PDA

View Full Version : Feeling blue and depressed & just not myself

txbbchck
01-01-2010, 06:03 PM
I am a 53 year old competitive female bb. My last show was 2007. I'm 5'3, approx 137lbs.

I have been on prempro since last year due to exhaustion, low estrogen, low test, depression, mood swings and just not feeling like myself. Had bloodwork done through my OB-GYN. My estrogen was low, free test low, FSH was slightly elevated and estradiol in the menopausal range. I started on a high dose of prempro for approx 6 months but since I was feeling great my dr and I decided to decrease the dose to 0.3mg-1.5mg. I felt good for many months on the lower dose. Plus I'm really not crazy about taking HRT.

Up until last month, I was still having a period. It was regular. Last month(dec2009) up until today, I still have not had my period. For the past 4 or 5 days, I've been VERY blue, down and just don't feel like myself.

I also take 100mg primo a week. I take levothyroxin 50mcg with the prempro.

I do cardio almost every day 40mins, eat clean, drink 1 gallon of water,take my supps and lift 5 days a week. So I went to the gym and knocked out a hard 40 mins of cardio this morning thinking that I would feel less down and less moody but it did nothing. Usually, if i'm down or upset or just need to think, cardio does the trick.

I really don't want to go back to the higher dose of prempro but not sure what else to try to elevate my mood. And I don't know why all of a sudden I feel like I do. Is it because I didn't have a period last month?...maybe this is the start of the 'year' before I'm completely menopausal?

I also take 10iu of HGH daily.

I have some phosphatidyl serine and 5-HTP but have tried both in the past (around the end of comp training) and neither did much for me.

My husband thinks I ought to take a shot of prop but I really don't want to put anything else in my body esp testosterone.

Any help or info or suggestions you could provide would be so appreciated. I hate feeling like this and I know that something is not right.

Thanks so much!

s2h
01-01-2010, 06:09 PM
she takes 1iu of hgh a day not 10 i know this caus i'm her husband,no matter what I love you hon!!!

musclemilf
01-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Do you know what your estradiol level was? FSH, Progestestorone, and Test? Unusually low estradiol can cause depression and all kinds of other wonderful symptoms.

musclemilf
01-01-2010, 06:11 PM
ah, didn't know you were s2h's other half. Welcome!

txbbchck
01-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome. My estradiol was 25. Can't remeber my prog but my free test was .9. I prob need to have bloodwork redone. My OB-GYN is terrific when you can actually get an appt. Takes weeks to get in and see him. I prob need to find someone else but hate to start all over again.

Is there anything that you can recommend in the meantime that will keep me even and not so blue? Tks.

GirlyMuscle
01-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Welcome to RX, tx! So happy to have you! Being a 45 yr old fbber I enjoy having other "experienced" (read ...older) gals to chat with. I wish I could give you advice but I'm a newbie to the chemical side of things. I've enjoyed the knowledge your hubby's brought to the site and I look forward to your involvement as well.

Good luck and hang in there! {{{hugs}}}

musclemilf
01-01-2010, 06:48 PM
I was told recently by my gyno that the menopausal level for estradiol is 50. Mine recently tested at 17 and I had a host of uncomfortable symptoms (depression, restless anxiety, hot flashes, heart palps...). HRT (evamist plus prometrium) was given to me, but I haven't started it yet.

I'm trying to get better the natural way. I'm taking 3-4 grams a day of pharmacutical grade fish oil from Nordic Naturals which seems to help to my mood. I'm also doing 1000mgs of evening primrose oil, but a B complex, 1500 mgs of ester C, 500mgs of timed released magnesium, Vitamin D and Calcium. Yeah, I'm swallowing pills all day lol.

Also, it's worth noting that the adrenal grands start to work harder to compensate for the lack of ovarian estrogen production. This can cause some women to encounter adrenal fatigue and this can impact thyroid function. Are you on a thyroid med? I thought I a thryoid med in your post.

I can't speak for the use of test prop. From what I've read, I think most menopausal women can benefit from a little test and definitely GH.

tammyp
01-01-2010, 07:14 PM
test prop hurts like a mo fo! i would suggest EQ if your interested in any type of test.

and welcome.....

txbbchck
01-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks y'all so much. I have done some EQ but prob not enough or long enough to notice a difference. I seem to do really well with Primo and GH. My husband thinks I should do a little test too but makes me uncomfortable because I don't want any side effects. Maybe I should be more brave!

I will absolutely look at the pharm grade fish oil. I do take 1000mg evening prim oil and Ester C, Vit D, Calcium, B Comp and a whole host of other supps. I will look into the Mag too. I also take levothyroxine and T3.

I know this is temporary but it certainly is not fun. Thank you all for your support and advice and expertise. Looking forward to being here!

musclemilf
01-01-2010, 08:19 PM
That's great that you're looking into the fish oil. Carlsons is another pharmaceutical grade fish oil too. I wouldn't recommend bothering with the drug store versions.

Also, all too often, doctors prescribe antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds instead of addressing the reality that female hormones in flux can cause mood issues. Knowledge is power with the choices we need to make with our bodies.

Take care.

txbbchck
01-01-2010, 08:29 PM
You couldn't be more right about doctors who rx anti-dep and anti-anxiety meds. When I first starting feeling the depression, moodiness and 'just not right feelings', I tried to see an Endocrinologist. We have 3 in our immediate area. I couldn't get an appointment for 3 months. So someone suggested an Internal Med physician. The Internal Med guy told me that if I were being true to myself I would see that I was clinically depressed. He told me I was in denial. And he wanted to write me an RX for an anti-depressant. Politely as I could, I told him that I might be depressed but there's a reason for it and that I was not going to take an anti-depressant. I was so mad. He wouldn't even entertain or address the REASON as to WHY I was feeling blue.

Couldn't agree more...Knowledge is power. Night Y'all.

GirlyMuscle
01-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Doctors seem to only treat the symptoms. They aren't interested in the source of the problem. Just sell more drugs. It's sad.

musclemilf
01-01-2010, 08:59 PM
It was not uncommon that some menopausal women were put in an asylum 60 years ago because the medical community didn't understand or know how to treat menopause. Mainstream medical still doesn't get it. No wonder anti aging clinics are so popular. I have an appointment with a clinic in few weeks. It's pricey, but I think it will be worth it.

s2h
01-02-2010, 11:50 AM
just wanna tell you I LOVE YOU TXBBCHCK XOXOXO,SEEE

s2h
01-02-2010, 11:52 AM
add on: SEE there are romantic loving 240lb BB guys and i;m not ashamed to admit i'm one of them P.S. dont tell my friends

GirlyMuscle
01-02-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm telling ALL your friends!

kimm4
01-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the welcome. My estradiol was 25. Can't remeber my prog but my free test was .9. I prob need to have bloodwork redone. My OB-GYN is terrific when you can actually get an appt. Takes weeks to get in and see him. I prob need to find someone else but hate to start all over again.

Is there anything that you can recommend in the meantime that will keep me even and not so blue? Tks.

Welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling quite yourself. Sounds crazy, but how's your diet?

Sometimes the foods we eat will affect our moods.

Here's a quick read article with some good info...I hope it helps. :)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/living/2003573688_foodmood18.html

s2h
01-02-2010, 09:02 PM
her diet is very clean for the most part even in the off season,thanks for the info!!

partsRheavy
01-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Have you been able to retain copies of your bloodwork? I would recommend keeping them for reference and ability to get second opinions.

The fish oil and vitamin D/C recommendations above are excellent. Might also keep an eye on blood pressure and take CoQ10 if needed. Guessing from your physique, your diet and fitness regime is excellent and has been good for years.

My only other comment is to look into getting a sub for _Life Extension_ magazine. You can order bloodwork through them (private and off-insurance), and they also recommend bioidentical HRT rather than prempro or premarin. You may want to consider this, especially since prempro/premarin aren't human-derived and since as estrogens they "contradict" the primobolan.

(Disclaimer: I'm 46. I have no personal experience with anything other than DHEA and I'm pre-menopausal. I'm just sorta researchin' this stuff.).

The cessation of periods this month could be related to low bodyfat percentage, primobolan, or menopause. It's really hard to say which. Mine are regular, but got dropped once a couple of years ago when my activity level went way up. Nothing else had changed, and Aunt Flo came right back next month and she's been regular since.

fitbody
01-02-2010, 09:13 PM
she takes 1iu of hgh a day not 10 i know this caus i'm her husband,no matter what I love you hon!!!

i almost had a heart attack when i read that until i read your post
i was like holy fuckin' shit !

fitbody
01-02-2010, 09:42 PM
of course you need to make sure medically everything is tickity boo
but we need to & can heal ourselves

do you meditate ?
it can really help take it from me i know only too well

the most valuable info i can give you is start a daily meditation practice
first thing in the am everyday
start small and easy
just start by sitting quieting set a timer for 3 mins and work up from there (5, 7 etc...)
good idea to light a candle and focus on the flame
at first 3 mins was super hard for me now i'm up to 20 mins !
this will change your life, quieten your mind & reconnect & ground you
just focus on your breath
breathe in thru the nose and out with the mouth, best to say Ahhhh...
just notice your thoughts and let them go like clouds passing by...

i know it may sound kinda crazy but whatever helps right...

go to post 985 this link: http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthrea...t=1173&page=33

The Awakening of The Cosmic Heart (The Core Rainbow)
YouTube- The Awakening of The Cosmic Heart (The Core Rainbow)

every day i post on my thread "Q & A with Canadian Dawn Alison" motivation
it sets my mind in the right mind frame everyday
believe me it works
if done this for years
go to this link am & pm for help:http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthrea...t=1173&page=34
and i'm here to help anytime just holler as per PM or whatever email: [email protected]

R.I.P.
01-03-2010, 04:47 PM
not a woman and no experience with menapause. but i do want to weigh in on the fish oil thing.i just read that 1000-3000 mgs of fish oil a day can have the same effect as paxil or prozac for depression but didn't do much for anxiety disorders.gotta get off the paxil myself. going to my doc soon. i nned a plan to get off this rap in a bad way.eating more fish and eating 3000 mgs a day.
good luck wih everything. it'll work out out.

musclemilf
01-03-2010, 05:11 PM
not a woman and no experience with menapause. but i do want to weigh in on the fish oil thing.i just read that 1000-3000 mgs of fish oil a day can have the same effect as paxil or prozac for depression but didn't do much for anxiety disorders.gotta get off the paxil myself. going to my doc soon. i nned a plan to get off this rap in a bad way.eating more fish and eating 3000 mgs a day.
good luck wih everything. it'll work out out.

The fish oil has to be pharmaceutical grade Omega 3s, ie. Carlsons or Nordic Naturals, not the everyday kind in the grocery store. You want EPAs to be at least 1500mgs and DHAs at 1000mgs. For me, it doesn't eliminate the symptoms, but blunts them enough so I could function in daily life.

tammyp
01-03-2010, 06:15 PM
i have taken wellbutrin for years and personally think i would be dead with out it. it really made me feel like me again after i started suffering from depression.

sassy69
01-04-2010, 03:54 AM
Sorry just catching up on this -- yes i see the typo w/ 10 vs 1 iu gh. Big difference!

I was wondering if you'd had your other hormone levels tested (free test, progest, thyroid, etc.) I would expect an interrupted period on primo.