PDA

View Full Version : Best Post Workout Carb Source?

GDavis
12-12-2009, 08:05 PM
For natural bodybuilders not using Insulin. I wanted open up discussion of post workout carb sources ranging from sugar based to oatmeal to WMS and beyond. What are peoples opinions on Vitargo S2? Do you buy their data?

Frosty
12-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Vitargo is pretty expensive. For the money I say a mixture of dextrose and maltodextrin.

jack08son
12-12-2009, 09:34 PM
I've never used vitargo or any wazy maize starch or dextrose or maltodextrin (except for when I've been on cell-tech). Besides that for ME, I find that I grow best on REAL FOOD. A protein shake mixed with RAW MILK immediately after lifting then a whole food meal of either burgers or steaks with potatoes (sweet or white) and rice (brown or white) or pasta about an hour later seems to do the trick.

Frosty
12-12-2009, 09:50 PM
I will say one thing....for guys that are fat, I don't think using fast carbs like Vitargo or dextrose/maltodextrin is a great idea.

Andrew732
12-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Honestly a bananna, its has priobotics, great source of potassium, good GI, and solid micronutrient profile, whole foods>synthetic carbs.

Frosty
12-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Honestly a bananna, its has priobotics, great source of potassium, good GI, and solid micronutrient profile, whole foods>synthetic carbs.

What probiotics are in a banana?

Andrew732
12-12-2009, 10:44 PM
What probiotics are in a banana?
I am not quite sure, I just read a study that showed bananas have a natural probiotic/s in them which is why they make your stomach feel better during a stomach virus or GI discomfort, I assume it would be a phyto-nutrient of some sort.

Frosty
12-12-2009, 11:06 PM
I dunno, I'd have to research it. Not disagreeing with you at all with respect to bananas. Guys using WMS I think bananas would be a good option because neither are really fast and like you said bananas have additional nutrients. Probiotics are actual beneficial bacteria...perhaps it was pre-biotics? Certain fibers are considered "pre-biotics" because they feed good bacteria.

Andrew732
12-12-2009, 11:38 PM
May be, could have misread it, I try to look into and show the link.

AVBG
12-13-2009, 12:13 AM
White bread.no racist

ArabMuscle
12-13-2009, 12:39 AM
WMS. I'm surprised because this stuff actually works for me.

Frosty
12-13-2009, 12:43 AM
I will say using significant quantities of refined carbs post-workout is not good from a micro-nutrient standpoint. They have zero micronutrients in them, and because of that the body literally has to use micronutrients that it has to process them. This is not a very good thing for athletes since our demand for micronutrients is higher than normal people, and you're ingesting a supplement that effectively has "negative" micronutrient content.

ArabMuscle
12-13-2009, 12:54 AM
I will say using significant quantities of refined carbs post-workout is not good from a micro-nutrient standpoint. They have zero micronutrients in them, and because of that the body literally has to use micronutrients that it has to process them. This is not a very good thing for athletes since our demand for micronutrients is higher than normal people, and you're ingesting a supplement that effectively has "negative" micronutrient content.

What does Maltodextrin and dextrose have that WMS doesn't?

Frosty
12-13-2009, 01:30 AM
What does Maltodextrin and dextrose have that WMS doesn't?

Nothing. Dextrose, maltodextrin, Vitargo, WMS are all devoid of micronutrients. Let me put it this way, white bread has more vitamins and minerals than this stuff lol.

ArabMuscle
12-13-2009, 01:39 AM
Nothing. Dextrose, maltodextrin, Vitargo, WMS are all devoid of micronutrients. Let me put it this way, white bread has more vitamins and minerals than this stuff lol.

Lol true. The more you spend time building your physique, the less healthier you get; getting those post workout insulin spikes from simple carbs 4-6 days a week, a high protein diet, etc.

Frosty
12-13-2009, 01:44 AM
Lol true. The more you spend time building your physique, the less healthier you get; getting those post workout insulin spikes from simple carbs 4-6 days a week, a high protein diet, etc.

Nothing wrong with a high protein diet, but if you're using a lot of these refined PWO carbs I would make damn sure to supplement with enough vitamins and minerals in the right forms. No cheap garbage. A multi taken with the PWO shake would be a good idea if it's a quality one in capsule form. Hell if you took aminos and carbs PWO I'd even recommend something like ZMA to take with it. Just empty the caps into your shaker...it doesn't screw up the taste.

ArabMuscle
12-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Nothing wrong with a high protein diet, but if you're using a lot of these refined PWO carbs I would make damn sure to supplement with enough vitamins and minerals in the right forms. No cheap garbage. A multi taken with the PWO shake would be a good idea if it's a quality one in capsule form. Hell if you took aminos and carbs PWO I'd even recommend something like ZMA to take with it. Just empty the caps into your shaker...it doesn't screw up the taste.

I take in calcium and magnesium w/ my PWO shake. I'll have to add a 2nd multi-vitamin dosage too.

Carbs are always on the low side for me. I never go above 20% carbs out of my total calorie intake. Took me a while to realize that after trial and error.

NPCKnight
12-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Save the multi vitamin for your post workout meal after the PWO shake. Since the meal is(should be) balanced(p+c+f), it will have fats in it. If you use a multi with your PWO shake...you dont get vitamin ADEK in any amounts since they need fat. (and you dont need fat present when you are using these quick carbs to spike insulin)

ArabMuscle
12-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Save the multi vitamin for your post workout meal after the PWO shake. Since the meal is(should be) balanced(p+c+f), it will have fats in it. If you use a multi with your PWO shake...you dont get vitamin ADEK in any amounts since they need fat. (and you dont need fat present when you are using these quick carbs to spike insulin)

So a multi vitamin would be sufficient in my PWO meal, which includes the 3 macro nutrients.

Appreciate it bro.

Jude2
12-13-2009, 08:13 PM
I use and really like LG Sciences Perfect Carb it contains Dextrose, Maltodexrin and Waxy Maize. Not expensive and mixes well with anything.

jack08son
12-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I use and really like LG Sciences Perfect Carb it contains Dextrose, Maltodexrin and Waxy Maize. Not expensive and mixes well with anything.

is there a certain science to taking all three?

juggernaut
12-13-2009, 09:48 PM
shameless plug

http://www.beyondsupps.com (http://www.beyondsupps.com/)

stugots_
12-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Species Carbolyze, Been useing for a week now and loving it!

drsalomon
12-13-2009, 11:25 PM
honestly. table sugar. it's the best and cheapest.

juggernaut
12-14-2009, 08:35 AM
not everyone needs a sugar spike. I prefer a mix of both simple and complex carbs. My favorite is oatmeal and some brown sugar.

juiceinator3000
12-14-2009, 08:37 AM
honestly. table sugar. it's the best and cheapest.

table sugar is not a great option. you should do some research on that. im all for dextrose postworkout

*RedStar*
12-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Dex has never failed me, but if i have to take 100grams PWO i mix it in 2 shakes, if i take it all in one shot my gut gets upset.

natron
12-14-2009, 11:07 AM
I use relatively low dose dextrose, and always will. It does what I want it to do, it's readily available, and dirt cheap

big.poppa.pump
12-14-2009, 01:22 PM

So how essential do you think ZMA supplementation is? I understand that Zinc and Magnessium are very essential micros, but do believe we are all defficient enough to need a ZMA supplement?

Cooker
12-14-2009, 01:40 PM
So how essential do you think ZMA supplementation is? I understand that Zinc and Magnessium are very essential micros, but do believe we are all defficient enough to need a ZMA supplement?

I know this was not directed at me but I will throw in a little info. Poloquin has stated several times that in a population of athletes almost all of his clients were deficient in these two minerals, Zinc being the more prevelant of the two IIRC.

big.poppa.pump
12-14-2009, 02:22 PM
I know this was not directed at me but I will throw in a little info. Poloquin has stated several times that in a population of athletes almost all of his clients were deficient in these two minerals, Zinc being the more prevelant of the two IIRC.

Yes, I rememeber reading about Zinc in ALR's Building the Perfect Beast Naturally. I just see people, like Anthony Roberts, bashing ZMA supplementation. I have always thought about buying ZMA, but i am unsure.

Frosty
12-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Yes, I rememeber reading about Zinc in ALR's Building the Perfect Beast Naturally. I just see people, like Anthony Roberts, bashing ZMA supplementation. I have always thought about buying ZMA, but i am unsure.

Anthony Roberts is just trying to talk shit. All he was about to post was a link to a study that showed if you're not deficient in zinc then zinc supplementation doesn't boost test levels. No shit!

However there is a ton of information out there on zinc and how common insufficient zinc status is. You can check out google scholar yourself to read more about it. Magnesium is also similar. Both aren't easy to get high amounts in the diet and both are used up more in athletes.

big.poppa.pump
12-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Anthony Roberts is just trying to talk shit. All he was about to post was a link to a study that showed if you're not deficient in zinc then zinc supplementation doesn't boost test levels. No shit!

However there is a ton of information out there on zinc and how common insufficient zinc status is. You can check out google scholar yourself to read more about it. Magnesium is also similar. Both aren't easy to get high amounts in the diet and both are used up more in athletes.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Are you suppose to supplement ZMA along with copper? I can't remember what the added benefit was. I read it in ALR's book.

BTW What's this "google scholar" you are talking about?

juggernaut
12-14-2009, 05:26 PM
http://scholar.google.com/schhp?hl=en&tab=ws

GDavis
12-14-2009, 08:23 PM
I think if you goggle the subject you will find numerous studies and athletes stories supporting and condoning ZMA. In the end of the day I always ask people a simple question, why do you take/buy ZMA? Most common answer increases my Test. The data regarding this is questionable at best. Non-scientifically I then ask take it for 60 days then go off for 60 do you notice the difference? If your goal is to increase TEST, their is much better products out their for the $25 plus. With the above stated if you want to look into a product, SNAC makes an interesting ZMA-5 product with 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP). I do think the deeper (level 5) sleep ZMA gives you will increase recovery/GH production. As a sleep aid it is effective. I guess my issue is for what you get I just think their are better options out their.

big.poppa.pump
12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Or, if you order ON's new hydrowhey you'll get a bottle of zma for free. I am probably gonna go that way to check it out. The deal is on bodybuilding.com

DAVIDHARDY
12-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Buy the components and make it yourself; it's whey cheaper...corny I know lol. Serious;y though, on vitaglo.com, you can get the zinc, b6, and mag for really cheap, just make sure that you buy the kind that the studies prove effective.

big.poppa.pump
12-14-2009, 09:22 PM
I am sure bulk nutrition is place too....haven't searched yet though

GENESIS
12-14-2009, 09:54 PM
not everyone needs a sugar spike. I prefer a mix of both simple and complex carbs. My favorite is oatmeal and some brown sugar.

i was always a fan complex carbs post workout, but i just recently started using cell tech (it was expired, i would never pay for that shit) and the simple carbs is working. i doubt the cell tech is the thing that is working, but it provides the sugars that do, so whatever.

Frosty
12-15-2009, 12:35 AM
I think if you goggle the subject you will find numerous studies and athletes stories supporting and condoning ZMA. In the end of the day I always ask people a simple question, why do you take/buy ZMA? Most common answer increases my Test. The data regarding this is questionable at best. Non-scientifically I then ask take it for 60 days then go off for 60 do you notice the difference? If your goal is to increase TEST, their is much better products out their for the $25 plus. With the above stated if you want to look into a product, SNAC makes an interesting ZMA-5 product with 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP). I do think the deeper (level 5) sleep ZMA gives you will increase recovery/GH production. As a sleep aid it is effective. I guess my issue is for what you get I just think their are better options out their.

Zinc and magnesium are essential nutrients that support testosterone production. If they're low, which seems common, then that's not only bad for testosterone but also hundreds or thousands of other functions in the body. I wouldn't be spending money on test boosting supplements if you're not even supplying your body with essential nutrients.

If you want a simple way to test if you're getting enough zinc, then a zinc sulfate solution, aka zinc tally test, can help determine if you have sufficient zinc status.