PDA

View Full Version : Doing chest work with implants?

bearded bb
01-03-2010, 06:27 PM
My wife has not done any chest work since she got her inplants about 18mos ago b/c her doctor told her not to do any direct chest exercises. She had our daughter 6mos ago and is eager to get back into exercising. We have p90x and she wanted to start doing it but some of the days require different types of push-ups.

I know I see female bodybuilders with implants. What can she do and not do? She is breast feeding. Her implants are under the muscle. Saline. And she is wondering if intense cardio can deplete her milk supply.

Thanks so much!!

GirlyMuscle
01-03-2010, 06:36 PM
I'd say she just has to try things for herself. If it hurts don't do it. Some girls can't do flat bench while others don't change their training at all. I never heard of cardio depleting milk production. It takes about 500 calories a day to produce milk so she should be careful of cutting calories too drastically.

bearded bb
01-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I'd say she just has to try things for herself. If it hurts don't do it. Some girls can't do flat bench while others don't change their training at all. I never heard of cardio depleting milk production. It takes about 500 calories a day to produce milk so she should be careful of cutting calories too drastically.

So should she increase her caloric intake if she wants to start doing cardio?

GirlyMuscle
01-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Kind of defeats the purpose of cardio....add calories so you can do more cardio. I'd just do less cardio. Breastfeeding is a great way to lose weight. I'd say she should keep her calories at maintenance and do some cardio and let the weight come off slowly and naturally. I'm just saying don't cut down to 1200 calories while breastfeeding and doing cardio.

bearded bb
01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
she said to tell you, "thank you, and she appreciates the advice."

GirlyMuscle
01-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Tell her she's welcome and we'd love to have her here as a member. There's lots of useful info here. I'm sure there will be others along shortly to add to my opinions. After all, I had my kid 21 yrs ago so my memory is kinda foggy about the whole baby thing. :)

tight booty
01-03-2010, 10:10 PM
I agree with not cutting calories too drastically if she wants to keep breastfeeding. As for training, I stick to incline exercsise only. I do incline dumbell presses and incline flyes. She should commence chest training slowly and just increase weights as her strength increases. I definitely don't see any reason to not train chest.

tight booty
01-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Tell her she's welcome and we'd love to have her here as a member. There's lots of useful info here. :)
Yes absolutely!

fitbody
01-04-2010, 11:20 AM
So should she increase her caloric intake if she wants to start doing cardio?

Kind of defeats the purpose of cardio....add calories so you can do more cardio. I'd just do less cardio. Breastfeeding is a great way to lose weight. I'd say she should keep her calories at maintenance and do some cardio and let the weight come off slowly and naturally. I'm just saying don't cut down to 1200 calories while breastfeeding and doing cardio.

how much cardio is she planning on doing ?
i breatfed my son for a long time
and after he was born & i healed from the c-section
i powerwalked everyday for 1 1/2 hrs and it was a tough hilly outside route
pushing the baby & walking the dog
this is how i got back inshape after i had my son
when he was first born i had plenty of milk
about a month later my production almost stopped
and i had to get put on domperidone
by the way was not exercising when this happened no apparent reason for the drop in production
i had to give him sm amount of formula till my production kicked back in
i had to stay on this for the length of time i breast fed
although i lower dosage
he was breatfed exclusively (no other food source) for a yr

as long as she's eating a healthy balanced diet cardio shouldn't affect production of milk but she needs to be gettin enough high quality calories for all energy expended

fitbody
01-04-2010, 11:24 AM
on training chest and implants
when the implant is under the muscle i have known on some girls
as they get more developed pecs it can in fact push the implant sideways towards the armpit
this doesn't necessarily happen with all but some
this is why i recommend my girls go over the muscle

on training...
alot of doctors advise not to train chest
doctors in my experience don't know much about training or competing
after my first surgery i was benching with a bar in a month
you have to listen to your body
i find more girls are uncomfortable especially closer after surgery with things like lat pulldown more than pushing movements for chest
not flyes are a different story

bottom line listen to your body

sassy69
01-04-2010, 11:58 AM
I've got unders, 10 yrs ago (it sounds like the surgery & recovery are a lot better these days). I'm built wide anyway, but I'd venture that I'm experiencing the implants getting pushed sideways. I asked my doc specifically about chest training and he didn't say do or don't do anything special. It took me quite a while to be able to comfortably do chest work w/o spastic contractions (while the chest area / implant pockets are still healing). I'd rather not recommend flat bench or decline bench as it just feels like they're falling out the sides. Depending on what level of lifting you are doing, you can get approximations of a flat bench workout w/ seated press machines or cable work (obviously not goiing to replace PL benching...). For Over the muscle, its less of a big deal - but as mentioned, listen to your body and see how the contraction & gravity feels on the implants. If it feels like its falling out the sides, don't do it.

KatsMeow
01-08-2010, 01:24 AM
You have to be careful with training hard on chest with implants, mine were under the muscle and I ripped them out of their pockets so now they are slightly misplaced and I have a not so pleasant appearance when I flex my chest, the muscle pulls upward and the implant falls below it creating a "double bubble" effect.

Kat

GeminiJedi
01-08-2010, 01:33 AM
Breastfeeding alone burns an extra 500 kcal per day. That's a pound a week in caloric expenditure. Cardio shouldn't be necessary as long as she's not compensating by eating extra.

debbiebramwell
01-20-2010, 04:38 PM
I am under the muscle and have always trained chest as if I didnt have them until I went bigger(I went from 325 ccs to 700ccs in may 09)Now I dont do any flat bench just high incline for my upper pecs. Mine didnt move but now some exercises just dont feel right so I dont do them. She should do what feels right and stick to high incline chest work.

Suzanne
01-21-2010, 10:17 AM
I have under the muscle and feel chest work has moved them down and out to side

can't stand it but can't afford to replace with overs