PDA

View Full Version : Old school Mid-City Gym

bodyhard
12-10-2009, 05:03 PM
I've been home of late and just cleaning, the rooms, the garage etc etc. Been stumbling on a lot of old sh!t and since I been finding old bodybuilding pics and stuff I have been sharing them here and at the old site I frequent.

I found this add that I did with mid-city gym 11 years ago. I remember doing this to bring more people into the gym and to have them use the gyms program, APEX Fitness. Funny thing is I did not write any of it, they did. I got paid though :)

Mid-city gym was truly a hardcore gym back then, I have not been there in almost 5 years now. Last I checked it turned into a fitness center. Anyway just wanted to share some memories with you guys.

I blurred out my last name after I scanned it. Here is the front and back of the add

freebirdmac
12-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Cool John!

bodyhard
12-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Was cool back then, not so much now at least from what I was told.

blu2xtreme
12-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Old school is gone ...very sad
Went and checked out a new Golds Gym today and it was so
hi tech ...no gym feeling to it all
Very few in the free wieght area - and I did not see one girl lifting

bodyhard
12-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Very hard to find a hardcore gym nowadays, but hey we can keep searching :D

Capt_lou
12-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Give me 2 years and there is a really good chance I will have my own gym where I can design, equip and make it feel the way i want too. BTW everyone here is allowed to come train and stay in one of the guest rooms for free.

bodyhard
12-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Give me 2 years and there is a really good chance I will have my own gym where I can design, equip and make it feel the way i want too. BTW everyone here is allowed to come train and stay in one of the guest rooms for free.

Man I had that opportunity, the owner of hard bodies was going to sell me his gym an dI was going to go partners with a friend of mine but when I got with a lawyer to see if I could keep out certain people he told me I could not. He said although I would own the gym there were laws I would need to follow so technically I couldn't do what I wanted to do with the gym only to an extent.

bodyhard
12-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Dude when are you going to visit the PIT? Some straight up people in there, definitely the place to go to see if you got what it takes.

supbro!
12-10-2009, 10:33 PM
i train on and off at the one in bayonne and for the most part it has stayed the same except for the actual members. however,i think back to the late eighties and early nineties and seeing guys like santoriello come thru and wonder if any gym could replicate that era and its different "characters".

Baldiewonkanobi
12-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Hardcore? Overall kick ass attitude, paint peeling from the walls, floor encased with sweat urine and blood, worn machines from the 50s era, bent Olympic bars from over use, power rack has been welded so many times it will along with Cher and cockroaches be the last things remaining on Earth, duck taped benches, am radio with poor speaker and stuck on Oldies, chock everywhere, AC broken, desk manager asleep laid overface first in his Big Mac and fries, syringe on the floor in the locker room corner, the 150s sitting besides the incline bench, and 'fuck you' written over the 'Members Please Pick Up Your Weights' sign. Yeah Baby.

Love Hardcore.

Blu...I can take you into that Golds again and show you how to love the place. Turn a blind eye to the chrome and spandex. I bet there is some kick ass equipment in there. If its the East gym...is there still the roped off Pit?

John...cool suff...love it.

Baldie

bodyhard
12-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Hardcore? Overall kick ass attitude, paint peeling from the walls, floor encased with sweat urine and blood, worn machines from the 50s era, bent Olympic bars from over use, power rack has been welded so many times it will along with Cher and cockroaches be the last things remaining on Earth, duck taped benches, am radio with poor speaker and stuck on Oldies, chock everywhere, AC broken, desk manager asleep laid overface first in his Big Mac and fries, syringe on the floor in the locker room corner, the 150s sitting besides the incline bench, and 'fuck you' written over the 'Members Please Pick Up Your Weights' sign. Yeah Baby.

Love Hardcore.

Blu...I can take you into that Golds again and show you how to love the place. Turn a blind eye to the chrome and spandex. I bet there is some kick ass equipment in there. If its the East gym...is there still the roped off Pit?

John...cool suff...love it.

Baldie

Damn Baldie what I would do to workout in a gym you just described, you have no idea how serious I am.

blu2xtreme
12-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Baldie

No Baldie it's a new one just opened a few moths ago - I live far north west of the city.
It had such a sterile feeling to it ...very pretty and cool looking for sure
No doubt you could help me see beyond the shininess

gman
12-11-2009, 11:57 AM
who was that dude up north who had a gym with UP THE DOSE on the wall?

The pens you signed papers with were fake syringes.

It's a really well know guy, I think he may have won Mr U a couple of times. Name is stuck in the back of my brain, seems like his first name is Steve

HeavyDutyGuy
12-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Sometimes you have to create that atmosphere. Arnold used to do it, he's why Golds got famous. I do it at Iron Bodies. When Bill was there, and my wife, we ALL created it- the energy. Admittedly my gyms a semi dungeon, but hell I used to do it an LA Fitness too. Got thrown out of 3 gyms in AZ for doing it, bunch of pussies up where I was. Point is, sometimes you have to MAKE it happen.

bodyhard
12-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Sometimes you have to create that atmosphere. Arnold used to do it, he's why Golds got famous. I do it at Iron Bodies. When Bill was there, and my wife, we ALL created it- the energy. Admittedly my gyms a semi dungeon, but hell I used to do it an LA Fitness too. Got thrown out of 3 gyms in AZ for doing it, bunch of pussies up where I was. Point is, sometimes you have to MAKE it happen.

I feel ya man I tried that in a gym and like you got thrown out, not physically as all hell would have broken lose and I probably would have busted the whole fucking place up. But they canceled my membership.

kimm4
12-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Just saying hello BH! May your weekend kick much ass! :)

bodyhard
12-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Just saying hello BH! May your weekend kick much ass! :)

Hey kimm tonight was not my fucking night, wanted to go out no fucking body around, came home was going to take the wife to the movies to see brothers sold out, thought about seeing 2012 last showing was at 11:00 PM now I am fucking home doing shit!

How is your night?

buckimscl
12-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Bro, I used to lift at an old gym that had a puke bucket by the squat rack.....god I miss that place!

bodyhard
12-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Bro, I used to lift at an old gym that had a puke bucket by the squat rack.....god I miss that place!

LOL I feel ya man. These new fitness centers suck major fucking ass!

kimm4
12-12-2009, 02:04 AM
Hey kimm tonight was not my fucking night, wanted to go out no fucking body around, came home was going to take the wife to the movies to see brothers sold out, thought about seeing 2012 last showing was at 11:00 PM now I am fucking home doing shit!

How is your night?

I've been pretty damn busy every weekend, so I finally got a nite to chill. Did some online xmas shopping, had a few beers, reading some journals...it's all good!

Tomorrow I'm getting my tree...It's hard to get into the holidays...I hate them.

Baldiewonkanobi
12-12-2009, 06:51 AM
Perfect. This has turned into the Bodyhard thread. For you people who do not know this man...he is one of my heros. In just the past few years he went from viable Bodybuilder into a wheelchair never to walk again to back under the squat rack. When I read Johns posts I hear Billy Joel in the background singing "New York State of Mind". John is a mix between that guy you see comming towards you on the street you DO NOT want to make eye contact with :no: and the younger brother you have not seen in a while that you want to give a big hug and a kiss on his pointy little head:hmn:. Last July I worked out a plan to see John and got him to Pittsburg to join a group of us on this site at the Masters Nationals. What a fucking (I don't care what you say John you did NOT invent the word FUCK) treat.

Baldie

freebirdmac
12-12-2009, 02:21 PM
John I don't see why you can't open a private gym and kick out who ever the hell you want. Kind of like a private club. Give people probational memberships to start, until you get to know them better. I mean if these new gyms can have grunt alarms and kick people out why can't you do the opposite? You may have to tolerate some guys just for the money, but you should be able to toss the real losers.

bodyhard
12-12-2009, 03:00 PM
I've been pretty damn busy every weekend, so I finally got a nite to chill. Did some online xmas shopping, had a few beers, reading some journals...it's all good!

Tomorrow I'm getting my tree...It's hard to get into the holidays...I hate them.

Kool I have not done any Christmas shopping as of yet, I beter get my fucking ass in gear!

Perfect. This has turned into the Bodyhard thread. For you people who do not know this man...he is one of my heros. In just the past few years he went from viable Bodybuilder into a wheelchair never to walk again to back under the squat rack. When I read Johns posts I hear Billy Joel in the background singing "New York State of Mind". John is a mix between that guy you see comming towards you on the street you DO NOT want to make eye contact with :no: and the younger brother you have not seen in a while that you want to give a big hug and a kiss on his pointy little head:hmn:. Last July I worked out a plan to see John and got him to Pittsburg to join a group of us on this site at the Masters Nationals. What a fucking (I don't care what you say John you did NOT invent the word FUCK) treat.

Baldie

Bill, you da man dude, I went out to Pittsburgh just to meet you man and it was well worth it. Only wish we could have hung out longer. Fuck I really thought I was born saying that fucking word my moms fucking lied to me she said, I invented it :D

John I don't see why you can't open a private gym and kick out who ever the hell you want. Kind of like a private club. Give people probational memberships to start, until you get to know them better. I mean if these new gyms can have grunt alarms and kick people out why can't you do the opposite? You may have to tolerate some guys just for the money, but you should be able to toss the real losers.

I thought the same, but the problem is, according to my lawyer, if they are not doing anything to disrupt other members or cause harm to themselves/others I can not discriminate. It fucking sucks major ass as I really wanted to take over the gym. But if I could not run it the way I wanted to I said fuck it.

HeavyDutyGuy
12-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Kool I have not done any Christmas shopping as of yet, I beter get my fucking ass in gear!

Bill, you da man dude, I went out to Pittsburgh just to meet you man and it was well worth it. Only wish we could have hung out longer. Fuck I really thought I was born saying that fucking word my moms fucking lied to me she said, I invented it :D

I thought the same, but the problem is, according to my lawyer, if they are not doing anything to disrupt other members or cause harm to themselves/others I can not discriminate. It fucking sucks major ass as I really wanted to take over the gym. But if I could not run it the way I wanted to I said fuck it.

I think the lawyers full of shit. I got kicked out just for lifting too heavy and hard (SCARED one owner I was told). Besides you could do something along the lines of the Nautilus gyms- you trained their way, or you couldn't train there. Not to say do it with their protocol per se. But don't put in cardio equipment beyond a few pieces - for warmup and those who are ripping up, no swiss balls anywhere, and only the big scary hardcore equipment. Then put pictures of Arnold, Viator and Fox on the walls. People will get the idea. Or do what I'm planning to do- open it as a private training studio, and sell a limited number of 'elite' (ie serious trainees who you already trained or who otherwise know what the FUCK they're doing..)

Baldiewonkanobi
12-12-2009, 04:12 PM
James I told you about Lacey Weston a 1980s/90s Bodybuilder who won some local shows then opened some 20 years ago a private studio, now has two. He went the foo foo route, but could be done the same hardcore. Man, could this cat pose on stage...wowzer.

http://www.lacyweston.com/

Baldie

bodyhard
12-12-2009, 07:04 PM
I think the lawyers full of shit. I got kicked out just for lifting too heavy and hard (SCARED one owner I was told). Besides you could do something along the lines of the Nautilus gyms- you trained their way, or you couldn't train there. Not to say do it with their protocol per se. But don't put in cardio equipment beyond a few pieces - for warmup and those who are ripping up, no swiss balls anywhere, and only the big scary hardcore equipment. Then put pictures of Arnold, Viator and Fox on the walls. People will get the idea. Or do what I'm planning to do- open it as a private training studio, and sell a limited number of 'elite' (ie serious trainees who you already trained or who otherwise know what the FUCK they're doing..)

I totally agree but according to my lawyer those are the laws in NYC, maybe I need a second opinion.

Mid-city gym was hardcore but then became a safe haven for gay men. I actually got arrested because I beat the crap out of a gay man that got fucking personal with me (I don't tolerate that shit at all) So to stay away from me going to jail I stopped going there.

James I told you about Lacey Weston a 1980s/90s Bodybuilder who won some local shows then opened some 20 years ago a private studio, now has two. He went the foo foo route, but could be done the same hardcore. Man, could this cat pose on stage...wowzer.

Baldie

Nice!!

HeavyDutyGuy
12-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I totally agree but according to my lawyer those are the laws in NYC, maybe I need a second opinion.

Mid-city gym was hardcore but then became a safe haven for gay men. I actually got arrested because I beat the crap out of a gay man that got fucking personal with me (I don't tolerate that shit at all) So to stay away from me going to jail I stopped going there.

Nice!! Since when did YOU start letting people tell you what you can do? Dammit you're a NEW YORKER? a Bronx guy yet... but what I'm pointing towards is psychological- create a place with attitude- an anti- Ballys if you will, maybe you can't REFUSE anyone, but you can can create a place where only the kind of people you want will want to go... get my drift?

HeavyDutyGuy
12-12-2009, 07:43 PM

Baldie

NICE arms on that dude! Check out the forearms.. Bill, I think that you're right, its finding a create the right niche. Not easy, in fact its hard, but since when did anytbhing worthwhile ever come easy? I KNOW I can do that.. Patience James, patience..ok I have none, but I won't lose that focus anyway...

bodyhard
12-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Since when did YOU start letting people tell you what you can do? Dammit you're a NEW YORKER? a Bronx guy yet... but what I'm pointing towards is psychological- create a place with attitude- an anti- Ballys if you will, maybe you can't REFUSE anyone, but you can can create a place where only the kind of people you want will want to go... get my drift?

Yeah I am starting to see where you are getting at sort of like the Ghetto people drive by really fast cause they don't want to stay here longer than needed!

buckimscl
12-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Bro, at another old gym I used to lift at they had a sign saying : If the dumbbells are too big for you to set down then don't pick them up. You fucking break them you'll fucking buy them or you won't lift here anymore" 10 state bench press champs came out of that gym. It was the shit!

Baldiewonkanobi
12-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Laceys arms.

Lacey would always hold a towel in his hands when working arms. "Soft hands" as he called it. He believed that gripping the bar real hard took away from working the arms.

Baldie

bodyhard
12-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Bro, at another old gym I used to lift at they had a sign saying : If the dumbbells are too big for you to set down then don't pick them up. You fucking break them you'll fucking buy them or you won't lift here anymore" 10 state bench press champs came out of that gym. It was the shit!

That is what I am talking about! I have so many rules I would put and for sure the only only music blaring on the stereo would be Hip Hop and heavy Metal Thats it. Deadlifting, screaming, yelling, grunting, would be encouraged!

HeavyDutyGuy
12-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Damn. I miss the days of the hard core gyms- Mid City, Golds Venice... been to Golds Venice this decade? I was there on a Sat afternoon.. Seemed I was the only one even trying.... pathetic...

HeavyDutyGuy
12-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Laceys arms.

Lacey would always hold a towel in his hands when working arms. "Soft hands" as he called it. He believed that gripping the bar real hard took away from working the arms.

Baldie

Didn't Roy Callendar believe in that? Always using sponges? Well they both have great genetics- nice long muscle bellies- v when you have that, almost anytging works..

joedemarco
12-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Damn. I miss the days of the hard core gyms- Mid City, Golds Venice... been to Golds Venice this decade? I was there on a Sat afternoon.. Seemed I was the only one even trying.... pathetic...

I'm with you on that...I miss the days of training at the hard core gyms. They just don't seem to be many around anymore. I trained for years at Gold's Gym in Everett, MA. Great gym! That was Paul DeMayo's old stomping ground. Mike Matarazzo would come in there quite a bit too. Great atmosphere. Heavy lifting, lots of grunting/noise, fights in the parking lot...lol. Now, everything is a "health club"....and I pretty much feel out of place everywhere I train.....

bodyhard
12-13-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm with you on that...I miss the days of training at the hard core gyms. They just don't seem to be many around anymore. I trained for years at Gold's Gym in Everett, MA. Great gym! That was Paul DeMayo's old stomping ground. Mike Matarazzo would come in there quite a bit too. Great atmosphere. Heavy lifting, lots of grunting/noise, fights in the parking lot...lol. Now, everything is a "health club"....and I pretty much feel out of place everywhere I train.....

Damn couldn't agree more, I feel so out of place in the gym I currently train at, although I do my own thing and the owner lets me. Yet the atmosphere is just well dead.

Baldiewonkanobi
12-13-2009, 03:56 PM
John, our current society does not like us warriors parading about in our loin cloths, muscles rippling, sabre on our side, bow and quiver on our back, nostrils flared, long hair tied back with the dried entrails of our last victim and old blood spackeled here and there. 500 years ago...fine. Today we are shunned. So be it in the gym, at work, in the mall or on the highway it is us who must give quarter. I know...its the shits. Backwards but what the fuck can a warrior do??

Baldie

bodyhard
12-13-2009, 04:06 PM
John, our current society does not like us warriors parading about in our loin cloths, muscles rippling, sabre on our side, bow and quiver on our back, nostrils flared, long hair tied back with the dried entrails of our last victim and old blood spackeled here and there. 500 years ago...fine. Today we are shunned. So be it in the gym, at work, in the mall or on the highway it is us who must give quarter. I know...its the shits. Backwards but what the fuck can a warrior do??

Baldie

Die with honor ;)

freebirdmac
12-13-2009, 04:17 PM

Baldie

Damn! That would be a turn on!

Capt_lou
12-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Man I had that opportunity, the owner of hard bodies was going to sell me his gym an dI was going to go partners with a friend of mine but when I got with a lawyer to see if I could keep out certain people he told me I could not. He said although I would own the gym there were laws I would need to follow so technically I couldn't do what I wanted to do with the gym only to an extent.

Well in a nutshell the gym will be by invitation only, so no memberships to speak of...How am I going to fund this gym you ask? Well it will be a part of a bigger corporation, but will be a independant part of it. My gym, my rules, my say so.

So basically my girl friend is developing a corporate retreat center in the middle of no where. And part of it is going to be a health and well being portion. The gym will be part of it (Which I will run). The guestt will have access to the gym 2 times a day 8-10 and 4-6. So other than that, the music can be as lound as I want it, chalk, weights, yelling can all be thrown around.

bodyhard
12-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Well in a nutshell the gym will be by invitation only, so no memberships to speak of...How am I going to fund this gym you ask? Well it will be a part of a bigger corporation, but will be a independant part of it. My gym, my rules, my say so.

So basically my girl friend is developing a corporate retreat center in the middle of no where. And part of it is going to be a health and well being portion. The gym will be part of it (Which I will run). The guestt will have access to the gym 2 times a day 8-10 and 4-6. So other than that, the music can be as lound as I want it, chalk, weights, yelling can all be thrown around.

Let me know when it is signed on the dotted line. And when I stop by Ohio for a visit I will definitely go there.

kimm4
12-17-2009, 01:50 AM
That is what I am talking about! I have so many rules I would put and for sure the only only music blaring on the stereo would be Hip Hop and heavy Metal Thats it. Deadlifting, screaming, yelling, grunting, would be encouraged!

This makes me smile...:)

bodyhard
12-18-2009, 12:32 PM
This makes me smile...:)

Love to make you smile Kimm:flowers:

Baldiewonkanobi
12-19-2009, 06:39 AM
'Sounds' like my gym. You can crank up the heavy metal :) and I have ear plugs for the hip hop :hypno:.

Baldie

bodyhard
12-19-2009, 09:42 AM
'Sounds' like my gym. You can crank up the heavy metal :) and I have ear plugs for the hip hop :hypno:.

Baldie

LMmotherfuckingAO!! How can people NOT like hip hop man?? :D :D

But on the real I can relate, you have to grow up on something to really appreciate it. Hip Hop is my culture for lack of a better word, I grew up in the streets and been around what most rappers rap about so I can appreciate the struggle, something most would never truly comprehend

Baldiewonkanobi
12-19-2009, 11:11 AM
I did not grow up in the streets John but lived once for 3 months in the streets, in my car, homeless. Moved my car every night so I would not get targeted and robbed. I also worked my 12th step (AA) in the prisons and also have a feel for that. Still...neg on the hippity hop for this old man. Metallica played real loud has been known to add an xtra rep on my squats...however NO music is choice one. I will still train in your gym...no matter your taste in 'music'.

Baldie

bodyhard
12-31-2009, 04:37 PM
I did not grow up in the streets John but lived once for 3 months in the streets, in my car, homeless. Moved my car every night so I would not get targeted and robbed. I also worked my 12th step (AA) in the prisons and also have a feel for that. Still...neg on the hippity hop for this old man. Metallica played real loud has been known to add an xtra rep on my squats...however NO music is choice one. I will still train in your gym...no matter your taste in 'music'.

Baldie

Oh no that is not what I meant Baldie, you see rap, at least back in the days was basically the struggles we went through, so if you were living the life, i.e selling drugs, in gangs, going to clubs etc etc you could relate.

Also I was a rapper myself and was always in the clubs with the rappers, so I lived the life with them. I grew up with the music so I relate. Although todays hip hop is much different as they rap more about what they have as oppose to what it took to get there, but the concept is still the same, so I still love hip hop.

I didn't grow up with Metallica, heavy metal or Rock, as a matter of fact it was frowned upon by the hood, but I listen to it now.

kimm4
12-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Wishing you and family a very Happy New Year!! :)

Baldiewonkanobi
01-01-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm at your door, your eyes are like why you are here, judging by my steel I got something to do here, give up your money or the angel cries two tears in front of your crib crying

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Yo yo yo,

Baldie