PDA

View Full Version : Effects of Box Squats on Lumbar & spine?

ob205
12-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Can someone tell me if there are negative effects from box squatting with 60% of 1rm on the vertebrae. Thank you

Big Baby
01-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Can someone tell me if there are negative effects from box squatting with 60% of 1rm on the vertebrae. Thank you

No.

Ryan Bracewell
01-26-2010, 12:30 AM

Im not great at finding studies, but searched pubmed and there was nothing on there. I would be surprised if there is a study on box squat, and even if there is a study there is no guarantee that they performed the box squats properly. And even if they did, there is no guarantee that you would perform them properly either.

When done properly most would say box squats are very safe, if not even easier on your body than free squats, but when done wrong they can be very dangerous.

Colossal
01-26-2010, 12:50 PM

I would say if done properly, no.

If anything they may be safer than free squats. As long as you come down on the box easy you're ok.

Heretic74
02-01-2010, 02:15 AM
Box squats are the best for building a stronger squat and overall form . If you need further reading on the proper form and studies on box squatting go google Louie Simmons a complete guru on strength training and box squatting .

ob205
02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I wasn't questioning the validity or proper implementation of the box squat, I was wondering if someone like TPT or an orthopedic could detail the effects of the movement on the spine and lumbar. I have seen several WestSide videos and it does not seem like it is a light touch and go, they sit back on the box and this would shift the load. Again, I am not questioning the effectiveness, but the back safety.

TPT
02-10-2010, 06:05 PM

I wasn't questioning the validity or proper implementation of the box squat, I was wondering if someone like TPT or an orthopedic could detail the effects of the movement on the spine and lumbar. I have seen several WestSide videos and it does not seem like it is a light touch and go, they sit back on the box and this would shift the load. Again, I am not questioning the effectiveness, but the back safety.

you should be concerned. more specifically if you have history of back or spinal pathology. using 60% rm is relatively light. but, that doesnt mean box squats could be unsafe. you would have to manage other parameters including volume and intensity.

ill explain further of some concerns and let people decide whether box squats are safe or unsafe.

during box squats, you briefly sit on a box. remember the large load towards the ground causing torsional, shear, and compressive forces to your spine. your neuromuscular system adapts to the large load including activating muscles with passive structures such as ligaments. the muscles stressed are not only those of the back or spine. obviously, the muscles of the legs are stressed as well.

now once you descend and sit down for however brief, what muscles are activated or stressed? and what happens to the load?

well, the load doesnt change. but, the muscles stressed certainly change. once you sit the muscles of the lower limbs greatly reduce in activation and the muscles of the trunk/back increase in activation.

imagine the forces involved with the spine as your legs 'give out.' then to ascend your legs have to quickly activate to compensate for the large loads on your back. at this moment is when a sudden increase in spinal forces occur.

these are reasons for why box squats may be of concern.

ob205
02-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Great answer, Thanks.

TPT
02-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Great answer, Thanks.

no problem.

great question and at times controversial.