PDA

View Full Version : Masters: Check in and speak up!

esplendido
02-10-2009, 12:45 PM
To all the Masters here, speak up, let us know who you are and if you compete or not. List your intended shows this year or tell us about your journey in training if you're not a competitor!

I'll start; I'll be 52 in May. I started back into bodybuilding in 2004 after a 14 year absence from the gym following a 14 year bodybuilding journey. My best showing in my previous career was 2nd in the tall class in the '86 AAU Jr. USA. I won the tall class in the '90 Mr. Midwest, then quit to return to college and finish raising my family.

I waited to enter a show on my return until I turned 50. I've competed 4 times; the '07 Muscle Mayhem (2nd, 50-over), the '07 Central States (50-over Champion), the '08 Flex Wheeler Classic (3rd in 40-over...no 50 over class), and the '08 Masters Nationals (6th superheavy).

I intend to compete in August in the North American BBing Championships and perhaps one yet-to-be-decided show.

My wife is also a bodybuilder and competes in the same shows I do. She's much better than I am!

Asmolenski
02-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks Esplendido for taking the lead. I think this new forum is going to be great and I'm really glad Dave and John broke loose from MD - this way they can do what's in the best interest of the bodybuilders and not be tied to some 130 lb control geek.

My name is Allen Smolenski and I work as an emergency physician here in Myrtle Beach, SC. I will be 45 this May. I am married to Donna who is planning to do her first figure show this year and I have 4 kids aged 17, 12, 10 and 7. Before medical school I served in the Navy as a nuclear surface warfare officer - doing a combat tour in the Persian Gulf during Operation Desert Storm. I've lifted weights on an off my whole life but didn't get serious until about a year and a half ago when I topped the scales at 232 with about 30% body fat. I started lifting again just for the exercise but then last year decided to do my first bodybuilding show after some encouragement from friends.

I entered the NPC Natural Northern USA October 2008 and placed 3rd out of 13 in the open Middleweights and 8 out of 9 in the Masters Heavyweights. I did better in the open because at 174 lbs I was in the top of my weight class while in the Masters I was at the bottom of my weight class. I have a lot of respect for the Masters - most of those guys have been competing for 20 or more years and it shows.

I am up to 190 now in the off season and I am trying to put on a few pounds of muscle while keeping the fat to a minimum. My next show is in October - I am going to take 1st in the open Middleweights and move up the Masters ranks at the NPC Natural Northern USA - my long term goal is to be competitive at Team Universe and the NPC Masters Nationals. I have been natural so far and it will be interesting to see how far that will take me in bodybuilding. For me this sport is a perfect way to keep aging at bay and competing motivates me to keep going the course.

Bodybuilding.com did a transformation article on me recently if anyone cares to see it here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/allen_smolenski.htm

Allen

Mr. Shoulders
02-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Good to see you guys here also...This is gonna be good...BTW, I will be 52 in May, 6'1", 236lbs @ 7% bf. Started bodybuilding when I was 26 and weighed 187lbs. Competed in 2 shows placing 2nd in one and 7th in the other...Plan on competing again this year although it has been about 20 years

gman
02-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Mike here. 47, lifting for 3 and a half years now. Wish I had started sooner, and am just glad I finally did. The best is yet to come. I hired Dave P for diet coaching 2 weeks ago, and am trying to get down to 10% bf and see whether I have abs. I hear we all have them, but I am not sure I do, since I have never seen them! lol

Once I make it to 10% bf, and see what's there, I will decide whether to compete, or just keep lifting.

I look forward to the company here.

Sledge
02-10-2009, 09:53 PM
44 this year.
maybe first (and only) show towards the end of the year. 178cm about 100kg and 12-14% (though maybe a little more after 3 weeks in the US with Girlymuscle).

Bryan Hildebrand
02-10-2009, 10:54 PM
bryan, 41yo former powerlifter and strongman. several injuries, most notably a C 5/6/7 fracture and trapezious tear. bought some bone graft and hardware for that injury. started lifting again and went from 330lbs, 23%BF and a 47" waist to a current 39" waist at 17%BF at 312lbs. working on tightening abs currently, one more bulking cycle and then time to drop BF to 10%. i'll have my umbilical hernia fixed and then start dropping weight. not sure where I will do my first contest. have a great local trainer working with me. I just want to step on stage more than 250lbs and have people ask: where the F*** did this guy come from?

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2130/129/39/1096166543/n1096166543_30068931_5597.jpg

esplendido
02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
bryan, 41yo former powerlifter and strongman. several injuries, most notably a C 5/6/7 fracture and trapezious tear. bought some bone graft and hardware for that injury. started lifting again and went from 330lbs, 23%BF and a 47" waist to a current 39" waist at 17%BF at 312lbs. working on tightening abs currently, one more bulking cycle and then time to drop BF to 10%. i'll have my umbilical hernia fixed and then start dropping weight. not sure where I will do my first contest. have a great local trainer working with me. I just want to step on stage more than 250lbs and have people ask: where the F*** did this guy come from?

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2130/129/39/1096166543/n1096166543_30068931_5597.jpg

How tall are you, bro?

Bryan Hildebrand
02-10-2009, 11:17 PM
almost 6'. I used ot be taller. deadlifts shrunk me!

esplendido
02-10-2009, 11:25 PM
250 will put you in the BIG category!

Bryan Hildebrand
02-10-2009, 11:32 PM
thats the goal. my wife wants to see me at 270. I havent been below 300lbs since maybe 1989/90?

Mouse
02-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Hey guys. 41 here so I'm not as "master-ish" as some of you farts but I guess I qualify. Currently weighing in the low 190s @ 5' 8". Not sure of bf but fairly lean....not below 10% though for sure. No "HRT" for this youngster at present ;)

fitbody
02-11-2009, 09:04 AM
To all the Masters here, speak up, let us know who you are and if you compete or not. List your intended shows this year or tell us about your journey in training if you're not a competitor!

I'll start; I'll be 52 in May. I started back into bodybuilding in 2004 after a 14 year absence from the gym following a 14 year bodybuilding journey. My best showing in my previous career was 2nd in the tall class in the '86 AAU Jr. USA. I won the tall class in the '90 Mr. Midwest, then quit to return to college and finish raising my family.

I waited to enter a show on my return until I turned 50. I've competed 4 times; the '07 Muscle Mayhem (2nd, 50-over), the '07 Central States (50-over Champion), the '08 Flex Wheeler Classic (3rd in 40-over...no 50 over class), and the '08 Masters Nationals (6th superheavy).

I intend to compete in August in the North American BBing Championships and perhaps one yet-to-be-decided show.

My wife is also a bodybuilder and competes in the same shows I do. She's much better than I am!

Dawn Alison from the Vancouver Lower mainland,
BC, Canada.
I'll be 45 on November 25th of this year.
I made my big comeback last year at 44.:D
Came in the best shape of my life to take
the BC Provincial Championships in the Masters, Heavyweights, Overall and Overall Best Poser
I came back after a 9 year competitive layoff.
Since I last competed in 1995, I...
cleaned up from hardcore drug addiction, now 13 yrs clean
had a beautiful son I named: Storm :)
got divorced again...:rolleyes:
and finally got all my ducks in a row in order to put it all
together again to come back RELOADED !!!!!!!!!!!
and this year i'm gonna be at my all time best
GUNNING for CANADIAN NATIONALS
WHICH LUCKY FOR ME :)
ARE GONNA BE HERE AT HOME
IN VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
AUGUST 22, 2009
let the games begin !!!!!!!

GirlyMuscle
02-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Masters....yeah, guess I am. 44 here. First show in Oct/Nov...NPC Mountain Valley Classic in Reading PA.

esplendido
02-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Dawn Alison from the Vancouver Lower mainland,
BC, Canada.
I'll be 45 on November 25th of this year.
I made my big comeback last year at 44.:D
Came in the best shape of my life to take
the BC Provincial Championships in the Masters, Heavyweights, Overall and Overall Best Poser
I came back after a 9 year competitive layoff.
Since I last competed in 1995, I...
cleaned up from hardcore drug addiction, now 13 yrs clean
had a beautiful son I named: Storm :)
got divorced again...:rolleyes:
and finally got all my ducks in a row in order to put it all
together again to come back RELOADED !!!!!!!!!!!
and this year i'm gonna be at my all time best
GUNNING for CANADIAN NATIONALS
WHICH LUCKY FOR ME :)
ARE GONNA BE HERE AT HOME
IN VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
AUGUST 22, 2009
let the games begin !!!!!!!
Looks like you've been through a lot and have come out strong! Congrats and best wishes on the Nationals. Keep us in the loop on how training is going. Pictures, pictures, PICTURES!!!!

esplendido
02-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Masters....yeah, guess I am. 44 here. First show in Oct/Nov...NPC Mountain Valley Classic in Reading PA.
LOL!.....you seem a little.....hesitant....to acknowledge that you're a masters, GM :D Must be that age-thing women struggle with....

You're just starting to hit your stride, my dear. The best years are just ahead :)

GirlyMuscle
02-11-2009, 09:52 AM
I'll be 45 when I compete. Ugh.

sassy69
02-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Closer to 44 than 43, competing in July in Vegas.

sassy69
02-11-2009, 11:25 AM

"PENCILNECK" is not the term I would've associated w/ you....

Mouse
02-11-2009, 12:03 PM
LOL @ all of you giving the age you're going to be. Screw that. I'm going to be 42 in a few months but until that very day, I'm 41 :)

Carlos
02-11-2009, 12:25 PM
I compete. I turn 40 in June. :)

I'm 5'6". Currently 210 but that will change soon.

Bryan Hildebrand
02-11-2009, 12:27 PM
"PENCILNECK" is not the term I would've associated w/ you....

no-neck, sans-neck, absence-of-neck, nada-neck are a bit more appropriate... :)

esplendido
02-11-2009, 02:02 PM
What are you doing in Vegas, Jill?

Deano
02-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi my name is Dean, currently in my mid forties (when i was 40 i tried to forget how old i was!)
Living in the UK, just outside of London.
Been training with weights since my early teens, only really started competing from about 30 upward.
Always ended up being talked into it by professional bodybuilders!
Cant remember how many shows I've done, but won or placed top 3 in most of them (regional and national).
Not really into the competition side of things as i hate dieting, but just love training.
Not to sure on my stats as i just use the mirror as my guide. i do know that I'm about 5"6 in height and the heaviest i used to get was 19 stone (266 pounds) off season.
Ive competed as a middle weight, right through to light heavy and heavy weight.
Right now i haven't been training much due to a shoulder injury, its been taking about 8 months to get better. I suppose that is down to age as I've noticed it takes longer to recover!
Anyway good to be on the boards and i wish you all the best on your endeavours. Take care.

Gunz
02-11-2009, 06:46 PM

Not really, but thanks, Honey (I'm the wife)!!

I am "still" 45 and most days, my body thinks I'm too old for this sport. And I just do what HE says!!! After all, he is the trainer, and I truly would not have unlocked my potential without his continued "nagging" :D, oh, and of course, support and ego-building encouragement. You Guys aren't the only ones that need ego building;)

DBowden
02-11-2009, 07:17 PM

I am "still" 45 and most days, my body thinks I'm too old for this sport. And I just do what HE says!!! After all, he is the trainer, and I truly would not have unlocked my potential without his continued "nagging" :D, oh, and of course, support and ego-building encouragement. You Guys aren't the only ones that need ego building;)

I have seen some photos of you that esplendido posted last year.
Amazing transformation from figure to bodybuilding.

esplendido
02-11-2009, 09:45 PM

Damn....now I have to behave myself ;) Welcome aboard, Sweetheart!

Gunz
02-11-2009, 11:14 PM

Gee, thanks. I owe it all to THE MAN (not really, but I let him believe that!) I have to say BB is a whole different game.

Gunz
02-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Damn....now I have to behave myself ;) Welcome aboard, Sweetheart!

That's right, Sweet Cheeks!!

sassy69
02-12-2009, 03:46 PM
What are you doing in Vegas, Jill?

Hmmm.. what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas? I guess we'll see just what happens :p

Otherwise all the mayhem will be centered around my first trip to the national stage at the NPC USAs, July 24-25. I suppose this will be how I celebrate turning 44, by telling people I'm 22... (or twice as good as 22...?)

TB
02-13-2009, 03:06 AM
Hi guys, I'm 41, turning 42 in March. I'm currently training towards my first masters comp this coming May. I haven't competed since 1999, so am hoping that my last 10yrs of training hard will yield some obvious physique improvements.
God how I hate dieting and cardio!!!
TB

esplendido
02-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi guys, I'm 41, turning 42 in March. I'm currently training towards my first masters comp this coming May. I haven't competed since 1999, so am hoping that my last 10yrs of training hard will yield some obvious physique improvements.
God how I hate dieting and cardio!!!
TB
We sympathize, TB. Diet begins April 1 for me. Not looking forward to it!!!

dcastro
02-13-2009, 03:53 PM
hey guys. Got back into competition last year as a masters, hadn't competed since 1998, and did very well under the tutalege of dave palumbo. Overall masters atlantic states, 4th lhw masters nationals, then just missed my pro card at the north american winning the lhw class but losing overall to mark levoi from canada. Shooting for a big win at the masters nationals in july this year. 43 this year. Bodybuilding is truly the fountain of youth

v1hyp
02-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Height:5' 6'
Weight: 190
Body type: OLD
Training experience: 28-9 YRS
Training protocol you are going to use on this cycle:DC baby !!
Supplement/PH history:
I haven't take AAS in so long I wouldn't know which end to stick in my Ass. I'm always trying new thing to see what works. Still trying to become a freak!!!

I have some thread on IM and AM (old & New) and I do pretty well at postiong
V1hyps Log - IntenseMuscle.com
V1hyp Trng/vid Dc Log
Hers some pics from when I started way back when. Just go to pics section

Bodybuilding.com Photo Gallery - v1hyp Gallery - Powered by PhotoPost
http://www.youtube.com/V1hyp

F.M.
02-14-2009, 10:35 AM
At the risk of repeating myself from another post....Masters Not-A-Competitor-Yet here at 41.

Last achieved goal: get down to < 230 and stay there (reset my bio "set point" - about 2 months maintenance). Now that I've done that...
New goal: get down to < 200 and stay there.
Long term: abs and then competition!

bigdaddyd
02-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Age :41 (42 in March) Height:5' 8' Weight: 235 Body type: Old and fat right now
I have been messing around for years but only got serious last year. I have a goal to compete locally this year.

bigdaddyd
02-15-2009, 01:56 PM
What's the matter? Did I kill the thread?! LOL

TB
02-16-2009, 01:04 AM
Yeah............."Old and fat" did it...........lol

v1hyp
02-16-2009, 10:39 AM
....lol

The Thinker
02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm joining the Masters ranks in April when I turn 40. Damn life goes by quickly. Still have yet to do a show but have lived the lifestyle for years.

esplendido
02-16-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm joining the Masters ranks in April when I turn 40. Damn life goes by quickly. Still have yet to do a show but have lived the lifestyle for years.
Welcome (soon) to the club! We're a fraternity of competitors and non-competitors who, for the most part, finally have the time and resources to train like we want and a wave of masters are flooding the stages. Soon you'll see TOP PRO quality masters muscle fighting with the young'ns neck-to-neck, taking names and kicking ass! :D

The Thinker
02-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Welcome (soon) to the club! We're a fraternity of competitors and non-competitors who, for the most part, finally have the time and resources to train like we want and a wave of masters are flooding the stages. Soon you'll see TOP PRO quality masters muscle fighting with the young'ns neck-to-neck, taking names and kicking ass! :D

Thanks! I agree that we can excel past 40 and I plan to do it. I'm going to be in the best shape of my life when I turn 40!!!! I have intentions to get on stage in the next couple of years but need to execute a couple of things first. I have always put on bodyfat easily and never fully leaned out. I'm in the process of doing that now. Once I've been through the process, I'll put a plan in place to get up there. I'm looking forward to interacting with this group through the process.

VinnyGalanti
02-16-2009, 03:19 PM
whats up everyone, hope all are well.

i was top 5 in the NPC Nationals from 93 to 2000, and after winning my class in 3 national level contests except the NATIONALS, i just walked away from the game....i was burned out

i won the the Jr USA, Jr Nationals, and USA.

AFTER a 3 year break the bug bit me again, and i slowly made a comeback.

13th in the 2003 nationals, 5th in 2005 nationals, 2nd in the 2007 masters nationals...

then last year i finally did it....i won the lightheavy wt and overall Masters Nationals and a PRO CARD.

if your in NYC for the NEW YORK PRO....come cheer me on in the 202's.

i hope to make the old fucks proud....lol

Vinny

esplendido
02-16-2009, 03:53 PM

i was top 5 in the NPC Nationals from 93 to 2000, and after winning my class in 3 national level contests except the NATIONALS, i just walked away from the game....i was burned out

13th in the 2003 nationals, 5th in 2005 nationals, 2nd in the 2007 masters nationals...

then last year i finally did it....i won the lightheavy wt and overall Masters Nationals and a PRO CARD.

Vinny

And you will, brother!

VinnyGalanti
02-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Hmmm.. what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas? I guess we'll see just what happens :p

Otherwise all the mayhem will be centered around my first trip to the national stage at the NPC USAs, July 24-25. I suppose this will be how I celebrate turning 44, by telling people I'm 22... (or twice as good as 22...?)

if your 44, why not do the masters nationals in pittsburgh the week before also?

bigdaddyd
02-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah............."Old and fat" did it...........lol

Damn...Then I gotta get that changed right away !

Gunz
02-17-2009, 11:25 PM

I had no idea....I wish I would have known how to train back in my 20's but back then, girls didn't show their faces in the gym...where I grew up, it was a man's "world"

esplendido
02-17-2009, 11:39 PM
I had no idea....I wish I would have known how to train back in my 20's but back then, girls didn't show their faces in the gym...where I grew up, it was a man's "world"
Awwww....isn't that sweet, honey. You're no longer a pencilneck!!!! :p

I guess 30 posts is the transformation point.

roesch
02-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Master ---Well maybe??? I will be 39 two days after my first show. I have been ppwerlifting for the past 21years. Deadlifting has always been my passion!!! It was a ride and I would't trade it for anything. I built a good foundation but was ready to take the steps to see what I have under it all. Kinda scary but fun at the same time. My first show will me April 4th 2009. I own a small Gym in Springfield Il that I have had for 17years.

MsGuns
02-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Im 36 but ive never competed in a master's show.
But I luv it that yall get up there and ROCK the STAGE!!

tdcoach
02-23-2009, 09:31 PM
48 Years old , started competing last year. I did 4 shows in Georgia. 2 1st place masters and 2 3rd place masters. I am doing the Europa in Orlando with a tune up show 2 weeks prior. I am actually looking forward to turning 50 and competing in the masters nationals. I signed up with Dave for my prep and have high hopes for this year.

Rick Prince
02-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Congrats TDCoach, you've done well. Best of luck to you at the Europa in Orlando.

I will be 50 in October. I have never competed, but will do my first show April 11, Vulcan Classic, in Birmingham, AL. I've been on Dave's diet since early December.

Redddog
02-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Hello to all.
I'am 47 and love to lift, and looking to start competing at 50.
Right now I'am 5'11" 250lb/20%bf and would like to be 240lb/5-6%bf.
I was thinking of working with dave if I got the $. yfis

esplendido
02-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Hello to all.
I'am 47 and love to lift, and looking to start competing at 50.
Right now I'am 5'11" 250lb/20%bf and would like to be 240lb/5-6%bf.
I was thinking of working with dave if I got the $. yfis
Welcome, Reddog! Sounds like you're on the same plan I decided on when I got back into lifting 5 years ago!

Let's see....the math. If you were to drop to 5% BF at your current weight, you'd weigh 212lbs. To come in at 240 and 5%, you'll have to gain approx 27lbs of LBM. And, with proper training, diet AND supplementation (AAS), you might add that 27lbs in 3-4 years, so waiting until you're 50 to compete is a good idea.

RodneyRoller
02-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Vinnygood luck Vinny I'll be there chearing u on! I hope to be able to join you in ac this year if all goes well at masters nationals

e143ls
02-24-2009, 10:23 PM
I've competed for 7 years 1980-1987 until I tore my tricep tendon which abruptly ended my training. I'v won many contest Jr. America, North America, International Grand Prix which qualified me for the NPC nationals. The year Gary Strydom won. Since that time I continue to train regularly and 3 years ago I had bilateral knee replacement.

Currently 52 and still train regularly. I have a complete gym in home so it makes access quite easy. I'm 5'8' currently about 240, I always was in the Heavy wt class weight at last contest was 225.

p.s.
02-25-2009, 02:04 PM
49 years old, and been training since 79. I've competed in BBing finally attaining my IFBB pro card at the 2004 Canadian masters, and I have also had a pro card with the WNSO back when I was a natty. I've also competed in powerlifting back in the 80s winning the provincials and nationals, and loads of other contests including some strongman (which I sucked at!!LOL!!).

texxflexx
02-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Still competing MASTERS & OPEN....getting ready for summer 09 BB shows!!

Lots of familiar faces here!

Good luck to ALL!

Lance M. Johnson
TexxFlexx

AnglicanBeachParty
03-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm new here. I competed once, back in 1993, and then not again until last summer, when I turned 50. I competed in the NPC Natural Michigan contest, in the Grand Masters division.

http://pics.livejournal.com/detroitfather/pic/001xdpzz/s640x480.jpg

I plan to do the same contest again this summer, July 18 in Detroit, Michigan.

esplendido
03-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Welcome, brother 50+ year old! Looking good as a natural. Keep us in the loop on your contest prep and results from the show! Welcome aboard!

I'm new here. I competed once, back in 1993, and then not again until last summer, when I turned 50. I competed in the NPC Natural Michigan contest, in the Grand Masters division.

http://pics.livejournal.com/detroitfather/pic/001xdpzz/s640x480.jpg

I plan to do the same contest again this summer, July 18 in Detroit, Michigan.

esplendido
03-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Still competing MASTERS & OPEN....getting ready for summer 09 BB shows!!

Lots of familiar faces here!

Good luck to ALL!

Lance M. Johnson
TexxFlexx

LANCE!!!!! Damn, it's been a long time. Do you remember me from Tulsa and the shows we did there in the 80's? I remember your famous backflip in your posing routine. I used to be Brent Hale's workout partner. I also prepped Brian Crull for the Mr. Texas in the late 80's. Good to see you on the board and still competing! My avi is from the Masters Nationals in '08 at 51 years YOUNG!!!!

Nattynomore
03-03-2009, 02:22 PM
41 year old here . . . been training forever, but just now focusing on competing in the future, hopefully summer or fall of 2010. Just completed second week of TRT+:D. Currently, 5'9" about 225, but bf in high teens. Looking to bulk a bit more through the end of the year and cut down to light-heavy for first comp.

Thanks to all who provide support, encouragement and knowledge.

esplendido
03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
41 year old here . . . been training forever, but just now focusing on competing in the future, hopefully summer or fall of 2010. Just completed second week of TRT+:D. Currently, 5'9" about 225, but bf in high teens. Looking to bulk a bit more through the end of the year and cut down to light-heavy for first comp.

Welcome Nattyno! You'll get great support and outstanding knowledge here. Good luck as you approach your contest. Keep us informed!

v1hyp
03-03-2009, 08:53 PM

Welcome!!

texxflexx
03-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Sure, Rick....I remember!! Alzheimers hasn't gotten me just yet!

Trained with Crull in Dallas when I won NPC Collegiates LHW in 1988-wow-long time ago!

The back flip has been retired-but I am still going...diet for summer 2009 shows has begun.

Hope to see you again at a contest-good luck!!

Lance
TexxFlexx

fitiron
03-04-2009, 11:10 AM
I am 46, and will compete June 6th, June 27th, and Aug 16th of this year.

I started BB'ing two years ago.

Last year I competed for the first time in May, then again the end of June.

It was the June show of 2008 that got me HOOKED.

Too bad I am just getting started. I love this stuff....

Pretty boy
03-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone, 44yrs old, competed from 1985-1996 NPC middle weight, over 30 shows, few first places, top 5 all shows. 2006 went in NOC PDI qualifed and did pro show. Doing Mets in april, then masters nationals.

FloridaMuscle
03-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Hello everyone. I'm 51 - been competing for 12 years. Have done fairly well competing. Won a Mr. CT and also a lightweight class at Fl State. I Compete naturally and still compete in open classes. Currently in WNBF natural org. Cheers to Esplendido for moderating a great Masters board here. His responses are first class!

Raphael

esplendido
03-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Welcome, FM and fellow 51 yr. old! Congrats on your stellar career, especially competing in open classes!

FloridaMuscle
03-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, Esplendido!

Andy Haman
03-15-2009, 10:17 PM
To all the Wise ones still going strong:

Andy Haman here, just entering into the masters of Bodybuilding!
I am amazed at all the guy's still Movin' the Iron regardless of Age-

For me
I Haven't thought of stopping my time in the gym, as I have been working out since a boy- and I still enjoy it as I did in the beginning...

Stay strong and continue what you do!

AndyProDaDdy!
IFBB PRO ATHLETE
www.Andyhaman.com

esplendido
03-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Welcome to the club, Andy! Look's like we have one more addition that can keep us all motivated and strong! We look forward to your observations, and "advices"!

Dr. Joel Nathan
03-17-2009, 08:57 AM
When I was in my late 20's and 30's I worked out consistently with a trainer. I lived in So. Cal and would train in Long Beach but go to Golds in Venice once a month for motivation. At 5'7", I got up to 180#. Felt and looked great. My shirt collars couldn't close. Then came family and job obligations and I slacked off.

Now, here I am at 54 (almost) and have been working out consistently in the gym since July 2008. I started working out again as part a state of the art age management program I was part of. I got certified in age management and worked with a brilliant physician who taught me much about this interesting field. I no longer work in age management, but use what I have learned in my current practice of addiction medicine. Some of this knowledge is shared in Q & A on my forum on Addiction Medicine & Sports (http://forus.rxmuscle.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63) this board.

I'm 5'7" 158# and have a great trainer, NYC Big Mike. I work out 3 days a week. I'm starting to gain muscle now because of the great training and I have increased my calorie intake and eat 5 meals a day.

I'm here to get support and associate with other guys who have similar goals as I do.

Joel

esplendido
03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
When I was in my late 20's and 30's I worked out consistently with a trainer. I lived in So. Cal and would train in Long Beach but go to Golds in Venice once a month for motivation. At 5'7", I got up to 180#. Felt and looked great. My shirt collars couldn't close. Then came family and job obligations and I slacked off.

Now, here I am at 54 (almost) and have been working out consistently in the gym since July 2008. I started working out again as part a state of the art age management program I was part of. I got certified in age management and worked with a brilliant physician who taught me much about this interesting field. I no longer work in age management, but use what I have learned in my current practice of addiction medicine. Some of this knowledge is shared in Q & A on my forum on Addiction Medicine & Sports (http://forus.rxmuscle.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63) this board.

I'm 5'7" 158# and have a great trainer, NYC Big Mike. I work out 3 days a week. I'm starting to gain muscle now because of the great training and I have increased my calorie intake and eat 5 meals a day.

I'm here to get support and associate with other guys who have similar goals as I do.

Joel
I was with you, Vo2, until you got to that deadbeat, NYC Big Mike....LOL!!!

Seriously, though, were you a runner at one point in your life (since VO2 is 'volume of oxygen uptake', typically calculated for endurance sports)?

Welcome to our growing community. Keep us up to date on your progress, and certainly come to me when Mike screws up your training :D

Dr. Joel Nathan
03-18-2009, 01:52 PM
My first sport was running. I loved it until my right knee started to bother me. I switched to eliptical and bike now. I had a "coach" who ran internationally as a sprinter. He'd help me once a week and ten I ran 3 other days a week. The rush is tremendous. I also ran in AM and it was a great start for the day.

Now, for the last 11 months I've been doing resistance training. I did not keep up the calories and lost 10 lbs in 6 months. I've had 2 trainers before Mike. All were great but not bodybuilders. Then I met up with Mike about 2 months ago. He's ripping me up so I can repair and grow 3 x/wk. Who knew negatives could feel so good? I am now eating 5 meals a day and gaining weight (mainly muscle).

I am doing cardio 2 days a week for 30 min on bike. The knee feels fine.

I'm turning 54 this Saturday and am more committed than before to do the work in the gym.
Joel

I was with you, Vo2, until you got to that deadbeat, NYC Big Mike....LOL!!!

Seriously, though, were you a runner at one point in your life (since VO2 is 'volume of oxygen uptake', typically calculated for endurance sports)?

Welcome to our growing community. Keep us up to date on your progress, and certainly come to me when Mike screws up your training :D

thepump
03-19-2009, 05:17 PM
How tall are you, bro?
killing it looking gooodddddd

Mark.
03-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Hello everyone , 48 years old & been back training just over a year after a 12 year break.

thepump
03-19-2009, 05:42 PM
hello

little d
03-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi guys ! 52 when I do Masters Nats, Started lifting at 42. Gunz you look awesome girl!
Hope I have guns like you when I strip my fat down.

little d
03-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Dam how did that happen? tried to post on a different thread but it wound up here! Sorry guys... let me tiptoe out of this one... how embarrassing!

little d
03-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Brain Fart! Ok old age brain has taken over! right thread, diff page oh now I am really embarassed!

v1hyp
03-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Lol....!!!!

esplendido
03-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Brain Fart! Ok old age brain has taken over! right thread, diff page oh now I am really embarassed!

Welcome to the.....the.....where the hell am I again???

Been there, done that! :)

HeavyDutyGuy
03-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Who are you people? Where's my frog?

little d
03-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Very cute Esplendido & HD!!! LOL !!! I dont know if I can ever post here again without being embarrassed!! LOL :)

esplendido
03-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Very cute Esplendido & HD!!! LOL !!! I dont know if I can ever post here again without being embarrassed!! LOL :)

You just pull up a rocking chair, park your walker, and sit with the rest of us here on the porch. A little alzheimers can go a long way to keep the peace :D

sassy69
03-29-2009, 12:01 AM
You just pull up a rocking chair, park your walker, and sit with the rest of us here on the porch. A little alzheimers can go a long way to keep the peace :D

W/ all of us trying to remember together, we should be able to put together most of it ....

little d
03-29-2009, 08:52 AM
You all are to funny! LOL! I think I' am going to like it here!;)
You know for as much as we old farts talk about how we hold AARP cards instead of Pro cards, I cant help but think we may be old, but we still look good! LOL's:D

esplendido
03-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Hehe!!! My AARP card...(I know I have it here.....somewhere....) saves me money. That damn IFBB Pro card costs me a lot...(chasing after it, holding it). Wait, no....that's women...

You'll have fun here, D because we're old enough NOT to take ourselves too seriously!

Rocco1943
03-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Well I guess I'm in the masters group at 65 soon to be 66. I am 5'11 and about 240. Currently on the Keto diet but wondering if I can tweak it somehow and still grow a little muscle while trying to drop about 30 lbs. Doing 200mg of test and 50mg of decca twice a week. Hope to compete in about a year at about 230. Working out 5 days a week at the gym and still working 6 days a week in construction.

esplendido
03-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Well I guess I'm in the masters group at 65 soon to be 66. I am 5'11 and about 240. Currently on the Keto diet but wondering if I can tweak it somehow and still grow a little muscle while trying to drop about 30 lbs. Doing 200mg of test and 50mg of decca twice a week. Hope to compete in about a year at about 230. Working out 5 days a week at the gym and still working 6 days a week in construction.

Rodney......no, no muscle growth on the keto diet, especially with the AAS dosage you're on. If you upped the test to 250mg/eod and the deca to 100mg/eod, you might eek out a pound of lean mass throughout the diet, but usually, no.

Rocco1943
03-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks esplendido, I'm probably better off shedding the weight to 205-210 and then trying to bulk up.

esplendido
03-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks esplendido, I'm probably better off shedding the weight to 205-210 and then trying to bulk up.

Absolutely! You can use the carb rebound to make some very nice gains in the 4-6 weeks following the diet, and maintain those gains for growth on your current AAS Protocol.

Rocco1943
03-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks again. hope to run into you at a comp some time.

little d
03-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Esplendido, ... Its time to pull out he AARP card and use it at at Walmart for glasses, Or did you change photos cause I could have sworn the at was a front shot before.
Hey are there alot of Females here? would like to know what shows everyone is doing...It would be know we have friends back stage.:wavey:

sassy69
03-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Esplendido, ... Its time to pull out he AARP card and use it at at Walmart for glasses, Or did you change photos cause I could have sworn the at was a front shot before.
Hey are there alot of Females here? would like to know what shows everyone is doing...It would be know we have friends back stage.:wavey:

Cruising the masters forum for chicks are we? :boobies:

LOL kidding.. I know there are some masters over on the women's board who may not have been posting here, but there are some.

Gotta keep spreading the word!

Speaking of AARP card, I was accused of being 30 tonite.. gotta love that!

esplendido
03-30-2009, 12:22 AM

Just keeping it fresh :)

esplendido
03-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks again. hope to run into you at a comp some time.

I'm sure we will, Rodney. The Masters are so much fun backstage. Even though we're very competitive, there are no pretenses because we're all just happy to be in the shape of our lives and still competing. Great friendship in the pump up room!

little d
03-30-2009, 06:14 AM
That awesome Sassy ! Makes it all worth while when that happens.

v1hyp
03-30-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm sure we will, Rodney. The Masters are so much fun backstage. Even though we're very competitive, there are no pretenses because we're all just happy to be in the shape of our lives and still competing. Great friendship in the pump up room!

Sounds like alot of fun, I hope to compete there some day!! Hey someone told me that there;s no pre-qal for the masters, is that true.

esplendido
03-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Sounds like alot of fun, I hope to compete there some day!! Hey someone told me that there;s no pre-qal for the masters, is that true.

You only have to have competed in an NPC sanctioned show, regardless of placement.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-30-2009, 07:26 PM
You only have to have competed in an NPC sanctioned show, regardless of placement.
And be able to prove that you're old... I mean old enough, hehe. a valid drivers license is enough. I wouldnt recommend doing the show without having at least 5 or more competitons under your belt. Even if your good enough, it would proably be too nerve wracking.

v1hyp
03-30-2009, 09:23 PM
And be able to prove that you're old... I mean old enough, hehe. a valid drivers license is enough. I wouldnt recommend doing the show without having at least 5 or more competitons under your belt. Even if your good enough, it would proably be too nerve wracking.

I;ve got a few shows under my belt so nerves (i don't think) would be the issue. I would like to win a few more local shows in my age group though b4 I would ever do the masters.

zander
03-31-2009, 06:39 AM
Hi Im zander from australia , 40 years young training seriously maybe 5 years ... 2 shows 1 win one second ... another in 8 weeks ... love the lifestyle but fully aware that Im probably at my genetic strenght limit so training a bit smarter now. Never plan on stopping .... probably do a couple shows every couple years.

esplendido
03-31-2009, 10:20 AM
Welcome, Zander! Our Aussie contingency is growing daily! And don't believe you've hit your genetic limit yet....not after 5 years of training....and ONLY 40 years old! You've got some growing to do, young man.

Let us know how your next show goes. Post up some prep pics along the way. It's always encouraging to see how others are doing.

Dom
04-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Hey Guys
I dont feel like a master! I will be 40 this June and been training for a life time. I am currently on HRT with on more blood work up before I change Doctors. Any and all advise will be welcome. I am currently following Daves Keto diet with good changes, my goals are to lean out get down to 175 ish and get on stage!

gman
04-07-2009, 05:03 PM
damn them are some heifers you got there!

It would be interesting to talk about Dave;s diet with you. I am having no luck with it. I did well the first 5 weeks and have lost net zero since then.

Dom
04-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks!:cool:

esplendido
04-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Hey Guys
I dont feel like a master! I will be 40 this June and been training for a life time. I am currently on HRT with on more blood work up before I change Doctors. Any and all advise will be welcome. I am currently following Daves Keto diet with good changes, my goals are to lean out get down to 175 ish and get on stage!
Good to have you, Dom. We look forward to hearing about your progress and watch you compete. Keep us appraised on your progress!

sassy69
04-08-2009, 01:58 AM
I see we've got a couple o' youngin's here! Welcome Zander & Dom!

Dom! Them's some brutal calves! Nice!

Definitely looking forward to seeing the Masters classes rep'd this year!

sassy69
04-08-2009, 01:59 AM
Speaking of rep'in' the Masters, Nice rear dbl bi-vatar esplendido!

SpeedoGuido
04-08-2009, 04:09 AM
Hi all!
I'm 52 years old (39 if you're female!). Been training naturally for 38 years. Competed a few times 15 or so years ago in local natural competitions. I've been a bodybuilding fan since I was 14.
I've been through big & fat stages and also lean, I'm currently somewhere in between after bulking for the winter.
I may compete again, but for me it takes a little of the fun away when it gets too serious. I mainly want to look decent because I love younger beautiful women!

Here's a pic of me last summer.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/500/ERNIE-MIRROR3.jpg

Rocco1943
04-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Don't let Dom kid you, he and I live at the same nursing home. lol

Dom
04-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Don't let Dom kid you, he and I live at the same nursing home. lol

:D I am the Master of nothing!!!! At least that is what the voices tell me!!
Did you do you cardio today???

esplendido
04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Hi all!
I'm 52 years old (39 if you're female!). Been training naturally for 38 years. Competed a few times 15 or so years ago in local natural competitions. I've been a bodybuilding fan since I was 14.
I've been through big & fat stages and also lean, I'm currently somewhere in between after bulking for the winter.
I may compete again, but for me it takes a little of the fun away when it gets too serious. I mainly want to look decent because I love younger beautiful women!

Here's a pic of me last summer.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/500/ERNIE-MIRROR3.jpg

What woman wouldn't want the body of a 25 year old Adonis and the maturity (and usually $$$) of a 50 year old man?

I do see a break point in the age of "curious" ladies. It's about 27 years old. Younger, they notice the bod, but think "ewwwww, he's older than my dad!". 27 and over, they seem to get very juiced over the idea of having a sexy, mature man rockin' their world!

Welcome, SG!

gman
04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
are you sure you are 50? Damn man, looking good!

Dom
04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
are you sure you are 50? Damn man, looking good!

It must be the Flintstone vitamins! :bowdown:

sassy69
04-08-2009, 12:48 PM
What woman wouldn't want the body of a 25 year old Adonis and the maturity (and usually $$$) of a 50 year old man?

I do see a break point in the age of "curious" ladies. It's about 27 years old. Younger, they notice the bod, but think "ewwwww, he's older than my dad!". 27 and over, they seem to get very juiced over the idea of having a sexy, mature man rockin' their world!

Welcome, SG!

LOL well can't argue too much w/ esplendido, though I can't speak to the research regarding the 27 yr olds. :confused:

But mucho kudos to the very hot physique!

esplendido
04-08-2009, 01:13 PM
LOL well can't argue too much w/ esplendido, though I can't speak to the research regarding the 27 yr olds. :confused:

But mucho kudos to the very hot physique!

Personal experience of a 52 year old bodybuilder...;)

esplendido
04-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Although I did have a 21 year old blonde hit on me on the flight to the Arnold. She had just broken up with her 34 year old boyfriend. She spoke in long sentences punctuated with "like" throughout. My only thought was "one notch up from a blow-up doll".

gman
04-08-2009, 02:03 PM
the other favorite word for young women is "umm"!

just teasing, if any young women are reading this.

sassy69
04-08-2009, 02:30 PM
the other favorite word for young women is "umm"!

just teasing, if any young women are reading this.

Us more mature ladies don't waste time w/ "umm".. we know what we want and go straight to "yum!" ;)

gman
04-08-2009, 02:31 PM
that's what I love about older women!

esplendido
04-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Us more mature ladies don't waste time w/ "umm".. we know what we want and go straight to "yum!" ;)

I just had a particular bodypart get an incredible pump!

gman
04-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I thought the 69 referred to her birth year, but now I am starting to wonder...?

sassy69
04-08-2009, 02:38 PM
I thought the 69 referred to her birth year, but now I am starting to wonder...?

That would make me sassy65.... that's just sort of boring and implies dependence upon a date / age to define myself. I have yet to be accused of being born in 1965 :beerbang:

gman
04-08-2009, 02:40 PM
None of us have, we all look younger because we are in decent shape!

Have you seen some of the 45-50 year old people at your kids' swim meets or ball games??

Damn, we look young compared to them.

sassy69
04-08-2009, 02:46 PM
I had my 25th reunion this past summer .... yikes.....

esplendido
04-08-2009, 02:46 PM
That would make me sassy65.... that's just sort of boring and implies dependence upon a date / age to define myself. I have yet to be accused of being born in 1965 :beerbang:

Brilliant job of avoiding the innuendo :p

gman
04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
30 is for me on August 1. That's the real reason I am obsessed with losing fat. I want to not be recognized. I was a fatty in school! I want all the jocks who got fat to be jealous.

Dom
04-08-2009, 03:06 PM
You know I find myself feel sorry for most of the people I went to High school with. Most of them are so out of shape and just plain nasty now. Funny how much time and people change!:wavey:

gman
04-08-2009, 03:27 PM
I am not saying this to be mean, but I went to my HS homecoming game last year with about 20 people from my class, and the men were easy to remember, they looked pretty much the same. The women on the other hand....

sassy69
04-08-2009, 03:50 PM
I am not saying this to be mean, but I went to my HS homecoming game last year with about 20 people from my class, and the men were easy to remember, they looked pretty much the same. The women on the other hand....

I saw mix of both receding hairlines & expanding bellies. I'd say it was the ladies who looked better at my reunion.

gman
04-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I had a small sample size, so it was probably not valid!

Dom
04-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I saw mix of both receding hairlines & expanding bellies. I'd say it was the ladies who looked better at my reunion.

I would agree, it is the women that look better. Not all but more of them.

gman
04-08-2009, 04:53 PM
I would add the modifier, the women did not necessarily look horrible, they just looked a lot older than the guys, IMO.

Some of the guys looked exactly the same in the face except their hair was gray.

I actually look about 10x better now than I did 30 years ago, according to my wife.

I can't pass for 39 any more, but she used to tell me that I have looked 30 ever since she met me. I looked 30 when I was 19, and I looked 30 when I was 40.

buckimscl
04-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Here is a child of 65 here. My 25th is this year actually May 16th. I've got an idea that people will be more than a little suprised.

gman
04-08-2009, 06:19 PM
welcome you look great!

buckimscl
04-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks Bro. I am tipping the scales at about 255 or so right now. I may throw a pic or two on in the next few days. I am going to be doing a show next spring and I'll need to be around 210 or so to be at about 6 or 7 % bf.

v1hyp
04-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Welcome buckimscl

buckimscl
04-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks bro! Good to be here.

Dom
04-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Guys
I feel a 2 to 3lbs weight loss a week is a good goal??
Any thoughts??
Good or bad just looking for some thoughts. So far for me its has been just that. Cardio is being done only one time in the am and I also follow Daves Diet. Monday I will start cardio 2 times daily .I feel this also will help with leaning me out. People in Colorado named Rodney need not reply!!!LOL!!!!

esplendido
04-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Guys
I feel a 2 to 3lbs weight loss a week is a good goal??
Any thoughts??
Good or bad just looking for some thoughts. So far for me its has been just that. Cardio is being done only one time in the am and I also follow Daves Diet. Monday I will start cardio 2 times daily .I feel this also will help with leaning me out. People in Colorado named Rodney need not reply!!!LOL!!!!

Dom, 2 pounds a week is ideal. I wouldn't add any cardio while you're losing at that rate. If the weight loss slows, that's the time to add more cardio. If you lose faster than 2 lbs/wk after the first 3-4 weeks of the Keto diet, you're losing muscle with it. Sounds as though you're doing very well! Keep it up and post some progress pics!!!!

gman
04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
2lbs is perfect. Keep it up!

Dom
04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks I was thinking that it was good.. 2lbs seems to be the norm for me and I am very happy with it. 3lbs was just a happy extra!
I will post some picks when my midsection goes away a little more. Funny I dont know about any one else but my legs, arms always lean out way before my midsection!!
I guess I will wait on the extra cardio . I wont mid waiting at all!!!!:bowdown:

esplendido
04-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Yep! Midsection is always last for me. Hell, I'm 25lbs from contest shape and my legs are cut!

gman
04-10-2009, 02:45 PM
No progress pics, Rick!?

esplendido
04-10-2009, 03:24 PM
No progress pics, Rick!?

I start 'em at 16 weeks out. Around May 1.

gman
04-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Look forward to seeing them, it will help educate me on what to expect when I am ready to do a show someday!

Rocco1943
04-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Hey Dom, don't you know how sensitive I am. LOL
I took a picture of me without a shirt on when I was "a little" overweight, and I think I will post it when I get to my target weight. How about some of you other guys do the same?????

Dom
04-10-2009, 10:15 PM
OK I will post one, Its a little old! 1977 ish Rocky , oh yeah ROCKY!!!:bowdown:

v1hyp
04-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Diet starts for me around mid jun,, may take some pic b4 then but hold off posting till I'm into the diet some,, not really sure yet.

sassy69
04-11-2009, 02:05 AM
OK I will post one, Its a little old! 1977 ish Rocky , oh yeah ROCKY!!!:bowdown:

* Theme from Rocky plays in the background *

Cute!

sassy69
04-11-2009, 02:06 AM
Diet starts for me around mid jun,, may take some pic b4 then but hold off posting till I'm into the diet some,, not really sure yet.

Don't be stingy with your pix young man! Looking forward to the summer run !

gman
04-11-2009, 06:49 AM
you can see mine in a separate thread labelled 10 down 30 to go. If I can put up embarrasing pics, everyone can!

v1hyp
04-11-2009, 01:31 PM
you can see mine in a separate thread labelled 10 down 30 to go. If I can put up embarrasing pics, everyone can!

Gman, I've looked high and low for some NPC shows in the Va area and can't find one.
they use too have the All Armed Forces in Va but thats in Tampa now. have you had any luck ??

gman
04-11-2009, 01:41 PM
I haven't. The closest ones I have seen are one in Sept in WV, and one in Nov in Greensboro.

DR.BB
04-11-2009, 02:01 PM
I think Lenda Murray sponsers an NPC show in August 2009 in Norfolk, VA.

gman
04-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Here's the link, that is in my area, I am at Va Beach!

http://www.lendamurraybodybuilding.com/

It's funny, this event is not listed in the NPC events calendar that I found at the NPC website. Unless maybe it is under figure. I looked under bodybuilding

gman
04-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Too bad I can't do the show! An NPC event in my own city!

gman
04-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Maybe 2010 I will be ready!

buckimscl
04-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Did some delts/traps today and snapped a quick pic so thought I post it. This is me at about 255 or so. I did quads yesterday and hit 495 for three reps and they are feeling it today!!!

v1hyp
04-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Too bad I can't do the show! An NPC event in my own city!

Tell me about it,, Looking at these two maybe.

Carolina Clash (Oct 17th)
Elit Mus-classic (Nov 7th)

Both in NC. Although it would be nice to have something closer

little d
04-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi Guys! Haven't been around for a while... busy working and dieting for Masters Nationals. I was wondering.. I have been dieting for 4 weeks and have lost alot in bf. I 'am wondering if this could all it could also be water loss. I feel like I have lost way too much body fat in just 4 weeks..is this normal? On Daves diet. I am happy but conserned ... :confused:

esplendido
04-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Hi Guys! Haven't been around for a while... busy working and dieting for Masters Nationals. I was wondering.. I have been dieting for 4 weeks and have lost alot in bf. I 'am wondering if this could all it could also be water loss. I feel like I have lost way too much body fat in just 4 weeks..is this normal? On Daves diet. I am happy but conserned ... :confused:

If you're losing more than 1-2lbs/wk, you're losing too fast. Is Dave guiding your diet or are you using his diet as pulled from the forums?

sassy69
04-19-2009, 01:32 AM

Do you know for sure that you are losing bodyfat and not muscle mass. How are you measuring progress? Skin fold caliper bodyfat measures? Scale? How your clothes fit? If you just started Dave's diet from a regular (carb-including) diet, I'd expect to see an initial dramatic weight drop due partially to water weight. But that should settle down after a while.

Sledge
04-19-2009, 01:45 AM
I'd aim for an average of about 1kg loss a week.

But having said that when I do a keto diet I dump weight (not fat) super fast the first few weeks then it levels out. when I go back on carbs it's easy to throw 5kg on in the first week or two. So it has to be water weight, nothing else makes sense.

little d
04-19-2009, 08:23 PM
I am following the diet on the forum, along with the primrose & omega 3's, vitamins and lipoloze & somalyze. I have lost 3% each week for 3 weeks and last week I lost 2% for a total of 11%.
I started at 126 lb and am at 118. I am doing 45 min of walking never going higher than 117 heart rate, I stay between 106-117 most of the time. I do 1x a day. I get the skin fold test done by the same pt.
I just cant believe that this kind of body fat loss is possible!

joedemarco
04-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi Guys! Just joined this board. I'm 44 years old and have been competing since back in 1989. I am a life time natural.

In 2007, I won the lightweight division of the NPC Masters Nationals. I took last year off from competition to make some improvements in preparation for the 2009 Team Universe.

esplendido
04-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi Guys! Just joined this board. I'm 44 years old and have been competing since back in 1989. I am a life time natural.

In 2007, I won the lightweight division of the NPC Masters Nationals. I took last year off from competition to make some improvements in preparation for the 2009 Team Universe.

Welcome Joe! Good to have you. I'm betting you have a lot to offer us here. Feel free to chime in on the various topics that come up. And let us know how your prep is going and how you do at the TU!

SpeedoGuido
04-30-2009, 02:32 PM

Welcome pisano! You look great in the avatar, any more pics online?
Good to see more Masters naturals here. Go Red Sox!!!

joedemarco
05-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Welcome pisano! You look great in the avatar, any more pics online?
Good to see more Masters naturals here. Go Red Sox!!!

Thanks! Red Sox fan? Unfortunately, they got hammered by Tampa Bay last night 13 to zip!

HeavyDutyGuy
05-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Is that you in your avatar? You look thick for a natural! Height and contest weight?

joedemarco
05-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Is that you in your avatar? You look thick for a natural! Height and contest weight?

Yes, that's me. I am 5' 4" and compete as a lightweight (154). I have always stuck to basic heavy movements in my training which I think has helped me build thickness.

HeavyDutyGuy
05-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Yes, that's me. I am 5' 4&quot; and compete as a lightweight (154). I have always stuck to basic heavy movements in my training which I think has helped me build thickness.

smart thing to do! You remind me of Chris Faildo in that pose.

SpeedoGuido
05-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks! Red Sox fan? Unfortunately, they got hammered by Tampa Bay last night 13 to zip!

Yeah, but they were tired from hammering the Yankees eariler this week!
I'm going into hiding now!!!

thfireguy
07-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Ok I know this is an old thread but what the heck. I am 45 y/o bodybuilder. At this time I really have never competed in a Master comp but look forward to competeing in the National master this year. 5' 7" 210lbs and 2% but calp. I stay very lean all year around and only drop a few pounds to hit my target LHW.22249

esplendido
07-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Ok I know this is an old thread but what the heck. I am 45 y/o bodybuilder. At this time I really have never competed in a Master comp but look forward to competeing in the National master this year. 5' 7" 210lbs and 2% but calp. I stay very lean all year around and only drop a few pounds to hit my target LHW.22249
Damn, bro! You are one ripped mother! You should do very well at the Masters Nationals! Welcome aboard!!!

thfireguy
07-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks, I am looking forward to it. Not sure quite what to expect. Hope to learn a lot about the sport and better possing.

Mr. Dead
07-14-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm a 41 year old INBF competitor... I will be doing the 2010 INBF Washington State Naturals, and competing in the Masters category... I've done 3 shows, so far, and feel I'm getting better with each one...

Crusader
07-14-2009, 05:53 PM
I've been lurking here for awhile. I've been in gyms sporadically through the years but so far I've been working out for over 4 yrs. straight with no plans of stopping.I'm 51 yrs. 6' 1" currently weigh 241lbs. In my avi I'm 217. I have competed 2 times and I will compete again in September at the NPC South Texas Classic. Still trying for more mass and definition. It will come.:D

SpeedoGuido
07-14-2009, 06:41 PM
welcome!

MsGuns
07-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Are yall ready for this weekend?

thfireguy
07-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Yup, ready for the Masters National and then.... and good drink! or two

Luv2Hurt
07-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Hi everybody I' new to the forum, this place looks good. Last competitions for me were 2 shows in 2007. 2 second place masters finishes and one 3rd place in mens open Lt Heavy. This was after a 12 year layoff from the stage. Took off last year to make improvements and will be back up there in early November this year.

Gonna use some of you guys energy and hope to give some back. Im 45 but this BB lifestyle has me feeling much younger.

joedemarco
07-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Welcome to the forum!

esplendido
07-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Welcome, L2H! We have several comeback "kids" on this forum. We look forward to hearing about your love of the game!

AnglicanBeachParty
07-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Welcome, brother 50+ year old! Looking good as a natural. Keep us in the loop on your contest prep and results from the show! Welcome aboard!

I competed Saturday at the NPC Natural Michigan bodybuilding contest (here in Detroit). I did not place well: 3rd of 3 in the Grand Masters. But I was pretty pleased with my conditioning, and the entire experience was just plain fun. The contest ran very smoothly and on-schedule this year.

Comparisons from Pre-Judging for our class can be seen over here (http://www.rxmuscle.com/rxgallery.php?comparison_classes=199).

I pretty much know what work I have to do, but feel free to chime in with your advice(s).

esplendido
07-22-2009, 02:19 PM
I competed Saturday at the NPC Natural Michigan bodybuilding contest (here in Detroit). I did not place well: 3rd of 3 in the Grand Masters. But I was pretty pleased with my conditioning, and the entire experience was just plain fun. The contest ran very smoothly and on-schedule this year.

Comparisons from Pre-Judging for our class can be seen over here (http://www.rxmuscle.com/rxgallery.php?comparison_classes=199).

I pretty much know what work I have to do, but feel free to chime in with your advice(s).

Nice conditioning! One word: Size! You have a small skeletal frame and tiny waste which, without substantial size, gives the illusion of smallness. But that frame is a plus because of the tiny waist and narrow muscle insertions. With wide lats and big delts you'll make others look wide waisted and blocky.

Take a year to get as big as you can, focusing on back, delts, and tri's and you'll move up significantly. Lift H E A V Y !!!

AnglicanBeachParty
07-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Nice conditioning! One word: Size! You have a small skeletal frame and tiny waste which, without substantial size, gives the illusion of smallness. But that frame is a plus because of the tiny waist and narrow muscle insertions. With wide lats and big delts you'll make others look wide waisted and blocky.

Take a year to get as big as you can, focusing on back, delts, and tri's and you'll move up significantly. Lift H E A V Y !!!

THANKS, esplendido. I totally agree on all points!

Luv2Hurt
07-22-2009, 10:26 PM

Looking good man great job!

Hard to be big and ripped as a natural and as a masters comper even more of a challenge, kudos to you. You did a great job be proud, enjoy some good food and plan out a strategy for the next one.

little d
07-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Welcome Luv2Hurt ! Nice to see you on this forum. Luv2hurt works out at my gym and is very knowledgeable and a respected bodybuilder in our area.

Well, I am back from the Masters National in PA. It was my first time doing a National show and it was a lot of fun! I took 2nd in the 35-45 light weight and 3rd in the 45-55 light weight division.

I am happy very with those results! I will be taking the rest of the year off to make improvements and try my luck next year! To be there with all those awesome athletes was a real treat! :bowdown:

Rocco1943
07-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Welcome Luv2Hurt ! Nice to see you on this forum. Luv2hurt works out at my gym and is very knowledgeable and a respected bodybuilder in our area.

Well, I am back from the Masters National in PA. It was my first time doing a National show and it was a lot of fun! I took 2nd in the 35-45 light weight and 3rd in the 45-55 light weight division.

I am happy very with those results! I will be taking the rest of the year off to make improvements and try my luck next year! To be there with all those awesome athletes was a real treat! :bowdown:

Congrats, keep it up, use the year to get bigger and better!!!:beerbang:

Luv2Hurt
07-23-2009, 12:18 AM

Hey little d :) Thanks for the props, glad to be here. You kicked total ass in your first shot on the national stage!! Little d picks a goal and does it and does it VERY well. She is an inspiration and an unselfish motivator, glad we are at the same gym :cool:

little d
07-24-2009, 05:30 AM
Well thanks Luv2Hurt...I have had so many wonderful people in my life always encouraging me and giving me real good advice.... its hard not to pass along a good deed. That's what I like about this site, these are a great group of people passing along what they have learned the hard way, so we dont have to go through some of those same pit falls. Oh by the way... nice pic's!

Catarina W
08-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi I'm new here, but I see a few familiar names.

little d, I sure do remember you from the 2009 Masters. Congratulations! That was my first show as well. I wish I knew I could've crossed over, I would've placed third (according to the stats) anyway, I was proud to take home fifth. It was just an honor to stand amongst some of the very best in the nation.

sweiss
08-16-2009, 04:11 PM
hey everyone,returned last year after 20 year lay off, 5 6, competed at 192 this year , up from 173 last year. In 2008, 1st in Dutchess Classic( 45 plus), ,st at Excaliber( 45 plus) 2nd at Master National (50 plus). in 2009, 2nd at atlantic States(45 plus), 1st at Garden States(45 plus) 6th at Master Nationals(50 plus) got smoked.Lesson learned, when competing in Masters National you you need to be ripped. I compromised size for condition - bad move

esplendido
08-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Welcome sweiss! Looks like you've really hit the competition road! Lots of shows in a short period. How hard was it to hold your shape?

D_T
08-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Hitting 45 in two months. Competed 5 times in the mid '80's then quit training for a decade and got into cycling. Started dabbling with weights again about five years ago. I like carbs too much to compete again but I'd like to look like I do.

buckimscl
08-19-2009, 12:41 AM
Welcome D_T. I know what you're saying on the carbs.

sweiss
08-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Trying to peak three times in 6 weeks was brutal. Quite frankly I will not do it again. I came in too heavy and was totally burned for the Masters. Next year I am doing one show, the North American.

firedrake
08-24-2009, 01:42 AM
Well, I'm new to here, but not to the iron. After years of back trouble, I had major surgery two years ago and am on my way back to the stage next year in L.A. in July. I look forward to talking to the other, um, "mature" bodybuilders out there for hints on issues specific to our, "experience."

esplendido
08-24-2009, 01:55 AM
Well, I'm new to here, but not to the iron. After years of back trouble, I had major surgery two years ago and am on my way back to the stage next year in L.A. in July. I look forward to talking to the other, um, "mature" bodybuilders out there for hints on issues specific to our, "experience."

Welcome, FD. This is the place to hang for the 40+ crowd. Keep us updated on your show prep.

Mr. Dead
08-28-2009, 06:29 PM
It's going to be great sharin' the same trainer with ya, and going through the same hell, together!!!