PDA

View Full Version : whats heavy to you?

tammyp
03-05-2009, 05:49 AM
what is heavy to you when you lift heavy?

GirlyMuscle
03-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Depends on the exercise. Do you mean actual numbers? And what's heavy today won't be in a couple of weeks/months. :D

Most weight used for working sets (6-10 reps)....

squats 205
leg press 630
rack deads 275
leg extension 210
DB curls 40s
tricep pushdowns 140
bench 135
seated DB shoulder press 50s
incline DB press 60s
Hammer Strength lateral rows 110 per side

And the list goes on....

Suzanne
03-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Heavy to me is going to failure in what ever rep range you have chosen

GirlyMuscle
03-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Heavy to me is going to failure in what ever rep range you have chosenTrue. I thought she meant numbers.

AndroGrrL
03-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Ohhhh I thought she meant numbers too...but my definition of heavy is different from Suzanne...if I say I'm going heavy that day...the most reps I plan on getting is 7 or 8...and I'm going til failure on that last rep...because if I chose a rep range of 50...and went to failure...that's not lifting heavy to me...

Suzanne
03-05-2009, 11:40 AM
if a "heavy" day then reps 8-15 only rarely lower to 6
and only rack pulls do i go lower just to see what i can get

I can say if i do squats 1 1/2 reps ATG with 135 that is f-ing heavy! yet my regular squat heavy is 225

Suzy Brown
03-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Having to walk outside cuz you think you're going to barf, or getting a pressure headache.

chicken breast
03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Getting to failure by four sets with the reps for each set becoming progressively less -12/10/8/6. Then I know I'm in the zone.

Tiki
03-05-2009, 02:32 PM
For me, Heavy is below 8 reps.

BadAssBarbie
03-05-2009, 05:44 PM
When I'm using more weight than most of the men in my gym....successfully....I guess I'm going heavy:)
If I can hardly keep from tossing my cookies(or egg whites. lol), then I was likely going heavy.
If it hurts to walk DOWN the stairs after my leg day, I probably went heavy.
As far as numbers....it depends...somedays I am stronger than others. When I go heavy, I still do as many reps as I can, but that could be 6 or it could be 10...depends.
Wow! That really didn't narrow it down, did it???

IRONURSE
03-06-2009, 08:28 AM
When I'm using more weight than most of the men in my gym....successfully....I guess I'm going heavy:)
If I can hardly keep from tossing my cookies(or egg whites. lol), then I was likely going heavy.
As far as numbers....it depends...somedays I am stronger than others. When I go heavy, I still do as many reps as I can, but that could be 6 or it could be 10...depends.

Exactly what I was thinking! :D

BadAssBarbie
03-07-2009, 02:37 PM
HEY Ironurse!! That's exactly what you were thinking, huh???? hahahahahahahaaaa

SallyAnne
03-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I totally switched my training around and don't do 'heavy' anymore - and I've grown a lot faster than I did when I was training heavy. When you train smart, a moderate weight can seem very heavy.

I like Barbie's explanation the best, though. She nailed it.

Sandpig
03-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Ladies, didn't Iris say that heavy isn't even in her vocabulary? Or something along those lines.

IRONURSE
03-07-2009, 08:58 PM
HEY Ironurse!! That's exactly what you were thinking, huh???? hahahahahahahaaaa

Yeah Badass .... isn't it fun to take the weights from the geeks? They are about the only ones I can outlift right now! LOL! :D
(I also agree with everything else you said.)

MsGuns
03-09-2009, 10:46 PM

Amen sista!!!

sassy69
03-10-2009, 02:47 AM
I have some stuff I strive for weights, and others its more about volume & intensity. I guess "heavy" is when my legs are shaking after it all, or I can't contract the muscle anymore.

Allifit
03-12-2009, 06:11 PM
x2.

There is a difference between SMART training and throwing weight around just to throw it around. I usually don't go lower then 6 reps unless I feel like doing some balls to the wall training (like tire flips and sled drags and other unorthodox stuff)....

but usually I work in the 6-12 range, on my legs I've gone as high as 20 to push striations.

As far as stats go I'm known for having a strong upper body- strong shoulders, strong back, strong biceps, and more recently a strong chest.

Steph Orr
03-13-2009, 01:22 PM
everything I touch now is heavy.....its going to take some time before I can actually lift heavy again.

~Dayna~
03-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Heavy to me is 3-6 rep range. I haven`t gone heavy in well over a year and I have healed up my injury finally and have no plans on going heavy now I go at moderate weight and work to failure I don`t even count reps half the time just push it tell I can`t push anymore.

genex
03-16-2009, 06:08 PM
man all those weights are heavy to me. I only touch them when i have to move them during gym photo shoots though. I remember working at Gold's years ago and the manager asked me to clean the dumbells. I got to like the 80s and was like "fuck this shit" - dunno how people can use those 100+lb dumbells...

HeavyDutyGuy
03-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Depends on the exercise. Do you mean actual numbers? And what's heavy today won't be in a couple of weeks/months. :D

Most weight used for working sets (6-10 reps)....

squats 205
leg press 630
rack deads 275
leg extension 210
DB curls 40s
tricep pushdowns 140
bench 135
seated DB shoulder press 50s
incline DB press 60s
Hammer Strength lateral rows 110 per side

And the list goes on....

Wait, your leg extension is 5 lbs more than your squat? (Weird, but so is mine if you consider I do them one leg at a time). And the triceps pushdown exceeds your bench press? (Even more weird, I can't even support this one, because mines not close, less than half). You're a strong woman without a doubt, but the numbers are all over the place, lol. Anyone else get numbers like this?

Skeptic
03-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Wait, your leg extension is 5 lbs more than your squat? (Weird, but so is mine if you consider I do them one leg at a time). And the triceps pushdown exceeds your bench press? (Even more weird, I can't even support this one, because mines not close, less than half). You're a strong woman without a doubt, but the numbers are all over the place, lol. Anyone else get numbers like this?

Funny. I was just damn impressed with her numbers and didn't stop to analyze the consistency of the data. GirlyMuscle is way strong.

But the inconsistencies are intriguing.

GirlyMuscle
03-23-2009, 11:24 AM
I have two herniated disks in my low back. Some exercises hurt too much. Squats is one I wasn't able to do heavy for years so I never worked on getting the numbers up. Way too much pulling and strain on the low back. So I focused on what I could do. I still have flare ups from time to time. I have to be very careful.

Ninja Loco
03-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Interesting topic. Even more interesting in that I have some "workout tips" up in my gym talking about what heavy is. Seems as though too many people put too much emphasis on numbers rather than the intensity needed to arrive at said numbers. If you dont mind, let me show you what I mean.

Pulldowns with 150 is heavy to me. No, seriously, it is. I get a good workout and I get a really good pump if i do ten reps. BUT.... when I do the stack (300) I get the same feeling in the muscles, a great workout, and a great pump. What's the difference? The difference is that my whole body gets tired by working out with the stack, as opposed to only my back feeling worked with half the weight. My whole body getting tired and feeling slightly winded is the measure of the intensity added to the exercise. THAT is what makes it heavy. Heavy weight will always be heavy weight no matter the number because 100 pounds will always be 100 pounds. It is the level of intensity, or added intensity, that makes it truly heavy.

Now..... I can add a 25 pound weight to the stack and still pull down a few, but in that instance it is too heavy for me to feel properly.

In conclusion, 90% of the time Im able to show people that what they thought was heavy was not heavy enough. More often than not they are surprised by how much more they can lift when either prompted to do so, or shown the right way, which is not what this is about, I know. Heavy to me is in the 6-10 rep range ONLY when the whole body gets tired by the exercise instead of just the working muscle.

Hope I didnt overstep my bounds, ladies. I just get a lot of questions as to what heavy is from the ladies in my gym and I thought I'd share what I teach them.

SallyAnne
03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Interesting topic. Even more interesting in that I have some "workout tips" up in my gym talking about what heavy is. Seems as though too many people put too much emphasis on numbers rather than the intensity needed to arrive at said numbers. If you dont mind, let me show you what I mean.

Pulldowns with 150 is heavy to me. No, seriously, it is. I get a good workout and I get a really good pump if i do ten reps. BUT.... when I do the stack (300) I get the same feeling in the muscles, a great workout, and a great pump. What's the difference? The difference is that my whole body gets tired by working out with the stack, as opposed to only my back feeling worked with half the weight. My whole body getting tired and feeling slightly winded is the measure of the intensity added to the exercise. THAT is what makes it heavy. Heavy weight will always be heavy weight no matter the number because 100 pounds will always be 100 pounds. It is the level of intensity, or added intensity, that makes it truly heavy.

Now..... I can add a 25 pound weight to the stack and still pull down a few, but in that instance it is too heavy for me to feel properly.

In conclusion, 90% of the time Im able to show people that what they thought was heavy was not heavy enough. More often than not they are surprised by how much more they can lift when either prompted to do so, or shown the right way, which is not what this is about, I know. Heavy to me is in the 6-10 rep range ONLY when the whole body gets tired by the exercise instead of just the working muscle.

Hope I didnt overstep my bounds, ladies. I just get a lot of questions as to what heavy is from the ladies in my gym and I thought I'd share what I teach them.

I'm a form nazi - so to me, the 300 lbs was a waste if time if you're trying to work your back. :D lol I will not hesitate to lower the weight if I don't feel it where I'm supposed to.

...and yes - if done right, it should still be heavy and a struggle.

Ninja Loco
03-23-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm a form nazi - so to me, the 300 lbs was a waste if time if you're trying to work your back. :D lol I will not hesitate to lower the weight if I don't feel it where I'm supposed to.

...and yes - if done right, it should still be heavy and a struggle.
LOL, that was kind of my point. I guess I should have mentioned form. With the added 25 I can still pul down a few, but they dont feel right, which means Im obviously breaking form. With the 300 it feels right, and is a bit more of a struggle, but not so much where I break form. Only in that it takes more out of me as a whole. Oh hell yeah, Im not going to add weight just to look like I can. I wont hesitate lowering it at all.

GirlyMuscle
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Wait, your leg extension is 5 lbs more than your squat? (Weird, but so is mine if you consider I do them one leg at a time). And the triceps pushdown exceeds your bench press? (Even more weird, I can't even support this one, because mines not close, less than half). You're a strong woman without a doubt, but the numbers are all over the place, lol. Anyone else get numbers like this?Oh yeah...and the bench number...I don't bench without a spotter. I probably only bench a half dozen times a year. I do mostly DB work or Hammer Strength. So on flat bench with DBs I can use 60s without a spot. If I have someone to help me with the first one I can do much more. I think it's sufficiently heavy if I have a hard time getting into the correct position.

Tris and calves I am naturally blessed with. I never train either much and I have decent ones. Super strong on them too. I can do the stack on the donkey calf raise machine...400 pounds. Do I? Rarely. I don't need to.

SallyAnne
03-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Oh yeah...and the bench number...I don't bench without a spotter. I probably only bench a half dozen times a year. I do mostly DB work or Hammer Strength. So on flat bench with DBs I can use 60s without a spot. If I have someone to help me with the first one I can do much more. I think it's sufficiently heavy if I have a hard time getting into the correct position.

Tris and calves I am naturally blessed with. I never train either much and I have decent ones. Super strong on them too. I can do the stack on the donkey calf raise machine...400 pounds. Do I? Rarely. I don't need to.

this compresses and hurts my lower back. I don't usually go above 100 lbs on calves. I do more reps/sets rather than heavy weight.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-23-2009, 03:03 PM
GM, I understand totally. Safety does come first. Can't train if you're in traction. You're tricep strength is really good, better than some guys in my gyn, and in my experience, that's not usually a strong point with women. Usually its legs, then back.