PDA

View Full Version : Seated Bench Press Machine

DaveV
03-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I tried this last week and couldn't get a feeling in my chest. It felt like it was all triceps. I tried a close grip and a wide grip. The wide felt a little better but still heavily in the tri's.

Anyone else experience it on this or am I just doing it wrong? I used it because all the benches were taken.

big.poppa.pump
03-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Eh, I get a decent pump off of it. I never really use it though. About the only time I use it is at the end of my workouts during the offseason for burning out the muscle or if my elbow is sore.

Sledge
03-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Are you talking about the Hammer strength type.

I used them fr alternating weeks just for something different about a year ago. realy felt it in my chest too.

DaveV
03-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Are you talking about the Hammer strength type.

I used them fr alternating weeks just for something different about a year ago. realy felt it in my chest too.

Yep. Hammer Strength is the name on the machine. There is regular seated bench and then another one that is incline seated bench.

enrage
03-05-2009, 04:38 PM
the incline hammer strength tends to hit more chest for me. the regular one that you were using, all i feel is triceps as well.

Wheels
03-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Make sure you really retract your shoulder blades before you start. This will enhance the focus in the chest. Play around with the seat level too. A good rule of thumb (usually) for seated chest machines is fist level to armpits. Good luck.

I've always fiddled a little with the seat height, not exactly sure of where it should be. The above makes a lot of sense, thanks for that Mike.

Big Al
03-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Where's only free weights for me for the chest and some cables, unless have an injury, then Smith.

Youngguns
03-06-2009, 12:57 PM
I would suggest free weights.

Stick your chest out more.

ThePoser
03-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Don't like the Hammer Strenght machine either

DaveV
03-06-2009, 01:08 PM
I would suggest free weights.

Stick your chest out more.

I normally use free weights. It was just that all the benches were taken up by PT's having their clients stretch on them. It's unreal man. Some old man getting told to stretch on the flat bench under the bar. Like nobody else needs to use it. There is a floor for a reason.

anthony1992
03-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I like free weights better

anthony1992
03-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Make sure you really retract your shoulder blades before you start. This will enhance the focus in the chest. Play around with the seat level too. A good rule of thumb (usually) for seated chest machines is fist level to armpits. Good luck.

this is good advice

BoneBz
03-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I don't mind Hammer Strength machines. I like them cause I get to come across my chest as I push so I really feel chest squeeze together. So I sometimes use them instead of dumbbells, probably like every third chest session.