PDA

View Full Version : Rotator Cuff Repair therapy

knine110
02-09-2009, 08:48 AM
I just had a full Rotator Cuff Repair and I am already showing signs of atrophy in my arm, Lat and shoulder (of course). I was wondering if I did moderate training on my "good half" would it positively or negatively affect my progress in recovery. Is there anything that I need to be wary of. I start my physical therapy today but any other advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Especially things that I need to do here at the house while I am off.

DBowden
02-09-2009, 09:00 AM
I would think that you would want to just do maintenance training on your "good half", while you were rehabing your injured 'bad half'.

knine110
02-09-2009, 09:20 AM
I would think that you would want to just do maintenance training on your "good half", while you were rehabing your injured 'bad half'.

Thats what I was thinking but I dont want to come out mis-shapen. Hammer strength machines make it very possible to train one half of everything, lol.

Metroflexplano
02-09-2009, 05:44 PM
That's what branch did when he tore his tricep and it worked pretty well for him. He said there was significantly less atrophy on his injured side because he was training his healthy side

knine110
02-09-2009, 05:55 PM
thats what I needed to hear!!!

orhochris
02-12-2009, 12:02 PM
yup, studies show that your body wants to maintain a natural balance or homeostasis. this was in MD back a couple years ago in the training section in the beginning of the mag with all the cartoon dudes I think. but if you continue to train the healthy side, the body won't allow the untrained side to atrophy as much becasue it wants to maintain a balance between the two.

I just had shouldersurgery two weeks ago and haven't been in the gym since october due to injury... but I'm just too lazy and cheap to go for one side... but I would recommend that you do

BigJD69
02-12-2009, 01:00 PM
What does your Doc say??? IMO I would take the time to heal up! Muscle has memory and you will come back even stronger from resting your whole body!!!