PDA

View Full Version : Freebird's Lean Bulk

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

freebirdmac
12-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Ok, since I pester everyone else in their threads I figured I should start one myself. I've never done a journal, never felt the need or wanted to take the time. Anyway, to make a long story short... didn't work out for 15+ years while being the only parent, stayed at a good body weight, didn't realize fat was replacing muscle, then developed food intolerances to milk protein, sulfites, and gluten as well as an allergy to corn. Weight plummeted to 102 as I struggled to figure out what I could eat. Finally got some safe foods together and gained back 10 pounds. All fat of course. Oh, also became hypothyroid. So 2 years ago I was a poster child for skinny fat. All of 112 pounds of walking jello on a toothpick.

So I spent 1.5 years switching between gaining muscle and losing fat. Going by my measurements I figure I swapped out a good 12-15 pounds of fat for muscle. Since July 09 it's been all about a lean bulk. The picts in my album are at the start of the bulk. I'll post up more after the holidays to mark 6 months. So far I'm up 4 pounds. I did lose about 7 weeks due to life happening and not getting as many workouts in. Lost a pound during that time. But that's ok. Shit happens.

Up until this week my workout partner and I were on a 2 day split which we did twice a week. Starting this week it'll be something like;
Mon: Chest/Quads
Tues: Back/Hams/Glutes
Thurs: Shoulders/Quads
Fri: Arms, Traps

We're still figuring out the split and where to add some calves, abductor/adductor, and cable crunches. We rarely work abs directly but this time we're going to try and at least stick to cable crunches :)

Oh, my workout partner started out as my trainer. It morphed into wo partners about 9 months after I started working with him.

So there's some background. My goal is simply to gain mass. I'd like to add a good 2 inches to my quads. I want to add everywhere else too I just don't have the predetermined size in mind.

freebirdmac
12-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Monday's workout:

Chest:
bb flat bench 65x12
85x12
95x10
105x8
115x6 (w/a bit of help for last two)
85x12

bb decline bench 65x12
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x6
85x12
(and here I thought decline would suck after already doing flat)

db incline 25x12
30x10
35x8
40x6 (ready for 45)
(just so ya know, I do not get the db up by myself. Max helps me get them in position)

cable flyes 30x10
35x8
40x6 (35 was easy, this was hard)

Quads:

Leg press (PWO): 180x12
230x10
270x10
320x10
360x8
410x6 (ready for 460 but also felt this set in lower back)
(this is a 45 degree machine, feet mid way up, about shoulder width, going low)

Extension: 110x10 (toes out)
110x10 (toes in)
120x10 (toes straight)
(we do these last but tonight someone was on the machine we needed next)

Vertical press: 140x10
PWO 180x10
230x8
270x6
(Haven't done these in over a year. Using a Matrix (Smith-like), lying on a bench, feet shoulder width)

bodyhard
12-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Let me be the first to wish you luck on the journal, although I do not agree with that split. Good luck anyways looking forward to the progress pics for constructive criticism.

freebirdmac
12-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I have a new nano that takes video. Fun!

Here's my wo partner doing his second set of cable flyes:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PrUcbXuuAaY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PrUcbXuuAaY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

freebirdmac
12-07-2009, 08:37 PM
And my second set on cable flyes (I did better at filming than Max)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RTOJ4ppFBRw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RTOJ4ppFBRw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

freebirdmac
12-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Let me be the first to wish you luck on the journal, although I do not agree with that split. Good luck anyways looking forward to the progress pics for constructive criticism.

Thanks John! We've done several different programs, we'll see how this goes. One thing about having a workout partner, you gotta negotiate workout routines.

gman
12-07-2009, 08:49 PM
congrats for taking the plunge on a journal, Pam. It's going to be a good one, I know.

Baldie has been complaining about no hardcore people posting in the Masters' section, but there is one now.

I also get to do a little payback!

PS- what are Max's stats, height, weight etc? Just curious, he looks great.

freebirdmac
12-07-2009, 08:57 PM
congrats for taking the plunge on a journal, Pam. It's going to be a good one, I know.

Baldie has been complaining about no hardcore people posting in the Masters' section, but there is one now.

I also get to do a little payback!

PS- what are Max's stats, height, weight etc? Just curious, he looks great.

I don't know about hardcore, but I do take this seriously for myself.

Max is 44, about 5'7" and I think 165. He's like bodyhard, he can eat until the cows come home and stay very lean. He weighed 112 when he graduated from high school. Lifetime natural too.

He has competed before and won when he did. He blew his knee out (torn acl) playing bball a few years back. So training legs is tough. If he can bring his legs back up he might compete again. But the surgeon told him, mess the knee up again and he'll be in a wheelchair.

blu2xtreme
12-07-2009, 09:02 PM
I was wondering when you would get around to this.

Glad to have another woman posting a journal here...
hard to learn anything from these guys:p

gman
12-07-2009, 09:07 PM
I don't know about hardcore, but I do take this seriously for myself.

Max is 44, about 5'7" and I think 165. He's like bodyhard, he can eat until the cows come home and stay very lean. He weighed 112 when he graduated from high school. Lifetime natural too.

He has competed before and won when he did. He blew his knee out (torn acl) playing bball a few years back. So training legs is tough. If he can bring his legs back up he might compete again. But the surgeon told him, mess the knee up again and he'll be in a wheelchair.

Good story, it's nice to know about him. He does look bigger than 165, which proves lean and muscular looks bigger

Down4whatever
12-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Kick ass Pam!!! I'm in!!!!

Baldiewonkanobi
12-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Whoa...just a minute here baby girl....do you get carded a lot?

You are pure spunk and will be fun to watch.

Baldie

tifflex
12-07-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm in:yep:.

fatbackgoal
12-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Way to get it going. Good job on first realizing you needed to make a change then going out and making that change. Best of luck and look forward to watching the journey.

Sledge
12-08-2009, 07:23 AM
Great to see another masters log up and running.

freebirdmac
12-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I was wondering when you would get around to this.

Glad to have another woman posting a journal here...
hard to learn anything from these guys:p

It is good to see what others are doing. Although everyone is different it can give you some sort of an idea as to how you're doing.

Good story, it's nice to know about him. He does look bigger than 165, which proves lean and muscular looks bigger

Most definitely. In clothes he doesn't look very impressive. But as soon as the shirt comes off he gains a lot of haters (men) and a lot of droolers (women) :)

Kick ass Pam!!! I'm in!!!!

Yes sir!!

Whoa...just a minute here baby girl....do you get carded a lot?

You are pure spunk and will be fun to watch.

Baldie

Ha! I wish I could look that young.
Hope I can live up to the expectations some here have for this forum.

I'm in:yep:.

Hi Tiffany! Glad to have one of my inspirations here :D

Way to get it going. Good job on first realizing you needed to make a change then going out and making that change. Best of luck and look forward to watching the journey.

Thanks! It is a journey. A lifelong journey.

Great to see another masters log up and running.

Heh, the masters thing cracks me up. I'm not a master at this stuff. But I guess it's better than calling the forum "The old folks home". :p

AnglicanBeachParty
12-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Subscribed!

freebirdmac
12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Subscribed!

Welcome!

blu2xtreme
12-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Loved your videos :)
Keep them coming

I need a gym ...bad :drool:
Maybe after my Columbus trip

freebirdmac
12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Back and traps.

Back:

Bent over rows, overhand grip
65x12
75x12
85x10
95x8
105x6 (very tough, Max aided)

Pull ups
body weight x 12
10# x 10 x 2
(wanted to go to 15# on last set but went for more rom instead)

Seated rows, close grip
70x10
75x8
80x6
(go up next week)

Wide grip lat pulldown

65x10
70x8
75x6
(felt weak on these, lats were giving out at neck instead of chest)

FreeMotion cable pull downs
60x10
70x8
80x6
(probably can go up next week. Machine only has 10# increments)

Traps:

I stopped working traps directly a month ago. The previous 2 day split twice a week took a toll on them. It had gotten to the point where they were never not sore. With this new split I expect to pick them up again after another week.

So instead Max suggested I try doing some glute specific exercises.

Cable kickbacks
40x12
45x10
50x8
55x6

Tried bb glute bridges lying on the floor. Wasn't impressed. Would need to try with neck/shoulder on a bench for more rom.

The gym has a so-called but blaster machine, but it's horizontal. All I feel is quads. I didn't bother.

I apparently didn't get the split Max was forming. Or more likely he hadn't finished forming it in his head last night :) So it looks like Mon - chest/quads, Tues - back/traps, Thurs - shoulders/hams, Fri - arms. Still working on where to place calves, abductors/adductors, and abs. We'll figure it out.

I have to say this is a very different split from anything I've done. I've always worked at least 3 body parts and haven't worked legs once a week in almost 2 years. This seems like a vacation! Although I know it's not. I should be able to hit each body part even harder than before.

I already know I'm adding hack squats to quad day and good mornings to back day.

freebirdmac
12-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Loved your videos :)
Keep them coming

I need a gym ...bad :drool:
Maybe after my Columbus trip

Ha! I wanted to get us doing pull ups tonight, but Max wore a sleeveless shirt instead of a tank so you couldn't see back muscles. I'll remind him next week.

I might get some shoulders, biceps curls, and dips later this week.

gman
12-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Great training Pam!

I look forward to the day I can do 12 pullups, too!

blu2xtreme
12-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Great training :)

Cool on the pull ups ...
still dreaming of the day I can do them unassisted

gman
12-08-2009, 09:00 PM

Cool on the pull ups ...

keep working, it will just happen one day. Once your brain finally figures out what muscles to fire, it just happens. Just keep pulling and pulling with all your might every time, and one of the times, you will just pop up there

Took me almost a two years to do an unassisted pullup

freebirdmac
12-08-2009, 09:11 PM

Cool on the pull ups ...

Mike's right. Keep trying. Do negatives. One day you'll just surprise yourself :)

gman
12-08-2009, 09:15 PM
People can tell you a hundred different ways to make it happen. The one that worked for me was Old Supe telling me to try to get my chest to go up first, not my shoulders. It must have made me pull with the correct muscles because it worked.

Read all the tips you can find on it, one of them might click with you like that, Blu

blu2xtreme
12-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Mike's right. Keep trying. Do negatives. One day you'll just surprise yourself :)

People can tell you a hundred different ways to make it happen. The one that worked for me was Old Supe telling me to try to get my chest to go up first, not my shoulders. It must have made me pull with the correct muscles because it worked.

Read all the tips you can find on it, one of them might click with you like that, Blu

Been doing both .. getting a little better at it
one day it will happen - guarantee you will both know about it with minutes:)

partsRheavy
12-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Hey Freebird ----

Great to see your journal, and Dang! Your...

-pullups
-weights
-training partner

are all impressive!!!!!

freebirdmac
12-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Hey Freebird ----

Great to see your journal, and Dang! Your...

-pullups
-weights
-training partner

are all impressive!!!!!

Glad to have you join in!

freebirdmac
12-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Wed is off day. I thought about doing the stairmaster, took a nap instead :D

blu2xtreme
12-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Wed is off day. I thought about doing the stairmaster, took a nap instead :D

I need to learn how to enjoy my off days...already miss training and I have only been home 30 mins
I'd do some cardio but already did that at 4:30 am

freebirdmac
12-09-2009, 09:21 PM
I need to learn how to enjoy my off days...already miss training and I have only been home 30 mins
I'd do some cardio but already did that at 4:30 am

I miss training on most off days. Especially on Sundays. One day is fine. Two in a row (Sat and Sun) and my body starts talking to me. I get antsy to lift something. And a vacuum doesn't count or help :)

I needed the nap more than I needed cardio. I don't get enough sleep during the workweek.

bodyhard
12-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Back and traps.

Back:

65x12
75x12
85x10
95x8
105x6 (very tough, Max aided)

Pull ups
body weight x 12
10# x 10 x 2
(wanted to go to 15# on last set but went for more rom instead)

Seated rows, close grip
70x10
75x8
80x6
(go up next week)

Wide grip lat pulldown

65x10
70x8
75x6
(felt weak on these, lats were giving out at neck instead of chest)

FreeMotion cable pull downs
60x10
70x8
80x6
(probably can go up next week. Machine only has 10# increments)

Traps:

I stopped working traps directly a month ago. The previous 2 day split twice a week took a toll on them. It had gotten to the point where they were never not sore. With this new split I expect to pick them up again after another week.

So instead Max suggested I try doing some glute specific exercises.

Cable kickbacks
40x12
45x10
50x8
55x6

Tried bb glute bridges lying on the floor. Wasn't impressed. Would need to try with neck/shoulder on a bench for more rom.

The gym has a so-called but blaster machine, but it's horizontal. All I feel is quads. I didn't bother.

I apparently didn't get the split Max was forming. Or more likely he hadn't finished forming it in his head last night :) So it looks like Mon - chest/quads, Tues - back/traps, Thurs - shoulders/hams, Fri - arms. Still working on where to place calves, abductors/adductors, and abs. We'll figure it out.

I have to say this is a very different split from anything I've done. I've always worked at least 3 body parts and haven't worked legs once a week in almost 2 years. This seems like a vacation! Although I know it's not. I should be able to hit each body part even harder than before.

I already know I'm adding hack squats to quad day and good mornings to back day.

Nice!!

freebirdmac
12-10-2009, 05:59 AM
I hate my daughter today. Actually I hated her last night and told her so. It's all a blur....

She had her first college term paper due today. And was not ready. I pulled an all-nighter with her. She has to work at 7:20, class at 12:30, then she can pass out. I'm going to pass out after I take her to work, skipping my work and workout. Max has a banquet tonight and was going to be a no-show anyway. If he's available we'll do Fri/Sat instead of Thurs/Fri this week. If not, I'll do Fri/Sat :D

I never even pulled an all-nighter studying or preparing a term paper when I was in college. Now partying while in college is a different story :p

Baldiewonkanobi
12-10-2009, 06:17 AM
"I pulled an all-nighter with her"...huh? She kept you awake? What is she studying...tuba, drums?

Baldie

freebirdmac
12-10-2009, 07:34 AM
"I pulled an all-nighter with her"...huh? She kept you awake? What is she studying...tuba, drums?

Baldie

She needed help. And a few pushes to keep her moving and awake. She's not a chip off of this block when it comes to academics. Smart enough, but a terrible procrastinator. Needed formatting help with MS Word as well.

Baldiewonkanobi
12-10-2009, 07:50 AM
You need REM sleep and precious HGH happening. Grow girl grow.

OK...grumpy Old School grandpa Baldie says pushes are fine.

I am always on my daughters who coddle my grandkids. My son however is an A hole like me. He sent his son off to UMich and daughter to UOregon with the instructions "You two are on your own from here on out...3.0 no less, or you come home and get a job and go to community college at night". Both are close to 4.0s and grandson graduates in Sports Management here in about 5 months. He has a job with a major NBA sports agent waiting. His sister already is doing special needs teaching, her chosen profession.

Grandpa Baldie

gman
12-10-2009, 10:05 AM
contrast that with my oldest who will graduate in May from UVA with a 3.0 in econ/philosophy, but has absolutely no job prospects and will probably go to Costa Rica and play poker for a living

freebirdmac
12-10-2009, 10:30 AM
You need REM sleep and precious HGH happening. Grow girl grow.

OK...grumpy Old School grandpa Baldie says pushes are fine.

I am always on my daughters who coddle my grandkids. My son however is an A hole like me. He sent his son off to UMich and daughter to UOregon with the instructions "You two are on your own from here on out...3.0 no less, or you come home and get a job and go to community college at night". Both are close to 4.0s and grandson graduates in Sports Management here in about 5 months. He has a job with a major NBA sports agent waiting. His sister already is doing special needs teaching, her chosen profession.

Grandpa Baldie

I hear what you're saying. She started a paid job last month. Worked 7am-6pm Tues and Wed. Had to work 7am-12 today before class. Tomorrow will be 7-6 again. I know her ass is dragging the floor. If this doesn't teach her to work in advance I doubt anything will. The choice of going to bed and most likely finding out the paper wasn't long enough with formatting errors or losing sleep and a day of work to help her out seemed obvious. Bad paper = bad grade = retaking class = more money. She wasn't happy that she had to use Mom's help. If she had tried to con or coerce me into doing her work I'd have told her good luck and gone to bed. But I will say my patience is not always in such large supply. I suggested a few months ago that she simply work until she decides what she wants to do for a career and puts the corresponding effort into college. That may still come to pass.

freebirdmac
12-10-2009, 10:32 AM
contrast that with my oldest who will graduate in May from UVA with a 3.0 in econ/philosophy, but has absolutely no job prospects and will probably go to Costa Rica and play poker for a living

Yeah, it's tough to get that degree and not be able to use it. I think it's still better than not having one and spending 4 years working minimum wage with no real career aspirations.

freebirdmac
12-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Woke up from a nap, eating, checking work emails, checking forums, then back to a nap.

blu2xtreme
12-10-2009, 10:56 AM

Actually ...he's the smart one , have fun now when your young
so you don't regret it later

gman
12-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Yeah, it's tough to get that degree and not be able to use it. I think it's still better than not having one and spending 4 years working minimum wage with no real career aspirations.

I don't know....it takes a long time to make up 80k it cost to go, plus the 40k you would have earned if you hadn't gone.

freebirdmac
12-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Last night's workout tonight, tonight's workout tomorrow am.

Shoulders:

Seated front bb press (Matrix)
65x12
75x12
85x10
95x8

Seated rear bb press (Matrix)
65x12
75x10
80x8

BB front raises
20x12x3
(Haven't done these in months, felt like it too)

Pec/Reverse flye machine
40x12
45x10
50x8
(started out doing seated db reverse flyes and immediately got a cramp just below and to the left of the belly button. Felt like I had a golf ball alien in there. Fortunately it stretched out quickly but I moved to the machine. Same thing happened a couple of months ago doing tricep kickbacks. It's not a hydration thing. Dunno what causes it. But db reverse flyes are now on the shelf with kickbacks)

Hams

RDLs
115x12
125x10
135x8
145x6
(had wanted the last two sets at 10 and 8 reps to get set for upping the weight. Soon)

Kneeling one-legged ham curls
50x12
60x10
70x8
(hams were giving out the last couple of reps. No 4th set)

Seated ham curls
65x12
75x10
85x8
(done. no 4th set here either)

Abductor/adductor
120x12x3/60x12x3
(still rehabbing groin pull. taking adductor weight light and increasing very slowly)

blu2xtreme
12-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey Pam are you going to journal your food too
it might help if I could see what other girls are eating.
I have had a bad time of it this last few days getting food in.
It's cold and nothing seems appealing except coffee -
I did have oatmeal and whey for meal 1.

freebirdmac
12-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Hey Pam are you going to journal your food too
it might help if I could see what other girls are eating.
I have had a bad time of it this last few days getting food in.
It's cold and nothing seems appealing except coffee -
I did have oatmeal and whey for meal 1.

No. Since I am intolerant to milk protein, sulfites, and gluten plus allergic to corn my diet is very limited and repetitive. I eat the foods listed below daily with just a few exceptions. How many cals and macros just means larger or smaller portions.

Daily:
McCann's oatmeal, Domino's granulated sugar, home roasted decaf coffee, Trader Joe's sunflower butter, Trader Joe's boneless chicken breasts, asparagus, yellow squash, zucchini, sea salt, Carapelli olive oil, sweet potato, and Trader Joe's 73% dark chocolate.

Occasionally:
Fresh caught tuna, wild salmon (frozen), steak, buffalo burger, red/yellow/orange peppers, Soy Dream Classic soy milk, toffee syrup (for lattes), NOW soy protein, quinoa, bananas, fuji apples, tangerines, bing cherries, blueberries, and peaches.

Very infrequently: Yuengling beer

Meal 1 is oatmeal w/sugar. No other choice. Ain't going to eat yet more chicken. I will occasionally throw in a heaping tsp of soy protein. It bloats me so I can't use it very often. Plus coffee w/sugar

Meal 2 is a tsp of sunflower butter. I was eating 1/2 buffalo burger here but my latest blood work showed a rise in my kidney numbers. I was right on the ragged edge of being high. So I dropped the burger. If I have to cut back on protein I'd rather eat chicken.

Meal 3 and 4 are 4oz chicken, squash, 1/4 of extra large sweet potato each.

Meal 5 is pre-workout and is 2oz chicken with 1/4 extra large sweet potato

Meal 6 is post-workout and is 5oz chicken, a veggie, and 1/4 extra large sweet potato.

After meal 6 there will be chocolate, 1 tbs sunflower butter, and fruit. I kind of don't stop eating once I get home from the gym until bedtime. Sometimes I'll have more oatmeal just before bed.

If I do the rare workout in the am I will eat my normal pre-workout meal in addition to oatmeal.

While not ideal to not have protein until meal 3 (10:30am), I get 150g daily and have plenty in my system pre- and post-workout. What I would give to be able to eat eggs!!!

The only way to cheat is to eat more or fewer cals than desired. If the food isn't listed above, it's a safe bet I can't eat it.

Anyway. I won't report food as it is the same thing over and over and over...

blu2xtreme
12-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Now I feel really bad about not getting enough food in
I can eat about anything ...no soy - it kills me

kimm4
12-11-2009, 11:06 PM
I hate my daughter today. Actually I hated her last night and told her so. It's all a blur....

She had her first college term paper due today. And was not ready. I pulled an all-nighter with her. She has to work at 7:20, class at 12:30, then she can pass out. I'm going to pass out after I take her to work, skipping my work and workout. Max has a banquet tonight and was going to be a no-show anyway. If he's available we'll do Fri/Sat instead of Thurs/Fri this week. If not, I'll do Fri/Sat :D

I never even pulled an all-nighter studying or preparing a term paper when I was in college. Now partying while in college is a different story :p

LOL...night of college partying or term paper...hmmmm...;)

You're a good mom, get some rest!!

partsRheavy
12-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Mmmmmmm I'm jealous U have a Trader Joe's near you!!!!

But I get to eat Earth Fare buffet LOL!

I LOVE chocolate, but I want it in the morning!!!!

tifflex
12-12-2009, 07:30 AM
No. Since I am intolerant to milk protein, sulfites, and gluten plus allergic to corn my diet is very limited and repetitive. I eat the foods listed below daily with just a few exceptions. How many cals and macros just means larger or smaller portions.

Daily:
McCann's oatmeal, Domino's granulated sugar, home roasted decaf coffee, Trader Joe's sunflower butter, Trader Joe's boneless chicken breasts, asparagus, yellow squash, zucchini, sea salt, Carapelli olive oil, sweet potato, and Trader Joe's 73% dark chocolate.

Occasionally:
Fresh caught tuna, wild salmon (frozen), steak, buffalo burger, red/yellow/orange peppers, Soy Dream Classic soy milk, toffee syrup (for lattes), NOW soy protein, quinoa, bananas, fuji apples, tangerines, bing cherries, blueberries, and peaches.

Very infrequently: Yuengling beer

Meal 1 is oatmeal w/sugar. No other choice. Ain't going to eat yet more chicken. I will occasionally throw in a heaping tsp of soy protein. It bloats me so I can't use it very often. Plus coffee w/sugar

Meal 2 is a tsp of sunflower butter. I was eating 1/2 buffalo burger here but my latest blood work showed a rise in my kidney numbers. I was right on the ragged edge of being high. So I dropped the burger. If I have to cut back on protein I'd rather eat chicken.

Meal 3 and 4 are 4oz chicken, squash, 1/4 of extra large sweet potato each.

Meal 5 is pre-workout and is 2oz chicken with 1/4 extra large sweet potato

Meal 6 is post-workout and is 5oz chicken, a veggie, and 1/4 extra large sweet potato.

After meal 6 there will be chocolate, 1 tbs sunflower butter, and fruit. I kind of don't stop eating once I get home from the gym until bedtime. Sometimes I'll have more oatmeal just before bed.

If I do the rare workout in the am I will eat my normal pre-workout meal in addition to oatmeal.

While not ideal to not have protein until meal 3 (10:30am), I get 150g daily and have plenty in my system pre- and post-workout. What I would give to be able to eat eggs!!!

The only way to cheat is to eat more or fewer cals than desired. If the food isn't listed above, it's a safe bet I can't eat it.

Anyway. I won't report food as it is the same thing over and over and over...

Our pre/post workout meals are similar. How do you prepare your squash?

freebirdmac
12-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Our pre/post workout meals are similar. How do you prepare your squash?

I slice them up on some aluminum foil, sprinkle on some sea salt, drizzle olive oil, and then wrap them up. I grill year around so the foil packets go on before my chicken. Low heat, slow cooking.

I've been thinking about all of the nutrients I'm probably missing by cooking them until they're soft. I don't like them cooked and crunchy. Strangely I do like them raw. So I'm going to start eating raw slices dipped in olive oil.

I've also been playing with some spices. They're tough due to corn/sulfite additives or naturally occurring. Turmeric, organic black pepper, and ginger seem to be ok. I've enjoyed turmeric plus black pepper on chicken. I may play with these on the veggies too. I can mix up olive oil, turmeric, pepper, and even ginger in a separate container and just keep it on hand. My tummy seems to have heartburn issues with the pepper so I have to go easy there. At least I think it's only the pepper.

freebirdmac
12-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Mmmmmmm I'm jealous U have a Trader Joe's near you!!!!

But I get to eat Earth Fare buffet LOL!

I LOVE chocolate, but I want it in the morning!!!!

I don't know what I'd do without Trader Joe's! What's Earth Fare?

Ha! I know. Sometimes I want chocolate in the am too :)

tifflex
12-12-2009, 07:56 AM
I slice them up on some aluminum foil, sprinkle on some sea salt, drizzle olive oil, and then wrap them up. I grill year around so the foil packets go on before my chicken. Low heat, slow cooking.

I've been thinking about all of the nutrients I'm probably missing by cooking them until they're soft. I don't like them cooked and crunchy. Strangely I do like them raw. So I'm going to start eating raw slices dipped in olive oil.

I've also been playing with some spices. They're tough due to corn/sulfite additives or naturally occurring. Turmeric, organic black pepper, and ginger seem to be ok. I've enjoyed turmeric plus black pepper on chicken. I may play with these on the veggies too. I can mix up olive oil, turmeric, pepper, and even ginger in a separate container and just keep it on hand. My tummy seems to have heartburn issues with the pepper so I have to go easy there. At least I think it's only the pepper.
Thanks!

I like mine crunchy with a little onion and garlic. I need to play around with spices as I tend to only use sea salt and black pepper.

freebirdmac
12-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks!

I like mine crunchy with a little onion and garlic. I need to play around with spices as I tend to only use sea salt and black pepper.

Turmeric supposedly has anti-inflammatory properties and the pepper improves absorption. Some people just take a capsule :)

I miss garlic and onion. Both are naturally high in sulfites. It's a shame as they are so good for you.

freebirdmac
12-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Some info on turmeric http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=78

And ginger http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=72

Other spices http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

partsRheavy
12-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Earth Fare is our local healthy/natural supermarket. Actually, I mostly eat at their buffet, which is usually pretty good for fish, free range chicken etc.

There's another place called Greenlife here but I think it's more expensive.

http://earthfare.com/

I like turmeric. I LOVE curry!!!

freebirdmac
12-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Friday's workout on Sat morning.

Biceps

Standing db curls
15x12
20x12
25x12
30x5
(Haven't used db in quite awhile and it showed. They felt awful!)

Curl bar
40x12
50x10
60x6
(First time on the 60's. Not too bad. Pre-loaded bars go up by 10's)

Lying wide grip cable
70x10
75x8
85x6

Seated one-arm db preacher
10x? hammer grip (lost count)
15x35
20x35 hammer grip
(lower weight, higher rep to burn, short rom staying in the muscle. Need to start at a higher weight)

Triceps

V bar press down
40x12
55x12
75x10
85x8
95x8
(gotta start at a higher weight next time)

db presses
20x12
25x12
30x10
(gotta start with a higher weight. Strange as 40-45# is my working weight for flat chest db press)

OH rope
40x20
40x15
30x20
(Started out with too high a weight for a higher rep set)

Dip machine
110x10
120x8
125x6
(Shoulders were killing me. Tried bench dips and dips at the dip station staying vertical. Shoulders said no freaking way! So used the dip machine and set the seat up enough to stay out of my shoulders)

Calves

Superset standing with seated (machine pedal thingy)
Standing
175x12x3 (toes in, out, straight)
Seated
160x20x3

Abs

Cable crunches
70x20x3

partsRheavy
12-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Good w/o! Hope the heart-to-heart with your daughter is sinking in and she won't con you into any more all-nighters!

She better know how to write a paper on her own!

Have her enroll in General Anatomy LOL.:p Lots of muscles, lots of everything else, lots of memorization!

freebirdmac
12-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Dang. Shoulders and traps are really talking to me. Probably didn't help them by cleaning out our storage closet and decorating. I actually had trouble falling asleep due to them last night. So it's Motrin this am. Gotta get them better for chest exercises and all of the plates that I'll be moving around to accommodate my sets and Max's. Chest and quads means a lot of 45's.

partsRheavy
12-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Hey girl! Hope they get better! You sound like you might need an extra rest day even though that's hard to schedule in with w/o partner.

Do some stretching and see how they feel...maybe eat a little heavier than usual before w/o.

freebirdmac
12-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Motrin helped. A lot.

Chest

HS decline
50x15
90x12
140x10
150x8
160x5
(Left shoulder just gave out at the end of rep 5 in last set. I couldn't control the descent enough to make rep 6)

BB incline
65x10
(felt mild sharp pain in mid chest. Stopped. Have felt this before on occasion during db presses or db flyes. I always stop rather than risk injury. This was the first time on bb press but we've never done HS first.

flat db press
30x12
35x12
40x10
(went easy just in case. I soooo wanted those 45's. But better to return next week w/o injury)

cable
35x10
40x8
45x8
(went up in weight. db presses gave me confidence. no pain)

Quads

Press
180x12
270x10
320x10
360x8
410x6
(Sure felt heavier than last week)

Hack Squats (Machine)
30x10
50x10
70x8
80x6
(This is why my atg squats suck. Whatever muscles are needed to get from atg up to parallel...I don't have! I make sure on this machine I hit the lower limit. No cheating. When I finish this exercise I literally have tears in my eyes. Progress is excruciatingly slow)

Vertical press
90x10
180x10
230x8
270x6
(3rd set was tough but I wanted to up the weights for set 4 to match last week. Didn't do hacks before these last week. Max said there was no point in going up if he had to help out. Point taken. And ignored. I told him to put the weight on. I was going to do it. Rep 5 was a little shaky as I came down too fast but I got rep 6 :) )

Extensions
110x10 (toe out)
120x10 (toes in)
130x10 (toes straight)
(Had planned on 110x2 + 120x10 like last week. Max fooled me and upped second set to 120. So I upped 3rd set to 130.

I wobbled to the locker room only to find some moron had overused some sort of spray in there. This has only happened a couple of times but it's awful! My eyes and throat start to burn and this stuff can trigger an asthma attack! I grabbed my stuff as fast as I could and got dressed outside of the locker room. Loudly bitching to Max. There's no excuse for exposing everyone to your scents like that. People need to save it for their bathroom, not a public locker room. There are a lot of people with allergies, chemical sensitivities, and allergies. It's incredibly selfish behavior. Not to mention that woman has to be one of the ones you smell 15 minutes after they've cleared an area. I'm going to put a bandana in my gym back. If it happens again I can at least breathe through that.

Anyway. Considering how my shoulders felt last night/this morning and loss a sleep I was happy with the workout. I will get those 45's next week! Hope I can walk half way decent tomorrow :)

freebirdmac
12-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Row, row, row your boat...
Apparently we will be doing all rows one week, all pulls the next week.

Back

65x12
75x12
85x10
95x8
105x6
(105 felt a bit better, but still heavy)

DB one-arm rows
30x12
35x10
40x8
(had to guess weight. will start w/35's next time. and use versa grips w/40 and above. Almost dropped the 40's which may end up being starting weight.

Seated cable rows
75x10
80x8
85x6
(go up again next time)

One arm cable rows
25x10
35x10
45x8
(had to guess at starting weight. will start with 40 next time)

Good mornings
65x10
85x10
95x8
(good depth on first two. need better depth at 95 before increasing weight)

Traps

Still not working traps directly.

Gym is closed on Christmas day. I'm actually bummed! :D

kimm4
12-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Solid workout girl! Shoulder feeling ok?

freebirdmac
12-16-2009, 05:07 AM
Solid workout girl! Shoulder feeling ok?

Yes! Motrin did the trick. I think the chest workout also helped to work out the soreness. Go figure. Chest usually challenges them with my history of impingement syndrome and tendonitis. Shoulders get worked tomorrow. Hopefully they'll do better this second week of my new routine.

Baldiewonkanobi
12-16-2009, 07:10 AM
Your WO shames a lot of dudes....way cool!!

Baldie

freebirdmac
12-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Damn my ass hurts!! I was sore yesterday from Mon's workout but it's worse today. The lower part of my glutes and glute-ham tie in area are hurting good :) It must be from the vertical leg press. Everything else has been standard in my workouts and I didn't go up in weight on hack squats. Wonder if I should move vertical leg press to ham day. After RDLs.

AnglicanBeachParty
12-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Good workout! Especially the rows. :)

buckimscl
12-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Good workout Free.

freebirdmac
12-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Shoulders and hams

Shoulders

HS machine PWO
20x12
50x12
70x12
90x8
(hadn't used this machine before. needed to find my weight)

Behind head (Matrix)
65x12
75x10
80x8

DB side raises
10#x10x3
(been using cables for this exercise, 10# felt like a ton)

Rear delt mach
40x12
45x10
50x8

Hams

RDLs
115x12
135x10
145x8
155x6
(Whoohoo! New PR)

Kneeling one-leg curls
50x10
60x8
70x6

Seated curls
75x10
80x8
85x6

Abductor/adductor
125/65 x12x3

I yawned all through shoulders. Woke up for deads :D

partsRheavy
12-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Are ya ready for the snowstorm?? :yep:

freebirdmac
12-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Are ya ready for the snowstorm?? :yep:

Phfftt. I'm close to the water, which is at 49 degrees. We'll be lucky to see a dusting.

freebirdmac
12-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Arms/calves/abs

Biceps

Incline curls
15x10
20x8
20x6
(never did these before. they really nailed my bi's)

Rope curls
55x10
60x8
65x6

Lying wide curls
70x10
75x8
85x6
(go up next time)

Bent over concentration curls
15x10
15x8
20x6

Triceps

Skull crushers
30x10
40x10
50x10
(start higher next time)

Rope press down
55x10
60x8
65x6

Kickbacks
10#x12x3
(no ab cramp!)

Dips
bw x 10
10#x10
25#x8

Calves
Superset both seated exercises

Plate loaded seated
70x12
90x12x2

Seated pedal
140x20
160x20x2

Abs

Cable crunches
80x20x2

gman
12-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Phfftt. I'm close to the water, which is at 49 degrees. We'll be lucky to see a dusting.

i hate living here, we never get snow. It really ticks me off.

freebirdmac
12-18-2009, 06:11 PM
i hate living here, we never get snow. It really ticks me off.

I know. It sucks!!! But winter is just starting. Maybe the ocean will cool down more.

gman
12-18-2009, 06:15 PM
I know. It sucks!!! But winter is just starting. Maybe the ocean will cool down more.

I hope so! 40 degree rain is about the most disgusting weather there is, other than ice storms!

partsRheavy
12-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Traffic in western NC isn't going anywhere!!! Things are completely covered and iced up. It's falling so fast that even though it was in the 40s yesterday, roads are iced now.

At least I made plans to stay home today and this weekend. All my Christmas shopping and mailing is done.

I have an Oly bar and a few wts at home.

freebirdmac
12-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Traffic in western NC isn't going anywhere!!! Things are completely covered and iced up. It's falling so fast that even though it was in the 40s yesterday, roads are iced now.

At least I made plans to stay home today and this weekend. All my Christmas shopping and mailing is done.

I have an Oly bar and a few wts at home.

Around here where Mike and I live is greatly affected by the ocean water temp. Which is around 49 degrees right now. It means while everyone else gets snow, we get a cold rain.

kimm4
12-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Arms/calves/abs

Biceps

Incline curls
15x10
20x8
20x6
(never did these before. they really nailed my bi's)

Rope curls
55x10
60x8
65x6

Lying wide curls
70x10
75x8
85x6
(go up next time)

Bent over concentration curls
15x10
15x8
20x6

Triceps

Skull crushers
30x10
40x10
50x10
(start higher next time)

Rope press down
55x10
60x8
65x6

Kickbacks
10#x12x3
(no ab cramp!)

Dips
bw x 10
10#x10
25#x8

Calves
Superset both seated exercises

Plate loaded seated
70x12
90x12x2

Seated pedal
140x20
160x20x2

Abs

Cable crunches
80x20x2

Looks great! Enjoy your weekend! :)

freebirdmac
12-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Mmmmm tequila :drool:

tony63
12-21-2009, 08:18 AM

Oh yeah!!!

:hypno:

blu2xtreme
12-21-2009, 09:21 AM

Oh yeah!!!

:hypno:

To much of a light weight for tequila - the couple shots I had weekend about did me in - my throat burned for days
I will stick with Captian Morgan

Have a Great Monday Pam:)

freebirdmac
12-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Since this sulfite/corn thing hit me alcohol has been almost completely off limits. I've found one beer I can tolerate. Sometimes. This weekend I tested a shot of 100% agave blanco tequila. No reactions! Whoohoo! Now I hope to build on that to come up with some sort of margarita substitute.

I'm also infusing a Polish potato vodka with lemon zest for a week. After the infusion you cook up some water and sugar and add it in. Making a lemoncello which will stay in the freezer. I hope to test that out this weekend.

But I have to say sipping tequila wasn't bad at all. Especially on a cold night :D

Baldiewonkanobi
12-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Dayum oceans!! Pacific kept us at 78 all day yesterday.

Some tequillas have a little worm floating inside....added protein. Only BAD girls drink...its been 30 years but that I remember. ;)

Baldie

freebirdmac
12-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Dayum oceans!! Pacific kept us at 78 all day yesterday.

Some tequillas have a little worm floating inside....added protein. Only BAD girls drink...its been 30 years but that I remember. ;)

Baldie

I could handle 70+ temps year around :)

The tequilas with a worm are mezcals which aren't 100% agave. Other crap is thrown in, which is why the stuff is cheaper.

Only bad girls eh? Maybe I'm a bad girl wannabe :p

gman
12-21-2009, 11:22 AM
I hear the really expensive Tequila is not unlike expensive scotch.

All I have ever had is the rotgut pepe lopez stuff.

freebirdmac
12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
I hear the really expensive Tequila is not unlike expensive scotch.

All I have ever had is the rotgut pepe lopez stuff.

Yeah, unfortunately the really expensive stuff has rested in barrels usually obtained from whiskey distillers or even wineries. I had to go with blanco which is short rested in metal or aluminum barrels. If there's any color to the alcohol that means it's more likely that I'll react.

Down4whatever
12-21-2009, 12:48 PM
You guys know wayyyyy too much about alcohol production (and consumption). :D

freebirdmac
12-21-2009, 12:55 PM
You guys know wayyyyy too much about alcohol production (and consumption). :D

I had to do my research. Otherwise I'd end up sucking my inhaler and pouring money down the drain.

freebirdmac
12-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Chest and Quads

Chest

BB decline
65x12
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x6

DB incline
30x10
35x8
40x6

Nautilus flat machine
60x10
70x10
80x10
(finding my weight)

Cable
35x10
40x8
45x6

Quads

45 degree press
180x8
270x8
320x10
360x8
430x6 (up 20#)

Hack squat machine
30x10
50x10
70x8
80x6

Vertical Leg press (Matrix)
180x10
230x8
270x4 (couldn't make 6)

Leg extension
125x10 (toes out)
125x10 (toes in)
135x10 (straight)
(very tough sets)

I wasn't sure how this workout would go. I was tired and hit my inhaler twice today. Felt better as the workout progressed. Thankfully!

blu2xtreme
12-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Just wondering if recovery is rough doing 2 large muscle groups the same day?
Don't think I could handle it ....I have trouble recovering from one body part. I love the 5 day split for that reason.

Down4whatever
12-21-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm just embarassed that her legs are almost as strong as mine :o Guess I better get to work........

gman
12-21-2009, 10:16 PM
it's awesome how strong our lady bodybuilders are, I love strong women!

freebirdmac
12-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Just wondering if recovery is rough doing 2 large muscle groups the same day?
Don't think I could handle it ....I have trouble recovering from one body part. I love the 5 day split for that reason.

No, it's not rough at all. I did 5 months of hitting the entire body Mon/Tues, Wed was rest, hit everything again Thurs/Fri and had Sat/Sun off. This is like a break!

Not being able to recover from just one body part goes back to your diet and sleeping habits :D

freebirdmac
12-22-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm just embarassed that her legs are almost as strong as mine :o Guess I better get to work........

Then how come my legs look so damn scrawny and yours look great? :)
I have a long way to go.

tony63
12-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Chest and Quads

Chest

BB decline
65x12
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x6........impressive

DB incline
30x10
35x8
40x6........impressive

Nautilus flat machine
60x10
70x10
80x10
(finding my weight)

Cable
35x10
40x8
45x6

Quads

45 degree press
180x8
270x8
320x10
360x8
430x6 (up 20#)........impressive

Hack squat machine
30x10
50x10
70x8
80x6

Vertical Leg press (Matrix)
180x10
230x8
270x4 (couldn't make 6)

Leg extension
125x10 (toes out)
125x10 (toes in)
135x10 (straight)
(very tough sets)

I wasn't sure how this workout would go. I was tired and hit my inhaler twice today. Felt better as the workout progressed. Thankfully!

damn, you're strong. Very impressive workout...

blu2xtreme
12-22-2009, 09:13 AM
No, it's not rough at all. I did 5 months of hitting the entire body Mon/Tues, Wed was rest, hit everything again Thurs/Fri and had Sat/Sun off. This is like a break!

Not being able to recover from just one body part goes back to your diet and sleeping habits :D

Damn I thought you might say that:p

Working on it :)

Down4whatever
12-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Then how come my legs look so damn scrawny and yours look great? :)
I have a long way to go.

LOL, I'd have to say estrogen.....

I haven't seen your's lately, but I bet they're not really scrawny.

Baldiewonkanobi
12-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Show us your legs Birdie :p.

NO I am NOT a dirty old man....just a 'use to be' Bodybuilding judge...OK? ;)

Baldie

gman
12-22-2009, 11:22 AM
I have seen them, I won't tell though....

freebirdmac
12-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Progress picts on Jan 2.

freebirdmac
12-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Back and traps (Followed by video!)

Pull ups
BW x 10
10# x 10
15# x 8
(Ugh is all I can say)

Close grip pull downs
70x10
75x8
80x8
(Go up in weight next time)

Wide grip pull downs
65x10
70x8
75x6
(A bit better than last time)

Freemotion cable
70x10
80x8
90x6
(Went up in weight)

Good mornings
65x10
85x10
95x8
(Set 3 was much better. If it had been any other exercise I'd have done 105x6)

Traps

Upright rows
35# x10x3
(Still unsure about working traps directly again. We'll see how it goes)

gman
12-22-2009, 06:44 PM
i wanna see the pullups!

freebirdmac
12-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Freemotion pull downs. First set.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UajiQD0psnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UajiQD0psnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RAQO0U2VVWA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RAQO0U2VVWA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

freebirdmac
12-22-2009, 06:50 PM
i wanna see the pullups!

We did that first and both of us had shirts on. Gotta warm up before taking them off :) But that's actually what I wanted to get on video. Hopefully next time.

partsRheavy
12-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Dang!! It's too cold to take the coat and scarf off, never mind the long-sleeve shirt!!

Dang!! You guys look good!!

We did that first and both of us had shirts on. Gotta warm up before taking them off :) But that's actually what I wanted to get on video. Hopefully next time.

freebirdmac
12-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Dang!! It's too cold to take the coat and scarf off, never mind the long-sleeve shirt!!

Dang!! You guys look good!!

Yeah. It takes awhile to warm up from the cold and want to take the shirts off.

I'm trying to be Max's mini-me :D

tony63
12-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Back and traps (Followed by video!)

Pull ups
BW x 10
10# x 10
15# x 8
(Ugh is all I can say)

Close grip pull downs
70x10
75x8
80x8
(Go up in weight next time)

Wide grip pull downs
65x10
70x8
75x6
(A bit better than last time)

Freemotion cable
70x10
80x8
90x6
(Went up in weight)

Good mornings
65x10
85x10
95x8
(Set 3 was much better. If it had been any other exercise I'd have done 105x6)

Traps

Upright rows
35# x10x3
(Still unsure about working traps directly again. We'll see how it goes)

Nice wings hot stuff!!!

tifflex
12-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Freemotion pull downs. First set.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UajiQD0psnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UajiQD0psnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RAQO0U2VVWA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RAQO0U2VVWA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Looking great Pam!

You are a powerhouse:yep:!

What's on today's agenda?

freebirdmac
12-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Nice wings hot stuff!!!

Tiny, but getting better!

Looking great Pam!

You are a powerhouse:yep:!

What's on today's agenda?

Heh, powerhouse :)

Wed is rest day. I'll hit shoulders and hams on Thurs. Arms will have to wait until Sat as the gym won't be open on Fri. Go figure!!!

gman
12-23-2009, 10:35 AM
At least your tiny wings show up when you do stuff. Means your very lean!

freebirdmac
12-24-2009, 03:11 PM
I should have stayed home. I found out something upsetting about a friend of mine and it really distracted me at the gym. I ended up with a sore back after my warmup deads. Stupid! Kept going. Probably even dumber :eek:

Shoulders:

Front presses (Matrix)
20x12
30x12
40x10
50x6

Rear presses (Matrix)
20x12
30x10
35x6

Side cable raises
15x10x3

Rear flye machine
40x12
45x10
50x10

Hams:

RDLs
115x12 (ouch)
135x10
145x8
(stopped. didn't do 155 like last week)

Seated curls
65x12
80x10x2

Skipped kneeling curls because of my back. Don't want to make it worse. It should be ok. Just a bit sore for a day or so. Nothing serious.

I so am having a shot of tequila tonight!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

blu2xtreme
12-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Sorry about the rough work out ... Hope your friend is ok.

Have a Merry Christmas Pam

freebirdmac
12-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Oh, it's not like my friend is dying or sick or anything. This friend just acted in a way that was completely outside of who I thought they were. Sheer disappointment and makes me wonder about my ability to judge character.

blu2xtreme
12-24-2009, 03:50 PM
It is the season for forgiveness... Maybe talking to your friend about their actions might help both of you.
Christmas is a time to be full of Joy and friendship is one of those joys:)

freebirdmac
12-24-2009, 04:31 PM
It is the season for forgiveness... Maybe talking to your friend about their actions might help both of you.
Christmas is a time to be full of Joy and friendship is one of those joys:)

Yeah, well not tonight.

partsRheavy
12-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Have a relaxing night tonight!!

Next week, you'll have time to talk to your friend and encourage her to change things to the better for 2010!! New Years' Resolutions....:)

Merry Christmas!!!!

freebirdmac
12-26-2009, 05:02 PM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/Christmas/family.jpg

Sister, niece, bro-in-law, mom, brother, daughter, brother's so, and me.

blu2xtreme
12-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Hope your Holiday was a good one
Great pic ...your daughter is beautiful:)

Baldiewonkanobi
12-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Great stuff here. Love your family, hate your 'friend' and love my Birdie. Some great vids. MORE!! :)

Baldie

freebirdmac
12-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Chest and quad day.

Chest:

Flat bb
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x6 (tough)

Incline HS
50x10
70x8
90x6

Decline db
35x10
40x8
45x6
(I knew I was ready for the 45's!!)

Cable flye
30x10
35x10
40x8
(I have no idea why these felt so good. Last week 40 felt like a ton. Tonight I could have done 45)

Quads

Leg press
180x12
270x10
320x10
360x10
410x8
450x8
(10 plates total for 8!!! I was shooting for 6 :) Damn these felt good tonight!)

Hack squats
30x10
50x8
(Stopped at this point. I could feel where I had messed with the posterior chain doing warm up deads last week. I wanted to keep going. Thought better of it. I really want to be able to do deads on Thurs)

Vertical leg press
225x10
275x8
295x6
(Lowered the last weight a bit based on the previous two weeks)

Extensions
125x10x2 (toe in/toe out)
135x10

I sure wasn't expecting a workout like this tonight. But I'll take it!!!

gman
12-28-2009, 07:24 PM
awesome work, Pam...could the strength gains be from any food choices you made lately or were you well rested, maybe?

freebirdmac
12-28-2009, 07:47 PM
awesome work, Pam...could the strength gains be from any food choices you made lately or were you well rested, maybe?

Phfft. I have no idea. No food changes. Actually ate a little under this weekend. No more rest than usual. Hey! Maybe it was the shot of tequila I sipped on last night! :D

blu2xtreme
12-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Phfft. I have no idea. No food changes. Actually ate a little under this weekend. No more rest than usual. Hey! Maybe it was the shot of tequila I sipped on last night! :D

Tequila may be the secret ...you seem to be sipping that a lot lately:D

I also had the best leg day a few weeks ago after a few shots of Tequila at my luncheon:)

gman
12-28-2009, 09:55 PM
tequila brings back really bad memories of horrible hangovers...from 25-30 years ago.

freebirdmac
12-29-2009, 04:51 AM
No, I haven't been hitting the bottle a lot lately. I've sipped on a shot of a specifically chosen tequila twice, on two different nights. Both were successful trials. No food sensitivity reaction. Last night I sipped on a shot of Cointreau. No reaction there either. Which means I now have the means to make a margarita :D Even though there were no food reactions I can't drink much or too often. I'd just like to enjoy one every now and then.

Baldiewonkanobi
12-29-2009, 06:41 AM
...............Googleing tequila and amino acids....so far :no:

Baldie

tony63
12-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Chest and quad day.

Chest:

Flat bb
65x10
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x6 (tough)

Incline HS
50x10
70x8
90x6

Decline db
35x10
40x8
45x6
(I knew I was ready for the 45's!!)

Cable flye
30x10
35x10
40x8
(I have no idea why these felt so good. Last week 40 felt like a ton. Tonight I could have done 45)

Quads

Leg press
180x12
270x10
320x10
360x10
410x8
450x8
(10 plates total for 8!!! I was shooting for 6 :) Damn these felt good tonight!)

Hack squats
30x10
50x8
(Stopped at this point. I could feel where I had messed with the posterior chain doing warm up deads last week. I wanted to keep going. Thought better of it. I really want to be able to do deads on Thurs)

Vertical leg press
225x10
275x8
295x6
(Lowered the last weight a bit based on the previous two weeks)

Extensions
125x10x2 (toe in/toe out)
135x10

I sure wasn't expecting a workout like this tonight. But I'll take it!!!

:yep: Hell yeah take it. I am assuming the red is PR's?? Great job.

freebirdmac
12-29-2009, 08:54 AM
...............Googleing tequila and amino acids....so far :no:

Baldie

But...but.... oh shoot. I've got nothing.

gman
12-29-2009, 09:46 AM
I have thought of vodka, ice, water and lemon xtend in a blender.

I bet it would be really good

freebirdmac
12-29-2009, 09:53 AM
I have thought of vodka, ice, water and lemon xtend in a blender.

I bet it would be really good

This is what I did for the vodka I bought. I'll trial it New Year's Eve:

Take the zest from 1 pound of lemons (Just the zest not the white
pith). take a clean large glass jar (the gallon variety) add the zest
then add a quart of safe Vodka (don't throw away the bottle). Put this
on a shelf somewhere out of the way (should not be refrigerated yet) for
a week. After a week the lemon zest will have given up all its
essential oil and you can then strain out the zest. The next thing is
to make a simple syrup of 2/3 cup each of safe sugar and water. Heat
the sugar and water till sugar dissolves and it becomes completely
clear. Let it cool down then add to the Vodka lemon mix you have just
strained. Put this is freezer for a week and you have a lovely drink
that should not only be safe for you to drink but that your friends will
probably love as well.

freebirdmac
12-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Back and traps

Back:

Bent over rows, over hand grip
45x12
65x12
85x12
95x10
105x8
115x6
(last set was tough but I was ready for the weight. Started using versa grips at 95# which helped)

Db one arm rows (used versa grips)
40x10
45x10
50x8

Seated cable rows
75x10
80x8
85x6

Seated one arm cable
40x10
40x8
45x6

Good Mornings
65x12
85x10
95x8
105x6
(not quite full rom on last set)

Traps:

Upright rows w/plate
35x10x3
(Still keeping direct trap work to a minimum. They are thanking me for it)

blu2xtreme
12-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I have been using the versa gripps though out the sets - is there a reason you wait until the heavier weights?

freebirdmac
12-29-2009, 09:18 PM
I have been using the versa gripps though out the sets - is there a reason you wait until the heavier weights?

I only use them when I see or know my grip strength will hold me back. If I can do without them I will, so as to continue to improve my grip strength.

freebirdmac
12-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Sucky weak workout. Spoke to my friend some today. Yowza my head is fucking spinning.

Shoulders/hams

Shoulders:

Seated front press (Matrix)
barx12
65x12
85x10
85x8
95x6
(Need slight help from Max on last two sets which shouldn't have been necessary)

HS press
50x12
70x10
80x6
(Let my journal in the car and couldn't remember the weights. Have only done this machine one other time)

Rear flyes
45x10
50x8
55x6
(went up by 5# on all sets)

Front raises
20#x10x3
(If there had been a 25# preloaded bar I'd have used it)

Hams:

RDLs
115x12
135x10
145x8
155x6
(recovered from last week's fiasco)

Kneeling one-leg curl
50x10
60x8
70x6
(started failing at 5. Max assisted to finish the set)

Seated curls
65x12
75x10
85x8

Abductor/adductor
135x12x3/60x12x3
(going to start going up on adductor weight. See if I can avoid another groin pull)

kimm4
12-31-2009, 06:06 PM
It's happen darlin. Might not be one of your best workouts...but you got it done! Happy New Year...let's get ready to smash more weight in 2010...fuck yeah!! ;)

partsRheavy
01-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Happy New Year!!!!! :yep:

buckimscl
01-01-2010, 03:38 AM
Happy New Year Free.

freebirdmac
01-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Both Max and I had "a few" last night. So today's workout was not exactly stellar :D

Biceps:

Incline curls
10x12
15x10
20x8
20x6

Rope curls
55x10
60x8
65x6

Lying wide cable curls
70x10
75x8
80x6

Standing db preacher
15x20
20x15
25x12

Triceps

V-bar pressdowns
60x12
70x12
85x10
95x8
105x6

Db press
30x10
35x3
(Had to stop. These really bothered my left shoulder which has been a little pissy lately)

Overhead
25x20
30x15
35x12

Dips
BWx12
10x12
25x10

Calves

Seated ss w/ seated pedal machine

70x12/140x20
90x12/160x20
110x6/180x20

Abs

Cable crunches
80x20x3

Should be posting 6 month progress picts tomorrow.

freebirdmac
01-01-2010, 04:34 PM
It's happen darlin. Might not be one of your best workouts...but you got it done! Happy New Year...let's get ready to smash more weight in 2010...fuck yeah!! ;)

Happy New Year!!!!! :yep:

Happy New Year Free.

Happy New Year to you guys too!!!!

Oh yeah Kim, this past week is just a blip. Going to hit the weights even harder this year!

freebirdmac
01-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Progress Picts!

Phfftt. Very subtle changes. In some cases it looks like I went backwards! Nothing like taking picts when it's cold!!!

Weight is up 4 pounds. Legs up 3/4". Waist up 1/2". Hips up 1/2". Relaxed arms maybe 1/4".

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/fullcomp.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/back_comp.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/armcomp.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/Leg_comp.jpg

partsRheavy
01-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Dang you are one lean chica!!!!! I do see a bit more depth in legs, which is great!!!

blu2xtreme
01-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Damn girl I would love to be that lean ...
Your arms and shoulders awesome :yep:

tifflex
01-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Good job Pam!

1. 4lbs in 6 mos is excellent. It shows your discipline to gain lean mass.

2. Arms look bigger

3. Lats are wider

4. Legs/hips are leaner! Flex those legs on the FDB.

Keep up the good work:).

freebirdmac
01-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Dang you are one lean chica!!!!! I do see a bit more depth in legs, which is great!!!

Thanks! My legs are my worse part. I had almost no muscle when I started two years ago so my progress doesn't look like much. But it actually has been a lot. Maybe when I have two more inches I'll be happy.

Damn girl I would love to be that lean ...
Your arms and shoulders awesome :yep:

Thanks Paula!
We'll get you lean. After we get you fixed! :D

Good job Pam!

1. 4lbs in 6 mos is excellent. It shows your discipline to gain lean mass.

2. Arms look bigger

3. Lats are wider

4. Legs/hips are leaner! Flex those legs on the FDB.

Keep up the good work:).

Thanks Tiff! Geez I'd kill for your lower body! You're one of my role models :yep:

Yeah, I didn't flex my legs as I didn't back in July. I figured it would be deceptive to do so for comp picts. Funny that you thought my hips and legs were leaner. I thought so too. Mainly from the first could of months when I seemed to need more food than I do now. Lean gains FTW!!!!

tifflex
01-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks! My legs are my worse part. I had almost no muscle when I started two years ago so my progress doesn't look like much. But it actually has been a lot. Maybe when I have two more inches I'll be happy.

You've made great progress!

Thanks Paula!
We'll get you lean. After we get you fixed! :D

Health comes first.

Thanks Tiff! Geez I'd kill for your lower body! You're one of my role models :yep:

Thanks Pam, you are too kind. My goal is to get to your level of leanness without sacrificing muscle mass.

Yeah, I didn't flex my legs as I didn't back in July. I figured it would be deceptive to do so for comp picts. Funny that you thought my hips and legs were leaner. I thought so too. Mainly from the first could of months when I seemed to need more food than I do now. Lean gains FTW!!!!
I understand. We both can't be wrong:dunno:.

I'm proud of you! I will remember your bulk when I have one after contest prep season. Thanks for showing us how it should be done!

freebirdmac
01-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Well I just ordered an elliptical http://www.soletreadmills.com/details.php?name=E25&product_type=ellipticals.

I've been thinking of this for quite some time. My gym is a 20 minute one-way drive and going there for just cardio is too much. And now it's too cold for me to do neighborhood runs. I need it 60 degrees or higher. Another big reason is my daughter. I took her to the gym with me once and she didn't want to go back. She'd enjoy it more if there were kids her age to exercise with. She'd need that social contact, at least at first. I know she will use this at home. I'm also hoping she'll get back to regularly doing all of the bodyweight exercises she used to do in gymnastics. She still has a lot of enviable muscle mass despite being out of gymnastics for almost 2 years. The bennies of youth. Unfortunately she has put on the freshman 15. She needs to get moving. Oh, and yeah she knows her diet sucks. But I don't nag. This is something she has to learn on her own. Ok, I do pester her about not eating breakfast, skipping meals, not eating veggies, and not getting enough protein :D

blu2xtreme
01-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Looks great Pam
I get my daughter into it for short periods of time- she is 15. She will use the treadmill - and sometimes light dbs.
All our equipment is at home so no excuse for her not to work out with me. I asked her if she would be more interested once I joined a gym after I get my own place - she said maybe.

freebirdmac
01-04-2010, 07:23 PM
I've been dealing with a personal situation since Christmas Eve where I found something out about a friend that threw me for a loop. I talked to them New Year's Eve and found out it was even worse. I literally sat at my desk saying "Holy Shit!" I could not have put them in the scenario they were in in my wildest imagination. I talked to them again today and feel a tad bit better. This is a behavioral thing that is not at all like who I thought my friend was. They are in therapy so I hope for the best. This has really messed with me. It's been hard to eat and sleep. Which of course affects my workouts. I think I've been to the bottom so it should get steadily better from here.

Tonight's workout was also affected by the resolutionists! Holy crap! I'll be glad when things settle back down.

We did not get everything in tonight.

Chest/quads

Chest:

Incline bb
65x12
85x10
95x8
105x5
(Last set, right shoulder just gave out. No pain, just no energy)

Flat db
35x10
40x10
45x8
(I'm ready for the 50's!)

Decline db
35x12
40x10
45x8
(Same here, ready for the 50's)

Cable flyes
Did not do these

Quads:

Leg press
180x10
230x10
270x10
360x10
410x8
450x6

Hack squat
Did not do these. Think I will do them Thurs.

Vertical press
Did not do

Leg extensions
125x10x2 (toes out/toes in)
135x10 (feet straight)

blu2xtreme
01-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Still looks like a solid workout:)

Feel for you ...worrying about your friend is causing you a lot of stress

Stress kills me ...effects my workouts, eating and sleeping

My body and mind is under so much stress right now plus being sick ...can't wait it feel good physically and have my personal stress behind me so can so I can see what I really can accomplish lifting.

freebirdmac
01-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Still looks like a solid workout:)

Feel for you ...worrying about your friend is causing you a lot of stress

Stress kills me ...effects my workouts, eating and sleeping

My body and mind is under so much stress right now plus being sick ...can't wait it feel good physically and have my personal stress behind me so can so I can see what I really can accomplish lifting.

Yeah. I would not want to be going through what you are going through. I think the great thing is you recognize what you want and you are taking steps to get it.

gman
01-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Pam, that's a shame about the stress...I am just glad your friend is in therapy for whatever it is...

the resolutionists help keep your gym fees low, so it's a love-hate thing, isn't it?

freebirdmac
01-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Pam, that's a shame about the stress...I am just glad your friend is in therapy for whatever it is...

the resolutionists help keep your gym fees low, so it's a love-hate thing, isn't it?

What I hate is stress from a situation that I can't fix! It's not my fight.

Yep. Gotta love the people who join and then drop out within 6 weeks :)

blu2xtreme
01-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah. I would not want to be going through what you are going through. I think the great thing is you recognize what you want and you are taking steps to get it.

One step at a time - first step taken is always the hardest.

freebirdmac
01-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Ugh. Tummy is not happy today. Went into work and lasted all of 15 minutes. Just texted Max to cancel out tonight.

bodyhard
01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Progress Picts!

Phfftt. Very subtle changes. In some cases it looks like I went backwards! Nothing like taking picts when it's cold!!!

Weight is up 4 pounds. Legs up 3/4". Waist up 1/2". Hips up 1/2". Relaxed arms maybe 1/4".

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/fullcomp.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/back_comp.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/armcomp.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/freebirdmac/Leg_comp.jpg

IMHO you are way too thin. Lay off the cardio for a while and do a bulk phase. Although I hate to admit I hate bulking for women but you need to add some size to your frame. Do you handle bulks OK or do you gain too much fat? Have you ever tried a clean bulk? Not dissing you in anyway as I am thin as well that is why I do not do any cardio, I don't have enough fat to burn and it winds up eating my LBM.

freebirdmac
01-05-2010, 05:15 PM
IMHO you are way too thin. Lay off the cardio for a while and do a bulk phase. Although I hate to admit I hate bulking for women but you need to add some size to your frame. Do you handle bulks OK or do you gain too much fat? Have you ever tried a clean bulk? Not dissing you in anyway as I am thin as well that is why I do not do any cardio, I don't have enough fat to burn and it winds up eating my LBM.

Lol! John, I am bulking. Up 4 pounds since July. I'm not a big cardio person. Haven't done any for 5 weeks. Even then it was just a once a week neighborhood run. I will however start to do some 1-2 times a week soon. Not having anything to do with body fat. It helps my asthma and my lifting. Cals get adjusted accordingly.

I do gain fat easily. I'm trying to keep my gains to about 1 pound a month. I figure gaining 5 pounds of lean mass in a year is my limit. I was on track with the pound a month until I ran into a 7 week period of time where injury and life limited my workouts. I dropped cals a bit and lost a pound. If I can duplicate what I've done these past 6 months over the next six months (without the 7 week crap), that'd ideally be 5 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat.

I don't mind gaining some fat, but I see no need to gain a bunch.

bodyhard
01-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Lol! John, I am bulking. Up 4 pounds since July. I'm not a big cardio person. Haven't done any for 5 weeks. Even then it was just a once a week neighborhood run. I will however start to do some 1-2 times a week soon. Not having anything to do with body fat. It helps my asthma and my lifting. Cals get adjusted accordingly.

I do gain fat easily. I'm trying to keep my gains to about 1 pound a month. I figure gaining 5 pounds of lean mass in a year is my limit. I was on track with the pound a month until I ran into a 7 week period of time where injury and life limited my workouts. I dropped cals a bit and lost a pound. If I can duplicate what I've done these past 6 months over the next six months (without the 7 week crap), that'd ideally be 5 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat.

I don't mind gaining some fat, but I see no need to gain a bunch.

Ahh OK so then you are somewhat like me, although I don't gain fat easily. So I feel your pain.

How about your training? I didn't start gaining any real mass until I started lifting infrequently (i.e more rest day in between sessions) with less volume, lower reps and heavier weights. Also because of my high metabolism (I am extremely nervous and burn calories while I sit) I had to get more sleep, if that meant more naps during the day and especially on the weekends, I got my sleep in.

Folks who are heavy have no idea how frustrating it is to be thin and how difficult it is to gain weight.

gman
01-05-2010, 05:43 PM
I appreciate it John, but cannot comprehend it. I looked back at body space and between Oct 2, 2007 and Jan 1, 2008, I gained 20 lbs, and I was lifting and doing cardio.

bodyhard
01-05-2010, 05:49 PM
I appreciate it John, but cannot comprehend it. I looked back at body space and between Oct 2, 2007 and Jan 1, 2008, I gained 20 lbs, and I was lifting and doing cardio.

I can see how that is frustrating but imagine me, I eat like a fucking horse train my ass of sleep like a baby and then I lose 10lbs!

So the grass I guess it is always greener on the other side. What I would give to gain 20lbs.

freebirdmac
01-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Ahh OK so then you are somewhat like me, although I don't gain fat easily. So I feel your pain.

How about your training? I didn't start gaining any real mass until I started lifting infrequently (i.e more rest day in between sessions) with less volume, lower reps and heavier weights. Also because of my high metabolism (I am extremely nervous and burn calories while I sit) I had to get more sleep, if that meant more naps during the day and especially on the weekends, I got my sleep in.

Folks who are heavy have no idea how frustrating it is to be thin and how difficult it is to gain weight.

I'm two years into this and have responded to pretty much everything (frequency, split, reps). It's just a matter of time. And progressively adding more weight. Oh and a good part of those two years was spent at a deficit to lose body fat. Skinny-fat really sucks. Now it's all about muscle gain.

I don't think I'm a hardgainer, I just spent a lot of time dropping excess fat which needed to go no matter how much muscle I gained. Time, food, and hell yes naps are what'll do it now. I'm just unsure about how menopause may effect muscle gain.

bodyhard
01-05-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm two years into this and have responded to pretty much everything (frequency, split, reps). It's just a matter of time. And progressively adding more weight. Oh and a good part of those two years was spent at a deficit to lose body fat. Skinny-fat really sucks. Now it's all about muscle gain.

I don't think I'm a hardgainer, I just spent a lot of time dropping excess fat which needed to go no matter how much muscle I gained. Time, food, and hell yes naps are what'll do it now. I'm just unsure about how menopause may effect muscle gain.

Were you ever fat fat or always skinny fat?

You are at the age of menopause?

freebirdmac
01-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Were you ever fat fat or always skinny fat?

You are at the age of menopause?

I was never fat fat. The last time I *really* needed to lose weight was college. I was a decent 117# 3.5 years ago then the food sensitivites/allergy hit. I dropped down to 102 in two months from lack of food (didn't know what to eat!). Lost muscle too, what little I had from not exercising in years. Gained 10 pounds back over a year. Which was all fat. Then started lifting and eating according to stuff I learned at the other place.

Yep. I'm not quite on the other side but I'm definitely going through it. Average age is 51 so I'm pretty much on track.

bodyhard
01-05-2010, 11:17 PM
I was never fat fat. The last time I *really* needed to lose weight was college. I was a decent 117# 3.5 years ago then the food sensitivites/allergy hit. I dropped down to 102 in two months from lack of food (didn't know what to eat!). Lost muscle too, what little I had from not exercising in years. Gained 10 pounds back over a year. Which was all fat. Then started lifting and eating according to stuff I learned at the other place.

Yep. I'm not quite on the other side but I'm definitely going through it. Average age is 51 so I'm pretty much on track.

Ahh OK understood. You are so new to this but you know prettymuch you got a long way to go kudos to you.

Hmm so this menopause thingy I heard it has it's good points as well as its bad. The good, I heard women could fuck like a jack rabbit and still want more if that is the case then where are the women with the menopause?? :D :D

partsRheavy
01-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Freebird --

I think you're an ecto. Your strength is great!! I see grown men and mature-looking teenage guys lifting far less in the gym.

freebirdmac
01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Freebird --

I think you're an ecto. Your strength is great!! I see grown men and mature-looking teenage guys lifting far less in the gym.

I'm definitely not an ecto. I've just got a lot of years at being successful at eating decently enough to keep my weight reasonable. I just wish I had also learned at the same time how important is was to gain/maintain muscle mass. I had no idea! The focus out there is all about fat and weight.

freebirdmac
01-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Tummy still isn't thrilled with me. One of the problems with only being able to eat a limited number of foods is what to eat when sick. I had 3 bowls of oatmeal yesterday! I forced myself to eat chicken a couple of times which wasn't really appreciated by my tummy. But that much oatmeal and the fiber wasn't either. Eating will be way off today as I'm not going to force it like I did yesterday. It'll probably make my workout tomorrow interesting.

I think I'd rather have a cold.

partsRheavy
01-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Bummer that you're not feeling so good. Hope that things settle out soon!

blu2xtreme
01-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Hope your feeling better - training sucks when your not 100%

I am going on 3 weeks with this cold / bronchitis and your right I 'd rather have this then a tummy ache.
Glad I have my drs appt on Friday

partsRheavy
01-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Blu ----

You're in sunny LV, so I assume you get enough vit D.

You ever tried Animal Pak? Not trying to advertise for them, but it's done good by me at keeping the germs away. Need to get some more - just ran out. (If you go to the Arnold, the "Animal Cage" is probably one of the most fun booths. Be prepared to bench something like 65 or 75 for a bunch'a reps. The guys have to do a lot more. I went last year and watched, but was too shy to do it!!)

freebird - My last tummy ache had an um....obvious cause. I ate eggs that had sat out at room temperature way too long LOL.

Hope your feeling better - training sucks when your not 100%

I am going on 3 weeks with this cold / bronchitis and your right I 'd rather have this then a tummy ache.
Glad I have my drs appt on Friday

blu2xtreme
01-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Blu ----

You're in sunny LV, so I assume you get enough vit D.

You ever tried Animal Pak? Not trying to advertise for them, but it's done good by me at keeping the germs away. Need to get some more - just ran out. (If you go to the Arnold, the "Animal Cage" is probably one of the most fun booths. Be prepared to bench something like 65 or 75 for a bunch'a reps. The guys have to do a lot more. I went last year and watched, but was too shy to do it!!)

freebird - My last tummy ache had an um....obvious cause. I ate eggs that had sat out at room temperature way too long LOL.

I take so many vitamins and supplements it's getting crazy - seems like I am adding a new one every week. I do take extra vitamin D. Actually this is the first time I have been sick since I lost all my weight a few years ago.
I am in the middle of a divorce - so stress added with not getting enough rest just left me opened for getting sick.

partsRheavy
01-07-2010, 02:13 AM
Gotcha. That's gotta be stressful. Adequate sleep is really important.

Ever since this darn freezing weather it's like I wanna hibernate....I have trouble controlling my sleep aka I'm not exactly an early riser....

Bob45
01-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Nice journal here. I've seen so many of your posts. I like the pics and videos too. Nice to put a pretty face with all the posts. There seems to be a good crew on this. Maybe I should start a journal too.

freebirdmac
01-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Nice journal here. I've seen so many of your posts. I like the pics and videos too. Nice to put a pretty face with all the posts. There seems to be a good crew on this. Maybe I should start a journal too.

Thanks! I never had a journal before. I harass the others so I figured it was only fair :)

Definitely start one!

freebirdmac
01-07-2010, 03:21 PM
My stomach is better, food intake is normal so far, but there's still some pain. I think I have a tremendous amount of acid churning around. Maybe even some rebound from the Axid I take for such things. I had planned on going to the gym tonight but Max called. He banned me. He's right, I would have been hard headed and gone in. It's not worth an injury. Another day of normal eating is called for. We're going to meet tomorrow as usual and do some sort of full body routine. Excluding chest and quads which we hit pretty good on Monday.

gman
01-07-2010, 03:29 PM
These journals are so much fun, Bob...definitely start one. You harrass us enough, you need to get some back!

gman
01-07-2010, 03:29 PM
I hate saying to think long term, because we hate missing workouts, but Max is right.

freebirdmac
01-07-2010, 03:33 PM
I hate saying to think long term, because we hate missing workouts, but Max is right.

I know he is. Which is why I'm staying home :)

Bob45
01-08-2010, 08:22 AM
My stomach is better, food intake is normal so far, but there's still some pain. I think I have a tremendous amount of acid churning around. Maybe even some rebound from the Axid I take for such things. I had planned on going to the gym tonight but Max called. He banned me. He's right, I would have been hard headed and gone in. It's not worth an injury. Another day of normal eating is called for. We're going to meet tomorrow as usual and do some sort of full body routine. Excluding chest and quads which we hit pretty good on Monday.

Thanks! I never had a journal before. I harass the others so I figured it was only fair :)

Definitely start one!

These journals are so much fun, Bob...definitely start one. You harrass us enough, you need to get some back!

It's so much easier to tell everyone else what to do! Haha.

Too bad about the stomach problems. We all seem to have something. Not being able to eat things would probably work out good for me. Cookies, cake, ice cream, pizza come to mind. At least you figured out what they are. I can't eat onions or anything spicy.

tifflex
01-08-2010, 03:56 PM
How are you feeling today?

freebirdmac
01-08-2010, 06:48 PM
How are you feeling today?

Better! Thank you!

tifflex
01-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Better! Thank you!
Great! :yep:

freebirdmac
01-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Worked out out tonight. Wasn't sure how it would go. Between my earlier tummy issues and dealing with finding out more about my friend I was ready for crash and burn. Amazingly my strength was normal for all exercises, except incline curls. Yeesh those kick my butt on a good day. Tonight I was like a weak newbie.

We had to cram 3 workouts into 1 so we just did two exercises per body part and skipped calves/abs/abductor/adductor.

Shoulders:

Seated BB (Matrix)
barx12
65x12
75x10
85x8
95x6
(ok, the last set was tough)

HS machine
70x10
80x8
90x6

Biceps:

Incline curls
15x10
20x6
20x6
(I swear Max had to help me start almost each rep. I think my wrists are a real weak point here)

Lying wide cable curls
70x10
75x8
80x6
(Need to go up next week)

Triceps:

Cable v-bar press down
50x12
65x12
85x10
95x8
105x6

Dips
bwx12
10x12
25x10
(time to add more weight)

Back:

Bent over rows
barx12
65x12
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x6
(Last set is still a toughie)

Lat pull downs
(Different cable station, different weights, had to guess)
55x10
70x8
75x6

Hams/glutes

Zercher squats
(Thanks Kim!!!)
barx10
65x10
75x8
85x6
(My bar pad came in super handy for these! No groin complaints but I will have to go slow and be careful)

Kneeling 1-leg curls
50x10
60x8
70x6

This workout is just what I needed to get the cobwebs out. Felt damn good to be in there lifting weight. Max wanted me to go light. I said no way!

blu2xtreme
01-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Great job on it getting done - especially with the other issues.
Sometimes a hard work out really helps the mind too.

buckimscl
01-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Checking in this weekend Free.

freebirdmac
01-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Sometimes you just gotta be flexible...

I was all set for chest and quads. Max hurt his hand at work and wasn't sure he could do chest. Plus he needed to get out early to hit his girlfriend's son's bb game. So we did back and traps. These bb games on Mondays may force a change for the season.

Back:

Bent over rows
65x12
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x6
(I think my back knows it did a couple of exercises on Friday)

One arm db rows
40x10
45x8
50x6
(time to go up)

Seated rows, close grip
80x10
85x8
90x6
(went up 5# on all sets)

Seated one arm cable rows
40x10
45x8
50x6
(went up 5# on sets 2 and 3)

Good mornings
65x12
85x10
95x8
105x6
(last set getting better. still need a bit more rom)

Traps:

Upright rows
35#x10x1
(Ok, where did this come from. I felt my left pec during the entire first set. I haven't done chest in a week. I did do weighted dips on Fri but I was pretty upright. I felt nothing all weekend or during back. Maybe the seated one arm cable rows??? Nothing is pulled but it feels like it had a hell of a workout. Did not do any more upright rows)

Tomorrow will definitely be quads. Not sure what else. It'll depend on Max's hand and my pec. Gotta be flexible!!!

Oh, and the resolutionists are out!!! Last week they stayed out of the free weight area. Not so tonight. It was gross!!!!!

gman
01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
the upright rows twinge my chest too, it's really strange

too bad the resolutionistas found the free weights. We seem to have escaped at the Y in the morning. I think they all go at night.

Bob45
01-11-2010, 07:44 PM
You sure get some good workouts in!

Mac
01-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks for stopping by and welcoming me. I will be watching your 'bulk' Impressive workouts

~ Mac

freebirdmac
01-11-2010, 08:37 PM
the upright rows twinge my chest too, it's really strange

too bad the resolutionistas found the free weights. We seem to have escaped at the Y in the morning. I think they all go at night.

They have never twinged my chest before. I must have done something prior and not realized it.

You sure get some good workouts in!

Thanks for stopping by and welcoming me. I will be watching your 'bulk' Impressive workouts

~ Mac

Thanks guys! I'm trying. Need to get bigger!!

bodyhard
01-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Sometimes you just gotta be flexible...

I was all set for chest and quads. Max hurt his hand at work and wasn't sure he could do chest. Plus he needed to get out early to hit his girlfriend's son's bb game. So we did back and traps. These bb games on Mondays may force a change for the season.

Back:

Bent over rows
65x12
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x6
(I think my back knows it did a couple of exercises on Friday)

One arm db rows
40x10
45x8
50x6
(time to go up)

Seated rows, close grip
80x10
85x8
90x6
(went up 5# on all sets)

Seated one arm cable rows
40x10
45x8
50x6
(went up 5# on sets 2 and 3)

Good mornings
65x12
85x10
95x8
105x6
(last set getting better. still need a bit more rom)

Traps:

Upright rows
35#x10x1
(Ok, where did this come from. I felt my left pec during the entire first set. I haven't done chest in a week. I did do weighted dips on Fri but I was pretty upright. I felt nothing all weekend or during back. Maybe the seated one arm cable rows??? Nothing is pulled but it feels like it had a hell of a workout. Did not do any more upright rows)

Tomorrow will definitely be quads. Not sure what else. It'll depend on Max's hand and my pec. Gotta be flexible!!!

Oh, and the resolutionists are out!!! Last week they stayed out of the free weight area. Not so tonight. It was gross!!!!!

Love the workout Pam, but you know me, I need to critique something. Upright rows are not primarily a trap movement, as a matter of fact, if not done correctly, (pulling from the traps ala shrugs first) they will work primarily your side and rear delts.

IMHO and I am only trying to help, you will be better with either traditional bb or db shrugs or shrugs on a calf machine for direct trap work.

freebirdmac
01-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Love the workout Pam, but you know me, I need to critique something. Upright rows are not primarily a trap movement, as a matter of fact, if not done correctly, (pulling from the traps ala shrugs first) they will work primarily your side and rear delts.

IMHO and I am only trying to help, you will be better with either traditional bb or db shrugs or shrugs on a calf machine for direct trap work.

I agree John. I ditched direct trap work several weeks ago. We had been on a routine that hit every body part twice a week. It got to the point that my traps were never recovering. Normally I'd do db shrugs, rear bb shrugs, and upright rows. I've just starting doing upright rows with a plate, elbows high to test the waters. It is probably time to at least get db shrugs back in there.

bodyhard
01-11-2010, 09:33 PM
I agree John. I ditched direct trap work several weeks ago. We had been on a routine that hit every body part twice a week. It got to the point that my traps were never recovering. Normally I'd do db shrugs, rear bb shrugs, and upright rows. I've just starting doing upright rows with a plate, elbows high to test the waters. It is probably time to at least get db shrugs back in there.

I see. Keep in mind whenever you do deadlifts you hit the traps as well.

freebirdmac
01-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I see. Keep in mind whenever you do deadlifts you hit the traps as well.

Yep. Another reason they were all beat up. Heck, it had gotten to the point that I felt them after doing chest :eek:

bodyhard
01-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Yep. Another reason they were all beat up. Heck, it had gotten to the point that I felt them after doing chest :eek:

Hmm isn't that a good thing :D

Bob45
01-12-2010, 09:24 AM
They have never twinged my chest before. I must have done something prior and not realized it.

Thanks guys! I'm trying. Need to get bigger!!

I usually get bigger doing more weight with less lifts. I try everything. Whatever works.

freebirdmac
01-12-2010, 06:41 PM
I usually get bigger doing more weight with less lifts. I try everything. Whatever works.

You're not alone in your thinking :D
I'm listening. And working on my workout partner/trainer. Maybe there will be some slow changes to our routine.

freebirdmac
01-12-2010, 06:53 PM
My pec seemed fine while Max's hand was still an issue. Still, we worked chest and just stayed away from dumbbells.

Chest and quads

Chest:

Flat bb
65x12
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x6
(I could tell I did back last night. Yeesh)

HS decline
90x10
110x8
120x8

HS incline
50x10
70x8
90x6

Seated cable
(usual standing cable was taken by a newbie)
25x12
35x10
40x8
(had to guess at weights)

Quads

Leg press
230x10
270x10
360x10
410x8
450x8
500x6

Vertical leg press (Matrix)
180x10
230x8
250x6
(need to bump weight up a tad bit)

Extensions
130x10x2 toes in/out
140x10 feet straight
(didn't realize the stick was in adding 5# to the first two sets so added 5# to last set :) )

I needed valet service to take me to my car :D

freebirdmac
01-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Oh, forgot to add, I'm dropping the hack squats since I'm going to do Zerchers on ham/glute day. That's the area it really hit anyway. That'll allow me (hopefully) to go heavier on the other quad exercises with less volume :D

I do listen!!!!

bodyhard
01-12-2010, 09:13 PM
My pec seemed fine while Max's hand was still an issue. Still, we worked chest and just stayed away from dumbbells.

Chest and quads

Chest:

Flat bb
65x12
85x10
95x10
105x8
115x6
(I could tell I did back last night. Yeesh)

HS decline
90x10
110x8
120x8

HS incline
50x10
70x8
90x6

Seated cable
(usual standing cable was taken by a newbie)
25x12
35x10
40x8
(had to guess at weights)

Quads

Leg press
230x10
270x10
360x10
410x8
450x8
500x6

Vertical leg press (Matrix)
180x10
230x8
250x6
(need to bump weight up a tad bit)

Extensions
130x10x2 toes in/out
140x10 feet straight
(didn't realize the stick was in adding 5# to the first two sets so added 5# to last set :) )

I needed valet service to take me to my car :D

Strong bench me likes! Any reason why you don't do squats or do you split your leg routine?

freebirdmac
01-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Strong bench me likes! Any reason why you don't do squats or do you split your leg routine?

I'm off squats for awhile for a couple of reasons. In the past I've had two groin pulls that knocked me off them. Started them up again in July and just got pissed off. Going atg is no biggie. I can sit on my freaking ankles. Getting out of the hole and up to parallel is a huge holdup. I was getting stuck at 95# and it wasn't getting better anytime soon. Pushing it made me vulnerable to slight wobbles which irritated my groin. It also meant my quads were not getting worked.

I switched to the plate loaded, lever squat machine which only allows movement to parallel. Got up to 230# fairly quickly. The problem then became my upper back. At the end of every set my upper back would seize up. No matter how hard I tried to keep it relaxed. All of the weight bearing down on my shoulders was too much. I was having the same problem with the standing calf machine at 175#. It was killing my upper back.

I took myself off all leg exercises that put a load on my upper back so I could focus on getting my upper back stronger. It's tough to do that when it's already toast from legs.

I had hoped deep machine hack squats would strengthen the muscles needed to get out of the hole. Those weights sure haven't increased much. Maybe switching to zerchers will help. I really don't know. I just don't want my squat issues to slow down quad development.

bodyhard
01-12-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm off squats for awhile for a couple of reasons. In the past I've had two groin pulls that knocked me off them. Started them up again in July and just got pissed off. Going atg is no biggie. I can sit on my freaking ankles. Getting out of the hole and up to parallel is a huge holdup. I was getting stuck at 95# and it wasn't getting better anytime soon. Pushing it made me vulnerable to slight wobbles which irritated my groin. It also meant my quads were not getting worked.

I switched to the plate loaded, lever squat machine which only allows movement to parallel. Got up to 230# fairly quickly. The problem then became my upper back. At the end of every set my upper back would seize up. No matter how hard I tried to keep it relaxed. All of the weight bearing down on my shoulders was too much. I was having the same problem with the standing calf machine at 175#. It was killing my upper back.

I took myself off all leg exercises that put a load on my upper back so I could focus on getting my upper back stronger. It's tough to do that when it's already toast from legs.

I had hoped deep machine hack squats would strengthen the muscles needed to get out of the hole. Those weights sure haven't increased much. Maybe switching to zerchers will help. I really don't know. I just don't want my squat issues to slow down quad development.

When you are ready to do squats again work on box squats they are perfect for working out of the hole.

Also if you have a cage at you gym you can set the pins right where you are stuck or at the very least as close to it as possible.

Start the squat from the hole this will help with the "pocket". Also it will help tremendously with the wobbling since you can adjust your foot placing from the inception not "after" the drop and push from your heals.

freebirdmac
01-12-2010, 10:03 PM
When you are ready to do squats again work on box squats they are perfect for working out of the hole.

Also if you have a cage at you gym you can set the pins right where you are stuck or at the very least as close to it as possible.

Start the squat from the hole this will help with the "pocket". Also it will help tremendously with the wobbling since you can adjust your foot placing from the inception not "after" the drop and push from your heals.

I never got how box squats would help as I see that as just going down to parallel. Maybe I don't get box squats.

I have thought about starting from the hole and going just to parallel. Hacks weren't getting me anywhere, well they were but at a snail's pace. If zerchers don't help then I'll switch to what you're suggesting.

Is it lack of glute/ham strength? Abductors/adductors? I can't figure that out. I mean I can deadlift 155# and curl 70# with one leg.

bodyhard
01-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I never got how box squats would help as I see that as just going down to parallel. Maybe I don't get box squats.

I have thought about starting from the hole and going just to parallel. Hacks weren't getting me anywhere, well they were but at a snail's pace. If zerchers don't help then I'll switch to what you're suggesting.

Is it lack of glute/ham strength? Abductors/adductors? I can't figure that out. I mean I can deadlift 155# and curl 70# with one leg.

No no no box squats are not just about going to parallel, not even close. When you do a box squat you actually pause at the bottom, then start the lift from a complete stop, you can not do this without the box, you would fall on your ass. The mistake that a lot of people make when they descend on the box is rounding their lower back once they "sit" on the box that is a big no-no.

Also on the cage, when setting the pins don't set it to parallel just to "set" it. The point of using the cage is to set the pins exactly where you are getting stuck or just below it. Once again you will be working from a complete stop, no momentum which will rely on pure power to get the weight moving, hence you will have to lower the amount of weight that you normally get stuck on or you will not get it moving.

But once you start getting stronger from your sticking point your normal squat will improve as you will not be starting from a complete stop only from a pause as I am sure you don't bounce at the bottom of your squat.

freebirdmac
01-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Found this John; http://stronglifts.com/build-explosive-strength-how-to-perform-box-squats/. I think the guy in the video did a good job explaining it. I did have the wrong idea.

bodyhard
01-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Found this John; http://stronglifts.com/build-explosive-strength-how-to-perform-box-squats/. I think the guy in the video did a good job explaining it. I did have the wrong idea.

Box squats are what helped me to get a 500lbs squat at a bodyweight of 185lbs.

freebirdmac
01-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Box squats are what helped me to get a 500lbs squat at a bodyweight of 185lbs.

I'll see what's around to use as a "box" tomorrow. Maybe it's best to do them instead of zerchers.

Bob45
01-13-2010, 10:09 AM
I'll see what's around to use as a "box" tomorrow. Maybe it's best to do them instead of zerchers.

Being able to hold a lot of weight in an arm cradle may limit you on the Zerchers. It doesn't feel so comfortable for me I know.

freebirdmac
01-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Rant coming, nonbodybuilding related.....

My dentist was setting me up for a trip to the ER today. The guy really has me pissed off. I told him, on just about every visit, that I had developed an intolerance to sulfites. Obviously the guy is not understanding or sympathetic. Maybe he thinks it's all in my head. He was going to numb me up today with something he has used in the past. Duh! I didn't have this years ago!!!! Fortunately I read the label. Sulfites. I'd have been numb for my trip to the ER! So now he's looking around for something to use and I'm asking my support group for what I know they have used. Yeesh. Heaven help me if I ever have to go to the ER unconscious. They will kill me. I find this kind of unknowledgeable, unsympathetic crap is pervasive in the medical community. Even a medic alert bracelet wouldn't do it. And sulfites would get more more attention than my corn allergy. That would be completely ignored. They'd hang a glucose drip without batting an eye. Corn? But this is glucose. Thank goodness I have a gp doc that not only gets it, but diagnosed my sulfite problem in about 5 seconds.

bodyhard
01-13-2010, 10:29 AM

Zercher squats are an alternative to front squats (not an alternative to regular bb squats) as the weight is distributed in the front of your torso.

freebirdmac
01-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Zercher squats are an alternative to front squats (not an alternative to regular bb squats) as the weight is distributed in the front of your torso.

Understood. I was using them for ham/glute development. The bonus was keeping heavy weight off of my back. That won't be a problem with box squats as it won't be very heavy.

Bob45
01-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Rant coming, nonbodybuilding related.....

My dentist was setting me up for a trip to the ER today. The guy really has me pissed off. I told him, on just about every visit, that I had developed an intolerance to sulfites. Obviously the guy is not understanding or sympathetic. Maybe he thinks it's all in my head. He was going to numb me up today with something he has used in the past. Duh! I didn't have this years ago!!!! Fortunately I read the label. Sulfites. I'd have been numb for my trip to the ER! So now he's looking around for something to use and I'm asking my support group for what I know they have used. Yeesh. Heaven help me if I ever have to go to the ER unconscious. They will kill me. I find this kind of unknowledgeable, unsympathetic crap is pervasive in the medical community. Even a medic alert bracelet wouldn't do it. And sulfites would get more more attention than my corn allergy. That would be completely ignored. They'd hang a glucose drip without batting an eye. Corn? But this is glucose. Thank goodness I have a gp doc that not only gets it, but diagnosed my sulfite problem in about 5 seconds.

Good thing you caught it in time! You sure do have to be careful of everything.

bodyhard
01-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Understood. I was using them for ham/glute development. The bonus was keeping heavy weight off of my back. That won't be a problem with box squats as it won't be very heavy.

Kool, let me know if I am being a pain in the ass OK, sometimes I help a little too much :D

freebirdmac
01-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Kool, let me know if I am being a pain in the ass OK, sometimes I help a little too much :D

No, it's fine! Not being able to get out of that hole and do decent squats has really been pissing me off. If box squats will help moreso than anything else I could possibly do, then I want to do them.

bodyhard
01-13-2010, 10:52 AM
No, it's fine! Not being able to get out of that hole and do decent squats has really been pissing me off. If box squats will help moreso than anything else I could possibly do, then I want to do them.

They will definitely help, just make sure your trainer spots your form, do not roll the lower back once you "sit" on the box, stay tight.

freebirdmac
01-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Whew! Didn't need a workout tonight, got one at home. Elliptical arrived! Unfortunately the pedals were already attached to the flywheel. So my plans on putting it upstairs was blown. Too heavy and awkward. Moved furniture around and it's now between the dining room and living room where a recliner used to be. Oh well. It's not like I entertain. It was a bitch just moving it from the garage to it's spot. My daughter pinched her finger pretty badly helping me move it. I dropped a wrench down into the totally closed up flywheel housing. My daughter finally was able to fish it out with a wire hanger and duct tape. It's all finally put together and running good. Nice and smooth, very quiet. Glad I bought a mat for it though. That was a far bigger experience than I had bargained for. Sore quads and all the needed squatting and kneeling to put the thing together didn't mix so well :)

blu2xtreme
01-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Sounds about right ...us girls can get it done when we need to.:yep:

bodyhard
01-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Whew! Didn't need a workout tonight, got one at home. Elliptical arrived! Unfortunately the pedals were already attached to the flywheel. So my plans on putting it upstairs was blown. Too heavy and awkward. Moved furniture around and it's now between the dining room and living room where a recliner used to be. Oh well. It's not like I entertain. It was a bitch just moving it from the garage to it's spot. My daughter pinched her finger pretty badly helping me move it. I dropped a wrench down into the totally closed up flywheel housing. My daughter finally was able to fish it out with a wire hanger and duct tape. It's all finally put together and running good. Nice and smooth, very quiet. Glad I bought a mat for it though. That was a far bigger experience than I had bargained for. Sore quads and all the needed squatting and kneeling to put the thing together didn't mix so well :)

Reps on recharge, just for the fact that you do shit on your own. Much props!

Bob45
01-14-2010, 12:27 PM

A new workout toy. Great. No boyfriend or husband to help?

Speaking of sore legs. I was at GNC looking for a good protein powder. They were all on the bottom shelf. My legs were killing me. People kept coming and I had to keep getting up.

freebirdmac
01-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Reps on recharge, just for the fact that you do shit on your own. Much props!

Thanks John! If I don't do it, it won't get done :)

A new workout toy. Great. No boyfriend or husband to help?

Nope.

Bob45
01-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks John! If I don't do it, it won't get done :)

Nope.

You like my sneaky way of finding that out? Are you going to the Arnold?

freebirdmac
01-14-2010, 12:44 PM
You like my sneaky way of finding that out? Are you going to the Arnold?

It's common knowledge for most :)

No. Money and my daughter are keeping me home this go around. I'm hoping some folks come out for Mike's comp in Aug. He's the only one I've met so far.

Bob45
01-14-2010, 01:03 PM
It's common knowledge for most :)

No. Money and my daughter are keeping me home this go around. I'm hoping some folks come out for Mike's comp in Aug. He's the only one I've met so far.

I've been on different boards for a few years now. Never met anyone. It's amazing how good you get to know people online. It sure would be interesting meeting the people you've been online with for years or even a short time. I wonder how the whole Arnold thing is? If I go alone will I even know where to go? Will it be mobbed with people and no where to sit? I'll have to talk to people that have gone. Everyone talks about partying together. Wonder where they all meet up?

freebirdmac
01-14-2010, 06:57 PM
I've had a bit of a tension headache all day. Neck muscles and traps are tight. I should have taken some Motrin. But I was tough....make that stupid!

Shoulders/hams/glutes

Shoulders:

Seated bb press (Matrix)
bar x12
65x12
85x8
95x6

HS machine
70x10
80x8
90x6

Rear flye machine
45x10
50x8
55x8
(time to go up)

Front bb raises
20x3
(wtf is up with my left pec??? I felt it on upright rows Mon. Did NOT feel it during chest on Tues. Yet I felt it on front raises? I even picked up a couple of 5# db and could feel it. Yeesh)

Hams/glutes

Box squats
(First time at this. Stool I found puts me right about parallel)
barx10
65x10
85x10
(felt right abductor. I've had two groin pulls here. narrowed stance and straightened feet)
95x8
100x6
(Ok, I admit I bounced on last set. This is the weight where I'd start failing on atg squats. Promise I won't bounce next time)

RDL:
115x10
135x10
145x8
(This is why I should have taken Motrin! I thought my head would explode as my traps tensed up even more. Didn't do 155x6 for that reason)

Cable kickbacks
45x10
50x8
55x6

Abductors
135x12x3
(skipped adductors, no need to entice another groin pull)

I feel my right adductors every time I lift my right leg. It's not pulled, but it's complaining. Funny how the wider stance zerchers felt better than the squats.

Came home and took Motrin :)

bodyhard
01-14-2010, 07:03 PM
I've had a bit of a tension headache all day. Neck muscles and traps are tight. I should have taken some Motrin. But I was tough....make that stupid!

Shoulders/hams/glutes

Shoulders:

Seated bb press (Matrix)
bar x12
65x12
85x8
95x6

HS machine
70x10
80x8
90x6

Rear flye machine
45x10
50x8
55x8
(time to go up)

Front bb raises
20x3
(wtf is up with my left pec??? I felt it on upright rows Mon. Did NOT feel it during chest on Tues. Yet I felt it on front raises? I even picked up a couple of 5# db and could feel it. Yeesh)

Hams/glutes

Box squats
(First time at this. Stool I found puts me right about parallel)
barx10
65x10
85x10
(felt right abductor. I've had two groin pulls here. narrowed stance and straightened feet)
95x8
100x6
(Ok, I admit I bounced on last set. This is the weight where I'd start failing on atg squats. Promise I won't bounce next time)

RDL:
115x10
135x10
145x8
(This is why I should have taken Motrin! I thought my head would explode as my traps tensed up even more. Didn't do 155x6 for that reason)

Cable kickbacks
45x10
50x8
55x6

Abductors
135x12x3
(skipped adductors, no need to entice another groin pull)

I feel my right adductors every time I lift my right leg. It's not pulled, but it's complaining. Funny how the wider stance zerchers felt better than the squats.

Came home and took Motrin :)

Sex is the best remedy for tension headaches.

Great workout!

freebirdmac
01-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Sex is the best remedy for tension headaches.

Great workout!

Sex? I vaguely remember such a thing...

bodyhard
01-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Are you fucking kidding me? Please tell me you are bullshitting me.

Down4whatever
01-14-2010, 07:12 PM

I hear ya sister! You got your membership card yet? :D

freebirdmac
01-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Are you fucking kidding me? Please tell me you are bullshitting me.

You don't remember from the other site? I haven't dated in over 6 years.

I hear ya sister! You got your membership card yet? :D

Got it? I'm the freaking president!

bodyhard
01-14-2010, 07:16 PM
You don't remember from the other site? I haven't dated in over 6 years.

Oh yeah I remember, I made a fucked up comment to.

OK that's it the next time I am in VA I am going to your house and we are going to have sex, lots of it, whether you like it or not.

Down4whatever
01-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Oh yeah I remember, I made a fucked up comment to.

OK that's it the next time I am in VA I am going to your house and we are going to have sex, lots of it, whether you like it or not.

Get in line man! :D:D

freebirdmac
01-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Lol!

Neither of you guys can or will get past my daughter :p

bodyhard
01-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Get in line man! :D:D

Matt I got mad love for ya buddy, but I don't get in line for no man, step to the fucking rear!

Except for husbands I got mad respect for husbands I wait till they leave. ;)

bodyhard
01-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Lol!

Neither of you guys can or will get past my daughter :p

ohhhhh Pam you lucky I really like ya, I was going get down and dirty with ya :D :D

But out of respect to the "older" crowd I will behave.

Back to your regular programming!

freebirdmac
01-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Arms/abs/calves

Bicep:

Incline curls
10x10
15x10
20x10
20x8
(Did much better with these this week. I have to really focus on keeping my wrist curled up. If it straightens out it becomes my weak point and the weights won't come up)

Rope curls, no flare
55x10
60x8
65x6

Lying wide curls
75x10
80x8
85x6

Standing db preacher curls
15x20
20x15
25x10

Tricep:

v-bar press superset with straight bar reverse pull downs
60x12/35x15
85x10/35x15
95x8/35x15
105x6/35x15

db press
3x30x10

rope press, pause at flare
35x12
50x10
55x8
(had to find my weight)

dips
10x10
25x10
25x8
(I was expecting my left pec to complain, but it didn't! Seems it only wants to complain when I do something that shouldn't involve chest)

Abs/calves????
My daughter's semester started this week. Her biology lab got out an hour early. Had to leave and pick her up. Little shit will be 18 next month and still doesn't even have a leaner's permit. No interest. Grrrr. I may go to the gym tomorrow to do abs and calves.

tifflex
01-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Box Squats will improve explosivesness. Layne has me doing them and I love what they've done for regular squats.

Cool! I have a treadmill and am thinking about buying a recumbent bike as I'll be doing more cardio soon.

What if you're not her, um, type:confused::p?

Arms/abs/calves

Bicep:

Incline curls
10x10
15x10
20x10
20x8
(Did much better with these this week. I have to really focus on keeping my wrist curled up. If it straightens out it becomes my weak point and the weights won't come up)

Rope curls, no flare
55x10
60x8
65x6

Lying wide curls
75x10
80x8
85x6

Standing db preacher curls
15x20
20x15
25x10

Tricep:

v-bar press superset with straight bar reverse pull downs
60x12/35x15
85x10/35x15
95x8/35x15
105x6/35x15

db press
3x30x10

rope press, pause at flare
35x12
50x10
55x8
(had to find my weight)

dips
10x10
25x10
25x8
(I was expecting my left pec to complain, but it didn't! Seems it only wants to complain when I do something that shouldn't involve chest)

Abs/calves????
My daughter's semester started this week. Her biology lab got out an hour early. Had to leave and pick her up. Little shit will be 18 next month and still doesn't even have a leaner's permit. No interest. Grrrr. I may go to the gym tomorrow to do abs and calves.
Excellent work Pam! For lying curls, are you lying on a flat or incline bench?

I didn't get my license until I was a sophomore in college:o.

Enjoy your weekend!

freebirdmac
01-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Box Squats will improve explosivesness. Layne has me doing them and I love what they've done for regular squats.

Cool! I have a treadmill and am thinking about buying a recumbent bike as I'll be doing more cardio soon.

What if you're not her, um, type:confused::p?

Excellent work Pam! For lying curls, are you lying on a flat or incline bench?

I didn't get my license until I was a sophomore in college:o.

Enjoy your weekend!

I sure hope box squats will help. It's aggravating as hell to stall out at 100# when doing atg squats. My quads just laugh at me.

Lying curls are on the floor. I steal a mat from the yoga room. Completely ignoring all of the signs that say "Do not remove mats from room" :D
The great thing about doing them on the floor is you can easily keep your elbows on the floor. No cheating! You know instantly if they move. Good back support too.

So you're another one of those late bloomers :p I sure hope she gets motivated soon. It'll get more complicated as time goes on.

freebirdmac
01-16-2010, 11:27 AM
I went to bed at 10 last night. Didn't get up until 9:30 when the phone rang!!! Ok, I got up twice during the night to go to the bathroom but I didn't wake up at 5-6am like I usually do. That's a long sleep I haven't had in years.

Bob45
01-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Too bad you don't have a journal here Tiffany.

I sure hope box squats will help. It's aggravating as hell to stall out at 100# when doing atg squats. My quads just laugh at me.

Lying curls are on the floor. I steal a mat from the yoga room. Completely ignoring all of the signs that say "Do not remove mats from room" :D
The great thing about doing them on the floor is you can easily keep your elbows on the floor. No cheating! You know instantly if they move. Good back support too.

So you're another one of those late bloomers :p I sure hope she gets motivated soon. It'll get more complicated as time goes on.

If ATG squats give you so much trouble why don't you try it donw to a point where you feel solid instead. It's sure better than no squats. Lots of people don't go all the way down and have plenty of muscle in their legs. I'll probabaly get some slack for my ideas but there is something and some way for everyone.

freebirdmac
01-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Too bad you don't have a journal here Tiffany.

If ATG squats give you so much trouble why don't you try it donw to a point where you feel solid instead. It's sure better than no squats. Lots of people don't go all the way down and have plenty of muscle in their legs. I'll probabaly get some slack for my ideas but there is something and some way for everyone.

Yeah, I thought about just going to parallel and I did switch to a plate loaded squat machine. Earlier in the journal I answered John's question about why I wasn't squatting. Basically I needed to drop leg exercises that put lots of weight on my back. For now.

Bob45
01-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I thought about just going to parallel and I did switch to a plate loaded squat machine. Earlier in the journal I answered John's question about why I wasn't squatting. Basically I needed to drop leg exercises that put lots of weight on my back. For now.

I think you look great the way you are. Just add a little fat.

freebirdmac
01-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I think you look great the way you are. Just add a little fat.

Add fat???? :eek:
Maybe I'll need more eventually. Like after I add another 10 pounds of muscle :D

Bob45
01-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Add fat???? :eek:
Maybe I'll need more eventually. Like after I add another 10 pounds of muscle :D

Another thing to think about is it's hard to build muscle with real low bodyfat. Men with less than 8% sometimes even a little more have a harder time. Not sure about the numbers for women. I know they are much higher.

gman
01-16-2010, 12:22 PM
I went to bed at 10 last night. Didn't get up until 9:30 when the phone rang!!! Ok, I got up twice during the night to go to the bathroom but I didn't wake up at 5-6am like I usually do. That's a long sleep I haven't had in years.

you feeling ok?

freebirdmac
01-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Another thing to think about is it's hard to build muscle with real low bodyfat. Men with less than 8% sometimes even a little more have a harder time. Not sure about the numbers for women. I know they are much higher.

I think I'm about 18%, mostly in lower body. So I'm not terribly low.

you feeling ok?

Yeah, I was just tired. I don't get enough sleep during the week. I usually nap a lot on weekends as I can'e usually sleep in.

Baldiewonkanobi
01-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Birdie...we need a thong shot like Blu's in order to further evaluate your fat. ;)

Baldie

freebirdmac
01-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Birdie...we need a thong shot like Blu's in order to further evaluate your fat. ;)

Baldie

Fat chance!!!!!!
:no:

Bob45
01-16-2010, 03:01 PM

Baldie

You looked super lean in the pics! I wouldn't have guessed 18%. Whatever, i just better shut up and try to stick to joking around. He's right we need a pic from all angles.

gman
01-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Fat chance!!!!!!
:no:

Lean chance?

Down4whatever
01-16-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm guessing one without any clothes is outta the question :dunno:

freebirdmac
01-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Progress picts I have posted are revealing enough for me.