PDA

View Full Version : Let your babies eat dirt

Tatyana
12-12-2009, 04:11 PM
And get rid of your anti-bacterial soaps.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20427384.400-dirty-babies-get-healthier-hearts.html

Dirty babies get healthier hearts

09 December 2009 by Debora MacKenzie (http://www.newscientist.com/search?rbauthors=Debora+MacKenzie)
Magazine issue 2738 (http://www.newscientist.com/issue/2738). Subscribe (http://www.newscientist.com/subscribe?promcode=nsarttop) and get 4 free issues.

AFFLUENT, modern babies live in a sanitised world. This has already been blamed for a high incidence of asthma and allergies, but might also up the risk of developing a host of other conditions common in rich countries, such as stroke and heart disease.

According to the "hygiene hypothesis", our immune system evolved to handle a germ-laden world. If we don't encounter many pathogens during infancy, it doesn't learn to keep itself in check, and turns on inflammation - normally a response to infection - in inappropriate situations. This reaction, the hypothesis goes, is responsible for the recent increase in asthma and allergies, both associated with inflammation.

Recently, it has emerged that chronic inflammation (http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg17723774.700-heartstopping.html) may also increase the risk of diabetes, stroke and heart diseases. So might the hygiene hypothesis be implicated here too?

To find out, Tom McDade of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, and colleagues turned to health surveys, which began at birth, of 1534 children in Cebu City in the Philippines, where western levels of sanitation are generally not found. When these people reached 20, McDade's team were able to test their blood for C-reactive protein (CRP), a marker of chronic inflammation.

They found that the more pathogens the people had encountered before age 2, the less CRP they had at age 20. Every episode of diarrhoea back then cut the chance of higher CRP later by 11 per cent; every two months spent in a place with animal faeces cut it by 13 per cent. Being born in the dusty, dirty dry season cut the chance by a third (Proceedings of the Royal Society B (http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/), DOI: 10.1098/rspb.2009.1795).

Every episode of diarrhoea as an infant cut the chance of high adult levels of an inflammatory protein

McDade suggests that early exposure to germs could reduce chronic inflammation later in life, and therefore the risk of developing a host of serious conditions. "This takes the hygiene hypothesis well beyond allergy," he says. "This is consistent with the effect of germs on immune development," says Richard Gallo of the University of California, San Diego.
McDade hopes that one day we may be able to safely expose babies to the protective elements of germs without incurring the risks that come with infections. In the meantime, he is taking a less high-tech approach: "If my 2-year-old drops food on the floor, I just let him pick it up and eat it."

Shariff Abel
12-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Thats a pretty interesting article .

Tatyana
12-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Thats a pretty interesting article .

It is a very interesting immunology hypothesis.

We are designed to fight off quite a few pathogens, but the ones that we really have lost in the Western world are helminths, or worms.

Children in developing countries have a much lower incidence of allergies and asthma, it is thought that the activation of T-helper cells type 2 (which trigger the antibodies to fight helminths) protect against the over-reaction of T-helper type 1 cells (which are overactive in asthma and allergies).

B7emm
12-12-2009, 05:07 PM
i read about some thing similar to this in a book called the makers diet written by Jordan Ruben a Jewish dietitian also cured him self of crones disease in very little time using this and other methods.

GirlyMuscle
12-12-2009, 06:25 PM
As a mum, I totally agree. When my son was born, like any new mum, I was overly clean and concerned. As the months went on I started to ease up. My mum kept saying, there's nothing wrong with letting him get dirty.

Companies that make all these anti-bacterial products and such bombard us with advertising about germs and our kids and we believe it. Take for instance, a kid who's never been in daycare and goes to kindergarten and a kid who's grown up in daycare. Who gets sicker more often? The sheltered one. I think developing immunities is dependent on getting a little dirty.

fitmomma3
12-12-2009, 08:00 PM
As a mum, I totally agree. When my son was born, like any new mum, I was overly clean and concerned. As the months went on I started to ease up. My mum kept saying, there's nothing wrong with letting him get dirty.

Companies that make all these anti-bacterial products and such bombard us with advertising about germs and our kids and we believe it. Take for instance, a kid who's never been in daycare and goes to kindergarten and a kid who's grown up in daycare. Who gets sicker more often? The sheltered one. I think developing immunities is dependent on getting a little dirty.I agree with not over sanitizing and being a freak about germs... but the statement about daycare is WAYYYY off. While some may think for longer term immune system action the daycare kids may be better, a HUGE majority of the ones I know are constantly on antibiotics for ear infections, sinus infections, and strep.

fitmomma3
12-12-2009, 08:02 PM
my father in-law saw something along these lines on the news and he teases me because at restaurants I always wipe everything down and he said I should let them lick the table lol

Ibarramedia
12-12-2009, 08:20 PM
I have mixed feeling about this one. Basically, I'm not sure which is the right thing to do now. I mean we became sanitized because of the development of the universal precautions common in the scientific and medical world. Germ theory and our society as a whole with it's emphasis on being clean. In essence being civilized. I don't have kids yet but have 2 nieces and this concerns me. Should we begin living like slobs and savages again?

fitmomma3
12-12-2009, 08:31 PM
OH jeez I just read this part "Every episode of diarrhoea back then cut the chance of higher CRP later, by 11 every two months spent in a place with animal faeces cut it by 13 per cent" I mean as a mother this is disgusting to me ... I guess I'm somewhere in the middle then, not overdoeing it, but this seems almost unsanitray and wishing illness on them when their little. At home or at families that I know are clean do I do the five second rule? sure. but out in public? HELL NO.

slumcookie
12-13-2009, 07:51 PM
I believe it. from the time I was born up until I was old enough to take care of mysef, my mom was a sanitation freak. She'd bleach the counters, our tubs, door knobs squeeze anti-bacterial hand cleaner in our hand in public, just wouldn't let us touch anything in public, etc...
Because of that, I get sick all the time regardless of often I wash my hands, and avoid sick people etc...
I think if we all continue down this obsessive sanitation path, strains of bacterial/viral infections are going to crop up and we're going to have an epidemic on our hands because our immune systems are so weak...

GirlyMuscle
12-13-2009, 07:57 PM
my father in-law saw something along these lines on the news and he teases me because at restaurants I always wipe everything down and he said I should let them lick the table lol
Yeah, I wouldn't go that far. I worked in restaurants. I wouldn't lick the table or use the 5 second rule. It my piece of steaks falls on the table that's one less piece of steak in ma belleh!

slumcookie
12-13-2009, 08:04 PM
really??? as long as it doesn't have anything visible, it's going in my belly.

Ibarramedia
12-13-2009, 08:40 PM
really??? as long as it doesn't have anything visible, it's going in my belly.

Even if that steak fell on the floor? what about ice cream, are you going to scoop that oof the floor too? :p ;)

slumcookie
12-13-2009, 08:47 PM
well, if it fell on the table, I'll eat it.
On the floor, I'll eat it only if it fell on my kitchen floor (because I mop/swiffy it once or twice a week)

Icecream... nah, it's too much of a mess to pack back into the cone :-D

Ibarramedia
12-13-2009, 09:44 PM
well, if it fell on the table, I'll eat it.
On the floor, I'll eat it only if it fell on my kitchen floor (because I mop/swiffy it once or twice a week)

Icecream... nah, it's too much of a mess to pack back into the cone :-D

Well if you are to do that 5 second rule, solid food is the way to go. No soup, ice cream, liquid or gel stuff. :yep:

slumcookie
12-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Well if you are to do that 5 second rule, solid food is the way to go. No soup, ice cream, liquid or gel stuff. :yep:
LOL!!!! Exactly :-) you're funny.