PDA

View Full Version : question about drugs and getting pregnant

debbiebramwell
01-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Hi ladies, my best friend wants to get pregnant. She hasnt had her period, is super lean and I believe was taking test(very little 12.5 mg)anavar, gh,cytomel(she has thyroid problems and doc put her on it)Will any of this affect the baby or someone getting pregnant? Also what about fatburners? What about the guy? If he is on stuff will it effect the baby or getting her pregnant? I know nothing about any of this and would appreciate and insight. Thank you folks!! ;)

barbellbarbie
01-11-2010, 09:45 AM
if shes not getting her period then pregnancy is pretty out of the question i would think. if shes been off cycle a while and this is still an issue it is most likely due to her leanness. when you are too lean your body does try to protect itself as much as possible. part of that is stopping your period so you cannot get pregnant.

men on gear will not effect women in any way not enough of any compound is excreted through seminal fluid to effect a woman let alone a fetus

debbiebramwell
01-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Ok I take it back she is taking liquid adderall(like clen) 5miligrams of liquid anavar,1/2 cc test cyp(1 day a week)she was taking growth but is off.....
a woman cant be on stuff when she wants to get pregnant right?? also wont it effect baby if she does get pregnant? or is it ok and different then taking recreational drugs(which we know are bad for baby)

magnus68
01-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Why take the chance? with fatburners etc? I am a male and was trying to get my wife pregnant for 5 years while "on" it wasn't until I came off and started taking HCG that we got pregnant. Usually the woman takes HCG to increase fertility but in my case it happend both times I was on HCG..two times=two pregnancies. My first child is a beautiful healthy 2 year old and # 2 is due in Aug.

debbiebramwell
01-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Why take the chance? with fatburners etc? I am a male and was trying to get my wife pregnant for 5 years while "on" it wasn't until I came off and started taking HCG that we got pregnant. Usually the woman takes HCG to increase fertility but in my case it happend both times I was on HCG..two times=two pregnancies. My first child is a beautiful healthy 2 year old and # 2 is due in Aug.

thank you for your input. I appreciate it. Congrats to you with your 2 year old and the to getting pregnant again! :)

Suzanne
01-11-2010, 02:38 PM
you shouldn't be on anything when trying or during pregnancy ever over the counter

really the only thing you should take is prenatal vitamin and Tylenol is safe if needed
other that that stay away

unless script for reason and under dr care

I wouldn't even try to get pregnant til off all for several months the first trimester is the most important and when brain is developed

sassy69
01-11-2010, 03:20 PM
The presence of DHT from the various compounds (i.e. the stuff that causes clitoral swelling /sensitivity) is the same stuff that cause androgenic sides in a fetus. I.e. birth defects. So to be really sure, you'd want to clean out for the equivalent of the longest detection time of all the compounds in question. Anabolics 200x used to recommend at least 6 months since last cycle, but some of those compounds can have really long detection times.

RE: all the other stuff - you'd want to be off all of them and also look at any clearing times for residuals. This is just common sense - like Suzanne noted - you want as many artificial influences out of the picture as possible, this includes drinking, smoking, and I'd possibly venture, coffee and other common stims.

s2h
01-11-2010, 06:56 PM
if shes not getting her period then pregnancy is pretty out of the question i would think. if shes been off cycle a while and this is still an issue it is most likely due to her leanness. when you are too lean your body does try to protect itself as much as possible. part of that is stopping your period so you cannot get pregnant.

men on gear will not effect women in any way not enough of any compound is excreted through seminal fluid to effect a woman let alone a fetus
that may be true in a sense but i have a good friend(male) that is a longtime AAS user all 4 of his children where born premature and under wieght and all had more than the average amount of illnesses as babies(birth -4 years old)i have 4 children none of which were conceived while on AAS and had little to no problems.Just food for the thought!!

debbiebramwell
01-11-2010, 07:00 PM
thank you everyone for your input. the more I get the more I can tell her about real live experiences. This means alot to me. thank you, keep them coming!!:hmn:

sassy69
01-11-2010, 07:08 PM
FWIW, I've never actually heard of any female who cycles and got pregnant (whether on cycle or between cycles) producing a child w/ birth defects. But you're still playing w/ basic hormone profiles and its not something I'd want to even consider as a risk, when there are enough challenges w/ just plain old giving birth.

fitbody
01-11-2010, 09:16 PM
my periods were never regular even before i took steriods
if you are not ovulating regularly you most likely aren't gonna get pregnant
i went to a gynacologist i had records of my periods
cuz had been doing that for a long time for an endocrinologist who was trying to help me undo the damage i'd done to myself (ie: facial hair) from the use to some harsh androgens
when my gynacologist saw the records he put me on some progrestrone
a weeks worth if i remember rightly
and boom i got pregnant
now he said it doesn't always happen like that
but it did with me
the main thing is to be honest with your doctor so they can help you

fitmomma3
01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
I know most of this has already been said but to emphasize anyone planning a pregnancy she should start with a routine physical!! They needs to come off of EVERYTHING including birth control (obv, but its suggested to stop 3 months prior to trying to conceive), smoking, drinking, recreational drugs, AAS, over the counter meds and even check with her OBGYN on ALL prescription meds. There are many anti depressants, or other daily meds that can have an adverse affect on a growing developing fetus.

It is also recommend you begin discussing genetic history and predispoistions, as well as starting a folic acid supplement and prenatal vitamin prior to conception. Start eating healthy and get into shape before getting pregnant which sounds like it will be the least of her worries. And not to get tooo personal but preparing emotionally, mentally and financially (you could plan to work your entire pregnancy to save money and be put on bed rest or hospitalized due to complications.)

I'm gonna stop there cause I hate to sound to preachy lol but I cannot emphasize enoug that she neeeds to go to her doctor and be completley honest, I think that will be a nice reality check of what is needed.

fitmomma3
01-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Might be a nice little present...

http://www.enotalone.com/books/034544096X.html

A little excerpt...

You may be wondering why certain baby-friendly actions must be implemented in the months prior to conception. After all, until fertilization occurs, there isn't even a baby in the picture. Well, the egg and sperm that will eventually become that baby go through crucial genetic preparations in the weeks before conception, and you want these to occur under the best circumstances. Because genetic defects do not all occur randomly, the prospect of having some control over this risk is immensely empowering. Also, consider that most birth defects -many preventable -occur between seventeen and fifty-six days after conception, often before a woman becomes aware that she is readiness primes the woman's body so the baby can thrive in those early weeks of development. Take it from us: it is also a lot easier to continue healthy habits during pregnancy and pregnant. Preconceptional beyond if you already have them in place before you are pregnant. And eventually your children will learn the healthy habits that you, their parents, model.
We cannot emphasize enough that the preconception actions of both partners, not solely the woman, can make a difference in the health of their future child. Ultimate success comes when you both feel equally important and act synergistically as a team. You will find a lot of information in this book to help the prospective dad become healthier, better informed, and more involved in what lies ahead.

s2h
01-11-2010, 10:13 PM
one other quick observation my 1st wife and mother off all my children was a full-time aerobics instructor 3-5 sessions a day 5 days a week,you know the gal that can put the tread climber 0n 15 for 1 hour,well all our children were born w/in 15 minutes of her breaking water(2 by the nurse)she did cardio up to a week before birth,so the better shape your in the faster they come out R.I.P hon!!!

debbiebramwell
01-11-2010, 10:17 PM
thanks everyone! I am copying all this and sending to her as the day goes on. The more she hears the better choices she will make. She knew of this one girl who got pregnant while she was on stuff and didnt have her period and I was trying to tell her she cant do that. That girl got lucky....please keep sharing!!

Suzanne
01-11-2010, 10:54 PM
it isn't lucky to get pregnant while on there should be no drugs or anything in your system when you get pregnant

if it isn't important enough to clean up her system of everything before getting pregnant than she should rethink becoming a parent

sorry if that sounds bitchy and preachy but it is my opinion becoming a parent is a huge responsibility that will involve many sacrifices - huge sacrifices and putting another person before ones self

debbiebramwell
01-11-2010, 11:05 PM
it isn't lucky to get pregnant while on there should be no drugs or anything in your system when you get pregnant

if it isn't important enough to clean up her system of everything before getting pregnant than she should rethink becoming a parent

sorry if that sounds bitchy and preachy but it is my opinion becoming a parent is a huge responsibility that will involve many sacrifices - huge sacrifices and putting another person before ones self

I agree completely and appreciate your input. I said her friend got lucky because her child is healthy(he is like 6 or so) and there never was a problem, so because she knows this one girl who was able to get pregnant with no period and still on stuff she doesnt realize that is not a typical story...

fitbody
01-12-2010, 12:10 AM
i wouldn't even you chemical sweeteners while i was pregnant !
i ate super healthy
cuz i knew that everything i was puttin into my body was going to my baby
that nutrition & whatever i put in my body was what was forming & creating my baby
and that was the investment in his health for the rest of his life
having a child is a HUGE RESPONSIBILITY
i get pissed off when i see a woman ingesting stuff they shouldn't be when their breastfeeding
this to me is negligence & abuse
ie: drinking alcohol, smoking or other drugs
that is still gettin into the milk and into the baby
gggggggrrrrrrr........

Suzanne
01-12-2010, 12:37 AM
I agree completely and appreciate your input. I said her friend got lucky because her child is healthy(he is like 6 or so) and there never was a problem, so because she knows this one girl who was able to get pregnant with no period and still on stuff she doesnt realize that is not a typical story...

ah i misunderstood the "got lucky" thought you meant lucky to get pregnant while on and no period

now get it :)

s2h
01-12-2010, 10:14 AM
i wouldn't even you chemical sweeteners while i was pregnant !
i ate super healthy
cuz i knew that everything i was puttin into my body was going to my baby
that nutrition & whatever i put in my body was what was forming & creating my baby
and that was the investment in his health for the rest of his life
having a child is a HUGE RESPONSIBILITY
i get pissed off when i see a woman ingesting stuff they shouldn't be when their breastfeeding
this to me is negligence & abuse
ie: drinking alcohol, smoking or other drugs
that is still gettin into the milk and into the baby
gggggggrrrrrrr........
my 1st wife the one who had all the kids in record time.also ate like you are saying Dawn,clean,nothing that wasnt natural the whole 9 yards along w/ the insane amount of cardio,by the way she would have a six pack w/in 4-5 weeks after birth,yeah some great genetics but alot of discipline and hard work!!!

RealLilSwole
01-12-2010, 07:38 PM
If I am not mistaken, I think Lenda Murray was pregnant one year at the Olympia. It was a year she didn't win. I read an article that stated that she couldn't understand why she was holding water and just couldn't get as lean as she usually did. She ended up having a miscarriage.

I presume she was doing steroids.?? So, if she was it proves that you can get pregnant while cycling. With men who take roids, it decreases their sperm count. Some countries have experimented with putting men on testosterone as a form of birth control.

And as stated before, steroids could affect a baby, especially female. It could cause them to be born with enlarged clitoris or male genitalia. One of the crazy things that I saw when I was doing my mother baby rotation at the hospital was that some girl babies were actually having a faux period when they were born due to the high progesterone/estrogen levels at birth.

As for periods. Just because you don't get one every month doesn't mean that you don't ovulate. I know MANY women who stated they never got regular periods or hadn't had one in years......then they got pregnant.

GirlyMuscle
01-12-2010, 08:39 PM
I know a woman who was pregnant at a national level show and didn't know it. She also miscarried after the show.

ygbodybuilder10
01-25-2010, 12:47 AM
I know a woman who was pregnant at a national level show and didn't know it. She also miscarried after the show.
damm thats sad

s2h
01-25-2010, 08:27 AM
damm thats sadya thats terrible

Lee Penman
01-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Women who are not having their period can still get pregnant as they may still be ovulating.
Although many female bodybuilders have had succussful pregnancies after running gear I would advise waiting a few months to make sure their hormones were back to normal. Hormones play a big part in growth and development and you never know what you may be passing on to an unborn child.......

LisaRD23
07-20-2010, 12:22 PM
I just revisited this thread and was wondering a few things. It is a given that taking any additional drugs whether it be OTC Fat Burners, AAS, Recreational Drugs, Alcohol, etc.. during pregnancy can and most likely will cause defects in the fetus and in the child’s development.

How does the state of conception effect pregnancy? Example- - The man, woman, or both individuals had some kind of substance in their system on the day they conceived? A woman on fat burners…thinks she may be pregnant then stops, the man on AAS, woman was high, etc?

We all hear stories of conceiving after a drunken night…usually the baby is ok…but how much of an effect does that moment really have?

sassy69
07-20-2010, 03:43 PM
I just revisited this thread and was wondering a few things. It is a given that taking any additional drugs whether it be OTC Fat Burners, AAS, Recreational Drugs, Alcohol, etc.. during pregnancy can and most likely will cause defects in the fetus and in the child’s development.

How does the state of conception effect pregnancy? Example- - The man, woman, or both individuals had some kind of substance in their system on the day they conceived? A woman on fat burners…thinks she may be pregnant then stops, the man on AAS, woman was high, etc?

We all hear stories of conceiving after a drunken night…usually the baby is ok…but how much of an effect does that moment really have?

Don't know about alcohol - i.e you were doing shots the night you get pregnant and keep partying until you realize you're preggers and stop --- alcohol, in and of itself, doesn't stay in your system that long so wouldn't expect it to be that a big deal as long as you do stop. If there's already existing damage from a drinking problem, that sort of damage is already in place and part of the environment the baby will be forming in. Recreational drugs I'm not sure about but essentially the same thing.

AAS - here you're dealing w/ hormones where its not so much like you have this foreign substance in your body as much as you have a higher concentration of somethign you already have, than is normal. It will then matter how long the compound is in your system while the fetus is forming. E.g. use of a long-acting ester like test cypionate (which most women don't use anyway) or any other AAS that has a long detection time, will be leaving higher than normal amounts of things like DHT in the environment in which the fetus is developing - e.g. DHT is the hormone that affects size of external genitalia - so could result in androgenized sex organs and other things that depend on normal ratios of the sex hormones to produce "normal" male and female children.

LisaRD23
07-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Don't know about alcohol - i.e you were doing shots the night you get pregnant and keep partying until you realize you're preggers and stop --- alcohol, in and of itself, doesn't stay in your system that long so wouldn't expect it to be that a big deal as long as you do stop. If there's already existing damage from a drinking problem, that sort of damage is already in place and part of the environment the baby will be forming in. Recreational drugs I'm not sure about but essentially the same thing.

I know someone who just had a baby, and the baby was premature (about 5wks) but otherwise healthy. She was pretty much healthy before & during the pregnancy but when she partied, she partied hard and in addtition to drinking took other drugs (not a drug habit, more like 1 weekend a month).

She is pretty sure the night she conceived was one of those nights...didn't take anything once pregnancy was suspected...but is now putting herself through the guilt trip of blaming the premature birth on what was in her system that night.

I'm thinking that since there is no instant cell development untill at least 10days later, whatever was in her system probally cleared, and if she didn't drink or taking anything else after that, then there really was no harm done. But I guess a mother's guilt is hard to reason with.

sassy69
07-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Something else people need to be realistic about is all the things that can happen w/ 'natural' functions. WE aren't responsible for everything and sometimes I think its incredibly naive and selfish to think that WE are the source of anything that worked out even slightly less than perfect. I would go further that the stress from carrying this sort of baggage isn't going to help going forward when that time and attention should be spent just BEING w/ the kid.

sassy69
07-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Something else people need to be realistic about is all the things that can happen w/ 'natural' functions. WE aren't responsible for everything and sometimes I think its incredibly naive and selfish to think that WE are the source of anything that worked out even slightly less than perfect. I would go further that the stress from carrying this sort of baggage isn't going to help going forward when that time and attention should be spent just BEING w/ the kid.

BTW I don't presume to be able to stand in the shoes of a new parent, but I'm just saying to be realistic and pick the things you are going to spend your time worrrying about or carrying guilt over, and what you could better spend your time doing. Its easy to get caught up in drama - but my view of it is that we're human - everyone needs to let the initial shock or stress of something release itself, but once that is over, pick things up and move on, because the other option is to stay static and let the emotion eat you up. There are two states of being - creation and destruction. Creation is SO much more powerful than destruction, but destruction is final and sometimes you can't go back and fix it. Then you're just shit out of luck.

(Sometimes I write this stuff more to remind myself than to preach to others....)

MR. BMJ
07-24-2010, 01:25 AM
you shouldn't be on anything when trying or during pregnancy ever over the counter

really the only thing you should take is prenatal vitamin and Tylenol is safe if needed
other that that stay away

unless script for reason and under dr care

I wouldn't even try to get pregnant til off all for several months the first trimester is the most important and when brain is developed

X2

She shouldn't be on anything, except PNV's and maybe iron pills...for herself.

The boyfriend/husband, it will not matter much to the baby, except maybe the chances of conceiving, which will ultimately depend on his sperm count.

BMJ