PDA

View Full Version : Losing my hair!!!!

Doozer
01-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I am a 27 year old female in normal BF %. I am currently being tested for hypothyroidism, anemia,and test levels ( and DHT).....i am experiencing severe thinning of my hair on the first 2 inches...my dermatologist told me to start my birth control pills again ( i had stopped about 3-4 months ago) Anyone else experience this????? I do have anxiety too

GirlyMuscle
01-10-2010, 08:32 PM
If you're using any aas that could be it.

Doozer
01-10-2010, 09:59 PM
If you're using any aas that could be it.

No i've never used any steriods. the only hormones are from bcp-estrogen and progesterone.......but coming off the bcp usually i feel more energy sex drive and acne......

GirlyMuscle
01-10-2010, 10:00 PM
It's hard to say then. I'm thinking it's hormonal but I guess it could be related to the anxiety. Are you on meds for that? Maybe that's it.

I had a bout with losing major amounts of hair right after the birth of my son. Hormones balancing out and all. It went away eventually.

Doozer
01-10-2010, 10:08 PM
the dermatologist said hormonal changes for sure like pregnancy or switching bcp could do it....im just worried its the type that doen't grow back-----DHT the female baldness----its not super noticable right now so as long as it stays this way i'll be ok. Thanks for your input im just really nervous, being formerly very overweight (220lbs) 6 years ago and heavy as a teen my hair was my best feature and i am still attached to it :( although my fiance says its ok if i go bald cuz i'll get to change my hair color every day with wigs....lol

barbellbarbie
01-10-2010, 10:35 PM
that happened to my mother after she had me.. about 2 weeks after i was born she basically lost the first 2-3 inches of her hair.. have you had anything that would cause a severe hormonal change?

GirlyMuscle
01-10-2010, 10:37 PM
I think if it is hormonal it'll come back. I couldn't really tell you from experience since I have so much hair I don't miss it if I lose it so I can't really tell if it grows back. Of course, mine was all over, not just in a certain area.

Are you willing to go back on BC to see if it will help?

sassy69
01-10-2010, 10:49 PM
I'll be interested to see what your tests come back with. Then also ask what can help it grow back. For DHT-related hairloss from cycling, you can use 1% Nizoral shampoo to help reduce the hairloss, and triceptor mentioned on the Test & Hairloss thread that you could rub progesterone cream into your scalp to help it grow back. And generally 500 mg/ day Biotin ( a B-vitamin) helps to strengthen hair & nails.

Doozer
01-11-2010, 12:16 AM
i went friday to dermotologist and he said back on the bcp right away as to prevent further loss if it was hormonal from stopping it seeing as my wedding is in may i really don't want to lose any more. I started yasmin friday night...tests should be back this week....they took 13 vials of blood...if i had to make an educated guess based on my symptoms i'd say anemia but it could all be anxiety and in my head- or i guess falling out of my head :) sorry i have to make jokes so i don't cry

musclemilf
01-19-2010, 09:02 PM
I'll be interested to see what your tests come back with. Then also ask what can help it grow back. For DHT-related hairloss from cycling, you can use 1% Nizoral shampoo to help reduce the hairloss, and triceptor mentioned on the Test & Hairloss thread that you could rub progesterone cream into your scalp to help it grow back. And generally 500 mg/ day Biotin ( a B-vitamin) helps to strengthen hair & nails.

^^^totally agree with Sassy. :D

I'm so glad she brought up the progesterone cream. I recommend breaking open a prometrium capsule (if you could get your hands on some - google In House Pharmacy) and mix it with lubriderm and rub it into your scalp.

musclemilf
01-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Sorry, I meant to add that you need to do the prometrium solution a couple of time a week. Just checked In House and it's out of stock. Keep checking though because they tend to replenish quickly.

cat
01-19-2010, 11:35 PM
I am a 27 year old female in normal BF %. I am currently being tested for hypothyroidism, anemia,and test levels ( and DHT).....i am experiencing severe thinning of my hair on the first 2 inches...my dermatologist told me to start my birth control pills again ( i had stopped about 3-4 months ago) Anyone else experience this????? I do have anxiety too

When I was around your age I was going through a very very stressful time in life. I had entered a professional school after college and it was not going well, I had gotten engaged and was planning a wedding, my apartment was broken into, I was being stalked and my car got stolen....I felt like I was being singled out in the universe for misery. It was then that I noticed that my hair was falling out. ...not 'breaking', but falling out...long strands. It got to the point that I wouldn't let my fiance even touch it because I was afraid that it would fall out more. The good news is that when my life calmed down a bit and some time passed and the wedding was planned and the school thing was sorted out, I then noticed that my hair was thickening up again.

I believe that there is a very strong mind/body connection in everything we do. Your state of mind can create subtle imbalances in your body. I would recommend ou try all of the things that the others suggested [they can't hurt!] plus try not to panic and make your anxiety worse. Most likely when your life calms down a bit and your anxiety lessens, your hair will make a come back!

P.S.-I know how hard it is, but hang in there :hugme:

Also, try not to use any tight pony tail holders, handbands, etc. so as not to cause any tension on the roots

juggernaut
01-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Alopecia anyone? My mom has it, I have it, my bro has it and my 3 year old niece has it.

Is the bald spot about the size of a quarter?

Doozer
03-11-2010, 10:40 PM
no its a general thining in a 2 in section at the front of my head...i do have anemia.