PDA

View Full Version : New Years Resolutioner

whatdayaknow
01-02-2010, 09:10 AM
This is the time of the year when the New Years Resolutioners make their epic journey to gym. For January of every year you shall find your local gym to be increased 15% in membership by the great New Years Resolutioner. The one who vows to lose that weight. Fortunately for the regular gym attendee by February all is back to normal as the New Years Resolutioner returns to the sofa, TV, and beer.

sassy69
01-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Thank the good Lord for "human nature"... beer has a magnetic draw that cannot be resisted. Its a switch in training rotation from 10 lb curls to 16 oz hammerlifts. And the six-pack is replaced by a keg.

GirlyMuscle
01-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Look at it from the gym owners perspective. Most make their operating costs in Jan/Feb for the entire year. WIthout the resoluters the gym might not make it. So I guess in a way we should be thankful for them.

Wendy
01-05-2010, 08:39 AM
One of the reasons I am glad I can train at home!

ms_moneypenny
01-05-2010, 11:54 PM
I love playing spot the resolutioner!! I try not to judge and offer help when asked, but deep down, I know the end of the story!

Ibarramedia
01-06-2010, 12:22 AM
How many competitors here were once resolutioners that toughed it out and transformed their body? Just curious. While we may see that annual January influx, i'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt. At least they are actually making an effort. 3 out of 20 people may become future FBBS. That is a good thing.

GeminiJedi
01-06-2010, 12:31 AM
How many competitors here were once resolutioners that toughed it out and transformed their body? Just curious. While we may see that annual January influx, i'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt. At least they are actually making an effort. 3 out of 20 people may become future FBBS. That is a good thing.

:yep:

And, like GM said, breaking even in Jan/Feb means the other 10 months are profit. THAT'S sweet :D

BUT it is annoying when "your" piece of equipment is in use (mostly being used incorrectly, too) when you want to use it. I am reminded of the playground, back in the day (which was a Wednesday, by the way), and hearing "Play nice, children. Share." lol

I can't help but look at the Resolutioners who have stuck with it, but notice that they look EXACTLY THE SAME, and think to myself "Kudos for sticking with it, but why not ask for some more help now that you're here?" I guess I was fortunate enough to have a good training partner when I first started back to the gym (oddly enough just over 3 years ago now) to push me past my plateaus.

Ibarramedia
01-06-2010, 03:25 AM
:yep:

And, like GM said, breaking even in Jan/Feb means the other 10 months are profit. THAT'S sweet :D

BUT it is annoying when "your" piece of equipment is in use (mostly being used incorrectly, too) when you want to use it. I am reminded of the playground, back in the day (which was a Wednesday, by the way), and hearing "Play nice, children. Share." lol

I can't help but look at the Resolutioners who have stuck with it, but notice that they look EXACTLY THE SAME, and think to myself "Kudos for sticking with it, but why not ask for some more help now that you're here?" I guess I was fortunate enough to have a good training partner when I first started back to the gym (oddly enough just over 3 years ago now) to push me past my plateaus.

You only started lifting 3 years ago? As in 2007? Not bad. Not bad at all. Keep it up.

sassy69
01-06-2010, 03:31 AM
Kinda funny thought I had tonite at the gym. Most of the trainers at my gym have their clients throw the kettlebells around and bounce on a BOSU ball. So there's a new guy, kinda middle-aged Indian guy, who is doing exactly that. I just thought, cool, he's here trying. Right next to him was a lady doing the same shit, except she's been doing the same shit for months.

She must've been last year's new yrs resolutioner... I hope she eventually makes some progress.

s2h
01-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Ibarra i started my new years resolutuon in 2002 at 320lbs,45%bf ans a BP of 160/110(i worked for a beer company)i started w/ 5 min on the treadmill(i had to take the elevator cause i was winded)and light wieght training.I built it up gradully w/ aclean diet and lost 120lbs in 1 year.I then meet my (now wife)in 2006(she has just won the tx state champBB)and got into BB w/her and competed in my 1st show in 07 at 181.16 pds.I am working towards my 3rd show this year which will be the Branch Warren in Conroe,TX(where i live)cost less to compete at home and it's a great show.I will either be a Open LHW or a Novice HW as that my current wieght is 235ish 10-12% bf dont think i can make even novice MW 186.25 or even close!(i dont wiegh myself eveyday like my wife,you ladies know what i mean)I also just turned 40 so i will compete i the masters which is my ultimate goal to make it to the national level one day at that class.One thing being overwieght did do for my BB is it gave me a great set of calves,diamond cut,vascular year around and i do 1 set of 100 reps a week of donkey calf raises just for the hell of it,so thats my story hope it inspires people to know you can make a change in your life for the better,any Q's feel free to ask or PM me!!!