PDA

View Full Version : Working out late at night....PWO/Meal?

billyjr
12-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Hey guys, I just returned from forearm tendinitis and my time at the gym has changed because I started a new job.

Currently, my available time to go to the gym is at 9-10PM, and I am trying to go to sleep by 1230-1sh the latest. I have some questions, wondering if anyone could help?

1.I usually eat dinner late, so that would be around 8:00PM. So if I eat a full meal around that time, is going to the gym at 9:00-9:30pm too early? Or should I give my stomach more time to digest....also should I take anything pre-workout besides that dinner meal?

2. What type of products should I use post-workout that will not keep me up all night? PWO and also before bed?

3. I usually wake up and take a probiotic supplement to help me battle my IBS first thing in the morning and I am suppose to wait about 30 minutes before I eat anything. Usually this is on my commute to work, so as I arrive to work, I would like to drink a shake when I get there, what should be in that shake?

Thanks alot.

jaykay
12-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Hey guys, I just returned from forearm tendinitis and my time at the gym has changed because I started a new job.

Currently, my available time to go to the gym is at 9-10PM, and I am trying to go to sleep by 1230-1sh the latest. I have some questions, wondering if anyone could help?

1.I usually eat dinner late, so that would be around 8:00PM. So if I eat a full meal around that time, is going to the gym at 9:00-9:30pm too early? Or should I give my stomach more time to digest....also should I take anything pre-workout besides that dinner meal?

2. What type of products should I use post-workout that will not keep me up all night? PWO and also before bed?

3. I usually wake up and take a probiotic supplement to help me battle my IBS first thing in the morning and I am suppose to wait about 30 minutes before I eat anything. Usually this is on my commute to work, so as I arrive to work, I would like to drink a shake when I get there, what should be in that shake?

Thanks alot.

I'm no expert, but from personal experience over the last few years:

1) I think eating at 8pm and going to work out at 8 45-9pm is fine. 45 minutes to an hour should be a nice amount of time for your stomach to do its job and begin digesting foods. Personally I have found that if I eat at a certain time, go to the gym 30 minutes later and stretch/warm up for another 10-15 minutes is enough for my stomach and I don't feel tired/sluggish. About taking anything pre-workout, I think this depends solely on you and how your body responds to certain supps/products. Some people respond well to stimulants(taurine, caffeine etc) and can't train/live without them, some people respond horribly to them and feel jittery and their sleep is affected badly while there's people who just don't respond to stimulants at all(A good friend of mine drinks a cup of coffee every night before sleep as he says it calms him down. I would go insane if I would do that.) If you're like me and you don't do well on caffeine and you like your sleep then I would not recommend anything pre-workout, especially at that time.

2)I think a good whey protein isolate supplement would help you post-workout and throughout the day. It's pretty much the simplest, best supplement you can take and it should not have any detrimental effects on your sleep. You can take a whey isolate shake right after your workout at like 10-10 30 and then eat a whole food meal before bed.

3)I'm not too familiar with IBS and whether there are any specific food restrictions in your case, but if I were you I would make myself a shake with a scoop or two of whey protein isolates, some oats, some healthy fats like all natural peanut butter/flaxseed oil/macademia nut oil and possibly some fruit in there as well. It would be a good alternative for a first meal.

Hope that helps.

GirlyMuscle
12-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Timing of your dinner and work out are fine. 45-60 min after eating. As far as postworkout do what you would do if you trained earlier. Your body's going to suck up the nutrition.

s2h
12-28-2009, 12:46 AM
sounds good i would take 30mg of waxy maze/50mg whey isolste post workout(as long as that goes ok w/ your ibs i'm not sure on that one)as far as pre workout i would never get to sleep by 1 if i took a pre work drink,if you have to have something maybe a 1/2 cafenie tab or 1/2 cup of coffee somethn low dose.

JRob
12-29-2009, 01:26 AM
Timing of your dinner and work out are fine. 45-60 min after eating. As far as postworkout do what you would do if you trained earlier. Your body's going to suck up the nutrition.

this...

redline777
12-29-2009, 03:31 AM
i think eating a whole food meal post training at night while also trying to get to sleep is near impossible. if i trained late at night , when i get home all i want is to shower ,drink a shake and hit the sack. eating food will screw your ability to sleep. so try this.
after u finish, drink a high calorie shake, before bed, drink another high calorie shake. that way, but make sure u eat all ur wholefoods before training comes.

bbdude1988
01-16-2010, 12:18 AM

Thanks alot.

1. An hour should be enough time

2. Anything you take post workout shouldn't keep you up... Were you planning on taking stimulents post workout??? Stick to protein and carbs in addition to creatine and such. Before bed, just eat food

3. If it has to be a shake rather than real food, then put some casein protein in there along with some oats, banana, maybe peanut butter, and then mix it with milk. The contents of this shake really depend on your goals

barbellbarbie
01-16-2010, 12:20 AM
i lift at night also. i either have 8 egg whites with 1 oz almonds or 1scoop true protein isolate with 1 scoop ON creamy vanilla casein

bodyhard
01-17-2010, 11:46 AM
I have been training in the night for the last 10 years. I eat dinner at 8-9 and hit the gym at 10:00. I take my PWO shake immediately after I finish training, I get home, maybe eat something small, take a shower and then go to sleep.

TigerUpperCut
01-20-2010, 05:16 PM
i workout at 8:30pm and come home and eat a big meal like i would if i lifted earlier in the day