PDA

View Full Version : Women and Offseason Weight Gain!

huge285
12-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Women and Offseason Weight Gain! Can Roxanne Edwards Stay Within 10lbs of Her Contest weight?

http://www.rxmuscle.com/the-women/1045-women-and-offseason-weight-gain.html

JuanDiesel
12-24-2009, 08:52 AM
i believe she is going to accomplish her mission, she is a very determined individual and does not know how to fail.... she has my suport and backup

GirlyMuscle
12-24-2009, 08:54 AM
I wonder if she's excluding the water weight gained back after a show?

Toniann
12-24-2009, 10:35 AM
I always find it amazing that people can stay within 10 to 20 pounds of there weight. I know as soon as I finished my last show I pretty much gained 20 pounds with 2 weeks and most of it was water. The down side was I was going on vacation 5 day after my last show and was hoping I would be ripped but I was pretty smooth, almost looked like every other mother in Seaworld.

Suzanne
12-24-2009, 10:44 AM
I always find it amazing that people can stay within 10 to 20 pounds of there weight. I know as soon as I finished my last show I pretty much gained 20 pounds with 2 weeks and most of it was water. The down side was I was going on vacation 5 day after my last show and was hoping I would be ripped but I was pretty smooth, almost looked like every other mother in Seaworld.

I am a water holder also i dropped 10lbs of water the last 2 weeks before show so it is impossible for me to be 10lbs from weigh in weight.

I look more at the weight i was the Monday before the show and compare to that

It is best to stay at a decent bf% no more than about 14% cuz you are more anabolic when leaner

~gymdiva~
12-24-2009, 12:44 PM
no more than 14%???? that's VERY difficult for most females!

I still struggle with not falling back into old ED habits from the ups and downs of the contest and post-contest times...maybe this year I can figure that out....

Suzanne
12-24-2009, 02:44 PM
no more than 14%???? that's VERY difficult for most females!

what i was trying to say is it is completely wrong to think you have to gain a bunch of fat to gain muscle cuz you are less anabolic when you have a bunch of body fat so easier to put on muscle if you stay fairly lean

sassy69
12-24-2009, 02:58 PM
I think most women go back to around 15-16% (if you removed any post-show crazy binge) within a couple weeks of a show. Optimally the closer to around 15% when you start cutting the better off you are so you are only doing a small drop instead of a frantic push to drop 20% bodyfat. You might be able to do it but you'll probably then have issues w/ loose skin and be over-stressed in general as the body doesn't like rapid change.

This might beg the question if you can make lean gains off-season - but I think a lot of it is just in keeping the mindset that just because its not your 16 week prep period, doesn't mean you should still be on some sort of program - i.e .its not a free-for-all, because you can't expect to do whatever the hell for 6 months and then come back for a show and not regret the free-for-all that left you w/ too much to lose to hit your contest date.

Off-season is grow / refine time. Not fat time. Sure, any good diet can support some unscheduled cheats, but if you let it go, then you can't expect to be making optimal gains in the time you have before you have to start cutting again.

This goes back to my own experience, which gives rise to what really should be the obvious planning of competition schedule:

- 16 weeks - 8 weeks - slow, methodical cut
- 8-1 weeks - dialing in
- 1 week- show day - peak week
- show day -- specific water manipulation
- show day + 1 - 1-2 weeks later - post-show "dismount" - ease back into a maintenance diet
- 2 weeks - off-season - maintenance or bulk diet

I.e. everything has a place on the schedule. Just because you stepped off stage doesn't mean its time to let loose. It is the biggest thing I regret doing in my competition experience. 18 lb of water gained in 6 days, and took me nearly a year to get my head & my metabolism back in order.

KBigz81
12-24-2009, 03:20 PM
I definitely hold water when I eat carbs. I thought I was just gaining fat for a while and I went to keto for just a week and dropped 9 lbs that week. My legs looked alot better so most of the water goes into my legs and butt. I can be smooth in my legs but see the top half of my abs.

Suzanne
12-24-2009, 05:23 PM
I definitely hold water when I eat carbs. I thought I was just gaining fat for a while and I went to keto for just a week and dropped 9 lbs that week. My legs looked alot better so most of the water goes into my legs and butt. I can be smooth in my legs but see the top half of my abs.

shows how we all so different i never have anything resembling abs offseason and this last prep seeing them 6 weeks out was a miricle

but i have definition in my legs all the time

Youngguns
12-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Being a female bodybuilder would be soooo hard. You crazy women!

sassy69
12-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Being a female bodybuilder would be soooo hard. You crazy women!

Its certainly not for the weak of heart.

KBigz81
12-25-2009, 12:16 AM
shows how we all so different i never have anything resembling abs offseason and this last prep seeing them 6 weeks out was a miricle

My back stays lean also but it seems I'm having trouble adding thickness to my lats in the offseason.

tammyp
12-25-2009, 06:27 AM
i never go to far off and i always make gains off season. this year, i up more than normal but i dont have the weight class issues any more..so i can grow and build w/o having the scale dictate me...yey! still hate the damn thing though!

Suzanne
12-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I.e. everything has a place on the schedule. Just because you stepped off stage doesn't mean its time to let loose. It is the biggest thing I regret doing in my competition experience. 18 lb of water gained in 6 days, and took me nearly a year to get my head & my metabolism back in order.

yep i have a plan from Jeremy for the first week after and then my food plan to start the Friday after the show

He's lets me know cardio amount
I ALWAYS go back to gym that week to lift and cardio

He also give me a weight we want to stay around off season and he believes in lean bulking and i put on alot between 2007 and 209 so at least for me lean bulking works well and by lena i don't mean close to show weight i mean under 15-16%

sassy69
12-25-2009, 01:12 PM
My back stays lean also but it seems I'm having trouble adding thickness to my lats in the offseason.

If that applies to lower back too, I am incredibly jealous!

BadassRoxx
12-25-2009, 09:00 PM
If that applies to lower back too, I am incredibly jealous!
Yeah, the reason I decided that this was the best course of action 4 me 2 take was that they are trouble areas that take longer 4 me 2 get in condition than others. My LOWER back being 1 of them FOLLOWED very closely by my LEGS. IN fact it's a foot race 2 the finish line 2 c who will come in last...LOL
But, in ans 2 a previous response yeah, I am taking n2 account water gain & YES, I monitor that in my off season as well. The thing most people don't know is that's 1 of the main reasons I(& I stress the I) cheat during my pre-contest is so my body doesn't overreact 2 the introduction of "normal" food back n2 my diet. So, rebounding doesn't have the same affect on me as would some1 else who was SUPER strict.
I also believe that's part & parcel 1 of the main reasons ppl over indulge after a show. The rigidity they impose on themselves is off the chart there4 the magnitude of the rebound is redoubled giving the same human being a 10-20 wt gain of water in as little as 24-48hrs.

JuanDiesel
12-25-2009, 09:48 PM
aug she weighed 135 now in December she weighs 142.... gonna see if i can get some ab shot you gals will be impressed

BadassRoxx
12-25-2009, 10:23 PM
aug she weighed 135 now in December she weighs 142.... gonna see if i can get some ab shot you gals will be impressed
Still holding some water in my back, BUT, it's whole lot sharper than it was last year this time when I weighed 150lbs & my lower back was virtually non existent. :yep:

KBigz81
12-25-2009, 11:08 PM
OMG your waist is soo small!

2hot4u
12-26-2009, 08:59 AM
my big question is how do you diet to stay this lean but big size for next year?? I saw your ratio's of prot/carb/fat and think that is awesome you can put on that much size and stay within 10 pounds from show weight!! is that including water too?? wow i am totally jealous. lol

i never recognize you with so many hair styles lol you keep up on our toes!!

JuanDiesel
12-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Roxanne eats pizza, McDonald everyday but in moderation she know how to eat and stop at the right time she has a sick metabolism..

BadassRoxx
12-26-2009, 09:41 AM
my big question is how do you diet to stay this lean but big size for next year?? I saw your ratio's of prot/carb/fat and think that is awesome you can put on that much size and stay within 10 pounds from show weight!! is that including water too?? wow i am totally jealous. lol

i never recognize you with so many hair styles lol you keep up on our toes!!
Ans. I don't diet at all...sorry. Remember, this is 1 of those few times when having a very fast metabolism pays off in huge dividends. If I ate clean during this period I would totally wind up shredded & or mal-nourished. Under normal circumstances my type of metabolism is a hindrance 2 muscle growth, but bc I utilize the nutritional standards set by the non lifting community. I get the correct amount of calories, I just have 2 make sure the PROTEIN intake is at it's highest via the type of food we're talking about. So, I'll ask 4 double portions of meat or chicken 2 be added 2 my Dominoes, or xtra meat added 2 my Burrito bowl from Chiplote.
& let's not 4get the all important xtra part of the equation my training is volume training, U might as well say I'm damn near doing cardio at least 2x a wk depending on the body part, which almost always is LEGS. So my caloric expenditure more than meets the requirement 4 my type of eating.
As 4 the hair, life would be boring if I were always PREDICTABLE. LOL

barbellbarbie
12-26-2009, 09:41 AM
OH WOW.. she has some killer abs!

BadassRoxx
12-26-2009, 09:45 AM
OMG your waist is soo small!
Ha, ha, ha... what would my day, month , or year be like w/o Pull Overs or Straight Arm Pull downs? ANS: A very str8 up & down body...just maximizing an ILLUSION, LOL! :yep:

BadassRoxx
12-26-2009, 09:47 AM
OH WOW.. she has some killer abs!
Thanks, wait til U see 'em nxt year!

barbellbarbie
12-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks, wait til U see 'em nxt year!
trying to make me cry huh hehe if i even THOUGHT about eating mcdonalds i would gain 5 lbs lol

BadassRoxx
12-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Roxanne eats pizza, McDonald everyday but in moderation she know how to eat and stop at the right time she has a sick metabolism..
Thanks Juan 4 posting my pics...I appreciate it!

BadassRoxx
12-27-2009, 07:08 PM
trying to make me cry huh hehe if i even THOUGHT about eating mcdonalds i would gain 5 lbs lol
Yeah, BUT I bet U can gain muscle really fast, couldn't U? So Ur metabolism has it's up side 2.

GirlyMuscle
12-27-2009, 07:09 PM

Sheet! I think I just quit bodybuilding.

j/k

BadassRoxx
12-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Sheet! I think I just quit bodybuilding.
LOL, I hope not. I NEED the INSPIRATION & ppl 2 chase!

GirlyMuscle
12-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Honey, I'm so far behind you I don't have a pray in hell of chasing you. No worries!

Sledge
12-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Just a slightly off topic question.

Is it healthy for a woman to stay at such low body fat? (for a woman)

tight booty
12-28-2009, 09:30 AM

I've got a friend who is staying at the same bodyfat level she competed at and her periods have stopped completely!

GirlyMuscle
12-28-2009, 09:32 AM
But what level TB? Roxanne has to be under 8%.

~gymdiva~
12-28-2009, 11:30 AM

most of that will depend on the woman and what her personal goals are...if she's looking to start a family then keeping the BF% low year round won't work in her favor...but if she's looking to just stay healthy then sure, it'd be ok...it's more in how you're keeping it off than how much you're keeping off for most...

Tami Bellon
12-28-2009, 12:18 PM
What about joint pain? I noticed that when my bodyfat level is so low even light weights just hurt. Fluke? Or is this related?

GirlyMuscle
12-28-2009, 12:25 PM
That's normal Tami. So good question. Roxanne, do you experience joint pain?

Suzanne
12-28-2009, 01:58 PM
I am weird my joints feel great during prep all the way to show

they pop a lot towards the end but that a good sign that you are drying out

now that i am off season elbows hurt, front delt hurts, wrists hurt
i texted Jeremy joking around that i needed to start prep so i could stop hurting

Big Sky Guy
12-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Healthy to stay sub-10%....somewhat depends on the bodytype.

My wife was a mid-distance Track and Cross-country runner and had to eat to hold weight in HS and College. It was work to keep up with her calorie use and metabolism and she was sub 10% over half the year. The coaches held spagetti feeds and pancake breakfasts all the time trying to keep weight on the girls.

She lifted at least twice a week with main lifts cycled being deads, cleans, rows, squats, core, bench, shoulders and arms depending on what the coach was seeing as a weakness.

She never lost her period or had issues with joints, but she was also in her teens to early 20's which helps. Hardcore lifting certainly presents it's own problems with joints and the less BF we carry the more at risk our joints tend to be, particularly if we don't stay well hydrated.

BadassRoxx
12-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Honey, I'm so far behind you I don't have a pray in hell of chasing you. No worries!
Ah hem, Gurl, I meant I'm chasing U not the other way around...LOL Have U seen what U look like? Give me someof them LEGS!

BadassRoxx
12-29-2009, 09:02 AM
That's normal Tami. So good question. Roxanne, do you experience joint pain?
Actually, no I don't. What I think happened is that my body assimilated 2 this bodyfat level. So, once my body adapted 2 the leaness, the joints as a whole adapted as well. Also, some1 made a good point about staying hydrated, that is a HUGE part of the equation. We are 9? something % water. Part of our cushioning has 2 come fr it as well as body fat which insulates the joints, but I have 2 imagine some of the lubrication comes fr water. I drink HUGE amounts of fluids daily, which also accounts 4 why I don't worry abt water gain. I am constantly flushing out most of the water I take in. Water in/water out. BTW, ladies U guys ROCK, these are some kick ass qs!

sassy69
12-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Actually, no I don't. What I think happened is that my body assimilated 2 this bodyfat level. So, once my body adapted 2 the leaness, the joints as a whole adapted as well. Also, some1 made a good point about staying hydrated, that is a HUGE part of the equation. We are 9? something % water. Part of our cushioning has 2 come fr it as well as body fat which insulates the joints, but I have 2 imagine some of the lubrication comes fr water. I drink HUGE amounts of fluids daily, which also accounts 4 why I don't worry abt water gain. I am constantly flushing out most of the water I take in. Water in/water out. BTW, ladies U guys ROCK, these are some kick ass qs!

Rox - was there a point where you consciously switched over to keeping a lower bodyfat, or its just how your body likes to be?

I'm asking because for the first time, I'm having better luck at keeping my bodyfat lower - my body likes to operate about 10 lb heavier than I'd like to be, so I'm feeling great about keeping it lower, though I think its cost me some muscle mass over the course of the year. This is part of my longer term plans to lower my 'set point' and work on more quality muscle than more muscle.

KBigz81
12-29-2009, 01:38 PM
I always thought that when you have more bodyfat that your joints would feel better with the added fat for cushioning. But its the other way around. My joints are constantly killing me this off season. I'm actually going to do a short cut for the next few months to see if it helps. I know its terrible but Advil PM has been my friend, cuz I can't sleep because of the pain.

sassy69
12-29-2009, 03:10 PM
I always thought that when you have more bodyfat that your joints would feel better with the added fat for cushioning. But its the other way around. My joints are constantly killing me this off season. I'm actually going to do a short cut for the next few months to see if it helps. I know its terrible but Advil PM has been my friend, cuz I can't sleep because of the pain.

Fat, but also water -- when you're cutting, no water = creaky joints. Are you getting lots of good EFAs in your diet?

Suzanne
12-29-2009, 03:24 PM

Fat, but also water -- when you're cutting, no water = creaky joints. Are you getting lots of good EFAs in your diet?

my joints are killing me off season and get way more efa's and obviously holding more water

i am hoping i am gaining muscle and the growth is stressing tendons/ligaments and that is why or at least i can pretend that is why lol

KBigz81
12-29-2009, 03:29 PM
ya...since I don't eat fish I take 9 pills of fish oil a day and eat plenty of almonds, pb, also mix in some mac nut oil. I am lifting much heavier now so it could be from that. I took a break from the gym last week just to give my joints a break and I've also been getting deep tissue massage done on a weekly basis. He also massages my ligaments and tendons....thats painful.

Kitty Kat
12-29-2009, 03:46 PM
i believe she is going to accomplish her mission, she is a very determined individual and does not know how to fail.... she has my suport and backup
I have to agree with this..
I see ROxane throughout the entire year, and I must say, I have never seen her "out of shape".
She deft has my support as well.

sassy69
12-29-2009, 04:02 PM
ya...since I don't eat fish I take 9 pills of fish oil a day and eat plenty of almonds, pb, also mix in some mac nut oil. I am lifting much heavier now so it could be from that. I took a break from the gym last week just to give my joints a break and I've also been getting deep tissue massage done on a weekly basis. He also massages my ligaments and tendons....thats painful.

That, like ART, is a beeyotch. But its sooo good. I usually come out of my massages all bruised up in places you can't reach unless you really dig. And he does dig.

Some useful stuff is also foam rollering!

BadassRoxx
12-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Rox - was there a point where you consciously switched over to keeping a lower bodyfat, or its just how your body likes to be?

I'm asking because for the first time, I'm having better luck at keeping my bodyfat lower - my body likes to operate about 10 lb heavier than I'd like to be, so I'm feeling great about keeping it lower, though I think its cost me some muscle mass over the course of the year. This is part of my longer term plans to lower my 'set point' and work on more quality muscle than more muscle.
I didn't actually switch, my body likes 2 be in lower body fat range. On the other hand, after getting ready 2 do the Arnold Amateur this year with my start point at 150lbs, I realized that 1-I am SUPER lazy. & 2- It took entirely 2 long 4 me 2 look as hard as I should of. I didn't look as crisp as should in that show. I didn't achieve that graininess I had until the Jr.s'. some 12wks L8r. So, 4 me it's a matter of less is more. the less body fat I acquire during the off season, the more I don't have 2 STRUGGLE 2 get ready 2 compete...LOL

BadassRoxx
12-30-2009, 10:17 AM
I have to agree with this..
I see ROxane throughout the entire year, and I must say, I have never seen her "out of shape".
She deft has my support as well.
Thanx Kat, I appreciate the support.

RealLilSwole
12-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Roxanne, I hate you! HAHA! Just kidding! You look great! Your back is SICK! Congrats girl and keep up the hard work. Can't wait to see you again!

Tami Bellon
12-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Oh yeah. God point about the water. It's so easy to forget. So keeping the sodium up as well would be a good idea along with the water and EFAs? I added some turmeric and bromelain to help as well.

Tami Bellon
12-31-2009, 05:57 PM
That, like ART, is a beeyotch. But its sooo good. I usually come out of my massages all bruised up in places you can't reach unless you really dig. And he does dig.

Some useful stuff is also foam rollering!

We bought one a few weeks ago. That thing hurts! But really relieves alot of tension in my back and thighs.:yep:

pillowtalk
12-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Foam rolling, hurts so good! Damn it really breaks things up! (Poor man's ART).

Tami Bellon
01-01-2010, 03:35 PM

BadassRoxx
01-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Roxanne, I hate you! HAHA! Just kidding! You look great! Your back is SICK! Congrats girl and keep up the hard work. Can't wait to see you again!
Thanks, I appreciate the hate coming fr U, LOL. U look awesome Urslf! BTW, what shows are U doing this year. & are U going 2 shoot with Brian again?

tammyp
01-03-2010, 04:32 PM
if you dont mind this question....do you supplement off season as well as pre contest?

sweetjane57
01-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Roxanne, you were a big motivator, making my switch to BB........I have watched you at the National Level for a few years now......I'll never forget the first timne I saw you on stage. YOUR ABS WERE RIDICULOUS!