PDA

View Full Version : what really works?

tammyp
03-03-2009, 08:33 AM
i dont put much stock in alot of supplements. what do you all think gives real results and what is total BS?

Sledge
03-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Good quality WPI without all the crap added
Multi vitamin

Thats about it realy

GirlyMuscle
03-03-2009, 08:41 AM
I honestly believe supplements are BS. I believe in a multi vitamin, fish oils or efas, calcium. I also think ECA stacks work.

chasebny
03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
It depends on the definition of "works". We need a frame of reference. Does a multi vitamin work to drop fat? No.
So with that said I believe the reason most think that supplements are BS is that their frame is skewed by common gym chatter and advertisements.

Do I think whey protein works in undere 20 minutes to aid in recovery in order to pack on 6 lbs a week? No. I think whey is an easy way to get food down after a workout, is quick, convienent, portable, and cheap. So in that way, it works.

Creatine works to hyper-hydrate and aid with strength gains.

Glycerol works to aid hydration and volumize.

N.O. supplements work in that most are stacked with stims, so they give you energy, and most do add signifcantly to the pump. The question is whether or not that translates to muscle gains, which is totally up for debate.

Multis, fish oil, digestive enzymes, pro biotics, fiber all add to health and well being.

So that would be what really works. There are others that could be added to the list, such as beta alanine, and various aminos and such, but when it comes to more intricate supplement regimens, i think its more about trying something fun to expirement on your own body with something new and exciting, because eating isnt the "sexiest" part of bodybuilding.

IRONURSE
03-03-2009, 03:24 PM
That's a tough question. Most people (here) that are taking supplements are also working out hard and have changed their diets in some way so who know what part of the scenario actually contributed the most to their change.
I can tell you that when I made the decision to lose weight ,and get fit, I was fat and sedentary. As soon as I started to move with cardio and circuit training, cut out 90% of my soda and cleaned up my diet I also started taking Atrophex (1 cap, 30 mins before my meals 3x day). I lost 45 lbs within a 6 month period. The first 30 lbs came off within 4 months. I seriously doubt that the Atrophex by itself would have yielded the same results. It's almost commical on all the commercials: "results not typical", "...when combined with a sensible diet and excercise plan...".

I am now using Meltdown in the mornings before breakfast. I have terrible sinuses and the synephrine hcl in there clears them right up along with giving me a boost of energy to get me going.

*Who knows if the rest of the stuff I take helps, as long as I look good I keep taking them ...lol...*

GirlyMuscle
03-03-2009, 03:28 PM
I think "works" in this case is, does the product do what it is advertised to do?

Zetawill
03-03-2009, 03:41 PM
I can tell if it's BS....it has "muscletech" or "GNC" on the label. Maybe not complete BS, but overpriced BS....i.e. Aplodan - Creatine Monohydate and Alpha Lipoic Acid.

ECA stacks work
Some multi's work (one a day's do not digest well, if at all)
EFA's as long as they are processed correctly (if you burp them...you ain't absorbing them) - I use nordic naturals line
Fiber is great as long as it is not a laxative type fiber (psyllium or senna is pretty harsh on the body)

buster12
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Supps that I have noticed work For me...
1. Whey protein isolate ( true protein)
2. Creatine monohydrate
3. Waxy maize
4. Multi-vitamin & EFA's

chasebny
03-03-2009, 04:05 PM
I think "works" in this case is, does the product do what it is advertised to do?
I think thats a bit of a high standard when supplement companies are espousing miracle benefits from ingredients that work, but not to the standard being spewed by companies trying to move product.

gman
03-03-2009, 04:23 PM
I am beginning to think this Lipolyze is working. I am losing 2lbs a week on average while eating 2600-2700 calories a day. I have had less success eating 1800 calories a day in the past.

SallyAnne
03-03-2009, 04:39 PM
I am beginning to think this Lipolyze is working. I am losing 2lbs a week on average while eating 2600-2700 calories a day. I have had less success eating 1800 calories a day in the past.

That probably has a lot to do with the diet you're on. Are you Palumbo dieting?

the mighty stu
03-03-2009, 04:40 PM
I've noticed that Fish Oils and BCAAs have helped me retain LBM on caloric defecits in the past. Of course basic protein powders are a staple, at least insofar as eating frequent protein meals throughout the day.

I'm currently using Lipolyze and Somalyze as well, and am waiting to see how well they affect my prep (trusting Dave on this -lol)

S

gman
03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
That probably has a lot to do with the diet you're on. Are you Palumbo dieting?

Yep, Dave is coaching me! I am so honored and excited.

I mean to make him proud.

HARDCOREB
03-04-2009, 04:46 AM
1. Multi
2.E.F.A's

The basics baby!!

Sledge
03-04-2009, 05:27 AM
It depends on the definition of "works". We need a frame of reference. Does a multi vitamin work to drop fat? No.
So with that said I believe the reason most think that supplements are BS is that their frame is skewed by common gym chatter and advertisements.

Do I think whey protein works in undere 20 minutes to aid in recovery in order to pack on 6 lbs a week? No. I think whey is an easy way to get food down after a workout, is quick, convienent, portable, and cheap. So in that way, it works.

N.O. supplements work in that most are stacked with stims, so they give you energy, and most do add signifcantly to the pump. The question is whether or not that translates to muscle gains, which is totally up for debate.

Multis, fish oil, digestive enzymes, pro biotics, fiber all add to health and well being.

So that would be what really works. There are others that could be added to the list, such as beta alanine, and various aminos and such, but when it comes to more intricate supplement regimens, i think its more about trying something fun to expirement on your own body with something new and exciting, because eating isnt the "sexiest" part of bodybuilding.

I think works means do they actually do anything realy. And for most of the things you listed the answer is a resounding no.

Supplements should be exactly that. Things you use to supplement the deficiency's in your diet. If your diet is good and well planned out you don't need any of the other crap no matter what the hype.

Over the counter fat loss supliments not worth a cent if your diet aint right. And realy how much difference do they make. If the new fantasic fat burner is lucky to make a 3% difference in aiding fat loss (and thats a prety generous %) and you loose 2lb a week you figure out the amount of difference it makes compared to cash outlay. Just diet an extra week and save yourself a few hundred dollars.

I've never been NO deficient in my life it's the latest fad to take money off people because they can actually feel something so they have the illusion that it works.

Creatine works if your deficient and it helps with ATP levels thats all.

Drink water that aids with re hydration. not glycerol

Multis, fish oil, digestive enzymes, pro biotics, fiber all add to health and well being. But only if your diet is deficient. Sure a real probiotic is usefull if you've been on a course of anti biotics but other than that if your diet is right and you watch your health then why?

Whey with some carbs and fat added is realy just a convenient food and is easy to consume after a workout. the whole 20 min thing is just crap. Have a steak and rice after training. Perfect.

The Thinker
03-04-2009, 05:33 AM
Supps that I have noticed work For me...
1. Whey protein isolate ( true protein)
2. Creatine monohydrate
3. Waxy maize
4. Multi-vitamin & EFA's

I'm pretty basic and rely on food mostly. Years ago I would try a lot of different supplements and never saw a HUGE difference. The list above is similar but I would remove Creatine as I just haven't ever seen a ROI that justifies spending the money. As I've gotten older I've found that a stimulant drink pre-workout is worth the money. Too bad I don't like coffee as that would be a lot cheaper!!!

BudTheBuilder
03-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Whey

Creatine

Fish oils

Muti vit.

GrowthGifted
03-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Multi Vitamin/Mineral - Just as an insurance policy that you're taking everything required to maintian healthy functions, assuming you take normal dosages of course

Whey protein Isolate - The king of protein biological value = 159

chasebny
03-04-2009, 12:20 PM
I think works means do they actually do anything realy. And for most of the things you listed the answer is a resounding no.

Supplements should be exactly that. Things you use to supplement the deficiency's in your diet. If your diet is good and well planned out you don't need any of the other crap no matter what the hype.

Over the counter fat loss supliments not worth a cent if your diet aint right. And realy how much difference do they make. If the new fantasic fat burner is lucky to make a 3% difference in aiding fat loss (and thats a prety generous %) and you loose 2lb a week you figure out the amount of difference it makes compared to cash outlay. Just diet an extra week and save yourself a few hundred dollars.

I've never been NO deficient in my life it's the latest fad to take money off people because they can actually feel something so they have the illusion that it works.

Creatine works if your deficient and it helps with ATP levels thats all.

Drink water that aids with re hydration. not glycerol

Multis, fish oil, digestive enzymes, pro biotics, fiber all add to health and well being. But only if your diet is deficient. Sure a real probiotic is usefull if you've been on a course of anti biotics but other than that if your diet is right and you watch your health then why?

Whey with some carbs and fat added is realy just a convenient food and is easy to consume after a workout. the whole 20 min thing is just crap. Have a steak and rice after training. Perfect.
Im agreeing with you here. However, getting a diet with everything you need every day from whole food is incredibly diffucult. Not many live in an ideal world, and their diets, mine included, are deficent in many different ways.

And you just repeated what I said about the whey? I agree that its just quick, convienent food. I personally couldnt eat steak and rice for at least an hour and a half after lifting, at least not enough to get inn the macro amount I wanted.

And when it comes to creatine, it doesnt make up for a lack of creatine, it super saturates beyond typical amounts and translates to strength.

BadAssBarbie
03-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I can tell if it's BS....it has "muscletech" or "GNC" on the label. Maybe not complete BS, but overpriced BS....i.e. Aplodan - Creatine Monohydate and Alpha Lipoic Acid.

ECA stacks work
Some multi's work (one a day's do not digest well, if at all)
EFA's as long as they are processed correctly (if you burp them...you ain't absorbing them) - I use nordic naturals line
Fiber is great as long as it is not a laxative type fiber (psyllium or senna is pretty harsh on the body)
Many multi vits....and other supplemets don't work bc they don't dissolve and actually get into your blood. They just sit in your stomach! Have you ever put, for example, a Centrum in a cup of water? It just sits there!! You just have to find a better quality vitamin.
It would be ideal nif we could get all of our nutritional needs from just the foods we eat. However, most of us don't...especially when we're dieting and depriving our bodies of so many foods. I think a good multi is a good idea. Dave recommends the JuicePlus. I haven't been sick since I've gotten on that..except for a 24 hr stomach bug.

Curt James
03-08-2009, 02:35 PM

I'm a fan of Gaspari's SuperPump250 as it is the one thing that I've taken that has had a noticeable and immediate impact. I definitely get a better pump after taking that product. But, yeah, I've read that the pump may not add to muscle gains, so, there's that.

Still, the psychological advantage must count for something. I just feel better in the gym with my arms as swole as these pequeño pipes can be.

One product that absolutely works in all ways advertised, imo, is Fiberlyze (https://www.speciesnutrition.com/order/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14). I went through a container of the fruit punch and everything else went through me. :rolleyes: Fiber works! I'm using Benefiber now, but another container of Fiberlyze is on my shopping list.

I regularly use protein powder, a multi (in the past it's been One A Day but right now it's the Pak), and Triple Flex (have used Arthrolyze previously). I'm guessing all that works, but I'm no lab scientist with sheet after sheet of data and blood tests to compare.

Curt James
03-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Many multi vits....and other supplemets don't work bc they don't dissolve and actually get into your blood. They just sit in your stomach! Have you ever put, for example, a Centrum in a cup of water? It just sits there!! You just have to find a better quality vitamin.
It would be ideal nif we could get all of our nutritional needs from just the foods we eat. However, most of us don't...especially when we're dieting and depriving our bodies of so many foods. I think a good multi is a good idea. Dave recommends the JuicePlus. I haven't been sick since I've gotten on that..except for a 24 hr stomach bug.

Tap water at room temperature is not gastric juice (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O142-gastricjuice.html) at 98.6 or more, though.

Still, Juice Plus+ (https://www.juiceplus.com/nsa/pages/Welcome.soa) does sound interesting.

Youngguns
03-08-2009, 03:02 PM
multi v
fish oil
whey
creatine monohydrate

/thread

Por2gue
03-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Anything Muscle Tech works like a dream.

kr1zpy
03-08-2009, 09:58 PM
basics, y aknow

pump enhancers and the like are fun toys but not needed

chrisjohnson
03-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Lots of supplements "work", but here are what I consider 'essential':

Greens
Omega 3
Evening Primrose Oil (Omega 6)
Calcium
Multivitamin/mineral
Waxy maize
BCAAs
Glutamine
Creatine

I don't list whey protein as I consider it a food (I prefer isolate).

Frosty
03-09-2009, 10:31 AM

Because things can still be out of balance. I wasn't on any antibiotics and my diet was good, but I have test results to prove my intenstinal flora was not right.

Almost no one's diet is sufficient in omega-3s. Fish oil is a staple, not a supplement.

Frosty
03-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Many multi vits....and other supplemets don't work bc they don't dissolve and actually get into your blood. They just sit in your stomach! Have you ever put, for example, a Centrum in a cup of water? It just sits there!!

One time I put a chunk of steak in a cup of water and it just sat there!!

Haha, jk, but Centrum does suck. The digestive system is stronger than a cup of water but you don't want something covered in bees wax and crap. Gel caps are probably the best bet.

Delphene
03-09-2009, 10:58 AM
I have to chime in here. I absolutely love this new supp from Canada. It is called PGX Daily. It makes a person feel full and takes away cravings by balancing blood sugars. I take 3 soft gels before a meal and it has made the world of difference. I don't have to constantly fight (mentally) cravings and feeling hungry. It is a fiber supp that is suspended in MCT oil. When it hits the digestive track it expands thus making a person feel very very full. I get my 'fuel' down and I am good to go. Before, during contest prep, I was chewing gum (as a sweet for dessert) and had lots of great sayings to get me through tough periods. I haven't done a whole contest prep with this supp yet but so far have never felt so great getting into ketosis.

www.pgx.com

militantmuscle
03-10-2009, 06:07 AM
1. Obviously protein supplements

2. Creatine

KEVDIESEL
03-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Good clean foods!

kicker
03-12-2009, 06:47 PM
For me:
Whey + waxy maize/dextrose mixture post workout