PDA

View Full Version : low iron

pete997
03-04-2009, 02:19 PM
before i ask the question, i know that getting a blood test is the best way to determine low iron levels... which i plan on getting eventually.

(needles :eek: )

anyway, what are some legit/surefire symptoms of low iron levels?

also, are there any products that may help increase iron levels? i've been reading about various iron-chelate products, and am wondering if anyone here has any experience or knowledge about such supplementation.

thanks in advance!

Suzy Brown
03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
http://www.irondeficiency.org/

You can get some tabs at CVS for less than $10.

Lee Penman
03-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Fatigue, low stamina, weakness can be the easiest symptoms to detect. Try taking something like Chlorella (Jarrow have the best). It is a natural iron source with lots of other health benefits. Plus, it won't lead to iron overdose like OTC products can

pete997
03-04-2009, 11:51 PM
great! thanks guys... i'll look into both of your suggestions.

Frosty
03-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Organic beef liver. Great bioavailable source of iron. Might help to take some vitamin C with it.

BadAssBarbie
03-08-2009, 01:34 PM
I was gonna say the same thing as Frosty. I tend to be iron-deficient, and I get so run down and tired that I just don't even want to get out of bed. My doc said to eat plenty of red meat, leafy greens, and vit C...it all helps the iron absorb better. Also, look for an iron supplement that is non-constipating. Trust me, that part is not fun!

pete997
03-17-2009, 02:17 PM
thanks for your inputs frosty and barbie! that's exactly how i feel barbie... that's why i'm thinking i may also be deficient...

i understand that there is a difference between heme (meat) and non-heme (non-meat) iron sources, and that heme iron is absorbed much better. the red meat idea is a good one, but i cannot keep up with it for whatever reason.

do you guys cycle your iron intake, regardless of the source, or is this something that would have to be kept up on a weekly basis?

Suzy Brown
03-17-2009, 02:23 PM
I thought I'd have to cycle it... it CAN build up in the liver and I was noticing a change in my poops. However after the 2 weeks I was trying to 'load' all those problems went away and I felt energetic, normal and healthy, so I decided to stick with the same dose, 60mgs a day. (poo is still green-black but otherwise normal)

Doubt Pete will care much but this month I had ZERO pms symptoms too. NOT ONE. This is the first month I've supplemented at all, ever, so I have to attribute that to something, and since blood & iron are so closely related...

Suzy Brown
03-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Adding -- I almost never eat red meat, don't care for the texture, but have some greens every single day.

pete997
03-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Doubt Pete will care much but this month I had ZERO pms symptoms too. NOT ONE. This is the first month I've supplemented at all, ever, so I have to attribute that to something, and since blood & iron are so closely related...

haha! that's a good month :p

pete997
03-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Adding -- I almost never eat red meat, don't care for the texture, but have some greens every single day.

um... try a peppercorn crusted filet in a merlot sauce with sauteed mushrooms... medium well, with a sweet potato on the side. o... m... g... unfortunately i'm dieting, so it's my once a week cheat meal.