PDA

View Full Version : What is a 'Hardcore Gym'?

SallyAnne
01-08-2010, 08:22 PM
In your mind, what makes a gym hardcore?

FIREBLAST
01-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Truly hardcore? To be honest, it's the person who trains that creates the idea of being hardcore. However, if we're just talking about what most people see as a "hardcore" gym, then it's a gym that's got decent equipment and essentially everything you could possibly need (within reason) to have a productive workout. Also, good music such as some hard rock and/or rap, depending on what the owner wants, that also contributes to the hardcore atmosphere.

Abraxas
01-14-2010, 05:09 PM
-A hardcore gym,is most likely owned by a bodybuilder or powerlifter.

-It must be barely populated with regular gymfolk.

-Competitors must train or be trained there.

-It must have plate loaded machines,lots of weights
and very heavy dumbells.

-Plenty of big guys training.

-Preferably be a little dirty ,cracks in the wall, a bit of dust that sorta thing.

-Must be well known around the country or local area for its hardcore gym status.

The Big Sexy
01-14-2010, 05:15 PM
A large population of competitors... strongmen, powerlifters or bodybuilders... or even gym rats who don't compete but take their shit seriously.

Selection of equipment... not necessarily in the best shape - but many different implements of pain and devastation.

At least one chain link fence for a window... with a giant garage door that is lifted up and down with a chain pully... or, if in a basement - exposed ceiling piping with no panels.

Outside of competitors - the overall majority of people training should have a purpose. I've seen people who don't look hardcore at all - but they aren't there to Nancy-pants around - they are there to workout and train. To me, this is admirable even if you don't have the physique to go along with it.

I would prefer a broken mirror or two...

Cheaper memberships than most commercial gyms.

Deadlift platform or area... some sort of squatting apparatus with hydrolics.

The Thinker
01-14-2010, 05:35 PM
A large population of competitors... strongmen, powerlifters or bodybuilders... or even gym rats who don't compete but take their shit seriously.

Selection of equipment... not necessarily in the best shape - but many different implements of pain and devastation.

At least one chain link fence for a window... with a giant garage door that is lifted up and down with a chain pully... or, if in a basement - exposed ceiling piping with no panels.

Outside of competitors - the overall majority of people training should have a purpose. I've seen people who don't look hardcore at all - but they aren't there to Nancy-pants around - they are there to workout and train. To me, this is admirable even if you don't have the physique to go along with it.

I would prefer a broken mirror or two...

Not that I disagree but you didn't dig too deep by describing Worlds Gym SD! The Chain Link fence made me LOL.

cat
01-14-2010, 06:40 PM

I used to manage one in the northeast. No A/C in the summer [just a few industrial type fans---noisy as hell] and no centralized heat in the winter [just a few space heaters] and that smell....rubber mats and sweat.

DRUNK
01-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Gay guys fucking in the steam room.

The Big Sexy
01-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Not that I disagree but you didn't dig too deep by describing Worlds Gym SD! The Chain Link fence made me LOL.

Gold's Venice has one too!!! :)

The Big Sexy
01-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Gay guys fucking in the steam room.

Steam room is too gay... it should be in the posing room or on the recumbent bikes.

DRUNK
01-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Steam room is too gay... it should be in the posing room or on the recumbent bikes.

What about pros letting twinks blow them for money? Top that.

The Big Sexy
01-14-2010, 09:25 PM
What about pros letting twinks blow them for money? Top that.

Live webcam gay orgy sex shows at midnight for PPV?

coaltrain
02-26-2010, 03:16 PM
I know a gym where there is regular folk as well as competitors, very clean, heavy dbs, lots of equipment, normal watered down music, the owner is an IFBB Pro, and he lets you train all out. No restrictions. Do you think this would be considered hardcore?

I have always thought that as long as there is plenty of equipment, lots of positive energy, and free reign to get after it however I see fit, it is considered hardcore. Or at least accomodating to the hardcore type.

Tu Holmes
02-26-2010, 03:19 PM
A "hardcore" gym is a buncha bullshit.

You either train or you don't.

Hardcore is a term that people use because they want to seem cooler than someone else.

It is Bull - Fuckin - Shit

Deltasaurus
02-26-2010, 03:34 PM
A hardcore Gym should have a Bunch of Hot Chicks doing cardio on elipiticals with guys with 16inch arms and no legs hitting on them, there should be hella jersey shore guys who use a split of
arms/legs
arms/back
arms/chest
arms/shoulders
arms/arms

also tanning should have a tanning bed that is very clean

there should be no deadlifting allowed no chalk and there is no free weights only machines

and only techno and club music will be played

Thats FUCKING HARD CORE

http://www.thefatsolutions.com/img/userPics/1246455012_2754.jpg

Con
02-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Simple in my books....it's a gym were you can get your work done with out dbol boys in vests eying you up trying to decide if their arms are bigger or not. Hard work is rewarded over everything else. It is also a place where respect is shown, the biggest guy doesn't walk around like king kong acting like a dick and every one puts their weights away properly.

coaltrain
02-26-2010, 06:27 PM
A hardcore Gym should have a Bunch of Hot Chicks doing cardio on elipiticals with guys with 16inch arms and no legs hitting on them, there should be hella jersey shore guys who use a split of
arms/legs
arms/back
arms/chest
arms/shoulders
arms/arms

also tanning should have a tanning bed that is very clean

there should be no deadlifting allowed no chalk and there is no free weights only machines

and only techno and club music will be played

Thats FUCKING HARD CORE

LOL I've been doing it wrong all this time. Thanks for the enlightenment. Off to go do arms!

barbellbarbie
02-26-2010, 06:36 PM

i.e real equipment and no lines for the squat rack because of a curler..

thesamewords
02-26-2010, 10:29 PM
I think most gyms that are "hardcore" have PL equipment and an area to use it. but hardcore is just another label. you either train hard or you dont.

Chong Li
02-27-2010, 11:44 AM
"hardcore"- otomix shoes, milk jug for water bottle, gym bag too big for what is carried in it, string back muscle shirt, GASP shorts. HAHAHAHAH

whatdayaknow
02-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Two words: Planet Fitness

powerbeast
02-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Two words: Planet Fitness
Hahahahahaha! That was a good one

crossbellas
10-28-2010, 05:51 PM
from watchin the branch dvd i would have to say it means filthy as hell with broken shit laying around everywhere and no a/c

Tu Holmes
10-28-2010, 06:00 PM
The Hardcore gym is the gym where you fucking workout as hard as you can.

It's not the place, it's YOU.

This hardcore gym shit is ricockulous! The place doesn't do shit... You're the one lifting the fucking weight.

If you need some shitty ass dungeon to be "hardcore" then you're probably just a bitch anyway.

joe d
10-29-2010, 07:01 AM
no rules, heavy dumbbells, lots of open space, proper flooring for barbell work (nothing beats high pulls), plenty of squat racks.

Sledge
10-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Decent equipment. And enough equipment.

That's about it. Anything else is just personal preference or aesthetics. 20kg weighs 20kg regardless of where you lift it.

Massfreak2063
10-29-2010, 11:07 AM
A "hardcore" gym is a buncha bullshit.

You either train or you don't.

Hardcore is a term that people use because they want to seem cooler than someone else.

It is Bull - Fuckin - Shit

I think most gyms that are "hardcore" have PL equipment and an area to use it. but hardcore is just another label. you either train hard or you dont.

you guys obviously have never been kicked out of gyms for training too hard....which I have, so that you either train hard or you don't crap is bullshit when you're told that you're being too intense and dropping weights (when you're not) and blah blah blah

The Hardcore gym is the gym where you fucking workout as hard as you can.

It's not the place, it's YOU.

This hardcore gym shit is ricockulous! The place doesn't do shit... You're the one lifting the fucking weight.

If you need some shitty ass dungeon to be "hardcore" then you're probably just a bitch anyway.

You need to go visit the original metroflex buddy, bet you shut your mouth right quick

Fitnessdoc
11-24-2011, 12:16 PM
I am opening a franchised fitness center in SW Florida.

I am a 48 year old Bodybuilder , but my real job is a Medical Doctor.

We are opening a brand new fully equiped 13,000 sq ft.gym in a few weeks.

My training partner is a competitive BB and will be our director of Personal training.
We welcome Bodybuilders who want a clean environment and excellent equipment.

The issue is, we will not tolerate immature attitudes that interfere with others trying to accomplish their individual goals and folks who are rude!

My little brother is a top Triathlete and will train for 3 hours daily
with a focus beyond most of us.

Try running 26 miles, jumping into the ocean and swimmimg a mile and then biking up hills for 100 miles in 8 hours...

Should I ask to be on the registry? I use it when I travel to escape
LA fitness etc...
Fitnessdoc

Wou

Should I list as a "Hardcore Gym" ??

Fitnessdoc

Waylon
12-14-2011, 05:15 PM
there are nails sticking out the beams of the roof, water leaking from the ceiling when it rains, people beating the shit out of eachother in the backround, and all the equipment is shit thats lasted since the 80's/90's because it is quality. It's called und1sputed now but it used to be a Worlds when I was growing up.

http://pics3.city-data.com/businesses/p/9/7/6/9/4619769.JPG
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2781/4451959614_7ecab5fa0b.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0W-gwMEFl0c/S0qItxSa2BI/AAAAAAAAAQU/Wh3lg6DX7u8/s400/0063483_01_web.jpg

:ninjaloco:

cook
12-14-2011, 05:21 PM
there are nails sticking out the beams of the roof, water leaking from the ceiling when it rains, people beating the shit out of eachother in the backround, and all the equipment is shit thats lasted since the 80's/90's because it is quality. It's called und1sputed now but it used to be a Worlds when I was growing up.

http://pics3.city-data.com/businesses/p/9/7/6/9/4619769.JPG
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2781/4451959614_7ecab5fa0b.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0W-gwMEFl0c/S0qItxSa2BI/AAAAAAAAAQU/Wh3lg6DX7u8/s400/0063483_01_web.jpg

:ninjaloco:
Looks like a real shithole.....I love it

txhawkeyes
12-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Hardcore gym =

where guys where Hoodies and unlaced steel toes.

.....Sorry Ritch, I just cooodn't resist !!!!:yep:

Heffalum
12-17-2011, 01:55 PM
I like a gym that has all the equipment needed to train heavy. But I'm not into douche bag drama, like guys yelling out at the top of there lungs and dropping F bombs while training. Just go into the gym shut the fuck up and kick some ass.

ritch
12-17-2011, 02:06 PM
I like a gym that has all the equipment needed to train heavy. But I'm not into douche bag drama, like guys yelling out at the top of there lungs and dropping F bombs while training. Just go into the gym shut the fuck up and kick some ass.

:hmn:

Tu Holmes
12-17-2011, 05:02 PM
you guys obviously have never been kicked out of gyms for training too hard....which I have, so that you either train hard or you don't crap is bullshit when you're told that you're being too intense and dropping weights (when you're not) and blah blah blah

You need to go visit the original metroflex buddy, bet you shut your mouth right quick

I've been there. I've been in a shit ton of gyms.

The building never lifted shit.

mrisrael2009
07-09-2012, 02:55 AM
should look like a garage, prison or bomb shelter... only rock or rap music played..... no rubber coated weights.... freedom to shout, growl and howl like a wolf before a heavy lift.... open at least till mid night and all holidays till late....should have a fair share of members who are capable of frightening ordinary humans.... 2 plate bench presses and 3 plate squats are considered warm-ups by a majority of the members and most importantly no damn annoying sales staff!

seanmech
07-09-2012, 04:24 AM

This!!!

nsp
07-09-2012, 07:13 AM
I think of it as a gym that only has the essentials for a bodybuilder/powerlifter, everything we need and nothing we don't. None of the extra fru fru amenities that only appeal to the mainstream to up membership sales, leaving only bodybuilders/powerlifters interested in training there.

Provo82
07-11-2012, 02:12 PM
id say a place that welcomes serious individuals/athletes and doesnt impose rules to create an environment that prevents there members from achieving those serious goals.

athleticvanessa
07-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Where the dumbells go past 120, there is a seperate fully equipped room for powerlifting and olympic lifters (because most of them are Olympians training future Olympians), an indoor mini astro turf room for football scrimage training, boxing ring and kicking bags, all the old school hammerstrength machines you can think of and then some! Plenty of platforms for deads, squats, and even a spot for the rude asses to do do their curls in! Smh! More than two roman chairs (there are actually four). You can do tire flips down the middle of the gym floor and people dont fuss at you about scuffing it up! They encourage it! There is a sled/prowler to use whenever too! There are olympians, pros, celeb athletes, who train there regularly and you can holler as loud as you want!
Its owned by former NFL players
Its called the Forum athletic club in Johns Creek, GA.
Its month to month and they give you a free week if you care to try, but i was hooked when I visited the first day!

Hit-Girl
07-30-2012, 02:37 AM
I have always thought that as long as there is plenty of equipment, lots of positive energy, and free reign to get after it however I see fit, it is considered hardcore. Or at least accomodating to the hardcore type.
Ya, let people be.

Waylon
07-30-2012, 02:41 AM
Ya, let people be.

Fuck People