PDA

View Full Version : Are you satisfied with your delt development?

AVBG
01-10-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm not.

My routine is,

5 sets of side lateral raises half pyramid up weight/reps drop; 12-8 reps.
5 sets db presses half pyramid up also
5 sets of upright rows full reps to chin 8 reps same weight

I don't directly train front delts and have recently started training rear delts on a separate day with traps.

What do you do? Any recommendations? I want overdeveloped side delts dammit!

RejectedMilVet
01-10-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm not.

My routine is,

5 sets of side lateral raises half pyramid up weight/reps drop; 12-8 reps.
5 sets db presses half pyramid up also
5 sets of upright rows full reps to chin 8 reps same weight

I don't directly train front delts and have recently started training rear delts on a separate day with traps.

What do you do? Any recommendations? I want overdeveloped side delts dammit!

My delts exploded on the following superset(triset). Go straight from one set to the nest until all three are performed.

1. Behind the neck smith machine presses(constant tension, no lockouts)

2. Seated bent over rear laterals

3. Seated side laterals

Doing strict form with no rest between sets, by the time you get to side laterals you'll be hurting pretty bad.

Wait 3-5 minutes & repeat.

Give it 4-6 weeks and I tihnk you'll like it.

NATURAL-1987
01-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I want overdeveloped side delts dammit![/quote]
ME TOO!

AVBG
01-10-2010, 06:22 PM
I want overdeveloped side delts dammit!
ME TOO![/QUOTE]

what do you do for delts?

Minnphat
01-10-2010, 06:30 PM
This has been a problem of mine for years...I would also be intersted in what people do.... I have tried it alll all presses... no presses...a mix..... genetically my worst point and it sucks bc I have big arms makes and it makes me look even more uneven..

Minnphat
01-10-2010, 06:33 PM
I also find that people on gear tend to grow espcially in the shoulder area....

NATURAL-1987
01-10-2010, 08:41 PM
ME TOO!

what do you do for delts?[/quote]
This would be a day that I pay more attention to side of delt.Sample workout would look like this.
Standing Bent Over DB Laterals-4 sets.
Seated DB Presses-4 Sets
Seated DB Side Laterals-4 sets.
Standing One Arm Cable Side Laterals-2 Sets Alternating arms and not resting.

Other Days I will start with doing one side lateral movement, then 2 pressing movements,and finish with one rear delt movement. I have no "Set" workouts. Body changes and need to hit whatever needs to be hit the best way you think you can on that day.

powergraham
01-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Suprisingly, shoulders is one of my areas that sprung up first. My arms are starting to catch up so now I'm really pushing them.

Hammer Strength Press: 2 warm up, 2 heavy work, pyramid up
Smith Machine Military: 3 set pyramid
Side Laterals: 3 set pyramid
Cable Laterals: 1 or 2 sets, burn out
Front Laterals: 3 set pyramid
Bent Over Rear Laterals: 3 set pyramid

I'll aim for 8-12 in my first couple of sets, and shoot for 8 in my final one, but it depends on your preference.

A little trick to really engage the muscle is doing half reps in your sweet spot. Find where you get that big burn in your shoulders, especially on one of the pressing movements above. On that, just do half reps, 4 or 5, then push all the way up, and a long, slow negative. I guarentee your delts will burn like mad.

Apart from that, I've always held the belief that an overall well developed shoulder will look bigger, and most importantly, have a better cap. Deffinitely throw the cables in there, to burn that lateral movement out.

Hope this helps.

weezer
01-11-2010, 12:56 PM
what about shugs; db, bb, close grip pullups.

NATURAL-1987
01-11-2010, 01:40 PM
what about shugs; db, bb, close grip pullups.
I do traps with back because they run down the center of your back and feel them better like this. Sometimes I even do rear delts on back day too so that when I train shoulders it is front and side only. I believe yates does this in blood and guts as well.

Ibarramedia
01-11-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm reading some good tips here. I usually do seated shoulder presses, side db laterals, front db laterals and upright rows.

joedemarco
01-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I always make sure that I include some type of heavy military movement on shoulder day. Usually either seated DB presses or seated BB military behind my head.

raylove
01-13-2010, 10:33 AM
i lack in this department soooo bad and on top of it i feel that my right is noticably better than my left so i always try to concentrate on heavy dumbell presses first then work my way back or forward so ill

DB press 5 sets maybe
side delt machine 4 sets
rear laterals 4 sets
then maybe
machine rear laterals
upright rows or side laterals DB
maybe if i want to fry them ill go moderately heavy standing military press which i feel is a great developer and is lost in a lot of ppls routines. also great for gaining core strength and stability. also i feel i may throw in more trisets giantsets and volume cuz i feel mine have been growing better with volume...

any and all help for tricks and tips would be great for me cuz i really really need to over develope mine to match my back and chest.

bodyhard
01-19-2010, 12:18 PM
My shoulders were lagging behind as well. I am not sure that doing more is what will help them respond, but more-so the intensity and the actual movements in themselves that are put into play.

What worked extremely well for me was the following, give it a try see what happens.

First pre-exhaust all three heads.

Three giant sets (each exercises is done followed immediately to the next with no rest in between)

SET 1
-Front db lateral raises 8-10 reps
-Side lateral raises 8-10 reps
-Bent over lateral raises 8-10 reps

SET 2

SET 3

Your shoulders should be screaming by this point.

Mil Press or Over Head Push Press, Heavy
3 sets 6-8 reps

Again it is not more, just adding some pre-exhaust routine prior to going heavy on a compound movement.

JRob
01-19-2010, 03:27 PM
I do traps with back because they run down the center of your back and feel them better like this. Sometimes I even do rear delts on back day too so that when I train shoulders it is front and side only. I believe yates does this in blood and guts as well.

Same here. Both the traps and rear delts have a nice pump from all the rowing movements etc...

With them being warmed up nicely and ready to go, I feel I can nail them nice and heavy without any strain!

Every now and then Ill do some shrugs on shoulder day though. Depends how my split plays out for the week and if I also decide to double up on trap movements.

If and when I do rear delts with back, I only do about 4sets though (on top of the work I give them during my shoulder wo) to give them some extra attention!

JRob
01-19-2010, 03:32 PM
I always make sure that I include some type of heavy military movement on shoulder day. Usually either seated DB presses or seated BB military behind my head.

I would always do a BB or DB press first or second in my shoulder workout. Ever since I just recently added either or (2 pressing movements in 1 workout) to the end of my workout as well, my shoulder development took off!

AVBG
01-19-2010, 03:55 PM
I've been given the idea to train traps first in order to tire them out so they don't take on the medial head's work.

powergraham
01-19-2010, 05:22 PM
I try to live by the philosophy that "A strong muscle is a big Muscle", a saying that crept up time and time again when I first started educating myself on all things fitness.

That philosophy is one that I think all naturals in paticular should really focus on. We haven't got the added benefits of steroids pushing our synthesis and strength levels through the roof, so we have to optimize every thing we have.

In your original routine, the only big pressing movement you had is the dumbells. If you only want to do 3 exercises, I'd deffinitely rotate that with barbell, to add that power movement into your training, because you should be able to shift more weight if your working your shoulders together rather than indepedently.

I know there is a general idea nowadays that training for strength, and training for muscular mass are two different things, which, yes, I agree with that. However, for the most part I would say that is related to how you train, and how your technique is developed. There is, however, no denying, that a strong muscle, is going to be a bigger muscle.

DBowden
01-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Ever try 'old school' leaning lateral db flys?

devo09
01-19-2010, 07:53 PM
I've been given the idea to train traps first in order to tire them out so they don't take on the medial head's work.
thats not a bad thought, BUT; the traps are a MUCH larger muscle than the medial deltoid, so really it's not going to matter if they are tired.

You need to be mindful of how laterals are performed though; traps elevate the shoulder girdle. So next time you're doing laterals pay attention to whether your shoulders are elevating, they SHOULD stay down as the medial head of the deltoid abducts the arms

DAVIDHARDY
01-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Ever try 'old school' leaning lateral db flys?

Leaning lateral raises are the shit! They really burn out my delts!

DBowden
01-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Leaning lateral raises are the shit! They really burn out my delts!

I used to 'run the rack' with those.
Twist them at the top of the ROM and pause, squeeze the delt.
It totally exhausts lateral delts.

TigerUpperCut
01-31-2010, 01:25 AM
i prefer heavy presses first thing