PDA

View Full Version : When to stop

Toniann
12-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Today I was working out quads heavier than usual and by my second workout I felt the same way I usually do after doing 4 to 5 different exercises. I was talking to this guy and he said there is no need to continue my workout cause I already tore the muscle. It made sense but I still continued with my workouts till I had at least 5 exercises done.
Do you guys think this information is correct?

Youngguns
12-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Definitely not.

Your muscle grows when it gets stimulous that is hasn't prior, that is all.

SallyAnne
12-22-2009, 01:34 PM
explain 'tore the muscle'. Do you mean an injury?

Toniann
12-22-2009, 01:37 PM
explain 'tore the muscle'. Do you mean an injury?

No, he meant if the muscles fibers are broken/damaged by your 2nd workout there is no need to continue.

freebirdmac
12-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Sounds like an off day. I wouldn't think anything of it unless it persists.

Suzanne
12-22-2009, 02:07 PM
I go until muscle has nothing left

Generally for legs that would be 3-4 quads exercises and 3 hamstring

Suzanne
12-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Sounds like an off day. I wouldn't think anything of it unless it persists.

she meant the muscle fibers teas we want from every workout to grow not an injury

Toniann
12-22-2009, 02:14 PM
she meant the muscle fibers teas we want from every workout to grow not an injury

Thank you that's how I feel I go till I have nothing left and can barely walk, I rather take your advise than some guy who is not looking to grow anymore and is just maintaining what he has.

Suzanne
12-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Thank you that's how I feel I go till I have nothing left and can barely walk, I rather take your advise than some guy who is not looking to grow anymore and is just maintaining what he has.

We practically crawled out of the gym on Sunday :yep:
our last exercise was a leg press dropset
10 yoyal platesx15
9x15
8x10
7x10
1x10
0x10 left leg
ox10 right leg
no rest

an oh am i feeling it still today!!!!

Toniann
12-22-2009, 02:47 PM
We practically crawled out of the gym on Sunday :yep:
our last exercise was a leg press dropset
10 yoyal platesx15
9x15
8x10
7x10
1x10
0x10 left leg
ox10 right leg
no rest

an oh am i feeling it still today!!!!

I should do that so I can have legs like you, you have great legs, I tend to do lunges cause by the time I am done I want to cry and I feel it for days.

freebirdmac
12-22-2009, 03:12 PM

Right. And since she was running out of gas earlier than normal it sounded like an off day.

Suzanne
12-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Right. And since she was running out of gas earlier than normal it sounded like an off day.

gotcha

musclemilf
12-22-2009, 03:23 PM
I should do that so I can have legs like you, you have great legs,

I agree, Suzanne's legs are pretty amazing.

Suzanne
12-22-2009, 03:23 PM
I should do that so I can have legs like you, you have great legs, I tend to do lunges cause by the time I am done I want to cry and I feel it for days.

Thank you! I have always loved leg day best! Adn it is the one i can push the most thru the pain and even when feeling weak

Suzanne
12-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I agree, Suzanne's legs are pretty amazing.

thank you :)

sassy69
12-22-2009, 06:38 PM
I think its more important to listen to your body -- its one thing to do "just enough" but you're trying to make optimal improvements over time, every day does matter - both in your intensity as well as your recovery. By recovery I am referring both to down time as well as a deload that you might need if you've been pushing it in order to limit CNS overload.

Everything about your body is cyclic - it responds to the stimuli, but also needs some catch up time to prepare for the next run of "change-inducing activity".

Por2gue
12-22-2009, 07:14 PM
No, he meant if the muscles fibers are broken/damaged by your 2nd workout there is no need to continue.
Are you saying workout, but meaning sets?

Toniann
12-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Are you saying workout, but meaning sets?

When I mean workout I was referring to 1st leg extensions- 4 sets
2nd Squat- 4 sets
3rd leg press- 4 sets
4th lunges- 3 sets

SuperSnake
12-22-2009, 07:34 PM
If you can stand up or you haven't puked, you should keep going and finish the workout. Don't let silly ideas like this hold you back...keep going.

Suzanne
12-22-2009, 08:46 PM
If you can stand up or you haven't puked, you should keep going and finish the workout. Don't let silly ideas like this hold you back...keep going.

Even if you puked but can still stand up should finish the WO :)

debbiebramwell
12-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Even if you puked but can still stand up should finish the WO :)

lol I have never puked but my extraining partner in SD did every week. We did legs on tuesdays with my trainer. We called it throwup tuesday! lol everyone picked on him:phe would throw up then jump back in until we were done. sometimes he was done before the workout so I would finish without him. he couldnt hang! lol

you are training heavier so you will feel it sooner....welcome to real leg training!!:yep:

Por2gue
12-23-2009, 02:20 AM
When I mean workout I was referring to 1st leg extensions- 4 sets
2nd Squat- 4 sets
3rd leg press- 4 sets
4th lunges- 3 sets
Oh, I see, so you say it like one would say" My second exercise for legs." I get it. I was just kinda confused cause I think most people say "workout" as their time in the gym that day was their "workout." Never mind me, English is my third language. Back to your op ?, Snake has it right IMO.

Toniann
12-23-2009, 05:34 AM
So the consensus is? to keep working out till you can hardly walk and not to stop if you feel sore when you are on your 2nd workout.
I figured that! why I asked is quite a few times I have seen these big guys come in and only do 2 intense leg workouts then leave. So it makes me wonder is that how he got that big? or is that all he needs to maintain what he has?

debbiebramwell
12-23-2009, 06:21 PM
So the consensus is? to keep working out till you can hardly walk and not to stop if you feel sore when you are on your 2nd workout.
I figured that! why I asked is quite a few times I have seen these big guys come in and only do 2 intense leg workouts then leave. So it makes me wonder is that how he got that big? or is that all he needs to maintain what he has?

you really had me confused by saying "workout"(and everyone else too) You mean the 2nd exercise on leg day. usually I will do 4 exercises for quads and 2-3 for hamstrings in one workout. You shouldnt feel sore that day but a huge pump and fatique as your workout progresses. Some days you will feel stronger then others so you just adjust how much weight you can do that day.