PDA

View Full Version : How do I get big hamstrings?

buster12
03-03-2009, 09:51 PM
I love acting like I now everything, but I have no idea if i'm training my hamstrings correctly. I envy those of you who have sick looking hamstrings( epecially on the side chest pose). Can som1 explain to me what exercises do what? I know the exercises, but I have no idea which part of the hamstring i'm hitting... I need help!:eek:

mr.genetics
03-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Do lying ham curls with your toes pointed toward each other, stiff legged deadlifts on a box (this will hit your hamstring/glute tie in and stretch out the hammies and also go deep on your squats or hack squats.

MichaelWayne
03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
http://transform.musculardevelopment.com/content/view/68/62/

Good ol Dave hitten em good. Add some squats with a stiff legged deadlift. I couldn't ever feel mine when I first started, but as they develop you'll start getting that mind/muscle connection and its easier to focus in on them.

Frosty
03-03-2009, 09:57 PM
I like a close-stance goodmorning. Go for a good stretch. This trashes my hammies.

Leg curls are fine, just don't go above 8 reps. Supersetting GMs with leg curls can be good.

Heavy and more sets. Hammies are fast twitch.

buster12
03-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanx guys. Cant tell you how bad I want big hams! lol. Would you guys recommend I train them separate from quads. This way I can focus on them directly one day, and Indirectly on the day I do quads....

Koubs
03-03-2009, 10:13 PM
I personally don't think it's a good idea to do them on SEPERATE days cause you'll really do hit them doing most 'quad' movement like squats, hacks, lunges.... I mean, even when I only do one DIRECT 'hamstring' movement, my hams are real sore for a few days

I like to train hammies BEFORE quads on one week, and then AFTER quads the following week... my legs are a strength for me and my hammies have really developed training this way... Here would be a sample 2 weeks:
WEEK 1: Squats: 3 X 4-8 ; Hacks: 2 X 4-8 ; Walking lunges: 2 X 8-12 each leg ; leg curls: 3 X 6-8
WEEK 2: Stiff legged deads: 3 X 6-8 ; leg curls: 3 X 6-8 ; Hacks: 3 X 4-8 ; Front squats: 2 X 6-8

indianamonster1986
03-03-2009, 10:15 PM
I love acting like I now everything, but I have no idea if i'm training my hamstrings correctly. I envy those of you who have sick looking hamstrings( epecially on the side chest pose). Can som1 explain to me what exercises do what? I know the exercises, but I have no idea which part of the hamstring i'm hitting... I need help!:eek:

Train them like you would your biceps. Also try to relax your feet and calves and concentrate on pulling with just your hamstrings.

Frosty
03-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Train them like you would your biceps. Also try to relax your feet and calves and concentrate on pulling with just your hamstrings.

If you point your toes (plantarflexed) this will take the gastroc out of the ham curl.

DECABEATZ
03-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Did u see mr g!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol lol lol lol

DECABEATZ
03-03-2009, 10:36 PM
We need some those videos here at rxmuscle baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

anthony1992
03-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Do lying ham curls with your toes pointed toward each other, stiff legged deadlifts on a box (this will hit your hamstring/glute tie in and stretch out the hammies and also go deep on your squats or hack squats.

Do this

Nelford
03-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Stiff Legged Deads works a lot. I had a hard time when I started doing them for the first time. My lower back would kill on this movement. Once I got my form together my hams started to grow and I barely feel it in my lower back. After this movement, I would move over to the seated or lying leg curl machine. I normally keep both movements around 6-8 reps.

Steve56
03-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Deep squats, lying leg curls with both legs and also try them one leg at a time...stiff leg dead lifts using dumbbells are awesome also!

Frosty
03-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Stiff Legged Deads works a lot. I had a hard time when I started doing them for the first time. My lower back would kill on this movement. Once I got my form together my hams started to grow and I barely feel it in my lower back. After this movement, I would move over to the seated or lying leg curl machine. I normally keep both movements around 6-8 reps.

For me at least, the key to hitting the hammies is arching the back really hard and going down as far as you can with that arch for a good stretch in the hams under load. Mine are trashed today from GMs yesterday like that. I find it's easier to keep a hard arch with GMs vs. SLDLs, but both are good tools.

ironstudent
03-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I give a lot of credit to deep deep all the way to the bottom hack squats, with your feet up high on the platform, and walking lunges.

Steve56
03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
I give a lot of credit to deep deep all the way to the bottom hack squats, with your feet up high on the platform, and walking lunges.

Great hamstrings!

Bigluva
03-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I train my hams with shoulders. I like to hit them when im fresh, not after blasting quads and barely being able to walk. This has made my hams grow the most.

Stiff leg deads, lunges, lying leg curls are my primary exercises.