PDA

View Full Version : quality protein

tammyp
03-03-2009, 08:35 AM
what are the ingredients of a good PP? what makes it low quality?

chasebny
03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I would say that what seperates a lower quality from higher quality is more about what isnt in it. A higher quality would have lower fat and carbs. Problem being that I've heard more and more reports of people paying to get lab evaluations that came back with off label nutrition facts.

Youngguns
03-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Well, if you get a protein that says "isolate, concentrate" it could have a lot of concentrate. As long as the label has low fat and carbs, it's quality protein. However even then it's hard to say. That's why I buy from true protein because you get one single type, and it's tried and true. I prefer the cold filtrated protein with free chocolate flavour UNSWEETENED. I no longer ingest excitotoxins. The flavour is some what bland chocolate, but it's smooth and healthy.

Random Letters
03-03-2009, 03:03 PM
With all of these "proprietary blends" it can be hard to know how much isolate vs. concentrate is in a particular brand. The best way to tell is by looking at the amount of cholesterol per serving. Isolate has ZERO cholesterol, so a fairly high cholesterol count per serving indicates a higher amount of inferior whey protein concentrates.

Personally, I dislike aspartame and sucralose, and prefer that my powders be naturally sweetened with stevia leaf.

Finally, taste and mixability are are factors as well, but one can't typically test this before buying.

Basically, I like an isolate with no artificial sweeteners in it that mixes easily and tastes okay.

orhochris
03-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Well, if you get a protein that says "isolate, concentrate" it could have a lot of concentrate. As long as the label has low fat and carbs, it's quality protein. However even then it's hard to say. That's why I buy from true protein because you get one single type, and it's tried and true. I prefer the cold filtrated protein with free chocolate flavour UNSWEETENED. I no longer ingest excitotoxins. The flavour is some what bland chocolate, but it's smooth and healthy.

agreed. dave is always saying that isolyze is so good because it has 27 g or protein per 29 g serving. well TP has 28 g in a 30 g serving of their wpi ion exchange. Great product and amazing price compared to the competition. AND zero fat and zero carbs.

buster12
03-03-2009, 04:05 PM
agreed. dave is always saying that isolyze is so good because it has 27 g or protein per 29 g serving. well TP has 28 g in a 30 g serving of their wpi ion exchange. Great product and amazing price compared to the competition. AND zero fat and zero carbs.
cant go wrong with true protein. What makes the ion exchange protein different than cold filtered isolate? ( besides it being dante's favorite)

Lee Penman
03-04-2009, 05:51 PM
what are the ingredients of a good PP? what makes it low quality?
Whey Isolate is the best. Concentrate and Hydrolysed Whey can cause gastric discomfort in many people. Supplements with soy as a prime ingredient or casein would be low on the scale. As for 'trendy' things like Hemp and Pea protein..I did not see any buff physiques on the old 'Woodstock' vids...lol!
Species Nutrition's ISOLYZE is currently the best on the market in my opinion.

SoxFan11
03-04-2009, 06:42 PM
cant go wrong with true protein. What makes the ion exchange protein different than cold filtered isolate? ( besides it being dante's favorite)

Just a different process by which the whey is extracted. If it's in your budget, I'd go up to CFM whey. It really is the gold standard.

gman
03-04-2009, 07:33 PM
but for those on a tight budget, is there REALLY a big difference, worth paying 2.5-3x as much for one protein vs another?

I bought 10lbs of Scivation blend for $65, and it tastes good, mixes well, and does not give me gas.

gman
03-05-2009, 10:47 AM
bump, I think my question is a good one, others might be interested in the topic as well!

I am interested in knowing if it is going to make or break my cut if I use a lower price powder vs higher price WPI like Dave's

GrowthGifted
03-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Read the label and see how much WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE the powder contains..

Whey protein isolade has the highest protein biological value..

Buy Protein powders manufactured from good and reliable companies.

gman
03-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I realize the WPI is best, but is it something that would make or break someone in the middle of a cut to use it instead of a blend.

I would love to afford Isolyze at $17/lb, but I am paying $6.50/lb

Scivation is a great company, BTW.

Rob
03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
bump, I think my question is a good one, others might be interested in the topic as well!

I am interested in knowing if it is going to make or break my cut if I use a lower price powder vs higher price WPI like Dave's

Quite simply...with the product you mention above...no, it will not make or break your cut.

Youngguns
03-05-2009, 02:09 PM
but for those on a tight budget, is there REALLY a big difference, worth paying 2.5-3x as much for one protein vs another?

I bought 10lbs of Scivation blend for $65, and it tastes good, mixes well, and does not give me gas.
Of course not.

I choose trueprotein's cold filtrated because it's plain whey, and I add cocoa into it. Natural and great.