PDA

View Full Version : Keto Diet For Natural Athlete?

Deltasaurus
03-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Im all natty and I compete in Sports Jiu-Jitsu and was wondering if a keto diet could work for me? Providing enough energy for optimal performance???
any answer are appreciated,the more in depth the better.

Also im trying to go up in weight class by putting on solid LBM.
Can this be done efficiently ???

nitro
03-05-2009, 05:01 AM
I wouldn't do keto if you are trying to put on muscle.

Deltasaurus
03-05-2009, 11:40 AM
thanks, anyone else?

i guess when i lean up 6 weeks before the Comp a may do 4 weeks of keto to get my BF down.
but im glad to hear it guys i wasnt sure how i would properly bulk while on keto.

Myth
03-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Keto is not an optimal diet for performance enhancement. It also depends how intense your Jiu-Jitsu sessions are.

Keto should definitely not be used to add lean mass. TKD is much more suitable for that endeavor.

Koubs
03-05-2009, 12:29 PM
If you're trying to go UP in weight class (adding muscle), don't do keto... DEFINITELY get enough protein and fats because they are essential to the muscle building process, but ALSO include some carbs...

A lot of factors help decide how MUCH of each macronutrient you should have, but it would be safe to say to take in some carbs in the morning, and at least before and after your intense workouts... The other meals you could probably just focus on protein/fat, but again, depending on the individual, you may need even more carbs throughout the day to fuel the muscle-building process...

Deltasaurus
03-05-2009, 01:23 PM
TKD?

but yeah thats what i figured, To perform optimally i need Shit load of complex Carbs and i do use simple as well, Right now im having about 225pro 375 carbs and 80 fat.

AVBG
03-05-2009, 01:27 PM
If your trying to make weight then (in my opinion) go for it do a keto style diet.

When in Ketosis you won't be short of energy as your body will be getting its fuel from the fats (stored/eaten).

Do yourself a favor look up the Palumbo Q&A thread and you'll find two versions of the diet one to add weight and the other to shed bodyfat.

Deltasaurus
03-05-2009, 01:31 PM
anyone else on this? i was going to do the Keto for cutting but for gain and optimal performance wouldnt i need carbs? or do better with them?
I dont know any Pro Sport Athletes that dont consume carbs.

-AJ

AlonePowers
03-05-2009, 02:31 PM
I agree off-season carb it up to grow muscles. Pre-contest go Keto. burns that fat right off especially for endomorphs

Deltasaurus
03-06-2009, 01:02 AM
anyone else on this?
I like that thing on Endo's cuz i am one, so when i cut i may use a form of Keto

raylove
03-10-2009, 10:07 PM
i use keto and got shredded although i was doin like almost 3hr of cardio a day but if i started my earlier and did less cardio i think i would have come in a lot bigger and fuller. you can look at my pics on my myspace and decide if it works.

i personally liked it a lot more than a carb cycle.

TheSpirit
03-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Keto for ecto's is probably not going to be a great idea...unless you are in your 30's. Even then Ecto's typically handle carbs easier than endo's do.

Also much easier to do once you are really close to your genetic limit.

Deltasaurus
03-11-2009, 06:41 PM
yeah im wondering even though im using carbs to bulk if im using to many. My LBM is 155 and im having 400grams of carbs on WO and or WO + martial art training days

thachozenonebx
03-11-2009, 08:56 PM
anyone else on this? i was going to do the Keto for cutting but for gain and optimal performance wouldnt i need carbs? or do better with them?
I dont know any Pro Sport Athletes that dont consume carbs.

-AJ

HHH isnt a sports athlete in he truest sense of the word but i am sure pro wrestling is very taxing and draining and he follows the keto diet. Shit wrestlers work up to 300 days a yr with no offseason.

Deltasaurus
03-11-2009, 11:16 PM
what kind of Keto does he follow?

AlonePowers
03-14-2009, 12:45 PM
HHH isnt a sports athlete in he truest sense of the word but i am sure pro wrestling is very taxing and draining and he follows the keto diet. Shit wrestlers work up to 300 days a yr with no offseason.
Keto diet is specificlly for stripping bodyfat ie; bodybuilders. An athletes diet would be more geared for performance.

jjjohns_10
03-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Check out The Anabolic Solution by Dr. Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale. Great information about how to gain weight, AND lose it without the aid of AAS's.

Military Might
03-15-2009, 05:00 PM
You know, I've never personally tried gaining weight on a Keto diet before, I usually go for high amounts of carbs when i want to gain more muscle. But i heard that Dave had Toney Freeman on a keto and he gained muscle, so maybe look into that.

jo1
03-15-2009, 05:02 PM
when natural do u use ephedrine or clenbuterol??

also when u use no substances, while on a keto diet, what can u do to prevent muscle and strenght loss??

Deltasaurus
03-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Lift Heavy. thats what ido

jo1
03-17-2009, 06:03 AM
o u did not use clen or anything, for the diet, natural hey??

did u lose any muscle or strenght??

and the diet was zero carbs??

i want to do it now, but the thing is that f u use roids or clen, it keeps u anabolic, but if u do it naturally, like am gona, what can one take to prevent muscle and strenght loss??

tnkx!!

Deltasaurus
03-17-2009, 12:26 PM
i didnt say i did it, read the whole thread bro.

Id say have your Diet in Check and do cardio continue to lift heavy then if you hit a wall or plat, then add other subs

thepump
03-21-2009, 04:48 AM
when natural do u use ephedrine or clenbuterol??

also when u use no substances, while on a keto diet, what can u do to prevent muscle and strenght loss??
that is a great Q/A bro ask our main man dave. he can help you with your situation

;)

miamibodybuilder
03-07-2011, 09:33 AM
in my opinion keto diets are for fat loss not muscle gain man. and to be honest with you, they dont work in a positive way for everyone. it all depends on your body and how it responds to certain foods. alot of people including myself lose a lot of muscle mass during keto diets so therefore i dont do them. and if you're trying to gain muscle, you definitely need those good carbs in there brother to give you the energy and feed those muscles to grow. always keep your protein high and i usually cycle my carbs throughout the week. not everyone agrees with this method but again, it's what works for me. so give a few things a try until you find what works best for you. good luck