full throttle. Sure, weight went up or down according to what I was doing. But, eating even more than ever on this bulk seems to have taken the restrictor plate off. Me burning 2300 cals in a day??? At my height, weight, age, post-meno, hypo, sedentary job/lifestyle... who'd have guessed? My average daily cal burn was 2000. If I was more active on the weekend and not perpetually catching up on sleep it'd be even higher.

Sleep, not sure what to do as waking during the night seems to be a large problem. I'll have to think on this more.

I'm passing the bodymedia to my daughter. I think I have her bribed up enough to start hitting the gym with me next week. I showed her a 12 week transformation challenge with impressive $$ prizes. Bribery works :p
She's an ex-gymnast with good underlying muscle but extra fat from not getting much exercise the past few years. She's gone with me to the gym in the past, and hated it. I am hoping this challenge will get her going and allow me more time to help change her mind about it. **major finger crossing**

This is the nice thing about the device. You can change your stats on line, use the same login, and let another family member use it. Some gyms sell them with a lifetime subscription. Without the subscription you'd need to buy a display to see your data (watch size). They retail for $100.

KevinCouch
01-23-2011, 11:53 AM
I finished my week with the bodymedia. It yielded some interesting results, higher cals burned than I previously thought and less sleep than I realized.

Fortunately I haven't been tracking cals during this bulk so I haven't been hindering my metabolism. But prior to this bulk I always tracked cals and definitely didn't give me metabolism full throttle. Sure, weight went up or down according to what I was doing. But, eating even more than ever on this bulk seems to have taken the restrictor plate off. Me burning 2300 cals in a day??? At my height, weight, age, post-meno, hypo, sedentary job/lifestyle... who'd have guessed? My average daily cal burn was 2000. If I was more active on the weekend and not perpetually catching up on sleep it'd be even higher.

Sleep, not sure what to do as waking during the night seems to be a large problem. I'll have to think on this more.

I'm passing the bodymedia to my daughter. I think I have her bribed up enough to start hitting the gym with me next week. I showed her a 12 week transformation challenge with impressive $$ prizes. Bribery works :p
She's an ex-gymnast with good underlying muscle but extra fat from not getting much exercise the past few years. She's gone with me to the gym in the past, and hated it. I am hoping this challenge will get her going and allow me more time to help change her mind about it. **major finger crossing**

This is the nice thing about the device. You can change your stats on line, use the same login, and let another family member use it. Some gyms sell them with a lifetime subscription. Without the subscription you'd need to buy a display to see your data (watch size). They retail for $100.

Very interesting Pam. Averaging 2000 calories a day and as much as 2300 is pretty damn good! Especially for a woman. You've done an outstanding job with your physique and proves that heavy resistance training does dramatically increase your calorie/fat burn. You can tell all the other women at your gym who are spending hours a day doing cardio that they would be FAR better off transforming their body with weights than cardio. I used to do some personal training years ago and the majority of my clients were women and my favorite saying was "doing cardio will just transform your body from large pear shaped to a smaller pear shaped body" and not the look they want. Good stuff! Hope your daughter decides to training with you!

freebirdmac
01-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Very interesting Pam. Averaging 2000 calories a day and as much as 2300 is pretty damn good! Especially for a woman. You've done an outstanding job with your physique and proves that heavy resistance training does dramatically increase your calorie/fat burn. You can tell all the other women at your gym who are spending hours a day doing cardio that they would be FAR better off transforming their body with weights than cardio. I used to do some personal training years ago and the majority of my clients were women and my favorite saying was "doing cardio will just transform your body from large pear shaped to a smaller pear shaped body" and not the look they want. Good stuff! Hope your daughter decides to training with you!

You're exactly right! My big calorie burn days come from lifting. You can even see the elevated calorie burn after I leave the gym. I've repeated what you said about cardio verses lifting loads of times. To both men and women. But this darn cardio myth is damn hard to break. Same with under eating. These 150+ pound women eating 1200 cals and 200+ pound men eating 1800 cals. Yeesh. Add in hours of cardio and there's a recipe for disaster. Especially the rebound when the diet ends.

I'm so lucky that 3 years ago, when I was literally jello on a stick, no muscle at all, to stumble onto a female bb forum while researching exercises. And to have a regular there who also started out very skinny fat "adopt" me and straighten my ass out. I got out of eating 1200 cals a day and into better eating and lifting heavy. Coming at this from a low weight, mid 20's body fat, and no muscle is about the worse starting point one can have. It's far easier to lose body fat than to gain muscle. It's a long road. Even after 3 years my lower body still looks crummy. Better, but not like I've been lifting for 3 years. That's just how low a point I started from.

But there's still loads to learn. This last bulk I really boosted the calories. Far beyond my normal comfort point. And danged if I didn't learn that I had been unknowingly holding my metabolism back. Maybe it was timing. Fixing a damaged metabolism can take years. Trying this cal intake a year ago may not have worked as well.

I think that's one benefit to devices like the bodymedia. It doesn't know if a metabolism is damaged. It'll show what your burn rate should be. Yeah, there is some error in it's measurements. But if it says you're burning 2300 and you're gaining at 1800, that should be a red flag for a damaged metabolism.

freebirdmac
01-23-2011, 02:58 PM
I think I'm going to change up my shoulder routine. Hope this link is allowed :p

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glasscut1.htm

fatbackgoal
01-23-2011, 04:26 PM
I think I'm going to change up my shoulder routine. Hope this link is allowed :p

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glasscut1.htm

Looks like a solid routine. Glass always has a little twist of change on conventional movements that seem to help.

freebirdmac
01-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Looks like a solid routine. Glass always has a little twist of change on conventional movements that seem to help.

Where in the hell have you been? :) You've been awol for quite awhile. Glad to have you back!

fatbackgoal
01-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Where in the hell have you been? :) You've been awol for quite awhile. Glad to have you back!

Life with a little bit of lazy. Been to long and see some of the regulars have not been posting in awhile.

freebirdmac
01-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Life with a little bit of lazy. Been to long and see some of the regulars have not been posting in awhile.

Well, Baldy was run off by a stalker, and Mike and Blu have been too busy to post much :rolleyes: We have picked up a few new guys though.

tifflex
01-23-2011, 08:22 PM
I bought a bodymedia from Costco for $150. It comes with a 12 month subscription. http://www.bodymedia.com/

It's a pretty cool tool. I've been wearing it for almost a week and it's showing me that I'm burning more cals than I thought I was. Which is a good thing the way I have been eating lately. :p

One other thing it shows is info about sleep. I usually go to bed at 10pm and the alarm goes off at 5am. Subtracting out a trip to the bathroom and a couple of night sweat episodes and I thought I was getting around 6.5 hours. According to this device I wake up far more than I am aware of. I'm lucky to get 5 hours :eek:

Here's a screenshot of their Activity Monitor:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/bodymedia_overall.jpg

You can drill down into the various categories and get details.

Sleep info:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/bodymedia_sleep.jpg

Activity info:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/bodymedia_activity.jpg

Calories burned info:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/bodymedia_caloriesburn.jpg

I'm not tracking calories. You get to pick your goal; weight loss, weight gain, or increased activity.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with bodymedia. I'm off to do a little research on it:).

Have a good week!

freebirdmac
01-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences with bodymedia. I'm off to do a little research on it:).

Have a good week!

I think you'd really like it Tiff. I'd still use my hr monitor when doing cardio (in addition) as hr is one feedback item you don't get. I swear one day I'll do some cardio :rolleyes:

freebirdmac
01-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Ugggh. Felt like a rag doll when I got up. Did the dutiful thing and showered and dressed for work. That's as far as I got. Emailed work, ate some oatmeal, and crawled back in bed. Slept for another 3.5 hours. Feels like some sort of cold or throat bug. Not going to hit the gym today. Which really blows as yesterday I couldn't wait to go and try for 6 plates on leg press. Maybe tomorrow. :(

I at least took advantage of being home and got the gas company out. My meter has been leaking. They needed to replace the regulator.

axioma
01-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Get the rest and hope you feel better.

KevinCouch
01-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Ugggh. Felt like a rag doll when I got up. Did the dutiful thing and showered and dressed for work. That's as far as I got. Emailed work, ate some oatmeal, and crawled back in bed. Slept for another 3.5 hours. Feels like some sort of cold or throat bug. Not going to hit the gym today. Which really blows as yesterday I couldn't wait to go and try for 6 plates on leg press. Maybe tomorrow. :(

I at least took advantage of being home and got the gas company out. My meter has been leaking. They needed to replace the regulator.

Get some rest and get better. I had strep throat 2 weeks ago and it lasted almost a week. Hope you don't have it!!

freebirdmac
01-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Get some rest and get better. I had strep throat 2 weeks ago and it lasted almost a week. Hope you don't have it!!

I'd never really know! I'm one of those rare ones who never test positive.

I hope this doesn't last a week. I don't need another week of down time. Been far too much of that lately.

Sunnyday
01-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Ugh! Sorry you're not feeling well, freebird. Hope it passes quickly.

Mac
01-24-2011, 10:06 PM
I'd never really know! I'm one of those rare ones who never test positive.

I hope this doesn't last a week. I don't need another week of down time. Been far too much of that lately.

As Kevin said, get some rest and recover so you can get back to the gym healthy. Your workouts are brutal, it's a wonder you recover as well as you do.

tifflex
01-25-2011, 05:16 AM
How are you feeling today?

freebirdmac
01-25-2011, 06:30 AM
How are you feeling today?

Not really better :(

When I woke up the first thing I thought was, ok, if I don't get back to the gym until Thursday how am I going to structure my remaining workouts?

fatbackgoal
01-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Hope you feel better soon.

freebirdmac
01-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Felt better yesterday than I do today. Yesterday I made it into work for awhile. Should be a full day today and tomorrow. I'm undecided about trying the gym tonight. At the moment I think I'd just be going through the motions. I'll see how I feel this afternoon.

I hate the winter and all of this germy crap. Injuries, aches, and pains are enough to deal with :mad:

Sunnyday
01-27-2011, 12:27 PM
How's the snow down there, freebird? Got us a righteous 12" up here in MD near the DE border! Add that to the 4" we got yesterday and my kids are in heaven. :)

freebirdmac
01-27-2011, 01:51 PM
How's the snow down there, freebird? Got us a righteous 12" up here in MD near the DE border! Add that to the 4" we got yesterday and my kids are in heaven. :)

Snow??? It rained here :( We were lucky to get the dumping we did on Christmas. Our normal snowfall is maybe a couple of inches. Over the entire winter.

freebirdmac
01-27-2011, 05:22 PM
I feel good. As long as I'm not moving around. One more day of work. Then a weekend of rest. Monday will start a new week. Oh, and I do get a massage tomorrow :)

But, please, please, please, iron gods, no more weeks off for a long while!!!!

joedemarco
01-27-2011, 06:35 PM
My kids barely go to school anymore..lol. All they do is have snow days off. They'll be going to school in July. We got another 10" last night so the kids were home from school again today. You wouldn't believe how high the snow piles are around here.

Hope you feel better over the weekend! You taking anything for it? There's a lot of good homeopathic stuff out there when you're immune system starts to feel down.

freebirdmac
01-27-2011, 06:52 PM
My kids barely go to school anymore..lol. All they do is have snow days off. They'll be going to school in July. We got another 10" last night so the kids were home from school again today. You wouldn't believe how high the snow piles are around here.

Hope you feel better over the weekend! You taking anything for it? There's a lot of good homeopathic stuff out there when you're immune system starts to feel down.

Yeah those snow days off won't look so good when the weather's warm and they're going on weekends or beyond the usual end of school date. Sorry kids! I've heard the snow piles are really bad. That seeing around corners at intersections can be impossible. I can't imagine.

I'm taking Motrin as needed and occasionally drinking some homemade ginger tea. I did buy a bunch of grapefruits before I got sick so I'm enjoying those too. No doubt my quercetin/bromelain is helping some.

tifflex
01-27-2011, 11:34 PM
I feel good. As long as I'm not moving around. One more day of work. Then a weekend of rest. Monday will start a new week. Oh, and I do get a massage tomorrow :)

But, please, please, please, iron gods, no more weeks off for a long while!!!!
Good news! Enjoy the massage and the weekend:).

freebirdmac
01-31-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm back in the gym :)

Chest and abs

Db incline press
20x10
25x10
30x10
35x10
(I can't get the 35's in position without help. Pisses me off! I need to get back up to 45# and finally 50# but it'll depend on someone being around to assist me. Like tonight.)

Db incline flyes
20x10
25x8x2
(my left elbow was really annoyed by these)

Hoist press
90x8x3
(that's all I had)

Pullovers
35x10
40x10
45x6

Hanging leg raises (using sleeves), incline hip thrusts, flat hip thrusts, medicine ball v-crunches.

I started with db's as they don't bother my shoulders as much as machines, Smith, or bb. I suspect my left elbow issue was more of a referred pain from the anterior delt. So there goes that theory :rolleyes: But I'm going to keep doing this for awhile. Wear my chest out a bit before moving to the Hoist.

Overall didn't go too badly considering it's been 2 weeks since my last chest workout.

freebirdmac
01-31-2011, 06:58 PM
Oh, and the massage Friday was killer! Kat focused on my anterior delts and my teres major and teres minor. Hurt like freaking crazy. My traps haven't bothered me since she first hit my right anterior delt. Interestingly, all weekend after the massage I had tennis elbow type pain and some hand pain/swelling. So I think we're onto something.

Sure be nice if it could hurt where the problem is and not be referred all over the place :p

freebirdmac
02-01-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm tired. I know I don't get enough sleep, but I wonder if the bug from last week is still affecting me. Tonight was tough. I had to stay light.

Leg Press
180x10
270x5
360x5
410x5

90x10
140x5
160x5

RDL's
135x8x3

Bent over rows
65x10
85x8x3

Wide grip pulldowns
60x10
65x8x2

45x8x2

Close grip pulldown
75x8x2
(seated upright)

I'm looking at this as this as my week to get my food back up, try to get more sleep, and get prepared for hitting some pr's next week.

Mac
02-01-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm tired. I know I don't get enough sleep, but I wonder if the bug from last week is still affecting me. Tonight was tough. I had to stay light.

Looking at your workouts, I can't imagine why you're tired.

Just like Dar told me now, rest up and recover.

KevinCouch
02-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Way to get back into training Pam! Just make sure you get enough rest and don't overdo it.

joedemarco
02-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Good stuff!

Sunnyday
02-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Good stuff!

x2!

freebirdmac
02-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys! In spite of being really tired it was good to be back in the gym. I came home and had to stretch out on the couch for 30 minutes before I had enough energy to fix some food. Then I took a nap. Tomorrow is my normal rest day. And it's supposed to be 70!! Think I'll grill some steaks :)

Sunnyday
02-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Steak FTW!

partsRheavy
02-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Glad you're back!!!!!

Hope you survive the COLD weather!!!!!

Bundle up and keep those muscles warm so they will _Work Happy_!!!!!

:yep:

At least it's not January anymore....

gman
02-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Grill those steaks fast before it drops back to 40 tonight and tomorrow!!!

freebirdmac
02-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Grill those steaks fast before it drops back to 40 tonight and tomorrow!!!

I grill year around. Although since Christmas I've been slacking and using my oven.

freebirdmac
02-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Dang I'm sore. Chest, tri's, glutes, and inner thighs in particular.

I was thinking about this today. I only missed a week and kept the weights Mon/Tues under what I was lifting 2 weeks ago. Why the soreness?

Every time I go to the gym, except for these recovery weeks, I'm lifting close to, at, or above the most I've ever lifted. I don't have mature muscle. There's no muscle memory to awaken. I've never built mass like this before. So what I've gained over the past three years is somewhat fragile. My upper numbers are tenuous. And will continue to be so until I push far enough past them that they are sufficiently below new higher numbers. I think the soreness kind of shows me what's really ingrained in my muscles and what's not.

There was a thread on another forum where a guy was lamenting his progress pictures and how little progress was really there. I can relate. When you're past fast newbie gains, don't have muscle memory to help you out, and not using secret sauces, progress is very slow. This shit is hard. Physically and psychologically. You have this image in your mind as to what you want, but it's always just out of reach. Just one more year, then ok, just one more year, and it seemingly never ends. What a mind phuk!

I also started thinking about how much time during this bulk has really been spent growing. Since Sept when I raised my calories I'm guessing about 11 weeks. Not much. First my magic muffins came back to bite me with hidden corn, then the problems with my forearms and hands, illness, holidays... there are always potholes on this road. If I look at progress over 11 weeks instead of 20 weeks, well it's not too bad. Maybe it's not horrible to only get 4 good growing months out of a 7 month bulk. I'm not sure what is realistic. Especially for a 51 year old rookie woman. But that shortened true growing time sure helps to explain the results.

I obviously had too much time on my hands today :p

freebirdmac
02-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Interesting way to get db's in position for presses

622ku8i0M14

Sunnyday
02-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Freebird, thanks for sharing the video. I will be using this on Saturday (arms) and next Tuesday (chest) for sure!

freebirdmac
02-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Freebird, thanks for sharing the video. I will be using this on Saturday (arms) and next Tuesday (chest) for sure!

Dunno how it'll go, but it may be worth a shot.

I've been thinking about the difficulty I've been having getting db's in position for chest presses. Knowing I can go heavier if someone helps me. It dawned on me last night why. Or at least a part of the reason. I'm not moving the db's out before initiating the press. So essentially I'm trying to close grip press them up. D'oh. Funny thing is, I've worked with two very good trainers who are sticklers for form. My guess is that since the weight is so light for them, it doesn't trigger a flag. Of course I won't know what difference this will make until I work chest again next week. But it makes sense. And if moving the db's out first doesn't help, I can try that guy's method.

Sure wish he'd worn a shirt and longer pants :eek:

freebirdmac
02-03-2011, 06:23 PM
I did Charles Glass shoulder workout. Definitely a difference afterwards. Not nearly as much pain.

Seated side laterals
5x10
10x10x2

Seated front laterals
15x10
12.5x10x2
(really have to lower the weight on both laterals)

Seated reverse flyes
10x15x3

Incline rev flyes
10x12x3

Smith wide upright rows
barx10
10x10
20x10
(had to face the Smith to get the angle working with me)

Smith presses
30x10
40x8
50x3

Smith push press
40x4

Smith close grip press (short rom)
barx20x3

V-bar press
3 sets of 10 upping weight each time

Standing extensions
30x10,8,8

Db skull crushers
15x8x3

I wasn't sure I was even going to do tri's. They were still sore from Mon. Especially the left one. Pullovers really nail them.

Sunnyday
02-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Your bod is definitely fried after that WO, freebird!

freebirdmac
02-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Your bod is definitely fried after that WO, freebird!

Not really. I pushed it as far as I could yesterday but I know next week will be better. I really am a slow starter after a week off.

Shoulders feel pretty good this am. There's some soreness, but not the usual bad pain. We'll see if this continues.

freebirdmac
02-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Now this was a workout! I walked out ok, but boy was I pooped.

Squats
65x10
85x10
105x10
125x10
135x8
(wtf!? Where did this come from?? A year ago I couldn't squat 105 without a groin pull. A few weeks ago I found I could get to 115, but I was topped out there. I thought it'd be awhile before I could add 5#. Was it jumping up by 20 instead of 10? Doing a less than max weight workout on Tues? Yeah I need to work on depth, especially on that last set, but I couldn't do this a few weeks ago. I came home and was going to make some of my "safe" buckwheat cookies and stopped short. I haven't had any of my new, calorie boosting cookies this week. Are they causing problems like my muffins did? )

BB reverse lunges
65 x 10/switch leg/10 x 2

BB hip raises
65 x 10, 10, 8

65x10
70x10
75x8
80x6

50x10 bilateral
55x8 bilateral

Leg press calves
180x20x3, 180x15

Abductor/adductor
70x10x4/130x10x4

BB curls
40x10
50x10
60x6x2
(Much better form with the 60# bar)

25x10
30x8x2

Damn. If my extra foods are still causing issues I can easily get rid of them. Trying to get enough cals in without them though is going to be very difficult.

GirlyMuscle
02-04-2011, 05:44 PM
I love Charles Glass style side laterals. I agree, you do have to drop the weight but I feel it so much more where I'm supposed to.

freebirdmac
02-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Checked my diet in fitday... my basic safe diet gives me 1766 cals. According to the bodymedia, I average 2000 cals over a week. So I need 484 safe cals from somewhere to get to my 2250 goal :eek:

I have some foods I can eat occasionally, like bananas and apples. But I know I can't have them daily. I'm going to have to eat oatmeal before bed. I'm not sure what else I eat right now. Multiple allergy/intolerances suck! Especially this corn allergy. In the US corn is like air, it's everywhere. Grrrr.

Oh I dd buy a machine to make my own soymilk. I'm going to try it out this weekend. Soy bloats me up, but if I can stagger it with the bananas and apples that'll help.

Mac
02-04-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm going to have to eat oatmeal before bed. I'm not sure what else I eat right now.

This is what I have been doing, 2 or 3 nights a week, one cup of oatmeal and a banana sliced in while cooking.

It's good stuff!

freebirdmac
02-04-2011, 07:34 PM
This is what I have been doing, 2 or 3 nights a week, one cup of oatmeal and a banana sliced in while cooking.

It's good stuff!

I do it occasionally when I'm hungry at bedtime. I already eat 3/4 cup (dry) for breakfast. Oh well. It just leaves me a little bloated in the am. I still need more cals from somewhere. Good thing I have a desk job and I'm not a big fan of cardio (don't do any right now).

freebirdmac
02-04-2011, 07:41 PM
BTW, in case any of you weren't aware common allergy/intolerance symptoms include muscle weakness, muscle pain, and joint pain. Since we beat ourselves up in the gym every week, it can be hard to suss out what's what.

partsRheavy
02-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Those were some good squats and some heavy curls! How are ya feeling today? :p

At least our weather warmed up a little. A few ppl ditched the coats and long sleeves but I just wore a lighter coat....

freebirdmac
02-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Those were some good squats and some heavy curls! How are ya feeling today? :p

At least our weather warmed up a little. A few ppl ditched the coats and long sleeves but I just wore a lighter coat....

I'm fine today! A little bit of soreness but nothing like what I expected. If I don't have 2nd day soreness tomorrow then I know I'm onto something with my diet. I'm sticking to my tried and true foods even if it means fewer cals. Pisses me off to think I've wasted time with muscle weakness and soreness from food :mad: Of course, Friday could have been a fluke not to be repeated next week.

We warmed up too. But looking at a possible winter storm starting Mon night.

partsRheavy
02-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Awesome!!!! I'm glad that you don't feel real fatigued or badly sore!!!!! That was a hard w/o!!!

Eat a little extra oatmeal for me if ya get snowed in Mon.......:p

GirlyMuscle
02-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Just catching up...hey...that DB video was awesome! I can do much heavier DBs than I can get into position so this should help a lot! Thanks!

freebirdmac
02-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Just catching up...hey...that DB video was awesome! I can do much heavier DBs than I can get into position so this should help a lot! Thanks!

I watched a lady get db's into position that way on Fri. It was pretty cool.

freebirdmac
02-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Awesome!!!! I'm glad that you don't feel real fatigued or badly sore!!!!! That was a hard w/o!!!

Eat a little extra oatmeal for me if ya get snowed in Mon.......:p

No additional leg soreness today :)

Of course shoulders still hurt, that's not food related. Lower back was a tad sore going into the gym on Fri. That last set of squats made it worse. It's just a little bit sore this am.

I can easily switch Mon and Tues workout. While I prefer to do legs/back on Mon, if I think I need to I can do legs on Tues instead.

Oh, I typed Mon for snow, should have been Wed night into Thursday. Brain fart!

freebirdmac
02-08-2011, 05:56 PM
I had Super Bowl sleepies yesterday :emb: I went to bed when the game was over, but for some reason I couldn't fall asleep until 1am. Got up at 5am. By the afternoon I was so tired my head hurt. So I missed chest and abs

Didn't miss today though :D

Leg Press
180x10
270x10
360x8
450x5
540x5x2
(6 plates!! First time! Depth was even better on the second set)

140x8
180x8
230x5
250x5
(Had to work to keep my lower back on the pad on the last two sets so I wasn't quite as deep as earlier sets. Will work on that before going up again)

RDL's
135x10
155x6
165x5
(I had just started working on 165 last time I had deads in my routine. Felt good to be back at that weight. Lower back was slightly sore after hacks so I made sure my legs and butt did the work)

Bent over rows
65x10
85x10
95x8
105x6
(tough after deads)

Wide grip pulldowns
60x10
70x8
80x6
(staying upright, forearms perpendicular to floor, upped weight)

45x10
55x10
65x8
70x6
(upper weight)

Close grip pulldown
75x12
85x10
95x6
(seated upright, upped weight)

Well!! I am convinced corn had once again worked it's way into my diet effecting muscle fatigue and soreness. Damit!! I dumped my magic muffins late Oct. Now I have to dump my buckwheat chocolate chunk cookies :( Going to be really tough to get enough cals in. I'm going to spend a fortune on macadamia nuts (the only nut I can eat).

But hell yes!!! Some weight is being moved! :D

fatbackgoal
02-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Good looking workout and congrats on the PR's.

partsRheavy
02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Wow!! That is some weight you are doing on those lifts!!!

HeavyDutyGuy
02-09-2011, 12:15 AM
NICE! keep it up!

freebirdmac
02-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Seated side laterals
10x10x3

Seated front laterals
12.5x10x3

Seated reverse flyes
12.5x15x3
(upped weight)

Incline rev flyes
12.5x12x3
(upped weight)

Smith wide upright rows
20x10x3

Smith presses
30x10
40x8
50x6
(got extra reps at 50 over last week)

Smith push press
40x6x2
(got extra reps plus added set)

barx30,20,20

V-bar press
3 sets of 10 upping weight each time

Standing extensions
pyramid x10, x8, x8

Db skull crushers
17.5x10x3
(upped weight and reps)

Went to Trader Joe's yesterday to stock up on my safe foods. No macadamia nuts!!! :mad: Their computer said out of stock which means they have no idea when they will get them. Mac nuts at other local stores list peanut oil as an ingredient which I can't have. I think TJ's gets their mac nuts from Australia. I hope it's not a weather related shortage. They were greatly helping me get my cals up.

freebirdmac
02-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Oh, and I was 119.8 at the gym tonight :) Started at 109 in Sept.

tifflex
02-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Oh, and I was 119.8 at the gym tonight :) Started at 109 in Sept.
Great job Pam! This is no easy feat considering your food allergies:yep:.

partsRheavy
02-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Very good!!!! I agree that isn't easy!!!!

Sunnyday
02-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Yowza, woman! I leave for a few days and you are absolutely killin' it in the gym! Real nice exercises and numbers. Scale sounds good too. Hope you can get your hands on some mac nuts that you need very soon.

freebirdmac
02-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Squats
85x10
105x10
125x8
135x8
(So 135 wasn't a fluke last week! Depth was better on last two sets.No back pain this time)

BB reverse lunges
65 x 10/switch leg/10 x 2

BB hip raises
65 x 10, 10, 8

Unilateral leg extensions ss w/adductor/abductor
65x10
70x10
75x10
80x8
85x8/6

Abductor/adductor
70x10x4/130x10x4

45x5 (bilateral) + 5 w/unilateral negatives (ea leg)
50x5 (bilateral) + 5 w/unilateral negatives (ea leg)
60x10 bilateral
65x8 bilateral
(upped weight)

Leg press calves
90x20x4
(loaded up one side and forgot to load up the other side! I thought it felt really light :rolleyes: )

BB curls
40x10
50x10
60x8,6
(Much better form with the 60# bar)

30x10,10,8

30x8/15x15/10x20 x 2 (complete set on one arm, no rest)
(30# is too much right now)

joedemarco
02-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Great gains since September! I like that 135 pound squat also!

freebirdmac
02-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Great gains since September! I like that 135 pound squat also!

I was scared half to death that I wasn't going to be able to repeat, that it was a fluke. I am so relieved! I figure I should be working on 150 based on my press weight, so I still have catching up to do. But this is huge for me :D

partsRheavy
02-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Awesome!!!! :D

If you're feelin' sore tomorrow, enjoy this old pic - I think I took it in Myrtle Beach years ago....

freebirdmac
02-12-2011, 09:48 AM
My legs didn't get very sore after Tues, and they're not very sore this am. Not in the traditional sense anyway. There's more of a fatigue, achy feeling.

What I'm hating right now are all of these colds! This has been a horrible winter for colds!! I normally don't get so many, but it seems everyone has been suffering from more of them this winter. Bring on spring! Warm weather! I'm going through way too many tissue boxes :p

KevinCouch
02-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Awesome Job Pam!! 135 for 8 reps on Squats...Nice Going:yep:

partsRheavy
02-12-2011, 12:01 PM
I hope you didn't just get another cold and you're talking about the ones from a few weeks ago?!

freebirdmac
02-12-2011, 12:05 PM
I hope you didn't just get another cold and you're talking about the ones from a few weeks ago?!

The bug I had a few weeks ago was far worse. This is just garden variety sniffle crap. Seems everyone around here has had a bunch of colds this winter.

Muscgrows
02-12-2011, 07:01 PM
The bug I had a few weeks ago was far worse. This is just garden variety sniffle crap. Seems everyone around here has had a bunch of colds this winter.

Sorry your not feeling well.

freebirdmac
02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Chest and abs

Db incline press
20x10
25x10
30x10
35x8

Db incline flyes
20x10
25x10,8

Hoist press
90x10
100x8
110x4
50x10

Pullovers
35x10
40x10x2

Hanging leg raises (using sleeves), incline hip thrusts, flat hip thrusts, medicine ball v-crunches.

My daughter came down with the crud yesterday morning. It's the same thing I had and I swear it's flu-like. We got flu shots in Oct so it could be a mild case.

freebirdmac
02-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Leg Press
180x10
270x10
360x5
450x5
410x5
450x5
500x5
(the gym regular who helps me lock/unlock at the higher weights was late. Got some stranger to help me w/last set but didn't go for 6 plates again. Not sure I could have done it again this week. Legs were never sore, but achy. If that makes any sense)

140x8
180x8
230x5x2
(Again, didn't repeat the highest weight of last week. )

RDL's
135x8
155x5x2
(Short on highest weight here too)

Legs didn't go badly, given he aching I'm hoping it's growing pains :p

Bent over rows
65x10
85x10
105x8
115x8

Wide grip pulldowns
60x10
70x8
80x6

55x10
65x8
70x6
(upper weight)

Close grip pulldown
75x12
85x10
95x6

KevinCouch
02-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Leg Press
180x10
270x10
360x5
450x5
410x5
450x5
500x5
(the gym regular who helps me lock/unlock at the higher weights was late. Got some stranger to help me w/last set but didn't go for 6 plates again. Not sure I could have done it again this week. Legs were never sore, but achy. If that makes any sense)

140x8
180x8
230x5x2

RDL's
135x8
155x5x2

Bent over rows
65x10
85x10
105x8
115x8

Wide grip pulldowns
60x10
70x8
80x6

55x10
65x8
70x6
(upper weight)

Close grip pulldown
75x12
85x10
95x6

Pam! Those are some serious weights you pushin! Awesome workout.

Muscgrows
02-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Leg Press
180x10
270x10
360x5
450x5
410x5
450x5
500x5

140x8
180x8
230x5x2

RDL's
135x8
155x5x2

Bent over rows
65x10
85x10
105x8
115x8

Wide grip pulldowns
60x10
70x8
80x6

55x10
65x8
70x6
(upper weight)

Close grip pulldown
75x12
85x10
95x6

Awwweeeesoooommmmmeeeee! Love the numbers, especially leg press:yep:

axioma
02-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Wow, great numbers! Yes, the achy feeling IS growth. You are stimulating fibers deep, close to the bone! Way to go. PMd ya, btw.

freebirdmac
02-17-2011, 05:15 PM
I've been getting that "corned" feeling this past week. It really caught up with me yesterday and this morning. Yesterday I caught myself dozing off on the interstate! Out of the blue! Scared the crap out of me. This morning I felt like I was going to fall over so I stayed home and napped. Then went to the gym to try and help metabolize the crap out. I think my fairly recent nizatidine script has too much inert crap plus I've been using bananas to help me keep my cals up. The gas used to keep bananas fresh in shipping contains corn. I'm dumping both and contacting a compounding pharmacy tomorrow. Hopefully they can compound a nizaditine script without the stuff I can't have. Ordered some mac nuts on line as who knows when TJ's will get some in. I was down 0.5 pounds this week. Leaning out a bit may come sooner rather than later :(

Workout went well though.

Seated side laterals
12.5x10x3
(upped weight)

Seated front laterals
15x10x3
(upped weight)

Seated reverse flyes
15x15x3
(upped weight)

Incline rev flyes
15x10x3
(upped weight)

Smith wide upright rows
20x10
30x10x2
(upped weight)

Smith presses
30x12
40x10
50x8
(got extra reps at all weights)

Smith push press
40x8,7
(got extra reps)

10x30,15,15
(had a sharp pain in right shoulder area on last two sets. Dunno what that was)

V-bar press
x10, upped weight x8x2

Standing extensions
35x10,9,10

Db skull crushers
17.5x10x3

freebirdmac
02-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Wow, great numbers! Yes, the achy feeling IS growth. You are stimulating fibers deep, close to the bone! Way to go. PMd ya, btw.

I hope so! Lactic acid type soreness is fine, but this is a totally different kind of soreness.

freebirdmac
02-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Pam! Those are some serious weights you pushin! Awesome workout.

I'm happy with them :) I think lower body/back is my favorite workout.

Awwweeeesoooommmmmeeeee! Love the numbers, especially leg press:yep:

Ha! Feels good to push heavy weight around doesn't it :D

freebirdmac
02-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Squats
85x10
105x10
125x10
135x10 (all but last couple of reps were at a good depth)
155x8 (ok, these were definitely above parallel)
(I don't even know what to say, or think. I'm just going to take this breakthrough and run with it :D )

BB hip raises
65 x 10, 10, 10

BB lunges have been giving me issues. Hard to keep my balance and I was worried about screwing up my knees or stabilizers. Tried the Body Masters squat machine but did not like the body position. I never liked the Smith for lunges. I'll have to wait until I can hold db's again

70x10
75x10
80x10
85x10/8
(a couple of more reps at 85)

Abductor/adductor
75x10x4/135x10x4
(upped weight)

50x10
65x10
80x6
50x20

Leg press calves
180x20x4

BB curls
40x10
50x10
60x6,6

30x10,10,10

Lying wide curls
70x10
80x10
90x7
(testing these out again. Didn't feel too bad while I was doing them, but when sitting up and easing the weight back down at the end of the set really hurt. Not a good hurt.)

freebirdmac
02-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Yay! My macadamia nut order arrived. Maybe I can eat enough to keep my weight from dropping off.

joedemarco
02-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Squats
85x10
105x10
125x10
135x10 (all but last couple of reps were at a good depth)
155x8 (ok, these were definitely above parallel)
(I don't even know what to say, or think. I'm just going to take this breakthrough and run with it :D )

BB hip raises
65 x 10, 10, 10

BB lunges have been giving me issues. Hard to keep my balance and I was worried about screwing up my knees or stabilizers. Tried the Body Masters squat machine but did not like the body position. I never liked the Smith for lunges. I'll have to wait until I can hold db's again

70x10
75x10
80x10
85x10/8
(a couple of more reps at 85)

Abductor/adductor
75x10x4/135x10x4
(upped weight)

50x10
65x10
80x6
50x20

Leg press calves
180x20x4

BB curls
40x10
50x10
60x6,6

30x10,10,10

Lying wide curls
70x10
80x10
90x7
(testing these out again. Didn't feel too bad while I was doing them, but when sitting up and easing the weight back down at the end of the set really hurt. Not a good hurt.)

Congrats on the new P.R.s!

Sunnyday
02-18-2011, 10:08 PM

x2! Way to go, freebird!

freebirdmac
02-19-2011, 09:40 AM

x2! Way to go, freebird!

Thanks guys! I'm doing a happy dance :excited:

Today is my daughter's 19 birthday! Going to Outback tonight to celebrate. It's the one restaurant I can go to, eat, and not have food problems. Prime rib, plain sweet potato, and plain steamed broccoli. Yum!!!

Muscgrows
02-19-2011, 10:22 AM
[quote=freebirdmac;1336784]Thanks guys! I'm doing a happy dance :excited:

Today is my daughter's 19 birthday! Going to Outback tonight to celebrate. It's the one restaurant I can go to, eat, and not have food problems. Prime rib, plain sweet potato, and plain steamed broccoli. Yum!!![/quote

Way to go on the WO!:banana:Have a great night with your daughter.

freebirdmac
02-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Last mid-thigh measurement 11-29 was 19.5". This am it was 20 3/8". My legs are starting to look like they actually go to the gym. Still have a long way to go to even look like the figure girls.

Mac
02-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks guys! I'm doing a happy dance :excited:

Today is my daughter's 19 birthday! Going to Outback tonight to celebrate. It's the one restaurant I can go to, eat, and not have food problems. Prime rib, plain sweet potato, and plain steamed broccoli. Yum!!!

I just celebrated my daughter's birthday on the 17th. Mine's a bit older. As she stated, she in now in her 30s, not just 30 anymore. LOL

We usually go to the Outback, I love that place too. Steak, shrimp and rice.

Contrats on the thigh measurements going up!

tifflex
02-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Last mid-thigh measurement 11-29 was 19.5". This am it was 20 3/8". My legs are starting to look like they actually go to the gym. Still have a long way to go to even look like the figure girls.
You are doing well; good job!

Have fun at Outback:).

freebirdmac
02-19-2011, 03:49 PM
You are doing well; good job!

Have fun at Outback:).

I'm coming after you and your legs Tiff! Lookout!

:D

freebirdmac
02-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Outback dinner was awesome as usual. It's tough though to not eat a lot of their food. If there's ever a cure for food issues, I'll get fat as a pig in a month :p

I think I may have some nerve damage on my right wrist. On Tues when I did RDL's I used my versa grips as usual but apparently the padded area was folded over or something. I didn't feel it until I started setting up for bent over rows. I couldn't figure out at the time way my wrist hurt so much. Like it was skinned. On Wed I had a very nasty bruise on my wrist. Then on Thurs the bruise was barely noticeable but my hand really hurt. I figured I did something doing rows. It's really hurting tonight so I was checking it out and I think the hand pain is being referred from where the bruising was on my wrist. Where the thumb meets the side of the wrist. Yeesh. It's always something. Fortunately the hand pain didn't affect my workouts.

freebirdmac
02-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Reworking my chest routine with a focus on db's

Chest and abs

Db flat press
20x15
25x10
30x10
35x10

Db incline press
20x10
25x10
30x10
35x10

Db incline flyes
20x10
25x10,10

Db decline press
25x10
35x10

Seated incline cable flyes
10x3

Pullovers
35x10
40x8
45x6

Working on being able to get the 35# db's up by myself as I need to go even heavier. Tried the video trick posted here earlier as well as got the trainer over to give me tips. It'll take some practice but I've got to do this and not rely on others for help.

During one of the presses my right wrist started with that feeling like I had lost some skin. I adjusted my gloves and fortunately it stopped. Right now my hand feels fine. I really think I've got an annoyed nerve in there. Will hve to be careful doing RDLs tomorrow.

freebirdmac
02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Leg Press
180x10
270x10
360x5
450x5
500x5
540x5
(Back to my pr of a couple of weeks ago :) )

140x8
180x5
230x5x2

RDL's
135x8
155x5x2

Bent over rows
65x10
85x10
105x8
115x8

Wide grip pulldowns
60x10
70x8
80x6

(machine was occupied and stupid guy didn't flag me when he finished which meant someone else jumped in :mad: )

Close grip pulldown
75x12
85x10
95x6
(seated upright)

Cable rows
70x10
90x10
100x6

My RDL's are going nowhere. Presses and hacks just do me in. So I'm thinking about switching over to good mornings. Pick up RDL's later when I change my routine up :dunno:

Mike Conley
02-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Leg Press
180x10
270x10
360x5
450x5
500x5
540x5
(Back to my pr of a couple of weeks ago :) )

140x8
180x5
230x5x2

RDL's
135x8
155x5x2

Bent over rows
65x10
85x10
105x8
115x8

Wide grip pulldowns
60x10
70x8
80x6

(machine was occupied and stupid guy didn't flag me when he finished which meant someone else jumped in :mad: )

Close grip pulldown
75x12
85x10
95x6
(seated upright)

Cable rows
70x10
90x10
100x6

My RDL's are going nowhere. Presses and hacks just do me in. So I'm thinking about switching over to good mornings. Pick up RDL's later when I change my routine up :dunno:

Congrats on that. PR's make ya keep pushing.

Sunnyday
02-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Great work on leg press, freebird! Glad you are back to your previous PR!

freebirdmac
02-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Congrats on that. PR's make ya keep pushing.

Yes they do! And makes me feel like a failure on the days I can't get back to the weight.

Welcome to the forum btw!

Great work on leg press, freebird! Glad you are back to your previous PR!

Me too!

freebirdmac
02-23-2011, 08:33 AM
All this talk in other threads about knee wrapping has me thinking that it might be time for me to consider it on leg press. I've occasionally felt some knee twinges but they were never bad or lasted long. I'd like to keep it that way. Need to do some research.

axioma
02-23-2011, 09:30 AM
IMO: If you have a good base and have good stability, then wrapping your knees on 85% max and up is a good idea. You are not using it as a crutch and when you get in your 40's and older...who cares? Use the tools that enable you to continue to lift, progress and have some piece of mind.

There are a million ways to wrap, however try wrapping medium tight on a few sets to evaluate. http://www.prowriststraps.com/home is a great resource for wraps and wrapping examples. Everyone will have an opinion backed by some science, however it comes down to individual preference IF you don't have an imbalance or injury.

freebirdmac
02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
IMO: If you have a good base and have good stability, then wrapping your knees on 85% max and up is a good idea. You are not using it as a crutch and when you get in your 40's and older...who cares? Use the tools that enable you to continue to lift, progress and have some piece of mind.

There are a million ways to wrap, however try wrapping medium tight on a few sets to evaluate. http://www.prowriststraps.com/home is a great resource for wraps and wrapping examples. Everyone will have an opinion backed by some science, however it comes down to individual preference IF you don't have an imbalance or injury.

Ha! Work has that link blocked as "R" rated. Thanks Matt, I'll check it tonight.

axioma
02-23-2011, 10:00 AM
R just means " RRRRROOOCKIN!" I have no idea, never seen anything inappropriate. They have some bikini girls, but maybe they have a risque link or something.

Sunnyday
02-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Hmmm....always wondered whether I ought to start wrapping these aging knees of mine. Let me know what you think if you try wrapping.

Muscgrows
02-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Great job! What are RDL's??

freebirdmac
02-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Great job! What are RDL's??

Romanian Dead Lifts. Like straight leg deads but with more knee bend. No platform.

Muscgrows
02-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Romanian Dead Lifts. Like straight leg deads but with more knee bend. No platform.
Thanks lol! I realized that afterwards. I have seen videos on youtube, but, have not attempted them yet. Maybe next leg day.

freebirdmac
02-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Seated side laterals
12.5x10x3

Seated front laterals
15x10x3

Seated reverse flyes
15x15x3

Incline rev flyes
15x10x3

Smith wide upright rows
30x10x3

Smith presses
30x12
40x10
50x4

Smith push press
40x10x2

V-bar press
x10, upped weight x8x2

Standing extensions
35x10,10,7

Db skull crushers
20x10,10,7

Sunnyday
02-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Real nice work going on in here, freebird!

freebirdmac
02-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Not going to do my second leg workout this week. I feel this strength/hypertrophy routine has reached critical mass. My legs aren't recovering as quickly and feel too fatigued and achey to hit them again. I think I'll switch over to a different lower body routine next week. Mulling over how that'll look.

Rather than drive 20 minutes just to do bi's I'll do some pull ups here at home.

I get a massage tonight! I'm over due. I had an appointment two weeks ago but had to cancel to pick up a cat from the vet. Poor thing has mega colon and had to get the rotor rooter treatment.

Lastly, my daughter has a head cold from hell. It's devolved from an extremely runny nose/sore throat/cough to pretty much impacted sinuses. Got her some Afrin to help as nasonex wasn't cutting it. Holy crap I do not want to catch this!!!!! No, no, no!!!!

Sunnyday
02-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Good thoughts on rethinking the routine if your legs aren't recovering as you would hope. I find now that I am over 40 that none of my muscle groups seems to recover well if hit more than once per week, hence the abs all in one day, etc.

It seems that EVERYBODY around me has that upper respiratory thing your daughter has and I hear ya, I sooooooo don't want it! I'm just loading up on vitamin C like crazy, pushing fluids through a bit more than usual, trying to get to bed a bit earlier, washing my hands more frequently, etc. You know, all the stuff we're told to do but right now I'm bordering on OCD and that's fine by me if it means I avoid that bug.

freebirdmac
02-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Good thoughts on rethinking the routine if your legs aren't recovering as you would hope. I find now that I am over 40 that none of my muscle groups seems to recover well if hit more than once per week, hence the abs all in one day, etc.

It seems that EVERYBODY around me has that upper respiratory thing your daughter has and I hear ya, I sooooooo don't want it! I'm just loading up on vitamin C like crazy, pushing fluids through a bit more than usual, trying to get to bed a bit earlier, washing my hands more frequently, etc. You know, all the stuff we're told to do but right now I'm bordering on OCD and that's fine by me if it means I avoid that bug.

This routine works well for me. For awhile. Then it catches up to me. I was hoping to push it a few more weeks but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yeah, a lot of people have the crud. We need it to warm up and get this trash out of here. This winter has been bad. I think everyone has had their fill.

Sunnyday
02-25-2011, 03:38 PM
I love winter, but this year even I am looking ahead to spring.

freebirdmac
02-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Changing up my split/routine this week.

Chest/bi

Db flat press
25x10
30x10
35x10
40x8
(got all of these up by myself)

Db incline press
25x10
30x10
35x8
(had to get help getting the 35's up :mad: )

Db incline flyes
25x10x3

Db decline press
(wanted to do this, but no one around to hand up weights.)

10x3

Pullovers
35x10
40x10
45x3
(I was toast)

Db preacher curls
30x10x3

Cable curls ss w/alt incline curls
x10x2/15#x10x2

Concentration curl superset
Complete on one arm before doing the other
25#/15#/10# x 10/15/20 x 2

Sunnyday
02-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Niiiiicccccee work!

partsRheavy
02-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Good w/o! Hope your daughter is feeling better!!

freebirdmac
03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Quad abuse

Squats
barx10
85x10
105x10
125x10
135x10
155x8
115x10(can't say they felt good today. Only that I survived)

Superset unilateral extensions w/bulgarian squats

Unilateral extensions
70x10
75x10
90x10*
100x6/3
(*should have set the pins for 80. Didn't realize I had set to 90 until after the set. Oh well :) )

ss w/bulgarian squats
20#db's 10 each leg x 4

Leg press
90x15
180x15
270x15
(Uncle!!!)

Abductor/adductor
135/75 x 10 x 3

Over this past weekend I worked on a new split and had abs following quads. Bwahahaha! What a moron!

freebirdmac
03-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Seated side laterals
12.5x10x3

Seated front laterals
15x10x3

Seated reverse flyes
15x15x3

Incline rev flyes
15x10x3

Smith wide upright rows
30x10x3

Smith presses
30x12
40x10
50x6

Smith push press
40x10x3
(added another set)

V-bar press
x10, x8, x8
(upped weight on all 3 sets over last week)

Standing extensions
35x10,10,10

Db skull crushers
20x10,8,8

Bench dips
bw x 20 x 3

Medicine ball v-crunches

freebirdmac
03-04-2011, 05:13 PM
RDL's
135x10
155x8
165x5x2

BB hip thrusts
65x10x3

Lying leg curls
45x5 bilateral + 5 each leg unilateral
50x5 bilateral + 5 each leg unilateral
60x10 bilateral
65x8 bilateral

ss w/

Leg press calves
230x20x4

Bent over rows
65x10
85x10
105x10
115x8

Wide grip pulldowns
60x12
70x10
80x8
90x6

Cable rows, straight back, close grip
70x12
90x10
100x6

Close grip pulldown
75x12
85x10
95x6
(seated upright)

Cable rows
70x10
85x10
95x8
105x6

freebirdmac
03-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Had meetings back to back this am then a Dr appointment. Missed one of two meals at work. I could tell by the end of my chest workout :hypno:

Chest/bi

Db flat press
25x12
30x10
35x10
40x10
45x8
(got all but the 45's up by myself. The rolling technique works well, I was just too intimidated. Yes I let my mind phuk with me)

Db incline press
25x10
30x10
35x10
(had to get help getting the 35's up )

Db incline flyes
25x8,7,7x3
(tough on me today)

8x3
(also tough on me today)

Pullovers
35x10
40x10
45x6

Db preacher curls
30x10x3
(wanted the 35's, but none available)

Cable curls ss w/alt incline curls
x10x3/20#x5, 17.5 x 7,6
(went up on cable weight. Guess I need to go back to 15's on db's)

Concentration curl superset
Complete on one arm before doing the other
25#/15#/10# x 10/15/20 x 2

joedemarco
03-07-2011, 08:37 PM
It's tough training when you miss a scheduled meal. You did a great job though!

freebirdmac
03-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Squats
barx10
85x10
105x10
125x10
135x10
155x8
115x10
(still working on depth)

Superset unilateral extensions w/bulgarian squats

Unilateral extensions
70x10
80x10
90x10
100x7/6

ss w/bulgarian squats
20#db's 10 each leg x 4

Leg press
90x20
180x20
270x15

Abductor/adductor
135/75 x 10 x 3

Sunnyday
03-08-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm liking that ss! :yep:

Muscgrows
03-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm liking that ss! :yep:
x2 wow!

freebirdmac
03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Seated side laterals
15x10x3

Seated front laterals
15x10x3

Seated reverse flyes
15x15x3

Incline rev flyes
15x10x3

Smith presses PWO
30x12
40x8
50x3
(ugh)

Smith push press PWO
40x7x2
(another ugh)

Smith wide upright rows PWO
30x10x3

V-bar press
x10, x8, x8

Cable overhead ext
x10, x10,9

Db skull crushers
20x7x2
17.5x10
(I've been calling these skulls but I think they're lying extensions? Db's in each hand, elbows pointed at ceiling... :dunno: )

Bench dips
to failure 40, 30, 25

Straight leg lifts
Incline hip thrusts
Crunches

freebirdmac
03-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Weighed in at 122 at the gym. Up 13 pounds since first of Oct. Waist is only up an inch which for me usually equals 5 pounds of fat.

Three more weeks of bulking, then a lean out period. After that I think I'll do cycles of 6 week bulk/2 week lean out over the summer.

joedemarco
03-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Weighed in at 122 at the gym. Up 13 pounds since first of Oct. Waist is only up an inch which for me usually equals 5 pounds of fat.

Three more weeks of bulking, then a lean out period. After that I think I'll do cycles of 6 week bulk/2 week lean out over the summer.

That's some great gains, Pam! I like your plan too. Good luck.

Sunnyday
03-10-2011, 08:13 PM
^
x2! Nice gains & plan!

:yourock:

freebirdmac
03-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks. I've never done the short bulk/lean cycles before, but I have spent the summer doing a slow lean/recomp. I know how that goes and how little is truly gained. So I'll see how this works for me.

I'll post picts in 3 weeks at the end of this bulk. I'm curious to see what the picts say. I purposefully don't take picts often because I'm always disappointed. I'd rather stay happy with what I think I've gained :)

Sunnyday
03-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Tape measure can be your friend. Take some before & after measurements. I think they're far more helpful than the pics anyway.

freebirdmac
03-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Tape measure can be your friend. Take some before & after measurements. I think they're far more helpful than the pics anyway.

Yep. I have measurements. Well at least starting in Oct. We have a thread here where everyone was periodically posting their measurements. Then everyone started leaning out :p

freebirdmac
03-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Cable pull throughs
3x10 upping weight
(I still don't like these. I do not feel anything in my hammies)

Lying leg curls
50x5 bilateral + 5 each leg unilateral
60x5 bilateral + 3 each leg unilateral
70x10 bilateral
80x5 bilateral

ss w/

Leg press calves
230x20x4

BB hip thrusts
65x10
85x10x2

Rack pulls, bar just below knee
95x10
135x10x3
(Took it easy first time out)

Bent over rows
65x10
105x10
115x10

Wide grip pulldowns
70x12
80x10
90x8

Cable rows, straight back, close grip
70x12
90x10
100x8

Close grip pulldown
80x12
90x10
100x8
(seated upright)

Cable rows
85x12
95x10
105x8

fatbackgoal
03-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Solid workout, your back must be fried.

freebirdmac
03-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Solid workout, your back must be fried.

Yep. My back was done. Screwed up my copy/paste. That last set of cable rows shouldn't have been there.

Sunnyday
03-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I'd say you're feeling like fried chicken after that WO.

freebirdmac
03-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Grrrr. I've been "corned" :( I started a topical med to beat back my psoriasis a week ago and by this past weekend it was kicking my butt. The usual fatigue, joint pain, muscle soreness, etc had kicked in. Damn stuff was working really good too. Fortunately I can trade this spray for a lotion with better inert ingredients. Waiting to hear back from the doc. So I'll be missing chest/bi's as I know what that workout would be like under these conditions. My shoulders will probably appreciate it. Gotta detox for squats tomorrow!

Ok here's a rant, something that really, really upset me today, but first a bit of history. Six years ago the only food issue I had was with dairy. It bothered my IBS. Then I had an appointment with my gastro. I told her that my mom, mid-60's, had her first colonoscopy and they removed some polyps that contained pre-cancerous cells. If left to develop, in 10-15 years, they might be a slow-growing, familial type of colon cancer. My doc flipped out and wanted me to have one at 45. Ok, no biggie. For prep I was given visicol pills. Take 4 every 15 minutes and drink 8oz of gatorade/ginger ale, alternating the drinks until all 20 pills were taken. More pills and drink in the am. This prep is what TRIGGERED my current corn and sulfite allergies! I reacted! I felt so sick I almost wasted the prep. Not wanting to I dragged my ass in only to get hit by the preservative crap in the sedation drugs. After that procedure, things steadily went down hill. I started having more and more problems with foods. Upset stomach, fatigue, hives, wheezing, etc. A year later I was finally diagnosed with sulfite intolerance and corn allergy.

So fast forward to this am. My gastro doc left the area so I saw her partner who is also my mom's doc. I explained to her what happened 6 years ago and how I would not, could not, do a similar type prep. It was obvious from her reaction and everything that followed that she was clueless and that I'd have to check everything and that she was not going to take charge to make sure everything would be ok for me.

What really burned me up was when I asked about sedation drugs. I told her she'd have to make sure that they did not contain sulfites (very doable, I know). Her response? Use an anesthesiologist to administer propofol! Like heavy anesthesia, which also usually contains sulfites, and carries higher risks than demerol is a f'ing answer! If I had an asthma attack an anesthesiologist is worthless! I'd need a pulmonary specialist! Oh and I'd get to tell a nurse over the phone before the appointment my allergies and only talk to the anesthesiologist minutes before the procedure :cloud: Scary!!! And very upsetting to me as she is exactly the kind of doc that I fear will be in charge should I ever need emergency medical care.

I asked her if any IV's are used. Yes, saline. No glucose or dextrose? Why? You can't have glucose? Wtf??? Corn lady! Duh!

And I had to sit there while she educated me on GERD, long term effects, how endoscopes work, how colonoscopies work... I've had both and have been treating GERD for 25 f'ing years! Are you kidding me???

Needless to say I will not have anything, ever to do with that doc. Ironically, they use a different prep protocol now which probably would not have caused me to react 6 years ago. Bastards. I guess I'm lucky it's only food issues. The old prep left some on dialysis waiting on kidney transplants.

I hope I can find a gastro who understands my allergies, will take charge to make sure I'll be ok, and if lucky, uses a more holistic approach.

<------- FBM is in a really pissy mood right now

Mac
03-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Grrrr.

<snip>

<------- FBM is in a really pissy mood right now

I hate [most] doctors.

I hope you find the answers and the right doctor to supply them.

Sunnyday
03-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Freebird, I'm so sorry to read what you had to go through! Sure hope you find a doc soon who understands - i.e., who can THINK! Holistic doc sounds like the right way to go.

Muscgrows
03-14-2011, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=freebirdmac;1367706]Grrrr.
I am so sorry that happened to you. As a nurse, I cant believe some of the things that go on. you had no consult with anesthesia? given your allergies, they should have automatically had someone from respiratory therapy present! wow!

freebirdmac
03-14-2011, 08:12 PM
I am so sorry that happened to you. As a nurse, I cant believe some of the things that go on. you had no consult with anesthesia? given your allergies, they should have automatically had someone from respiratory therapy present! wow!

This was an office consult with the gastro doc. Even so, if I had agreed to everything the only other consult would have been the day of the procedure, with the anesthesiologist minutes prior to the procedure. No respiratory therapy representative.

Thank goodness I'm not an idiot.

Just told my mom the story. I told her that her gastro doc is a complete moron who I wouldn't let touch me with a 10 foot pole.

Muscgrows
03-14-2011, 08:23 PM
This was an office consult with the gastro doc. Even so, if I had agreed to everything the only other consult would have been the day of the procedure, with the anesthesiologist minutes prior to the procedure. No respiratory therapy representative.

Thank goodness I'm not an idiot.

Just told my mom the story. I told her that her gastro doc is a complete moron who I wouldn't let touch me with a 10 foot pole.
Thankfully you are knowledgeable. I don't know how many articles I read in my nursing magazines each month about incidents like these. I am glad you are okay.

daft205
03-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Really? I get the exact opposite effect- stuff makes me crazy hungry....

freebirdmac
03-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Whew! Starting to feel normal after being affected by the psoriasis spray :rolleyes: I think I'll stay off the stuff again tomorrow and try the lotion every other day. See if that will work.

Tomorrow is my normal rest day, car goes into the shop, and I need to do food shopping. So I'll pick up my workouts on Thurs and continue on. Quads, chest, and bi's get the short stick this week :(

joedemarco
03-15-2011, 09:53 PM
That story is exactly why it is so important for people to be educated about their particular conditions (like you are). No one should just walk into a doctor's office without reading up on their conditon, current treatment protocols, etc. It's bad enough most of us to this with mechanics and our cars. When it comes to our bodies (and health), it's a different story. You have to take your health care into your own hands.

Hope you find a doctor who can help. Hang in there.

partsRheavy
03-16-2011, 02:53 AM
This sort of thing is exactly why I don't trust most MD's!!!!!!

freebirdmac
03-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Ahhh, it's great to feel like myself again :D

I visit another bb site regularly. We frequently have "trainers" on the site asking for dieting help for themselves or training help for their clients. It stuns me every time! I know a lot of trainers are crap for most of us. I see what the trainers at my gym are like. But really? Go to a website and openly admit you are a trainer and ask these questions????? You'd think they'd at least hide the fact that they are trainers and just get the info (that they should already know). I'd be embarrassed as hell!

I certainly understand furthering one's knowledge by picking brains, but we're talking basic 101 stuff. I just don't get it.

Sunnyday
03-16-2011, 09:37 PM
I nearly fell out of my chair when my mother-in-law told me she was a certified trainer. Understand she is in her 70s (and old/unhealthy-looking), at LEAST 60 lbs. overweight, pre-diabetic, poor overall health, knows ZERO about nutrition, knows ZERO about exercise, knows ZERO about muscle gain or fat loss.

It's the classic case of the blind leading the blind.

Muscgrows
03-16-2011, 09:43 PM
I nearly fell out of my chair when my mother-in-law told me she was a certified trainer. Understand she is in her 70s (and old/unhealthy-looking), at LEAST 60 lbs. overweight, pre-diabetic, poor overall health, knows ZERO about nutrition, knows ZERO about exercise, knows ZERO about muscle gain or fat loss.

It's the classic case of the blind leading the blind.

LMBO! That is hilarious. :lmao: I had a 500 lb. patient recently tell me that he was a fitness guru.

Sunnyday
03-16-2011, 09:59 PM
LMBO! That is hilarious. :lmao: I had a 500 lb. patient recently tell me that he was a fitness guru.

Probably knows my mother-in-law! :hypno:

What is WRONG with ppl like my mother-in-law who say they've been on a diet their whole life and can't seem to lose the weight AND then in the same breath tell you they're a trainer? I'd be too embarrassed to speak up & say I went through the certification just to find out I can't even get myself to look the part! :hypno::hypno::hypno:

BTW, she'll be here in May for a visit! I'll be about 2 weeks out from my show and lookin' stage-ready! Heh. Bring it.

freebirdmac
03-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Phfftt, the other site is getting stupid. I posted a thread providing links to sites taking donations to help the animals/pets in Japan. It was deleted. All donation requests have to be pre-approved by an admin :hypno:

I could understand if I were asking for some sort of personal donation, and I did admonish that I had no first hand experience with the orgs I linked to. But damn! I updated the thread and gave a link to an msnbc page which listed orgs for people and animals. Two out of three unknown orgs I listed were there. What the heck are the admins going to do? Verify each org? Yeah. Right.

freebirdmac
03-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Oh, for anyone interested

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/11/6246445-japans-earthquake-how-to-help

freebirdmac
03-17-2011, 05:38 PM
So this week appears to be a bust :( Felt great yesterday afternoon. Woke up this am achy and fatigued. Obviously I need to detox more. I've been overexposed to the point where normal exposure puts me over my tolerance levels.

Looking at the ingredients for the lotion version of this psoriasis med, it is better than the spray, but still contains several ingredients that might contain corn. I may just have to suck it up until I get these patches to heal. If that's the case, I'll stop this bulk a couple of weeks early and use the time to lose a bit of fluff and try to maintain what muscle I've gained these past several months.

fatbackgoal
03-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Keep your head up and hope you feel better!

freebirdmac
03-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Feeling about 80-percent. Even though I haven't used the psoriasis meds in a week, it sure has had lingering effects. It also seemed to have left me hypersensitive as foods that didn't bother me before have bothered me. Hopefully that will resolve this week. I don't need an even shorter food list :hypno:

Got an abbreviated workout in. Just as I was getting started I got a call from daughter. Work was slow and they were letting her go early. So I had to rush.

flat db press
incline press
incline flyes
db pullovers
superset cable curls w/spider curls

freebirdmac
03-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Quad fun!

Went in today to try some different things.

Sumo bench squats. This was fun :eek: Found a bench that put me right at parallel. Worked up to 95 sorry ass pounds. I could really feel it in the adductors. In fact, I cut it short as I felt too much of a tweak in my right adductor on one rep. Simply humbling.

Squat ups. Went into the cage and set the rails for as close to parallel as possible. Squat down, let the bar rest on the rails, then power up. Or try. Holy crap! I was having trouble with 10's on each end of the bar! I also think it's really easy to lose form on these.

Sissy squats. I felt so sheepish about failing badly I supersetted these with squat ups. Never done these before. Did 3 sets of 8 holding a 10# plate.

Leg extensions ss w/ bulgarian squats

High rep leg press

So... I was thinking that I should do squats first, then do sumo box squats. I don't want to move to box squats with a regular stance until I try sumos a few more times. I also don't want to do box squats instead of normal squats as my quads don't get a good workout. What do you guys think?

joedemarco
03-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Quad fun!

Went in today to try some different things.

Sumo bench squats. This was fun :eek: Found a bench that put me right at parallel. Worked up to 95 sorry ass pounds. I could really feel it in the adductors. In fact, I cut it short as I felt too much of a tweak in my right adductor on one rep. Simply humbling.

Squat ups. Went into the cage and set the rails for as close to parallel as possible. Squat down, let the bar rest on the rails, then power up. Or try. Holy crap! I was having trouble with 10's on each end of the bar! I also think it's really easy to lose form on these.

Sissy squats. I felt so sheepish about failing badly I supersetted these with squat ups. Never done these before. Did 3 sets of 8 holding a 10# plate.

Leg extensions ss w/ bulgarian squats

High rep leg press

So... I was thinking that I should do squats first, then do sumo box squats. I don't want to move to box squats with a regular stance until I try sumos a few more times. I also don't want to do box squats instead of normal squats as my quads don't get a good workout. What do you guys think?

Glad to see you back in the gym Pam!

The box squats are an excellent exercise and should be just as brutal on your legs as regular squats. Stance really doesn't matter. Work them sumo and regular.

The most important thing on the box squat is to come down slowly. Never bounce onto the box. I know it sounds stupid to even mention that, however once fatigue sets in, people have a tendency to start bouncing off the box. As a little bit of a safety, put a piece of foam on the box.

The box squat will actually make your regular squat stronger and get you use to going deep.

Good luck!

freebirdmac
03-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Glad to see you back in the gym Pam!

The box squats are an excellent exercise and should be just as brutal on your legs as regular squats. Stance really doesn't matter. Work them sumo and regular.

The most important thing on the box squat is to come down slowly. Never bounce onto the box. I know it sounds stupid to even mention that, however once fatigue sets in, people have a tendency to start bouncing off the box. As a little bit of a safety, put a piece of foam on the box.

The box squat will actually make your regular squat stronger and get you use to going deep.

Good luck!

Thanks Joe! I was following the video Mike had posted where you actually sit down and back before pushing up. So there is zero bouncing. All momentum is lost. We don't have boxes so I used a bench, which does have padding.

I guess I feel my quads get a bye as I can't lift as much as I can with back squats. Obviously my posterior needs strengthening. Which box squats work.

freebirdmac
03-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Here's the video

Ue_GrU4mhqc

Sunnyday
03-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Cool WO! Psyched to try some of these on my next leg day, whenever that is.

freebirdmac
03-23-2011, 07:08 PM
My quads are sore as hell! I have no doubt it was the sissy squats. No doubt some of the soreness is simply from never doing them before. But, I do believe I'll be keeping these in my routine :)

Sunnyday
03-23-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm salivating just thinking about adding them to my WO after reading about them from you and Suzanne! Can't wait to get my legs that sore!

freebirdmac
03-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Shoulders/tri/abs

Seated side raises ss w/ seated front raises
Seated bent over flyes
Incline reverse flyes
Smith press
Smith push-press
Smith wide upright rows

V-bar pushdown
Overhead cable
DB lying extensions (or skull crushers, whichever they're called)

Hanging straight leg raises
Incline hip thrusts
Crunches

This whole week I've done either one less set or only went up to just below my normal highest weight. I feel really good but after a week off I always struggle a bit. I envy those who come back after a week off and hit PRs.

My detox diet has me in a deficit. Even though I didn't work out last week I'm down 1.5 pounds over two weeks. Next week was to be my last bulking week before a brief lean out period so I'll just start early. I hope to get some picts and measurements up this weekend.

Hammerfit
03-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks Joe! I was following the video Mike had posted where you actually sit down and back before pushing up. So there is zero bouncing. All momentum is lost. We don't have boxes so I used a bench, which does have padding.

I guess I feel my quads get a bye as I can't lift as much as I can with back squats. Obviously my posterior needs strengthening. Which box squats work.

These are great for increasing your regular squat strength. What most peeps fall into is beautifying their quad sweep and neglete their hamstring. Lisa did this as well and now I have her just focusing on her hams, everything is wide in the front part of training then she can do some quad work at the end. After exhausting you hams try getting a lighter bar and get into a stance as wide as possible and rep out to failure. It's best to have someone behind you to place and remove the bar. (and to catch you before you fall);)

freebirdmac
03-25-2011, 11:03 AM
These are great for increasing your regular squat strength. What most peeps fall into is beautifying their quad sweep and neglete their hamstring. Lisa did this as well and now I have her just focusing on her hams, everything is wide in the front part of training then she can do some quad work at the end. After exhausting you hams try getting a lighter bar and get into a stance as wide as possible and rep out to failure. It's best to have someone behind you to place and remove the bar. (and to catch you before you fall);)

Yeah, I remember you telling me it was my hams a few months ago :p

I think I need to rework my split a bit. I was moving to a quad/ham split but this type of work on quad day with another ham day doesn't make as much sense. Think after this week of playing around I'll go back to legs 2x week. Just change up the exercises and reps.

Hammerfit
03-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I remember you telling me it was my hams a few months ago :p

I think I need to rework my split a bit. I was moving to a quad/ham split but this type of work on quad day with another ham day doesn't make as much sense. Think after this week of playing around I'll go back to legs 2x week. Just change up the exercises and reps.

You can hit em twice a week doing them together, just try alternating so you don't fatigue one before the other gets a chance to get good quality volume in. Here's an example of Lisa's split, I wish I could get her to post but she wont. She likes to stay in background.

uni leg ext 2-4 sets for warup
sumo stance bb back squats
wide stance leg press or suicide squats - always high reps much more effective than doing 6-12 on last set use your heaviest weight that you can do 12-15 reps for then rest pause (15 seconds or less) and keep going until you get 20 reps in then strip one plate at a time and hit 20 reps with each weight until you can not move the sled or bar at all. This is brutal stuff but if you want to improve the very large hamstring you are going to have to torch it.
uni leg ext 4 sets of 20-25
unil leg curls 4 sets 0f 20-25
standing lunges w DB or BB 12- 20 reps keep adding weight - for more emphasis on quads smaller step out
SLDL - ALWAYS include these, a womans best friend
walking lunges w BB or DB until you drop

on alternating weeks she will do quad dominant which is switching back squats for front squats and doing the suicides or leg press with feet closer together and lower on platform

freebirdmac
03-25-2011, 01:25 PM
You can hit em twice a week doing them together, just try alternating so you don't fatigue one before the other gets a chance to get good quality volume in. Here's an example of Lisa's split, I wish I could get her to post but she wont. She likes to stay in background.

wide stance leg press or suicide squats - always high reps much more effective than doing 6-12 on last set use your heaviest weight that you can do 12-15 reps for then rest pause (15 seconds or less) and keep going until you get 20 reps in then strip one plate at a time and hit 20 reps with each weight until you can not move the sled or bar at all. This is brutal stuff but if you want to improve the very large hamstring you are going to have to torch it.
standing lunges w DB or BB 12- 20 reps keep adding weight - for more emphasis on quads smaller step out

on alternating weeks she will do quad dominant which is switching back squats for front squats and doing the suicides or leg press with feet closer together and lower on platform

You've given me some great ideas! Thanks! I too wish Lisa would post. I could learn a lot from her routines.

Sunnyday
03-25-2011, 03:12 PM

TRUTH!!

I read somewhere a while back of a ham tri-set like this: seated leg curls, SLDLs, and lying leg curls. This post reminded me I need to try this out.

freebirdmac
03-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Standing ham curls - used the kneeling curl machine, stood on 25# plates. Should work ok.

Seated ham curls
BB hip raises
Good mornings

Rack deads
Bent over rows
Wide grip pull downs
Reverse grip seated cable rows

freebirdmac
03-25-2011, 05:06 PM
BTW, I love my RDL's, which some call straight leg deads. I'm at a point where I wasn't progressing so I'm doing rack deads to build up my lower back. Then I'll go back to RDL's.

freebirdmac
03-25-2011, 10:43 PM
I watched Terminator 2 tonight for the first time in forever. Probably since its release. Back then I though Linda Hamilton was really buff. My how things have changed :) Oh and Arnold was too covered up :(

Sunnyday
03-25-2011, 11:33 PM
^Too funny! I thought the same thing about Linda Hamilton back then!