PDA

View Full Version : Hitting the genetic wall; a Redo

esplendido
02-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Allow me the luxury of reposting something I wrote in the MD Masters Forum.....

I'm an ectomorph. I have long, thin limbs, long, skinny feet, and long fingers. I hit 6'-4" in the 8th grade and couldn't get above 200 lbs until I was 19. I couldn't get above 215 until I was 25.

Making muscular gains has been work for me. In other threads, I've explained how, even with 20+" arms, my physique looks stringy. So when I say that, after 30+ years of on and off training, I'm beginning to run up against my genetic potential, you'll understand.

What does that mean....running up against one's genetic potential? This is a phenom that goes beyond overtraining. Most of you understand the signs of overtraining....lethargy, lack of gains, sudden injuries. A short rest, a change in routine, tweaking the diet usually blasts through those sticking points.

Running into your genetic end zone, however, has surreal manifestations. It happens after years of gains, each coming in smaller increments until none can be made under the protocols of the past. The body begins to rebel against pushing the limits. It's the burn out of burn outs. There's a mind/body connection that lets you know......THIS, and no more!

Every tendon, every joint, every muscle in your body rebels. You get out of bed like your 90. Everything is stiff and remains stiff throughout the day. You feel as though you've been run over by a truck. Warmups feel heavy, and even though you can still lift your max on every exercise, it doesn't "feel" the same.

All the time, your muscles are full....fuller than they've ever been. Hell, I can't even wash my face because I can't reach it due to the fullness in my biceps and forearms. It's a struggle to wipe my ass. There is a disparity between how you look and how you feel!

I started a growth cycle of growth hormone to push past this barrier and I can tell you that as you do, it has the same affect as pushing through the sound barrier. There's a shock to the system as you pass through, where your energy shoots up, the stiffness disappears, your appetite goes through the roof. You begin to take on a cartoonish look because of the new size. The pain does NOT go away, but your stength goes up in spite of it. I'm surprised about the pain issue. Maybe this is why so many top level BBers have been addicted to Nubain and other pain killers.

It has a creepy factor to it. I look at myself, having gotten used to a certain physique for years, and someone else is standing in the mirror. I'm attaining the muscularity I've always dreamed of.....the kind that makes ME look big.....real big. But it feels strange....having this new look, as though I've become someone else beyond my body.

The body knows.......it knows when it has traveled past its God-given form. And it tells the mind about it. It's a very strange trip!

NightWanderer
02-12-2009, 09:10 PM
I like this post, makes me not mind waiting to use GH because I know the longer I put it off, the more likely I'll be of actually deserving to use it.

F.M.
02-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Very cool post, esplendido! I hope someday to look in the mirror and see someone else standing there...someone I can admire and be proud of. And I hope I can come to know the limits of my genetics (or at least as far as I can go with my currently broken structure). Thanks for sharing.

esplendido
02-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Very cool post, esplendido! I hope someday to look in the mirror and see someone else standing there...someone I can admire and be proud of. And I hope I can come to know the limits of my genetics (or at least as far as I can go with my currently broken structure). Thanks for sharing.
FM.....keeping at it and pushing your limits (limitations) is how you get there. Tell me about your training, i.e. how long, how old you are, type of training, supplementation, etc.

F.M.
02-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Hey esplendido. I turned 41 last month. I trained in high school and for a bit just after, but I had no idea what I was doing. I started seriously training a bit over four years ago and have worked up from 2 days per week to 5 days per week lifting weights and cardio. I worked with a competitive bodybuilding trainer and nutritionist for about 2 years, which was a great educational experience. Regarding my current training, I'll try not to bore you with too many details, but since you asked...

Weights - 12 to 16 sets @ 8 to 15 reps per set (so more 'high volume' than 'HIT'), completed in about 50 min, followed by 10 minutes stretching, then 30 min. low-intensity cardio. So, 1.5 hours in the a.m. due to my schedule.

Diet - I finally found a diet and weight combo that allows me to comfortably lose about 2 lbs per week. I do occasionally take a break for both physical and psycological reasons. Mon - Fri, each day I consume 1680 cal (307g P / 67g C / 23g F). The meals are chicken breast, fish, lean pork, and whey & casein shakes; long grain brown rice; fats from the meats and shakes. If I go any higher in carbs, I get blood sugar spikes followed by nasty drops and fat loss stalls. If I go any lower, I get exercised-induced hypoglycemic symptoms and fat loss stalls. On the weekends I bump up the carbs and drop the protein a little to 'refuel' - about 2200 cal each day.

Supps - White Flood pre-workout, Xtend during workout, hawthorn berry (for blood pressure), NOW Flex Mobility (joint support), chromium picolinate (this does help my blood sugar swings), and extra fibre. I've pared my supps way down for various reasons (mostly due to 'waste of money'). Creatine seems to upset my stomach and lower doses don't seem to help with energy or gains.

So, that's basically my weight-loss approach. It's worked really well for me for many months now. What I like most is I have enough energy for good workouts, and though I'm hungry most of the time, I'm not ravenous or feel like crap. That's about it...

GREENMACHINE23
02-16-2009, 06:29 PM
I am 30 years old. When did you notice that you hit the genetic wall?
I did my first show last year with plans to keep competing next year.

esplendido
02-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Give me until this evening to reply. I'm away from my computer and answering from my iPhone right now.

GREENMACHINE23
02-16-2009, 06:48 PM
O.K. Thank you.

esplendido
02-16-2009, 08:13 PM
F.M.,

Tell me why you're dieting. Are you getting ready for a show or just wanting to get lean. What are your goals in bodybuilding.

Your cals are very low and your fats are too low. I'm surprised you're only losing 2 lbs/wk. How tall are you and how much do you currently weigh?

esplendido
02-16-2009, 08:21 PM
I am 30 years old. When did you notice that you hit the genetic wall?
I did my first show last year with plans to keep competing next year.
GM, it's not about age. It's about training history. How long have you trained and for what?

Your genetic limits are unique to you. It comes when, after years of quality training and diet, and even with AAS use, you cannot push your body into new territory. Instead, you stay achey, stiff, and tired from pushing without gains. Time off, training rotation, diet adjustments don't work.....you're hitting the wall and your mind tells you so.

I wouldn't dare predict when that happens, either in time or effort. You'll know....and you'll know from years of being in tune with your body.

F.M.
02-18-2009, 08:12 AM
F.M.,

Tell me why you're dieting. Are you getting ready for a show or just wanting to get lean. What are your goals in bodybuilding.

Your cals are very low and your fats are too low. I'm surprised you're only losing 2 lbs/wk. How tall are you and how much do you currently weigh?
Just dieting to get lean, right now, and my last scale weight was 226 lbs. I actually did rough calculations to determine a 2 lbs/week loss, knowing that some of it could be muscle. One thing I've learned, try as I might, if I concentrate on losing fat and gaining or even keeping muscle, I stall rather quickly. So, I finally decided I am going to lose fat and get down to a healthy/desired weight. Then, I'm going to learn how to maintain that weight (like most others, I've yo-yo'd up and down a few times). Then, after I've had a chance for my body to adjust to a new "set point", I'll starting adding mass.

I've spent the last four years experimenting and tweaking, and my current diet and exercise routine is really doing the trick! I definitely appreciate your curiosity and will certainly consider any advice. :cool:

gman
02-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Take it from someone who is about your size and has tried the low cal way: you should eat more and do more cardio.

thepump
03-19-2009, 05:36 PM
great info

thepump
03-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Just dieting to get lean, right now, and my last scale weight was 226 lbs. I actually did rough calculations to determine a 2 lbs/week loss, knowing that some of it could be muscle. One thing I've learned, try as I might, if I concentrate on losing fat and gaining or even keeping muscle, I stall rather quickly. So, I finally decided I am going to lose fat and get down to a healthy/desired weight. Then, I'm going to learn how to maintain that weight (like most others, I've yo-yo'd up and down a few times). Then, after I've had a chance for my body to adjust to a new "set point", I'll starting adding mass.

I've spent the last four years experimenting and tweaking, and my current diet and exercise routine is really doing the trick! I definitely appreciate your curiosity and will certainly consider any advice. :cool:

Keep the info coming. very helpful