PDA

View Full Version : Beginner needing help getting started.

Juvenile
12-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Hey everyone. I'm new to all of this.

I am 16 years old, 6"3, about 175 lbs., skinny fat with long limbs.

What diet and workout regime would you recommend for me?

s2h
12-26-2009, 08:17 AM
lift ,eat,lift,eat ,lift and keep liftin heavy and bacic compound movemenets ie:bench,squat,deadlift,shoulder presses etc

barbellbarbie
12-26-2009, 08:19 AM
what are you currently lifting/eating?

Sledge
12-26-2009, 08:19 AM
Welcome to the site mate. Good to have you here. Join in and have some fun.

Ok for a start i'd recommend keep things basic and simple. Make sure you're enjoying the experience.

Number one thing you need to know before you start is what do you want to achieve from the training and diet. Build muscle/loose fat/get huge and ripped/just be healthy etc etc etc. And are their any health or physical issues that may effect your training.

The first step on this journey is setting realistic goals you want to achieve.

The second thing we need is how much time and energy can you realistically dedicate to training. ie Don't say you can train 5 days a week when you know if you think about it realistically you will only make 3 days.
Same with meals. If you are in a situation that won't allow you to eat every 3 hours then say so.

The idea when starting out is to make training and diet part of your life not to stop the life you have and replace it with a new one. :)

I'm sure plenty of people will be here shortly to give you all the help you need, as will I when i get that info from you.

And again, good to have you here

Juvenile
12-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the quick reply everyone.

Right now I am not lifting. I did a little last year but I didn't know what I was doing so I stopped. And right now, I am eating with no restrictions (but I'm not eating shit like chips, cake, coke, etc.)

My goals are pretty much everything you listed there. Primarily, I want to lose fat and get huge.

I have a bit of a bad back but it's nothing major.

I go to a boarding school, so I am very occupied most of the time. However this will be a priority for me, so I plan to work out 5 days a week (Mon - Fri, weekend off).

But I won't be able to eat every 3 hours. I'll be eating breakfast at 7:45AM or so, lunch at 12:00PM, and dinner at 6:00PM.

Not sure what you mean by not substituting my new life for my old one, but I'll think about it.

I also smoke some pot every once in a couple of months for stress and mental relief from my workload at school.

Hope this helped. And thank you once again.

Juvenile
12-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Also, I don't have a life right now (life = school). So there's no problem in making it my life. :hypno:

s2h
12-26-2009, 05:04 PM
try to sneak a protien bar in between those 3 meals, you need more food.watch youtube vids of guys/gals liftn you can get tons of good (and bad) ideas from that!!!!

GirlyMuscle
12-26-2009, 06:24 PM
A good way to start a program is the book Body For life by Bill Phillips. It's like bodybuilding for anyone. Very good place to start. It will teach you all the basics. Once you've mastered that you can move on to more advanced techniques.

What Sledge meant by not replacing your life with a body building life is this. It is true that this is a lifestyle. It's not a diet or a just a 12 week plan. If you really want to get big it will take years of steady hard work. But don't get so obsessed with it that you start to eliminate the other things in your life. Don't give up friends and family. Don't give up other hobbies or interests. A lot of people do this and it makes them very one dimensional. They start to feel alienated by the rest of the world when in reality it's their own doing. Bodybuilding can be a very healthy lifestyle but don't follow it at the expense of the rest of your life.

MusclesMarinara
12-26-2009, 06:32 PM
1. stick to the basics when lifting. (like s2h stated)

2. get your diet down, and stick to it. (depending on your EXACT goals.. losing fat and getting huge arent goals. you can gain SOME muscle while losing fat, but the diets are different for getting big and losing bodyfat)

3. dont spend money on a ton of supplements you see ronnie coleman/jay cutler endorsing. get your diet down and see how that works first. start with a protein powder, and multivitamin and take it from there.

4. dont do what the pros do, your not a pro. their workout routines are for THEM.

this is just stuff ive learned along the way i wish someone told me when i first started. good luck, and welcome.

GirlyMuscle
12-26-2009, 06:54 PM
^^ Great advice.

Juvenile
12-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Those are good ideas, GirlyMuscle & MM. The thing is, I don't have a diet organized right now because I don't know the right foods to include in it.

In the past I took MegaMen multivitamins. Is this good to start with? Normal ones or Sport type?

GirlyMuscle
12-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Good food is more important first. You need to learn the basics before you worry about what supplements to take. Supplements are just that...a supplement to a good diet. That's why I suggested the book Body For Life. It will give you all the basics to get started. It's a cheap book on amazon and I'm sure it's in libraries or used book stores.

Juvenile
12-27-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm broke. Can that info be found for free on the internet?

GirlyMuscle
12-27-2009, 12:53 AM
www.bodyforlife.com You can get the basic idea of the plan.

or maybe you can find it in a library.

MusclesMarinara
12-27-2009, 10:35 AM
There is a ton of information on this site as well as others that can help you get an idea. Figure out what you want to achieve and it will be easier for people to help you.

You need to be willing to learn and go out of your way to, noone is gonna hand feed you the information unless your paying a nutritionist.

s2h
12-27-2009, 07:02 PM
ya here at RX just search for diffferent national and ifbb pros and theres tons of videos of Dave interviewing them while they train and explain the reason for there training methods.examples like mike libertore are a good source for some really good videos.

Juvenile
12-28-2009, 09:57 PM
I had a good talk with my brother who is a bodybuilder working for his pro card. I suppose there's no need for me to cut anything down and just start bulking (I'm skinny-fat so the fat will help me lift weights). I bought MegaMan Sport multivitamins and a pack of 12 protein bars (32g of protein, 0g sugar, 8g fat each) to eat in between my meals. Nonetheless, I have to make eating real food a priority over bars. He told me that I shouldn't drink protein shakes until at least 6 months - 1 year has gone by, because it won't do anything for me right now.

juiceinator3000
12-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I had a good talk with my brother who is a bodybuilder working for his pro card. I suppose there's no need for me to cut anything down and just start bulking (I'm skinny-fat so the fat will help me lift weights). I bought MegaMan Sport multivitamins and a pack of 12 protein bars (32g of protein, 0g sugar, 8g fat each) to eat in between my meals. Nonetheless, I have to make eating real food a priority over bars. He told me that I shouldn't drink protein shakes until at least 6 months - 1 year has gone by, because it won't do anything for me right now.

going to have to disagree here. partially because the protein they use in bars is generally complete shit, partially because i think this statement is just wrong. i have never heard, in my life, that supplementing with protein in your first year of training is useless. especially considering you will be making the most gains you will ever make in this first you, my opinion is to milk it. eat like a horse and put on as much weight as you can and worry about losing the BF later on in my opinion

Juvenile
12-29-2009, 10:29 PM
My brother recommended for me the Push-Pull-Legs routine to bulk up. I found this on bb.com - please make any corrections.

MONDAY: PUSH (chest, shoulders, triceps)

Incline DB Bench Press (http://bodybuilding.fitness.com/): 3 sets 8-6 reps
Flat BB Bench Press: 3 sets 8-6 reps
Military Press: 3 sets 8-6 reps
Side Laterals: 3 sets 10-8 reps
Close Grip Bench Press: 3 sets 8-6 reps

WEDNESDAY: PULL (back, traps, biceps)

Barbell Bent-Over Row: 3 sets 8-6 reps
Deadlift: 3 sets 8-6 reps
One-Arm DB Row (on a bench): 3 sets 8-6 reps
Barbell Shrugs: 2 sets 8-7 reps
Dumbbell Shrugs: 1 set 8 reps
Barbell Curl: 3 sets 8-6 reps

FRIDAY: LEGS (quads, hams, calves)

Squats: 3 sets 8-6 reps
Leg Extensions: 3 sets 8-6 reps
Barbell Lunges: 3 sets 8-6 reps
Stiff Leg Deadlifts: 3 sets 8-6 reps
Standing BB/DB Calf Raises: 3 sets 20-18 reps

mygirlsdad
12-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Hey bro, you will never put on any size until you start eating correctly. Look up Palumbo's bulk program at the beginning of his q@a thread. It's 60-70% diet my friend.

Juvenile
12-30-2009, 12:59 AM
I know how to eat correctly now. I go to a private boarding school so I cannot be specific with my diet like Dave's is. My plan is to get at least 60g of protein in every meal from the school dining hall. Than when I'm full from meat, I'll just keep eating other foods on top of that like veggies and pasta for carbs (occasionally soups). This is what my brother recommended to me in order to put on some serious weight. That, and working out until I puke and can't move.

MusclesMarinara
12-30-2009, 01:37 PM
I know how to eat correctly now. I go to a private boarding school so I cannot be specific with my diet like Dave's is. My plan is to get at least 60g of protein in every meal from the school dining hall. Than when I'm full from meat, I'll just keep eating other foods on top of that like veggies and pasta for carbs (occasionally soups). This is what my brother recommended to me in order to put on some serious weight. That, and working out until I puke and can't move.

That isnt a great idea.

Your going to want a certain amount of carbs in your diet depending on your weight and bodyfat. GOOD FATS are very important!! Natural Peanut Butter, Nuts (almonds, cashews), Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Mac Nut Oil, etc. You shouldnt just eat until you cant eat anymore. Do what you can at your school, but dont overeat. your just going to have to diet harder in the end.

Also the comment about not drinking protein shakes until 6-12 months is just crazy in my opinion.

Juvenile
12-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Well you brought up some interesting recipes and info and I thank you for that. But I'm a growing boy and my bro said that I need to eat lots.

What's the point of having a protein shake when I can have the real deal - a post-workout meal of two tins of tuna? There's 60g of protein right there - and isn't real food better than a shake? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Are you recommending a shake because it will absorb into my tissue/digest faster? And the real food will take like 30 minutes?

Also - I purchased some creatine today. Should I just take it before my workout (once a day)?

What about my workout routine - does it make sense?

MusclesMarinara
12-31-2009, 12:00 AM
Well you brought up some interesting recipes and info and I thank you for that. But I'm a growing boy and my bro said that I need to eat lots.

What's the point of having a protein shake when I can have the real deal - a post-workout meal of two tins of tuna? There's 60g of protein right there - and isn't real food better than a shake? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Are you recommending a shake because it will absorb into my tissue/digest faster? And the real food will take like 30 minutes?

Also - I purchased some creatine today. Should I just take it before my workout (once a day)?

What about my workout routine - does it make sense?

i agree that whole food>shake. i was just saying that what your brother said about waiting i completely disagree with. i like the convenience of shakes. its fast and you get those much needed nutrients in your body RIGHT after your workout. i take my postworkout shake IMMEDIATELY after im done with my workout.

as far as eating "alot"... you can eat nonstop but your gonna put on some fat. if you dont care then thats up to you. im not saying youll become a fat ass but your gonna put on fat that your going to have to diet off later on.

you have to be patient with bodybuilding. gains will come if your patient and do things the right way.

MusclesMarinara
12-31-2009, 12:04 AM
as far as your workout routine, im not sure about how much of a beginner you are. if you are just starting, id say thats a little too complex for someone just starting. IMO, stick to basic compound movements. (like s2h said before)

bench press/squats/deadlifts/shoulder press...

honestly for awhile to get your body used to lifting, id recommend doing these four exercises 3x a week, 4 sets each and work on progressing every week. you should see some nice gains early. once you feel like your diet is solid and your into a routine, then go to something like the program you spoke about.

thats just my opinion, others will disagree im sure. but this is what i feel works best for beginners. KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!

JackedQuads
01-14-2010, 05:04 PM
1st of all, your routine looks good. Keep it simple, 3 sets per exercise and compounds.

For back I would add a set or 2 of pullups to begin with (however many you can do). Pullups = back.