PDA

View Full Version : Knee wraps and belts

KBigz81
12-19-2009, 12:09 PM
My training partner who is a male NPC bodybuilder has been pushing me pretty hard with my legs. Just the other day he had me leg press 1000lbs for 13 reps. I would've never thought of pushing that much weight in my life. I have no problem pushing that much weight but my knees are giving me hell... I have bad knees in the first place from being a fastpitch catcher for 12 years. Anyone have any good recommendations for some good knee wraps, I'm also in need of a new weightlifting belt too since I'm getting thicker from the offseason.

juiceinator3000
12-19-2009, 12:42 PM
inzer. anything else is pretty much garbage.
http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=WRAPS_IRONZ

APT also makes good stuff
http://www.prowriststraps.com/knee_wrap_powerlifting_knee_wrap_exercise_weight_l ifting

Wrap tightly otherwise they're pretty much useless. if you are using them to support your knees (which is why i use them, not to use more weight) and you can feel your feet after a set they're probably too loose.

Advantages of knee wraps-they will protect your knees a lot. they wont buckle or wobble or turn in when you are doing heavy leg movements. you will also be able to use more weight
Disadvantages- as you are using them to help protect your knees if they are as tight as they should be they are uncomfortable in the beginning. they are time consuming because you will have to take them off every set. you will be forced to use more weight than you already are.

KBigz81
12-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Ya I was just looking at inzer and apt products. Ever heard anything good about inzer's belts?

sweetjane57
12-19-2009, 01:07 PM
APT......heavy duty

juiceinator3000
12-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Ya I was just looking at inzer and apt products. Ever heard anything good about inzer's belts?

good everything :ok: i love inzer products. also depends on what type of belt you are looking for. honestly i personally would never get any lifting equipment that was not from inzer or apt. some people like those cheap ass padded leather belts or that synthetic material soft whatever that material is belts like the ones by nike. i don't get it. a belt is to support your spine during maximal loads. why would you buy something that wasn't superior quality. bottom line if i don't see guys squatting 5,6,7,800 pounds with it, i'm not going to use it. i would never buy something of inferior quality that is protecting my most important things, my joints.

KBigz81
12-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I was looking into the forever bodybuilding tapered buckle
http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FOREVER_BB_TAPER_BUCKLE

tammyp
12-19-2009, 01:55 PM
my hubby powerlifts and hes inzer all the way.

KBigz81
12-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Ya I think I'm sold on the inzer belt and straps. I'm going to get the purple belt and put some bling on it. :yep:

juiceinator3000
12-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Ya I think I'm sold on the inzer belt and straps. I'm going to get the purple belt and put some bling on it. :yep:

:yep: good move!

sassy69
12-19-2009, 03:25 PM
I think the only thing you need to be aware of these very durable belts is that they are going to be stiff in the beginning. You'll need to work them to get them where they finally "fit like a glove". But I also think a belt like that is your belt for life. Like your fav pair of leather boots - gotta break 'em in!

tammyp
12-19-2009, 03:27 PM
funny you say that jill. he got some new elbow wraps inthe mail yesterday and they wouldnt be for me. too stiff. but he needs the support with a 450 bench and i dont.

sassy69
12-19-2009, 03:43 PM
funny you say that jill. he got some new elbow wraps inthe mail yesterday and they wouldnt be for me. too stiff. but he needs the support with a 450 bench and i dont.

Yep! I haven't been lifting ultra heavy because I don't have a spotter / training partner. I also have el shitso knees and tendonitis everywhere - I don't like full on knee wraps because the wad of stuff behind my knees pinches when I bend my knees. I don't even like the thickness of a neoprene sleeve. Instead I have nylon & elastic sleeves (McDavid) that work great. Give just enough compression & support to my knees w/o cutting off the circulation. I've used these for 10 plate leg presses as well. I'd probably recommend a good knee wrap in practice tho.

KBigz81
12-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Ya thats what I was told about breaking in the new belt..I had a belt that I got from Dicks Sporting Goods but it just doesn't cut it anymore plus it won't fit around my waist. Damn offseason....But I can't wait to get my new belt..make it all perty too :-)

fbbhubby
12-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Does anyone find that the compression of using knee wraps breaks small capillaries in the lower legs? It seems to increase the venous pressure and causes them to visably rupture. Any solutions?

juiceinator3000
12-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Does anyone find that the compression of using knee wraps breaks small capillaries in the lower legs? It seems to increase the venous pressure and causes them to visably rupture. Any solutions?

i never really thought it was that big of a deal. but you could wrap them over sweats that should solve the problem although you will be losing a little out of the wraps

fitbody
12-21-2009, 09:20 AM

never had a problem with this
i use super heavy duty powerlifting knee wraps
and i crank them as tight as i can get them
i wrap them right before my squats & hacks, then take off immediately after
have to cuz my lower legs are goin numb

are you wrappin correctly ?
ie: herringbone wrap...
which makes sure that the pressure is even
also wrapping just before & removing immediately after lift !

fitbody
12-21-2009, 09:25 AM
for knee wraps & a good belt go here: Crains muscle world
http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/

make sure you get a belt that is the same thickness all the way around
you double necessarily need a double thickness power belt although that is the best
breakin them in is a bitch but a good one will last a lifetime

talk to Rickey Crain he's the owner
tell him Dawn Alison ~ but he'll know me most likely as Dawn Young sent you

when it comes to his believe me i know what i'm talkin about
in 1991 I was U.S. National Champion Powerlifter
belts & wraps are super important you get the right ones
crappy wraps are useless
and if you get the kinda of belt thatz thinner in the front it's not gonna give you the support in your core that you need to keep you protected

sassy69
12-21-2009, 06:30 PM
^^ FB you bring up a good point about not just getting the eqpt, but knowing how to use it properly. RE: wrapping technique, its been a while since I've used wraps, but when I did used what I think is the same herringbone method you're talking about. I thought this was a good tutorial - here they call this method the "Nichols Tread Technique" (around the 2:00 point in the video):

YouTube- APT Knee Wrap Tutorial Technique

juiceinator3000
12-21-2009, 06:33 PM
^ i was so going to post that video! i forgot to though :(

sassy69
12-21-2009, 06:43 PM
^ i was so going to post that video! i forgot to though :(

Great minds think alike!

KBigz81
12-21-2009, 09:15 PM
sweet thanks sassy....I got the tapered belt. I tried the belt that is wide all the way around and it digs into my ribs too much to the point it hurts.

sassy69
12-22-2009, 12:37 AM
sweet thanks sassy....I got the tapered belt. I tried the belt that is wide all the way around and it digs into my ribs too much to the point it hurts.

This is a problem I've had w/ leather belts I've had in the past. I guess that's where you gotta spend a lot of time breaking it in. I currently use a Nike belt - I guess it travels well & fits well. There's a guy who has the same belt & he lifts reasonably heavy stuff (4+ plates) so I guess its sufficient for that.

Perhaps next year I'll invest.

bodimajestik
12-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Can't do a leg workout without them....wearing knee raps gives a satisfaction while lifting that something is not gonne break....lol

Toniann
12-22-2009, 06:28 AM
I wear my knee wraps all the time when I do legs cause I have arthritis in my right knee and that wrap helps.
I just hope my SO has been paying attention and is getting me a new belt for Christmas.

KBigz81
12-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I have arthritis in my left knee and tendinitis in both knees so usually the fews days after the workout it hurts to just walk. I'm taking joint supp by beverly intl. but I just started taking it 1 week ago so of course i'm not feeling relief yet. Arthrolyze does help but I can't afford it right now.

Toniann
12-22-2009, 01:42 PM
I have arthritis in my left knee and tendinitis in both knees so usually the fews days after the workout it hurts to just walk. I'm taking joint supp by beverly intl. but I just started taking it 1 week ago so of course i'm not feeling relief yet. Arthrolyze does help but I can't afford it right now.

So far so good, I don't want to jinx myself but I haven't had any discomfort in quite some time. But I use to take m/s conjointin, it helped for a little bit.

bodimajestik
12-23-2009, 03:46 AM
So far so good, I don't want to jinx myself but I haven't had any discomfort in quite some time. But I use to take m/s conjointin, it helped for a little bit.

I also have some issues in my both knees so I can't really do my leg workout without support.......