PDA

View Full Version : 15 weeks out from Inbf show comments please

Jaredmus
12-08-2009, 09:42 AM
This is me about 15 weeks out from my first INBF show. Little history I competed in the NPC long island and Npc atlantic states last year in the teen 13-17. I won teen of the week on bodybuilding.com a few weeks ago, just picked up a sponsership from Genr8 Vitargo. And heres a vid of me posing would love any type of critisicm.

YouTube- Jared Petrassi Posing 15 weeks out BETTER camera

J. Daniels
12-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Looking good for 15 weeks out.

I would recommend working on your posing. The actual poses look great but the transitions are pretty ridiculous. Way too dramatic, to the point of silly. Be aware of your facial expressions too.

After the show you should work on bringing your legs up to match your upper body.

Stick with your diet and you should do well. Good luck!!

ironstudent
12-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Work on your muscle control, and posing overall. Try to be smooth. Look good though for 15 weeks, good luck.

JYD
12-08-2009, 10:12 AM

I would recommend working on your posing. The actual poses look great but the transitions are pretty ridiculous. Way too dramatic, to the point of silly. Be aware of your facial expressions too.

After the show you should work on bringing your legs up to match your upper body.

very true... too shakey on the poses, should work on your connection w/ your quads so you don't have to check to make sure they r flexing the way you want... good news is these r little things and u got 15 weeks. good luck and keep us updated!

Jaredmus
12-08-2009, 10:15 AM

thanks a lot, yeah believe it or not i really brought my legs up i competed and they were about 21 inches in june they are up to about 24.5 inches now, i want to compete with the smae size just ripped up, thanks, yeah i know my posing needs lots of work

juiceinator3000
12-08-2009, 10:21 AM
your first side relaxed looks a little funky. in your side tris after you blow your abs out dont relax them. need a thicker back, and legs as stated previously. hands on hips is a better MM for you than crab imo. what inbf show you doing?

Jaredmus
12-08-2009, 10:25 AM
your first side relaxed looks a little funky. in your side tris after you blow your abs out dont relax them. need a thicker back, and legs as stated previously. hands on hips is a better MM for you than crab imo. what inbf show you doing?

you critiqued me perfectly, ive been working on back thickness(Width is not a problem IMO) like crazy, my strength is going nuts, i deadlifted 455x2 the other day, tbar row 5 plates for 10. IDk its a rought area, I brought my legs up quite a bit and still have more to go, Im doing the INBf Norther States Super natural and 2 nga shows in following weeks.

chris250
12-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Your side relaxed shots dont look right..Your making yourself look smaller than what you really are...Conditioning, looks good for 15 weeks out...Arms could come up, to match with everything else better

juiceinator3000
12-08-2009, 10:31 AM
yea i just realized your a teen. keep puttin your time in and the size will come. in the meantime work on the posing a lot you're not going to put a lot of size on while prepping for a show naturally. don't lighten those weights up just because your precontest either thats a great way to lose all that hard earned muscle.

Jaredmus
12-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Your side relaxed shots dont look right..Your making yourself look smaller than what you really are...Conditioning, looks good for 15 weeks out...Arms could come up, to match with everything else better

I know man Great job at nationals man, You looked good.. I know my main focus is to bring everything up but more importantly just thickness i did ok since i competed last time i was really little.

This vid is from when i competed in june as you can see i brought up my legs alot since then..YouTube- Jared Petrassi NPC Long Island 2009

Jaredmus
12-08-2009, 10:36 AM
yea i just realized your a teen. keep puttin your time in and the size will come. in the meantime work on the posing a lot you're not going to put a lot of size on while prepping for a show naturally. don't lighten those weights up just because your precontest either thats a great way to lose all that hard earned muscle.

O im fully aware of that, yeah i turned 18 in septemeber and am 100% natty not bragging about it just putting it out there im 5"11 around 198 in the morning looking to get to about 180 and really ripped

Bacon Boy
12-08-2009, 11:10 AM
HOLD YOUR POSES WHILE PRACTICING FOR AT LEAST 15 SECONDS!!! I have had judges make my line up hold for front relaxed for 2 mins straight twice in a row just trying to get us to crack...

debbiebramwell
12-08-2009, 11:21 AM
vid doesnt show for me just a blank box...can someone repost it?thanks!:) ok nevermind it just showed up

Jaredmus
12-08-2009, 12:34 PM
thanks for the feedback

MusclesMarinara
12-08-2009, 01:24 PM
like everyone else said. work on your posing.

Tre
12-08-2009, 01:31 PM
455x2 is a big lift. Nice.

Big upper body, little bitty legs, but you're so young that it doesn't matter. Look damn good overall for 18.

My only recommendation for right NOW is to make sure everyone makes up their beds before you shoot anymore vids in your dorm room. ;)

MusclesMarinara
12-08-2009, 01:33 PM
455x2 is a big lift. Nice.

Big upper body, little bitty legs, but you're so young that it doesn't matter. Look damn good overall for 18.

My only recommendation for right NOW is to make sure everyone makes up their beds before you shoot anymore vids in your dorm room. ;)

are u in a girls dorm room? lol

Jaredmus
12-08-2009, 02:38 PM
are u in a girls dorm room? lol

yes i am its my gfs dorm. The girl who walks in the back of my VID IS NOT MY GIRLFRIEND, shes some annyoing girl who walked in the dorm, pain in that ass.

Yeah im filming my deadlifts on friday,
And this is my blog with my buddies kevin and lester, pretty interesting following our path to our natural pro cards
http://brockport.wordpress.com/

debbiebramwell
12-08-2009, 02:49 PM
is there anyone you can hire or find to help you with posing? I think someone posted links somewhere on here for posing videos. Posing makes a huge difference. it is hard to try an help you correct it all on here. Some things I could tell you is to pose from the ground up. Also on stage the judges are lower then you so you would want to tilt forward slighty for them(dont lean back). Your elbows should be forward and fists back for bicep shots. Dont touch yourself alot when posing and also hold your poses longer. Open up your back for back double bicep instead of scrunching. Your legs do look better now then in the video(you moved too fast in the poses) Good job, you are young and will keep getting better!

The Big Sexy
12-08-2009, 02:51 PM
18 and 15 weeks out.. looking good for what you have bro. Posing, posing, posing. Best thing to do is to find an experienced bodybuilder near you and have him help you out with posing. I don't think any of us here can walk you through it with posts - you need some help for sure.

Jaredmus
12-08-2009, 06:06 PM
18 and 15 weeks out.. looking good for what you have bro. Posing, posing, posing. Best thing to do is to find an experienced bodybuilder near you and have him help you out with posing. I don't think any of us here can walk you through it with posts - you need some help for sure.

Thanks a lot, yeah im working on my posing about 4 days a week for ten minutes, we are working on opening up my back even though its not thick, it is very wide for a natty teen IMO, these 2 guys are helping me with my posing they are 2 of my closest friends and training partners

YouTube- Lester Gale INBF Oct 10 2009
thats lester gale a future WNBF pro

and this is KEvin Schocek who is going for his pro card in march
YouTube- Kevin Schosek - 15.5 Weeks Out

Definately 2 guys on my side in my above post i mentioned the 3 of us having a blog and we are all sponsered By Vitargo, Big shout out we wont dissapoint. Thanks for the feedback,

debbiebramwell
12-08-2009, 07:44 PM
yikes, the first guy wasnt real bad at posing. tell him to slow down, he was moving way to fast . he could use a little help as well. 2nd guy was ok, little hard to tell since he wasnt posing his bottom half. You(or all 3 of you) need to find someone who can really show you the art of posing. Also when you practice you need to hold those poses for a minute each at least. good luck!

Jaredmus
12-08-2009, 07:50 PM
yikes, the first guy wasnt real bad at posing. tell him to slow down, he was moving way to fast . he could use a little help as well. 2nd guy was ok, little hard to tell since he wasnt posing his bottom half. You(or all 3 of you) need to find someone who can really show you the art of posing. Also when you practice you need to hold those poses for a minute each at least. good luck!
thank you, i dont think were that terrible clearly amatures, but still not terrible. thanks Debbie

debbiebramwell
12-08-2009, 07:56 PM
thank you, i dont think were that terrible clearly amatures, but still not terrible. thanks Debbie

nothing you cant fix with the right help;)it makes a huge difference to be able to show your physique in the right way cant wait to see more posing as you improve:)

GENESIS
12-08-2009, 08:17 PM
thank you, i dont think were that terrible clearly amatures, but still not terrible. thanks Debbiegotta accept critizism better. it was pretty terrible posing. the physique isnt bad, just the posing.

Bestia
12-08-2009, 08:36 PM
As an NPC judge, I will say that the vid of you posing in your show and that of your buddy in his show both reflect overly fluid routines. By this, I mean that you're not hitting the pose at all but rather moving into the pose and moving on before hitting and holding it. Most of the judges I know prefer to see the muscle being presented as clearly as possible. For beginners, I recommend a one thousand one, one thousand two count once in the pose. As you get a feel for hitting and holding the poses correctly and with confidence, then you can focus on tempo changes, high/low level changes, moving around the stage, etc. Also, one more suggestion I have is in reference to your buddy's routine - while many people make gestures asking for crowd feedback/applause, people will cheer on their own if your body and your presentation warrant it.

When practicing mandatories, find a mirror with fair lighting (not overly favorable, but not washout city either). Pose each mandatory until you think it looks like it should. Once you are confident you have the poses down, then practice holding each one for 30 seconds with the pose looking just as good after 30 seconds as it did from the start. Then, when you have the form and you have the endurance, practice hitting your poses with your eyes closed. When you think you have the pose correct, open your eyes and verify. This will give you a feeling of what it is like not to have a mirror in front of you onstage. When you master this, then do the 30 second thing, but with your eyes closed as well. Once you have accomplished all of this, I think you will find your polish and presentation will be markedly improved, but your confidence will shine through as well.

Best of luck in your show and continued health and good training.

Jaredmus
12-08-2009, 08:54 PM
As an NPC judge, I will say that the vid of you posing in your show and that of your buddy in his show both reflect overly fluid routines. By this, I mean that you're not hitting the pose at all but rather moving into the pose and moving on before hitting and holding it. Most of the judges I know prefer to see the muscle being presented as clearly as possible. For beginners, I recommend a one thousand one, one thousand two count once in the pose. As you get a feel for hitting and holding the poses correctly and with confidence, then you can focus on tempo changes, high/low level changes, moving around the stage, etc. Also, one more suggestion I have is in reference to your buddy's routine - while many people make gestures asking for crowd feedback/applause, people will cheer on their own if your body and your presentation warrant it.

When practicing mandatories, find a mirror with fair lighting (not overly favorable, but not washout city either). Pose each mandatory until you think it looks like it should. Once you are confident you have the poses down, then practice holding each one for 30 seconds with the pose looking just as good after 30 seconds as it did from the start. Then, when you have the form and you have the endurance, practice hitting your poses with your eyes closed. When you think you have the pose correct, open your eyes and verify. This will give you a feeling of what it is like not to have a mirror in front of you onstage. When you master this, then do the 30 second thing, but with your eyes closed as well. Once you have accomplished all of this, I think you will find your polish and presentation will be markedly improved, but your confidence will shine through as well.

Best of luck in your show and continued health and good training.

Thanks so much im really going to bust my ass in all aspects for this show thanks everyone, and i am accepting it i wouldnt say it was terrible though

mattj255
12-09-2009, 06:19 AM
YouTube- Jared Petrassi Posing 15 weeks out BETTER camera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDYEQ5f8e7I)

Did you spit on yourself at 1:52?

GENESIS
12-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Did you spit on yourself at 1:52?

haha yea i think he did.

Jaredmus
12-09-2009, 11:32 AM
i think i may have or it might have been a piece of gum

sassy69
12-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Someone posted this on a different board -- pretty good, just wish they had someone w/ just posing trunks and lean enough to show the pose and what it is activating....
Bodybuilding Poses

Also on the 'other videos' list on the right side of this page, scroll down & you'll see several sections of a bodybuilding seminar that are useful. They are all posted by the same person - "FitnessAtlantic.com" - you can search on that name as well.
I also like these from Bob Chichirillo
YouTube- How To Pose Part (1)
YouTube- How To Pose Part (2)
YouTube- How To Pose Part (3)
YouTube- Top Five Tips (4)
YouTube- How To Pose Part (5)

Here's another resource I came across on another board. Joe Franco - posing as well as contest prep list / tips (Scroll down towards the bottom for some podcasts.)
http://franco_j.tripod.com/competitionpc.html

debbiebramwell
12-09-2009, 05:22 PM
ahh there sassy is with those videos...thanks girl! that should help some. Looking forward to the future videos.:)

Jaredmus
12-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Thank you so much

sassy69
12-09-2009, 06:21 PM
My comments echo a lot of what you've heard above. Also note that I might sound picky because I am a hardass about posing because I love it so much. The ART of posing is half the reason I compete. I"m not saying I"m the best, but to me this is the performance aspect of this sport. WHen its done well, people just friggen love it. Otherwise you're just going thru the motions.

First you've got a great back & some good size. At 15 weeks out, you're in a nice place. If anything I'd tell you to try to preserve as much muscle as you can while you cut.

For posing, I really like the above Bob Chic videos because he does it in front of a corner mirror so you can see all angles.

All your poses - set them up, legs first, then the rest, hit them fast and hold. Don't spend so much time tweaking and twitching. On the mandatories, once you set, lock & hold, you can then display to the judges - e.g. right to left, make eye contact, smile, don't look like you're about to give birth. On all of them - chest up, abs in, head/chin up (looks like you have a tendency to sink your chin into your shoulders), always think long & lean.

Quarter turns - hit them and hold. Don't twitch around and spend half your time setting your feet. Work on nice clean foot transitions - this will also be a solid investment in your ability to do clean transitions in your posing routines. You can't stop and spend 10 min getting your feet side by side. You also don't have a lot of time to spend making the turns if they call them out quickly you want to spend your time showing your physique, not being 2 steps behind everyone else.

A note on side relaxed poses - I'm not familiar with how INBF requires these - but at some shows (and not consistently so you can't assume) in the NPC, they will tell you to put your arms to your sides and stand straight to the side instead of the sort of side twist to show chest & tri - you might practice that as well - some people literally get lost if they are told to change how they learned to pose while on stage. One thing you can do is do the quarter turn and stance the way you are practicing ( with the side twist) while people are still "turning" and then at the last second, settle into the facing the side, arms to your sides stance.

And don't bend your knees so much on all your poses, you're just inches away from looking like you're going to take a dump. A little bend in the knees - like the same as when you do calf raises on the leg press - just short of lock out, is sufficient. Too much and it just looks weird.

Also remember that you might have to hold any given relaxed or mandatory poses for long periods of time. Practice holding all of your poses for 30 sec each right now, and frankly, I"d work up to a minute, at least for your quarter turns. And while you're doing it, learn how to flex 70% but look like you're showing 100%. Little things like gripping the floor w/ your toes (like you're grabbing somethign w/ your toes) will get your quad detail to pop w/ looking like you're in agony. This goes towards your conditioning, endurance (your breathing as well) as well as practicing your ability to control your muscles and possibly even workign thru cramps if you feel them coming.

An example of when I think I was holding a front relaxed this summer was during callouts for a class of 20 girls - I think I was holding for a good 10 minutes and of all the stuff that was sore after that, it was my upper back/delts and quads from holding that pose for so long.

Side poses - like mentioned - don't squat down so far. If you want to reach down and feel your hamstring activating, fine but do it quickly - otherwise it looks like people who do that to draw attention to it. Unless you've got Tommi Thorvildson hams, don't do that.
Side tri poses you want to look long & lean - here's where you want to make your waist look as tiny as possible - chest up, suck in the abs and rotate from the waist to display your tri to the whole row of judges. Same on side chest - I like to use this picture of Arnold to help use visualization of "chest up"

http://i50.tinypic.com/xeoojn.jpg

Generally I"d suggest setting up your legs first on all your poses - plant them and then do your upper body. You kinda do that when you're setting up your abs&thighs or your crab pose - but when you get to the upper body pose, you need to get to it & hold it. Too much twitching and fiddling around is just distracting. Especially when you are doing your mandatories -they may call them quickly so you don't have time to do a dramatic set up - hit it and hold.

For posing routines, think of each pose as a photo op - even in a routine - these are the pictures that go up on websites. For the NPC, both MD & RX are showing snaps from the nite show & posing routine. If your poses aren't clean & tight, your pix are never going to do justice to teh actual pose that you may have just blown thru on your way to the next one. I generally follow the rule of every pose I hit, I count out 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000 before I move on. This helps me pace myself when I have no other cues. E.g. 60 sec no music routine, or even w/ music. I tend to go fast when I'm up on stage, so if I count out 3 seconds for each pose, I know exactly how long it will take me to finish my sequence. Everything I do on stage is geared towards looking like I"m completely on top of what I"m presenting. Stuff like screwing around w/ poses, or flaking out during call outs (when you're not getting called but just standing in relaxed pose), fidgeting a lot, not finishing on cue, being behind the group with the pose callouts, etc. All of it just goes towards looking like you don't know what you're doing. Some will argue that its good to stand out, but generally you better have the physique w/o the attitude to warrant that sort of action. Otherwise IMO it just looks like you aren't prepared. LIke noted above - if you've got the physique and your posing is tight, that speaks for itself. Anything less is a distraction or you having to draw attention to yourself.

And I think everyone is giving you kinda hardass critiques because you look like you want to bring it. You've got the general posing, but you really need to clean it up. I think we're setting the bar higher for you because you can achieve it. The problem is that when you go up on stage, doign anything halfway or not quite right, just stands out like a sore thumb and is such a huge indicator of how "prepared" you are. I understand everyone has to start somewhere, and better presentation comes w/ more time on stage - but the critique that you're getting here is exactly what will get you there. I did my first show in 2000, and I'm still perfecting my posing 9 years later. I still start my posing at 16 weeks out and spend 15-20 min every day running through all the poses, and increasingly holding them for 15 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 60 sec. By the time you're 4 weeks out you should be more at like 30 min posing, plus more time working on your routine. The more time you spend, and the more critique you get from objective viewers, the more you'll learn to "feel" your muscles the best and find out how you 'wear" the poses the best for your physique.

For a guy who just turned 18, you've got an amazing back and wear your size well for your height. I think you need a little more in the arms to match the size of your back, and the legs will come, but tall guys have many challenges getting a balanced physique and wearing it well. Its because of your height that things like squatting too far down on your side poses ruins the long vertical shape you want- it makes you look smaller and makes the wrong silhouette. Learn to use your size to look that much bigger vs just lanky or awkward.

If anything, I know I'm very excited to watch your transformation over the next 4 months!

raylove
12-10-2009, 01:15 AM
dang great physiques man i dont think the posing is all that bad maybe just a little bit of refinement is all. That second buddy of yours looks pretty good too. how did you guys get sponsored by vitargo? Are they always looking for athletes? Im 21 and goin for my natty pro card maybe by the end of july at Dr. Joe Ks show in Indiana and would love to see if they are looking for more natural athletes. Are those guys doing your prep too or are you maybe goin with a guy like layne norton?

*RedStar*
12-10-2009, 01:17 AM
You dont have nearly enough muscle on that tall frame of yours to be competing at this moment and time.. just my opinion.. take 2 yrs and get as big as possible and then cut down to see whats up.

juiceinator3000
12-10-2009, 07:47 AM
You dont have nearly enough muscle on that tall frame of yours to be competing at this moment and time.. just my opinion.. take 2 yrs and get as big as possible and then cut down to see whats up.

hes competing in the teen division.

Jaredmus
12-10-2009, 11:02 AM
RAy love, Yes they are both helping with my prep.
Any to the other person, How many natural guys do you see and say wow they have so much muscle on their frame. And i just turned 18 so i think im doing ok. Thanks for your input, and natty guys come in pealed amd thats what im going to do.
Will be posting a vid every week of my progress

raylove
12-10-2009, 08:04 PM
RAy love, Yes they are both helping with my prep.
Any to the other person, How many natural guys do you see and say wow they have so much muscle on their frame. And i just turned 18 so i think im doing ok. Thanks for your input, and natty guys come in pealed amd thats what im going to do.
Will be posting a vid every week of my progress
sweet bro hopefully youll kill it and someday you and your buddies and i will all be competing against each other soon on a wnbf pro stage for the whopping prize money lol!

JamesWebb
12-10-2009, 08:08 PM
hes competing in the teen division.

and its a natural show, none of those guys carry very much muscle to the stage. natural shows are all about condition.

Jaredmus
12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
thats what i want to bring great condition, and no not for the money i just want to look my best and win

KevinSchosek
12-13-2009, 01:02 PM
14 WEEKS let's get it!

Jaredmus
12-13-2009, 07:06 PM
14 WEEKS let's get it!
yeah kevo lets do this man,

fltallpaul
12-14-2009, 10:59 AM
I think your physique looks good for this point out as long as you are putting in the work each week to lose the bodyfat you will be fine with that aspect.

The posing I would suggest learning to get into your poses quicker and holding them. Often times when shows are large the judges will move quickly through the poses and if you are transitioning you will not get to display everything, then you will be trying to catch up and rush your poses. When your on stage they won't wait for you. If you haven't practiced moving quickly you may get flustered as well. Rememeber you work for months and will only be up there a few minutes. Being lean and your posing should be your biggest concerns once the diet starts.

Keep us updated, and kick some butt on stage!

Jaredmus
12-14-2009, 06:26 PM
I think your physique looks good for this point out as long as you are putting in the work each week to lose the bodyfat you will be fine with that aspect.

The posing I would suggest learning to get into your poses quicker and holding them. Often times when shows are large the judges will move quickly through the poses and if you are transitioning you will not get to display everything, then you will be trying to catch up and rush your poses. When your on stage they won't wait for you. If you haven't practiced moving quickly you may get flustered as well. Rememeber you work for months and will only be up there a few minutes. Being lean and your posing should be your biggest concerns once the diet starts.

Keep us updated, and kick some butt on stage!

Thanks a lot paul, its a smaller inbf show, and my buddy kev who posted a above and i posted the vid of him, is competing and going for his procard.! shout out to KEVIN

JRob
12-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Hitting and holding each pose will condition you and the muscle. What if the judges ask you to hit a side tri and your so used to practicing them for a couple quick seconds at a time. The judges see a tough lineup and take their time in this pose and maybe others to score those on stage. You dont want to be the the guy losing control and sucking air with your stomach puffing in and out do you?

Pose in sets, at this point its about right to do 1set a day holding each pose for about 15seconds and really hitting every muscle from bottom to top and learning control for prolonged periods of time. 1set would be your quarter turns and all the mandatories.

As the show grows closer I first up the time I hold my poses to 20seconds. Then comes the amount of sets I do in a day. Your amount of free time and dedication will play a big role because posing long and hard is tough, especially when depleted! I grew into posing for 20seconds each pose 3sets a day about several weeks out. Brutal practice yes, but on stage my stomach control was as if I wasnt even breathing and could hold a pose for as long as needed without breaking a sweat.

s2h
12-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Debbie hit it on the head,your young and its great your passionate about the sport and your muscle development is very good for a 18 year old,but your posing is terrible.dont know if you train at school or home,but if you have a gym near by that has some BB's w/ experience you could use some real help w/ posing,it could make the diffference between 5,6 7 places,it 's just not very good and thats understandable your a young guy and posing is a difficult thing to get down.good luck and keep working hard!!!