PDA

View Full Version : Best way to relieve DOMs?

DaveV
03-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I just did my first serious week of training. Sore all over.

What's worked for me has been long sleeps, and hot showers. Any kind of foods or anything at all that also helps relieve the dom soreness?

GirlyMuscle
03-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I love DOMs. Just relax and enjoy it. :D

DaveV
03-04-2009, 11:21 AM
I love DOMs. Just relax and enjoy it. :D

Normally I would but my entire body is covered in them. Gotta love that first week training in 2 years.

chasebny
03-04-2009, 12:13 PM
A lacrosse ball or a length of pvc pipe. Lay on the floor with either under your body and roll it through the knots. This saved my shoulders by loosening my traps.

Frosty
03-04-2009, 11:59 PM
A lacrosse ball or a length of pvc pipe. Lay on the floor with either under your body and roll it through the knots. This saved my shoulders by loosening my traps.

Wow PVC pipe would be very painful by itself, but when you have DOMS.....that's insane.

Too late for much now. Just keep moving and hot showers and such just help a bit.

BK
03-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Stretching, and light recovery work on the muscle trained to get some fresh blood into the muscle. This helps to get rid of excess lactic acid accumulations. Epsom salt baths help too.

hulkish808
03-05-2009, 01:13 AM
take a cold shower for a few min. then a warm/hot shower after that...do it back to back. should help with recovery.

chasebny
03-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Wow PVC pipe would be very painful by itself, but when you have DOMS.....that's insane.

Too late for much now. Just keep moving and hot showers and such just help a bit.
It is but it works. Its the first time ive really gasped from pain (when doing quads). Wrap a towel around if its too intense.

tight booty
03-05-2009, 03:11 AM
I just did my first serious week of training. Sore all over.

What's worked for me has been long sleeps, and hot showers. Any kind of foods or anything at all that also helps relieve the dom soreness?
Creatine aids in a faster recovery. I also like to do some regular brisk walking to pump blood around the body...I feel that this helps with the DOMS. Make sure you are getting enough protein as well.

MRT
03-05-2009, 03:21 AM
Take a bath with espson salts magnesium sulphate it works verry verry well!!!!

GirlyMuscle
03-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Sorenzyme by Gaspari BEFORE you work out. Relieves DOMS from setting in so badly. I use it on heavy leg days.

Frosty
03-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Proactive approaches....I find high doses of BCAAs in a 4:1:1 ratio of leucine, isoleucine, valine....20-40g works taken around workout time. Vitamin C pre-workout at a gram or sometimes more I find also works, but I am a little concerned about using vitamin C. I read a study on vitamin C reducing adaptation to aerobic exercise....I know that isn't weight lifting but still I personally wouldn't use this all the time now. Maybe before a new workout that you know will trash you.

DaveV
03-05-2009, 12:24 PM
All my doms are gone now except for my legs but I trained them 2 days ago so it's a given they will still be sore. Next time I'm gonna stretch more. I was stretching before and inbetween sets but I'll stretch after workout completion next time.

SizZ
03-11-2009, 12:59 AM
plenty of protein, plenty of rest, and something to get your blood flowing( brisk walk, cardio, minimal light work on sore muscles to improve blood circulation)

kraken
03-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Stretching, and light recovery work on the muscle trained to get some fresh blood into the muscle. This helps to get rid of excess lactic acid accumulations. Epsom salt baths help too.
Except for the Epsom salt-never tried it- this works very well.

Rattbones
03-12-2009, 07:21 AM
All my doms are gone now except for my legs but I trained them 2 days ago so it's a given they will still be sore. Next time I'm gonna stretch more. I was stretching before and inbetween sets but I'll stretch after workout completion next time.

Stretching right after your done with the excises, 15-30 sec without bouncing. Supps help if your diet is on, but if it's real bad you can use something like Ibunex

http://www.coreproducts.com/core_labs/sample_request.asp

Wheels
03-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Lots of sex ;)

Mr. Hyde
03-13-2009, 09:44 PM
I always felt 10-15min of low intensity cardio helps. My legs use to get crazy sore but ever since i added a little cardio they dont get as sore anymore.

Foreskin
03-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Whenever I'm sore from the previous workout I usually do a few sets either at the beginning or the end of the next workout for that bodypart that hurts. Nothing heavy just a few light sets with higher reps and a pause in the stretch position. Usually helps a bit

Youngguns
03-17-2009, 01:10 AM
That's not right. The blood simply brings more nutrients.

Stretching with do nothing for soreness.

plenty of protein, plenty of rest, and something to get your blood flowing( brisk walk, cardio, minimal light work on sore muscles to improve blood circulation)
Yes

Whenever I'm sore from the previous workout I usually do a few sets either at the beginning or the end of the next workout for that bodypart that hurts. Nothing heavy just a few light sets with higher reps and a pause in the stretch position. Usually helps a bit
yes

Sugargirl
03-17-2009, 10:36 AM
I've tried taking in Purple Wraath from controlled labs. It doesn't get rid of DOMS but it lessens it and shortens duration.. Only problem for me is it makes me crazy thirsty! its an AA supplement

DaveV
03-17-2009, 10:41 AM
I did 30 minutes stationary bike today and it relieved them a lot. So that's what I'll do for legs. For my back I usually lay on the floor. Arms, shoulders the doms don't bother me.

GirlyMuscle
03-17-2009, 10:43 AM
I always have something sore at any given time. Right now it's delts. Today is quad day so Wed and Thurs will find me limping and walking slowly.