PDA

View Full Version : What to eat BEFORE SLEEPING ?

GrowthGifted
03-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi guys,

Observation :
Where I live whey protein is extremely expensive. An average price for 5lb's whey protein ( Designer, eas,on,dymatize all cost the same.. Whey isolates prices are through the ROOF ) costs 115 dollars .

I'm not bulking, I simply want to maintain body fat levels and lean muscle mass, would taking out carbs and eating only protein before sleep is the best thing to do ?

I've been doing this for months and works fine.. I generally eat egg whites or chicken prior o bedtime, not consuming any carb, even though chicken has fat in it o.O I calculate the calories.

SOOOOOOO
What is the best nutritional strategy for this objective ?

chasebny
03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Red meat+olive oil+leafy greens.

gman
03-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Any slow digesting protein is a good bet. Meat, eggs, cottage cheese. I think you are doing fine .

Where do you live?

I get 10lbs of Scivation Whey for 60 bucks or so.

MichaelWayne
03-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Why not buy online? Even if you are out of the country, there are still places at least half way close that would be cheaper then buying at a store.

anthony1992
03-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I eat 1 1/2 cup of cottage cheese before I go to bed

mr.genetics
03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
A mixed protein blend is a good idea. Something with egg, casein, whey iso in it works well. There are thousands out there, but I find IsoStack by PVL is really good.

Frosty
03-03-2009, 10:44 PM
I do chicken, veggies, macadamia nuts and fish oil. I avoid eggs and beef before bed...they're more stimulating proteins.

vatel
03-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Low-fat cottage cheese

Bubba Bronko
03-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Scoop of MHP Probolic SR with 1 cup cottage cheese...

HARDCOREB
03-04-2009, 04:53 AM
whole eggs with pb
low carb cottage cheese
lean cut's of steak(sirlon,flank,ect)
whey isolate with udo's oil
whey complex

The Thinker
03-04-2009, 05:24 AM
I prefer to eat a protein / veggie meal about an hour before bed. I think eating real food is better than a protein drink as the food will increase your metabolism more and will more evenly distribute the protein absorption rate. This is more a matter of opinion as I don't of any scientific proof that food is better.

GrowthGifted
03-04-2009, 11:17 AM
I live in possibly of the worst countries in terms of supplementation in the world : BRAZIL.

Like I said 5lbs of whey protein here costs 130 dollars, any product containing creatine in the formula is illegal, and I just found out that maybe BCAA's will also be illegal here.

About buying supplements online : As soon as they arrive at the customs, I am charged upon 100% of the supplement price, PLUS shipping taxes that Brazil charges,PLUS shipping taxes that the online website offers. Oh.. and if the supplement cotain any illegal substance according to Brazilian laws.. I'll need a medical prescription to pick up my supplements... GREAT COUNTRY ISNT IT !!!

Returning to the main subject of this thread :

Before bed I'm focusing only on protein cutting all carbs.. I know about slow digestion proteins but most of them are really expensive besides egg whites. 20 egg whites cost 3 dollars here.

I used to mix 3 whites plus half a serving of whey = 22 grams of protein before bed. If I remove this HALF a serving of whey protein will this make any difference on body composition or what really makes a difference is : calories burned - calories consumed daily ?

Also : Cutting carbs pre-sleep is a good idea or should I add disscharide carb like 0% fat milk or 0%yogurt with egg whites ?
here we go..

Youngguns
03-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Well, how much do you weight? Regardless 11 grams of protein before bed is too low.

What is your diet throughout the day?

Sorry to hear about Brazil, there's no reason for it, well, no legitimate reason.

the mighty stu
03-04-2009, 12:56 PM
When I don't feel like forcing down cottage cheese, or actual meat (chicken, tune etc) I really like o use Biotest's Metabolic Drive Low carb powder. Nice casein rheavy blend that actually fills you up pretty well, and also easy to drink if youre no genuinely hungry (I also like to mix mine in oatmeal when i can)

S

Myth
03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Why wouldn't you eat fat before bed?

GrowthGifted
03-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Before bed our basal metabolic rate slows down becuase we are at rest sleeping. Eating fat or carbohydrate ( not on mass gaining phase ) will contribute to adipose tissue storage. That's the reason why I avoid carb and fat before sleep. Do you guys agree ?

Note : I'm not talking about mass gaining.. The focus with this is to maintain lean muscle while lowering or maintaining body fat.

What do you guys eat before sleeping and why ??

Frosty
03-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Before bed our basal metabolic rate slows down becuase we are at rest sleeping. Eating fat or carbohydrate ( not on mass gaining phase ) will contribute to adipose tissue storage. That's the reason why I avoid carb and fat before sleep. Do you guys agree ?

Note : I'm not talking about mass gaining.. The focus with this is to maintain lean muscle while lowering or maintaining body fat.

What do you guys eat before sleeping and why ??

I've lost tons of fat with eating protein and fat before bed. Dunno how important it is either way, though.

Myth
03-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Pro/fat pre-bed because you are about to go 8 hours without food. Common sense...

nitro
03-05-2009, 05:11 AM
I have chicken breast about half hour before bed.

GrowthGifted
03-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I've lost tons of fat with eating protein and fat before bed. Dunno how important it is either way, though.

You can lose fat by eating literally anything before going to bed as long as you've created a caloric deficit for the day.

Our body has the ability to transform anything we put in our mouths into fat.

Do you guys think there benefits cutting fat and carbs prior to sleep ?
Many bodybuilders cut all carbs and fats prior to sleep, i've seen a dennis james video, where his last meal was whey protein isolate mixted with water

That was just an example becuase I'm not trying to compare our daily diet with a pre-contest pro bodybuilder diet, but cutting out carbs and fats has to have some type of benefit , doest it ?

Karuk
03-05-2009, 01:02 PM
4 egg whites and 3 whole eggs.

It's filling and gets me through the night.

DECABEATZ
03-05-2009, 02:04 PM
A blend mostly a protein that takes 6 hours or more to be utilized broken down absorbs slowwly....

Myth
03-05-2009, 02:51 PM
You can lose fat by eating literally anything before going to bed as long as you've created a caloric deficit for the day.

Our body has the ability to transform anything we put in our mouths into fat.

Do you guys think there benefits cutting fat and carbs prior to sleep ?
Many bodybuilders cut all carbs and fats prior to sleep, i've seen a dennis james video, where his last meal was whey protein isolate mixted with water

That was just an example becuase I'm not trying to compare our daily diet with a pre-contest pro bodybuilder diet, but cutting out carbs and fats has to have some type of benefit , doest it ?

ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION IN RED. :D

FALSE PRECONCEIVED NOTION UNDERLINED.:p

DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THAT YOUR BODY BURNS 100% ADIPOSE TISSUE DURING SLEEP?

GrowthGifted
03-05-2009, 04:12 PM
ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION IN RED. :D

FALSE PRECONCEIVED NOTION UNDERLINED.:p

DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THAT YOUR BODY BURNS 100% ADIPOSE TISSUE DURING SLEEP?

Myth.. Re read my last post.. I actually ASKED A QUESTION.. I didn't made any statement at all, I want feedback from everyone experience and results, thats it

thnx

Myth
03-05-2009, 05:33 PM
The body never burns exclusively any one substrate as fuel during any time of day-only higher proportions at certain times. That being said, you need to provide calories to your body prior to an 8 hour fast (sleeping). These calories can be any macro, really, but obviously the two most conducive to lean tissue gain/retention would be protein and fat, unless you just trained in the evening, then carbs pre-bed is fine.

Sandpig
03-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Isolate with 2TBS NPB works for me. Sometimes made with liquid egg whites. ( if I have some in the fridge)

ritch
03-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Pussy.

testboner
03-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Personally, I prefer to eat some pussy before bed ;)
But... Eggs are good, pb, protein shake, cottage cheese.
Some good answers up above.

Sandpig
03-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Personally, I prefer to eat some pussy before bed ;)
But... Eggs are good, pb, protein shake, cottage cheese.
Some good answers up above.

I'm sure we all wish we could have some pussy.

Married for 18 years now, so you know that shit rarely happens.

Mike the Ripper
03-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Pro/fat pre-bed because you are about to go 8 hours without food. Common sense...

Exactly.

Two scoops Isolyze (54g protein), 1 scoop Casein (24g protein), and 1 tablespoon olive oil in 12 ounces of water. Throw in 3 capsules of SciFit BCAA 1000AKG, Somalyze by Species, and a multivitamin, good night.

Comes to

470 calories
78g protein
15g fat.

GrowthGifted
03-07-2009, 09:45 AM
The fat is simply to slow digestion ??

Por2gue
03-08-2009, 03:08 AM
basically yes

Myth
03-08-2009, 03:16 AM

not "simply" for that reason, no. also to provide vital nutrients, first and foremost

collegelinebacker31
03-10-2009, 02:00 PM
My last meal b4 bed is always different:

sometimes its red meat and veggies and sometimes its tilapia and veggies

lately ive been enjoying a tub of cottage cheese. when i wake up my muscles are still as full as when i went to bed.

and if im feeling lazy i just slam a protein shake(usually muscle milk collegiate) and pass out.

Legend
03-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Pro/Fat