PDA

View Full Version : Singing the praises of ginger tea for bloating

freebirdmac
12-21-2009, 08:28 PM
I've had IBS forever and can get really uncomfortable bloating. Hormonal driven cases during this menopausal time are particularly frustrating as there are no real cycles. It can seemingly go on forever! So I bought a ginger root at the grocery store and made my own tea based on it's supposed digestive qualities. Well it has really helped! And fast! I'm going to see if I can find some fresh peppermint leaves and make a ginger-peppermint tea for further digestive help.

It's simple. Just boil 4 cups of water. Slice up two inches of peeled root, thinly. Drop in boiling water, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. That's it. You can adjust simmer time to get the strength you want. I found I needed to cut the ginger tea in half with water with the above method. Very little sweetening is needed.

One cup last night kept my belly from looking like I had gained 10 pounds today after two weeks of misery. It felt so much better too. Having another cup now to keep it going.

I don't gain weight when this happens, it's intestinal bloating, so I'm not sure what it will do for water bloating. Oh, and it's supposed to be great for cough and colds. Diabetics and people on blood thinners need to be careful with ginger consumption from what I understand.

DICE
12-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Or go to Costco and buy a bottle of probiotics and another of Digestive Enzymes. Keeps the bloat down no problem.

SlimTim
12-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Or go to Costco and buy a bottle of probiotics and another of Digestive Enzymes. Keeps the bloat down no problem.

X2! I just started using digestive enzymes last week and its made a huge difference.

freebirdmac
12-21-2009, 08:53 PM

X2! I just started using digestive enzymes last week and its made a huge difference.

Digestive enzymes do something completely different. They are called for when the body cannot breakdown certain foods and you eat them anyway. Their job is to breakdown food.

Ginger calms the gut, relaxes the smooth muscles, and stimulates the body's own digestive process.

DICE
12-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Digestive enzymes do something completely different. They are called for when the body cannot breakdown certain foods and you eat them anyway. Their job is to breakdown food.

Ginger calms the gut, relaxes the smooth muscles, and stimulates the body's own digestive process.
just trying to help. they worked on me for my last show.pics in profile.and they 100% help for bloat.

freebirdmac
12-21-2009, 08:57 PM
just trying to help. they worked on me for my last show.pics in profile.and they 100% help for bloat.

Depends on the reason for the bloat :)

sassy69
12-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Ginger root is a fantastic thing.

I used to work dive charters in S. Florida and we'd always get divers who didn't take their Dramamine early enough (it needs to be at least an hr before you go in the water for it to work) or they'd just plain old get seasick. (And nothing gets more people sick than watching one person get sick... domino effect... ew.) Ginger root worked immediately for these poor bastards. And that much less barf we'd have to hose off the boat after the trip. Ew.

Also helps digesting protein mix (which after a while, can get touchy...)

KBigz81
12-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Awesome info! I also have IBS w/constipation. I must be stressed about something right now cuz its tearing me up. I feel so unsexy when its flared up. Not fun at all.:no:
I was on a study drug for a long time but after the study was done they put the medicine on the market and I couldn't afford it even with insurance.
But this is great to hear about he ginger root. I'll pick some up tomorrow.

Nitro Fueled Barbie/Mel Marx
12-22-2009, 02:52 AM
Great Post, good to know.