PDA

View Full Version : Skim Milk

GrowthGifted
03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Why avoid Skim Milk if it's glycemic index is 32 ??

If lactose is a dissacharide carbohydrate, with a molecule of glucose+galactose both being simple sugars, when they are bounded together won't this change their glycemic index as well ??

0% fat skim milk has 6 grams of protein per 200ml...

Interesting isn't it ?

Frosty
03-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Milk causes a ton of insulin to be released. It's insulin index is through the roof.

GrowthGifted
03-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Do you know a reliable website for me to check GLYCEMIC INDEX bodybuilding wise ??

on all average nutrition books skim milk gl is 32, which is really low.

Frosty
03-05-2009, 02:00 PM
The glycemic index of milk is always low. It's insulin index is very high. It causes a big insulin release. Glycemic index doesn't tell you everything.

flexingtonsteele
03-05-2009, 02:01 PM
adults shouldnt drink milk period.

tiramisu
03-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Piffle...

I have have had great success with a gallon of milk a day on top of a normal diet during get big season. The lactose intolerant are just jealous that some of us can get our calories cheap and easy.

Frosty
03-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Some guys can eat McDonalds and be fine, too, that doesn't meat it works for everyone.

Myth
03-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Why avoid milk? Other than the fact that every human on the planet is lactose intolerant, I have no idea...

Frosty
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Why avoid milk? Other than the fact that every human on the planet is lactose intolerant, I have no idea...

I've never had an issue with lactose. I can drink two gallons a day and be fine.

GrowthGifted
03-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Milk causes a ton of insulin to be released. It's insulin index is through the roof.

The glycemic index measures blood glucose AFFTER you ate a certain food. When blood glucose rises, the pancreas secreates insulin.. Which is a hormone that takes this glucose OUT of the blood, stores in the liver and so on...

Tell me where you read anything about this INSULIN INDEX ?

Do you even know how the body uses insulin or how it's secreated? how can you say milk causes a ton of insulin to be released and than say at the same time it's glycemic index is low ??

?????????????????????????????????????

Frosty
03-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Wow, google is your friend. You have a lot to learn about what goes on in the body with food. Research insulin index, and also research why it is that milk causes a large area under the curve of insulin even though its glycemic index is low. The info is out there but with the way you insinuated that I'm a fucking idiot I'm certainly not going to do your homework for you.

Myth
03-05-2009, 05:31 PM
I've never had an issue with lactose. I can drink two gallons a day and be fine.

I was implying that by nature we all have some intolerance to it, to some extent. Humans drinking bovine milk is straight perverted, lol.

GrowthGifted
03-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Wow, google is your friend. You have a lot to learn about what goes on in the body with food. Research insulin index, and also research why it is that milk causes a large area under the curve of insulin even though its glycemic index is low. The info is out there but with the way you insinuated that I'm a fucking idiot I'm certainly not going to do your homework for you.

I didn't took any info from google, I just wrote everything as I thought of at the time ....

I didn't ensinuated you're an idiot, don't take things personally this way, I'm confused about this subject thats why I started this thread.

Frosty
03-05-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm saying use google to find the answers about insulin index and milk.

fits
03-05-2009, 06:34 PM
full fat RAW milk - Nothing wrong with it!! great stuff

Frosty
03-05-2009, 06:40 PM
full fat RAW milk - Nothing wrong with it!! great stuff

Agreed, especially pastured. So long as it fits into your current diet plan.

TPT
03-05-2009, 10:45 PM
i've definately reduced my intake of milk since i was a kid. but damn- protein shakes don't taste the same without any form of milk. i drink it but water sucks with chocolate, vanilla or strawberry protein supplements.

Frosty
03-05-2009, 10:50 PM
i've definately reduced my intake of milk since i was a kid. but damn- protein shakes don't taste the same without any form of milk. i drink it but water sucks with chocolate, vanilla or strawberry protein supplements.

Ever use almond milk? It helps, in my opinion.

Zetawill
03-06-2009, 01:11 AM
I was implying that by nature we all have some intolerance to it, to some extent. Humans drinking bovine milk is straight perverted, lol.

You haven't seen perverted until you've seen me drink milk.....straight from the udder!

GrowthGifted
03-07-2009, 10:21 AM
I read somewhere that Iris Kyle's cheat food would be yogurt.. this is definately a sign that milk and yogurt is not an everyday PRO bodybuilder friendly food,for commom people, moderation I think moderation is fine

militantmuscle
03-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Milk is ok if you are lactose tolerant, but the majority of Asian people (>96% roughly) and Africans are lactose intolerant.

Contrary to popular nutritional dietary guidelines advocated by our government and the milk industry, you don't NEED milk.

BadAssBarbie
03-07-2009, 02:56 PM
adults shouldnt drink milk period.
I don't know of any animals that continue drinking milk after they're weined from their mother. IMO, humans don't need it either...especially being that the milk we drink is bovine, not human. The molecular make-up is very different between the two. Bovine milk is not made for humans. Although, goats' milk is very similar to human milk.

Frosty
03-07-2009, 08:44 PM
I don't know of any animals that continue drinking milk after they're weined from their mother. IMO, humans don't need it either...especially being that the milk we drink is bovine, not human. The molecular make-up is very different between the two. Bovine milk is not made for humans. Although, goats' milk is very similar to human milk.

Okay, following the same logic we can then insinuate that we shouldn't cook any of our food, either, since I don't know of any animals that cook their food.... But that doesn't follow.

Second part. Just because molecular makeup of human milk and cow milk are different doesn't mean it isn't good for you or should be avoided. Is ground beef similar in composition to human milk? No...does that mean you should avoid it?

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying milk is for everyone or it's needed. There are benefits, especially for some, and negatives for others, and it's decided on an individual basis. Raw grassfed milk can be a very health-giving food.

Myth
03-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Okay, following the same logic we can then insinuate that we shouldn't cook any of our food, either, since I don't know of any animals that cook their food.... But that doesn't follow.

True, but you know if they could cook it, they would. LOL

You seen how fast a dog will grub a cooked steak? : )

BadAssBarbie
03-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I understand what you're saying, but there are many people who believe we should eat our foods raw(I'm sure you have heard of the raw food diet.) There are also many people who believe that we should not eat beef(u mentioned ground beef.)
I understand that many people can drink milk with no problems, I just believe we don't need it. I'm not saying I don't ever have dairy. I love cheese, ice cream, etc. As far as the benefits, you can get all the calcium and such from other foods.
Again, I'm not AGAINST milk, I just believe we don't need it. Hey, we don't need half the shit we put into our bodies, but we all do it anyway!!!

Frosty
03-08-2009, 11:33 AM
I understand what you're saying, but there are many people who believe we should eat our foods raw(I'm sure you have heard of the raw food diet.) There are also many people who believe that we should not eat beef(u mentioned ground beef.)
I understand that many people can drink milk with no problems, I just believe we don't need it. I'm not saying I don't ever have dairy. I love cheese, ice cream, etc. As far as the benefits, you can get all the calcium and such from other foods.
Again, I'm not AGAINST milk, I just believe we don't need it. Hey, we don't need half the shit we put into our bodies, but we all do it anyway!!!

Sure, and that could be said about any food.

BadAssBarbie
03-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Absolutely!

GrowthGifted
03-08-2009, 04:43 PM
The reason why people discuss this "eat raw" food theory is because of protein denaturation, which is when you overheat proteins, the amino acids lose their properties. On the other hand people also argue that the body don't absorpts/assimilates raw food like cooked food.

this thread is about milk, let's not forget that packed milk is pasteurized prior to being packed. that means the milk had been overheated A LOT to kill all the bacterias. The two BEST enviroment for bacterias to develop are : 1st = blood, 2nd= milk.

GrowthGifted
03-08-2009, 05:40 PM
To digest lactose our intestional villi secreats an enzyme called lactase, which than breaks lactose into glucose and galactose, two simple sugars ( monossacharides ).

Since our body first needs to break lactose into glucose and galactose before it is able to be absorpted, is milk still a really bad idea concerning the insulin spike ?

Youngguns
03-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I love milk it's a great protein source and I'm not lactose intolerant.

Skim milk all the way while bulking.

And if you're lucky and you buy from a large corporation it will have added growth hormones and such.

gman
03-08-2009, 06:23 PM
added estrogen you mean?

Frosty
03-08-2009, 10:21 PM
The reason why people discuss this "eat raw" food theory is because of protein denaturation, which is when you overheat proteins, the amino acids lose their properties. On the other hand people also argue that the body don't absorpts/assimilates raw food like cooked food.

this thread is about milk, let's not forget that packed milk is pasteurized prior to being packed. that means the milk had been overheated A LOT to kill all the bacterias. The two BEST enviroment for bacterias to develop are : 1st = blood, 2nd= milk.

Raw milk from healthy cows is NOT a great environment for bad bacteria to grow. The natural bacteria already in it do a lot to prevent bad bacteria growth. Key words are "from healthy cows." I wouldn't drink raw milk from the nasty dairies commercial milk comes from, but Organic Pastures that we have in California, I'd drink all day since it's always been very clean.