PDA

View Full Version : Is oatmeal ok in a drink?

applemac
03-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi.

First post here.

I work at 4am and have to have my breakfast at 3am. I wish to eat oatmeal and thought, hey why not put it in the blender and mix it all up.

So today, I put a cup of oatmeal into the blender and made it into powder form. Going to combine this with 2 cups of milk , 2 scoops of whey and a tbsp of natural peanut butter.

Just wondering if this is an ok thing to do? and if anybody has any alternative methods to this.

Thanks

chasebny
03-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Its quick and convienent and healthy. I do iit all the time.

mr.genetics
03-03-2009, 09:22 PM
I add it to my home made weight gain shakes when I'm bulking. It is a little grainy at the bottom, so swirl the shake when before each drink and it won't all sink to the bottom.

MichaelWayne
03-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Only problem is having to drink it really fast. Nothing like that last gulp of oatmeally goodness, like drinking wet cement.

DaveV
03-03-2009, 09:27 PM
That's how half the people I know get in their oats.

Bubba Bronko
03-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Blender! Makes it nice and gritty add some NPB and good to go

Glenda Bozett
03-04-2009, 07:03 AM
I have a friend that drinks it too. I guess guys are better at drinking oatmeal with their protein.

Sandpig
03-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Liquid Egg whites, oatmeal, NPB and a Banana blended. Quick breakfast of champions.

chucksm00th
03-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Oatmeal is great in shakes, i use it off season every morn for breakfast, but i would eliminate the milk and use water, you dont need the sugar..If you want more calories just add more ANPB or oats.

applemac
03-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Well today was my first time and I felt like I was going to gag. It was horrible. So I tried drinking it real slow and it was fine. Going to try it with water 2morrow. I thought a bit of milk first thing in the morning would have been good for a spike to get the nutrients into the muscles?.

Should I stick to water?.

chucksm00th
03-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Well today was my first time and I felt like I was going to gag. It was horrible. So I tried drinking it real slow and it was fine. Going to try it with water 2morrow. I thought a bit of milk first thing in the morning would have been good for a spike to get the nutrients into the muscles?.

Stick to the water, besides when you eat first thing in the morning your breaking your fast, your body is going to suck everything up anyway regardless, milk isnt going to "speed" anything up.

Myth
03-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Why would the thought even cross your mind that oats would not be "ok" in a shake?

bigdaddyd
03-04-2009, 07:38 PM
I think everyone I know that works out drinks their oatmeal at some point

SilverBAK
03-05-2009, 10:25 AM
I have found that blending the oats in a shake doesnt digest as well (for me) as opposed to just putting whole raw quick oats in there, letting them absorb the water a bit and then just drinking/chewing each sip.

Rob
03-05-2009, 10:30 AM

This is what I have found works:
put 550ml-600ml of water into the blender...then put 1.5-2 cups of oatmeal into a bowl and add enough water to just cover the oatmeal...then place the oatmel into the microwave for 1min - 1min and 30sec...then dump the oatmeal into the water in the blender and add protein powder etc...then immediately (if you wait too long it will be much more difficult to mix) start mixing on a low speed and gradully increase the speed...do that 2-3 times...this strategy makes a shake that is truly not very gritty at all and is easy to drink.

*If you use less oatmeal, then simply adjust the amount of water in the blender accordingly

:) I know that having a "strategy" to making a simple oatmeal shake sounds ridiculous, but I have been doing this for a long time and can guarantee that your shake will taste and feel much less gritty (if at all) if you try this method.

GrowthGifted
03-05-2009, 01:46 PM
You cant eat oatmeal cooked or raw.. it doesn't matter.. the only difference between cooking or not is that if you eat oatmeal raw you have have some issues "expelling" it later...

a cook idea would be to cook the oat with water, wait it cooldown, and than add to your shake. It will make the shake more satisfying too.

john koenig
03-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Cooked oatmeal as the basis of a shake works wonderfully. Chocolate protein powder, some BCAA powder like XTend, some Greens+ (putting it in a shake helps disguise the taste), some Fiberlyze, a tablespoon of natural peanut butter, blend the hell out of it, and you're ready to go! This was my breakfast early this morning.

KEVDIESEL
03-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Works good for me. Quick and cheap addition to shake.

Gerb
03-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I use to blend it, now I am so lazy (cause I am sick of eating) that I just dump 2 cups oats in a shaker with 3 splenda, fill with water and chug. Sometimes I get fancy and add protein too if I am not eating a whole food source at the time. I normally have to add more water atleast once.

someone above described it pretty well.... "wet cement".... but who cares, it goes down fast and I get in my 100grams carbs.... and from everyone elses comments, looks like chugging your oats from a shaker is pretty common.

Voland
03-15-2009, 10:03 AM
It is one of the few way i can eat that horse food.

red barraca
03-15-2009, 11:12 AM
yep you can,i chew raw oats with my protein shake before leg,back day

lilarnold
03-15-2009, 12:23 PM
i just mix up sugar free instant oats and whey isolate before going to bed and when i get up i drink it or eat it with a spoon.

been doing this over a year now and i'll never go back to cooking in the morning (unless i lose my job....LOL)

"Rodz"
04-11-2009, 01:29 AM
This is what I have found works:
put 550ml-600ml of water into the blender...then put 1.5-2 cups of oatmeal into a bowl and add enough water to just cover the oatmeal...then place the oatmel into the microwave for 1min - 1min and 30sec...then dump the oatmeal into the water in the blender and add protein powder etc...then immediately (if you wait too long it will be much more difficult to mix) start mixing on a low speed and gradully increase the speed...do that 2-3 times...this strategy makes a shake that is truly not very gritty at all and is easy to drink.

*If you use less oatmeal, then simply adjust the amount of water in the blender accordingly

:) I know that having a "strategy" to making a simple oatmeal shake sounds ridiculous, but I have been doing this for a long time and can guarantee that your shake will taste and feel much less gritty (if at all) if you try this method.

i like doing this as well, i prefer it warm, especially in the winter

ANADROLicfreak
04-11-2009, 01:33 AM
i use to add it in my whey shakes not bad at all.i use water though not milk

The Ultimate Warrior
04-11-2009, 10:12 PM
I love its ease and convinience...I acutally like the taste and texture of the oats with whey.

Legend
04-12-2009, 12:43 AM
...http://forums.rxmuscle.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

smvmuscle
04-12-2009, 05:56 AM
oatmeal in the shakes is a cheap and easy way to make a meal replacement or pre and post workout shake.... just 2-3 scoops of whey powder with a cup of whole oats mix in blender and walla.... if you dont have access to a blender at time of shake just put the whey powder and oats in a shaker, shake and leave for 5-10 min oats will become soft and easy to drink..... great stuff

VanillaGorilla
04-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Yea I do it I have even tried tuna mixed in a shake.

Mossberg
04-13-2009, 12:26 AM
Every single morning. In fact, tomorrows shake is in the fridge ready to go, oats and all.

kratos47
04-14-2009, 04:52 AM
try my muscle elixer bro
1/2 cup lowfat milk
1 scoop vanilla protien
1 cup eggwhites
1/2 cup raw oats
1/2 banana
1tps npb
add some ice and blend that shit. tell me its not delicous haha. i find the oats add like a nutty flavor to me