PDA

View Full Version : NPC Continental

GirlyMuscle
12-28-2009, 07:22 AM
I've heard rumor that it's been taken away from promoters Rob and Darlene Mayo. Anyone know anything about it?

I was seriously considering this show.

Team Baze
12-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Yes, but it really was Jeff and Ann Johnson's show and they co-promoted it with Rob and Darlene. It is being moved to Ottawa, IL along with the Mid-Illinois. The Mid-Illinois is in April and the Continental will probably be in Sept.

GirlyMuscle
12-28-2009, 10:45 AM
So who is promoting it and where and when will it be held? I heard Jeff and Ann Johnson were mentoring Rob and Darlene so they could get it started. Next thing I hear Rob and Darlene were booted to the curb.

GirlyMuscle
12-28-2009, 12:44 PM
This is what I heard. Not reveiling sources...

"Exile of Rob & Darleen Mayo: In an efforts to silence their critics 'the powers that be' stripped...STRIPPED the progressive thinking mavericks Rob & Darleen Mayo the proprietorship of the NPC USA Continental. Heralded as the greatest show under their eye from 2006-2008 the NPC USA Continental is now in the hands of another promoter and moved to another location. The Mayo's not only lost their place at the table but their place in the cafeteria of the National Physique Committe. Accept or Believe no other explanation except for stagnation, jealousy and lies for this dick move. Rob & Darlene Mayo. Praise Be Thy Names. LOW!" ( this was his opinion and my understanding of what happened. But also along with what other competitors were saying)

now i did the Continental and it was the smoothest runnning competition that i have done. my first experience was at the Illinois State, which was all over the place. Anyway, apparently the other local promoters were getting "jealous" of how well the show was ran. I think it came down to who is going to have the best shows in Chicago, well the Mayo's won hands down! Everyone was talking shit about all of the other shows and how they were ran so poorly. Mind you the only other two shows that really anyone competes in is the "illinois state" in May and the "iron man" in the winter. both ran by Ronnie Altieri. So! Thats the end of a great show, that would have been even bigger than this past one. its so sad. "

I had considered doing this show. Guess not now. I lived in the Illinois area for two years and was involved in the videography end of it. I saw how the shows are run. Each show has a promoter(s). Each show has judges. The judges for the shows are the promoters of the other shows in IL...along with the NPC committee leader IFBB Pro Chuck Sanow. It's all very incestous. So I can imagine if Rob and Darlene pissed people off they could be black balled. Guess I will be too since I'm reporting this.

I will say one thing. There is a promoter in that area who is truly all for the competitors and that's Kevin Noble. He puts on two shows a year..one in May and one in November. Kevin does it for the love of the sport and for the competitors. He's a great guy. www.kevinnoble.com

If anyone has any other info about the Continental please post it.

Team Baze
12-28-2009, 03:07 PM
It is going to be held at Ottawa High School in Ottawa, IL. I agree Illinois has a long time team that has worked together. I think they do what's best for the sport. Some shows are more well run than others. I think the Mid-Illinois is a very smoothly run show.

I did work back stage helping expedite at the Continental this year and it did run smooth.

Nationals this year in Florida was sick fast! It was very organized.

Very interesting reading by the way...

Suzanne
03-03-2010, 11:16 AM
The Mayos are going to promote a show under the NABBA federation - National Amateur BodyBuilders Association

NABBA - USA Continental Bodybuilding Championship

Date: Saturday, September 4, 2010
Time: 9:00am - 11:55pm

jacshelb
03-03-2010, 01:39 PM
The Mayos seemed to me to be great people. They are both bodybuilders and love the sport. The Continental I competed in in 2008 was huge, 140+ competitors is a lot for an "entry level" (just meaning anyone could compete) regional show. The quality of competition was also outstanding. It was almost like a mini-jr. nats or something- in that there were some national level competitors and a large number of competitors. Also, it was very well run, especially for its size.